PDA

View Full Version : Southland Nov. 3- Predictions and Playoffs?

BEAR
October 27th, 2012, 10:34 PM
This weeks results: Oct. 27

McNeese 35 SFA 24
UCA 34 SELA 14
Sam 56 Lamar 7
NWST 27 Nich. 26

Standings:

UCA 5-1
Sam 4-1
SELA 3-1
SFA 2-2
NWST 2-2
McNeese 2-3
Nicholls 0-4
Lamar 0-4

Next week: Nov. 3rd

Northwestern St. at UCA
McNeese at Nicholls
Lamar at SFA
SELA at Sam Houston

UCA will finish the SLC season at home taking on NWST for the outright( is it?) conference championship. Bye, then Eastern Illinois at home.

Sam gets SELA at home, goes to NWST, then at Texas A&M

SFA gets Lamar at home, at SELA, NWST at home

McNeese at Nicholls, Lamar at home

SELA at Sam, SFA at home, at Nicholls.

Playoff predictions?

Next week NWST can play playoff spoiler for UCA OR UCA can win the conference title OUTRIGHT (is it?) and get the Autobid. Homecoming for UCA then they get a week off before playing Eastern Illinois. Top ten team? Who knows.

Sam- IF UCA wins next week then Sam SHOULD and get an at large with a win over SELA at home. Sam is just playing too strong! But still NWST to go and a noncounting Texas A&M.

OPINIONS?

P.S. Thank you Cowboys! xbowx

Bear84
October 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM
If UCA and Sam end up tied, they will be co-champs. UCA gets the tie breaker for the AQ.

If Sam wins their remaining FCS games, they are a lock for an at-large.

BEAR
October 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Got it...thanks!

TheRevSFA
October 27th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Sam is a top 10 team with their only quality win vs SFA. Pretty sad they keep getting voted top 10 riding last seasons coat tails

Samalum'10
October 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Sam is a top 10 team with their only quality win vs SFA. Pretty sad they keep getting voted top 10 riding last seasons coat tails
Have fun watching the playoffs from the couch

BEAR
October 28th, 2012, 12:18 AM
http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif

Sammy94
October 28th, 2012, 05:46 AM
McNeese isn't a quality win Rev? How bad has SFA fallen if they can't beat a weak team like McNeese? Sam isn't riding last year, because it's the same team in 2012 minus a OC. Poor Jacks are staying home so I understand the Orange envy.

BEAR
October 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm just glad UCA finally has a chance at that trophy...after going 6-1 for three out of the 5 seasons in the SLC. xlolx

Alright....make your predictions...xlolx

Northwestern St. at UCA
McNeese at Nicholls
Lamar at SFA
SELA at Sam Houston

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I surprised SFA choked this early. Sam Houston and UCA now controls their playoff destiny.

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
McNeese isn't a quality win Rev? How bad has SFA fallen if they can't beat a weak team like McNeese? Sam isn't riding last year, because it's the same team in 2012 minus a OC. Poor Jacks are staying home so I understand the Orange envy.

True mcneese is quality as well. But sans SFA and the pokes what has Sam done to be a top 10 team? Couldn't beat UCA, and only non conference wins were UIW and PVAM. UCA should be ranked higher than you

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Have fun watching the playoffs from the couch

You will too since Sam won't get a seed. Maybe one home game.

Sammy94
October 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
UCA lost to a unranked SFA team so not sure about that. Its fine though, Sam heard the same thing last year and made it pretty far. I guess Sam should look somewhere else to play since the SLC is so weak.

Samalum'10
October 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
You will too since Sam won't get a seed. Maybe one home game.
Weak sauce

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
UCA lost to a unranked SFA team so not sure about that. Its fine though, Sam heard the same thing last year and made it pretty far. I guess Sam should look somewhere else to play since the SLC is so weak.

Actually last year I picked Sam to win it all, but you guys aren't the same team.

Please tell me your other quality wins besides sfa and mcneese. Lamar? Nicholls?

Put it this way, what has Sam done to deserve a top 10 ranking this season

ITmonarch10
October 28th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Actually last year I picked Sam to win it all, but you guys aren't the same team.

Please tell me your other quality wins besides sfa and mcneese. Lamar? Nicholls?

