PDA

View Full Version : SDSU: get fieldturf or get out

MplsBison
October 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
You got no business with grass in a DIVISION I stadium, in South Dakota. Get your a___es in gear.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/378220/

clenz
October 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM
The grass would be fine if they:

1. up kept it better.....

2. didn't allow high schools to use it

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
You got no business with grass in a DIVISION I stadium, in South Dakota. Get your a___es in gear.

Wow. Missed ya buddy! Good to see you're as bitchy as ever.

MplsBison
October 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The grass would be fine if they:

1. up kept it better.....

2. didn't allow high schools to use it

Grass is a high school level surface. Doesn't surprise me that the high schools feel right at home.

gotts
October 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Grass is a high school level surface. Doesn't surprise me that the high schools feel right at home.

Grass WAS a high school surface. The majority of the high schools where I grew up (NW Twin Cities suburbs) have fieldturf now.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Fresh off his suspension, MplsBison comes back strong out of the gates! Good to have you back...

Should be a great Hobo Day game - looking forward to watching it from half way across the country.

Oh, by the way, field turf is a part of the stadium upgrade/expansion.

clenz
October 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Ah, so that's why over half of the NFL uses grass.....got it

NFL
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Oakland
5. Miami
6. Arizona
7. Washington
8. Tennessee
9. Jacksonville
10. Tampa Bay
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. San Diego
14. Pittsburgh
15. Philadelphia
16. Carolina

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM

NFL
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Oakland
5. Miami
6. Arizona
7. Washington
8. Tennessee
9. Jacksonville
10. Tampa Bay
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. San Diego
14. Pittsburgh
15. Philadelphia
16. Carolina

And before MPLS has a chance, yes, we know these NFL teams have better groundskeepers than SDSU's. We get it...

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM

NFL
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Oakland
5. Miami
6. Arizona
7. Washington
8. Tennessee
9. Jacksonville
10. Tampa Bay
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. San Diego
14. Pittsburgh
15. Philadelphia
16. Carolina

Almost 80% if the SEC and over 50% of total BCS schools use natural grass.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2012/7/2/3129894/is-natural-grass-dying-in-college-football

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Grass is far from a high school level surface. There are plenty of high level places that make it work. Many colleges use it. You will notice however these schools are in the south. There are also NFL teams that use it. Some of these are in the north. The problem is grass takes so much more money and care to keep it nice. SDSU does not have the money the Packers or Bears do to keep it nice in a harsh climate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

danefan
October 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM
And before MPLS has a chance, yes, we know these NFL teams have better groundskeepers than SDSU's. We get it...

I played in Landshark/Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Whatever Its Called These Days Stadium. The grass was horrendous. Looked great on TV but was horrendous to play on.

superman7515
October 24th, 2012, 02:02 PM

NFL
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Oakland
5. Miami
6. Arizona
7. Washington
8. Tennessee
9. Jacksonville
10. Tampa Bay
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. San Diego
14. Pittsburgh
15. Philadelphia
16. Carolina

Green Bay, Denver, and Philadelphia use Desso GrassMaster which is a combination of real grass and artificial turf, it's mostly real grass but heavily reinforced and not comparable at all to the performance of an actual grass field.

Sammy94
October 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Frisco is grass and heard no complaints about that place.

MplsBison
October 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Fresh off his suspension, MplsBison comes back strong out of the gates! Good to have you back...

Should be a great Hobo Day game - looking forward to watching it from half way across the country.

Oh, by the way, field turf is a part of the stadium upgrade/expansion.

About time.

/thread

Jazzman1522
October 24th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Yeah! How dare they be in Division I and have grass! Wait, what? No, this is stupid.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
About time.

/thread

Agreed... Regardless, the Dakota Marker game is in Fargo this year, so what are you complaining about? Are you a closet Penguin fan or just bored and need something to b*tch about? I'm actually a little surprised the that Forum picked up on this and wrote a story about it... Must be a slow day in F-M.

Kemo
October 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Our evil plan to make life so miserable for visiting teams that they start ponying up the dough for our new turf is materializing nicely... xninjax

HensRock
October 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2012/7/2/3129894/is-natural-grass-dying-in-college-football

Yeah, When's NDSU going to upgrade to grass?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yeah, When's NDSU going to upgrade to grass?

if Delware can get back into the playoffs, we'll break out the old school astroturf for ya.

Cocky
October 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM

If youve ever played in Tuscaloosa you wouldnt call that grass, sand maybe?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
If youve ever played in Tuscaloosa you wouldnt call that grass, sand maybe?

Yeah, I don't really care what it is, I'm just trying to tamp down the bull**** of SDSU being so backwards.

Jazzman1522
October 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I don't really care what it is, I'm just trying to tamp down the bull**** of SDSU being so backwards.

If they had turf, you wouldn't have to tamp down anything. :D

Laker
October 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Nothing wrong with playing on grass. What I don't like is if a high school team plays on it the night before when it is muddy.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 04:58 PM
If they had turf, you wouldn't have to tamp down anything. :D

You ever been to Brookings? You may have to actually tamp down bull**** no matter what surface you're on.

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Great news for all the haters. The Brookings High School football team beat Rapid City Central in the 1st round of the SD playoffs on Tuesday at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, but as the lowest seed still in the playoffs they will be on the road for the quarterfinals and as long as they advance. So great news no more HS kids on the field this season. xrolleyesx

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
You ever been to Brookings? You may have to actually tamp down bull**** no matter what surface you're on.

P.S. Brookings is awesome!

http://www.cityofbrookings.org/

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Great news for all the haters. The Brookings High School football team beat Rapid City Central in the 1st round of the SD playoffs on Tuesday at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, but as the lowest seed still in the playoffs they will be on the road for the quarterfinals and as long as they advance. So great news no more HS kids on the field this season. xrolleyesx

MPLS can finally sleep easy at night again...

BucBisonAtLarge
October 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
We did a drive around and through Brookings/SDSU on our way to Fargo for the NDSU-YSU game. That stadium has to be brutal come November and turf would not help very much with those frozen collisions with the ground. Brookings seems like a great college town.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM

I lived there for a year, went to SDSU and lived in Berg Hall with the cow pasture next to the parking lot, I know all about Brookings.

Laker
October 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Brookings is a place that my Dad, a lifetime farmer, said that he could have stood to move to. He worked around there for Brookfield Seed Company of Hector, MN as a salesman and really liked the place.

justintyem
October 24th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Frisco is grass and heard no complaints about that place.

Frisco is a SOCCER stadium. Camp Randall in Madison,Wi uses turf,and thats because of the weather and they have HS games at the stadium. That makes it easier to maintain(No mowing and No Painting)the field.

Jazzman1522
October 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Afraid not. I spend most of my time in Ohio and Kentucky and, hopefully, soon, South Carolina. But if I ever make it out that way, I'll be sure to watch my step.

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I lived there for a year, went to SDSU and lived in Berg Hall with the cow pasture next to the parking lot, I know all about Brookings.

Cows, on a Land Grant Research University. What are the odds? xlolx

You will be sad to know that your residence hall has been renamed (The Berg name is now on the building that holds the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences) and they are moving the cow/calf research unit over to Volga in the spring.

justintyem
October 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Green Bay, Denver, and Philadelphia use Desso GrassMaster which is a combination of real grass and artificial turf, it's mostly real grass but heavily reinforced and not comparable at all to the performance of an actual grass field.

