PDA

View Full Version : Montana @ Oregon, anyone?

UMgrizzlies
May 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Last year saw some suprising I-AA upsets. Oregon went 5-6 last year, even with the cream puff PAC 10 conference. What does everone think about an upset in Eugene? There will certianly be a few Griz fans present. I apoligize if this topic has already been posted, Im new to AGS.

griz37
May 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM
I think it will be a lot of fun for Griz fans at the game & that we will be represented w/our crowd, but I am guessing by the 2nd quarter Oregon will start pulling away. Just my guess.

GogrizGo11
June 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Last year saw some suprising I-AA upsets. Oregon went 5-6 last year, even with the cream puff PAC 10 conference. What does everone think about an upset in Eugene? There will certianly be a few Griz fans present. I apoligize if this topic has already been posted, Im new to AGS.
we all know that oregon is no usc. with that said the griz have a strong chance of winning. if they stay confident and their defense is great they could take the first game of the season

GO GET EM GRIZ< GIVE US A "W"

DuckDuckGriz
June 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM
While in the student section shall I wear....

Griz t-shirt and Ducks hat

or

Ducks t-shirt Griz hat

or Griz t-shirt Griz hat :D

The Fan
June 20th, 2005, 08:47 PM

The Pac-10 is far from a cream puff. Oregon beat Michigan at home two years ago and they are going to be improved from last year's squad. The Griz don't have a strong chance at winning, they have an outside chance at not getting run out of the state.

eaglefan452
June 20th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Montana may be able to pull off the upset, but I am not betting on it. They will make it a nail biter, I say they keep it to a two touchdown or ten point game.

wkuhillhound
June 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM
The Pac-10 is far from a cream puff. Oregon beat Michigan at home two years ago and they are going to be improved from last year's squad. The Griz don't have a strong chance at winning, they have an outside chance at not getting run out of the state.

You are correct, but that was when they had Joey Harrington as QB. They don't have him anymore, far from it now. Everyone said the same about Western Kentucky at Kansas State guessed what happened. WKU was a touchdown catch away from making it a 7 pt deficit instead of 14. Its totally possible with today's elite I-AA programs to at least compete with the power conference teams of today. WKU knows that all to well. Hopefully, WKU can do the same thing to Auburn this year. :)

eaglefan452
June 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
You are correct, but that was when they had Joey Harrington as QB.

Actually, that was the year after Harrington left.

The Fan
June 20th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Eaglefan is correct. Oregon rotated Fife and Sophomore Kellen Clemmons (now a senior) at QB and the soft Duck D held Chris Perry to 26 yards rushing.

Beating Oregon is a bunch of irrational exuberance on behalf of the Griz faithful. The Ducks are not Kansas State of 2004 and anyone who thinks Montana will win this game has not followed Oregon very closely at all. They were extremely young last year with one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. Bellotti had been going through some personal issues and one of their top incoming freshmen was gunned down in the streets of Richmond the day before he was set to fly up to Eugene.

That said, Montana can hang with a lot of I-A teams would probably give Washington State a run for their money.

http://oregon.nmn.speedera.net/pics6/400/UK/UKGHZDUBTLANXXC.20030921032832.jpg

wkuhillhound
June 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the correction. I thought that he was still there at that time. :o

polsongrizz
June 20th, 2005, 11:43 PM
While in the student section shall I wear....

Griz t-shirt and Ducks hat

or

Ducks t-shirt Griz hat

or Griz t-shirt Griz hat :D
All griz gear Nick or I will have to beat you... :eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

grizchik
June 21st, 2005, 12:09 AM
I love our Griz, but they tend to start slow. I don't mean they haven't beaten some pretty good teams in the first few games of the year but the Griz typically have timing and penalty issues the first few games. I'm not sure we can beat a team as good as Oregon that early in the season unless we break that pattern.

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM
AH'LL BE WEARIN' MAH DUCKS HAT.....DUCKS T-SHIRT.......DUCKS WRIST BANDS.....DUCKS BIG BOY UNDIES.......OH YEAH....AN' AH'LL BE DRINKIN' SOME COLD DUCK......AS DUH GRIZZWALDS GO 0-1 TA START OFF DUH SEASON!.... :nod: ........BRAWK!

