PDA

View Full Version : The Beacon Ice Tea Bowl

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
So this Saturday Wofford and the Citadel faceoff for the annual "Beacon Ice Tea Bowl."

Wofford has won 13 consecutive games in the series, and it's homecoming. The Citadel is somewhat burning out after a fast start, While Wofford seems to be on a high after beating App State last week.

I don't see Wofford losing this game. We're a little banged up offensively, but the Citadel is banged up defensively. And we still have Eric Breistenstein. The Citadel hasn't held a team to under 28 points in a month, and Wofford's defense has only let the pass-happy Elon offense score more than 20 on them. You can't hope to beat Wofford and let them score over 28 at the same time, especially with the defense they have this year.

With everything on the line for Wofford, including a share of the conference crown and a sense of urgency to make the playoffs by winning 2 more games, I just don't see the terriers coming in flat in front of the homecoming crowd.

I won't predict a score, but I predict a Wofford win. The Citadel is going to come out swinging and it will either be a back and forth affair, or Wofford will just pull away at some point. I think the latter will happen.

Laker
October 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
So this Saturday Wofford and the Citadel faceoff for the annual "Beacon Ice Tea Bowl."

How did it get that handle?

narc
October 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM

There's a BBQ joint in Spartanburg named The Beacon.

Reign of Terrier

the owner of the Beacon, or rather "co-owners" are Wofford and Citadel alumni. The game when played in Spartanburg is thus dubbed the Beacon Ice Tea Bowl. Because that's where the beacon is.

Reign of Terrier
There's a BBQ joint in Spartanburg named The Beacon.

not BBQ, more like the Varsity jr sort of place

ElCid
October 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I can't remember. But the Beacon does have great Ice Tea. Used to go there quite a bit for late night snacks.

walliver
October 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
We actually play better in Charleston. This will not be a blow-out, the little dogs from Chucktown will come ready to play. Although this has potential to be a trap game, Mike Ayers and his stuff still remember years of futility in Charleston.

I suspect a close game for the first 40 minutes.

By the way, it is also Boston Terrier Rescue day, and the two BT's who rescued my family will be in attendance.

walliver
October 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
The Beacon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtI6MJWdM78

SC-T-Dogg
October 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
The Beacon is not a BBQ place. It's a chilli cheese a plenty type of place. You will sweat cooking oil for a week, but its good. The Citadel scared me early on, but they seem to have lost their spark. Hope to make it 14 in a row and predict if Wofford gets ahead The Citadel will fold like a cheap tailgate table.

dungeonjoe
October 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
The Beacon is not a BBQ place. It's a chilli cheese a plenty type of place. You will sweat cooking oil for a week, but its good. The Citadel scared me early on, but they seem to have lost their spark. Hope to make it 14 in a row and predict if Wofford gets ahead The Citadel will fold like a cheap tailgate table.
Ah, the Beacon. Many a layer of paint was peeled in my dorm rooms after eating at the Beacon. As they say on Star Trek, there were "gaseous anomalies" a-plenty.

narc
October 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
not BBQ, more like the Varsity jr sort of place

Either way, it's deliciously bad for you. The blind guy that used to call in the orders was entertaining.

94Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Either way, it's deliciously bad for you. The blind guy that used to call in the orders was entertaining.

That is JC, and if I'm not mistaken, he's still there (or at least he was last year when I went in for a bite). The first time I went to The Beacon as a freshman, I remember asking about a menu, and JC sent me to the back of the line. It was also featured on an episode of "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on the Food Network. By my classification, it coud fit the description of all three.

pike51
October 23rd, 2012, 05:15 AM
For those who don't know...

The Beacon's Iced Tea is considered so good, that's it's sold in stores outside of the local area. We have it down here in Valdosta, GA at our Wal Mart and I remember it being available in several other places around the south, including the HEB in Corpus Christi, TX when I lived there several years ago. It's great stuff.

woffordgrad94
October 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
The last time I ate at the Beacon, I crapped for like 24 straight hours. The food tasted really good, though.

Concerning the game, I think we will defend their option better than they defend ours. we have Tons of injury issues, but they have some too. They will be up for this game bigtime, but we will methodically move the ball and slowly destroy their spirit as the game wears on. Wofford by 21.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
I won't say wofford by 21, but I will say wofford will score 30something and Cit will score somethingteen. That would be about Wofford's average game.

CID1990
October 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
I recommend the Bird Dog at 2 a.m.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Wofford injury update. Phillip Legrande (OLB), Kevin Thomas(ILB), Donovan Johnson(RB), and Michael Weimer (QB) will not play Saturday.

Zach bobb (DE) was already out for the year, while Calvin Cantrell(OT) is out for about 3 more weeks with a concussion.

Offensive linemen Ty Gregory and Jared Singleton are both not practicing this week, Gregory is probably and Singleton is questionable.

Overall, I would say given this report that the panic scale is a 4.5 out of 10 with 1 being cool runnings and 10 being OMG THE SKY IS FALLING.

If both Ty Gregory and Singleton come back and play at 100%, we'll be fine. DJ is good but we have enough depth at RB to where I'm not concerned, Kass can handle the offense without a relief man (as he has for 60% of the year)....unless he gets hurt, and we have enough depth at linebacker to where losing Legrande and Thomas kind of sucks, but we'll be okay with 2 All americans and a 3 year starter back there.