GreenBay also has a lighting system that helps growing the grass in the winter.

Laker
October 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM

You will be sad to know that your residence hall has been renamed (The Berg name is now on the building that holds the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences) and they are moving the cow/calf research unit over to Volga in the spring.

Will they still be making ice cream on campus? When MSU would play at SDSU in basketball, I would always get a cone at halftime, even if it was below zero outside. Great stuff.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM

As long as it was across from Bailey and the exhibitionist girls, they can call it anything they want. NDSU has cows, far away from the main campus. Ohio State too.

swaghook
October 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I see no problem with the grass field. Not a big fan of the crown SDSU's field has.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Will they still be making ice cream on campus? When MSU would play at SDSU in basketball, I would always get a cone at halftime, even if it was below zero outside. Great stuff.

I'm pretty sure they do. At least every few days I would stop by the dairy bar on Medary on my way home from class and pick up a carton.

Sycamore51
October 24th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Since Indiana State was the first college program with outdoor turf in the universe, we must be the cream of the crop. INST, playing on fake grass since 1967!

bojeta
October 24th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Cal Poly has a sweet grass field (not sweet-grass lol). They actually have a plan to replace it with field-turf, but the budget crisis prevented that. The reason for installing it, ironically, is for long term cost savings. Everyone I've talked to, players included, loves the natural grass. Of course, we don't get too much heavy rain and it doesn't snow in SLO, but the field is heavily used by men's and women's soccer, field hockey occasionally, and football. Always seems to look pretty nice though. I guess it helps to have an Ag Dept with a Turf Management degree program :)

MSUBear42
October 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I played in Landshark/Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Whatever Its Called These Days Stadium. The grass was horrendous. Looked great on TV but was horrendous to play on.

Same at Arrowhead in KC. It LOOKS great because it's all spray painted green every week, but the surface itself is awful.

I went to school for sports turf management. It, sadly, is a dying profession. With maintenance and upkeep, it's cheaper to get sports/astro turf.

malibudude
October 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
MPLS are not you an Astro/Field Turf sales guy (among other things)? Give me natural grass any day, just better and safer.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I did a little research on Brookings and it seems decent. Daktronics has to have a major influence on the local economy. Maybe they would chip in? I'd rather live in Brookings than Vermillion, no offense to USD.

Overall though, the North Dakota schools have you beat for college locations.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
MPLS are not you an Astro/Field Turf sales guy (among other things)? Give me natural grass any day, just better and safer.

Do you have the safety data available cuz I've heard the Field turf is safer as far as injuries and I am wondering if you are going by the astroturf (70's style) type of thinking?

Depending on location and it's use natural grass is not better in many cases. It certainly was not better in Montana's case.

If everything lines up right for ya to have natural grass then great but the fieldturf provides a lot of leeway for teams in the inclement regions.

Laker
October 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I did a little research on Brookings and it seems decent. Daktronics has to have a major influence on the local economy. Maybe they would chip in? I'd rather live in Brookings than Vermillion, no offense to USD.

Overall though, the North Dakota schools have you beat for college locations.

Daktronics put up the huge instant replay board.

I've been to both- Brookings is nicer than Vermillion. If either USD or SDSU was in Sioux Falls they would be more comparable to UND and NDSU.

i_got_a_fever
October 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM

This is stupid. Brookings is an awesome land grant university town. NDSU has lost all sense of being land grant. NDSU might as well be a liberal arts college for all that some of its students know. I went to SDSU to get a top notch Agricultural degree, and Brookings is the perfect town of a top notch Agricultural University. Everyone on here can keep dogging us for having livestock near campus, but we wouldn't have it any other way. South Dakota is agriculture and specifically animal agriculture. Enjoy the food you eat everyday NoDak 4 Ever.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM

I'm sure it is great in sunny California but up here in the frozen north that isn't exactly the case.

justintyem
October 24th, 2012, 08:57 PM
They say the "NEW" Turf nowadays is safer then grass. Real grass can tear up and make you to slip and fall. Very bad for ankles and knees.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
This is stupid. Brookings is an awesome land grant university town. NDSU has lost all sense of being land grant. NDSU might as well be a liberal arts college for all that some of its students know. I went to SDSU to get a top notch Agricultural degree, and Brookings is the perfect town of a top notch Agricultural University. Everyone on here can keep dogging us for having livestock near campus, but we wouldn't have it any other way. South Dakota is agriculture and specifically animal agriculture. Enjoy the food you eat everyday NoDak 4 Ever.

I wonder what I said that caused such a visceral reaction, I have done little more than fondly recall my time in Brookings.

I was a speech communication major, I couldn't care less about the agricultural pedigree of either school.

344Johnson
October 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Better check yourself before ya wreck yourself! NDSU has a big aggie program. I think what you meant to say was that NDSU has added some more traditional fields as well.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I wonder what I said that caused such a visceral reaction, I have done little more than fondly recall my time in Brookings.

I was a speech communication major, I couldn't care less about the agricultural pedigree of either school.

Don't take it personally - it was the guy's first post on here, so he obviously felt strongly enough about SDSU to create an account and post a response. Can't fault a man for having some pride in his alma mater.

Fact of the matter is, Brookings is a great little college town. Better than Vermillion, yes, but not as big as Fargo or Grand Forks. Regardless, the local community and fan base love their Jackrabbits. We will have field turf within the next 5-7 years, so our days of natural grass are numbered. Personally, I love the natural grass, but I understand the complaints and reasons why it needs to go. Sharing a field with the local high school sucks, but that's just a part of the character and small-town feel of Brookings, SD.

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM

I would much rather live in a vibrant college town then be at a college in a small mid-western city like NDSU. They live in a place that is neither a college town nor is it urban. Just kind of a tween-er. It is like living in the suburbs without the city in my opinion. Hey but to each their own.

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have no problem sharing the field with the HS. I believe Stig once said that the College players tear up the field more in warm-ups then the HS kids do all game long. Have you seen HS football? 150 lbs kids playing the line. I am not sure they "tear it up".

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I would much rather live in a vibrant college town then be at a college in a small mid-western city like NDSU. They live in a place that is neither a college town nor is it urban. Just kind of a tween-er. It is like living in the suburbs without the city in my opinion. Hey but to each their own.

I hear what you are saying - and agree to a certain extent - but Fargo is actually a decent little "city". I certainly like it better than Sioux Falls (other than the climate), and the fan support they give the Bison is ridiuculous. If SDSU were in Sioux Falls, however, I feel that would be horrible. So maybe I'm contradicting myself a little bit...?

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I spent 16 years in Kansas City. If you are going to be in a city . . . BE IN A CITY. Have pro sports, have an international airport, have millions of people - you know real city life. With that said, I really like college towns for your college experience. You can do the City thing after you graduate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I spent 16 years in Kansas City. If you are going to be in a city . . . BE IN A CITY. With that said, I really like college towns for your college experience. You can do the City thing after you graduate.

I think it depends on what you're going for. In the Northeast, most of the top notch schools are located in the major cities.

