PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Championship Thread: Or, "Hate the Gate" week

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
With a brand-new avatar to get into the spirit! xrotatehx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
These are the games that really got me interested in Lehigh football! I grew to dislike Colgate just as much as Laffy! Hopefully there's a big crowd for this one like there was in the late 90's, early 00's.

Lehigh'98
November 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Those games you speak of were very intense. Easily the highest emotion games of season.

Hawk98
November 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
One of the sides of the ball is going to have to be nearly perfect. Defense will have to bring their A game to keep the Gate offense under 400 yds / 25 points, or offense is going to need a score on nearly every drive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
One of the sides of the ball is going to have to be nearly perfect. Defense will have to bring their A game to keep the Gate offense under 400 yds / 25 points, or offense is going to need a score on nearly every drive.

Lehigh the more balanced team. With that said, Colgate's offense is better than any phase of Lehigh's team.

Hawk98
November 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Lehigh the more balanced team. With that said, Colgate's offense is better than any phase of Lehigh's team.

If you were ranking the 6 units, it's probably:

1. Colgate Offense
2. Lehigh Offense
3. Lehigh Defense
4. Lehigh Special Teams
5. Colgate Special Teams
6. Colgate Defense

But the gap between 1-2 is quite large, so not sure the balance will help the Hawks. Going to take the team hitting on all cylinders.

RichH2
November 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
If we hold Gate to 25 points we'll win by20.. Very unlikely but a great dream.
Agree with unit rankings. One caveat, biggest gap is between LU offense and Gate defense..
Agree tho Gate O is a special group. Gate OL has grown up since last yr when they were bad. A very good unit. That is what makes their O work.

van
November 4th, 2012, 12:09 PM
D coordinators need to come up with something special this week!

RichH2
November 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Discipline with gap control. Withat you limit effectiveness of run game. Leaves a lot of single coverage tho.

LehighU11
November 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM

I think their defensive A game would be holding Colgate under 35 points. Raiders have put up 47 in 5 straight! We should be able to put up 45 no problem though. I think Easton High School could have put up as many against 'gate yesterday as the Pards did.

ColgateTD
November 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
'Gate didn't really go to the passing game that much against the 'Pards. Would be surprising to me if Biddle didn't unveil some gadget passing plays vs. the Hawks. Nobody's stopped the "Irish" backfield running game yet, but that's not to say LU doesn't have the horses to shut them down. Should be must-see TV any way you cut it.

Hawk98
November 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
This game is on CBS College Sports, right?

JimLU
November 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
'Gate didn't really go to the passing game that much against the 'Pards. Would be surprising to me if Biddle didn't unveil some gadget passing plays vs. the Hawks. Nobody's stopped the "Irish" backfield running game yet, but that's not to say LU doesn't have the horses to shut them down. Should be must-see TV any way you cut it.

Quick question for our Colgate friends..... Are any of your backs named Hubbard or Van Eeghen? With this kind of running game I would'nt be surprised.....

Remise
November 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
The way McCarney is playing, ten years from now, people may be mentioning his name first. And considering McCord was a DB last year and is now in the top five among FCS rushers, he isn't so bad, either. If Colgate had even a mediocre defense, they would be unbeatable. Hopefully (as an alum, of course), the coaching staff will suggest, with the greatest of tact, to the defense that if they would, perhaps, just this once, hold the other team to under 35 points, Colgate will be in the FCS playoffs!

Regardless, I agree -- this should be a great game. I'm ordering extra beer and popcorn right now!

ngineer
November 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I think their defensive A game would be holding Colgate under 35 points. Raiders have put up 47 in 5 straight! We should be able to put up 45 no problem though. I think Easton High School could have put up as many against 'gate yesterday as the Pards did.

This. I think holding 'gate in the 35 range is necessary and can be done. Of course, that requires our O to be on it's game as well. Haven't kept apprised of 'gate's ST's this year, but overall, ours has been a significant upgrade from last year when it was our Achillies heel.

RichH2
November 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Yes on CBS. Bunch of old farts coming over to watch. Will be a fun day. Have to remember to call my cardialogist.

ngineer
November 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Long range weather forecast has next Saturday in Bethlehem, PA: 55 degrees F and Sunny with 0% chance of percipitation. The Raiders won't be able to skate without any 'frozen tundra'...(;-)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Another reason for Lehigh fans to "Hate the 'Gate" this week - the Johnson City Beatdown.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-5-colgate-35.html

NoDak 4 Ever
November 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I predict a Colgate win, prompting the University of South Dakota to multiply their tuition by 5 and increase their admission standards for possible admission to the Patriot League where they will win every year.

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I predict a Colgate win, prompting the University of South Dakota to multiply their tuition by 5 and increase their admission standards for possible admission to the Patriot League where they will win every year.
Wow, but if SD raises academic standards it'll only have 8 players. Boy ,a real quandry.xchinscratchx

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Notes are up. Haggins and Spadola starting. Loughery back at LB. . Bout the healthiest we've been in a while. Good timing we're going to need all hands on deck to neat Gate.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Wow, but if SD raises academic standards it'll only have 8 players. Boy ,a real quandry.xchinscratchx

Speaking of academic standards, it's quandary

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks 4
A senior moment. I used to be able to blame such on blond hair. Now that it is more white than blond they seem to come with more frequency.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks 4
A senior moment. I used to be able to blame such on blond hair. Now that it is more white than blond they seem to come with more frequency.

Believe me, as a professional smartass I know the first rule of making an intelligence/education joke is always proofread :D

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
So true. LMAO

CFBfan
November 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM
If we hold Gate to 25 points we'll win by20.. Very unlikely but a great dream.
Agree with unit rankings. One caveat, biggest gap is between LU offense and Gate defense..
Agree tho Gate O is a special group. Gate OL has grown up since last yr when they were bad. A very good unit. That is what makes their O work.

Raiders will hang 52 on LU

Engineer86
November 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Raiders will hang 52 on LU

No way remember the only reason you were even close to Lehigh was because we played terrible that day and kept giving you the ball. :D THIS is the game that we finally play four quarters. Honest. No really for real. Seriously. ... I hope.

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yup 86 is definitely right ,I think . Well maybe. There's certainly a chance, if ummm .......

RichH2
November 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Yup 86 is definitely right ,I think . Well maybe. There's certainly a chance, if ummm .......

van
November 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM

8 if they only raise them a little!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Another reason to Hate the Gate - They almost ruined head coach Bill Leckonby's final season in 1961.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-4-lehigh-20.html

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The Game Preview portion of "Hate the Gate" week is finally out!

