PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View looks to keep up success

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
The Houston Chronicle's tour of the area in football continues, today they cover Prairie View A&M. We still have TxSt, SFA and lastly, SHSU on the docket the next few days.

The Panthers are coming off their best season in 17 years in Prairie View and expectations are up that the Panthers will continue down that winning road. Of note, the Panthers own a two-game win streak over crosstown rival Texas Southern (3rd Coast Tiger is cringing!), which hadn't been done since 1963-64! Heck, back-to-back SWAC wins was something unheard of since 1971!

Things are changing for the better and with 20 of 22 starters back, the Panthers are ready to make inroads to a winning record. This is a program definitely on the move! Good luck Panthers! Now where's Panthro and Panther88 to tell us about their squad?

------------
Prairie View looks to keep up success
With Panthers coming off best season since 1976, optimism is high
By W.H. STICKNEY JR.

By winning a national championship, a team and its coach often can count on a White House invitation, more activity on the offseason banquet circuit and nobility status in the community.

Coach Henry Frazier III can only dream about opportunities like that at NCAA Division I-AA Prairie View A&M.

But following the Panthers' most productive football season in 17 years, Frazier has spent the past nine months living like a champion in the Prairie View area.

"I never considered myself a celebrity-type person," Frazier said Tuesday. "But if I put on a PV shirt or hat, and I go out, man, I'll tell you, (people) make the connection right away. And there's conversation.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4104091.html

mikebigg
August 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM
PV has hired a fireball young head coach who ain't having nothing to do with past futility. Now that PV has scholarships and is having some success, watch them continue to improve and challenge. I think it's good for PV , the conference, and college football for them to upgrade.

Historically, they have schedule other non-conference 1AA's especially in La and Tx. Folk better watch out and not take them for granted. They have Grambling's attention...Spears and Frasier has a real short fuse with each other. Hey, it is what it is! But as long as they remain civil, it's only gonna make the SF Classic more exciting.

I seriously look for the game to be very competitive. There's a lot of parity in the SWAC and on "Any Given Saturday" an upset can occur. Maybe not this year, but the way PV is improving and how Frazier recruits nationally and at home... watchout!

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Historically, they have schedule other non-conference 1AA's especially in La and Tx. Folk better watch out and not take them for granted. They have Grambling's attention...Spears and Frasier has a real short fuse with each other. Hey, it is what it is! But as long as they remain civil, it's only gonna make the SF Classic more exciting.

What non-conference I-AAs have they scheduled from Tx and Louisiana? I don't recall recent games against SFA, SWT/TxSt or SHSU...

I know they had a home-and-home with SELA, but pulled out of that one after SELA ripped them a new one, 64-10 in their first year back from no football.

When has PVA&M laced it up against the SLC?

Panther88
August 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
What non-conference I-AAs have they scheduled from Tx and Louisiana? I don't recall recent games against SFA, SWT/TxSt or SHSU...

I know they had a home-and-home with SELA, but pulled out of that one after SELA ripped them a new one, 64-10 in their first year back from no football.

Home and home against McNeese in '00/'01 or somewhere therabouts. (??????)

We did the Northern Iowa thing that year and also Ill St when they were a top 5 squad. :) Killer schedule that year and we had no talent, as usual. :)

I seriously don't know what's what but I'll find out this upcoming w/e when I attend one of the 2-a-day sessions. True, we return 21 of 22 starters. But like Coach Frazier said earlier, just because they started last fall doesn't mean that they're going to be starting this fall! They have to earn their positions yet again.

We're "partially" excited about this fall. We're making inroads. We look to be a winning program for the first time since 1988 (and even those games were forfeited). Considering where we came from, this is a miracle in the making.

mikebigg
August 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM

To be honest, I didn't go and specifically check. I seem to recall them playing McNeese and some of the other 1AA's but that might have been before the 9 game mandate. But I think PVU has shown a willingness to play other teams in 1AA.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
To be honest, I didn't go and specifically check. I seem to recall them playing McNeese and some of the other 1AA's but that might have been before the 9 game mandate. But I think PVU has shown a willingness to play other teams in 1AA.