I think Fargo and GF are well enough connected to the Twin Cities that job/internship opportunities are available. Where do most business majors from SDSU end up? Sioux Falls? Omaha? Rapid City?

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I think it depends what you're going for. In the northeast, most of the top notch schools are located in the major cities.

I think Fargo and GF are well enough connected to the Twin Cities that job/internship opportunities are available. Where do most business majors from SDSU end up? Sioux Falls? Omaha? Rapid City?

I'm a former business major and SDSU student-athlete and live in one of the 5 largest cities in the US. SDSU isn't a big business school (that's USD), so that pipeline isn't as paramount.

clenz
October 24th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I think it depends on what you're going for. In the Northeast, most of the top notch schools are located in the major cities.

Is 3.5-4 hours really "well connected"? That's how far it is from Fargo to the Twin Cities...If that is the case UNI and SDSU are more connected to the Twin Cities than NDSU as they are both closer....

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I spent 16 years in Kansas City. If you are going to be in a city . . . BE IN A CITY. Have pro sports, have an international airport, have millions of people - you know real city life. With that said, I really like college towns for your college experience. You can do the City thing after you graduate.

Agreed.

If i had to, I could sure live in Brookings again, but I prefer to live in a city with MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, FBS football, Super Bowls, BCS Bowl Games, etc, etc. More places to blow my money...

sgt smash
October 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I think NDSU is very well connected with the Twin Cities. Exhibit A: When the Minnesota Vikings have thier mascot games at halftime against a pee wee football team, Thundar the Bison Mascot played in that game a couple years ago. Now tell me that is not a great connection to have!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Is 3.5-4 hours really "well connected"? That's how far it is from Fargo to the Twin Cities...If that is the case UNI and SDSU are more connected to the Twin Cities than NDSU as they are both closer....

I got the sense there were alot of alums/students from the Twin City area when I was visiting both ND schools. I would associate UNI with Des Moines and maybe Chicago instead of Minny/St Paul.

Where does most of SDSU's football support come from? Townies or traveling alums? The one thing I noticed about the MT and ND schools is the amount of support they get from the locals.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have no problem sharing the field with the HS. I believe Stig once said that the College players tear up the field more in warm-ups then the HS kids do all game long. Have you seen HS football? 150 lbs kids playing the line. I am not sure they "tear it up".

Here in Cedar Falls the average lineman weighs like 270 lbs. There is one kid who is around 6'7 300. Granted he is getting looks from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.

We share our field with the local high school which is why we got turf... :p

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I got the sense there were alot of alums/students from the Twin City area when I was visiting both ND schools. I would associate UNI with Des Moines and maybe Chicago instead of Minny/St Paul.

Where does most of SDSU's football support come from? Townies or traveling alums? The one thing I noticed about the MT and ND schools is the amount of support they get from the locals.

Alums, locals, and the remaining majority of the state of SD. You've obvoiusly never been to Brookings, which is fine.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 24th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Alums, locals, and the remaining majority of the state of SD. You've obvoiusly never been to Brookings and have no knowledge on this topic...

I said I had to brush up on my Brookings info. I thought it was pretty cool the town was home to Daktronics. I figured that had to benefit SDSU some how.

I only chimed in because there was a little banter going on between the ND and SD schools. I'm extremely impressed what NDSU has pulled off in Fargo. The other 3 schools have a lot of catching up to do imo.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I said I had to brush up on my Brookings info. I thought it was pretty cool the town was home to Daktronics. I figured that had to benefit SDSU some how.

I only chimed in because there was a little banter going on between the ND and SD schools. I'm extremely impressed what NDSU has pulled off in Fargo. The other 3 schools have a lot of catching up to do imo.

Understood - appreciate you doing some research. After SDSU, Dak is the 2nd largest employer in Brookings. They are a huge supporter of the university (started by 2 former profs) and are an employment pipeline for buisness majors. Great company and Jackrabbit supporter, for sure!

clenz
October 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by clenz (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=1875082)<br />
Is 3.5-4 hours really "well connected"? That's how far it is from Fargo to the Twin Cities...If that is the case UNI and SDSU are more connected to the Twin Cities than NDSU as they are both closer....<br />
<br />
I got the sense there were alot of alums/students from the Twin City area when I was visiting both ND schools. I would associate UNI with Des Moines and maybe Chicago instead of Minny/St Paul.<br />
<br />
Cities with the most uni alums are des moines, kansas city, chicago, minneapolis, and denver

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

DJKyR0
October 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
"Or get out?" So mpls at last reveals himself as Patty Viverito! Ah ha!

bojeta
October 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Here in Cedar Falls the average lineman weighs like 270 lbs. There is one kid who is around 6'7 300. Granted he is getting looks from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.

We share our field with the local high school which is why we got turf... :p

Ya.... I had to chuckle a bit at that too. Here on the California Central Coast, we tend to be a little smaller than the teams out of the Los Angeles area. I teach at a high school. Our line only averages a bit over 250 lol... Geez.. I haven't seen a 150 lbs lineman since the early 1970's.

89rabbit
October 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
SDSU is Sioux Falls, Brookings, Minneapolis, Rapid City, Omaha, Kansas City, Denver, Washington DC, Phoenix

Laker
October 24th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Ya.... I had to chuckle a bit at that too. Here on the California Central Coast, we tend to be a little smaller than the teams out of the Los Angeles area. I teach at a high school. Our line only averages a bit over 250 lol... Geez.. I haven't seen a 150 lbs lineman since the early 1970's.

My home town of Buffalo Lake- 1986- nine man football. The five man line weighed more than the Chicago Bears Super Bowl champs from the previous season. Started out 8-0 before losing to perennial power Silver Lake and then the first round of the playoffs at Cottonwood. I graduated in 1972 and I agree with you.

Bisonoline
October 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM
They say the "NEW" Turf nowadays is safer then grass. Real grass can tear up and make you to slip and fall. Very bad for ankles and knees.

I would like to see the real stats on this and not the ones companies use for their sales pitch. I saw a lot of slipping and sliding at the UNI game and they have turf. heagle blew his ACL on turf if I am correct.
Dont remember any ACL injuries when the Bison played on grass.

344Johnson
October 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM

As far as football fan support, the other 3 have a lot of catching up to do yes. But SDSU is improving I believe in sports attendance. UND has its hockey. USD....well, I don't know much about USD. They don't seem to quite fit sometimes. I'm sure people said the same about NDSU and SDSU though once upon a time.

The other Dakota schools will never get the football support NDSU does as far as attendance. They just aren't located in big enough towns. With NDSU getting a brand new basketball facility, if attendance goes up the way I think it will, it might be hard for them to compete in attendance for that as well. Heck, UND's arena, while nice, holds only 3,300 people. They'll just have to hope to turn it into a rocking environment because playing in the Ralph isn't a great option because of the size of the building, it'd be awfully tough to sell out, the NDSU/UND game didn't even come close to selling out.

It will be great when SDSU gets the football stadium fixed up a bit. Maybe draw some more folks out for a game.

malibudude
October 25th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Do you have the safety data available cuz I've heard the Field turf is safer as far as injuries and I am wondering if you are going by the astroturf (70's style) type of thinking?

