PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 11.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
I was 2-2 today. ASU and Samford surprised me today and for what it's worth, ASU beating Georgia Southern was a good miss. Here is where I have it with two weeks left in the season.

1) Appalachian State (IN) - first-ever win vs. No. 1 ranked team on the road + Wofford loss = back on top.
2) Georgia Southern (IN) - Eagles hung in there with some hurt players (as was ASU).
3) Wofford (1 of 2) - loss vs. Samford places them in an elimination game vs. Chattanooga next week.
4) Samford (2 of 2) - win vs. Wofford keeps their playoff hopes alive.
5) The Citadel (2 of 2) - fights off a spirited effort vs. Elon
6) Chattanooga (out)* - spots WCU lead and mounts a comeback
7) Furman (out) - licking their wounds and healing up against ASU next week.
8) Elon (out) - effort was good vs. The Citadel
9) Western Carolina (out) - another 0-8 season, doubtful next season will be a repeat.

*Chattanooga can win a share of SoCon title if they win out but not get the autobid because of tiebreakers.

Predictions
Samford @ Elon - Bulldogs win to keep their playoff hopes alive.
The Citadel @ VMI - Bulldogs win to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Chattanooga @ Wofford - Terriers win this one to claim at least a share of the SoCon title.
Howard @ Georgia Southern - Eagles take out frustrations on Howard.
Furman @ Appalachian State - Mountaineers finish the season on a high note.

Autobid
Georgia Southern - wins autobid with ASU loss
Appalachian State - wins autobid with win vs. Furman and possibly a Chattanooga win vs. Wofford
Wofford - wins autobid with win vs. Chattanooga and lots of help via tiebreakers.

The burning question is Samford and The Citadel win out (very likely since Samford has Kentucky in their season finale) and assuming Wofford defeats Chattanooga is, can the SoCon get five teams in the playoffs this year?

SpiritCymbal
November 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
The burning question is Samford and The Citadel win out (very likely since Samford has Kentucky in their season finale) and assuming Wofford defeats Chattanooga is, can the SoCon get five teams in the playoffs this year?

I think the SoCon is a 3-bid team at best.

gsu_paintballer
November 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
How anyone can separate GSU, ASU and Wofford at the top is beyond me.

dungeonjoe
November 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
It has been a heck of a year.

Saint3333
November 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM

Not even going to try. Heck ranking anyone other than WCU is tough.

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
xbowx

App1928
November 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Autobid
Georgia Southern - wins autobid with ASU loss
Appalachian State - wins autobid with win vs. Furman and possibly a Chattanooga win vs. Wofford
Wofford - wins autobid with win vs. Chattanooga and lots of help via tiebreakers.

The burning question is Samford and The Citadel win out (very likely since Samford has Kentucky in their season finale) and assuming Wofford defeats Chattanooga is, can the SoCon get five teams in the playoffs this year?[/QUOTE]

ASU wins autobid with wofford win also (likely) because as asu, gsu, and wofford beat each other....they will look to the teams results vs the 4th place team, (they will pass chatty because under this asumption all 3 would have beaten chatty), then they would look toward samford, wofford lost to samford and asu beat gsu head-to-head....i know its alot, but if ASU wins they will very very likely get the auto-bid. the only way this doesnt work is if elon beats samford....then it gets tricky

atlfcsfan
November 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
1a. App. St - pulled out one when they needed it bad
1b. Ga Southern - lost chance at outright championship
1c. Wofford - bad loss, playoff chances took a serious blow, must win.
4. Chattanooga - can still share in conference title
5. Samford - after heartbreak loss to App, get a big win
6. Citadel - best season in years.
7. Furman - will try to be a spoiler next week
8. Elon - beat goes on
9. W CArolina - what can I say

App St. 45 Furman 27 - App claims part of conference championship
GSU 35 Howard 7 - Eagles take it out on the Bison
Wofford 21 Chatty 17 - Woff claims their share too
Citadel 28 VMI 24 - Bulldogs squeak it out
Samford 31 Elon 21 - Sammy rolls again

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
1. Georgia Southern - the best looking out over the whole season and not just on one day
2. App - playing for their playoff lives, they manage to win
3. Wofford - tough loss to a good Samford team
4. Chatty - out of nowhere, in conention to get a share of the championship
5. Samford - right behind Chatty
6. The Citadel
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western

App over Furman
GSU over Howard
Wofford over Chatt
El Cid blows out VMI
Sam over Elon

chattownmocs
November 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Dude has chattanooga ranked 6 in power rankings. Be serious.

chattownmocs
November 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Chattanooga will seperate wofford from asu and gsu next week.

theasushow
November 4th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Chattanooga will seperate wofford from asu and gsu next week.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me, Wofford averaged 47 points in their first 5 games, and 22 in the past 4...granted they whooped ASU, but overall I think teams are figuring out Wofford's offense. Plus UTC is on fire right now and could be very easily riding a 5 game winning streak were it not for the GSU game.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 4th, 2012, 05:14 AM
It honestly wouldn't surprise me, Wofford averaged 47 points in their first 5 games, and 22 in the past 4...granted they whooped ASU, but overall I think teams are figuring out Wofford's offense. Plus UTC is on fire right now and could be very easily riding a 5 game winning streak were it not for the GSU game.

not to mention win the SoCon title outright had they beat Georgia Southern assuming they win out.

Horseshoe App
November 4th, 2012, 06:01 AM
This is the best poll I've seen. Very hard to separate the top 3.

1a. App. St - pulled out one when they needed it bad
1b. Ga Southern - lost chance at outright championship
1c. Wofford - bad loss, playoff chances took a serious blow, must win.
4. Chattanooga - can still share in conference title
5. Samford - after heartbreak loss to App, get a big win
6. Citadel - best season in years.
7. Furman - will try to be a spoiler next week
8. Elon - beat goes on
9. W CArolina - what can I say

App St. 45 Furman 27 - App claims part of conference championship
GSU 35 Howard 7 - Eagles take it out on the Bison
Wofford 21 Chatty 17 - Woff claims their share too
Citadel 28 VMI 24 - Bulldogs squeak it out
Samford 31 Elon 21 - Sammy rolls again

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I don't see App State blowing out Furman. In fact, I think Furman is going to be a tough draw for the Mountaineers. Furman is coming off a bye week after going on the road and shutting down a pass happy offense (something I didn't think they could do). App's defense is not particularly good, and I think if the Paladins can keep their offense on the field they will make this game extremely tight.

I noted this somewhere else, but only one FCS team has lead Furman after three quarters by more than a touchdown (Coastal Carolina by 11). Furman has been within one score of every other team. They can hang around with anyone.

GATA_Eagles
November 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I don't see App State blowing out Furman. In fact, I think Furman is going to be a tough draw for the Mountaineers. Furman is coming off a bye week after going on the road and shutting down a pass happy offense (something I didn't think they could do). App's defense is not particularly good, and I think if the Paladins can keep their offense on the field they will make this game extremely tight.

I noted this somewhere else, but only one FCS team has lead Furman after three quarters by more than a touchdown (Coastal Carolina by 11). Furman has been within one score of every other team. They can hang around with anyone.

Furman fan for a day next Saturday.

kdinva
November 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Samford 31 @ Elon - 21
The Citadel 23 @ VMI 13
Chattanooga 19 @ Wofford 34
Howard 13 @ Georgia Southern 38
Furman 10 @ Appalachian State 37

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Nothing against Furman, but app was left for dead, now we are playing for a championship, no way they lose this one, App 34, Furman 17

SoCon48
November 4th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Nothing against Furman, but app was left for dead, now we are playing for a championship, no way they lose this one, App 34, Furman 17

I hope you're right. A few weeks ago, posters on here were saying this year marked the end of a dynasty. Next year, barring attrition, should be the year of the App.

asumike83
November 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM

The combination of a possible letdown and Furman having two weeks to prepare coming off a bye concerns me. We had just gotten a win over GSU with a title on the line when we played them last year too.

