PDA

View Full Version : Can anything stop NAU's Big Sky title run?

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
With Cal Poly's and EWU loses yesterday, NAU is now top dog in the Big Sky. I'm betting the worst NAU could do is tie for the Big Sky conference Title. Anyone think NAU is going to trip up anywhere else except maybe Cal Poly? Also, Is a 8-3 NAU with loses to Cal Poly and Southern Utah a lock for the playoffs?

SCHOOL
BIG SKY
OVERALL

Northern Arizona (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=323)
5-0
7-1

Cal Poly (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=325)
5-1
7-1

Eastern Washington (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=315)
5-1
6-2

Montana State (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=318)
4-1
7-1

Sacramento State (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=319)
4-2
6-3

Southern Utah (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=327)
3-3
4-5

Portland State (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=320)
2-3
3-5

Montana (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=317)
2-4
4-5

North Dakota (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=326)
2-4
4-5

UC Davis (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=324)
2-4
3-6

Northern Colorado (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=322)
1-4
2-6

Weber State (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=316)
1-4
1-7

Idaho State (http://bigskyconf.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=321)
0-5
1-7

Remaining Schedule

11/3/2012
at Idaho State (http://www.isubengals.com/)
Pocatello, Idaho
4:05
Details

11/10/2012
Southern Utah (http://www.suutbirds.com/)
Flagstaff, Ariz.
2:05
Details

11/17/2012
Cal Poly (http://www.gopoly.com/)
Flagstaff, Ariz.
4:05
Details

asumike83
October 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
NAU is an absolute lock at 8-3. The only way they could get left out is if they end the season on a 3-game skid. Based on what we saw from Idaho State yesterday, that seems nearly impossible.

darell1976
October 28th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I say NAU beats ISU, SUU, and loses to Cal Poly. 7-1 in the BSC and 9-2 overall.

UNIFanSince1983
October 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
This is the same NAU team that just squeaked out of Greely with a 12-10 win right?

JSUBison
October 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
This is the same NAU team that just squeaked out of Greely with a 12-10 win right?

A real powerhouse, aren't they? I imagine the entire playoff field will be hoping to have NAU as a first game.

SDFS
October 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
This time of year - any road win is a good win. Based on what I have seen this year my ranking for the Big Sky:

1) MSU
2) EWU
3) Poly/NAU
4) Sac St/SUU/Montana/UND
5) PSU

NOTE: Sac St. is playing with a lot of energy right now due to the recent dealth of a teammate. Poly walked into a tough road game.

BisonBohl
October 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
With the elite defense played in the big sky I could see it happening....not.

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
It would be a bit questionable that a a team that plays 1 of the other top 4 teams in the conference (they miss EWU, MSU, and CSU-S) could win the conference outright. Oh well, I guess that's how it has to work in a 13 team conference.

MTfan4life
October 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
NAU is an absolute lock at 8-3. The only way they could get left out is if they end the season on a 3-game skid. Based on what we saw from Idaho State yesterday, that seems nearly impossible.

I disagree. NAU at 8-3 would mean they are 7-3 when discounting their D-II win. It's looking more and more like there's going to be about 16 or so teams in the discussion for at-large berths. I don't think a 7-3 team is anywhere near a lock considering all the potentially strong candidates that will likely be there, especially considering they'd be losing their last two games and both being home games. I think they need to win at least two to be comfortable.

Engineer86
October 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I disagree. NAU at 8-3 would mean they are 7-3 when discounting their D-II win. It's looking more and more like there's going to be about 16 or so teams in the discussion for at-large berths. I don't think a 7-3 team is anywhere near a lock considering all the potentially strong candidates that will likely be there, especially considering they'd be losing their last two games and both being home games. I think they need to win at least two to be comfortable.

+1

CopperCat
October 28th, 2012, 11:03 AM
With the elite defense played in the big sky I could see it happening....not.

MSU limited UND to 185 yards on offense a week after they hung 700 on Montana. If that isn't an elite defense then I don't know what is. This is the same defense that only gave up 200 yards to EWU, who has arguably one of the best WR corps in the FCS.

Those are just facts but feel free to continue with your mindless drivel.

BisonBohl
October 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
MSU limited UND to 185 yards on offense a week after they hung 700 on Montana. If that isn't an elite defense then I don't know what is. This is the same defense that only gave up 200 yards to EWU, who has arguably one of the best WR corps in the FCS.

Those are just facts but feel free to continue with your mindless drivel.

Congrats, one team in the big fluffy plays defense.

asumike83
October 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Didn't realize they played a DII. That does change the discussion quite a bit.

Ginsbach
October 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
They have to go through the buzzsaw that is Idaho State's defense.

Oh wait.

Idaho State's FCS worst defense in both scoring defense (54 points per game allowed) and yards allowed (561 yards per game allowed). My bad.