Depending on location and it's use natural grass is not better in many cases. It certainly was not better in Montana's case.

If everything lines up right for ya to have natural grass then great but the fieldturf provides a lot of leeway for teams in the inclement regions.

No science, just blew a knee on mid-70's turf. Grass is what the game was meant to be played on...just my thoughts.

clenz
October 25th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Grass is safer than astro turf, no doubt about that.....

The safety difference between the new styles of turf and real grass is almost zero.

Sent from the nexus of the universe

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM
No science, just blew a knee on mid-70's turf. Grass is what the game was meant to be played on...just my thoughts.

Well the difference between what you are refering to and field turf is pretty massive and that old addage does not apply anymore. Technolgy makes strides and it has in this area. As I said natural grass is great if you live in the climate for it but if you live in a climate where natural grass is no longer natural grass but simply cement in October/November then you are better off with the Field Turf.

Griz players were very happy when the turf went in in 2000 due to the mitigation of wear and tear on the hips, Knees, ankles, etc. from playing on it in the latter months.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I miss the grass at Andy Kerr and Princeton Stadiums.

Grass rules!

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Grass is safer than astro turf, no doubt about that.....

The safety difference between the new styles of turf and real grass is almost zero.

We have a winner!

justintyem
October 25th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I would like to see the real stats on this and not the ones companies use for their sales pitch. I saw a lot of slipping and sliding at the UNI game and they have turf. heagle blew his ACL on turf if I am correct.
Dont remember any ACL injuries when the Bison played on grass.I didnt say the info was from my mouth,but ESPN and some other shows talked about it. And when the Bison slipped,it was in the 1st half,and they changed some shoes if Im not mistaken. And Heagle blew his ACL stepping backwards(It had nothing to do of the turf). I too would love to find the real stats.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Authors: Claudio, Luz. Source: Environmental Health Perspectives; Mar2008, Vol. 116 Issue 3, pA116-A122, 7p, 5 Color Photographs, 1 Diagram

Contains some information regarding the arguement. I am not violating copyright's for you shlubs, however. Someone else can.

rubber infill vs natural grass

the questions are whether synthetic turf
is safe for human and environmental health,
and whether its advantages outweigh those
of natural grass.

Apparently the health concern is mostly about the rubber chunks when being used in outdoor contexts. They can release gasses, which happens while they are being played on (outdoors), that are pretty serious if inhaled. Indoors it doesn't seem to be an issue. Apparently outdoors the fields can reach 160F when the actual temp is only 78F, talk about 'the ground is lava!'

justintyem
October 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM

http://www.fieldturf.com/artificial-turf-news/college-study-proves-fieldturf-safer-than-grass/

UNIFanSince1983
October 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
http://www.fieldturf.com/artificial-turf-news/college-study-proves-fieldturf-safer-than-grass/

You really think fieldturf.com is going to say anything other than that? They are trying to sell their product....

sgt smash
October 25th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Unless the ground is frozen.

I-AA Fan
October 25th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Grass is awesome!!!!!!! Today's hybrids are where it is at.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM

As I said-----I would like to see the real stats on this and not the ones companies use for their sales pitch.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Unless the ground is frozen.

If the ground is frozen the turf is frozen as well.

sgt smash
October 25th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Not as hard as the ground.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Not as hard as the ground.

Plus when it gets wet and then freezes the infill clogs your cleats. Think EWU game. The footing was terrible.

RabidRabbit
October 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
SDSU is Sioux Falls, Brookings, Minneapolis, Rapid City, Omaha, Kansas City, Denver, Washington DC, Phoenix

DC and Phoenix after the nearest metro areas to SD? Could that be because of the # of military and fed employees that come out of the SDSU Engineering, Geography (GIS), Pharmacy and Nursing, and of course, Ag degrees. Was in the DC area for years myself, and am likely to return there soon.

Brookings is a wonderful, vibrant community, which, because of SDSU, offers tons more activities than most communities its size. I'm envious of my BHS classmates who figured out a way to stay and raise their families there, but also very happy to have lived in Omaha, DC area, Jacksonville, FL, Punta Gorda, Atlanta and New Orleans.

Natural Grass, in sod-buster country, seems incredibly appropriate.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 10:45 AM
DC and Phoenix after the nearest metro areas to SD? Could that be because of the # of military and fed employees that come out of the SDSU Engineering, Geography (GIS), Pharmacy and Nursing, and of course, Ag degrees. Was in the DC area for years myself, and am likely to return there soon.

Brookings is a wonderful, vibrant community, which, because of SDSU, offers tons more activities than most communities its size. I'm envious of my BHS classmates who figured out a way to stay and raise their families there, but also very happy to have lived in Omaha, DC area, Jacksonville, FL, Punta Gorda, Atlanta and New Orleans.

Natural Grass, in sod-buster country, seems incredibly appropriate.

How many GIS courses does SDSU have? NDSU bounces between 2 and 5, right now at 2 :(. Unless you include things like remote sensing. They are usually a mash between Emergency management, Archaeology, Geography, Geology. Right now I believe the Geography department is the only one having GIS classes.

<==== Seriously needs GIS 455 456.

WeAreNorthDakota
October 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM

I went back to my old high school for a game this fall. Biggest kid on the team was 210.

espete
October 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
How many GIS courses does SDSU have? NDSU bounces between 2 and 5, right now at 2 :(. Unless you include things like remote sensing. They are usually a mash between Emergency management, Archaeology, Geography, Geology. Right now I believe the Geography department is the only one having GIS classes.

Looks like right now 4.

GEOG 472 - Introduction to GIS
GEOG 473/573 - GIS: Data Creation and Integration
GEOG 474/574 - GIS: Vector and Raster Modeling
GEOG 475/575 - GIS Applications

They have really expanded the whole GIS experience since they teamed up with USGS EROS to create the GIS Center of Excellence http://globalmonitoring.sdstate.edu/index.php Wish they had that back when I was going through...

Overview of the GIS major http://catalog.sdstate.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=20&poid=3063

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM

oline, there is a big difference because the pellets and sand don't freeze like the soil does and they still have some give to them. I'm telling you just what the players expressed that had played on both surfaces in the same stadium under the same conditions.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sounds like 455 is 472/473 at SDSU and 456 is 474/475.

I need GIS for use with LIDAR. Obviously with more time SDSU will go more in depth in some aspects.

MplsBison
October 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM

The point of the thread is about grass fields that CAN NOT be maintained due to climate and overuse. Not only are more injuries going to result from playing on such a poor surface, it drags down the performance of the players on the field.

Who wants to pay for a ticket to watch a DIVISION I football game played out on a muddy, cow pasture?

MplsBison
October 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
As I said-----I would like to see the real stats on this and not the ones companies use for their sales pitch.

Ah, yes, the "real" data. Thanks for so thoughtfully defining your request.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The point of the thread is about grass fields that CAN NOT be maintained due to climate and overuse. Not only are more injuries going to result from playing on such a poor surface, it drags down the performance of the players on the field.

Who wants to pay for a ticket to watch a DIVISION I football game played out on a muddy, cow pasture?

People from South Dakota? :D

MplsBison
October 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
People from South Dakota? :D

Maybe the old DAC 10 schools, but not DIVISION I.

