PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on status and future plans for URI FB

Brad82
October 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/ProJo/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VFBKLzIwMTIvMTAvMjc.&pageno=MTc.&entity=QXIwMTcwMg..&view=ZW50aXR5

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Dead link. Did the plans include winning a game?

GD84
October 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM
that was maybe the most depressing article I have read in a while when it comes to FCS Football.

superman7515
October 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Dead link. Did the plans include winning a game?

Actually... No. Haha.

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — The University of Rhode Island football team will lose 11 games for the first time since the program began 117 years ago unless it upsets 12thranked New Hampshire Saturday at Homecoming or Richmond, or Towson, or Maine in November.

Barring an upset, URI will finish a football season without a victory for the first time since 1949, when that team was 0-8.

Nevertheless, director of athletics Thorr Bjorn is optimistic about the future of the program.

“Do I have any doubt about football? No. We have struggled for a long time, and I have taken it as a personal focus to work with the staff and the alumni to change that. I believe football is important for so many reasons. It’s a great way to bring people to campus,” he said this week.

The challenge is enormous. URI is suffering through its 11th consecutive losing season, has enjoyed only three winning seasons since 1985, has not won a championship since 1985 and has not qualified for the NCAA playoffs since 1985, the longest playoff drought among current CAA members.

Laker
October 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Well, at least Rhode Island has won more games since 1975 than Vermont. Too bad that Ben and Jerry don't put some of their ice cream money into restarting a football program.

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
3 winning seasons in the last 27, Wow I didn't realize it was that bad.

ITmonarch10
October 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Honestly, I think they should of stayed in the NEC. They will end up playing with more teams around their level of play.

bri-dog
October 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
If they're that piss-poor, maybe they should move to the northeast corner of the state and change their name to URINE.

okay, that was bad...

Laker
October 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
If they're that piss-poor, maybe they should move to the northeast corner of the state and change their name to URINE.

okay, that was bad...

That was the team that the Faber College Mongols were playing for Homecoming in Animal House. 17123

URMite
October 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
At least they beat Akron in 1985 so that UR wasn't the last team they beat in the playoffs - 1984.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110609aaa.html

dgreco
October 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I agree IT, the NEC was a much better fit for the URI football program. Is it really better to have a horrible team in the CAA?

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
To be honest I am glad URI stuck with the CAA. In the next few years they plan on taking football more seriously which is good and will eventually become more competitive again, remember this year they only have 47 schollies compared to 57-63 for everyone else. The NEC is going nowhere as far as football goes. Albany is out, idk where they would go but if CCSU draws larger crowds and does significantly better next couple of years I would think they want out as well eventually. URI is the flagship university, I think competing at full scholly FCS football is the best move for them.

Tim James
October 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM
New turf and lights isnt enough. Got to build a new main stand or this program is going nowhere.

MplsBison
October 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Yeah....but...Indiana State.

If they can do it...

URMite
October 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
There is always VMI who last had a >.500 season in 1981.

Seawolf97
October 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I hope URI sticks it out. The CAA North ( unofficial north ) at 5 teams would be pretty nice. But if they are at 47 schollies they are at an distinct dis advantage. Hopefully they get up to 58 or so next season and become more competitive.