PDA

View Full Version : Rumors are circulating that Western Carolina is considering dropping football

Mr. Peabody
November 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
A loser of the football field, a loser in the stands and now losing at the bottom line, rumors have been circulating throughout Cullowhee that the Board of Trustees are having secret meetings about the possibility of dropping football. Has any WCU fan heard these rumors?

I have heard that WCU's Board wants an extensive review of the athletics department, because the football program, in terms of cost and benefit, is the only one of the athletic programs that haven't seen any level of success for nearly three or four decades.

I do know that in the last 24 years, the Kittymounts have had 18 losing seasons, and since 2006, these "lovable losers" are 3-50 in the Southern Conference and 12-64 in all games.

I think the board needs to pull the trigger on the football program and put the Kittymounts out of their misery.

Your thoughts?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
A loser of the football field, a loser in the stands and now losing at the bottom line, rumors have been circulating throughout Cullowhee that the Board of Trustees are having secret meetings about the possibility of dropping football. Has any WCU fan heard these rumors?

I have heard that WCU's Board wants an extensive review of the athletics department, because the football program, in terms of cost and benefit, is the only one of the athletic programs that haven't seen any level of success for nearly three or four decades.

I do know that in the last 24 years, the Kittymounts have had 18 losing seasons, and since 2006, these "lovable losers" are 3-50 in the Southern Conference and 12-64 in all games.

I think the board needs to pull the trigger on the football program and put the Kittymounts out of their misery.

Your thoughts?

I think you are a newbie troll who doesn't know this belongs in the smack forum.

Source or GTFO

bullitt_60
November 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Even though you are trolling as every one of your post is anti-WCU (which boggles the mind), I will bite. Losing WCU would be very unfortunate and overall a loss for the Southern Conference. Programs can always turn around. I will reference as proof South Carolina and even Florida to an extent.

Mr. Peabody
November 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Source? Roscoe, Popcorn, Wee Willy and Bubba, four local drunks of Cullowhee.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Source? Roscoe, Popcorn, Wee Willy and Bubba, four local drunks of Cullowhee.

sorry I was unclear, an unclever newbie troll.

Mr. Peabody
November 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Even though you are trolling as every one of your post is anti-WCU (which boggles the mind), I will bite. Losing WCU would be very unfortunate and overall a loss for the Southern Conference. Programs can always turn around. I will reference as proof South Carolina and even Florida to an extent.

Isn't Western Carolina 0-18 against your fine program? Yeah, I get it, it would be, from your perspective, very unfortunate and overall a loss for the Southern Conference if Western Carolina dropped football. I wonder why?
Maybe the Southern Conference can replace WCU (if they drop football like East Tennessee State did in 2004) with Coastal Carolina? What do ya think?

Laker
November 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Well, I am a little suspicious when your post #1 kept talking about the "worst" program in the country. So if you heard these rumors in a bar, the rest of us may have our doubts.

WataugaDave
November 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Here's a brief summary:

1. You have absolutely no source for your information.
2. You are a troll.
3. You are a dumbass.
4. You have no class, and no respect for one of longest-standing rivalries in the FCS.
5. If WCU is so bad, why did you make an entire account dedicated to insulting them. Someone seems to be just a little bit obsessed.
6. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you were chattownmocs or some other troll trying to embarrass us. I hope for the sake of everyone around you that you aren't just this stupid.
7. **** off.
8. Go to hell.

Those are my thoughts.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM

Isn't Western Carolina 0-18 against your fine program? Yeah, I get it, it would be, from your perspective, very unfortunate and overall a loss for the Southern Conference if Western Carolina dropped football. I wonder why?
Maybe the Southern Conference can replace WCU (if they drop football like East Tennessee State did in 2004) with Coastal Carolina? What do ya think?

http://asseeninshreveport.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/dumbgif1.gif?w=320&h=240

Vitojr130
November 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
My thoughts? Here's a brief summary:

1. You have absolutely no source for your information.
2. You are a troll.
3. You are a dumbass.
4. You have no class, and no respect for one of longest-standing rivalries in the FCS.
5. If WCU is so bad, why did you make an entire account dedicated to insulting them. Someone seems to be just a little bit obsessed.
6. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you were chattownmocs or some other troll trying to embarrass us. I hope for the sake of everyone around you that you aren't just this stupid.
7. **** off.
8.???
9. Profit.

Those are my thoughts.

FIFYxthumbsupx

dgtw
November 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Take Sherman, hop in the Wayback Machine and go back and see if you can find the clue you lost a long time ago.

Laker
November 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Take Sherman, hop in the Wayback Machine and go back and see if you can find the clue you lost a long time ago.

Great reference from my childhood. Did you know that his first name is Hector?

Smitty
November 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Wow another one of these?

I-16Bandit
November 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Smacking on Western? Is that even fair?

OL FU
November 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Some of us are old and we remember a very good period of time for football at WCU. Now you may say that isn't relevant. But those of us also remember a very good time for football at Chattanooga. Not that it is back yet, but it is certainly going in the right direction. WCU can do the same thing

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Some of us are old and we remember a very good period of time for football at WCU. Now you may say that isn't relevant. But those of us also remember a very good time for football at Chattanooga. Not that it is back yet, but it is certainly going in the right direction. WCU can do the same thing

I remember Bobby Waters' club beating us in the 1983 NCAA Play-offs (we were pre-season #1 that year) and then beating a very strong Holy Cross squad in the Quarterfinals to reach the Final Four.