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/game-preview-patriot-league.html

RichH2
November 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Excellent drink choice. One of my favorite winter drinks.
Wish I could be at Goodman but family circumstances preclude that. Bunch of friends coming over for game. Removing all breakable objects from my cave. Trying to get a defibrilater, just in case. I'm wired already.

Remise
November 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The Game Preview portion of "Hate the Gate" week is finally out!

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/game-preview-patriot-league.html

As a Colgate alum and a subscriber to your blog -- not to mention a former journalist myself -- I would like to commend you, Chuck, on Lehigh Football nation in general, and on this piece in particular. My own work has been pretty much at a complete standstill this week, in anticipation of this game, and thanks for contributing to my lack of efficiency!

B.C. Milligan

Kramden
November 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM

You make a sarcastic comment but a real one; and I don't think the scholarships will help the PL as much as people might yhink unless they lower the academic requirement - they will still not be able to recruit the depth of athletes that your conference can.

RichH2
November 8th, 2012, 03:23 PM
We dont think merit aid will be a magic wand. We compete now with need only. AI will not change. Schollies do give PL access to a much larger pool of recruits. Larger pool more better players. We'll never have depth of CAA et al but more than now.
It would be foolish to assume schollies will make us into a power conference but it would also be foolish to assume we will not be much more competitive with you guys.

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Let's go GATE!

van
November 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM

You make a sarcastic comment but a real one; and I don't think the scholarships will help the PL as much as people might yhink unless they lower the academic requirement - they will still not be able to recruit the depth of athletes that your conference can.

mplbison must have a new alias!

van
November 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Let's go GATE!

Oh, ther're gonna go alright, back to the tundra with a loss! xhighfivex And then we mop up with Easton JC.

RichH2
November 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
P4L, a sad voice crying in the wilderness of despair. Inotice that you are more interested in rooting against Lehigh rather than rooting for your own team . Why not start a thread for Pards-Rams.

Sam
November 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Go Gate!
xcoolx
QUOTE=Pard4Life;1887329]Let's go GATE![/QUOTE]

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2012, 06:12 PM
P4L, a sad voice crying in the wilderness of despair. Inotice that you are more interested in rooting against Lehigh rather than rooting for your own team . Why not start a thread for Pards-Rams.

Eh? I'm voicing support for Colgate... everybody does it every so often for other PL teams.

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM
mplbison must have a new alias!

He was banned from the FCS forum...

RichH2
November 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
P4L
Dont care who you support just commenting that you're coming off kind of pathetic. Always better to root FORyour team rather yham agaimst someone else. But your choice.

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
P4L
Dont care who you support just commenting that you're coming off kind of pathetic. Always better to root FORyour team rather yham agaimst someone else. But your choice.

Let's Go GATE!
Let's go LAFAYETTE! Beat the Yams!

Excuse me while I edit my "MY TEAM" section of my avatar...

heath
November 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Let's Go GATE!
Let's go LAFAYETTE! Beat the Yams!

Excuse me while I edit my "MY TEAM" section of my avatar...

Pathetic, but expected. Seems most Lafayette fans wieners only get aroused when talking about brown *****. Get a life or find a new teamxnodx It must really be hard(or soft)being a pussy.:o

BucBisonAtLarge
November 8th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Go 'Gate!

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Go 'Gate!

It's pathetic that you can't root for your own team and are more excited to root against someone else! xnonox

RichH2
November 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gee, I guess they dont like us probably because they cant beat us. A shame for PL. We used to root against one another when we were opponents and for all of us agaist OOC. For Lehigh it seems that practice no longer applies. Times chamge not always forthe better. Ah , the h*ll with them.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Wow, this is fun. You Lafayette guys have this entertainment every year.... all year... wow... We can't have as much fun, thumping on Susquehanna or Lycoming...

Wrestling has Lock Haven and Bloomsburg, though

ngineer
November 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wow, this is fun. You Lafayette guys have this entertainment every year.... all year... wow... We can't have as much fun, thumping on Susquehanna or Lycoming...

Wrestling has Lock Haven and Bloomsburg, though

Wrong...you guys have us now, too! (;-) Looking forward to us coming out to Soija Pavilion and pin the Bison Chips this year--February 22.

Go...gate
November 8th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Very concerned about Colgate's defensive weakness. I think this game is Lehigh's to lose.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Incidentally, is LB Pat Friel OK? I was only partially following the game on Twitter but I understood he got badly injured late in the game.

Engineer86
November 9th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I consider it a compliment that pard and bison fans are rooting against Lehigh. It is nice to have the target on your back, now we have to win this week against Colgate .... To lock up 11-0 :D here kitty kitty kitty!

Sam
November 9th, 2012, 05:44 AM
He was released same day concussion, possibly back next week

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
We have just officially been called "wack" on Twitter. I am so ready for Saturday.

I never thought I'd say this, but Colgate students really should take a page from the Pards when it comes to trash-talk.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2012, 09:14 AM
He was released same day concussion, possibly back next week

OK. I am glad it was no more serious than that.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
More flashbacks in this Lehigh/Colgate rivalry:

1979: Whitehead takes on his former mentor, Dunlap, and loses 10-3

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-3-colgate-10.html

2004: After Colgate's run to the I-AA championship, a Thriller in Murray Goodman for control of the PL

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-2-lehigh-21.html

RichH2
November 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Very oolite concerned about Colgate's defensive weakness. I think this game is Lehigh's to lose.

Perhaps so but, key factor to me is that Gate does not have to play a perfevt game to win with thatO. Lehigh has to be darn close to error free to win. The matchups should theoretically be a bit to our favor other than McCarney amd McCord but that is a very large " other than".

Pard4Life
November 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Seriously, if Lehigh loses to Colgate this weekend, there is a narrow chance they will miss the playoffs. And, if they lose a second game to LC next weekend, there is a very strong chance they will miss the playoffs:

LUHawker
November 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Seriously, if Lehigh loses to Colgate this weekend, there is a narrow chance they will miss the playoffs. And, if they lose a second game to LC next weekend, there is a very strong chance they will miss the playoffs:

You keep spewing this drivel that Lafayette is going to defeat Lehigh next week. You guys really are delusional.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm pumped for tomorrow. I'm confident the Hawks defense can do just enough.