GO DUCKS! :hurray:

ChickenMan
June 21st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Like with most 1A's... if the Ducks play well the Griz will have little chance... but if Oregon doesn't take the Cubbies seriously or has a poor game... the Griz will have a real shot. Montana has to play well and get a few breaks (turnovers)... it's a long shot... but not impossible.

Umass74
June 21st, 2005, 06:58 AM
I have relatives in Springfield OR----next town over from Eugene. They are big ducks fans. Humble they are not.

A Montana win would be great! Go Grizz !

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
GRIZZWALDS....BIRDS OF UH FEATHERAH!.....:smiley_wi.........AWK!

DaGriz
June 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
They are big ducks fans. Humble they are not.

I'm sure you could say the same about some Griz fans. Some fans just have lots of passion when it comes to their team.

grizbeer
June 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
AS DUH GRIZZWALDS GO 0-1 TA START OFF DUH SEASON!.... :nod: ........BRAWK!

GO DUCKS! :hurray:

Are you projecting the Griz season opener against D-II FLC will be canceled, ot the Griz will lose that one as well?

BRAW/cough/cough/choke/gag/K

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
GOT ME DERE...GRIZZWALD!.....:o........................ER ...UH....UM..AWK!

MAKE DAT 1-1.....xlolx...............DOODLES....BEER BREATH!

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
I was reading this morning that Oregon is one of 2 Pac-10 teams that have a shot of upsetting USC this year. That & Montana breaking in some new players early, I think it's a success for Montana if they stay within 14 points of Oregon.

VictorG
June 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
I think it will be a success if we avoid major injuries!

Also, if I have to put a point spread into it, I'll say I'm hoping for within 21! It will be interesting to see if there's a point spread on this game. Not that any body here on AGS is interested in gambling in any way shape or form! :)

kats89
June 21st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Oregon has a long trip to Houston for a date with Univ of Houston in Reliant Stadium. However, it is on a Thursday and they will have 10 days to prepare.

Montana_Mojo
June 23rd, 2005, 02:56 AM
The Griz knocking off Oregon is wishful thinking. Montana has plenty of question marks heading into the season, most noteworthy the quarterback position and the defensive line.

However, I think Montana can stay in the game if they can run the ball effectively and slow the game tempo to their liking. They have a great offensive line coming in, and Lex Hilliard is going to have a huge year. This will be a game the Griz will have to grind out if they hope to win. I don't see how they could get involved in a shootout and stay close.

The Griz have had success against the Oregon schools over the last 15 years. They beat Oregon State twice, in 1990 and 1996, and took Oregon to the wire in a 35-30 loss in 1993. Those games don't carry any relevance in this matchup, but it shows that Montana can compete with those schools.

I'll be going to Eugene to cheer on the Griz, and I would imagine a couple thousand other Griz fans will make the trek.

Montana_Mojo
June 23rd, 2005, 03:01 AM
I remember back in 1992 and 1995, several thousand Griz fans ventured to Pullman, WA to see the Griz play Washington State. I was really impressed by that. Griz fans even had their own tailgating tent set up outside of the stadium. Montana didn't win either of those games, but the Griz fans were loud and proud in WSU's Martin Stadium.

Wherever the Griz go, they always have a following of fans that come to root them on. It has to lift the spirits of the players, knowing they're not alone in a hostile stadium of 54,000 when they go to Eugene this September. Griz fans flock with the team in big numbers, and they make their presence known.

Kaduce
June 23rd, 2005, 03:31 AM
we all know that oregon is no usc. with that said the griz have a strong chance of winning. if they stay confident and their defense is great they could take the first game of the season

GO GET EM GRIZ< GIVE US A "W"

How can you even say the Griz have a strong chance at winning? I'd be interested in hearing why you think they do...

Montana_Mojo
June 23rd, 2005, 04:10 AM
How can you even say the Griz have a strong chance at winning? I'd be interested in hearing why you think they do...

They don't. If the Griz were to win, this would have to be a game that they controlled in the trenches. I don't see that, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

This is a type of game the Griz will lose 38-14, and should be happy if they can keep the final score within 10 pts.

Montana_Mojo
June 23rd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Meanwhile, I would love to see EWU knock off San Jose State. I think that's a very winable game for you guys, and it would be nice for a Big Sky team to have a victory over a WAC team on its belt.

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Montana keeping this game within 2 TD's would be a surprise - just too many questions for Montana coming into the season and going up against an Oregon team that will be better than last year and is pretty tough to beat at Autzen.