Laker
November 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM

I remember Bobby Waters' club beating us in the 1983 NCAA Play-offs (we were pre-season #1 that year) and then beating a very strong Holy Cross squad in the Quarterfinals to reach the Final Four.

The American Way is not to drop the sport of football. It is to take stock of why you are being unsuccessful and do your best to improve the situation.

LakesBison
November 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
leave britney alone!!

Mr. Peabody
November 2nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
All very good points gentlemen ... but so very wrong. This troll knows Western Carolina needs to spare itself from further embarrassment and drop football. Even members of their super marching band had it right early this season by passing around a petition to drop football. Oh well, so much for support from the student body. Yikes!

Gringer1
November 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry you guys, but it turns out he was right all along. I found a press conference confirming that the rumors are true. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksc85bFfoPk)

sgt smash
November 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry you guys, but it turns out he was right all along. I found a press conference confirming that the rumors are true. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksc85bFfoPk)

Yep, I fell for that.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2012, 10:32 PM
The American Way is not to drop the sport of football. It is to take stock of why you are being unsuccessful and do your best to improve the situation.
I disagree. The American Way would be 1) denial, 2) deflect blame, 3) convince the consumer they're the victim, 4) exploit the consumer, and 5) repeat.

The Cats
November 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
All very good points gentlemen ... but so very wrong. This troll knows Western Carolina needs to spare itself from further embarrassment and drop football. Even members of their super marching band had it right early this season by passing around a petition to drop football. Oh well, so much for support from the student body. Yikes!

That's the most stupid post I've ever seen.

The demise of the football team would mean the demise of the marching band, and there is not a member of the 400+ Pride of the Mountains that would sign such a document, must less circulate it.

Why not post about something you know about. Like how to clean septic tanks.

dgtw
November 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
If you have no football team, you have no need for a marching band, so I have my doubts the band would be signing their own death certificate.

ODUalum78
November 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Great reference from my childhood. Did you know that his first name is Hector?

And he became "attached" to Mr Peabody because "every dog needs a boy"
I am really showing my age now.

DSUrocks07
November 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHdlka9fvA

WataugaDave
November 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Why not post about something you know about. Like how to clean septic tanks.

Don't be silly. Septic tank workers have to get training, and they earn pretty decent money. This idiot is obviously incapable of both.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Every program hits the doldrums from time to time. Colgate's certainly has over the years (0-11 in 1995), but not enough to drop football. Pennsylvania was horrible from the late 1950's until the early 1980's. Davidson built up again. VMI has struggled, but they never considered dropping the sport.

WataugaDave
November 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Dropping football should be an ABSOLUTE last resort. I'm not suggesting WCU do this, but changing conferences or even dropping down a division would be preferable.

Look at Winston-Salem State, they were losing money big time in MEAC and now they're towards the top of the heap in D-II which has created an energized fanbase. Much better than if they had just given up.

However, I don't think that WCU has to do this. I agree with the "runaway train" analogy that was made in another thread. They could very well be on the road to recovery, we've been able to see some signs of it this season.

Mr. C
November 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Why would WCU make a commitment to Mark Speir as a new coach, with a talented staff, and start bumping up elements of the program less than 12 months ago, if the Board of Trustees was planning to kill the program? This makes absolutely no sense. Great way to start posting, Mr. Peabody. We might have another Minneapolis Bison here.

ASU_Fanatic
November 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
WCU can't afford to lose football

WataugaDave
November 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
WCU can't afford to lose football

They're the only D-I football program between Boone and Knoxville or Chattanooga. In fact, I think the only other football program period around there is Mars Hill.

Even in bad years their market is pretty much secure.

ASU_Fanatic
November 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
They're the only D-I football program between Boone and Knoxville or Chattanooga. In fact, I think the only other football program period around there is Mars Hill.

Even in bad years their market is pretty much secure.
Good point.

CID1990
November 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Rumors are circulating that there is a virgin in Boone. (Because she can still outrun her brother and father)

catamount man
November 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
WCU will be back someday. This new guy is a bonafide idiot.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
The new guy should learn where the smack board is and put rumors in there as wel especially the ones he makes up.

Mr. Peabody
November 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Western will be back some day! Hahahaha now that's funny there ... another completely delusional Kittymount. Uh, 2050 is "someday."

Mr. Peabody
November 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Well, WCU loses its 22nd straight SoCon game in front of a pathetic crowd of 3,000 ... I said maybe 3,000. Today's loss also drops WCU to 3-51 in the SoCon since 2006. WOW! Can it get any worse? Oh yeah, it can ... ya'll get Alabama in two weeks. ROLL TIDE. Come on Kittymounts ... come get some.

But ya'll keep thinking that "someday manure!" Yup ... someday

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
If the WCU Chancellor is Paul Stanton and the AD is Dave Mullins (which, thankfully, is not the case), I say it is very possible. I think WCU will do better than some of you think next season.

Apphole
November 3rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
Why on earth would you make an exclusively anti-Western handle?

WataugaDave
November 3rd, 2012, 10:07 PM
I said maybe 3,000.

Attendance was 7,099 (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=201211030179)

Also, seriously. Why the hell do you have such a hard-on for Western Carolina? Because you're an Alabama fan? Bull****. Alabama is #1 and undefeated. There's no way you're talking all this smack because of an FCS money game. What's the real reason?