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM
MplsBison makes Lakes seem like a genius.

It's sad, but true.

clenz
October 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM
oline, there is a big difference because the pellets and sand don't freeze like the soil does and they still have some give to them. I'm telling you just what the players expressed that had played on both surfaces in the same stadium under the same conditions.
I've played on both surfacess into late November between high school and college...turf is "softer" but the amount it is softer by is like saying getting hit with 2x4 hurts less than a 4x4....Still hurts when landing wrong, still as hard as a freaking rock.

344Johnson
October 25th, 2012, 01:37 PM

People pay big bucks to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers play on a terrible playing surface late in the year.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I've played on both surfacess into late November between high school and college...turf is "softer" but the amount it is softer by is like saying getting hit with 2x4 hurts less than a 4x4....Still hurts when landing wrong, still as hard as a freaking rock.

Correct

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
MplsBison makes Lakes seem like a genius.

It's sad, but true.
Yup, he can start a good conversation but has some need to be a retard instead of just going with the good argument he has a need to try and derail his own thread. It is sad that the inability to make a good argument is not a tool possessed by this poster.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Correct

Nobody is claiming it's a bed of roses. I'll take a 2X4 over a 4X4 anyday...1/2 as much and all of that.

Bisonoline
October 25th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Nobody is claiming it's a bed of roses. I'll take a 2X4 over a 4X4 anyday...1/2 as much and all of that.

I do understand your point. Its really the lesser of the two.

Go Green
October 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Go...gate;1875140]I miss the grass at Andy Kerr and Princeton Stadiums.

!/QUOTE]

I miss the grass at Palmer Stadium. :)

In any event, I get why the changes were made. My sophomore year, seemed like it rained most Saturdays in the Fall and Dartmouth's Memorial Field was totally torn up by the end of the season.

And yeah- the ground can get mighty hard in New Hampshire in November...

clenz
October 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
You're body can only read so much pain at once.....the chances that you'd feel a "real difference" between the two is < 3%

OB55
October 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
So does SDSU get to play on a better surface than NDSU in this game, or are they going to actually be playing on the same field with the same conditions?

Just checking.

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
So does SDSU get to play on a better surface than NDSU in this game, or are they going to actually be playing on the same field with the same conditions?

Just checking.
NDSU doesn't even play @SDSU this year. The Dakota Marker game is two weeks from Saturday in Fargo. SDSU does play Youngstown St there this Saturday. This was the taken from the Bison beat writer's article on news and notes from around the conference. He also talks about UNI and USD.

bisonnation
October 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM

NFL
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. San Fransisco
4. Oakland
5. Miami
6. Arizona
7. Washington
8. Tennessee
9. Jacksonville
10. Tampa Bay
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. San Diego
14. Pittsburgh
15. Philadelphia
16. Carolina

most nfl teams dont share fields with high school teams. and the sdsu stadium plans should be completed sometime by the year 2090

89rabbit
October 25th, 2012, 03:08 PM
NDSU's coaches must be glad that their team isn't as soft as some of their fans. What a bunch of whinny cry babies. Playing football outside on grass is not the 1st sign of the Apocalypse. Take off your skirts and come play football, of course you don't come to Brookings for a year, so whine away until then. xcoffeex

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
NDSU's coaches must be glad that their team isn't as soft as some of their fans. What a bunch of whinny cry babies. Playing football outside on grass is not the 1st sign of the Apocalypse. Take off your skirts and come play football, of course you don't come to Brookings for a year, so whine away until then. xcoffeex

Leave the scotts alone!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM
You're body can only read so much pain at once.....the chances that you'd feel a "real difference" between the two is < 3%

Well then I guess they were lying huh clenz? When receivers said it was a lot easier on their hips, knees, and ankles they must have been suffering the placebo effect I guess.

You can feel the difference between running on cement and a more cushioned surface no matter what analogy you want to bring up...and then refute...even though it was your own analogy.xlolx

There was an article on it long ago after it was installed but I'm not gonna go search for it so take that fwiw.

Laker
October 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Leave the scotts alone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJTcyqiZ44

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJTcyqiZ44

Not gonna lie, I expected your link to be this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc&feature=player_detailpage

Laker
October 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Not gonna lie, I expected your link to be this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc&feature=player_detailpage

Good one! They should have cut her head off instead of Mel Gibson's. I was going to post this one, I found it after the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A

MplsBison
October 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM

How does playing on such a terrible surface, that it's actually disrespectful to the talent on the field of a DIVISION I contest, prove that you're a man?

What a foolish thing to say.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
How does playing on such a terrible surface, that it's actually disrespectful to the talent on the field of a DIVISION I contest, prove that you're a man?

And, right on cue, speaking of foolish things to say...

NoDak 4 Ever
October 25th, 2012, 07:22 PM

And yet in an earlier thread, you actually tried to make the case for SDSU having a recruiting advantage.

Monkey throwing poo. That's all

Kegerator
October 26th, 2012, 03:25 AM
No one cares how comfortable the Bison are in Brookings. You'll play on the grass, or whatever it is when you come, and you'll like it.

344Johnson
October 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
No one cares how comfortable the Bison are in Brookings. You'll play on the grass, or whatever it is when you come, and you'll like it.

You sound like my dad when he put green beans on my plate. Love it haha

Gringer1
October 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Everyone take a moment to reflect on the fact that modern society says we can't be comfortable playing outdoor sports on grass. We are quite literally too sensitive for this planet. If your body can't handle running around outside, sports probably aren't the right thing for you to invest time in.

silkamilkamonico
October 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Everyone take a moment to reflect on the fact that modern society says we can't be comfortable playing outdoor sports on grass. We are quite literally too sensitive for this planet. If your body can't handle running around outside, sports probably aren't the right thing for you to invest time in.

The thread was obviously created by someone who doesn't know anything about the NFL or FCS, and is just making his way out of the stoneage of D2. IF that is the case, he's like 10 years too late as it is.

NDSUstudent
October 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I actually like the grass at the rabbits' stadium and I hope someday we have an outside stadium but of course that is not ideal for the milk drinkers. Now the bleachers are another story. However there is NOTHING worse than dragging your frozen skin on a baseball infield at the end of November in Minnesota. I hate football fields on baseball diamonds!

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
And yet in an earlier thread, you actually tried to make the case for SDSU having a recruiting advantage.

Monkey throwing poo. That's all

Typical apples to broccoli AGS post.

Practice facilities vs. gameday facilities.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Well then I guess they were lying huh clenz? When receivers said it was a lot easier on their hips, knees, and ankles they must have been suffering the placebo effect I guess.

You can feel the difference between running on cement and a more cushioned surface no matter what analogy you want to bring up...and then refute...even though it was your own analogy.xlolx

There was an article on it long ago after it was installed but I'm not gonna go search for it so take that fwiw.
1. I played on both. When the ground is warm turf is much softer and there is a difference. When November rolls around there was almost no difference as to how it felt when you hit it during a tackle. Like I said, your body only feels so much pain given the circumstance it is in....but again we aren't talking pain - we are talking injury. There is no study. Here is a study from somewhere other than field turfs own research - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/12/study-finds-acl-injuries-more-common-on-fieldturf/ That one is from 2010, so I'll give you it may be outdated....but here is one from last month

He and his colleagues used data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009.
They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf.
In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.
http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-leg-injuries-more-common-fieldturf-grass-210231379.html

2. I'll grant you it "feels" softer while running but I can tell you from experience it's not softer when you actually hit it which is what I'm getting at.