If Brutus allows it I'll be flying home Sunday for LU-LC. I want to see Lehigh clinch their 3rd undefeated season at Fisher. '98 and '00 being the other two.

RichH2
November 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Good luck owl. Hope you are right about tomorrow.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM
My game breakdown and fearless prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/game-breakdown-colgate-vs-lehigh.html

P4L, you might just want to skip on by this preview.

Pard4Life
November 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
You keep spewing this drivel that Lafayette is going to defeat Lehigh next week. You guys really are delusional.

I'm offering an objective view of reality... you can possibly lose both games, and I'm not saying "in the realm of theoretical"...

Pard4Life
November 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
My game breakdown and fearless prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/game-breakdown-colgate-vs-lehigh.html

P4L, you might just want to skip on by this preview.

"Lehigh, this season, has been the ultimate 4AM team. "

Good, because at 4am, you would be dead... hopefully much like Lehigh's chances. I hope Lehigh shows up at 4am.

...because the crisis starts at 3am...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM
"Lehigh, this season, has been the ultimate 4AM team. "

Good, because at 4am, you would be dead... hopefully much like Lehigh's chances. I hope Lehigh shows up at 4am.

...because the crisis starts at 3am...

xlolx Good catch. I fixed it.

RichH2
November 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Like your score. My gut tells me score wont be that close. Gut leaves out who wins tho.

Go...gate
November 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM
More flashbacks in this Lehigh/Colgate rivalry:

1979: Whitehead takes on his former mentor, Dunlap, and loses 10-3

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-3-colgate-10.html

2004: After Colgate's run to the I-AA championship, a Thriller in Murray Goodman for control of the PL

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/hate-gate-top-games-no-2-lehigh-21.html

LFN, wasn't the first Dunlap-Whitehead confrontation a 38-7 Lehigh win over Colgate at Taylor Stadium in 1978?

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
GAMEDAY
One of the most hyped games in years. Will it live up to hype? Maybe. IMHO, myriad real possibilitied. Gate could roll and win by 20. Lehigh could make it more ofa possession game, 24-17.. Could be a barnburner 56-52. Or least likely LU 35-20,shutting down Gate run.
We knew it would ne a battle this year. LU has provided enuf excitement to last me quite a while. If we play a 60 minute game w/o shooting ourselves in the foot repeatedly, a win. If Gate outplays us more power to them. We move onto Pards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM
no stretch internet broadcast? are you kidding me?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Lehigh D forces a 3 and out and scores two plays later...

7-0 Lehigh 12:09 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Absolute joke that Lehigh is not broadcasting this game.

Still 7-0 6:49 1Q

Franks Tanks
November 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Gate offense looks very mortal so far. Looks like the Lehigh DC has installed an excellent game plan. The Gate D just won't be able to stop Lehigh often enough to win a low scoring game. Unless the Gate running game gets on track quickly Lehigh will win this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
7-0 after one quarter. Lehigh will have a key 3rd and 4 from the Gate 29 to start 2Q...

JSUBison
November 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I was bouncing back between this game and ODU/WM. I've seen enough of ODU this season, so I think I'll stick with Colgate/Lehigh. I'm sure all bubble teams are cheering for Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
TD Lehigh!

14-0 Lehigh 13:36 2Q

They need to step on their throat! Lehigh has shown dominance before only to fall apart.

LU90
November 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
no stretch internet broadcast? are you kidding me?

Game is being broadcast on CBS SportsNetwork. Channel 613 if you have Directv. The national telecast was announced before the season started.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Dont let up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Lehigh makes a huge mistake with a roughing the kicker. Why would anyone be near him?

That's a game a changer...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Colgate scores on 4th and goal from the 1. That roughing the kicker was a huge mental error.

14-7 Lehigh 5:53 2Q

Engineer1985
November 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Colgate scores on 4th and goal from the 1. That roughing the kicker was a huge mental error.

14-7 Lehigh 5:53 2Q

Yup. Absolutely unecessary and entirely the fault of the special teams coach. Up 14-0 he should have been screaming to stay away from the punter. Let em' kick and just fall back into blocking.... and while I was typing Colvin breaks a big one. Check out that roll out and cross field throw!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Lehigh a first and goal. The colgate defense is so bad that it gives them a huge TOP advantage by default.

Engineer1985
November 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
And I don't know if everybody saw Spadola's catch to set up the second TD but a whole bunch of scouts certainly took notice. He reminds me of a bigger and faster Steve Kreider for those of you old enouugh to remember. That was one tough catch.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wow. That is a gift of a TD.

crusader11
LOL. That would happen to Lehigh in a year like this.

Engineer1985
50/50 on an interception or touchdown on that last one! Hard to believe they got it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
TD Lehigh after a batted ball!!

About 3 minutes and change left in the first hald. Cmon defense!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Lehigh with an onsides kick!! why!?!?! Stupid!!

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM
That is an odd choice by Coen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Lehigh with two big special blunders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM
The track meet is on. Lehigh's defense is spending way too much time on the field.

Lehigh 21-14 with a little over a minute left in the half...

Engineer1985
November 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Why would you give Colgate a short field when you might even be able to run out the half with a two touchdown lead? Hmmmm...

Engineer1985
November 10th, 2012, 12:50 PM
On a positive note the Colgate secondary looks like swiss cheese. Maybe they're just confident they can pretty much score every possession... :-)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure about some Lehigh's coaching decisions here.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
WOW, that was good from 50 yards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Perry with a career long FG to end the half!

24-14 Lehigh at half...

If the Lehigh offense avoids mistakes and the defense hangs in, they should win...

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Lehigh ball to start? If they can punch one in, they'll be in decent shape.

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Bad use of clock on last drive too. Thank goodness kicker came through. Time for this team to step up and make a statement to define themselves in the 2nd half.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 01:15 PM
2 dumb mistakes 2 Gate TDs. Like aggressive attitude w onside but dumb call there too risky. Gaul just dumb mistake by player.
Now the dreaded 3 rd period.
D has been bery good.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Traded punts ... which isn't the worst thing for the Hawks. 5 minutes less on the clock, but I would really like a TD drive here.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Dont get it. Start out aggressive in 1st. 3 rd we start out conservative.
Same *****.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
A mistake free drive would be huge right now!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Not sure why Lehigh is trying for so many home runs. I think they can drive the field and give their a break.

Colvin with a pick. The coaches are screwing the team right now.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Mike overtrows open wr INT. 3 mistakes going to be 3 TDs.

