PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Practices: anyone check em' out?

BEAR
August 8th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Anyone attend their teams first or first few football practices?

UCA just held their first I believe and the heat was intense! As I pulled up in my SUV the temp. gauge read 104 degrees. The team was on the practice field next to the Pepsi Center. Dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts and helmeted. I don't think there was a dry player on the field! I think it was 95 degrees in the shade! You could tell the frustration in the defensive coaches voices as they tried to motivate the new players and help them realize this isn't high school anymore. The chatter in the stands was that there was at least 4 players going pro off this team. Jacob Ford and Aaron Fairooz were termed "locks" to be professionals..but that's the fun part about speculation. :read: The offense run game and short pass game was crisp but the long ball looked tough to figure out since it was the first practice and it was extremely hot. I'm excited about this year and I know if any other Bear fans attended the practice they might have seen something more than I did. But let's hear if any of you attended your schools practice !:hurray:

blackfordpu
August 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'm not even sure if Sam has open practices.

But no, I havn't.

Lionsrking
August 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone attend their teams first or first few football practices?

UCA just held their first I believe and the heat was intense! As I pulled up in my SUV the temp. gauge read 104 degrees. The team was on the practice field next to the Pepsi Center. Dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts and helmeted. I don't think there was a dry player on the field! I think it was 95 degrees in the shade! You could tell the frustration in the defensive coaches voices as they tried to motivate the new players and help them realize this isn't high school anymore. The chatter in the stands was that there was at least 4 players going pro off this team. Jacob Ford and Aaron Fairooz were termed "locks" to be professionals..but that's the fun part about speculation. :read: The offense run game and short pass game was crisp but the long ball looked tough to figure out since it was the first practice and it was extremely hot. I'm excited about this year and I know if any other Bear fans attended the practice they might have seen something more than I did. But let's hear if any of you attended your schools practice !:hurray:

I've been to all three of our practices. Typical shorts & helmets deal, lots of fundamental work, coaches setting the pace of practice, stuff like that. We have the same heat problem as everybody else but I've been pleasantly surprised by our freshmen's ability to fight through and maintain focus. Our practices are high energy from the opening whistle and there isn't much toleration for dragging around. Of course I'm sure practices are like that for most schools around the country.

As for pro prospects, the only "locks" are guys projected to go in the top 2 or 3 rounds but I think we have three or four who could land free agent deals or possibly sneak in the late rounds with productive seasons. We have more if you count underclassmen.

poly51
August 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Cal Poly starts practice this coming Thursday. Hi temp is forecast at 83 degrees.

BEAR
August 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Cal Poly starts practice this coming Thursday. Hi temp is forecast at 83 degrees.

Nice!:bow: I bet we don't even reach that temp as a low at night! :bang: xlolx

blackfordpu
August 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Nice!:bow: I bet we don't even reach that temp as a low at night! :bang: xlolx

No joke, it is 82 here now with a heat index of 89!:eek:

JoshUCA
August 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
You can go here (http://www.ucafans.com/galleries/fbfall06.php) to check out some pictures from today's practice.

Bear Fan 101
August 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Josh, been meaning to ask you, where did you get the pic of your avatar, the UCA football, and do you have a bigger one? :D

Bear Fan 101
August 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I know last week, Thursday and Friday, the Bears practiced under the lights at Estes Stadium after Coach Conque termed the weather "very dangerous" at Media Days. So we took in part of those from a distance in the cool. Everything seems to be coming around good so far.

JoshUCA
August 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Hey Josh, been meaning to ask you, where did you get the pic of your avatar, the UCA football, and do you have a bigger one? :D

I don't remeber where I got it from, I know I found it on the internet somewhere. I only have it in one size, but if you will send me a PM with your e-mail address I will e-mail it to you.

slostang
August 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I went to all of Cal Poly's first weeks practices and the temp never got above 73 and to top that there was a nice breeze blowing. Thank god that we do not start the season in Alabama like we did last year. I almost melted in the stands.

BEAR
August 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Any Bear fans know when UCA will be doing the 2-a-days this week? I know with the intense heat that they have been moved to a later time. Thanks in advance! :hurray:

Lionsrking
August 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
We had to move our last several morning practices from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. to avoid the heat.

Bear Fan 101
August 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I wish I knew..If I find out I'll let you know...you got a PM by the way UCABEAR

BEAR
August 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I wish I knew..If I find out I'll let you know...you got a PM by the way UCABEAR

Guess I could just call the Atheletic office..duh...:bang:

I got your PM and replied. Thanks! You're why the Bear fans can hang with each other without ripping each others' eyes out! xlolx :hurray:

Bear Fan 101
August 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
4-6 this afternoon practice

Tuesday 9-11 ; 4-6

Wednesday 4-6

Thursday 4-6

Friday 9-11, 4-6

Saturday Scrimmage at 10 am....all times weather and heat permitting.

GeauxLions94
August 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Brr, that's cold. Early morning (9:30 a.m.) practices are usually the mid-80's at the start. Of course the humidity here is a bit (OK, a lot) higher than in San Luis Obispo. (wonder if Ralph can find a sweating smilie???)

MarkCCU
August 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
haven't attended the practices though i read the reports everyday on the internet.