Sep 7 at Virginia Tech
Oct 12 at Auburn

GO CATS!

Eagle11
October 30th, 2012, 06:26 PM
ouch

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Well if you're going to lose all your games anyway, might as well cash in.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm sure the check you're getting to come to Fargo for a guarantee game on 9/21 isn't peanuts either (provided it isn't bought out).

utcfan
October 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Should be about $1,000,000 for those three games

catamount man
October 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm sure the check you're getting to come to Fargo for a guarantee game on 9/21 isn't peanuts either (provided it isn't bought out).

WCU got out of the game and replaced NDSU with Middle Tennessee.

ncguitarplyr
October 30th, 2012, 06:54 PM
That's not the way to build a program. Even if they have the best team they've had in years they have no shot at the playoffs with 3 guaranteed losses right off the bat.

ASU_Fanatic
October 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
No Mars Hill? They really may go 0-11 next year I have no idea why they are doing this. They really might not even have a team by 2020 honestly. I actually thought they could win some games next year but they aren't gonna beat any of those teams and they all will take a hit to WCU players confidence.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
WCU got out of the game and replaced NDSU with Middle Tennessee.
Really? When did this happen? I know there was a rumor floating around but I figured it was just normal message board fodder.

JSUBison
October 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
madhatter-

Do you have press release or article? Or is this more of a inside thing right now among the fans or admins you heard this from?

asumike83
October 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I guess the thinking is short-term pain, long-term gain. Those 3 ballgames should net in the area of $1.5M for the Western athletic department. If they can use that money wisely and Coach Speir hits the recruiting trail hard, it could pay off down the road. Still... ouch.

theasushow
October 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Should be about $1,000,000 for those three games

Heck it may be more than that...Michigan alone is paying APP $850,000 in 2014.

theasushow
October 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I guess the thinking is short-term pain, long-term gain. Those 3 ballgames should net in the area of $1.5M for the Western athletic department. If they can use that money wisely and Coach Speir hits the recruiting trail hard, it could pay off down the road. Still... ouch.

You can have all the money in the world, but the reality is recruits dont wanna play for an 0-11 program. Ofcourse that $$ can make great enhancements, but at the end of the day success counts too.

totoinfl
October 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I bet Auburn will be shelling out some serious cash...best hope to have enough healthy players to play week 4.

eaglewraith
October 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM

The App-Michigan thing is a special case.

I've never seen an FCS get that much of a guarantee. There's a little more at play there than just your normal FCS/FBS matchup.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Part of the payout is of course travel money. I think Auburn paid Utah State $950,000 last year. And they almost got beat.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Wait. Is Utah State FCS?

catamount man
October 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM
WCU is playing 12 games in 2013 as the calendar is gonna allow all FCS schools the same option. Season runs in FBS Aug 31-Dec 7, and for FCS Aug 31-Nov 23. 13 Saturdays. 12 with 1 open date. A lot of FBS schools have 2 open dates next season. WCU will play 8 SoCon, 4 road/home, 3 money games on the road and a d2 opponent in Cullowhee and I would assume Mars Hill will make the trip for the third straight year.

As NDSU goes, WCU paid the buy out fee to NDSU. I have been told this by a former football player and major donor as well as an unnamed high ranking official at the University.

GO CATS!

asujch
October 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Wait. Is Utah State FCS?

nope WAC, but basically the same thing.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
No they are FBS.

catamount man
October 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
No Mars Hill? They really may go 0-11 next year I have no idea why they are doing this. They really might not even have a team by 2020 honestly. I actually thought they could win some games next year but they aren't gonna beat any of those teams and they all will take a hit to WCU players confidence.

This won't happen. I know a couple of big donors who have future gifts of money tied to the school RENDERED NULL AND VOID should football ever be dropped.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I wish GSU was playing Auburn next year. :)

appmaj
October 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
MTSU is a money game?

Apphole
October 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM

1 Mil after our FBS move.

Dane96
October 30th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Aug 31 at Middle Tennessee
Sep 7 at Virginia Tech
Oct 12 at Auburn

GO CATS!

Assinine. WCU doesn't even have a shot vs. MTSU.

I hate that schools do this.

Dane96
October 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
nope WAC, but basically the same thing.

UMMMM...no, they would handily beat most of FCS...without blinking.