Engineer1985
November 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Like I said, a lot of questionable coaching.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
D has to hold.

Doc QB
November 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'm at a Little Gym in macungie for one of my sons friends birthday party, AWAY from radio or TV....pls send updates!!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
The defense holds!! Time to put together a drive guys!!

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thank God for D. Our 1st error not leading to score. We need O to step on it now.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Playing with fire here. Need a score.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
radio broadcast has died...updates please!

Doc QB
November 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Thank God for D. Our 1st error not leading to score. We need O to step on it now.

Cecchini needs to orchestrate a few drives like in Towson game last year, chew up clock, maybe a SAFE gimmick, a spark, something.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Lehigh punt, touchback. 5:12 left in 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Ugh, would have liked to gain more yards on that. It's turned into a defensive struggle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Colgate with a big first down....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Colgate driving. The defense had 2 chances to get off the field but Gate converted 3rd and longs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Feels like Lehigh has won the battle so far but might be losing the war.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
24-21 with :26 left in 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
TD Colgate!

Lehigh 24-21 0:35 3Q

I think Lehigh has to score from here on out. They can't get Colgate off the field...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Lehigh continues to throw on first down. If their defense has to go back on the field they are screwed. Colgate with all the momentum..

The 3rd quarter woes continue///

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Lehigh goes three and out.

They refuse to run the ball for whatever reason. Colgate has the worst rush D in the league.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 02:02 PM
We need Mike to step up. Punt to start 4. Great punt. Please God D stops them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Lehigh has to be able to get a 3rd down stop....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Colgate out of harms way and driving again. The hawks need a turnovver or a holding call or something....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Colgate at the Lehigh 10. The wheels have come off....

About 11 minutes left....

danefan
November 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm torn on who to root for.

Albany's only chance at an at-large is for a lot of things to happen and with a Colgate win (that would be our best win).

But if Colgate wins, Lehigh is in play for an at-large which makes it harder for Albany to get an at-large.

Either way I think our chances at an at-large are slim to none anyway.....so go Gate!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Colgate goes for it on 4th and 1 from the LU 6 and gets it....

Colgate scores a play later and leads for the first time

Colgate 28 Lehigh 24 9:48 4Q

Colgate completely dominating. They'll have to beat themselves to lose it now imo. Lehigh coaches have been brutal today.

Hawk98
November 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
28-24 Gate ... time for the o to wake up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
28-24 Gate ... time for the o to wake up.

They're just running the calls that are signaled. The refusal to run is baffling.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Dline getting worn down.
28-24 for Gate. Mike has not looked sharp since mid 2. TOP ridiculously in favor of Gate. O has no long drives vs a bad D. On our O . Not playing well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Another 3 and out for Lehigh. This one is just about cooked barring a Colgate mistake...

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Another 3 & out. Tired D back on field.
Very disappointrd in O. How can they be so flat vs this D. A shame.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Another 3 & out. Tired D back on field.
Very disappointrd in O. How can they be so flat vs this D. A shame.

The pass hype play calling has been brutal imo. Colgate D has done a great job taking away the passing game. Colgate has played the smarter game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Lehigh may never see the ball again. Colgate just very methodical.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Colgate at the Lehigh 28. Mcord gets 15 yards on 3rd and one..

Time to look towards Lafayette.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Another 3rd and 4 comin up for Gate...they'll likely get it....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Colgate has a 4th down from the Lehigh 19...This will be the game if they go for it...

2:03 left

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Congrats ColgAte they just beat us down this 2nd half. Very impressive

crusader11
November 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Best defensive players for Colgate: Gavin McCarney and Jordan McCord.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Colgate converts on 4th down...

Congrats Colgate, you guys played a smart first half and dominated in the second!

Lehigh has to beat Lafayette now...

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Said we needed error free game to win we did not get it. Congrats to Gate on fine game. O coaches s/b ashamed at how they wadtedgreat effort by D. 3rd period lull again. Time of P ridiculous.
Someone must explain why we stopped running after 1st period.
We made Gate D look great.
Another INT for Mike.
Live by the sword all yr, it got us today. Up 21-7 should never have lost.

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I love our coaches, but they had a bad day today. I really thought we could make a national statement today, turns out Colgate did.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Coen got absolutely schooled by Biddle. He did nothing to help his defense

World
November 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Can't win with these Colvin interceptions

It was about to catch up on Lehigh

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
We could have slammed the door in their face in 3rd qtr. instead we went quietly into the night.

Gater
November 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Amazing. Cannot believe the shift in momentum. Colgate played its most conservative game offensively of the year--which was maddening in the first half. Lehigh looked fast and fired up. I know the announcers kept harping on it but the onside kick up with Lehigh up 21-7 was baffling. I know it would have been huge if they had recovered it but boy was that the shift in the game. Colgate just kept converting on 3rd and 4th down in the second half. Beating the 9-0 defending champs on the road to get into the playoffs after being down 21-7. Amazing. Good luck to Lehigh in the playoffs.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Only 1st INT relevant. O made Gate D look like world beaters. No excuse for being shut out in 2¡nd half. Dave did not have good game. We wore out the D. Not one drive all day by us. Obscene. Gate O much too good to leave on field all day.. Remarkable we held them to 35.
I'll keep asking why did we stop running? Outside run there and we dont. 3rd period 2 inside runs and pass.
Well hope this gets kids up for Pards. Need that for any shot at playoffs.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM
We could have slammed the door in their face in 3rd qtr. instead we went quietly into the night.

+1

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
+1

Most embarrassing loss in quite some time. Onsides kick call is inexcusable as you risk giving the momentum away, which is exactly what happened. No excuse for not showing up in the 2nd half the entire year. That's on Andy!! I for one will be glad to see Colvin moving on. Yes he plays hard, but just doesn't have "it". Also, you saw what can happen today when you run NORTH!! Colgate got a first down it seemed on every 3rd and 2 or 3. These East/West runs for 1 yard just won't get it done. To be honest, if LU finishes 10-1 they should not get an at large. Who have they beat? Done venting. We got what we deserved today!!!