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
They have to go through the buzzsaw that is Idaho State's defense.

Oh wait.

Idaho State's FCS worst defense in both scoring defense (54 points per game allowed) and yards allowed (561 yards per game allowed). My bad.

Holy **** and I thought ODU had problems on defense. Football fans in Idaho should be thankful for Boise State.

MplsBison
October 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM
The only team that can stop NAU is of course Poly --- the ONLY team NAU actually has to play.

What an unbelievably lucky schedule. It will bite them in the butt when they lose to Poly and then get blown out in the first round.

slostang
October 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM
SUU is more than capable of beating NAU.

ThreadStopper
October 28th, 2012, 01:48 PM

+1

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM

So? The season the Griz almost went 15-0, we barely got out of Pocatello with a 12-10 win. Strange things happen, AGS.xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM

CopperCat
October 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM

+2 Just ask EWU about the tbirds.

THE HERD
October 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Cal poly will beat NAU for sure and a decent chance SUU gets em too. NAU will lose in first round most likely.

URMite
October 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Holy **** and I thought ODU had problems on defense. Football fans in Idaho should be thankful for Boise State.

So the ODU offense vs the Idaho defense would be hard to keep track of?

Lumberjackfanbefore2012
October 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Howerver, one of those wins was against an FBS team.

mtjack
October 28th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Can anything stop NAU's Big Sky title run? .....

NAU can. It's easy for an inexperienced team to play as the underdog but it's a different beast to play as the favorite. These next three games won't be easy for the Lumberjacks. Gotta win two of the next three to feel safe about a playoff spot. I don't see ISU being as competitive as Northern Colorado but you never know? SUU and Cal Poly are both talented and will have a lot to play for. I refuse to even think about potential seeding yet.

What's with all the Bison hate towards the NAU here... areyou NDSU fans mistaking Lumberjacks fans for the EWU or UM fans you have internet-battled in the past? That or is it a disdain for the Big Sky/ "Big Fluffy" thing? I may have to revoke my good will towards NDSU football gained while visiting relatives in Fargo.

kalm
October 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Can anything stop NAU's Big Sky title run? .....

NAU can. It's easy for an inexperienced team to play as the underdog but it's a different beast to play as the favorite. These next three games won't be easy for the Lumberjacks. Gotta win two of the next three to feel safe about a playoff spot. I don't see ISU being as competitive as Northern Colorado but you never know? SUU and Cal Poly are both talented and will have a lot to play for. I refuse to even think about potential seeding yet.

What's with all the Bison hate towards the NAU here... areyou NDSU fans mistaking Lumberjacks fans for the EWU or UM fans you have internet-battled in the past? That or is it a disdain for the Big Sky/ "Big Fluffy" thing? I may have to revoke my good will towards NDSU football gained while visiting relatives in Fargo.

Noticed that too. I think it's guilt by association. EWU, Bill Fette, cowbells, and Bill Fette, ruined their threepete.

They're still angry.

clawman
October 28th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Big Sky projection (guess)

NAU 5-0 conf 7-1 overall
@ Id St -w
vs SUU- w
vs CP- L
end of season 7-1 conference, 9-2 overall with one of those wins vs Fort Lewis

Cal Poly 5-1 conf 7-1 overall
@ EWU- L (non conf game)
vs Id St - w
@ NAU- w
end of season 7-1 conf 9-2 overall with one of those wins vs San Diego

EWU 5-1 conf 6-2 overall
vs CP- w (non conf game)
Vs UCD- w
@ Portland St -w
end of season 7-1 conf, 9-2 overall 2 out of conference wins no cupcakes, 1 Pac 12 loss

MSU 4-1 conf 7-1 overall
@ Sac St- L
vs Portland St- w
@ Montana - L
end of season 5-3 conf, 8-3 overall one win vs Chadron St

Sac St 4-2 conf, 6-3 overall
vs MSU- w
@ UDC- w
end of season 6-2 conf, 8-3 overall beat Colorado and No Col out of conference

So, in my opinion the Eagles record will be the most impressive given their out of conference games do not include any cupcakes and non conference wins against an FBS team and ranked FCS team. It would seem reasonable to expect a seed and hopefully #2 or #3.

ngineer
October 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I can't see NAU 'in' if they lose their last two games. Cal Poly will certainly be a threat, and SUU, as shown, can be a problem A loss to them and their in deep doo-doo.

Grizo406
October 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Substitute NAU with Montana, or Griz in the thread title, and I can remember when folks were askin' the same question about the Griz!

*****, piss, and ****...I miss those times!!xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

profisme
October 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
So the ODU offense vs the Idaho defense would be hard to keep track of?