Kaduce
June 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
Meanwhile, I would love to see EWU knock off San Jose State. I think that's a very winable game for you guys, and it would be nice for a Big Sky team to have a victory over a WAC team on its belt.

Yes, it would. I have been hearing that the new head man at SJSU is doing good things, but that is from homers. I might try to make it down for the game, anyone going? My site and SpartanThunder.com are doing a joint tailgate, so if you are going make sure to check that out.

MR. CHICKEN
June 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
DUH GRIZZWALDS...HAVE AS MUCH CHANCE...AS UH SNOWBALL......IN PALM SPRINGS!...xlolx......ERK-UH-ERK-UH-ROOOOOOO!

Ronbo
June 23rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
DUH GRIZZWALDS...HAVE AS MUCH CHANCE...AS UH SNOWBALL......IN PALM SPRINGS!...xlolx......ERK-UH-ERK-UH-ROOOOOOO!

Bout as much chance as dem Chickens had of making the Semis last year. :p

Green Cookie Monster
June 23rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
As much as I'd like to see my conference mate beat the Ducks. I say new players and atmosphere, this ain't no Vandal game, will prove to be too much.

Quackers 34 Griz 28

Green Cookie Monster
June 23rd, 2005, 10:42 PM

This could very well happen. Sparta is on helium right now with Tomey and the newfound adrenaline. The Eags bring a dose of reality fast.

Eags 28 Spartans 27

The Eagles play smash mouth, ball controlled offensive schemes. They can control the clock strategically and always have a back who can bulldoze all night for 5-6 yards.

Ronbo
June 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
I hope it's that close. I think more like 42-13 and it won't be unexpected. It's really a no lose situation for the Griz. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Everyone expects us to lose and we drop maybe 4-5 places in the polls. So I'm going to just enjoy the trip to Eugene, soak up the atmosphere, hope we give them a good game, and not get upset at all if we get thumped. :D

polsongrizz
June 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
Snowed there last yr during Christmas birdbreath... :D ;)

polsongrizz
June 23rd, 2005, 10:49 PM
I hope it's that close. I think more like 42-13 and it won't be unexpected. It's really a no lose situation for the Griz. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Everyone expects us to lose and we drop maybe 4-5 places in the polls. So I'm going to just enjoy the trip to Eugene, soak up the atmosphere, hope we give them a good game, and not get upset at all if we get thumped. :D
Can't imagine anyone would vote to drop us that many spots for losing this game.

Ronbo
June 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM
Can't imagine anyone would vote to drop us that many spots for losing this game.

I said maybe 4-5 spots. GSU got dropped that many I think last year after losing to Georgia.

TheValleyRaider
June 23rd, 2005, 11:10 PM

It depends on how you lose. If the Griz manage to keep it really close, they may not move at all, possibly up depending on how the rest of the top teams do that weekend. If they get run out of the game in the first quarter, and generally stink up the joint (turnovers etc.), they may get dropped more than a few (and no doubt the rest of the BSC will begin to salivate). If they take a beating as expected, but don't look god-awful, they'll drop around 2-3 spots, I'd say, again depending on how the other top I-AA teams do.

Of course, if they win, they'll probably be a hands-down #1, then get invited to replace Oregon in the Pac-10. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
June 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Snowed there last yr during Christmas birdbreath... :D ;)

GRIZZWALD.........DERE WILL BE NO SNOW......COME EARLY SEPTEMBER!......GOTTA LUV DUH GRIZZWALDS......BUT YA'LL ARE UH TAD PICKY!..........xsmoochx................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

polsongrizz
June 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
GRIZZWALD.........DERE WILL BE NO SNOW......COME EARLY SEPTEMBER!......GOTTA LUV DUH GRIZZWALDS......BUT YA'LL ARE UH TAD PICKY!..........xsmoochx................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!
Us, never... :rolleyes: :D

wkuhillhound
June 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I think that WKU only dropped 2 - 3 spots on the poll for losing to Kansas State 27 - 13. The game was MUCH closer that the score would indicate.

purduecrum
June 25th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Is this the game Oregon picked up when Indiana decided they would rather play a winnable game against Nichols St in Bloomington then to give Oregon a chance for revenge after losing to lowly IU last year.

I'm pulling for the Griz in this one. If Indiana can go in to Oregon in win last year, so can you!

I'd be for this one on an ESPN.