PDA

View Full Version : Brown at Penn, Mr. C's Official Game Thread

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I'm back for more Ivy League football after last week's Harvard-Princeton instant classic. Today I'm at historic Franklin Field for a battle of survival between Penn and Brown teams that were expected to compete for the league title, but are both needing wins to stay afloat.

Penn's battered ranks — beaten up by games against CAA foes Villanova and William & Mary — were upset by a rebuilding Yale squad, 27-13, last week at the Yale Bowl. The Quakers are still alive for the Ivy League title at 2-4 overall and 2-1 among the Ancient Eight, but there have been plenty of injuries along the way and a second straight Ivy League loss would finish off reasonable championship hopes.

Brown may already be done with a 1-2 record in league and an overall mark of 4-2. Particularly surprising was when the Bears' normally potent offense was shut out by Princeton, 19-0, two weeks ago. It was the first shutout tossed against Brown since 1996 — an Ivy League-record 162 consecutive games.

Injuries have also been hard on the Bears.

This is the 81st lifetime meeting between Ivy League opponents (Penn leads 39-9-1 at Franklin Field and 56-22-2 overall) that have played an entertaining series over the past decade, with five wins each. Last year, Brown won a game dominated by a snowstorm that ground offenses virtually to a halt.

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Mr. C

39 +9 +1 does not equal 80

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Thoughts of most Philadelphians are not on the forlorn Eagles, Philly Cheese Steaks, or even the locked-out, strike-ridden Philadelphia Flyers on a cloudy and cool Saturday afternoon at historic Franklin Field.

Penn and Brown are more of a diversion for a Philadelphia crowd that is lukewarm on college football, even in the best of times.

It may be homecoming here in University City, but most people are keeping an eye to the sky and awaiting Hurricane Sandy, with the potential wind and snow of another October perfect storm

bulldog10jw
October 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thoughts of most Philadelphians are not on the forlorn Eagles, Philly Cheese Steaks, or even the locked-out, strike-ridden Philadelphia Flyers on a cloudy and cool Saturday afternoon at historic Franklin Field.

Penn and Brown are more of a diversion for a Philadelphia crowd that is lukewarm on college football, even in the best of times.

It may be homecoming here in University City, but most people are keeping an eye to the sky and awaiting Hurricane Sandy, with the potential wind and snow of another October perfect storm

My sister lives along the CT coast. I'm worried about what track the storm may take.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mr. C

39 +9 +1 does not equal 80

Leave it to one of you Ivy League guys to bug me about my math skills. That was a typo. Here is the correct figure:

Penn leads 39-9-1 at Franklin Field and 56-22-2 overall.

For the record, and this will probably shock an Ivy League alum, Mr. C managed to earn his sheepskin without taking a single math class. I haven't had math since my high school Algebra class over 40 years ago as a sophomore.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
My sister lives along the CT coast. I'm worried about what track the storm may take.

I'm headed to Boone sometime this weekend to make sure our house up in the mountains is okay. They are forecasting the biggest snowstorm in a century up there, which considering we've endured 20, 30 and 40-inch storms in the past 20 years, is pretty significant.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
In a snail-paced game dominated by punts on the first couple of possessions each for the two teams, Brown just broke through with an interception on a deflected pass at the Penn 24 and finally got a first down at the Quaker 13.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Midway through the first period, Brown has a 2nd and 12 from the Penn 15 after Penn (imagine this) stuffed a running game. The Quaker defense is as gritty as ever. Time out No. 1 for Brown after the play clock almost runs out.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Penn's defense does it again. Brandon Copeland makes a great play, collapsing the pocket on Brown QB Patrick Donnelly and deflecting a late dump-off pass to a back that is intercepted on a diving effort by nose guard Taylor Brown.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
And the Quaker offense wakes up and get a first down at the Penn 40.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
The jump start on offense didn't last long as Penn had to punt again, but the Quakers downed the soaring kick at the Brown 3 as the Bear returnman, All-American A.J. Cruz ran for cover in a quite funny moment. Brown just had to punt again and Penn has the ball again, this time in Brown territory. Cruz got smacked quite hard on an earlier return.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Jeff Jack busts free for a first down on the Brown 39, but the injuries continue to mount with center Chris Bush hurting a knee and being helped off on the play.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Both teams have lost their featured running backs for the season, Brandon Colavita for Penn and Mark Kachmer of Brown. Colavita has a broken bone in his foot. Kachmer has an unspecified injury.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:33 PM
And then there are the self-inflicted wounds of the execution kind. Penn got a holding penalty to move the ball back near midfield.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
A nicely lofted pass from Andrew Holland to Connor Scott is caught with a leap at the Brown 27, but then the Quakers get a false start penalty and an incomplete pass. 2nd and 15 at the 32.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Scott gets to the 28 on a hitch pass, but Holland is sacked on 3rd and 11. It is 4th down at the 32 and Scott Lopano punts into the end zone. That's a net 12 yards on an ill-advised punt. Where was Connor Loftus for what would have been a 49-yard field goal attempt?