That isn't necessarily true. I would liken what people have seen against the ISU defense to terminal velocity. At some point, you just can't score any more points against them in a game. :D

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 10:35 PM

NAU 5-0 conf 7-1 overall
@ Id St -w
vs SUU- w
vs CP- L
end of season 7-1 conference, 9-2 overall with one of those wins vs Fort Lewis

Cal Poly 5-1 conf 7-1 overall
@ EWU- L (non conf game)
vs Id St - w
@ NAU- w
end of season 7-1 conf 9-2 overall with one of those wins vs San Diego

EWU 5-1 conf 6-2 overall
vs CP- w (non conf game)
Vs UCD- w
@ Portland St -w
end of season 7-1 conf, 9-2 overall 2 out of conference wins no cupcakes, 1 Pac 12 loss

MSU 4-1 conf 7-1 overall
@ Sac St- L
vs Portland St- w
@ Montana - L

Sac St 4-2 conf, 6-3 overall
vs MSU- w
@ UDC- w
end of season 6-2 conf, 8-3 overall beat Colorado and No Col out of conference

So, in my opinion the Eagles record will be the most impressive given their out of conference games do not include any cupcakes and non conference wins against an FBS team and ranked FCS team. It would seem reasonable to expect a seed and hopefully #2 or #3.

In no particular order and assuming these teams win out, NDSU, GSU, ODU, EWU, Random Undefeated Non power conference member, 10-1 NAU could be possible seeds. I predict you would be #4 in the same position as Montana Last year.

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Substitute NAU with Montana, or Griz in the thread title, and I can remember when folks were askin' the same question about the Griz!

*****, piss, and ****...I miss those times!!xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Yeah but the thing is Montana earned their big sky titles. If NAU wins the title, I'm honestly not sure if they are a FCS title contender or the biggest pretender in the playoffs. It just odd for a team in a power conference to avoid so many playoff caliber teams.

CopperCat
October 29th, 2012, 12:27 AM

MSU 4-1 conf 7-1 overall
@ Sac St- L
vs Portland St- w
@ Montana - L

I think it perfectly reasonable that MSU doesn't lose another game. The team is as healthy as they have been all season, they just played the best game of the season to date, and they have everything to play for with conference titles still being in mix. Lot of MSU hate around here.

GoAgs72
October 29th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I have to put in a good word for NAU - I think they played UC Davis tougher than Cal Poly did.

FargoBison
October 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Noticed that too. I think it's guilt by association. EWU, Bill Fette, cowbells, and Bill Fette, ruined their threepete.

They're still angry.

It probably is guilt by association, association with UND.

slostang
October 29th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I have to put in a good word for NAU - I think they played UC Davis tougher than Cal Poly did.

No surprise there. You have a bad case of Mustang envy.

Hambone
October 29th, 2012, 02:41 AM
It probably is guilt by association, association with UND.

This. I know some NDSU folks called it the fluffy before UND, but once UND got in a lot feel the need to discredit and bash the conference any chance they can get :)

MTfan4life
October 29th, 2012, 02:56 AM
After two of the Big Sky giants of this season went down this weekend, I started to wonder when the last time was that a school other than Montana finished conference play undefeated. It's seemed like each season Montana stumbles, the other contender(s) never are able to fully make it through the conference unscathed. Northern Arizona is the last team with that undefeated opportunity.

In response to my wondering, the last time a non-U Montana Big Sky team went undefeated in conference play was Nevada in 1991. The last current member to do so was Northern Arizona in 1978. Crazy stuff.

nwFL Griz
October 29th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I think it perfectly reasonable that MSU doesn't lose another game. The team is as healthy as they have been all season, they just played the best game of the season to date, and they have everything to play for with conference titles still being in mix. Lot of MSU hate around here.

Agree. Not sure why claw thinks you lose both the Brawl and to Sac St. I think it is far more likely that y'all win out.

AaronRodgersJewBeard
October 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Agree. Not sure why claw thinks you lose both the Brawl and to Sac St. I think it is far more likely that y'all win out.

Whoah! You're here too? Small world in college sports I guess...at least one of my teams is doing good this year though. Go Cats Go!

nwFL Griz
October 30th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Whoah! You're here too? Small world in college sports I guess...at least one of my teams is doing good this year though. Go Cats Go!

I think you are stalking me. LOL

Yeah, your Cats are looking pretty good. Still hate em, but they are good.

GtFllsGriz
October 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
This new 13 team BSC has sure made things interesting. In spite of what some NDSU fans may think it is a very tough and balanced conference. Sac St, SUU and even MT, to name a few, are capable of beating any of the top five teams on any given Saturday. The Cats looked really good last weekend and if they can carry that type of play forward they will be very difficult to beat.

kalm
October 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yep, and I'd lump UND in there as well, they convincingly knocked off SAC on the road. It's not just 1-5 feasting on a weak bottom half, it's pretty damn good 1-8 and I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU finish strong.