LEHIGH61
November 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Most embarrassing loss in quite some time. Onsides kick call is inexcusable as you risk giving the momentum away, which is exactly what happened. No excuse for not showing up in the 2nd half the entire year. That's on Andy!! I for one will be glad to see Colvin moving on. Yes he plays hard, but just doesn't have "it". Also, you saw what can happen today when you run NORTH!! Colgate got a first down it seemed on every 3rd and 2 or 3. These East/West runs for 1 yard just won't get it done. To be honest, if LU finishes 10-1 they should not get an at large. Who have they beat? Done venting. We got what we deserved today!!!What about that bonehead play by Number12 - running into the punter with a 14-0 lead against an ofense we were thankful to stop on downs. You don't even think about going after the kicker in that circumstance. You would think a coach would remind him of that before the play. I think that was the turning point . We had a legitimate shutout going and then that happens, so it ends up 14-7.

LEHIGH61
November 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Derek Gaul is the bonehead.

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
[QtheQUOTE=LEHIGH61;1888587]What about that bonehead play by Number12 - running into the punter with a 14-0 lead against an ofense we were thankful to stop on downs. You don't even think about going after the kicker in that circumstance. You would think a coach would remind him of that before the play. I think that was the turning point . We had a legitimate shutout going and then that happens, so it ends up 14-7.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that too! D makes a great 3rd down stop, then the penalty. And later, the drop of a sure INT, again, on 3rd down. Overall I thought D played about as well as could be expected. This one clearly on the HC and the "O".

lehighfball
November 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
What about that bonehead play by Number12 - running into the punter with a 14-0 lead against an ofense we were thankful to stop on downs. You don't even think about going after the kicker in that circumstance. You would think a coach would remind him of that before the play. I think that was the turning point . We had a legitimate shutout going and then that happens, so it ends up 14-7.

The onside kick call was worse. I'm still shaking my head over that one.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Onside kick on Andy. O on Dave. Some execution plays on players but O ineptness squarely on Dave. Still a bit mumb and definitely confused w gameplan. Our plan was to let Gate get 44 minutes of possession?
Not 1 sustained drive. More no serious attempt by us to have one.

Neighbor2
November 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Disappointed, for sure. But, we're still 9-1! with a good chance to beat Lafayette, get a playoff spot, and maybe advance.

Lehigh coaching staff came up short.
Clock management was poor.
Not a real good size crowd under the circumstance.
Lehigh always seems to have trouble with quick, shifty QBs.
Feel good for Lehigh kicker.
Colgate's defense didn't look as bad as their fans made them sound.
That onside attempt was downright stupid.
Colvin's high ball interception was embarrassing, maybe critical.
Didn't seem like Haggins had enough chances.
No complaints about officiating.
Lehigh PA announcer is absolutely horrid. BIG TIME horrid. Retire him.

Best wishes to Colgate. You CANsurprise someone in the first round!

Gater
November 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Colgate has had punts blocked and Lehigh has blocked punts. Can see why #12 would be fired up--and he didn't seem that far away from blocking it. It just felt like Lehigh was trying a little too hard--the miss blocked punt, the onside kick, throwing the ball a bunch. Colgate played within themselves--which was incredibly frustrating in the first half if you were a Colgate fan. Once it started working in the second it was a lot less frustrating, and pretty amazing to watch the sticks move and the clock tick. Nice to see a good, clean, hard-fought game. Any win against Lehigh is a great win but this one was up there with the most inspired wins over the past 20 years.

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
At the risk of some posters. Quarterback play? Anyone?

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Colgate has had punts blocked and Lehigh has blocked punts. Can see why #12 would be fired up--and he didn't seem that far away from blocking it. It just felt like Lehigh was trying a little too hard--the miss blocked punt, the onside kick, throwing the ball a bunch. Colgate played within themselves--which was incredibly frustrating in the first half if you were a Colgate fan. Once it started working in the second it was a lot less frustrating, and pretty amazing to watch the sticks move and the clock tick. Nice to see a good, clean, hard-fought game. Any win against Lehigh is a great win but this one was up there with the most inspired wins over the past 20 years.

Go to hell..........but Good Luck in the playoffs......

TheValleyRaider
November 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbeerchugx

Gater
November 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Ha! Meant it as a compliment. Hope to see you guys deep in the playoffs.

lehighfball
November 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Onside kick on Andy. O on Dave. Some execution plays on players but O ineptness squarely on Dave. Still a bit mumb and definitely confused w gameplan. Our plan was to let Gate get 44 minutes of possession?

Agree. Lehigh was outcoached.

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM
McCarney best player in league, hands down. W/O him Gate may be less than average. LU has made everyone's D look like worldbeaters.

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM

+2

lehighfball
November 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM
McCarney best player in league, hands down. W/O him Gate may be less than average. LU has made everyone's D look like worldbeaters.

Agree about McCarney but Colgate's D didn't look like worldbeaters. They were well rested.

ColgateTD
November 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
From the 'Gate vantage point we thought our defense played a really solid second half to seal the win. Without the D we don't win the game. From the LU perspective it sounds like the MtnHawks made the 'Gate D look good. :) Real head scratcher was the onside kick - that, and running into the kicker. But Lehigh had a break too by getting the jump ball in the endzone. I was impressed by the quickness and athleticism of the LU offensive line - feel they really blew us out in the first half. After some adjustments at the break McCarney was able to settle into more of a wide open game plan and do some things. Without the ints and the above mentioned questionable call I can see LU winning that game. Good luck in the playoffs - hope to see you down the line.

LehighU11
November 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Most embarrassing loss in quite some time. Onsides kick call is inexcusable as you risk giving the momentum away, which is exactly what happened. No excuse for not showing up in the 2nd half the entire year. That's on Andy!! I for one will be glad to see Colvin moving on. Yes he plays hard, but just doesn't have "it". Also, you saw what can happen today when you run NORTH!! Colgate got a first down it seemed on every 3rd and 2 or 3. These East/West runs for 1 yard just won't get it done. To be honest, if LU finishes 10-1 they should not get an at large. Who have they beat? Done venting. We got what we deserved today!!!

I completely agree with everything you just mentioned. The players ultimately have to put in the performance, but many of our woes this season have come down to the poor decisions by Coen and the staff's inability to get the players to show up somewhat in a second half. Colvin a great athlete, but just not the best we've had at QB. Don't think we have any chance at the playoffs at 10-1. 4 power conferences will each get at least 3, 6 other AQs, and SHSU will keep Lehigh out. PL champ with perfect league records giving a 1-10 USD team from the MVFC its only win (and by 10 points) says a lot about our conference. Colgate has grown tremendously since then and deserves a playoff spot, but we do not.

