PDA

View Full Version : Sav St Starting Over Again with New Coach

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Theo Lemon has his work cut out for him. We're seeing successful transitions (atleast it looks that way) for UCA and WSSU. The question is, can Savannah St turn around their problems with the NCAA, improve their athletic department as a whole and possibly find a conference to call it's home? It all starts with turning around this football program. Good luck, Theo!

Savannah State starting over again with new coach
by The Associated Press

Theo Lemon had two simple messages for his new Savannah State team: ``No excuses'' and ``Don't look back.''

Well, that's a start. Now comes the tough part.

Lemon is taking over a troubled program coming off an 0-11 season and recently hit with a three-year NCAA probation. The Tigers have only three wins in four seasons since moving to I-AA from Division II.

As the NCAA penalties were handed down, Lemon called off spring practice but vowed to make major changes.

``We're starting fresh,'' he said. ``It's a whole new beginning, a new opportunity for the guys who didn't get a chance to play last year for whatever reason. It's an opportunity for everybody.''

http://www.accessnorthga.com/sports/newfullstory.asp?ID=105821

Eaglegus2
August 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Coach Lemon has a difficult job ahead of him. If he can win at least 3 games this year, you will see the SSU fans get behind the team.

SSU needs an influx of funds to help with their financial shortcomings.

slostang
August 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I wish them the best. Hopefully this is the start of better things to come. Savanah State will be traveling to California this year to take on Cal Poly.

ThreadStopper
August 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I wish them the best. Hopefully this is the start of better things to come. Savanah State will be traveling to California this year to take on Cal Poly.

Yikes! That will be a long day!

BaylorTitan
August 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Will SSU travel by bus?

slostang
August 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Will SSU travel by bus?
Poly is playing for the flight. I would have rather seen a team from the Southland Conference, but I do not think we had any takers. Maybe next season.

Mr. C
August 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
The Song Remains The Same for the poor Tigers.

chattanoogamocs
August 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM
First thing I thought when I saw the headline was, shouldn't the article be entitled:

Savannah State Starts Over Again, Again, Again.

I can't imagine how tough it must be to be an athlete, alum, or "fan" of SSU...

Besides the football teams loss to Central State of Ohio, the men's basketball team lost at home to Webber International and Allen University.

The football team will be travelling to Johnson C. Smith to play their homecoming (apparently JCS wanted an easy homecoming win). :rotateh:

But God bless 'em...the SSU webpage has their 2006 schedule up and it includes the dates for all 4 rounds of the playoffs! :eek:

Hope springs eternal at SSU, 'cause there is no where to go but up! :thumbsup:

GaSouthern
August 7th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I am going to their first game, my brother in law is their new d'backs coach. He just turned around a highschool team (he was an assistant) from a 0-11 team to second in the state in two years. So just maybe we will see SSU get a playoff look in two years? HEY, stranger things have happend... remember, the Sox won it all!

R.A.
August 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
-Savannah State does have a good quarterback. They have stong coaches, and a good on field leader. I think one or two wins will constitute as a good season for them.

Sept. 2 @ Benedict College
Palmetto Capital City Classic Columbia, S.C.
Williams-Brice Stadium 5:00 p.m.

Sept. 9 @ Bethune-Cookman College Daytona Beach, Fla.
Municipal Stadium 4:00 p.m.
Sept.16 OPEN

Sept. 23 Liberty University*
Joe Turner Classic Savannah, Ga.
Ted Wright Stadium 6:00 p.m.

Sept. 30 TBA TBA TBA

Oct. 7 Charleston Southern Univ.*
Church and Community Savannah, Ga.
Ted Wright Stadium 6:00 p.m.

Oct. 14 Morehouse College
14th CSRA Classic Augusta, Ga.
Lumpkin Rd Stadium 2:00 p.m.

Oct. 21 Winston Salem State University*
"Homecoming" Savannah, Ga.
Ted Wright Stadium 2:00 p.m.

Oct. 28 @ Johnson C. Smith Univ. Charlotte, N.C.
Irwin Belk Complex 1:00 p.m.

Nov. 4 Coastal Carolina University Conway, S.C.
Brooks Stadium 12:30 p.m.

Nov. 11 Edward Waters College* Savannah, Ga. 2:00 p.m.

Nov.18 California Polytechnic St. Univ. San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Mustang Stadium 1:00 p.m.
(Pacific)

chattanoogamocs
August 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM
R.A., you left out the last 4 dates on their schedule... ;)

Nov.25 Div I-AA, First Round TBD TBD
Dec.2 Div I-AA, Quarterfinals TBD TBD
Dec. 8/9 Div I-AA, Semifinals TBD TBD
Dec.15 Div I-AA, Championship TBA TBD

Of course, the place of the Championship game is not TBD...it is Chattanooga, Tennessee!

That would be the...:thumbsup: Division I Football Championship :thumbsup:

(2006 will be celebrating its 10th year at Finley Stadium)