PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League 2012 Week 8

bonarae
October 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM
xlolx Princeton's loss has opened the door for Harvard and Penn to enter the championship race again! There's also a good chance that there will be co-champions this year.

Yale at Brown
Dartmouth at Cornell - Cornell has made themselves relevant again.
Columbia at Harvard
Penn at Princeton - I'm not sure how this will turn out to be...

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Yale at Brown
Dartmouth at Cornell - Cornell has made themselves relevant again.
Columbia at Harvard
Penn at Princeton - I'm not sure how this will turn out to be...

I agree with your picks. All the home teams should win next week.

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I agree with your picks. All the home teams should win next week.

I disagree slightly. I'll go with Penn over Princeton.

RichH2
October 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'll go w ivytalk even tho I hope Tigers win. Still hate Penn.

ngineer
October 28th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Likewise. Cannot stand the Penn Quackers, but after Tigers stubbed their toe, I expect Bag O'shat Noli to get his troops up for their big rival.

Go Green
October 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I expect Bag O'shat Noli to get his troops up for their big rival.

Saying that Penn and Princeton are big rivals is like saying that UCLA and Arizona are big rivals.

bulldog10jw
October 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Saying that Penn and Princeton are big rivals is like saying that UCLA and Arizona are big rivals.

or Yale and Dartmouth ?

Go Green
October 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
or Yale and Dartmouth ?

From a football standpoint, you can make a case for Yale-Dartmouth. Pretty sure that Y & D have finished #1 and #2 (or tied) for the title more than any other two Ivy teams. True, it's been a while since it's happened last, but there is some good history there.

Not so with Penn-Princeton. Its a terrific basketball rivalry---one of the best in the nation. No question. But football-wise? There's very little there. While they are both storied programs, for whatever reason, they've never both been good in football at the same time. There was the 1993 Keith "Half of Penn couldn't get into Princeton" Elias game... and... that's about it.

Obviously, there are limits to how much you can call Dartmouth and Yale "rivals" because the Yale-Harvard rivalry will dwarf any Y-D claim. But I'd say that a Y-D football rivalry is as good--if not better--than a P-P rivalry.

bulldog10jw
October 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
From a football standpoint, you can make a case for Yale-Dartmouth. Pretty sure that Y & D have finished #1 and #2 (or tied) for the title more than any other two Ivy teams. True, it's been a while since it's happened last, but there is some good history there.

Not so with Penn-Princeton. Its a terrific basketball rivalry---one of the best in the nation. No question. But football-wise? There's very little there. While they are both storied programs, for whatever reason, they've never both been good in football at the same time. There was the 1993 Keith "Half of Penn couldn't get into Princeton" Elias game... and... that's about it.

Obviously, there are limits to how much you can call Dartmouth and Yale "rivals" because the Yale-Harvard rivalry will dwarf any Y-D claim. But I'd say that a Y-D football rivalry is as good--if not better--than a P-P rivalry.

Yale-Dartmouth was a great rivalry, especially in the '60's and '70's, and obviously even further back through history. I think it might equate to Princeton-Harvard. Not the principal rival for either team, but still a great historic rivalry.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Yale-Dartmouth was a great rivalry, especially in the '60's and '70's, and obviously even further back through history. I think it might equate to Princeton-Harvard. Not the principal rival for either team, but still a great historic rivalry.

Good analogy! And Harvard-Dartmouth has also been hard-fought through the years. In the 70s, when I was at H, we hated D worse than P'ton.;)

Go Green
October 31st, 2012, 08:47 PM
In the 70s, when I was at H, we hated D worse than P'ton.;)

The guess here is that--after Yale, of course--most Harvard students today that follow football hate Penn the most.

And at Penn, the Harvard game gets circled first on the football schedule.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
The guess here is that--after Yale, of course--most Harvard students today that follow football hate Penn the most.

And at Penn, the Harvard game gets circled first on the football schedule.

The Harvard band used to rag Penn unmercifully with cries of "go Penn State!" and "hey, Penn, what good is an Ivy League title if you're not in the Ivy League?" Among the more printable chants. And the Penn homecoming king and queen, Ling-Hua Goldberg and Izzy Chang.

Go Green
November 1st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Back to the original topic-

Weather in Ithaca for Saturday is supposed to be lousy. If that affects the Cornell passing game, they really don't have much else going for them. If its a miserable day, Dartmouth should win.

Harvard should romp Columbia
Brown should romp Yale

I would have thought at the beginning of the season that Penn-Princeton would be a slaughter. But Penn hasn't been as good and Princeton has been much better than expectations. Still, I think Penn will have enough to win.

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Weather in Ithaca for Saturday is supposed to be lousy. If that affects the Cornell passing game, they really don't have much else going for them. If its a miserable day, Dartmouth should win.

Harvard should romp Columbia
Brown should romp Yale

I would have thought at the beginning of the season that Penn-Princeton would be a slaughter. But Penn hasn't been as good and Princeton has been much better than expectations. Still, I think Penn will have enough to win.

A "ROMP" would surprise me. When has Brown looked good this year?

Go Green
November 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM
When has Brown looked good this year?

They've looked good enough against Holy Cross, Rhode Island, Georgetown, and Cornell (all victories).

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
They've looked good enough against Holy Cross, Rhode Island, Georgetown, and Cornell (all victories).

There is a difference between winning and looking good. They looked good once. Georgetown. The looked OK against URI and Cornell, but nothing special.

And didn't they lose their best RB. Not that Yale is good, but they have been playing mostly close games since Colgate.

We'll see, I guess.

CFBfan
November 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
bulldog i've been away, what ever happened with your frosh rb that transfered from canada??

Go Green
November 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
bulldog i've been away, what ever happened with your frosh rb that transfered from canada??

His eligibility issues were resolved (although he was deemed a sophomore, not a freshman) by the NCAA.

He's leading the league in rushing. Even played wildcat QB because of injuries for Yale last weekend against Columbia.

He looks like the real deal.

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/11/01/sports/doc5091fe91c5ac1050861418.txt

Go Green
November 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM

Bingo. Dartmouth 44, Cornell 28.

:Dxthumbsupxxlolx

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Bingo. Dartmouth 44, Cornell 28.

:Dxthumbsupxxlolx

Good call.

bulldog10jw
November 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Back to earth for Princeton. 2 losses in a row and no title like many were predicting (not me) after the big Harvard win.

And who would have thought, after losing to Yale of all teams, that Penn would control their own destiny.

Go...gate
November 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Tough loss in Princeton today.

bonarae
November 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
FINALS:
Brown 20, Yale 0
Dartmouth 44, Cornell 28
Harvard 69, Columbia 0
Penn 28, Princeton 21

Two weeks left... Only Penn and Harvard are in the race... to be continued in next week's thread....

Go Green
November 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=bonarae;1883088]FINALS:
Only Penn and Harvard are in the race... QUOTE]

They are the only teams that control their destinies.

But Dartmouth or Princeton could claim a share if things shake out the right way.