PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs Nitty Gritty

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm looking at doing a report similar to the Nitty Gritty report for basketball. http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2012/nitty

I'm thinking about including the top 45 GPI because I think that grabs all the at-large possibilities. If you can think of a team that I would miss, let me know. http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/gpi/20121022GPI.htm
And drop down to Top 40 if it seems appropriate later.

I'm looking at columns for FBS record, Top FCS record, rest of FCS record, max Div I wins (or N for non-participating conference).

But what defines a quality/signature win? Top 25 or 30 & <5 losses? From where? TSN, AGS, Sagarin, RPI, GPI, or Massey http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ?

I'm leaning toward AGS Top 30...

I thought this would be a good week to work on it since UR is still relevant and has a bye week. xblehx

Go Apps
October 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'm looking at doing a report similar to the Nitty Gritty report for basketball. http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2012/nitty

I'm thinking about including the top 45 GPI because I think that grabs all the at-large possibilities. If you can think of a team that I would miss, let me know. http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/gpi/20121022GPI.htm
And drop down to Top 40 if it seems appropriate later.

I'm looking at columns for FBS record, Top FCS record, rest of FCS record, max Div I wins (or N for non-participating conference).

But what defines a quality/signature win? Top 25 or 30 & <5 losses? From where? TSN, AGS, Sagarin, RPI, GPI, or Massey http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ?

I'm leaning toward AGS Top 30...

I thought this would be a good week to work on it since UR is still relevant and has a bye week. xblehx

Just add the GPI of the conference overall - that will be a factor one that helped the CAA for so many years get 4 and 5 teams

danefan
October 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Just add the GPI of the conference overall - that will be a factor one that helped the CAA for so many years get 4 and 5 teams

GPI has never been proven to help anyone get anything anywhere.

tingly
October 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Doesn't matter cuz this won't either. Basketball uses RPI.

ITmonarch10
October 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Someone is a little bitter xnonono2x. Even if you were to include GPI, the majority of our in conference cannibalism is done and each playoff potential team is still in the top 30 GPI. 4 CAA teams will be inside the top 20 by the end of season and lets not forget some of the top 20 GPI teams aren't even eligible for playoff selection assuming 8 wins is the requirement (UNI, possibly App,Sam Houston and YSU).

10. Old Dominion (12.14)
15T. New Hampshire (18.29)
20. Villanova (20.57)
22T. James Madison (22.43)
29. Richmond (26.86)

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Someone is a little bitter xnonono2x. Even if you were to include GPI, the majority of our in conference cannibalism is done and each playoff potential team is still in the top 30 GPI. 4 CAA teams will be inside the top 20 by the end of season and lets not forget some of the top 20 GPI teams aren't even eligible for playoff selection assuming 8 wins is the requirement (UNI, possibly App,Sam Houston and YSU). We also are highly favored in the polls so we are getting 4 teams in whether you like it or not xrotatehx.

10. Old Dominion (12.14)
20. Villanova (20.57)
29. Richmond (26.86)

What does favored in the polls have to do with anything?

Go Apps
October 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Someone is a little bitter xnonono2x. Even if you were to include GPI, the majority of our in conference cannibalism is done and each playoff potential team is still in the top 30 GPI. 4 CAA teams will be inside the top 20 by the end of season and lets not forget some of the top 20 GPI teams aren't even eligible for playoff selection assuming 8 wins is the requirement (UNI, possibly App,Sam Houston and YSU). We also are highly favored in the polls so we are getting 4 teams in whether you like it or not xrotatehx.

10. Old Dominion (12.14)
20. Villanova (20.57)
29. Richmond (26.86)

Not sure they will be in the top 20 after playing RI and Ga State - that is what continues to downgrade you all ...

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
GPI has never been proven to help anyone get anything anywhere.

GPI once bought me a taco at Taco bell when I forgot my wallet. Your move.

ITmonarch10
October 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
What does favored in the polls have to do with anything?

Nothing with this thread... Go Apps has just preaching the CAA won't get 4 teams in the playoff as of late. Ill just edited that part out the thread.

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 03:36 PM

First, explain to me how conference GPI will alter an individual team's GPI after all the games are played? I have always believed the committee looks at teams not conferences. I have never seen a conference participate in a playoff game, only teams.

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Doesn't matter cuz this won't either. Basketball uses RPI.

I'm not trying to create something to influence the committee. I'm trying to create something simple that posters here can look at so they can compare teams' resumes themselves.

The Top 45 RPI is a bit more cumbersome to work with and produces interesting results.