Their pass defense showed up against Elon but the Phoenix do not have the ground game or a back like Steven Miller to balance their offense. I think App wins but we'll have to come to play because Furman will be bringing their lunch pail for this one.

straightshooter
November 4th, 2012, 08:03 AM
It's going to be tough for App State to bring the same game against Furman, even at the Rock. They're beat up just like GSU. That game yesterday in Paulson really was the "Black and Blue Bowl" in many ways.

asumike83
November 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
1-3) Appalachian, Georgia Southern, Wofford: The three best teams in the conference, all 1-1 against the other two. A loss by ASU or Wofford could change things but too close to call.
4-6) Chattanooga, The Citadel, Samford: Could still see a playoff bid come from this bunch, just more inconsistent than the top three.
7) Furman: Tough team, coming off a bye week. A few close losses from being a contender.
8) Elon: Great passing game but lack of balance offensively and a weak defensive front is holding them back.
9) Western: Improved and more competitive but has a ways to go.

Furman at Appalachian
Samford at Elon
Chattanooga at Wofford
The Citadel at VMI
Howard at Georgia Southern

eaglewraith
November 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
The combination of a possible letdown and Furman having two weeks to prepare coming off a bye concerns me. We had just gotten a win over GSU with a title on the line when we played them last year too.

Their pass defense showed up against Elon but the Phoenix do not have the ground game or a back like Steven Miller to balance their offense. I think App wins but we'll have to come to play because Furman will be bringing their lunch pail for this one.

This is exactly what I'd be thinking if I were an App fan. That was a huge emotional win yesterday for you guys. It could be easy to let off. In your eyes you might already consider yourself as having a share of the title as well, and that could cause them to be a little lax.

Furman is gonna run hard at you, and they are a lot better/more consistent at blocking than we are. We're stout against the run and they were whipping us up and down the field for a while.

I'd be even more concerned that it seems like they may have figured out how to improve their pass defense.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I think there are multiple factors as to why Wofford's offense isn't clicking as well as it was in the first few games including

A)playing a tougher schedule
B) We're at the point in the year where defenses will have played option teams twice before, so naturally they are going to defend us at least a little better
C) Offensive injuries. We played our 3rd string QB for the entire second half against Samford (both the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart are injured), we haven't had our 2nd best playmaker on offense for seemingly half of the year, and a senior all-conference OL. Our defense is kind of banged up, but let's face it, they are actually performing well enough to keep us in games, and overall the depth there helps us.

If we beat Chattanooga, I would not be the least bit surprised if we showed up in the playoffs with all of the aforementioned injured players back and we hit on all cylinders.

With that said, I am concerned about beating Chattanooga period.

Saint3333
November 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
It's going to be tough for App State to bring the same game against Furman, even at the Rock. They're beat up just like GSU. That game yesterday in Paulson really was the "Black and Blue Bowl" in many ways.

App will likely get two starters back in LB Grier and OL Acey as well as another week for Jackson to heal.

Saint3333
November 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Wofford is who many posters said they were a solid team that hadn't played anyone through the first six games.

I do think they beat UTC and perform well against non-conference teams in the playoffs.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I hope you're right. A few weeks ago, posters on here were saying this year marked the end of a dynasty. Next year, barring attrition, should be the year of the App.

No it shouldnt.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Chattanooga is more inconsistent than ASU Mike? How?

Saint3333
November 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Your disappointment each season seems to be consistent.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
This is exactly what I'd be thinking if I were an App fan. That was a huge emotional win yesterday for you guys. It could be easy to let off. In your eyes you might already consider yourself as having a share of the title as well, and that could cause them to be a little lax.

Furman is gonna run hard at you, and they are a lot better/more consistent at blocking than we are. We're stout against the run and they were whipping us up and down the field for a while.

I'd be even more concerned that it seems like they may have figured out how to improve their pass defense.

I don't think Elon's lack of a running game really was the determining factor. Every team, regardless of the run, has been able to throw on Furman this year. Even run only teams like Wofford and GSU had long touchdown passes against the Paladins. At the end of the day, Furman went up to Elon and just whipped the Phoenix at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Furman's issues are well documented. Their offense struggles to stay on the field, and is atrocious in the red zone (why their total offense and scoring offensive ranks are completely different). Finally against Elon, Furman was able to counter what defenses have been doing to them the past few weeks - bringing constant pressure against the true freshman quarterback. Elon blitzed a bunch, and Hannon's passes finally found Furman receivers in space. If you aren't bringing pressure, you are inviting Jerodis Williams to chew up ground between the tackles. For the first time last week Furman's offense was able to handle the pressure of the defense, and punish their opponent for doing it.

If they show up with that kind of ability in Boone, they'll be just fine.

T-Dog
November 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
This week a look back at the huge upset in Statesboro, how the conference race blew open and the tortured recent history of Furman.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Conquering Statesboro, SoConfusion And The Furple Hurdle (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeecqsatfh/)

As far as picks go.

Samford @ Elon - 28-17 - The Bulldogs are riding high after beating Wofford.
The Citadel @ VMI - 35-10 - VMI is a bad team.
Chattanooga @ Wofford - 28-21 - UTC continues their upward trend to knock Wofford out of the playoffs.
Howard @ Georgia Southern - 42-7 - GSU rests their best players but still roll
Furman @ Appalachian State - 35-21 - Furman throws several kitchen sinks but ASU gets their trophy.

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
1) ASU - I think GSU may be the better team overall, but ASU gets the top spot this week
2) GSU - see above
3) Chattanooga - team is on a roll and had momentum on their side
4) Wofford - key injuries have hurt the offense, Britenstein can't do it all by himself
5) Samford - made the big plays when they needed to
6) The Citadel - mid-season slump hurt their playoff chances, but there are on a roll
7) Furman - Horsey people finish the season with two rivalry games and a chance to move up.
8) Elon - need to win to move up
9) Western - getting closer, but this is football not horseshoes.

Furman at App State - Appies have lost 2 home games this year, could have a let-down after big win and Furman itching to play spoiler. ASU, however, usually wins the games they need to win and pull away in the 4th quarter 38-24
Samford at Elon - Sammy wins by 14
Chattanooga at Wofford - Wofford banged up with 1st and 2d team QB's injured. Chatty should win easily, but Terriers find a way to win (or Mocs find a way to lose). Wofford 21-20
Howard at GSU - only meaning to this game is playoff positioning, GSU 49-21
Citadel at VMI - Big rivalry that very rarely produces a big game. SC play soldiers 35, Virginia Toy Soldiers 7

Playoff predictions:
GSU is a sure bet, outside chance at a seed
ASU is in with a win over Furman, a loss puts them on the bubble, but they probably squeek in.
Wofford needs to beat Chatty to be eligible, as much as I would like to beat the Gamecocks, I don't think we will do well there. A WC win and ASU loss would put the Terriers in easily, a three way tie and we are on the bubble but probably take a long plane ride for the first round.

Citadel - could get to 7 D-I wins, and has marquee victories over ASU and GSU, but probably on the outside looking in. If ASU and WC lose this weekend, there may be enough of a push to get a 2d SoCon team in and Citadel has a chance. (There is a lot more politics in the committee than many want to accept).

