PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Death Scenario

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Call me crazy and I know the chances of this playing out are slim to none but what if....

GSU- Chatty(L) APP(L) Howard(W) Georga(L)
Wofford – Cit(L) Samford(L) Chatty(W) USC(L)
Chatty- GSU(W) WCU(W) Woff(L) Elon(L)
APP – WCU(W) GSU(W) Furman(L)
Citadel- Woff(W) Elon(L) VMI(W) Furman(W)
ELON- Furman(W) Cit(W) SAM(W) Chatt(W)

All above teams end up at 5-3 and all except Chatty are 7-4 overall, Chatty is 6-5. If I did my math right The Citadel would be league champ with the most wins over included teams. Again I’m high on fumes thinking this but my math mind likes to look at possible scenarios

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I would shoot myself if this happened.

So yes, this is probably an accurate Socon Death scenario.

Go Apps
October 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Call me crazy and I know the chances of this playing out are slim to none but what if....

All above teams end up at 5-3 and all except Chatty are 7-4 overall, Chatty is 6-5. If I did my math right The Citadel would be league champ with the most wins over included teams. Again I’m high on fumes thinking this but my math mind likes to look at possible scenarios

You are right in that sceario - 3 teams have 3 wins in the group that is ASU, Citadel, Wofford - Citadel has wins over both they get the bid ASU just needs to win and would like to be in a two loss scenario that includes UTC - which would give ASU the autobid with wins over GSU and UTC...

Mr. Pink
October 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Lol... Western Carolina gets NO love... not even in the list... just a SOCON punching bag...

I have to agree for now, but I have this feeling that within 3 years, WCU will be a SOCON champ contender.

biggie
October 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Keep thinking that they would do some coin tossing if all that happened.

GSUhooligan
October 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm worried, the only scenarios on your list that seem plausible are GSU's and App's. Wofford WILL NOT lose to citadel AND Samford, Chatty won't lose to Elon, citadel won't beat Wofford, and Elon won't win any of those games.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM

In this scenario Elon only has 6 D1 wins so they are out, along with UTC. El Cid gets the autobid, and probably 2 of the remaining three get at-large bids (with losses in 3 of their last 4, I think Wofford would be out).

EDIT: I see now that GSU would have 3 losses in their last 4 as well (both with losses to SEC teams in that stretch), so it would be between them and Wofford as to who would get in.

woffordgrad94
October 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM
When I saw the title, I thought this would be a thread about a scenario where the Southern Conference would cease to exist!

All this stuff ain't gonna happen. Zero probablity of it. Maybe a few things here, but all of it? Never.

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Wofford has only one game left it could lose - UTC. Not very likely.

GSU has only one game left it could lose - App. I highly doubt it, although it would be very fitting if App beat GSU and then lost to Furman the way this season has gone.

sgt smash
October 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM

All above teams end up at 5-3 and all except Chatty are 7-4 overall, Chatty is 6-5. If I did my math right The Citadel would be league champ with the most wins over included teams. Again I’m high on fumes thinking this but my math
mind likes to look at possible scenarios

With records like that, you would all have Sun Belt invites by spring.

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM
xrotatehx

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 10:23 AM
was not looking at At large so the 6 D1 doesnt matter. I was just saying that with a tied conf and OCC record some wierd tiebreaking would come into play

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm worried, the only scenarios on your list that seem plausible are GSU's and App's. Wofford WILL NOT lose to citadel AND Samford, Chatty won't lose to Elon, citadel won't beat Wofford, and Elon won't win any of those games.

Elon will not loose out, I could see them going 2-2 or 3-1 if we play complete games. The Chatty is a toss up for me, it all depends on how chatty plays in its next 3. If it gets smacked around by GSU and Wofford they could be beat up that final game. Though being a home game for them and being the better team at this point I still give them the nod.

Go Apps
October 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Lol... Western Carolina gets NO love... not even in the list... just a SOCON punching bag...

I have to agree for now, but I have this feeling that within 3 years, WCU will be a SOCON champ contender.

No way they snagged some great coaches but the reality is that talent wants to go to schools with history, crowds and something to play for...have you been to WCU - you would choose that over GSU/APP/Montana?JMU - never

Go Apps
October 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM

The one thing I do think can happen is Elon winning out - they have played the big3 and a FBS school - they played us all close - I believe they can and will win out - but only 6 wins

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 10:44 AM
With records like that, you would all have Sun Belt invites by spring.

xhighfivex

URMite
October 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM

GSU has only one game left it could lose - App. I highly doubt it, although it would be very fitting if App beat GSU and then lost to Furman the way this season has gone.

