PDA

View Full Version : I-A Army is I-AA friendly..

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I was checking out future Army football schedules and they seem to be playing some notable IAAs in the coming years. Notably, New Hampshire in 2008 and Yale in 2010 and 2012. Now that's intriguing... I'd seriously consider getting tickets for Amry-Yale in the Yale Bowl.

Plus, there were some rumblings on here of getting Lafayette and Army to play each other... and I know Lehigh has often contacted Army to no avail. Army made the right move going to IA independent, and I think that is also shown in regards to more flexible I-AA games.

I am not sure why Army will not schedule Lehigh when they schedule UNH, arguably a stronger team. But by 2008 who knows...

ucdtim17
August 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hopefully they'll follow through on that game @Yale

cosmo here
August 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
there were some rumblings on here of getting Lafayette and Army to play each other... and I know Lehigh has often contacted Army to no avail... I am not sure why Army will not schedule Lehigh when they schedule UNH, arguably a stronger team. But by 2008 who knows...

because they are a full member of the Patriot League in everything but football, and don't want to strain any relationships by playing one PL school and not others.

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM
because they are a full member of the Patriot League in everything but football, and don't want to strain any relationships by playing one PL school and not others.

I don't know about that... Army played Holy Cross in 2002 and lost...

GannonFan
August 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe Army is just sticking with teams in the New England area - can't blame them, there are plenty enough I-AA schools up there for them to play with more name recognition in the area than a Lehigh would be, regardless of Lehigh's mostly better pedigree.

cosmo here
August 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I don't know about that... Army played Holy Cross in 2002 and lost...

then maybe that's why :)

bulldog10jw
August 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I was checking out future Army football schedules and they seem to be playing some notable IAAs in the coming years. Notably, New Hampshire in 2008 and Yale in 2010 and 2012. Now that's intriguing... I'd seriously consider getting tickets for Amry-Yale in the Yale Bowl.

Plus, there were some rumblings on here of getting Lafayette and Army to play each other... and I know Lehigh has often contacted Army to no avail. Army made the right move going to IA independent, and I think that is also shown in regards to more flexible I-AA games.

I am not sure why Army will not schedule Lehigh when they schedule UNH, arguably a stronger team. But by 2008 who knows...

According to this years Yale Media Guide, Army is coming to the Bowl in 2014.

carney2
August 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
there were some rumblings on here of getting Lafayette and Army to play each other...

Where are you getting this? If it's from last week's post about the alumni "Football Forum" where Coach Tavani addressed this item during his Q&A time, methinks that you are reading way too much into what was said. A woman asked if we would ever be going back to West Point because she enjoyed those trips so much. Frank then went into a harangue about how he had talked to the folks at Army, but to no avail. He made some tongue in cheek comments about how they're "scared," and how "they'll call us after we've had a bad season," etc. He did make one, I believe, serious remark however when he pointed out that Army has scheduled VMI (10/7/2006), but that they don't seem to want any of those big paydays going to Patriot League schools. (For those of you who may not be aware, Army is a full member of the Patriot League for most sports besides football.) At no point did I get the impression that the pursuit of a game vs. Army is a serious goal of Lafayette football scheduling.

Andy - any additional views? What was your take on this part of the evening?

Husky Alum
August 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM
According to this years Yale Media Guide, Army is coming to the Bowl in 2014.

That will be a GREAT event. I'll even drive down from Boston for that game. A blast back to my past with a top team playing in the Bowl.

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Where are you getting this? If it's from last week's post about the alumni "Football Forum" where Coach Tavani addressed this item during his Q&A time, methinks that you are reading way too much into what was said. A woman asked if we would ever be going back to West Point because she enjoyed those trips so much. Frank then went into a harangue about how he had talked to the folks at Army, but to no avail. He made some tongue in cheek comments about how they're "scared," and how "they'll call us after we've had a bad season," etc. He did make one, I believe, serious remark however when he pointed out that Army has scheduled VMI (10/7/2006), but that they don't seem to want any of those big paydays going to Patriot League schools. (For those of you who may not be aware, Army is a full member of the Patriot League for most sports besides football.) At no point did I get the impression that the pursuit of a game vs. Army is a serious goal of Lafayette football scheduling.

Andy - any additional views? What was your take on this part of the evening?

Ok, that was not made clear.

Ivytalk
August 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
A game at Michie Stadium in October is one of the great sports experiences of a lifetime. Fall foliage and a packed house on the Hudson.

LBPop
August 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM
There was some talk last year about a possible Georgetown game with Army within a year or two. Then, when the coach left, I stopped hearing about it. When Georgetown hired a Navy assistant, I tried to decide whether that would make it more or less likely that such talk would be revived. Don't know, but there's no buzz about it now. I would have loved to travel up the Hudson for that game.

bulldog10jw
August 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
A game at Michie Stadium in October is one of the great sports experiences of a lifetime. Fall foliage and a packed house on the Hudson.

I agree. A wonderful experience. I did get a little tired of Army's cannon going off every time they scored, though. And they scored many points the one game against Yale I saw there.

Umass74
August 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM
The Army-UMass game drew 34,055 the second highest draw on Army's home schedule, so playing local teams could make sense.

And yes, it was a wonderful atmosphere. If your team plays at Army ---go!

Linehawg
August 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe Army is just sticking with teams in the New England area - can't blame them, there are plenty enough I-AA schools up there for them to play with more name recognition in the area than a Lehigh would be, regardless of Lehigh's mostly better pedigree.

Nah, they went for the big payday by putting VMI on the schedule this year in an ESPN televised game. Bobby Ross has close ties to the school (still has a house in the Lexington area) and we're looking forward to seeing what they've got.

blukeys
August 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM
The Army-UMass game drew 34,055 the second highest draw on Army's home schedule, so playing local teams could make sense.

And yes, it was a wonderful atmosphere. If your team plays at Army ---go!

Agree 100%

Delaware seems addicted to Navy. I am not complaining about playing the Middies and it is a close game for the fans and the pageantry is every bit as good as Army but the beauty of West Point is unmatched. Any time you get to go to a service academy take the time to walk around and see the sights. It is truly inspiring and one of the rare times you can be proud of your tax dollars at work.

cosmo here
August 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Nah, they went for the big payday by putting VMI on the schedule this year in an ESPN televised game. Bobby Ross has close ties to the school (still has a house in the Lexington area) and we're looking forward to seeing what they've got.

All of Army's games are televised on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU by contract, so it doesn't matter who they play. It will still be on TV.

Pard4Life
August 9th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Agree 100%

Delaware seems addicted to Navy. I am not complaining about playing the Middies and it is a close game for the fans and the pageantry is every bit as good as Army but the beauty of West Point is unmatched. Any time you get to go to a service academy take the time to walk around and see the sights. It is truly inspiring and one of the rare times you can be proud of your tax dollars at work.

This is true... haven't been up there in ten years but I do remember a tour and sightseeing being magnificent. Got some nice pictures to boot. Haven't been to Miche in the fall, but I did see them play Ohio in September 1996, the last year they made the Top 25. Was not concious of it at the time, but the Pards played Army as well that season.

Kosty
August 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Agree 100%

UMass is going to Navy this year.

danefan
August 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I grew up near West Point. Great place to see a game.

Here is a link to some pics of the stadium, which sits right on the edge of the Hudson River.

http://www.goarmysports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=11100&PALBID=4408

Pard4Life
August 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Great pics!

I never posted the origonal future-schedule link, so here it is...

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/army_future.htm