Team All Rank
***Sam Houston St. *4-2 1
***New Hampshire *6-2 2
***Northern Arizona *5-1 3
***Albany *6-1 4
***Central Arkansas *5-2 5
***Indiana St. *5-2 6
***James Madison *5-2 7
***Eastern Kentucky *6-2 8
***Villanova *6-2 9
***Delaware *4-2 10
***Tenn-Martin *6-2 11
***Tennessee St. *7-1 12
***Bethune-Cookman *5-2 13
***Alabama A&M *5-1 14
***Harvard *5-1 15
***Appalachian St. *5-3 16
***Illinois St. *6-2 17
***Eastern Illinois *4-3 18
***Citadel *4-3 19
***Youngstown St. *4-3 20
***Towson *3-4 21
***Princeton *4-2 22
***AR Pine Bluff *4-2 23
***McNeese St. *3-3 24
***Brown *4-2 25
***South Dakota St *5-2 26
***Drake *5-2 27
***Southern Ill. *5-3 28
***Duquesne *5-2 29
***Richmond *5-3 30
***Jacksonville *5-2 31
***Fordham *3-3 32
***Lafayette *5-2 33
***Jacksonville St. *4-3 34
***San Diego *3-3 35
***Sacramento St. *5-3 36
***Samford *4-3 37
***Jackson St. *4-4 38
***Alabama St. *4-3 39
***Howard *4-2 40
***Dartmouth *4-2 41
***Colgate *4-3 42
***Chattanooga *3-3 43
***North Dakota *3-4 44
***North Carolina Central *4-2 45

danefan
October 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
GPI once bought me a taco at Taco bell when I forgot my wallet. Your move.

Perfect, since you could then used the GPI to wipe up after the taco worked its way through the pipes 3 minutes later.

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Anybody feel that this leaves out any at-large possibilities?

Rank Team …………………
1……. N Dakota St
2……. Ga Southern
3……. E Washington
4……. Cal Poly
5……. Sam Houston St
6……. Montana St
7……. Northern Arizona
8……. Indiana St
9……. Wofford
10….. Old Dominion
11….. Cent Arkansas
12….. Stony Brook
13….. S Dakota St
14….. Appalachian St
15….. Illinois St
15….. New Hampshire
17….. Northern Iowa
18….. E Kentucky
19….. S Illinois
20….. Villanova
21….. Youngstown St
22….. Albany
22….. James Madison
24….. Harvard
25….. Tennessee St
26….. TN Martin
27….. Chattanooga
28….. Lehigh
29….. Richmond
30….. Samford
31….. North Dakota
31….. SF Austin
33….. E Illinois
34….. Towson
35….. McNeese St
36….. Jacksonville St
37….. The Citadel
38….. Murray St
39….. Bethune-Cookman
39….. Sacramento St
41….. Southern Utah
42….. Montana
43….. Missouri St
44….. Delaware
45….. Princeton

Vitojr130
October 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM
First, explain to me how conference GPI will alter an individual team's GPI after all the games are played? I have always believed the committee looks at teams not conferences. I have never seen a conference participate in a playoff game, only teams.

It is my understanding that the conference GPI cannot alter a teams GPI, but a teams GPI is what alters the conference GPI. However, the committee sure does look at the GPI of a conference as a whole, as it shows the strength of competition that teams within the conference has faced throughout the season. This information is used for deciding the at-large bids and the seedings.

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
It is my understanding that the conference GPI cannot alter a teams GPI, but a teams GPI is what alters the conference GPI. However, the committee sure does look at the GPI of a conference as a whole, as it shows the strength of competition that teams within the conference has faced throughout the season. This information is used for deciding the at-large bids and the seedings.

My point was that Go Apps keeps stating that the strength of the conference that a team is a member of will be more important at the end of the season than the strength of the opponents that a team has faced during the season. Therefore he wants me to use Conference GPI instead of strength of schedule. I just don't feel that is accurate.

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
So the two points I'm still looking at are:

I'm going to use GPI to determine which teams to list a resume for, because it has the simplest format to work with and it most closely matchest a majority of posters eye ball test in total. If you believe there is a better list to determine possible at-large candidates (not to determine which candidates are better just who is in the picture), let me know.

Since I'm here on AGS I'm going to use the AGS Top 40 as a measure of quality wins and opportunity for quality wins (I won't count anyone with >4 losses as a quality win). If you think there is a better list for that purpose, let me know that too. (I don't think Conference GPI fits in the category because WCU doesn't become a quality win just because the SoCon has the highest GPI).

danefan
October 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Prove it.

The GPI has never been shown to be used by anyone for anything.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Prove it.

The GPI has never been shown to be used by anyone for anything.

Aren't you listening, it bought me a taco, once!

tingly
October 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cal Poly has been made keenly aware over the years that schedule strength carries more weight than conference strength. The committee is more interested in who teams beat and where losses came. Being in a conference with 5 playoff teams and 5 horrible teams is an average conference, but big with the committee cuz you'll get 4 chances to make an impression and they can understand 2, maybe 3 losses against the 4.

eagle07
October 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Aren't you listening, it bought me a taco, once!

Doritos locos taco? At least supreme..... my guess is either way your *** was on fire....... so did the gpi really do you a favor?

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Nolan has his own report on the FCS.

http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2012/npi

Why try to duplicate the effort?

tingly
October 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
He's trying to do something more extensive than what's on that page.

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Nolan has his own report on the FCS.

http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2012/npi

Why try to duplicate the effort?

He's trying to do something more extensive than what's on that page.
Or something that isn't hot garbage. Not a lot of effort put into that when he lists Princeton as playing the toughest schedule in the country.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Doritos locos taco? At least supreme..... my guess is either way your *** was on fire....... so did the gpi really do you a favor?

:(, no. It just seemed like it needed a friend.