PDA

View Full Version : Will Five Teams Tie For The CAA Title?

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Since everyone is coming up with the scenarios for conferences like the SoCon, the Big Sky and the MVFC, are you aware that there could be a five-way tie for the CAA title? Remember Old Dominion is not eligible for the title, or the auto bid. Who gets the auto bid if five teams are tied? Four teams? Three teams? Anyone want to take a shot as this mess.

Unbalanced schedules lead to trouble.

HailSzczur
November 4th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Weird to think that since the conference has been the CAA there have been more ties for the championship than sole winners. Looks like we could be adding to that number.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2012, 12:48 AM
And the bad thing is that some of those teams could end up out of the playoffs.

HailSzczur
November 5th, 2012, 12:55 AM
If I'm looking at it right, it is possible for 6 teams to all have 6-2 records in conference, and for 5 of those teams (bar Towson) to be 8-3. Imagine if ODU could win the title, it would make things even more interesting

Mr. C
November 5th, 2012, 01:52 AM
If I'm looking at it right, it is possible for 6 teams to all have 6-2 records in conference, and for 5 of those teams (bar Towson) to be 8-3. Imagine if ODU could win the title, it would make things even more interesting

If you are including ODU, throw them out. The Monarchs are not eligible for the title.

DSUrocks07
November 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Since everyone is coming up with the scenarios for conferences like the SoCon, the Big Sky and the MVFC, are you aware that there could be a five-way tie for the CAA title? Remember Old Dominion is not eligible for the title, or the auto bid. Who gets the auto bid if five teams are tied? Four teams? Three teams? Anyone want to take a shot as this mess.

Unbalanced schedules lead to trouble.

At one point just a couple weeks ago there was talk of possibly being a 4 way tie for the MEAC title with BCU, DSU, NCCU and Howard.

What's the point of having 12 teams and not have a conference championship game (Which is what scares me about the MEAC going to 12 teams soon.)? FCS doesn't really "allow" for it to happen scheduling-wise, and IMO dilutes the prestige of winning your conference since you don't have to beat everyone to do so. Plus I hate the fact of having to wait multiple years to see a certain conference opponent on the schdule again.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

NHwildEcat
November 5th, 2012, 07:08 AM
No, UNH will win it outright...just wait and see!

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Interesting question. If there is a 5-way tie, I would expect there to be a lot of CAA teams in the playoffs.

Has a co-champion for a major auto-bid conference (CAA, Big Sky, Southland, SoCon, MVFC) ever not gotten an at-large?

Mattymc727
November 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
If Towson beats UNH to end the year, I would find it hard to put UNH in over Towson, even though the records would show UNH at 8-3 and Towson at 7-4.

PAllen
November 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Interesting question. If there is a 5-way tie, I would expect there to be a lot of CAA teams in the playoffs.

Has a co-champion for a major auto-bid conference (CAA, Big Sky, Southland, SoCon, MVFC) ever not gotten an at-large?

The CAA (may have still been A-10 at the time) had a four way tie back when the field was 16. Villanova had a loss to a D-II team and got left out. Sorry, I don't remember the year.

WileECoyote06
November 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Any other year I'd agree; this year is just wacky. With the CAA currently rated the sixth-best conference in many ratings; can they justify admitting that many teams, at the expense of other teams with good at-large resumes like Cal Poly, E. Illinois, Indiana State, Tennessee (MN, SU), EKU, Eastern Washington, Samford?

This isn't 2009.

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM
The CAA (may have still been A-10 at the time) had a four way tie back when the field was 16. Villanova had a loss to a D-II team and got left out. Sorry, I don't remember the year.

I wonder if they had 7 DI wins in that year?

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Any other year I'd agree; this year is just wacky. With the CAA currently rated the sixth-best conference in many ratings; can they justify admitting that many teams, at the expense of other teams with good at-large resumes like Cal Poly, E. Illinois, Indiana State, Tennessee (MN, SU), EKU, Eastern Washington, Samford?

This isn't 2009.

I agree. A very crazy year with a lot of parity in the power conferences. Doesn't make much available for non power conferences.

PAllen
November 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I wonder if they had 7 DI wins in that year?

I believe they did, but it was pretty clear that the committee was looking for an excuse to not send all four to the playoffs. I also believe the D-II loss was late in the season (to New Haven if memory serves).

Anovafan
November 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I believe they did, but it was pretty clear that the committee was looking for an excuse to not send all four to the playoffs. I also believe the D-II loss was late in the season (to New Haven if memory serves).

Nova was 8-3 in 2001 with 8 Div I wins and got left out of the playoffs. They lost mid season to DII New Haven and lost to W&M in a rescheduled end of the season game because of 9/11. It was a sad way to get left out and was Westbrook's last year. That would have been a good playoff team. In 2002 Nova went to the semi's.