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I completely agree with everything you just mentioned. The players ultimately have to put in the performance, but many of our woes this season have come down to the poor decisions by Coen and the staff's inability to get the players to show up somewhat in a second half. [B/]Colvin a great athlete, but just not the best we've had at QB. [B/]Don't think we have any chance at the playoffs at 10-1. 4 power conferences will each get at least 3, 6 other AQs, and SHSU will keep Lehigh out. PL champ with perfect league records giving a 1-10 USD team from the MVFC its only win (and by 10 points) says a lot about our conference. Colgate has grown tremendously since then and deserves a playoff spot, but we do not.

Colvin is not a QB at this level. He has killed them all year long and today it finally had an impact. kurfis was wide open if he throws the ball in the middle of the field, instead he throws it 10yds to the right and forces a wide open Kurfis to turn around for an incomplete pass. Spadola saved him on the catch at the 1yd line as well. I hope they can get in at 10-1, but if not, I will pick the least obnoxious fans and route for that team.

van
November 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I love our coaches, but they had a bad day today. I really thought we could make a national statement today, turns out Colgate did.

+1

LehighU11
November 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
From the 'Gate vantage point we thought our defense played a really solid second half to seal the win. Without the D we don't win the game. From the LU perspective it sounds like the MtnHawks made the 'Gate D look good. :) Real head scratcher was the onside kick - that, and running into the kicker. But Lehigh had a break too by getting the jump ball in the endzone. I was impressed by the quickness and athleticism of the LU offensive line - feel they really blew us out in the first half. After some adjustments at the break McCarney was able to settle into more of a wide open game plan and do some things. Without the ints and the above mentioned questionable call I can see LU winning that game. Good luck in the playoffs - hope to see you down the line.

Great game for 'Gate and the very impressive contingent of fans making it to Goodman. Largest visiting crowd on the season by far, and very vocal. Looked like more than you've had in Hamilton for the past two home games. Best of luck to you all moving forward. I hope you will represent the league well, because we'll need a near miracle to get in.

Certainly a different game than what I expected. Colgate offense was talented, but didn't look much better than what we've seen from most opponents. Our D had a very good game today, though. The 1 yard bonuses from the refs on 3rd down were brutal on them all game. They simply had no time to rest in the second half. Without those numerous CBS breaks, it could have been uglier in the last 30 minutes. The well-rested 'Gate D was the real surprise of the game. They were obviously no pushovers.

van
November 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Colvin is not a QB at this level. He has killed them all year long and today it finally had an impact. kurfis was wide open if he throws the ball in the middle of the field, instead he throws it 10yds to the right and forces a wide open Kurfis to turn around for an incomplete pass. Spadola saved him on the catch at the 1yd line as well. I hope they can get in at 10-1, but if not, I will pick the least obnoxious fans and route for that team.

have to agree with 86 here, Colvin had a bad day. However, even with his performance the game could have been won. There is a lot of blame to go around.

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gates defence did not miss all of those open receivers.

LehighU11
November 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I hope they can get in at 10-1, but if not, I will pick the least obnoxious fans and route for that team.

I'm pretty sure that excludes UNH, the entire Big Sky and SoCon, and NDSU (kinda). Looks like we'll be cheering for Colgate...

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
have to agree with 86 here, Colvin had a bad day. However, even with his performance the game could have been won. There is a lot of blame to go around.

Agree, rough penalty was terrible. How they take that chance when they get the stop most don't is beyond me, but I saw so many opportunities today and we did not have the talent to take advantage of it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I think Colvin has been forced into this offense. I don't understand why they pass so much. This should be a much more balanced team on offense.

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I think Colvin has been forced into this offense. I don't understand why they pass so much. This should be a much more balanced team on offense.

If thatis the offence they want to run, why is he the QB. He may bea great kid, but it is about the team and winning, not rewarding a great kid for three years of loyalty

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM

I've been telling you all year they have NO RUNNING GAME!

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Agree owl, ran very well 1st period. Then got vanilla with runs. Mike not great today too many missed passes , some drops also, but he is not reason we lost. Shut out 2 nd half. Some execution issues, better adjustment by Gate , none by us. Play calls perplexing. Our game plan today seemed.geared to only big plays. Again not one sustained drive all day.
Yeah ,Gaul screwed up but this loss on coaches.

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=RichH2;1888810]Agree owl, ran very well 1st period. Then got vanilla with runs. Mike not great today too many missed passes , some drops also, but he is not reason we lost. Shut out 2 nd half. Some execution issues, better adjustment by Gate , none by us. Play calls perplexing. Our game plan today seemed.geared to only big plays. Again not one sustained drive all day.Yeah ,Gaul screwed up but this loss on coaches.[/QUO

Again, because we have no running game. When we get stuffed on 1st down for no gain, everyone knows what is coming next. With Colvin's inability to hit open guys, opposing D's just load up with the nickle. Look , you go with what you got. But in the future, I would like to see a more "balanced approach". (being the staunch conservative I am I can't believe I said that).

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM
That's OK , Us moderates love balance. Mike not an Air Lehigh qb, so agree he is shohorned into this O. He would actually be better running Gate's O.

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM
That's OK , Us moderates love balance. Mike not an Air Lehigh qb, so agree he is shohorned into this O. He would actually be better running Gate's O.

Ya know, you are absolutely right!

Engineer86
November 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Hard to believe we do not have a better fit if this is the offense we want to run. He has not been good all year and we got by due to a weak schedule.

Southsider
November 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Also, attendance 8036! Embarrassing! Looked like a better crowd to me. If actual attendance is being more accurately reported, why now?

LehighU11
November 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Also, attendance 8036! Embarrassing! Looked like a better crowd to me. If actual attendance is being more accurately reported, why now?

I've never been one to question the attendance at Goodman. Last year and this year, my estimates have always been within a few hundred. However, the announced numbers from the game against Georgetown and today really surprised me. Today, there were easily 2000 people on the Colgate side, hill, and standing around the perimeter fence combined. The home side was filled pretty well even in the corners, so I figured a bit over 7000, 6500 at absolute worst. Unless I'm completely oblivious to fans entering by the away locker room entrance with the Brickman landscaping crew, I have no idea how only 8000 were announced to have been there today.

van
November 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I've never been one to question the attendance at Goodman. Last year and this year, my estimates have always been within a few hundred. However, the announced numbers from the game against Georgetown and today really surprised me. Today, there were easily 2000 people on the Colgate side, hill, and standing around the perimeter fence combined. The home side was filled pretty well even in the corners, so I figured a bit over 7000, 6500 at absolute worst. Unless I'm completely oblivious to fans entering by the away locker room entrance with the Brickman landscaping crew, I have no idea how only 8000 were announced to have been there today.

