PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Double Standard

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Please stay with me on this, because the blatant shadiness of this is going to blow your mind. Here’s a story about potential cronyism, corruption and manipulation within the ranks of FCS college football.

As we approach the end of the college football regular season, the three top contenders for the Southland Conference title are Southeastern Louisiana, Central Arkansas, and Sam Houston State. Each team needs the other two teams to lose at least one game to come out on top.

On Monday, the Southland Conference announced the full-game suspensions of Kevin Roberts of SELA, and star SHSU linebacker Darius Taylor, from games that took place two weeks prior. In Darius Taylor’s case, he was suspended for allegedly “targeting a defenseless receiver”. When SHSU Athletics filed an appeal to the Southland Conference Executive Committee, asking that the conference review the hit, the appeal was immediately DENIED.

Now, let’s flashback to Sept. 22, when Sam Houston State played Central Arkansas, and SHSU QB Brian Bell was hit illegally by UCA DB Jestin Love. Love only received a half-game suspension.

The timing of these suspensions is also suspicious. The “incidents” took place two games ago on plays that referees did not throw flags on. Then, disciplinary action comes down on the week when Central Arkansas plays Southeastern Louisiana (now without its senior free safety due to suspension), with control of the conference lead on the line.

What’s so shady about these details? Well, add the fact that the conference’s executive committee is headed by none other than CENTRAL ARKANSAS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR BRAD TEAGUE, and it’s not hard to point out that there is a sinister double-standard going on here.

superman7515
October 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.zengardner.com/wp-content/uploads/shadowconpiracy1.jpg

lionsrking2
October 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Please stay with me on this, because the blatant shadiness of this is going to blow your mind. Here’s a story about potential cronyism, corruption and manipulation within the ranks of FCS college football.

As we approach the end of the college football regular season, the three top contenders for the Southland Conference title are Southeastern Louisiana, Central Arkansas, and Sam Houston State. Each team needs the other two teams to lose at least one game to come out on top.

On Monday, the Southland Conference announced the full-game suspensions of Kevin Roberts of SELA, and star SHSU linebacker Darius Taylor, from games that took place two weeks prior. In Darius Taylor’s case, he was suspended for allegedly “targeting a defenseless receiver”. When SHSU Athletics filed an appeal to the Southland Conference Executive Committee, asking that the conference review the hit, the appeal was immediately DENIED.

Now, let’s flashback to Sept. 22, when Sam Houston State played Central Arkansas, and SHSU QB Brian Bell was hit illegally by UCA DB Jestin Love. Love only received a half-game suspension.

The timing of these suspensions is also suspicious. The “incidents” took place two games ago on plays that referees did not throw flags on. Then, disciplinary action comes down on the week when Central Arkansas plays Southeastern Louisiana (now without its senior free safety due to suspension), with control of the conference lead on the line.

What’s so shady about these details? Well, add the fact that the conference’s executive committee is headed by none other than CENTRAL ARKANSAS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR BRAD TEAGUE, and it’s not hard to point out that there is a sinister double-standard going on here.

I will just say that while I don't argue the flag that was thrown on Kevin Roberts, to suggest he was "targeting" a defenseless receiver is absolutely ridiculous ... it's football and he was trying to break up a play, not injure a guy ... we play a ton of guys in the secondary and should be able to overcome the loss for a week, but the league shouldn't be injecting themselves into a conference race.

And while I agree with you on the double standard regarding Love only getting a half-game suspension, I also find it curious the league waited until after the McNeese game to suspend Taylor ... seems like they may be thinking you wouldn't miss him as much vs Lamar as you would McNeese ... meanwhile, Kevin Roberts has to sit the game immediately following his incident.

Bottom line is the SLC shouldn't be suspending players unless a player makes an obvious attempt to go out of his way to injure someone ... playing football shouldn't be a reason ... let the refs on the field handle it.

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
I also find it curious the league waited until after the McNeese game to suspend Taylor .

I think the Taylor suspension is just there to try and make the Roberts suspension not look as bad. To my knowledge the SLC has yet to release the video of the Taylor hit in question.

seems like they may be thinking you wouldn't miss him as much vs Lamar as you would McNeese ...

Perhaps, but from what I saw on Sat. these two teams are about the same on the field, so I don't think that it would of made much of a difference. If the SLC suspends a player because of a hit, it should be the next game no matter what unless it is under review of the conference.

lionsrking2
October 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I think the Taylor suspension is just there to try and make the Roberts suspension not look as bad. To my knowledge the SLC has yet to release the video of the Taylor hit in question.

Perhaps, but from what I saw on Sat. these two teams are about the same on the field, so I don't think that it would of made much of a difference. If the SLC suspends a player because of a hit, it should be the next game no matter what unless it is under review of the conference.

You may be right on the Taylor suspension, I have no idea, and I do agree suspensions - if any - should always be enforced the game immediately following the incident, or not at all ... in the age of computers, digital video and youtube, it should never take more than a couple of days following a game to make a decision ... either it is or it isn't.

Having played both McNeese and Lamar, McNeese is a thousand times better ... not even close. They may not have played well on Saturday, and I know they were missing a bunch of defensive players, but you still beat a good football team.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
McNeese is a thousand times better

I agree. I am just trying to fire up the Pokes so maybe they can beat the Jacks this weekend. If they play is bad as they did on Sat. though, that Lamar/McNeese game might just be a good game.

TheRevSFA
October 23rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sammy also left out SFA being a contender..but that's after we run the table the rest of the way..

Anyways..back to the suspension at hand, which I don't agree with the timing at all.

Pretty shady.

Sammy94
October 23rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Sammy also left out SFA being a contender..but that's after we run the table the rest of the way..

True but SFA needs UCA to run the table in the SLC also for that to happen. SO, the SELA suspension helps the Jacks also.

TheRevSFA
October 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
True but SFA needs UCA to run the table in the SLC also for that to happen. SO, the SELA suspension helps the Jacks also.

It does, but I still disagree with both of them.

Besides, I don't want UCA to beat SELA and then it's tainted because of this (which it will be)

Gringer1
October 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Now this is a conspiracy that I can get behind. Somebody put on a ski mask and start digging through the garbage cans at the conference offices.

lionsrking2
October 24th, 2012, 05:11 AM
To further add to your theory of a double standard, Central Arkansas' Seth Allison hit McNeese's Dionte Spencer helmet to helmet and drew a flag during the 2nd quarter of their game on October 13 (same week) yet didn't receive a suspension ... IMO, the hit is worse than what our guy was flagged and suspended for ... video below, play starts around the 4:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTutO5Y148w&feature=share&list=UUS4MVlqhoujNhKMV8SDS0kA

McNeese72
October 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
One quick question because I haven't seen the videos of the hits that caused the suspensions. Do the suspensions have any correlation to whether or not the player who got hit had the ball or not??

Doc