Chatty - may "deserve" a spot, but can't get 7 DI wins

everybody else is out

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM
1. Appalachian State-May have the same conference record as the other two contenders, but going on the road to beat the #1 team is enough to plop us at numero uno for this week.
2. The Stink-Hard fought rivalry games will do this to you. Still poised for a deep playoff run.
3. Woffy-Not looking so good now that you have to play decent teams every week. If only the cupcake hangover had come against App.
4. Chatty-On a hot streak for sure.
5. Lil Sammy-Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
6. El Cid-Flash in the pan at the beginning of the season. back to the cellar with you
7. Furple-Could get ugly in Boone
8. The fElons-Long since out of the hunt
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tamounts- (fart sound)

Furple at App State (35-21): No way we make the same mistake again and forfeit our championship to the Stink courtesy of Furple. 30k in all black will see us hoist our trophy.
Howard at The Stink (64-13): An angry Stink team beats up on an HBU. Stink students attack the Howard bus just because it's in their nature.
Wofford at Chatty (24-17): Chatty stays hot and upsets the ankle biters. Somehow, they have become quite good at defending the triple option and despite having a terrible offense they win.
El Cid at VMI (37-17): Gay men all over South Carolina celebrate.
Lil Sammy at fElon (28-24): The fElons give it the old college try, but a solid Sammy team is too much.

asucrutch23
November 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM
everybody else is out

Just a small point here. What about an 8-3 (7-3 D1) Samford that would have wins over Wofford, The Citadel, and Kentucky? I know it's unlikely, but what are the chances for them if they win out?

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM

They are playing very well right now, without question. Even in the loss to GSU, they looked good. They are hitting their stride late but unfortunately, they lost 2 of their first 3 FCS games which is why I'd say their season as a whole has been inconsistent.

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Just a small point here. What about an 8-3 (7-3 D1) Samford that would have wins over Wofford, The Citadel, and Kentucky? I know it's unlikely, but what are the chances for them if they win out?

Kentucky may not be a good SEC team, but they are still an SEC team.

I would love for the SoCon to go 3-0 vs. the SEC in two weeks, but it ain't gonna happen.

If Sammy beats Kentucky they would be in the same situation as the Citadel, and would need help to get in - the SoCon will not get 4 spots in the playoffs. Although a win over Kentucky might be enough for a spot.

I stand corrected.

asucrutch23
November 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Kentucky may not be a good SEC team, but they are still an SEC team.

I would love for the SoCon to go 3-0 vs. the SEC in two weeks, but it ain't gonna happen.

If Sammy beats Kentucky they would be in the same situation as the Citadel, and would need help to get in - the SoCon will not get 4 spots in the playoffs. Although a win over Kentucky might be enough for a spot.

I stand corrected.

They are essentially out, as even beating an SEC team might not be enough. But we saw what a SoCon team fighting for its playoff life (2011 Furman at Florida) can do. Never say never. Wofford needs to take care of business this weekend and not put themselves in the same situation.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2012, 09:49 AM
1. Appalachian State-May have the same conference record as the other two contenders, but going on the road to beat the #1 team is enough to plop us at numero uno for this week.
2. The Stink-Hard fought rivalry games will do this to you. Still poised for a deep playoff run.
3. Woffy-Not looking so good now that you have to play decent teams every week. If only the cupcake hangover had come against App.
4. Chatty-On a hot streak for sure.
5. Lil Sammy-Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
6. El Cid-Flash in the pan at the beginning of the season. back to the cellar with you
7. Furple-Could get ugly in Boone
8. The fElons-Long since out of the hunt
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tamounts- (fart sound)

Furple at App State (35-21): No way we make the same mistake again and forfeit our championship to the Stink courtesy of Furple. 30k in all black will see us hoist our trophy.
Howard at The Stink (64-13): An angry Stink team beats up on an HBU. Stink students attack the Howard bus just because it's in their nature.
Wofford at Chatty (24-17): Chatty stays hot and upsets the ankle biters. Somehow, they have become quite good at defending the triple option and despite having a terrible offense they win.
El Cid at VMI (37-17): Gay men all over South Carolina celebrate.
Lil Sammy at fElon (28-24): The fElons give it the old college try, but a solid Sammy team is too much.

why?

The Eagle's Cliff
November 5th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I believe the SoCon is very mediocre this year, hence the top 7 parity. NC will come from MVC or Big Sky. I don't think ODU has enough defense.

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 09:56 AM
why?

Where do I start?

-You're standing between Appalachian State and the Appalachian State trophy (aka the SoCon championship)
-We will not overlook you and look ahead to the playoffs after what happened last year.
-We have one of our best O lineman and LB's returning.
-We have the most balanced offense in the SoCon.
-If any team's Qb/receivers are going to do well against your strong secondary, its the ASU passing attack.
-Stephen Miller
-Black Saturday: the loudest autumn day in the Southern Conference
-You're wearing purple
-Also sodomy

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I believe the SoCon is very mediocre this year, hence the top 7 parity. NC will come from MVC or Big Sky. I don't think ODU has enough defense.

I agree in principal, but wouldn't use the word "mediocre", but there are no great teams.
GSU hasn't really got the offense rolling the way it usually does on October and November.
ASU has got the job done quietly, but has not really been impressive, and has issues on defense.
Wofford has been so dependant on one player (Britenstein) that the option no longer works.
Chattanooga is bipolar.
The Citadel equally bipolar
Sammy is stable, but not flashy
Furman has had a disappointing season, as has Elon, and Western.

GSU's erratic offense will not get them far in the playoffs.
ASU's defense isn't strong enough for a big run, but they won't have to face an option team early on, if at all.
Wofford (if we get in) is running out of players.

On the other hand, the 2007 ASU team that went 5-2 in the SoCon went on to win the NC, so I may be wrong.

SpeedkingATL
November 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Samford @ Elon - Sammy continues a late, hopefull playoff push. More balanced attack than Elon. 31-17 Dogs.
The Citadel @ VMI - Bellhops run at will. VMI is not very good. 41-14 Dogs.
Chattanooga @ Wofford - UTC continues their good play and Wofford has no answer. 28-21 Mocs.
Howard @ Georgia Southern - A beatup, pissed off GaSo welcomes Howard to the Stink. 48-17.
Furman @ Appalachian State - A typical slugfest against Furple. Furple fumbles on the App 5 yard line with 30-seconds left and App recovers to seal victory. 31-24 Apps.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Where do I start?

-You're standing between Appalachian State and the Appalachian State trophy (aka the SoCon championship)
-We will not overlook you and look ahead to the playoffs after what happened last year.
-We have one of our best O lineman and LB's returning.
-We have the most balanced offense in the SoCon.
-If any team's Qb/receivers are going to do well against your strong secondary, its the ASU passing attack.
-Stephen Miller
-Black Saturday: the loudest autumn day in the Southern Conference
-You're wearing purple
-Also sodomy

Was that linebacker on the field during the game of two hand touch against the Citadel?

Furman has already aptly handed the SoCon's best passing offense. That was the same offense that put up over 500 yards against App State in Boone.

I believe I read most of this nonsense last year too.

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Was that linebacker on the field during the game of two hand touch against the Citadel?
He was sick with a stomach virus during the game, but saw action. He's a captain and literally took a knee and vomited on the sideline while the captains were walking out, just prior to the game.

Furman has already aptly handed the SoCon's best passing offense. That was the same offense that put up over 500 yards against App State in Boone.
Ignorance is reveled here. I assume you're talking about Elon and you couldn't be more wrong. We have 3 of the 4 best receivers in this conference along with the best QB. Mellete is Mellete, but lets not pretend that one guy is the best passing attack in the SoCon. Ask Georgia Southern.

Last year was a textbook example of coming out flat and looking ahead to the coming weeks. That will NOT happen two years in a row.

You never addressed the fact that we're playing at The Rock, which obviously wasn't the case last year. After the big win this week, the place will be even more deafening than usual.

It could get ugly.

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I am confused by the comments about Chattanooga...particularly, bipolar and inconsistent.

I am not sure what the expectations were from everyone? Maybe it is just because everyone spends so much time arguing with chattownmocs.