Every study out there also says it's almost impossible to tell how many of the injuries are related to the playing surface or something else. Although it's pretty clear that, even to this day, players/trainers/teams/etc... struggle to find the proper cleat to use on the field turf at their place and then every team in the conference could have have a different type of turf. The lack of solid footing all the time (which is a lot easier to get with the "traditional" football cleat on grass) can lead to a lot of twists or getting a cleat stuck. UNI is in their 4th year with our turf, and we still haven't found a shoe that works as well as we want it too....plus YSU, ISU, SIU, MSU, etc... all have different surfaces as well.

I like field turf...it does "feel better"....but there is no proof that right now it actually is. In fact, most studies that aren't put out by the turf companies are finding the opposite.

downbythebeach
October 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Grass is a better surface for football, you just have to keep on it.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Grass is a better surface for football, you just have to keep on it.
The biggest advantage (only "real advantage") is the fact there is basically zero maintenance to it.

A well kept grass field is by far the best option....however, most places don't have/won't put the resources towards keeping the field maintained during the year - or let high schools play on it.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
The biggest advantage (only "real advantage") is the fact there is basically zero maintenance to it.

A well kept grass field is by far the best option....however, most places don't have/won't put the resources towards keeping the field maintained during the year - or let high schools play on it.

There is no amount of maintenance that can be done to a grass field if you don't have the climate to support it!!!!

That of course is the only reasonable point of view, which is assumed in the thread from the get go. But no, don't expect your typical AGS poster to understand that. They're either not capable or they just ignore the obvious and blast on anyway.

Half the posts in this thread could be deleted because of the fact that they're referring to grass fields in climates that can support that. South Dakota is not one of those places!!

gotts
October 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
There is no amount of maintenance that can be done to a grass field if you don't have the climate to support it!!!!

That of course is the only reasonable point of view, which is assumed in the thread from the get go. But no, don't expect your typical AGS poster to understand that. They're either not capable or they just ignore the obvious and blast on anyway.

Half the posts in this thread could be deleted because of the fact that they're referring to grass fields in climates that can support that. South Dakota is not one of those places!!

AGS has a climate of not being able to support your bull****, so maybe you should just leave.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
False....My high school is very proud of our football program (the field is further north than Vermillion, and less than 30 miles from Sioux Falls, SD) and the field was in great shape during playoffs in November. It requires work, but can be done

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
False....My high school is very proud of our football program (the field is further north than Vermillion, and less than 30 miles from Sioux Falls, SD) and the field was in great shape during playoffs in November. It requires work, but can be done

Ugh. Climate and use.

You knew it. Just blast on anyway. See only what you want to see.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Ugh. Climate and use.

You knew it. Just blast on anyway. See only what you want to see.
What didn't I see?

You said...and I quote....

Which is false. I played football in Rock Rapids, IA....look it up on the map. It's a half hour from Sioux Falls, SD...which is well north of Vermillion. The climate in Rock Rapids is nearly identical to SDSU.

It can be done, it just needs work - and most places aren't willing to do that.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
What didn't I see?

You said...and I quote....

Which is false.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm sure if you put half a million dollars into a field and put a fence around it so that no one can step on it - yeah it might be possible.

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm sure if you put half a million dollars into a field and put a fence around it so that no one can step on it - yeah it might be possible.
Doesn't take a half million dollars.

We don't practice on it - it's a game field. However, we do summer work outs on it...and it's used during track season because it's the infield to the track.

It's not like it's never used other than 5 or 6 Friday nights a year. It sees action - all it takes is good basic care throughout the year.

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
AGS has a climate of not being able to support your bull****, so maybe you should just leave.

We have a 13 page thread about a grass field in a Prairie state. My hat's off xthumbsupx to the one, and lonely, MplsBison for getting this started.xhurrayx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM
We have a 13 page thread about a grass field in a Prairie state. My hat's off xthumbsupx to the one, and lonely, MplsBison for getting this started.xhurrayx

Lakes wishes he could get people to take his trollbait like that.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM

13 pages?!?! That is wayyy too much clicking "NEXT" for this worthless topic. I suggest you adjust your settings, as this is only a 4 page thread in my world!

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
13 pages?!?! That is wayyy too much clicking "NEXT" for this worthless topic. I suggest you adjust your settings, as this is only a 4 page thread in my world!
this

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Yep, use the the 10 posts/page :p

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Switching to 40 posts per page was one of the first things I did on AGS. I can't believe that people use 10 posts per page or that it is the default setting in the first place. I'd prefer 100 posts per page.

Probably did it to reduce data rates on the server. Cheep cheep.

Actually, that'd be a good way to annoy the piss out of someone on here - reduce them to 1 post per page.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Lakes wishes he could get people to take his trollbait like that.

Weird, right?

Use grammar, spelling, and have lucid thoughts, even if they are contrarian and unpopular as all heck - and people will fall over themselves to flame you to smithereens.

Don't use grammar, spelling, blather on like a complete jacka__s - and people can't put you on ignore fast enough.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Doesn't take a half million dollars.

We don't practice on it - it's a game field. However, we do summer work outs on it...and it's used during track season because it's the infield to the track.

It's not like it's never used other than 5 or 6 Friday nights a year. It sees action - all it takes is good basic care throughout the year.

Of course. It really is that simple.

Geez - all those school districts, colleges and universities that have made the switch the past 15 years....what a bunch of idiots!!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Weird, right?

Use grammar, spelling, and have lucid thoughts, even if they are contrarian and unpopular as all heck - and people will fall over themselves to flame you to smithereens.

Don't use grammar, spelling, blather on like a complete jacka__s - and people can't put you on ignore fast enough.

http://techredible.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/You-keep-using-that-word1-300x252.jpg

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
picture

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lucid

2 & 3

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Switching to 40 posts per page was one of the first things I did on AGS. I can't believe that people use 10 posts per page or that it is the default setting in the first place. I'd prefer 100 posts per page.

Probably did it to reduce data rates on the server. Cheep cheep.

Actually, that'd be a good way to annoy the piss out of someone on here - reduce them to 1 post per page.

It's the default setting because it's something I never I never cared to take care of for people that can make those choices individually. I don't know or care what the advantages of one is over the other but you can fix it on your own. Lot of dorks think I should fix things they can do for themselves but I let them know that taking some personal responsibility on the matter is the way to go.

Cheap huh? You have something like this to come be a total dick on that you don't spend one red cent on and that I and very few others have put money into to provide for you and all you do is bitch about it so it's apparent you dislike the experience here.

I'm getting a little sick of you and will likely just take away that which I provide for free to you if you don't shut your ****ing mouth. Keep it up bitch and I'll lock yourr phone out, your ISP, and every other web address you've ever posted from.xthumbsupx

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's the default setting because it's something I never I never cared to take care of for people that can make those choices individually. I don't know or care what the advantages of one is over the other but you can fix it on your own. Lot of dorks think I should fix things they can do for themselves but I let them know that taking some personal responsibility on the matter is the way to go.