Put it this way, what has Sam done to deserve a top 10 ranking this season

Sam Houston should probably be in the 10-20 range rather than the top 10. However, southland teams need to make better OOC schedules to better judge the strength of your conference teams. Why does your conference like doing 1 FBS team 1 D2 and 1 FCS team so much?

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sam Houston should probably be in the 10-20 range rather than the top 10. However, southland teams need to make better OOC schedules to better judge the strength of your conference teams. Why does your conference like doing 1 FBS team 1 D2 and 1 FCS team so much?

I wish we would play some SoCon or CAA teams

At least next year we have two big sky teams and Texas tech

Btw bear I didn't refer to the stripes in my call in

Sammy94
October 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Was SFA a quality win? Just wondering why a victory over a 3-5 SFA team is a quality win, but a win over a 3-6 Lamar win isn't? Is it because SFA got lucky with a monsoon victory over UCA on AGS?

TheRevSFA
October 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Was SFA a quality win? Just wondering why a victory over a 3-5 SFA team is a quality win, but a win over a 3-6 Lamar win isn't? Is it because SFA got lucky with a monsoon victory over UCA on AGS?

You completely ignored my question: what has Sam done this year to deserve a top 10 spot? Defend your team

KATS_21
October 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
True mcneese is quality as well. But sans SFA and the pokes what has Sam done to be a top 10 team? Couldn't beat UCA, and only non conference wins were UIW and PVAM. UCA should be ranked higher than you

20 wins and 3 losses in the past 2 years.

Sammy94
October 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I don't need to defend this team. The polls are done, especially the coaches poll based on who people/coaches think are the top teams in FCS, not necessarily the quality of the win/loss record. Sam is high in polls because most people think they are a top 10 team in the FCS. If you need to know why, it is probably because they returned almost the entire team of last year's team that proved they were the 2nd best team in 2011. For 2012, Sam hasn't gave many a reason why they shouldn't be a top 10 team.

Sammy94
October 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Northwestern St. at UCA
McNeese at Nicholls
Lamar at SFA
SELA at Sam Houston

UCA doesn't lose on the stripes. UCA wins.
Nicholls doesn't win anywhere. McNeese wins.
SFA comes back home with playoff hopes dashed to find the opponent is Lamar. SFA wins.
Is SELA still in the race for the SLC Champs? Not after this week. Sam wins.

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Northwestern St. at UCA
McNeese at Nicholls
Lamar at SFA
SELA at Sam Houston

UCA doesn't lose on the stripes. UCA wins.
Nicholls doesn't win anywhere. McNeese wins.
SFA comes back home with playoff hopes dashed to find the opponent is Lamar. SFA wins.
Is SELA still in the race for the SLC Champs? Not after this week. Sam wins.

I'm quoting yours because I agree spot on with your assessment

BEAR
October 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Da*mn an actual prediction. 'bout time. xlolx

BEAR
October 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Btw bear I didn't refer to the stripes in my call in

Thanks..........again. xlolx

I was watching replays of past years games on a local channel here and man I miss that green field. xlolx Eventually the Bears are going to get beat on it..but possibly going 10-0 on it is awesome so far. Hope there's a movement toward getting the green back though. Just my opinion and I know others like the stripes.

McNeese75
October 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Seriously? So what you are saying is the SLC should schedule cupcakes like ODU had this year for the first three games.

McNeese75
October 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I'm quoting yours because I agree spot on with your assessment

Ditto

katstrapper
October 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Here we go with the "quality win" talk again.

BEAR
October 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561938_10151060933181580_959699680_n.jpg

kingkat99
October 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
You completely ignored my question: what has Sam done this year to deserve a top 10 spot? Defend your team

KAT O

#8 Total Offense
#6 Rush Offense
#2 Scoring Offense
#4 Sacks Allowed
#12 Time of Possession

Kat D

#8 Total Defense
#4 Rush Defense
#13 Scoring Defense
#11 Sacks
#5 3rd Down Defense

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
KAT O

#8 Total Offense
#6 Rush Offense
#2 Scoring Offense
#4 Sacks Allowed
#12 Time of Possession

Kat D

#8 Total Defense
#4 Rush Defense
#13 Scoring Defense
#11 Sacks
#5 3rd Down Defense

Numbers don't lie

What sucks for Sam is to have to play A&M right before playoffs.

