November 3rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Effective at the end of the season

This announcement comes just a few hours until FAMU plays NCA&T

Big Dawg
November 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Taylor Announces Retirement At Pre-Game Breakfast
Release: Saturday 11/03/2012 (ET)
by Florida A&M Sports Information

TALLAHASSEE,FL (Nov.2) – FAMU head coach Joe Taylor announced his retirement from coaching this morning in the team's pre-game breakfast. Taylor said that after 40 years on the sideline, "You know, when you know. From 1972 to now is 40 years. It's been a blessed career. We've touched a lot of lives. I'm officially announcing today that this is the year I retire, humbly. Full of gratitude," he said.

As players prepared for the MEAC game against the North Carolina A&T State University, they had no idea that Taylor was about to make such a startling announcement. Players coaches and support staff embraced Taylor and vowed to give their all in winning the last three games.

Taylor has amassed a record of 233 wins against 95 losses. He accumulated a 35-18 record thus far in his tenure at FAMU. With the 233 wins, Taylor sits tied with longtime Southern University coach A.W. "Ace" Mumford for third place all-time in wins. He is two wins away from tying John "Big John" Merritt, at 235 to move into second place behind the untouchable record of Grambling's Eddie Robinson.

http://www.famuathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25300&ATCLID=205724664

Mr. C
November 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Sad news for this writer. Joe Taylor is one of the classiest coaches I've ever met and is a true gentleman. He will be missed by many.

Big Dawg
November 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
True...but FAMU fans have been frustrated this season. This is a team that had the talent to carry the Rattlers into the playoffs and possibly get a victory, but the ball has not bounce our way this year. Every game we've lost, excluding Oklahoma, has been by 7 points or less...and we've had a chance to win as time expired in each contest. The only thing that would've made Rattler fans happy is a MEAC Championship and a trip to the playoffs.

HOWEVER, Joe Taylor is one of the nicest coaches I've ever met. He turned this team around and began getting players to graduate. There weren't any real discipline problems under his watch. He took a program that was still reeling after the failed I-A/FBS move, and turned them into contenders.

It's sad to see him go, but a change was needed.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it was retire or be retired. At least he got to go out on his own.

Big Dawg
November 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Well after today's performance, FAMU fans want an interim on the sideline for the Homecoming game...RATTLER fans are pissed!!!