Cheap huh? You have something like this to come be a total dick on that you don't spend one red cent on and that I and very few others have put money into to provide for you and all you do is bitch about it so it's apparent you dislike the experience here.

I'm getting a little sick of you and will likely just take away that which I provide for free to you if you don't shut your ****ing mouth. Keep it up bitch and I'll lock yourr phone out, your ISP, and every other web address you've ever posted from.xthumbsupx
please don't tease us with these words.....

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM

I know I already got the donor badge from FPC's fund drive but after that, I had to hit the donate button to give to AGS.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM

That's a good conservative: preach personal responsibility when most people don't even know they have a choice.

Was it really that big of a dick thing to say? Hey it's your site and you're absolutely correct, I've never donated a cent (red, copper colored or otherwise). You are most definitely free to do as you please and you've done so.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
That's a good conservative: preach personal responsibility when most people don't even know they have a choice.

Was it really that big of a dick thing to say? Hey it's your site and you're absolutely correct, I've never donated a cent (red, copper colored or otherwise). You are most definitely free to do as you please and you've done so.

If people don't know it's because they don't care all that much and if they learn something new hunting around in their usercp then good for them. It isn't anyone else's responsibility to coddle people and hand hold so that a message board is just right for them.

Apology accepted.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I do apologize.

I want to keep using the board, free of charge. Thanks to those who volunteer their time and money to keep it running.

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lucid

2 & 3

Oh and by the way, you know where I even had the mind to use the word in that context all this time? My Cousin Vinny (1992)

"Judge Chamberlain Haller: Mr. Gambini?
Vinny Gambini: Yes, sir?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.
Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Your Honor.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: [firm tone] Overruled."

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I do apologize.

I want to keep using the board, free of charge. Thanks to those who volunteer their time and money to keep it running.

you're welcome

Bisonoline
October 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM

xcrazyx

clenz
October 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
xcrazyx
I found that funny as well.....a football team made up of two schools (one being 110 students and the other about 170 students) can afford to dump a half million into our football field...

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I found that funny as well.....a football team made up of two schools (one being 110 students and the other about 170 students) can afford to dump a half million into our football field...

Of course. It really is that simple.

Geez - all those school districts, colleges and universities that have made the switch the past 15 years....what a bunch of idiots!!

LakesBison
October 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
ive been away from this thread, has anyone posted their plastic barrel port a potties?

Jacked_Rabbit
October 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Don't worry, Lakes, your twin brother MplsBison has had your back covered while you've been away... Thanks for dropping in.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Don't worry, Lakes, your twin brother MplsBison has had your back covered while you've been away... Thanks for dropping in.

Please. Lakes can't hold a candle to MPLS' trollery.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Please. Lakes can't hold a candle to MPLS' trollery.

Let us not challenge the lad!xlolx

Lakes, NoDak was only joking and knows you could be a very trolley troll, maybe the best ever if you chose to...you will choose not to however.
http://blog.thaeger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-illustrations-tony-hsu.jpg

Jacked_Rabbit
October 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
This is what Coughlin-Alumni will look like in a few years (hopefully not decades) without natural grass. Looking forward to this! As you can see, the indoor practice facility, which is first up to be built, dwarfs the existing Dykhouse Center in the north end zone.

http://www.crawfordarch.com/wp-content/plugins/vslider/timthumb.php?src=%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F11%2FSDSU-Masterplan-01.jpg&w=700&h=400&zc=1&q=80

LakesBison
October 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I call it "setting you all straight" not trolling.

Ginsbach
October 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Sounds like 455 is 472/473 at SDSU and 456 is 474/475.

I need GIS for use with LIDAR. Obviously with more time SDSU will go more in depth in some aspects.

There is no Geography or Geology departments at NDSU. The two of them are combined to make the Department of Geosciences. Even though the class titles (GEOL and GEOG) are separate, they are the same department. That being said, there is no geology GIS class - we were required to take GEOG 455. Unless things have changed in the past few years, Odour was offering GEOG 455 every fall.

Also, all of the GIS classes at NDSU focus in on using the ESRI software package (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene, etc.) which is not particularly great for doing LiDAR work. When I was doing work with Ashworth and Lewis in Antarctica, we actually worked with UNAVCO to both get a ground-based LiDAR and the software used to decode it. What do you need LiDAR for? Are you looking at using ground-based, vehicle-mounted, or aerial? If you're really interested in doing LiDAR work, I'd recommend either using UNAVCO's software or Maptek's I-Site Studio. Both of those are much more adept at working with point cloud data than anything ESRI has. I don't know if NDSU has a license or a class for those.

If you need more info, shoot me a private message. I've got a fellow grad student here at ISU who's entire project is based on using point clouds to quantify thermokarst features and could give more insight.

Twentysix
October 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM
There is no Geography or Geology departments at NDSU. The two of them are combined to make the Department of Geosciences. Even though the class titles (GEOL and GEOG) are separate, they are the same department. That being said, there is no geology GIS class - we were required to take GEOG 455. Unless things have changed in the past few years, Odour was offering GEOG 455 every fall.

Also, all of the GIS classes at NDSU focus in on using the ESRI software package (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene, etc.) which is not particularly great for doing LiDAR work. When I was doing work with Ashworth and Lewis in Antarctica, we actually worked with UNAVCO to both get a ground-based LiDAR and the software used to decode it. What do you need LiDAR for? Are you looking at using ground-based, vehicle-mounted, or aerial? If you're really interested in doing LiDAR work, I'd recommend either using UNAVCO's software or Maptek's I-Site Studio. Both of those are much more adept at working with point cloud data than anything ESRI has. I don't know if NDSU has a license or a class for those.

If you need more info, shoot me a private message. I've got a fellow grad student here at ISU who's entire project is based on using point clouds to quantify thermokarst features and could give more insight.

Aerial LiDAR, working with data from Samoa it is used to remove foliage to reveal sites. Emergency management just lost their instructor that did GIS, and ANTH did also. Geog 455 and 456 are the only two GIS classes atm. Hopefully in the Fall Quintus will teach an archaeology based GIS class. That is what I am banking on. We are using another projects data the Weather service and NPS want it for some reason which is fortunate for us, because LiDAR in the middle of the ocean is serious coin.

So what did the LiDAR do for you guys in Antartica, reveal the ground beneath ice and snow? I am only moderately familar with Aerial LiDAR.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
How do we have a thread about classes? Can't we talk about football ladies from the Dakotas??? I'm sure you can blog about this at NDSU.edu or something...

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 06:54 PM
This is what Coughlin-Alumni will look like in a few years (hopefully not decades) without natural grass. Looking forward to this! As you can see, the indoor practice facility, which is first up to be built, dwarfs the existing Dykhouse Center in the north end zone.

And compliments the Dykhouse as well. I saw a hydrotherapy area in addition to a (nearly) full sized football field. Just think how nice it will be for players to go to one building in the bitter cold winter and be able to change in the locker rooms, lift weights, run full drills on a full sized field, practice on a full sized field, then get treatment, meals and afterward study and get tutoring --- all without ever having to take a single frozen breath.