You are guaranteeing a win against South Carolina?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Wofford could lose to UTC, but not GSU?
Also, you don't think Samford could beat Wofford in Birmingham?

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM
SoCon game.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Lol, That is good stuff. The team that has given up 52 and 38 to it's TO opponents has a better chance of beating GSU than Chattanooga. Great one man.

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Lol, That is good stuff. The team that has given up 52 and 38 to it's TO opponents has a better chance of beating GSU than Chattanooga. Great one man.

We gave up very similar points to the same two team last year and still beat GaSo....

Not saying we'll win. We'll likely get our dicks kicked in next Saturday. We have a better chance than UTC though. Worst offense in the conference.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM
We gave up very similar points to the same two team last year and still beat GaSo....

Not saying we'll win. We'll likely get our dicks kicked in next Saturday. We have a better chance than UTC though. Worst offense in the conference.

Worst offense in the SOCON leads the conference in time of possession, and have committed the fewest amount of turnovers.

eaglewithabus
October 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Worst offense in the SOCON leads the conference in time of possession, and have committed the fewest amount of turnovers.

Hell yea... I am envious. Nothing gets my blood pumping like knowing we kicked *** in T.O.P.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hell yea... I am envious. Nothing gets my blood pumping like knowing we kicked *** in T.O.P.

Chattanooga might not be very explosive but they don't beat themselves and they know how to take care of the ball and drive it down the field. They could really frustrate your eagles by grinding the ball and forcing 3 and outs.

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Chattanooga might not be very explosive but they don't beat themselves and they know how to take care of the ball and drive it down the field but forget how to score points. They could really frustrate your eagles by grinding the ball and forcing 3 and outs.

Fixed that for you there buddy.

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
TOP means nothing, sure you can run the ball 10 yard in 3 downs taking up all the play clock each time just to score a FG. Then let the other team run the kickoff back for a TD. If you do this every time you win the TOP by 99% but get your but kicked on the scoreboard

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
TOP means nothing, sure you can run the ball 10 yard in 3 downs taking up all the play clock each time just to score a FG. Then let the other team run the kickoff back for a TD. If you do this every time you win the TOP by 99% but get your but kicked on the scoreboard

It matters unless you are running a fast break, no huddle offense. It's important to keep your defense rested.

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
It matters unless you are running a fast break, no huddle offense. It's important to keep your defense rested.

agreed but if you cant score it doesnt matter how rested you are. TOP can help but its not the sole factor in winning. TOP can best be used to slow down and throw off a fast paced team or give them less oppertunity to score. But again if you can't score then it will have no effect

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 12:11 PM
agreed but if you cant score it doesnt matter how rested you are. TOP can help but its not the sole factor in winning. TOP can best be used to slow down and throw off a fast paced team or give them less oppertunity to score. But again if you can't score then it will have no effect

I think Chattanooga is last in scoring but there really isnt that much seperation in that stat in the entire conference.

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I think Chattanooga is last in scoring but there really isnt that much seperation in that stat in the entire conference.

1. Wofford 40.1 pts/game
2. Georgia Southern 34.3 pts/game

9. Chattanooga 24.0 pts/game

2-3 score difference between the top and the bottom (depending on if you run 2 pt conversions)

Cap'n Obvious
October 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM

Cap'n Obvious can handle this.......so you're saying TOP hasn't really helped out your "Worst offense in the SOCON" ?

I strike again!!xblehx

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cap'n Obvious can handle this.......so you're saying TOP hasn't really helped out your "Worst offense in the SOCON" ?

I strike again!!xblehx

Sarcasm buddy. Chattanooga is last in some statistics, they definitely aren't the worst offense.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM
1. Wofford 40.1 pts/game
2. Georgia Southern 34.3 pts/game

9. Chattanooga 24.0 pts/game

2-3 score difference between the top and the bottom (depending on if you run 2 pt conversions)

Post the entire list.

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Post the entire list.

Doesn't matter. You said there wasn't much seperation in that statistic. I just proved there was. Not much seperation would mean everyone is within one score of each other.

Eaglesrus
October 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM

I strike again!!xblehx

If you're going to point out this kind of stuff from chattown you're going to build that post count very quickly! Welcome to the fray.

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Doesn't matter. You said there wasn't much seperation in that statistic. I just proved there was. Not much seperation would mean everyone is within one score of each other.

Trying to prove that to him is like trying to prove Mugsey Boges and Shaq don't have a huge hight difference

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Son don't talk back to your DADDY!

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Wofford has scored by far the most points. They also scored 82? in a game this year. Big deal. I bet we would get a much better picture if we just looked at SOCON play.

DSUrocks07
October 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM

I can definitely attest to that.

Colts-Dolphins 2009 (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290921015)

xpissedx