Sader87
October 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Please...let's save the faux outrage, I wish Holy Cross had 3 FBS games next year.

Smitty
October 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
they all will take a hit to WCU players confidence.

Honestly I think it is more survive (without injury) and have fun that you are playing against Auburn (and other schools). A lot of these people would have dreamed to play on that field, even if they get beat 62-14

Thundar
October 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Honestly I think it is more survive (without injury) and have fun that you are playing against Auburn (and other schools). A lot of these people would have dreamed to play on that field, even if they get beat 62-14

I would schedule to win, not put kids on a field they dream of playing on for 3 beatdowns, with that ill ask why would they do this? Budget shortfall?

pike51
October 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Even with that schedule, I'd bet they finish with a better record than GA State!

Sader87
October 30th, 2012, 09:17 PM
If I were the Holy Cross AD and I could schedule BC, Army and Rutgers next year, I would do it in a heart-beat. I realize HC is and will always be a FCS program but let's calm down here people....

wmmii
October 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
The players do not benefit from three games like this..........the fans get demoralized.............so the schools gets $$$ and everybody is unhappy??????

Southern Bison
October 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM

Looks like they're taking a page from Georgia Southern 2011...although Western Carolina has no shot of making the playoffs and still leaving Fargo with an ***-whoopin'.

ASU_Fanatic
October 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
You can have all the money in the world, but the reality is recruits dont wanna play for an 0-11 program. Ofcourse that $$ can make great enhancements, but at the end of the day success counts too.
And it's not like when a player visits Cullowhee he's gonna be blown away. It's a nice campus and all there's just really not much there

ASU_Fanatic
October 30th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I would schedule to win, not put kids on a field they dream of playing on for 3 beatdowns, with that ill ask why would they do this? Budget shortfall?

Really I mean look what Duke did this year. It's kind of similar, they had their best chance in forever to qualify for a bowl but if they would have went and scheduled teams like Alabama and Oregon they wouldn't have had a prayer still. So what they did is schedule one tough non conference game then the the other 3 OOC were against very poor teams that they knew they would beat. 1 FCS and 2 FBS=3 wins so then they only needed 3 conference wins to become bowl eligible. It worked for them, they played like NCCU, Memphis, and FIU and won all of those games and they're gonna go bowling. Now they probably don't need the money like WCU does, but if I were WCU I'd schedule 1 money game a year then two more games OOC they should win. Keep playing Mars Hill then pick up an inferior FCS opponent just like VMI or Gardner Webb for example. I still think players' confidence will be higher headed into SoCon play 2-1 than it would be 0-3 even though all 3 of those teams are superior to them.

asumike83
October 30th, 2012, 11:31 PM

No question. I'm just assuming that his strategy to rebuild that program is to sell recruits on being a part of something new, which those enhancements could help with. He has a tough road to sled, really no easy way to do it.

dgtw
October 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
I think going .500 against a weak schedule is going to sell recruits more than going 2-9 and getting pounded by big name FBS schools.

Arkansas had a late opening on their schedule this year after Texas A&M joined the SEC, which had been scheduled as a non-conference game. So they gave their old buddy Jack Crowe a game. The Gamecocks also play Florida to end the season. If we can beat UT-Martin, we'll finish 7-4, barring a major upset in the Swamp.

A game with a weak sister FCS team makes us 8-3 and looks much better to the at large committee.

Smitty
October 31st, 2012, 05:18 AM
And it's not like when a player visits Cullowhee he's gonna be blown away. It's a nice campus and all there's just really not much there

To each his own

Smitty
October 31st, 2012, 05:20 AM

Budget shotfall for the past 3 years I think

Smitty
October 31st, 2012, 05:22 AM
The players do not benefit from three games like this..........the fans get demoralized.............so the schools gets $$$ and everybody is unhappy??????

Well if you know anything about our history you should know that the fans have been demoralized. Honestly I'm not excited about this but if it helps out in the long run...

Go Apps
October 31st, 2012, 06:08 AM
Sep 7 at Virginia Tech
Oct 12 at Auburn

GO CATS!

ASU will pay you not have to go to Western again

Baldy
October 31st, 2012, 06:52 AM
MTSU is a money game?
Exactly. I'd be surprised if Western were to break even for that game.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 31st, 2012, 07:30 AM

The players love playing the FBS games.