Going into the season, most well-reasoned Moc fans expected the defense to be good to great and the offense to be VERY young and depth on the Oline was a concern.

The Mocs started the season at an FBS opponent and played relatively well (34-13)...they kept it close until the 4th quarter.

They played toe to toe at Jacksonville State. Granted, JSU hasn't ended up being that good this year, but that is the closest thing the Mocs have to rivalry game (and JSU gets up for the Mocs every time). And, of course, that doesn't even include the whole "T-Rob quitting/they're starting Daddy's Boy" incident the week before the game (any team would have a tough week with that circus).

They did pretty much what was expected against Glenville State.

The only really poor performance this year was against ASU at home...and that game was close until ASU put away the Mocs in the 4th quarter.

Since that game, the Mocs are 4-1 with the only loss being triple OT thriller to GSU.

In the 4 SoCon games they have won, they played a close game with Samford (nothing to sniff at) and beat the 3 teams below them in the standings (the Citadel, Furman, and WCU) by an average of 19 points a game...all three of those games being on the road. Playing a poor half at WCU doesn't surprise me, after GSU and playing the worst team in the conference, many figured they might come out a little flat.

So basically, they struggled some at the beginning of the season with a freshman QB at the helm (+ 4 RBs who are Fr/So and a receiving corps with 1 Jr and 1 little used Sr), but with more experience, have slowly gotten better each week.

What else were people expecting?

(on a side note: UTC has only 7 seniors on the team)

Go Apps
November 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Samford @ Elon - Sammy continues a late, hopefull playoff push. More balanced attack than Elon. 31-17 Dogs.
The Citadel @ VMI - Bellhops run at will. VMI is not very good. 41-14 Dogs.
Chattanooga @ Wofford - UTC continues their good play and Wofford has no answer. 28-21 Mocs.
Howard @ Georgia Southern - A beatup, pissed off GaSo welcomes Howard to the Stink. 48-17.
Furman @ Appalachian State - A typical slugfest against Furple. Furple fumbles on the App 5 yard line with 30-seconds left and App recovers to seal victory. 31-24 Apps.

Add Furman fumbles in the scoreboard endzone with no one around to once again watch the legend grow - streaks of Bobby Lamb standing on the field wondering what just happened again

Eaglesrus
November 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Go Paladins!!

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Go Paladins!!

I bet you guys die a little inside every time you say that.

Eaglesrus
November 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Nah, that would be if I ever felt compelled to say Go Mou; nope, can't do it.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
nothing against Furman, I actually thought they would make a run at the playoffs this year, but there is no way App should lose this game. We got our playoffs on the line, conference championship, probably the largest crowd, and the last home game for the seniors, and we have , I believe, 1 week off before the playoffs so there is no reason to leave anything on the field. If App was to lose this game, we will not have anyone to blame but ourselves, no excuses, the brass ring is in front of us....GRAP THE DAM THING!!!!!!

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Grier was limited but he did play. Regardless, in my opinion, comparing defensive performances against the triple option to other offensive schemes does not do much good. Our play against non-option teams (24 PPG, 375 YPG) compared to the three option teams (39 PPG, 537 YPG) has been night and day. Not that we have been lights out against more traditional schemes but we have done a much better job of getting our defense off the field.

I'm not sure I would say Elon has the best overall passing offense in the conference either. I know they average about 15 yards per game more than Appalachian but they are also fairly one-dimensional as they average under 100 yards per game on the ground. ASU has 85 more rush attempts on the season than Elon and are much more committed to being balanced, which should generally make the passing attack harder to defend when the front seven has to respect the run.

I think Furman will bring us a fight but I fully expect Appalachian to win this game at home. I think we've just got a few too many weapons on offense for the Paladins to keep up with.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM

It's funny because I go back to the days of 1985 and 1988 and all the Furman in between and since, but I've always considered App more of a rival because of our dismal record in Boone. The most significant thing about App's win Saturday is that it means App "breaks serve" in the modern era. Had GSU won we would both be 3-8 at each others place. GSU now needs to win two in a row to even everything out at 4-8. (I don't count GSU records prior to 1982 and we had 4 games in the 1930's.)

We have a great rivalry that is marked on the calendars of both schools' players and fans as well as media.

ASUMountaineer
November 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM
It's funny because I go back to the days of 1985 and 1988 and all the Furman in between and since, but I've always considered App more of a rival because of our dismal record in Boone. The most significant thing about App's win Saturday is that it means App "breaks serve" in the modern era. Had GSU won we would both be 3-8 at each others place. GSU now needs to win two in a row to even everything out at 4-8. (I don't count GSU records prior to 1982 and we had 4 games in the 1930's.)

We have a great rivalry that is marked on the calendars of both schools' players and fans as well as media.

Agreed. Another reason so many App fans would like to see us move to the FBS together if such an opportunity was to occur. There's no team I enjoy beating more than GSU. I would assume the feeling is mutual with GSU fans.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Grier was limited but he did play. Regardless, in my opinion, comparing defensive performances against the triple option to other offensive schemes does not do much good. Our play against non-option teams (24 PPG, 375 YPG) compared to the three option teams (39 PPG, 537 YPG) has been night and day. Not that we have been lights out against more traditional schemes but we have done a much better job of getting our defense off the field.

I'm not sure I would say Elon has the best overall passing offense in the conference either. I know they average about 15 yards per game more than Appalachian but they are also fairly one-dimensional as they average under 100 yards per game on the ground. ASU has 85 more rush attempts on the season than Elon and are much more committed to being balanced, which should generally make the passing attack harder to defend when the front seven has to respect the run.

I think Furman will bring us a fight but I fully expect Appalachian to win this game at home. I think we've just got a few too many weapons on offense for the Paladins to keep up with.

App is certainly favored. Then again, they were favored last year, too.

IMO, this game will come down to Furman's offense and App's defense. The Paladins have fared well against teams with explosive offense but have suffered from offensive inconsistency. App's defense has struggled at times, and particularly against the run. Expect App to see a lot of Jerodis Williams. Furman needs to get him going and then open up their play action game. That gameplan worked wonderfully last season.

Waco Kid
November 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I would be more concerned about having a letdown this week had we a) not lost to Furman after beating GSU last year, and b) not had a letdown loss to The Citadel following an emotional win over Montana earlier this year. Having said that, wins over Furman have never been easy so anything could happen.

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I would be more concerned about having a letdown this week had we a) not lost to Furman after beating GSU last year, and b) not had a letdown loss to The Citadel following an emotional win over Montana earlier this year. Having said that, wins over Furman have never been easy so anything could happen.

Very true. I'm hoping that some of those "teachable moments" for a young team are starting to pay dividends now.

biggie
November 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Possibly helps that we have no game to look past Furman.

But believe we are more beat up than we appear. Probably will still hold out some players to heal, that may even include Jamal. Hope the coaches realize we have to win this and don't rely on too many backups. Would rather play everyone and try to get a big enough lead to rest players, take the bye week and a possible 1st rd bye to rest and recover.

GlassOnion
November 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM
App is certainly favored. Then again, they were favored last year, too.

IMO, this game will come down to Furman's offense and App's defense. The Paladins have fared well against teams with explosive offense but have suffered from offensive inconsistency. App's defense has struggled at times, and particularly against the run. Expect App to see a lot of Jerodis Williams. Furman needs to get him going and then open up their play action game. That gameplan worked wonderfully last season.

Unless Furman is running the triple option, run D wont be a problem for ASU. We're only giving up 117 yards per game against non triple option teams.

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Our play against non-option teams (24 PPG, 375 YPG)

We're only giving up 117 yards per game against non triple option teams.

Which one of you are right? That is quite the discrepancy.

ASU_Fanatic
November 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'm not even going to try to rank these teams anymore except WCU at 9

asucrutch23
November 5th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Which one of you are right? That is quite the discrepancy.