Easily the biggest crowd of the year, and best attendance by visitors. There were some no shows with the season ticket holders around me, but 8000 just seems too low.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
8046 seems low but visitor side pretty empty. Saw some chaibacks vacant but otherwise our side pretty full and the hill.

Neighbor2
November 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Any way you look at it, it's not like the "old days," but what is?

Gotta remember, there are lots of comp tickets distributed.

ngineer
November 10th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Got in late tonight after having a decompression dinner with the grandkids..."Thanks, I needed that."
I agree this game is primarily on the coaches. To repeatedly be "flat" in the third quarter is unfathomable. Especially in this game. To come out and get the ball leading by 10 and start off in a tight formation and just run straight up the gut when we haven't done well at that all year was truly puzzling. Did we ever throw in the TE's direction? Did we ever go back to that great pass play to the FB? No. Yes, there were execution failures by several, but the opportunities were there and we left them on the table. Roughing the kicker is inexcusable in that circumstance, and directly lead to their first score. The onsides kick I understand that shot taken...we did it last year with success and that is a call based upon what is being seen from up top. We came very close to getting it. But that did not lose that game.
For our offense to be shut out by Colgate's defense in the second half was embarrassing. To downright dominate the Raiders like we did in the first half and turn around have the offense go to sleep in the second has to be a coaching issue. I just got the sense we went 'vanilla'. Nothing creative. I expected a gadget play at some point, like we did at Holy Cross to light a spark. The defense played with such heart. They played more enough for us to win. There were some close plays that could have gone either way, and who knows. McCord is a real stud RB. Strongest runner I've seen this year.
How the kids bounce back after losing this opportunity will be interesting. At 10-1, our recent success in the playoffs, Liberty beating SBU, certainly muddles the picture.

RichH2
November 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Whatever coaches do at halftime, I beg them to stop.
ngineer , agree we saw same thi.gs. No explanation. Andy in postgame put it on lack of O in 2nd half and praised D. He seemed perplexed by O problems. Really?
Saddest thing tonite reading twitter offense players embarrassed by game. I hope coaches are mortified.

van
November 11th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Someone close to Coach needs to convince him to never line up in an I formation with fullback and tailback. Just throw the down away and save the 20 seconds.

Doc QB
November 11th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Full agreement w van,engineer,rich2. Playing 'not to lose' in second half all year comes from top. The 'killer instinct' is needed, and is not always as simple as getting lucky hitting a deep ball. Thats on coaches. No delays from RB out of backfield, RB screens, wheel routes, deep wr cross off play action (until too late), etc. Unimaginative. With better O, we overcome running into punter, on sides kick gaafe, and Colgate 's own O getting yards. Period.

Where I am conflicted is on a season as a whole. The (we) old farts who bleed brown may be expecting to much from what is a margiinally above average LU team, one that maybe overacheiving. What hurts me as a former player, is these kids may go 10-1 and beat LC and miss playoffs, and we remain unsatisfied. 10-1 and bearing LC (maybe a tall order) is still a helluva accomplishment and an effort the kids should be proud of...as would be 9-2 really. They're winners either way.

What will be most interesting of all is where a potential 10-1 LU with close wins against weaker competition stands in the eyes of playoff committee. It will be making some sentinel choices regarding PL inclusion for at-large births. No disrespect to who just beat us at home, but a similar 9-2 or 10-1 ranked Colgate makes our inclusion less suspect and maybe a little easier to justify against 8-3 teams with better SOS. We probably dont deserve it this year, and if invited, maybe an easier out than years past, as may be the 'Gate. A better team plays four quarters, beats weaker competiton soundly, answers critics questions on field decisively and not in chat room blogs. Proud of our guys, but we havent answered that call this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I have to heap credit on Colgate in this game. I think those complaining here miss the point to some degree. Colgate won this game rather than Lehigh losing it, IMO, by discovering a rushing defense in Week 10.

RichH2
November 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
No disrespect to Gate, they are very good. Disagree that we did not lose game. We did. It was ours at 21-7. We then shut down on O and handed game to Gate. Gate got their yds and points . No surprise D held up well but was sabotaged by our O. No offense in 2 nd half. Was it Gate D? Partly, but mostly it was us. 3 rd period our usual lull on zO. Pathetic. We doubled down and repeated it for 4 th. Being a maschist watched game again this AM. As some have said Mike had subpar game. Major issue was calls. Mistake to lay blame on him, or Soto for drops, Oline missed blocks. All occurred but did so within the framework of perplexing vanilla O in the 2 nd half. Doc may be right and Andy pulled a Lembo , playing not to losr.
28-24 . 28 a fine job by D. Where was offense. Zero points 2nd half.
Yup we gave them 14 pts on mistakes. So what. We should have been able to score. We score a TD in 2 nd half we win. O couldn't even keep ball much less score. My take is team did not correctly adjust to game in 2 nd half. On the coaches.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My recap of the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/colgate-35-lehigh-24-final.html

No matter what happens with Lehigh this weekend in terms of (first) winning and (second) watching the chips fall on Saturday, I'll be rooting for this Colgate team. They're a likeable bunch. They could seriously do damage in the playoffs. You heard it here first.

PS. Colgate fans, I think you'll like my recap. Filled with Biddle quotes.

RichH2
November 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Of course will be rooting for Gate. They will surprise someone. McCarney is the real deal behind very good Oline.

ColgateTD
November 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
My recap of the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/colgate-35-lehigh-24-final.html

No matter what happens with Lehigh this weekend in terms of (first) winning and (second) watching the chips fall on Saturday, I'll be rooting for this Colgate team. They're a likeable bunch. They could seriously do damage in the playoffs. You heard it here first.

PS. Colgate fans, I think you'll like my recap. Filled with Biddle quotes.

Nice recap LFN. Very well written. Was very impressed with the LU team...class act. But for a couple of hiccups they would be PL champs. Hope to meet you guys again down the road for a mulligan.

World
November 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'll be rooting for this Colgate team. They're a likeable bunch. They could seriously do damage in the playoffs. You heard it here first.

fully agree

Sam
November 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I want to say thank you I read all of your articles and share with family and friends. My son plays for Colgate and I want to say what a great league these boys are lucky enough to play for. When the season is over we support all patriot league teams and players we watch the games and follow players that go on to tryout for NFL teams. Keep up the excellent work class act!

van
November 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I have to heap credit on Colgate in this game. I think those complaining here miss the point to some degree. Colgate won this game rather than Lehigh losing it, IMO, by discovering a rushing defense in Week 10.