Looks like they're taking a page from Georgia Southern 2011...although Western Carolina has no shot of making the playoffs and still leaving Fargo with an ***-whoopin'.

I thought it was ridiculous for us to schedule home and home with SDSU and NDSU. When Monken came back (and with him GSU football) we resumed our "normal" scheduling of 6 home games with one OOC FBS and two OOC FCS from Pioneer, MEAC, or Big South.

The name of the playoff game is to finish with as many DI wins as possible and play at home. It's a formula that's worked pretty well for us over the years. Jeff Monken would've bought out that game even if it was against Duquesne.

Smitty
October 31st, 2012, 07:40 AM
ASU will pay you not have to go to Western again

Awww you don't mean it...

MarkyMark
October 31st, 2012, 08:26 AM
The players love playing the FBS games.

I thought it was ridiculous for us to schedule home and home with SDSU and NDSU. When Monken came back (and with him GSU football) we resumed our "normal" scheduling of 6 home games with one OOC FBS and two OOC FCS from Pioneer, MEAC, or Big South.

The name of the playoff game is to finish with as many DI wins as possible and play at home. It's a formula that's worked pretty well for us over the years. Jeff Monken would've bought out that game even if it was against Duquesne.

It's a great scheduling strategy but didn't GSU drop NDSU and add non-counter D2 Tusculum to their schedule instead?

eaglewraith
October 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
It's a great scheduling strategy but didn't GSU drop NDSU and add non-counter D2 Tusculum to their schedule instead?

No we added D1 Presbyterian so we could have another home game.

Tusculum was added when Coastal Carolina dropped us to pursue an FBS game. The Coastal game was already set as a home game. We were unable to find a D1 opponent to replace them.

How long is this lie going to persist?

MarkyMark
October 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM
No we added D1 Presbyterian so we could have another home game.

Tusculum was added when Coastal Carolina dropped us to pursue an FBS game. The Coastal game was already set as a home game. We were unable to find a D1 opponent to replace them.

How long is this lie going to persist?

Ironically GSU could have played that Sept. 17th scheduled game and had a much better chance to beat us then you did in December. If you had beat us in Sept. GSU would have had homefield throughout the playoffs. So instead you drop NDSU and ultimately end up with a non-counter.

JSUBison
October 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
How much was the WCU/NDSU buyout, anyone?

eaglewraith
October 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ironically GSU could have played that Sept. 17th scheduled game and had a much better chance to beat us then you did in December. If you had beat us in Sept. GSU would have had homefield throughout the playoffs. So instead you drop NDSU and ultimately end up with a non-counter.

We would have ended up with a D2 regardless of whether or not we dropped NDSU.

If we had beaten App State, our only loss would have been to Alabama. Worst case we would have been #2.

So no, dropping NDSU did not cost us homefield. Us not taking care of business at App, and having some misfortune with having to pickup a D2 hurt us.

DSUrocks07
October 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM

If success and record is the only thing that matters then half of FCS should drop down to Division II. What people need to realize is that not everyone can have a winning record every season. I imagine that we're gonna see a lot of these 2 or 3 FBS OOC schedules next season. Its a rare occurrence for 12 game seasons to happen.

Baldy
October 31st, 2012, 09:18 AM

If we had beaten App State, our only loss would have been to Alabama. Worst case we would have been #2.

So no, dropping NDSU did not cost us homefield. Us not taking care of business at App, and having some misfortune with having to pickup a D2 hurt us.
Word.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM

Correct. The DII game was from Coastal Carolina backing out on us. The NDSU replacement game was Presbyterian. A win at App would've made us 9-0 in the eyes of the committee instead of 8-1 and we would've gotten the #2 seed over 10-1 NDSU.

I still think NDSU would've beaten us at home. Their defense was pretty awesome in 2011.

dgtw
October 31st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Exactly. I'd be surprised if Western were to break even for that game.

A bus trip to Murfreesboro is a lot cheaper than flying to Fargo.

walliver
October 31st, 2012, 02:58 PM
If success and record is the only thing that matters then half of FCS should drop down to Division II. What people need to realize is that not everyone can have a winning record every season. I imagine that we're gonna see a lot of these 2 or 3 FBS OOC schedules next season. Its a rare occurrence for 12 game seasons to happen.