Mike's number includes passing yardage

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mike's number includes passing yardage

Exactly, I posted total YPG. GO's post was in regards to just rushing yards against non-option teams.

Apphole
November 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ah, I see.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Exactly, I posted total YPG. GO's post was in regards to just rushing yards against non-option teams.

Will be an interesting matchup. Jerodis Williams is no slouch, and a virtual statistical clone of App's Miller. Averages around 112 per game and is a tough runner.

Furman's offense does not have a lot of smoke and mirrors. They are still in a rebuilding mode, but play a physical brand reminiscent of their late 90s early 2000s teams. Lot of cut blocks on the edges, fullback leading the play leading physical ball carrier.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Furman preview of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkWTEUdt7Q&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg&index=2&feature=plcp

Highlights of the game from Elon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1G80rn3jA&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg&index=4

GATA
November 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Furman preview of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkWTEUdt7Q&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg&index=2&feature=plcp

Highlights of the game from Elon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1G80rn3jA&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg&index=4

Seems that many uneducated App State fans think Furman is going to be a pushover...

This game is going to come down to the wire.

OL FU
November 5th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Seems that many uneducated App State fans think Furman is going to be a pushover...

I hope you are right. My fear is that the third quarter will come down to the wire.

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Will be an interesting matchup. Jerodis Williams is no slouch, and a virtual statistical clone of App's Miller. Averages around 112 per game and is a tough runner.

Furman's offense does not have a lot of smoke and mirrors. They are still in a rebuilding mode, but play a physical brand reminiscent of their late 90s early 2000s teams. Lot of cut blocks on the edges, fullback leading the play leading physical ball carrier.

I don't think there is any question that both sides know what is coming. Appalachian is running the same scheme we have for the past 8 years and Furman is back to the physical ground game that Jerry Moore is accustomed to seeing from them.

asumike83
November 5th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I don't think that they are a pushover by any means but I do think we will win this game by around 10 points if we play our game. When you guys played them in Greenville, they kept is close through 3 quarters before GSU pulled away late. As we saw on Saturday, Appalachian and GSU are very evenly matched and I wouldn't be surprised to see our game with Furman go in a similar fashion.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
After the egg App laid at Furman last year it shouldn't be hard to get up for this game. Hopefully Grier is back.

gsu_paintballer
November 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Anyone who thinks Furman will beat App is being absurd.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
what concerns me about this game is App has played 10 straight weeks without a break, Moore commented after the GS game that his team is very tired, and he has even adjusted practice to try and keep them fresh, and Furman is coming off a bye week and should be ready to go. Wouldn't surprise me to see my team a step slow, and Furman making it a somewhat close game.

md64179
November 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Furman is not as bad as their record would indicate, but they are not better than APP on Black Saturday.

GunsAndGuitars
November 5th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Anyone who thinks Furman will beat App is being absurd.

Anyone who thinks GSU will lose to App at Paulson..............oh...........it's a strange year in the SoCon, but hopefully whatever voodoo KBS puts on Furple has a strong presence this weekend. I expect it to be close. One possession is likely to decide this one as much as I hate to say it. Apps 28-24.

The Cats
November 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Samford @ Elon
The Citadel @ VMI
Chattanooga @ Wofford.
Howard @ Georgia Southern
Furman @ Appalachian State

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I don't think that they are a pushover by any means but I do think we will win this game by around 10 points if we play our game. When you guys played them in Greenville, they kept is close through 3 quarters before GSU pulled away late. As we saw on Saturday, Appalachian and GSU are very evenly matched and I wouldn't be surprised to see our game with Furman go in a similar fashion.

Furman led 7-3 at the half against GSU, and was down 17-10 after three quarters. The trouble in that game, as I have noted has been the trouble in a bunch of games, is that Furman's offense could not sustain a drive late in the game. GSU scored 21 points and never had to travel further than 45 yards.

I don't know how much you can glean from either game. Of course, Furman played GSU in Greenville, where they are not nearly as tough. Interestingly, though, App State surrendered more first downs, over 100 more rushing yards, more passing yards, over 100 more yards of offense, and held the ball 8 fewer minutes than Furman did against Georgia Southern. If you didn't look at the score, reasonable minds could have guessed that Furman was the team that beat Georgia Southern, not App State.

The numbers really illuminate Furman's two major problems this season: (1) the inability to sustain late drives and keep the defense off the field, and (2) the inability to turn offense into points. They fixed both those problems against Elon. Will be interested to see if that was an abberation, or it will carry over.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Anyone who thinks GSU will lose to App at Paulson..............oh...........it's a strange year in the SoCon, but hopefully whatever voodoo KBS puts on Furple has a strong presence this weekend. I expect it to be close. One possession is likely to decide this one as much as I hate to say it. Apps 28-24.

I'm interested in what effect KBS has on this game. Furman's record in Boone is pretty respectable (somewhere in the neighborhood of .500), but really has been an uphill battle for the past 10 years or so. The Paladins have already played once in a loud atmosphere this season (Clemson earlier in the year), so I'm not sure they will be too rattled by the size of the crowd.

What I'd really like to know is whether the "voodoo" followed Bobby Lamb out of Furman. Furman really didn't struggle at KBS until he took over, we'll see if the hex is on the team, or just the coach.

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM

I found the video footage of FUrman at WoCo, while discussing playing at The Rock, to be an interesting choice in the preview.

Thanks for posting that, pretty cool deal at the end with the RV.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'm interested in what effect KBS has on this game. Furman's record in Boone is pretty respectable (somewhere in the neighborhood of .500), but really has been an uphill battle for the past 10 years or so. The Paladins have already played once in a loud atmosphere this season (Clemson earlier in the year), so I'm not sure they will be too rattled by the size of the crowd.

What I'd really like to know is whether the "voodoo" followed Bobby Lamb out of Furman. Furman really didn't struggle at KBS until he took over, we'll see if the hex is on the team, or just the coach.

8-11-2 all-time at KBS, but most of those wins came in the 70's and 80's. App has won 8 straight vs. Furman at KBS.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM
8-11-2 all-time at KBS, but most of those wins came in the 70's and 80's. App has won 8 straight vs. Furman at KBS.

Right, and Furman still leads the series all time. Quite comfortably. Considering Furman is something like 3-9 over the last 12, it is a pretty strong testament to the whooping Furman put on App routinely for 20 years.

My memories run together, but I can remember only one game in KBS over that recent span that I would consider a "blowout." Most are within a couple of score. A couple more were decided in the final seconds.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I found the video footage of FUrman at WoCo, while discussing playing at The Rock, to be an interesting choice in the preview.

Thanks for posting that, pretty cool deal at the end with the RV.

I would sign up, but I have vowed not to return to Boone until Furman wins again. I was fairly convinced for a couple of years that I was bad luck. After I stopped going up there, Furman kept losing, but they stopped with the "how did that just happen" losses.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Furman is not as bad as their record would indicate, but they are not better than APP on Black Saturday.

We aren't bad. We aren't particularly good, but App will know they got hit on Saturday.

SpeedkingATL
November 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Bobby Lamb has been given a side line pass for the game on Saturday with a private plane and limo to get him to The Rock. It's the least the Yosef Club could do for him.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM
App vs. Furman

1970 - 1-6-2
1980 - 2-7-1
1990 - 4-6
2000 - 9-2
2010 - 1-1

There is a trend.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Bobby Lamb has been given a side line pass for the game on Saturday with a private plane and limo to get him to The Rock. It's the least the Yosef Club could do for him.

You guys need at least a cardboard cutout or something.

GATA_GSU
November 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Between the 3 SoCon teams that will most likely enter the playoffs, who seems to have a better chance for a deep playoff run?