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
It would have been into a swirling wind, but you have to wonder about the confidence in the Quaker kicking game. Ultra-conservative decision-making from coach Al Bagnoli, but that's what has gotten him all those wins.

Yale 7, Columbia 5 in another Ivy League score. Lou Gehrig must have hit a dinger for the Lions to get them back in the game. He was the all-time Grand Slam leader at one time.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
At the end of a snooze-fest of a first quarter, it is Penn 0, Brown 0.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Brown gets a first down twice on one play. Once on a defensive holding call and once on a tipped completion. The Bears have the ball at their own 41 and now there is a measurement for another first down at the 44 after a Wildcat run. First down. What excitement.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Another holding call on Brown and its back to full-speed reverse for the offenses. I can see now how Princeton (no offense of another kind to the Tigers) shut out the Bears.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM
WR screen to Tellef Lundeval moves the ball to the Penn 49, but Mike Laning breaks up a pass for the Quakers on 3rd and 3. Punt time again for the Bears.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the progressive rock group Kansas, but I've heard better versions of Carry On My Wayward Son than the cover being played by the Penn band. Sharpen up on those horns, please. Makes me wish I had some of my synths and a Marshall stack to take those dudes on.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
One other note on the weather forecast. Mr. C is scheduled for officiating a volleyball match at Lynchburg College on Tuesday. I wonder if I'll be able to get there?

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The best part of this game thus far has been the punting of Penn's Lopano (even with that one touchback for 12 net yards) and the Quaker coverage team. That has been excellent. Brown starts again at the Bear 33 with 9:37 left in the first half.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM

I'm not feeling real comfortable about this storm either in Philly, or Boone.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Stop the presses, it's another first down for Brown at the Bear 43.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Brown is using the passing game to get going and picks up another first down at the Penn 38, but then the Bears have to burn their second time out of the half because they couldn't get the snap off in time. 8 minutes left in the half. Still Nil-Nil, Is this Seria A, or FCS?

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
A deep pass from Donnelly sails long. This senior isn't as good as some of the long line of fine QBs the Bears have had in the past. Brown runs to the 30, but a pass is stopped short of the first down. 4th and 2 from the 30.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Great coverage as Donnelly is forced to scramble. TE Alex Harris finally breaks open, but Donnelly throws behind Harris and he drops the pass. To make things worse for Brown, there was holding on the OL on the play. Penn ball at the Quaker 30.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
This game is my payback for the excitement I had last week at Princeton.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ty Taylor with a first-down catch at the Penn 46.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Another penalty flag is down in this execution nightmare. Holding on Penn's Ryan O'Malley.

As John McKay would say when asked about the execution of his team:

"I'm all for it."