I think these 2 to 3 FBS game teams will be the exception, not the rule. Although FCS teams will have an extra game, FBS teams will not have any extra games.

bullitt_60
October 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Assinine. WCU doesn't even have a shot vs. MTSU.

I hate that schools do this.

You're right. Their best chance at a win is against Auburn.

theasushow
October 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM

I agree, but there is a difference in "not having a winning record every season" and being 12-64 the last 7 years.

ElCid
October 31st, 2012, 06:18 PM
I can understand if a team had a shot at a winning record or conf championship or a playoff shot, but, and no offense to WCU, I don't think they will have any of those things on the radar. So, they play some very good teams, get paid a good bit, build some confidence, even with loses since they are playing the big time. So I am not sure what the down side is. I don't buy the injury thing since that can happen at any level of play. I think a lot of the benefit will depend on how the WCU coaches manage it week to week. Good for WCU, they will do better next year regardless of this schedule and they might even be dangerous in '14.

catamount man
October 31st, 2012, 06:53 PM
I can understand if a team had a shot at a winning record or conf championship or a playoff shot, but, and no offense to WCU, I don't think they will have any of those things on the radar. So, they play some very good teams, get paid a good bit, build some confidence, even with loses since they are playing the big time. So I am not sure what the down side is. I don't buy the injury thing since that can happen at any level of play. I think a lot of the benefit will depend on how the WCU coaches manage it week to week. Good for WCU, they will do better next year regardless of this schedule and they might even be dangerous in '14.

Thanks El Cid. I think we have an offense than can score points. It's our defense that suffered SEVERELY under the Wagner regime. Everybody remembers Geoff Collins and the stout defenses he had in Cullowhee in 2004 and 2005. When he left after 2005, a toughness went with him. He is now co-dc at Miss.State. Repairing the defense is order #1 in the Speir era and I feel certain our coaches knew this. If we can shore that defense up and Troy Mitchell and Spearman Robinson, both true freshmen, stay healthy, I'm gonna be loving some Catamount football the next few years.

GO CATS!

utcfan
October 31st, 2012, 09:28 PM
UTC is picking up an extra FCS in 12 game years and sticking with one BCS $ game each year...I am glad they did not pick up one or two extra BCS $$ games. 2013-2016 in various combinations looks like: UT Martin, Austin Peay, Presbyterian, and Georgia State (home and home, scheduled before they went FBS..time will tell if this holds). I do understand $1,000,000 to $1,200,000 will come in handy for WCU

LakesBison
November 1st, 2012, 12:06 AM
I actually talked to wcu ad 3 years ago on a live blog. He said "we can't wait to go experience NDSU & fargodome

T-Dog
November 1st, 2012, 01:02 AM
I actually talked to wcu ad 3 years ago on a live blog. He said "we can't wait to go experience NDSU & fargodome

That AD was fired this time last year.

http://www.thewesterncarolinajournalist.com/2011/10/24/wcu-athletic-director-let-go/

fc97
November 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM
i love how fans of teams that are never really down are telling western this is the wrong way to do it.

first, app fans have said a number of times that its better to lose in fbs than win in fcs. the competition is better, the payouts are better.

second, recruits don't want to lose but recruits do want to play on tv and against named opponents. this gives western recruits the chance for both.

third, this raises a ton of cash for the program. for all the criticism, this raises almost an entire year's budget in three weeks in what fans already know will be a rebuilding year again. when you lose and keep losing (and some of us have done that too), there gets to be a point that it doesn't matter. what's the point? you most likely would have lost anyway. then you make a winnable schedule the next year.

i dont see the downside. i followed elon through the 2002 to 2006 debacle and now this. its better to lose and have money than lose and talk about whatifs because money is short. i just dont see a downside to it all for them

LakesBison
November 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Dam. The AD was fired. I miss him already. He had the balls to play #1 NDSU !!!

fc97
November 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM
Dam. The AD was fired. I miss him already. He had the balls to play #1 NDSU !!!

lol, socon teams are used to playing #1 teams

Twentysix
November 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM
lol, socon teams are used to playing #1 teams

and losing! ;)

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
i love how fans of teams that are never really down are telling western this is the wrong way to do it.

first, app fans have said a number of times that its better to lose in fbs than win in fcs. the competition is better, the payouts are better.

second, recruits don't want to lose but recruits do want to play on tv and against named opponents. this gives western recruits the chance for both.

third, this raises a ton of cash for the program. for all the criticism, this raises almost an entire year's budget in three weeks in what fans already know will be a rebuilding year again. when you lose and keep losing (and some of us have done that too), there gets to be a point that it doesn't matter. what's the point? you most likely would have lost anyway. then you make a winnable schedule the next year.

i dont see the downside. i followed elon through the 2002 to 2006 debacle and now this. its better to lose and have money than lose and talk about whatifs because money is short. i just dont see a downside to it all for them
+1

Apphole
November 1st, 2012, 11:12 AM
and losing! ;)

Since GaSo and App always beat each other when the opponent is #1, I suppose you're right.