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I would sign up, but I have vowed not to return to Boone until Furman wins again. I was fairly convinced for a couple of years that I was bad luck. After I stopped going up there, Furman kept losing, but they stopped with the "how did that just happen" losses.

Come on PF, you know you want to come back up to the High Country!

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
You guys need at least a cardboard cutout or something.

That would be awesome!

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Between the 3 SoCon teams that will most likely enter the playoffs, who seems to have a better chance for a deep playoff run?

That's tough to say. GSU has an offense that is difficult to prepare for in a week, which makes them dangerous. The same with WoCo, assuming they get past UTC. ASU's attack is seen by defenses more often. None of these three teams have a great defense. I think all three have the potential to win a game or two, with ASU maybe having the best chance at a deep run because we may get some home games (IF we can get past FUrman).

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Come on PF, you know you want to come back up to the High Country!

I like the high country. Used to spend a lot of time in Western NC. It will take a Paladin W to get me back up there for that game (granted, its a lot further from home these days).

eaglewraith
November 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
That's tough to say. GSU has an offense that is difficult to prepare for in a week, which makes them dangerous. The same with WoCo, assuming they get past UTC. ASU's attack is seen by defenses more often. None of these three teams have a great defense. I think all three have the potential to win a game or two, with ASU maybe having the best chance at a deep run because we may get some home games (IF we can get past FUrman).

We have a better defense than we showed on Saturday. For some reason we got away from what had been working for us all year and got blitz happy. I put the blame for that on our defensive scheme. We isolated our corners and expected them to go up against some big receivers all game, there was no way that was happening. Two years in a row App has made us pay for not working to minimize big plays, especially if we didn't provide safety coverage over the top.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
ya, its surprising GS blitzed so much, teams that had success against our passing game this year, Wofford, Samford, even the Cit, kept an extra defensive back on the field, kept everything in front of them, and forced us to beat them with short passes, something we are not great at doing. I think JJ and the receivers get impatient, which leads to mistakes and turnovers. I bet this week Furman doesnt blitz much, and slows the game down.

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
We have a better defense than we showed on Saturday. For some reason we got away from what had been working for us all year and got blitz happy. I put the blame for that on our defensive scheme. We isolated our corners and expected them to go up against some big receivers all game, there was no way that was happening. Two years in a row App has made us pay for not working to minimize big plays, especially if we didn't provide safety coverage over the top.

I never said your defense wasn't good, just not great. I think that's an accurate analysis so far this season.

App1928
November 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
why?

because App State is a far superior team to furman in every facet? Dude. You are a furman fan, obviously you would be the one to say that....look at it from an unbiased view...can furman beat app? yeah its possible. can furman keep it close? sure could happen. If you had to guess would you pick furman to win or keep it close? of course not.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
ya, its surprising GS blitzed so much, teams that had success against our passing game this year, Wofford, Samford, even the Cit, kept an extra defensive back on the field, kept everything in front of them, and forced us to beat them with short passes, something we are not great at doing. I think JJ and the receivers get impatient, which leads to mistakes and turnovers. I bet this week Furman doesnt blitz much, and slows the game down.

I imagine Furman will use the same defensive scheme they did last year. No one really has mentioned it, but it is certainly worth noting that Furman held App State to its lowest point total of the season last year. I don't really buy the argument that App was overlooking Furman, because the next week's game was against Western Carolina.

I would expect the same game plan. Last season Furman was perfectly happy shutting out ASU's run game and letting them dink and dunk the ball all afternoon. Of course, that game plan is a bit easier to implement when you lead by three scores.

App will want to keep the tempo high. Furman will want to slow the game down, and will not willingly abandon the running game until the game is just about out of reach.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
because App State is a far superior team to furman in every facet? Dude. You are a furman fan, obviously you would be the one to say that....look at it from an unbiased view...can furman beat app? yeah its possible. can furman keep it close? sure could happen. If you had to guess would you pick furman to win or keep it close? of course not.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it is always good practice to at least attempt to back up an assertion with something that resembles an argument. I think Furman will keep it uncomfortably close.

Also, it is a bit incongruous to say App is better in every facet. Furman gives up fewer yards on defense, and truly, if you throw out the three overtimes they played against Coastal (which resulted in 22 points), gives up fewer points per game than App. You can also make an argument that Furman is better on special teams, particularly on kick returns and field goal kicking (arguably the most important). Furman has incurred 22 fewer penalties than App this season.

I fully anticipate that App is favored, and I think they will win. I'm just saying it isn't going to be a blowout some are predicting.

asumike83
November 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I imagine Furman will use the same defensive scheme they did last year. No one really has mentioned it, but it is certainly worth noting that Furman held App State to its lowest point total of the season last year. I don't really buy the argument that App was overlooking Furman, because the next week's game was against Western Carolina.

I would expect the same game plan. Last season Furman was perfectly happy shutting out ASU's run game and letting them dink and dunk the ball all afternoon. Of course, that game plan is a bit easier to implement when you lead by three scores.

App will want to keep the tempo high. Furman will want to slow the game down, and will not willingly abandon the running game until the game is just about out of reach.

I agree with much of what you are saying but to me, there are three key differences between this year's game and last (not that it means Furman couldn't win again):

1) Game is at Kidd Brewer.
2) Much more cohesion on the ASU offensive staff with Satterfield calling the plays and keeping the tempo fast.
3) Ryan Steed is no longer a Paladin. He gave Furman that lock-down corner that really took Brian Quick out of the game. I don't think they have a guy who can do the same thing with Sean Price.

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Luckily, Ryan Steed has moved on. xnodx

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I agree with much of what you are saying but to me, there are three key differences between this year's game and last (not that it means Furman couldn't win again):

1) Game is at Kidd Brewer.
2) Much more cohesion on the ASU offensive staff with Satterfield calling the plays and keeping the tempo fast.
3) Ryan Steed is no longer a Paladin. He gave Furman that lock-down corner that really took Brian Quick out of the game. I don't think they have a guy who can do the same thing with Sean Price.

I think we can all agree that neither Quick nor Steed will be much of a factor in this one.

The tempo of the game will be a big issue. App will try to push it, Furman will want to slow it down. That's one of those games within the game right there - which team can force the other to play their brand of football. I have no doubt that if App is running up and down the field and hitting quick slants Furman is in trouble. I also think that App fans would be a little uncomfortable if Furman is holding the ball 7 or 8 minutes a quarter and cut blocking the stew out of every black jersey within ten miles of Boone.

Again, I have no idea what the Kidd Brewer effect will be. Fowler is a much cooler head that Lamb was, and I think the team takes on that demeanor. I mean that they don't seem to get too down or too up during a game. Besides, Hannon started the first game of his college career at Clemson. I realize App has a fast offense and loud crowd, but it is not as fast as that offense and not as loud as that crowd.

T-Dog
November 6th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I now predict ASU will beat Furman approxiametly four-hundred to nothing.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
curious, so I went back and looked at the stats for the Furman/Clemson game, Furman put up over 400 yds of offense against Clemson, looked like they moved the ball pretty well, just too many turnovers, at the worst possible times. I think App ia tired having played 10 straight weeks, and Furman should be fresh after a week off. Except for the Chatt game, Furman has been in the games until atleast midway thru the 3rd quaters. They are a good, solid team, that if a few things had gone their way, would probably have a couple of more wins. I dont think they will beat App, too much on the line for App to lose, but it would not surprise me if Furman is within a touchdown mid-forth.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
curious, so I went back and looked at the stats for the Furman/Clemson game, Furman put up over 400 yds of offense against Clemson, looked like they moved the ball pretty well, just too many turnovers, at the worst possible times. I think App ia tired having played 10 straight weeks, and Furman should be fresh after a week off. Except for the Chatt game, Furman has been in the games until atleast midway thru the 3rd quaters. They are a good, solid team, that if a few things had gone their way, would probably have a couple of more wins. I dont think they will beat App, too much on the line for App to lose, but it would not surprise me if Furman is within a touchdown mid-forth.