Colgate played a fine game, no disrespect to them, but we lost this game. Up 21-7 on a team with a weak defense and no big strike offense, no excuse for losing.

RichH2
November 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Colgate played a fine game, no disrespect to them, but we lost this game. Up 21-7 on a team with a weak defense and no big strike offense, no excuse for losing.

+1

Gater
November 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Colgate was down 24-21 in the 4th. Their final 16 plays were all runs accounting for two touchdowns. Colgate held the ball for 12:47 of the 4th quarter.

If you don't include Lehigh's last drive that ended in the INT, Lehigh ran 18 plays for a total of 48 yards in the second half with 15 of those yards coming on a pass interference against Colgate.

van
November 12th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Colgate was down 24-21 in the 4th. Their final 16 plays were all runs accounting for two touchdowns. Colgate held the ball for 12:47 of the 4th quarter.

If you don't include Lehigh's last drive that ended in the INT, Lehigh ran 18 plays for a total of 48 yards in the second half with 15 of those yards coming on a pass interference against Colgate.

Yup, we sucked the whole second half. Not sure what's going on in the locker room at half time, but maybe coach should just keep them on the side line all half and watch the band march or something.

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 06:55 AM
No disrespect to Gate, they are very good. Disagree that we did not lose game. We did. It was ours at 21-7. We then shut down on O and handed game to Gate. Gate got their yds and points . No surprise D held up well but was sabotaged by our O. No offense in 2 nd half. Was it Gate D? Partly, but mostly it was us. 3 rd period our usual lull on zO. Pathetic. We doubled down and repeated it for 4 th. Being a maschist watched game again this AM. As some have said Mike had subpar game. Major issue was calls. Mistake to lay blame on him, or Soto for drops, Oline missed blocks. All occurred but did so within the framework of perplexing vanilla O in the 2 nd half. Doc may be right and Andy pulled a Lembo , playing not to losr.
28-24 . 28 a fine job by D. Where was offense. Zero points 2nd half.
Yup we gave them 14 pts on mistakes. So what. We should have been able to score. We score a TD in 2 nd half we win. O couldn't even keep ball much less score. My take is team did not correctly adjust to game in 2 nd half. On the coaches.

I think it's worth mentioning that you (LU) graduated a very good qb that you won tiltles with and were undefeated going into this game and almost won another title. On the other had, HC graduated a very good qb after they won a title and have been awful ever since.

RichH2
November 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Nice point CFB. In retrospect we will likely be pleased w the season, after Andy with so many yrs of losing close games. For now we are on the ledge ready to jump.

PAllen
November 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yup, we sucked the whole second half. Not sure what's going on in the locker room at half time, but maybe coach should just keep them on the side line all half and watch the band march or something.

I like it! Shake things up a little. Or we could just start all freshman in the third quarter, they can't be any worse. (Sadly, I say this only half jokingly)

Sader87
November 12th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that you (LU) graduated a very good qb that you won tiltles with and were undefeated going into this game and almost won another title. On the other had, HC graduated a very good qb after they won a title and have been awful ever since.

HC has hardly been awful since Randolph graduated. They were 6-5 in both 2010 and 2011 and that 2011 team gave Harvard its only loss and was only a 14-7 loss at Lehigh in winning a share of the PL title last year. This year has been nightmarish in its results (5 losses when it led in the 4th quarter) but the team is hardly bad as the Hoyas will see for themselves this weekend.

crusader11
November 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM

HC has hardly been awful since Randolph graduated. They were 6-5 in both 2010 and 2011 and that 2011 team gave Harvard its only loss and was only a 14-7 loss at Lehigh in winning a share of the PL title last year. This year has been nightmarish in its results (5 losses when it led in the 4th quarter) but the team is hardly bad as the Hoyas will see for themselves this weekend.

Yeah, really wouldn't call HC awful in 2010 and 2011. They were a win away from winning the Patriot League both years (lost to Lehigh 34-17 in '10, and 14-7 in '11).

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Sader87;1890078]

Yeah, really wouldn't call HC awful in 2010 and 2011. They were a win away from winning the Patriot League both years (lost to Lehigh 34-17 in '10, and 14-7 in '11).

You lost to GU BOTH of those years and my account has GU playing LU those same 2 years for the PL title

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Witha 4th string freshman QB GU is better then HC and has been for the last THRE YEARS. period!!!! Beat you 2 years in a row and 1 - 9 is not 5 - 5 with a 4th string FRESHMAN QB!!!!!

Sader87
November 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
So by your logic, any team that loses to GTown in consecutive seasons is awful?

Looks like we have a "budding rivalry" here....can it match the all impotant tussle in Lehigh Valley????

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
So by your logic, any team that loses to GTown in consecutive seasons is awful?

Looks like we have a "budding rivalry" here....can it match the all impotant tussle in Lehigh Valley????

ha! hope you understand i'm just having a little fun. last week of the season and very few GU/HC posters on here so please read my posts in that context!!

Sader87
November 12th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think GU-HC could be a good football rivalry but it has a lot of problems going forward: it looks like GU won't add football scholarships, the distance between the two schools etc. This is actually one of my bigger gripes with HC in the PL, we've really never replaced BC with a true football rival and all that that entails.

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I think GU-HC could be a good football rivalry but it has a lot of problems going forward: it looks like GU won't add football scholarships, the distance between the two schools etc. This is actually one of my bigger gripes with HC in the PL, we've really never replaced BC with a true football rival and all that that entails.

yes, i agree. without scholarships and facilities that are just awful i just don't see how GU can stay competitive?
if they do their is a good distance but....it would make a really good rivalry
are you make the trek to dc?

Sader87
November 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
yes, i agree. without scholarships and facilities that are just awful i just don't see how GU can stay competitive?
if they do their is a good distance but....it would make a really good rivalry
are you make the trek to dc?

Can't do it this year but not averse to doing it most years as I have friends/family in the DC/Annapolis area. It makes for a good road trip obviously, the other problem though is that a "last game" in DC (going forward) may hinder a lot of HC alums/fans in the Northeast from making the trek down to DC the week before Thanksgiving.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm not used to having a Lehigh thread hijacked by Hoyas and Crusaders.