SoCon>MVFC and it will be until App and GaSo leave.

Apphole
November 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
As far as this thread goes:

I would pay money for us never to have to play these scrubs again.

gsu2583
November 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Since GaSo and App always beat each other when the opponent is #1, I suppose you're right.

SoCon>MVFC and it will be until App and GaSo leave.

Aaannnddd... Boom goes the dynamite...

Smitty
November 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM

What?!?! You get a win to add to your record every year that doesn't have a penalty like playing a D2 school would. If anything you should be thanking us....

xblehx

It will be funny when you start biting your tongue *when we start to win against you guys... Blah Blah Blah FBS Blah Blah Blah you haven't been invited yet and it doesn't look good right now...
*When meaning anytime between the next 200 years...

Apphole
November 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
What?!?! You get a win to add to your record every year that doesn't have a penalty like playing a D2 school would. If anything you should be thanking us....

xblehx

Eh. I'd like it more without the unrequited rivalry. For one week a year we are dragged down to your level as far as perception goes. Plus, you hurt our QB this year. Not cool.

totoinfl
November 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
The only reason I mention the injury bug is the reality that good FBS teams wanting to put themselves in an early season ranking position will pour it on a lesser opponent. Once you start getting your brain beat in too much, you start doing things without the discipline you should have and people get hurt. When the FBS teams do bring in their backups...they are looking for plays that make an impression...again it may not be nice, but its reality and again that is when you starting seeing injuries you have deal with. One game, maybe two...ok....three you are asking IMHO a disaster.

Mr. Peabody
November 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Great ... now Western Carolina can go 1-11 instead of 1-10 next year. What DII team have ya'll scheduled for your only win? Haven't ya'll realize to schedule cupcakes for non conference games? Oh wait, my bad ... you are the cupcake!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2012, 05:11 AM
How much was the WCU/NDSU buyout, anyone?

Dom Izzo's reporting this morning that the buyout is 150k. He also reports that Gene Taylor says there's still a contract.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/11/02/the-scheduling-situation-continues/

Smitty
November 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
Great ... now Western Carolina can go 1-11 instead of 1-10 next year. What DII team have ya'll scheduled for your only win? Haven't ya'll realize to schedule cupcakes for non conference games? Oh wait, my bad ... you are the cupcake!!!

Wow this is original! Cupcake?

Seriously? Making fun of Western losing is so 1985...

tourguide
November 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Dom Izzo's reporting this morning that the buyout is 150k. He also reports that Gene Taylor says there's still a contract.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/11/02/the-scheduling-situation-continues/
Catamounts are a scumbag organization, Gene will unfortunately be the last to know. A quote from wcu ad is what i wanna read

Smitty
November 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
Catamounts are a scumbag organization, Gene will unfortunately be the last to know. A quote from wcu ad is what i wanna read

Why offer a buyout option? I don't see the problem here...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM

Hopefully they let GT know soon so he can find a replacement. Should have made the buyout higher.

PAllen
November 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM
Sep 7 at Virginia Tech
Oct 12 at Auburn

GO CATS!

The real question is, if they have a 1-4 record on Oct. 13, will they get votes in the top 25 as they will have easily played the toughest schedule in FCS up to that point?

MarkyMark
November 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Hopefully they let GT know soon so he can find a replacement. Should have made the buyout higher.

I think the 150K buyout is very good for FCS. The WCU buyout is actually higher than the 125K payout.

Mr. Peabody
November 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ya'll boys in Whee Whee should have scheduled Guilford College, N.C. Wesleyan, Methodist College and Mars Hill for ya'll big test instead of Middle Tenn. State, Va. Tech and Auburn. Or, da Kittymounts just need to change football into a club sport.