PDA

View Full Version : NEC

Nova09
November 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
So what happens if Duquesne beats Albany and Wagner and Monmouth wins out and there are 4 2-loss teams but Monmouth is one win behind the others?

dgreco
November 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
I would think if it looks like that may be a reality (Duquesne wins this week and next week) that CCSU/Monmouth would try to reschedule their game. However, I think Wagner is going to win out and it will be a moot point. But that doesn't answer your question really.

aceinthehole
November 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
So what happens if Duquesne beats Albany and Wagner and Monmouth wins out and there are 4 2-loss teams but Monmouth is one win behind the others?
Duquesne lost to RMU today and so now just 3 teams (Wagner, Albany, and Monmouth) could finish tied with 2 NEC losses.

If that happens, Wagner would win the AQ with the tiebreaker (head-to-head) against Albany, and would have more wins than Monmouth.

I can't see any realistic scenario which Monmouth would be awarded the NEC auto-qualifier unless they somehow reschedule and win the game vs. CCSU (in addition to the help they need from Wagner and Albany)

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Why all this talk of rescheduling? When would they play? Sun Nov 18th before selection show?

danefan
November 4th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I don't know what's going t happen but I really see 2 possibilities.

1. Wagner beats Duquesne on the 17th. Nothing else matters.
2. Wagner loses to Duquesne on the 17th and Albany wins out. Albany wins the AQ.

Nova09
November 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I assume the fact that Monmouth lost to both Albany and Wagner would mean that with Duquesne no longer able to be involved in the tie MOnmouth would drop out and it would come down to Wagner-Albany head to head, so that settles that.

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I assume the fact that Monmouth lost to both Albany and Wagner would mean that with Duquesne no longer able to be involved in the tie MOnmouth would drop out and it would come down to Wagner-Albany head to head, so that settles that.

No, Monmouth already beat Wagner. That's why people are asking what would happens in there is a 3-way tie with 2 losses.

Wagner (6-2) ---> beat Albany (6-2)
Monmouth (5-2) ---> beat Wagner (6-2)
Albany (6-2) ---> beat Monmouth (5-2)

But as danefan points out, if Albany wins out they would eliminate Monmouth and the cancelled game with CCSU wouldn't matter one bit.

Basically the NEC AQ bid comes down to Wagner and Albany, with the Seahawks in the driver's seat. Albany has to win out and needs Wagner drops its last game vs. Duquesne.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
No, Monmouth already beat Wagner. That's why people are asking what would happens in there is a 3-way tie with 2 losses.

Wagner (6-2) ---> beat Albany (6-2)
Monmouth (5-2) ---> beat Wagner (6-2)
Albany (6-2) ---> beat Monmouth (5-2)

But as danefan points out, if Albany wins out they would eliminate Monmouth and the cancelled game with CCSU wouldn't matter one bit.

Basically the NEC AQ bid comes down to Wagner and Albany, with the Seahawks in the driver's seat. Albany has to win out and needs Wagner drops its last game vs. Duquesne.

What are you talking about. In the example you lay out, if Monmouth won the CCSU game, there is a three way tie with each team beating one of the others. I your scenario, not playing the CCSU game is huge.

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM
What are you talking about. In the example you lay out, if Monmouth won the CCSU game, there is a three way tie with each team beating one of the others. I your scenario, not playing the CCSU game is huge.

True, but Monmouth needs a lot of help for this scenario to occur in the first place.
1) Wagner must lose to Duquesne, and
2) Albany must lose to either (or both) Duquesne or CCSU, and
3) Monmouth must beat Saint Francis and Robert Morris.

Only then would the cancelled CCSU game impact Monmouth's chance at the NEC AQ.

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Straight from the NEC office - Monmouth is eliminated. The NEC playoff representative will be either Wagner or Albany.

From Tony Grahm of the Asbury Park Press:

Hawks eliminated from NEC race…

Despite Albany’s loss to Wagner Saturday MU cannot tie (or win) for the NEC title according to Ralph Ventre of the NEC because:

1. Monmouth can’t catch Wagner. Wagner already has six wins and Monmouth can only get to five because they aren’t playing that CCSU game (MU turned down the option to play it either yesterday or today at CCSU).

2. The NEC has to name the recipient of its automatic bid by the morning on Nov. 18. There is no way Monmouth can play 3 NEC games by then.http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2012/11/04/mu-football-26/

This sucks for MU fans, but is totally understandable and reasonable.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Straight from the NEC office - Monmouth is eliminated. The NEC playoff representative will be either Wagner or Albany.

From Tony Grahm of the Asbury Park Press:
http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2012/11/04/mu-football-26/

This sucks for MU fans, but is totally understandable and reasonable.

That is their call and I am sure they knew the consequences when they made the decision. Probably the right call though given the circumstances.

danefan
November 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm glad it was MU's decision and not the NEC.