PV A&M...two I-AA non-conference opponents since 2002, so just one of the last eleven. This information comes from SWAC.org. That's 18% of the time they play an OOC game, it's against a I-AA. They haven't even played an I-AA since 2003. When'd they get full-scholarship?

I hope they can 'buck' the current trend and get atleast I-AA on there yearly. Why no Paul Quinn this year?

2006 - Edward Waters, Langston
2005 - Paul Quinn, at Lincoln
2004 - at Paul Quinn, Lincoln
2003 - Paul Quinn, Texas College, at Southeastern Louisiana
2002 - at Texas A&M-Kingsville, at Tennessee St, at Paul Quinn

mikebigg
August 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM
PV A&M...two I-AA non-conference opponents since 2002, so just one of the last eleven. This information comes from SWAC.org. That's 18% of the time they play an OOC game, it's against a I-AA. They haven't even played an I-AA since 2003. When'd they get full-scholarship?

I hope they can 'buck' the current trend and get atleast I-AA on there yearly. Why no Paul Quinn this year?

2006 - Edward Waters, Langston
2005 - Paul Quinn, at Lincoln
2004 - at Paul Quinn, Lincoln
2003 - Paul Quinn, Texas College, at Southeastern Louisiana
2002 - at Texas A&M-Kingsville, at Tennessee St, at Paul Quinn

Football 2006 Schedule
Event Date Location Description
Texas Southern 9/2/2006 07:00 PM Houston, Texas Labor Day Classic
Edward Waters 9/9/2006 06:00 PM Prairie View, Texas
Southern 9/16/2006 07:00 PM Houston, Texas
Langston 9/23/2006 06:00 PM Prairie View, Texas
Grambling State 9/30/2006 06:00 PM Dallas, Texas State Fair Classic

Alcorn State 10/7/2006 04:00 PM Prairie View, Texas
Alabama State 10/14/2006 04:00 PM Prairie View, Texas
Mississippi Valley State 10/28/2006 02:00 PM Itta Bena, Miss.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 11/4/2006 02:00 PM Prairie View, Texas Homecoming
Jackson State 11/11/2006 02:00 PM Jackson, Miss.
Alabama A&M 11/18/2006 01:30 PM Huntsville, Ala.

You are right...seems that Frazier got two winnable home games (Ed Waters and Langston) as out of conference games. For a building program, that's really a smart move. I think the early schedule has promise for them... They will be favored over TxSU and Edward Waters to open up. Then they catch SU in Houston AFTER the jags have a back to back big games on the road against Bethune Cookman and MSVU in BR. If they somehow manage to get by the jags, their next matchup is Langston at PVU and then later in Dallas against a Grambling team that will have opened three straight weeks on the road against #11 Hampton, SWAC East favorite AAMU (Huntsville) and D1A U of Houston in Houston.

Inagine the momentum is PVU comes out of those games with either 3 or 4 wins.. They win all 5 and look out the PVU Panthers would be ready to make some serious noise from there on out!

Don't know if Frazier planned it that way...but the early schedule plays to his advantage. He comes out of that with

MACHIAVELLI
August 9th, 2006, 06:33 PM
They have Grambling's attention.

I totally disagree.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Is PVA&M still planning on playing that game in Houston against Southern at Tully Stadium?

Panther88
August 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Is PVA&M still planning on playing that game in Houston against Southern at Tully Stadium?

Yes. The game is @ Tully @ 1pm. :)

Rraaaa, Mach, I sincerely do hope that spears and company keeps PV on the backburner. It would be so lovely to sneak you guys. lol ;) We're still in building mode. No need to go against a superior I-AA squad and we're still fielding Div II talent. Right?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yes. The game is @ Tully @ 1pm. :)
: smh : : smh : The normal SU crowd won't be at that game. Many a Jag already cancelled their trip because of the 1pm start.