Sammy94
October 29th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I couldn't think of a better team to face right before the playoffs. As long as the Kats come out healthy, the experience of lining up against a ranked FBS team is great to get this team ready for the playoffs. Do you think the outcome of this game will hurt the chances of the Kats making the playoffs? Really?

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I couldn't think of a better team to face right before the playoffs. As long as the Kats come out healthy, the experience of lining up against a ranked FBS team is great to get this team ready for the playoffs. Do you think the outcome of this game will hurt the chances of the Kats making the playoffs? Really?

Did I say that?

Look at it this way, for team morale, would you rather go into the playoffs on a win, or on the bad side of an *** kicking in Kyle Field?

Sam's locked themselves into the playoffs unless they step on their own jock against SELA or NW State which probably won't happen.

In fact, I hope you make the playoffs and get a home game. You have a debt to square

KATS_21
October 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Did I say that?

Look at it this way, for team morale, would you rather go into the playoffs on a win, or on the bad side of an *** kicking in Kyle Field?

Sam's locked themselves into the playoffs unless they step on their own jock against SELA or NW State which probably won't happen.

In fact, I hope you make the playoffs and get a home game. You have a debt to square

GSU did it last year playing Alabama as their season finale. They did pretty well up till that last game at NDSU.

Sammy94
October 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM
You have a debt to square

Right.

A blow out win over some scrub team or play higher level talent to prepare for the playoffs? Not to be ugly, but Sam has many blow out wins lately and another wouldn't do much for team morale. I'd rather them lose a game so they understand they aren't unbeatable. Sure they could have scheduled a Tx State(which it was until they pulled out) or a weaker FBS or FCS team but how bad would a loss to a team like UTSA or Texas State be for morale? How bad would it be to a team like UCA if they lose to EIU in their last game? The loss at UCA lit a fire in this Sam team that needed to be done. Losses can help good teams that haven't lost many more than another win. The thing I like about this year is that Sam has basically been in a playoff race just to get to the playoffs. Sam understands the lose one and done concept and has been playing with that mentality since week 4.

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Right.

A blow out win over some scrub team or play higher level talent to prepare for the playoffs? Not to be ugly, but Sam has many blow out wins lately and another wouldn't do much for team morale. I'd rather them lose a game so they understand they aren't unbeatable. Sure they could have scheduled a Tx State(which it was until they pulled out) or a weaker FBS or FCS team but how bad would a loss to a team like UTSA or Texas State be for morale? How bad would it be to a team like UCA if they lose to EIU in their last game? The loss at UCA lit a fire in this Sam team that needed to be done. Losses can help good teams that haven't lost many more than another win. The thing I like about this year is that Sam has basically been in a playoff race just to get to the playoffs. Sam understands the lose one and done concept and has been playing with that mentality since week 4.

Fair enough.

I still want my beer

Sammy94
October 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Fair enough.

I still want my beer

LOL ok, since its been a while I may bring you 2 6pk. Shiner family still?

TheRevSFA
October 29th, 2012, 02:33 PM
LOL ok, since its been a while I may bring you 2 6pk. Shiner family still?

Absolutely, but consider yourself having some of it.

LIONFAN07
October 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
The way Sam has played since they lost to UCA is impressive. I believe they deserve a top 10 ranking. If UCA and Sam are the two schools in the playoffs from Southland there is no doubt to me that SAM will go further than UCA. Nothing against the Bears they are a good football team as well. But if SAM played UCA now and both teams played their best SAM would win by 10. But credit UCA they won the game when it counted and if they beat NWST they deserve the autobid.

UCABEARS75
November 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
The way Sam has played since they lost to UCA is impressive. I believe they deserve a top 10 ranking. If UCA and Sam are the two schools in the playoffs from Southland there is no doubt to me that SAM will go further than UCA. Nothing against the Bears they are a good football team as well. But if SAM played UCA now and both teams played their best SAM would win by 10. But credit UCA they won the game when it counted and if they beat NWST they deserve the autobid.

Agree, well said.

McNeese72
November 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Agree, well said.

And good luck to both of you guys in the playoffs.

Doc

P.S. If we win our last 3 games and finish 8-3, I think we are going to seriously regret our two one point conference losses. xbawlingx

Sam_Kats
November 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Yep - UCA deserved to beat us that day. If we line up another 9 times, I think Sam wins 7 of them. Bears are a good football team. Hope both do well in the playoffs & get a chance to host.