In case you were interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVa90sB9USs&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg&index=28&feature=plcp

Furman will move the ball. The problem has been turning yards into points.

Apphole
November 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Clemson is no App State xsmiley_wix

asumike83
November 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I think we can all agree that neither Quick nor Steed will be much of a factor in this one.

Yes, but my point was that Appalachian still has a wide receiver that requires the same attention. Furman no longer has a corner that can provide it like Steed did.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Good point, Furman doesn't have a lock down cover man, they will probably bring in an extra defensive back, drop the linebackers, keep everything in front, and give us the short pass, probably will not blitz much, if they do, App will blow them out.

gsu_paintballer
November 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM

You think the likelihood of App winning in Statesboro and Furman winning at KBS are the same?

asumike83
November 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
You think the likelihood of App winning in Statesboro and Furman winning at KBS are the same?

I think the likelihood is a lot higher than I would have said The Citadel's chances were of hanging 52 on us at KBS! xnonono2x

Having said that, I think this is a different Appalachian team than we saw in Week 3. If we don't take care of business at home, I will be equally surprised and disappointed.

Apphole
November 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
App beating GaSo in Statesboro last weekene is more likely than Furple winning this weekend.

theasushow
November 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM
If we cant beat a 3-6 Furman at home/Black Saturday/ Senior day, then we have no business in the playoffs.

Appattk
November 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
1) Georgia Southern - Despite the loss to App all GSU needs to do is get some players healed AND find a kicking game
2) Appalachian State - ASU this week is completely different than the App that lost to Citadel and Wofford.. This is a dangerous team when they are "on" and another "on" performance against Furman should cement this placement
3) Samford - Seriously. Samford has progressively moved their way up the ranks of the SOCON and is getting better every single week.
4) Wofford - Wofford is running into the problem it seems to always run into this time of year. Injuries.
5) Chattanooga - Will the real Mocs please stand up? I swear this team is manic!
6) The Citadel - such a promising start has turned into a bit of a nightmare when almost neutered by Elon
7) Furman - 80% of the team is ready to get back into the top 3 spot.. It's just that tricky 20% that's keeping them in the basement.
8) Elon - Elon had their run a few years ago... but can't seem to limp back into the spotlight
9) Western Carolina - the antithesis of Georgia Southern.

Predictions
Samford @ Elon - Bulldogs win BIG to impress playoff selection committee.
The Citadel @ VMI - Bulldogs win and somewhere a knob is doing pushups
Chattanooga @ Wofford - Wofford pulls out everything and barely wins one as Breitenstein limps across the goal line with time expiring.
Howard @ Georgia Southern - I feel really bad for Howard... Georgia Southern scores 60.
Furman @ Appalachian State - ASU gives the crowd a scare as Bobby's corner gives the 'Neers another ghostly victory at the last minute

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I agree, if we lose, we don't deserve the playoffs. We should stay home and let some else go in our place.

asumike83
November 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM
If we cant beat a 3-6 Furman at home/Black Saturday/ Senior day, then we have no business in the playoffs.

Truth.

ElCid
November 6th, 2012, 10:21 PM
1. App. St – surging at the right moment
2. Ga Southern – stumbling a bit, but still strong
3. Wofford – on the slide
4. Chattanooga – may have gotten a little too much unwarranted grief early on
5. Samford – good win and still alive for possible playoff spot, but probably not
6. Citadel – stopped their mid season slide, could win out, still no playoff slot even if they do
7. Furman – better than record, but season over except for spoiler roll (App) and rivalry game (Cid)
8. Elon – not catching any breaks
9. W Carolina – May get one or two SOCON victories…..next year

I am a disappointing 41-11 on the season…it has been a year of surprises.

Furman @ App St – A must win for App so probably not close 42-21
Howard @ Ga So - Ga So rolls 48 - 7
Chatt @ Wofford – A must win for Wofford against determined Mocs 31-28
Citadel @ VMI – Not going to be close, sorry Keydets 45-10
Samford @ Elon - Samford does not get caught looking ahead with visions off knocking off a bad 1-9 Kentucky team, 35-17

theasushow
November 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
App St. @ Furman – A must win for App so probably not close 42-21
\

ASU is at home...just fyi

ElCid
November 6th, 2012, 10:51 PM
ASU is at home...just fyi

Oops. Fixed. Thanks.

eaglewraith
November 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM
App beating GaSo in Statesboro last weekene is more likely than Furple winning this weekend.

Considering you've only won 4 times in Statesboro, I'd say it's more likely Furman wins in Boone before you win in Paulson.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Yes, but my point was that Appalachian still has a wide receiver that requires the same attention. Furman no longer has a corner that can provide it like Steed did.

That is likely true. Furman does not have Steed, but I also am not putting Price and Quick in the same category either.

In any event, App didn't have any trouble last year passing the football. Jackson had a pretty nice game (though Quick did not). App's problem was they lost the lead early and couldn't run the ball.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 7th, 2012, 06:32 AM
The interseption in the endzone, early in the first, was the game changer. Until that moment, App was playing aggressive, moving the ball, and looking good.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2012, 06:50 AM
The interseption in the endzone, early in the first, was the game changer. Until that moment, App was playing aggressive, moving the ball, and looking good.

Don't even get me started on plays that should have gone the other way in the App/Furman series.

Saint3333
November 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Considering you've only won 4 times in Statesboro, I'd say it's more likely Furman wins in Boone before you win in Paulson.

True, but App has won three of the last four in the boro. App has also won 8 straight at home vs. Furman. Not that I think those records mean App should win Saturday, just using your the logic is your argument against you.

GlassOnion
November 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
This App/Furman game reminds me of the App/Chatty game 2004. Its a big chance to lay an egg for App.

Neither teams have much of a defense, but the App offense is far better. I think the App defense makes just enough stops for the offense to pull us ahead.

ASUMountaineer
November 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Don't even get me started on plays that should have gone the other way in the App/Furman series.

I don't think he is saying the interception was questionable, but that it changed the dynamic of the game. I think that he is spot-on. That play took a lot of wind out of our sails, and we never quite could get it back. FUrman played well enough to win and did so.

SpeedkingATL
November 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I don't think he is saying the interception was questionable, but that it changed the dynamic of the game. I think that he is spot-on. That play took a lot of wind out of our sails, and we never quite could get it back. FUrman played well enough to win and did so.
I was at last years game and in my opinion, that was the game that decided the fate of the "committee approach" to playcalling. App must have run Cadet up the middle on 20 of 24 first down runs and he rarely got over 1 yard. Furman just started stacking the box on 1st down and App was reduced to playing 3 down football on most series. It was very frustrating to say the least.

GlassOnion
November 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I was at last years game and in my opinion, that was the game that decided the fate of the "committee approach" to playcalling. App must have run Cadet up the middle on 20 of 24 first down runs and he rarely got over 1 yard. Furman just started stacking the box on 1st down and App was reduced to playing 3 down football on most series. It was very frustrating to say the least.

Still shadows of that playcalling trouble. When GSU missed its first field goal this past saturday, App, with a shot to take the lead, rushed Rod Chisholm up the middle 3 times in a row, and went 3 and out. First three rushes of the game for rod too I believe.

Apphole
November 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Still shadows of that playcalling trouble. When GSU missed its first field goal this past saturday, App, with a shot to take the lead, rushed Rod Chisholm up the middle 3 times in a row, and went 3 and out. First three rushes of the game for rod too I believe.

Overall though, the offensive scheme was effective. They had no answer for our passing attack and we just kept to it besides the three and out you mentioned.