I'm telling you right now, NDSU can't touch that and it's a damn shame.

Now gameday facilities....

MplsBison
October 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM

This is going to come off as a dick question, so I apologize in advance.

How do you possibly attract grad students to ID St?? The school doesn't award doctorates, am I correct? So why would a graduate student enroll only to pursue a master's degree in a science field? What good can come from that?

Bill
October 26th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Jacked Rabbit -

Not trying to be wise -a$$ here, but I looked at the great artist's drawing of the proposed project. I noticed a baseball field in the top right section. How do you guys pull off baseball there? Is there a sizeable budget for early season road games? It's hard enough to play the full schedule in the northeastern part of the country...I can't imagine how tough it is for your school...

Jacked_Rabbit
October 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Jacked Rabbit -

Not trying to be wise -a$$ here, but I looked at the great artist's drawing of the proposed project. I noticed a baseball field in the top right section. How do you guys pull off baseball there? Is there a sizeable budget for early season road games? It's hard enough to play the full schedule in the northeastern part of the country...I can't imagine how tough it is for your school...

You are right - our baseball team does spend the first month or so of the season on the road. We actually have a pretty good team, believe it or not. NDSU has baseball as well, and they actually play outside on natural grass - who would've thought, huh!? hah

Ginsbach
October 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Aerial LiDAR, working with data from Samoa it is used to remove foliage to reveal sites. Emergency management just lost their instructor that did GIS, and ANTH did also. Geog 455 and 456 are the only two GIS classes atm. Hopefully in the Fall Quintus will teach an archaeology based GIS class. That is what I am banking on. We are using another projects data the Weather service and NPS want it for some reason which is fortunate for us, because LiDAR in the middle of the ocean is serious coin.

So what did the LiDAR do for you guys in Antartica, reveal the ground beneath ice and snow? I am only moderately familar with Aerial LiDAR.

I've never used aerial LiDAR. We used a ground-based scanner to take a detailed scan of a specific exposure where we had a good collection of fossiliferous beds to look for subtle morphological differences and to try and get a better scan that we could look at back in Fargo. Also, we do our work primarily in the Dry Valleys, so there's no snow and ice cover on the areas we're interested in. If you get a chance, ask the faculty about it. It's pretty interesting work.

This is going to come off as a dick question, so I apologize in advance.

How do you possibly attract grad students to ID St?? The school doesn't award doctorates, am I correct? So why would a graduate student enroll only to pursue a master's degree in a science field? What good can come from that?

You are not correct. Idaho State is a PhD granting university. No idea why you thought we weren't. There are quite a number of fields you can get a doctorate in at ISU:

http://www.isu.edu/graduate/programs.shtml

I'm enrolled in the geology program here. We currently offer a PhD in cooperation with the engineering department, but are in the final steps of getting our distinct Geosciences PhD program approved. That being said, there's a huge demand for geologists in industry (mining, petroleum, government, monitoring, and others) right now. Most of the good positions require a master's degree. Getting your master's in geology right now is a great idea, since we're actively employed in the private sector.

swaghook
October 26th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Jacked Rabbit -

NDSU has baseball as well. They play away games early in the season.

http://www.rleco.com/images/projects/newmanoutdoorfield/pic3.jpg

Twentysix
October 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM
NDSU has baseball as well. They play away games early in the season.

http://www.rleco.com/images/projects/newmanoutdoorfield/pic3.jpg

That is a great aerial shot of newman!

Jacked_Rabbit
October 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Here is a photo taken of Coughlin-Alumni's grass just moments ago by Terry Vandrovec of the Argus Leader.

http://instagram.com/p/RSx8CyOzdP/

Looks fine to him...

Laker
October 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Here is a photo taken of Coughlin-Alumni's grass just moments ago by Terry Vandrovec of the Argus Leader.

http://instagram.com/p/RSx8CyOzdP/

Looks fine to him...

I hope that they didn't put the Jackrabbit logo on the 45 like at Crookston.........xeyebrowx

MplsBison
October 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I've never used aerial LiDAR. We used a ground-based scanner to take a detailed scan of a specific exposure where we had a good collection of fossiliferous beds to look for subtle morphological differences and to try and get a better scan that we could look at back in Fargo. Also, we do our work primarily in the Dry Valleys, so there's no snow and ice cover on the areas we're interested in. If you get a chance, ask the faculty about it. It's pretty interesting work.

You are not correct. Idaho State is a PhD granting university. No idea why you thought we weren't. There are quite a number of fields you can get a doctorate in at ISU:

http://www.isu.edu/graduate/programs.shtml

I'm enrolled in the geology program here. We currently offer a PhD in cooperation with the engineering department, but are in the final steps of getting our distinct Geosciences PhD program approved. That being said, there's a huge demand for geologists in industry (mining, petroleum, government, monitoring, and others) right now. Most of the good positions require a master's degree. Getting your master's in geology right now is a great idea, since we're actively employed in the private sector.

I will admit, before I posted I only quickly looked at the graduate degree offerings and just saw MS under Geosciences. So based on that and the history of the school, as well as given that there is only one historical academic flagship institution in Idaho which would have incentive to block academic growth at other in-state institutions, I guessed.

Guessed wrong! Oh well, that's why message boards exist. I can provoke the correct information by throwing out an incorrect guess.

What you say makes sense, given that you can get private sector jobs. Then yes, I understand that a MS could be required simply due to competition for the jobs. I was thinking that the only employment to be had in Geosciences was in academia. Another wrong guess.

Thanks for the corrections and info!

Laker
October 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I was watching the end of the Ohio at Miami game, and when the RedHawks scored I heard their band play the school song- which was the same as "Ring the Bells for South Dakota".

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM
When asked about the Penguins falling behind 41-7 to SDSU, here are YSU Coach Eric Wolford's post game comments:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/oct/28/penguins-back-at-/?newswatch

“From the sideline, it looked like in the first half we were kind of almost running in sand,” Wolford said, “I don’t know if it was the grass, I don’t know if it was just not being ready to play. I felt like all week even coming into today, I felt good about us being ready to play.”

SouthernMan
October 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM
With all the news of how NDSU forged pot petitions I figured they were big fans of grass.....guess not.

Must be good they have turf so half the team isnt trying to burn one on the sidelines.

i_got_a_fever
October 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
http://youtu.be/sWfaMqqW2L4

sgt smash
October 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
With all the news of how NDSU forged pot petitions I figured they were big fans of grass.....guess not.

Must be good they have turf so half the team isnt trying to burn one on the sidelines.

Thats not it at all. The Bison are just really concerned about Thorpe from JMU getting in trouble again.

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2013, 12:05 AM
May it was not a well balanced surface or the process while fixing the turf was not good.So there would be a sort of mistakes happened.Also there is a kind of things that that quality of astro turf is too good to have in.

What??????

clenz
February 8th, 2013, 12:20 AM
May it was not a well balanced surface or the process while fixing the turf was not good.So there would be a sort of mistakes happened.Also there is a kind of things that that quality of astro turf is too good to have in.http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26927742.jpg

Twentysix
February 8th, 2013, 02:42 AM
What??????

looks like google translate tbh. The words are the ones he/the bot means to say, or close to them, but google translate sucks at reordering gramatically.