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The awesome Connor Scott with another fine catch. 2md and 1 for Penn and QB Billy Ragone races out of the backfield for a first down at the Brown 40. 3 minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Finally a precision play, Ragone with a nice play fake and Scott at the other end on an out pattern and catch at the 22.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
And then Scott splits the seem and grabs a well-placed pass from Ragone in the end zone for a 7-0 Penn lead.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:05 PM
There is 2:37 left in the first half for Brown to try and strike back, but that might be asking for a lot.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
With the way this game is going as far as speed, Mr. C might be able to catch all of the third quarter before racing down the Main Line to Villanova for the Vu-Towson game at 3:30 p.m. Can't miss the toast toss.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Another penalty, this one for blocking in the back on Brown on the kick return. The Bears start at their own 9.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Time Out No. 1 for Penn, which wants the ball again with a 3rd and 2 for Brown and 1:43 left in the second quarter. Key play for the Bears right here.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Daniel Ritt with the pass break up for Penn to force a punt, but a strong punt through the wind pins Penn down at the 28. 1:27 left till we get to listen to two more of those Ivy League bands.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Emory Polley makes a great break on a pass in the flat to Jeff Jack and a big collision results. Without it, Polley might have been gone for a pick six.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Ragone is running for nothing (makes me think of Dire Straights "Money For Nothing") and Jack nets little on a draw play. With 29 seconds left, Penn will punt and the half is pretty much over.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Cruz collides with a defender as the Lopano punt is caught in the wind. 15 yards on Penn and Brown gets the ball at the Quaker 49 with 19 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Donnelly on the run looks like he is trying to throw the ball away, but it is complete near the sideline at the Penn 29. A spike leaves 8 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Donnelly on the run under heavy pressure from Yacoobi and the pass is incomplete.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
On the final play of the first half, Alexander Norocea pierces the wind for a 46-yard field goal.

Penn 7, Brown 3 at the half.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
The halftime show is a 330-year history of Philadelphia, through the eyes of the Penn band. Ouch. Considering the Ivy League pursues excellence in every other area, why are these bands allowed to be so bad?

And now for the fashion commentary part of our program. The smart Penn and Brown men seem to be wearing Thrift-Store Chic today. I've never seen so many BAD sports jackets outside of a Goodwill Store. Maybe some of these fellows used to be band members?

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM
The second half is underway. Brown starts at the 17 and immediately gets a false start.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Just as Brown passes for a first down, it is wiped out by a holding penalty. Coach Phil Estes has to be going nuts with this stuff.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
RB Cody Taulbee finds room in the middle against the zone for a big catch and run to the Brown 37 for a first down, but the next two plays send the Bears backwards again. Yacoobi is having a great game at LB for Penn.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
And we're back to the punting game again. Penn takes over at its 20 for the first Quaker drive of the second half.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Penn goes nowhere on its first drive and punts again.

Penn 7, Brown 3 with 9:26 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Brown starts from inside Penn territory after the punt and a missed tackle after a catch give the Bears a first down at the Penn 23.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Incomplete pass on 1st down as the throw takes a WR out of bounds, but Donnelly completes one to the Quaker 14 on the next play.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Taulbee bangs to a first and goal at the 10.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Time out Brown with 7:19 left in the third quarter.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Touchdown Brown on a pass to the outside

Brown 10, Penn 7, 7:11 left in the third quarter. First lead for the Bears.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'll keep an eye on this game as I depart across town for the Towson-Villanova game.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
After a rather dull three quarters. things have gone crazy in the 4th period. Penn went ahead 14-10, Brown answered after a long fourth-down conversion to set up a TD that made it 17-14 and then a long kickoff return set up a 45-yard Connor Loftus field goal to tie it. A.J. Cruz ran the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown with about 2 minutes left, but Brown was called for holding to bring it back.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Penn gets the ball back after stopping Brown and Connor Loftus hits from 35 yards with 14 seconds to pull it out.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Combined with Princeton's late loss to Cornell, 37-35, first place is a busy place in the Ivy League again today. I listened to the end of the Princeton-Cornell game while I was stuck in traffic on Lancaster Avenue going from Franklin Field to Villanova Stadium and then catching most of the fourth period of Penn-Brown. Thanks goodness for radio. Also caught the end of Old Dominion's 31-26 victory at home against Delaware.

Mr. C
October 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Final from Franklin Field.

Penn 20, Brown 17 and the Quakers live to fight another day.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Here is the column from College Sports Journal on the game and the other action in the Ivy League today:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/478-penn-cornell-earn-late-wins-on-field-goals-in-the-wild-ivy-league-race

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
And Penn still sucks. Harvard will take them in two weeks! Homecoming queen Fang-mi Schwartz will be disappointed.