We are in MUCH better shape this year. No way we lose this game.

GlassOnion
November 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Overall though, the offensive scheme was effective. They had no answer for our passing attack and we just kept to it besides the three and out you mentioned.

We are in MUCH better shape this year. No way we lose this game.

For the large part I agree. There have been 3 and outs here and there just like that though. Always at crucial momentum type moments too. I think its Jerry Moore's continued influence, the old ball coach trying to grind it out and break the defense with the run after a defensive stand. I rather we played full throttle at all times.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Oh there's no doubt. I recall a similar play in 2006 (maybe?) in Boone where a Furman kick returner caught the ball at the goal line and took a knee. The refs said he backed into the endzone and placed the ball at the one inch line. Took all the energy out of the Furman side and helped turn a close game into a rout.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Probably won't do that this year. As was noted earlier, Furman had a cover corner last year that pretty much shut down everyone he played against. That helps the defense when you can play man coverage on the other team's best player and just about forget about him.

Rekdiver
November 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Furman has put up some yards against very good teams. We have to have the same effort that went int othe gSU game or we could have a very bad day and make FU's season. Note to players. It's all ball, no partying no fooling around. Win this game and you can rest for a few days with the bye week coming.

GlassOnion
November 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
If we make it past Furman and get a bye through the first round, it wil really help our guys from a fatigue standpoint, too bad most of the injuries have been the season ending ones though. It would have been nice to start getting some starters back going into the playoffs.

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
If we make it past Furman and get a bye through the first round, it wil really help our guys from a fatigue standpoint, too bad most of the injuries have been the season ending ones though. It would have been nice to start getting some starters back going into the playoffs.
I'd think it'd definitely be good for y'all to get some rest, but on the flip side, a break that long could hurt more than it helps. If you got a bye in the "play in round" Y'all wouldn't play again until December 1st, that's a pretty long time if you ask me.

Mntneer
November 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'd think it'd definitely be good for y'all to get some rest, but on the flip side, a break that long could hurt more than it helps. If you got a bye in the "play in round" Y'all wouldn't play again until December 1st, that's a pretty long time if you ask me.

I agree. It seems like App typically comes out kinda soft after breaks like that.

GlassOnion
November 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Thats a possibility, but I think the positives would outweigh the negatives in this case. App has lost nearly half of its defensive 2 deep, and are currently playing 3 down on the offensive line, lost 2 starters, and then lost a starting backup.

The backups are gaining experience, but theyre also getting beat up. If you look at the "players with tackles" list from the App/GSU game, you'll see that the GSU list is a third longer than App's, because App doesnt have the players to rotate. These guys arent getting breathers in the game unless they go down.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Thats a possibility, but I think the positives would outweigh the negatives in this case. App has lost nearly half of its defensive 2 deep, and are currently playing 3 down on the offensive line, lost 2 starters, and then lost a starting backup.

The backups are gaining experience, but theyre also getting beat up. If you look at the "players with tackles" list from the App/GSU game, you'll see that the GSU list is a third longer than App's, because App doesnt have the players to rotate. These guys arent getting breathers in the game unless they go down.

Interesting point. Furman, like Georgia Southern, utilizes a lot of cut blocks on offense. That is a physical (and legal) brand of football and is an easy way to get some players banged up. May or may not have an effect on the game, but might be worth noting. Particularly when a team is already hobbled and been without an offweek.

Go Apps
November 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Think ASU got a gift from the Eagles, still not sure how we won but I will take it!!! As for this weekend nervous as hell about Furman and so much is on the line - not to mention that

1. Ga Southern – tough loss but stilll most talented
2. App. St – will need a strong win this weekend a loss will leave us all wondering
3. Chattanooga - This is the hotest team in the Socon
4. Wofford - must win this weekend
5. Samford – still alive for playoffs maybe
6. Citadel – Still alive maybe
7. Elon – A strong team
8. Furman - dangerous
9. W Carolina – Getting better every week

Furman @ App St – A thriller as usual ASU by a point
Howard @ Ga So - Eagles destroy
Chatt @ Wofford – Feel like UTC keeps it going
Citadel @ VMI – Bulldogs win big
Samford @ Elon - dangerous game but Samford but they win in a close one

OL FU
November 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
True, but App has won three of the last four in the boro. App has also won 8 straight at home vs. Furman. Not that I think those records mean App should win Saturday, just using your the logic is your argument against you.

Yep and it is definitely arguable in some of those years that Furman had the stronger team (not on that saturday, but from an overall season standpoint).

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Think ASU got a gift from the Eagles, still not sure how we won but I will take it!!! As for this weekend nervous as hell about Furman and so much is on the line - not to mention that

1. Ga Southern – tough loss but stilll most talented
2. App. St – will need a strong win this weekend a loss will leave us all wondering
3. Chattanooga - This is the hotest team in the Socon
4. Wofford - must win this weekend
5. Samford – still alive for playoffs maybe
6. Citadel – Still alive maybe
7. Elon – A strong team
8. Furman - dangerous
9. W Carolina – Getting better every week

Furman @ App St – A thriller as usual ASU by a point
Howard @ Ga So - Eagles destroy
Chatt @ Wofford – Feel like UTC keeps it going
Citadel @ VMI – Bulldogs win big
Samford @ Elon - dangerous game but Samford but they win in a close one

Come on! Both teams have the same record, Furman has a better conference record, and just beat Elon like a drum on the road.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Yep and it is definitely arguable in some of those years that Furman had the stronger team (not on that saturday, but from an overall season standpoint).

The same could be said for App many years as well, last year is a prime example.

OL FU
November 8th, 2012, 10:09 AM
The same could be said for App many years as well, last year is a prime example.

Yeah but my point was, over the last 8 contest, when we seemed better, we still didn't win in Boone.

T-Dog
November 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Someone on our message board posted this pic from Ann Arbor walking into Michigan Stadium.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/forum/download/file.php?id=129

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Someone on our message board posted this pic from Ann Arbor walking into Michigan Stadium.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/forum/download/file.php?id=129

Gotta be someone from my generation or it would say Georgia Southern!

ASUG8
November 8th, 2012, 02:34 PM

And App has lost two at KBS this year to teams we typically beat. El Cid hadn't won since '92 so I don't feel like the KBS mojo has been quite as effective this year. The Furmies are the only SoCon team with a winning record against us and the games you've lost this year haven't been by much. Throw in bragging rights and no Bobby Lamb and you've as good a chance as any.

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Was that from the '05 game? I know UM kicked a kid named Furman off the team (and then reinstated him) this year for domestic violence charges. Might be a coincidence.

I want to say that sometime in the 90s that the TV cameras picked up a "Furman Sucks" sign in the National Championship game Marshall was playing in. Was amusing simply because Furman wasn't even playing in the game. Rivalries aside, Furman fans to a man still hate Marshall.

citdog
November 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Was that from the '05 game? I know UM kicked a kid named Furman off the team (and then reinstated him) this year for domestic violence charges. Might be a coincidence.

I want to say that sometime in the 90s that the TV cameras picked up a "Furman Sucks" sign in the National Championship game Marshall was playing in. Was amusing simply because Furman wasn't even playing in the game. Rivalries aside, Furman fans to a man still hate Marshall.

what about east carolina and Richmond?

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Every team that was in the SoCon with Marshall hates Marshall.

OL FU
November 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Every team that was in the SoCon with Marshall hates Marshall.

and righteously soxnodx

walliver
November 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM

The date stamp is 09/01/2007

proasu89
November 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM

PBR Beer Hat Guy made that sign in Ann Arbor. Random as hell, but still funny!

eaglewraith
November 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Apphole was saying that we had a special Hate Week JUST for App last week.

No.

Every week is hate App week. Do you guys realize how sick it made me to team up in the realignment talks this offseason?