PDA

View Full Version : Should an 8-3 team be a seed?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
My thought is:

8-3 with two FBS losses and a loss to a ranked team - Sure

8-3 with an FBS loss and losses to two ranked teams - Perhaps

8-3 with a loss to an FBS school, a nationally-ranked team, and an unranked team - NO

8-3 with a loss to an FBS school, two nationally-ranked teams and a D-II win - NO

Twentysix
October 22nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Depends entirely on the rest of the field.

This question is unanswerable in its current form.

URMite
October 22nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Do you have anyone in particular in mind?

bluehenbillk
October 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
95% plus of the time the answer would be NO.

Mr. C
October 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Appalachian State was seeded in 2005 with an 8-3 regular-season record, with two losses to LSU and Kansas and a loss to SoCon runner-up Furman. And, as we know, the Mountaineers won the national championship.

ITmonarch10
October 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
8-3 with two FBS losses and a loss to a ranked team - Sure (Didn't this happen last year with GSU)

They other scenarios depend on the rest of the field. Their would have to be a lot of cannibalism within all FCS conferences for that to ever happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Appalachian State was seeded in 2005 with an 8-3 regular-season record, with two losses to LSU and Kansas and a loss to SoCon runner-up Furman. And, as we know, the Mountaineers won the national championship.

Right. They would fall under the two-FBS win and loss to a ranked team scenario. Obviously they belonged with a seed xlolx

wapiti
October 22nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Much may depend on Strength of Schedule.
and 8 -3 patriot or OVC or Big South or MEAC, or NEC or Pioneer team - No way

With Big Sky, Colonial, Missouri Valley, southern or southland team - Maybe

If a team like Lehigh, who has a great record, but then complains about not getting a seed and always having to travel during the playoffs, I suggest they try to get to a better conference.
Maybe the CAA will invite them??? Where would they fit?

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Some 8-3 teams don't even get invited, much less get a seed.

frozennorth
October 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
depends on the losses. If injuries are a big deal in a couple close loses to good teams, and the rest of the record is seed worthy, sure.

KATS_21
October 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Sam Houston will most likely finish the season at 8-3 with 2 FBS losses, Baylor and Texas A&M, and a loss in conference to a ranked UCA.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Sam Houston will most likely finish the season at 8-3 with 2 FBS losses, Baylor and Texas A&M, and a loss in conference to a ranked UCA.

Exactly. I can see them in the conversation if they win out.

UNH Fanboi
October 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Do they average 20k+ in attendance?

KATS_21
October 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Do they average 20k+ in attendance?

No Sam Houston does not average 20k+ in attendance.

Can you give me 5 teams that avg 20k and have the record to deserve a seed ahead of them?

tandemlax
October 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
William and Mary received the #2 seed just two seasons ago with an 8-3 record. Losses were to FBS UNC as well as conference mates UMass and JMU, neither of which made the playoffs. Those who saw W&M as overrated likely felt vindicated following the Tribe's home loss to GSU in the round of 16.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
William and Mary received the #2 seed just two seasons ago with an 8-3 record. Losses were to FBS UNC as well as conference mates UMass and JMU, neither of which made the playoffs. Those who saw W&M as overrated likely felt vindicated following the Tribe's home loss to GSU in the round of 16.

Interesting. They were the second CAA team to get a seed that year, right?

URMite
October 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Interesting. They were the second CAA team to get a seed that year, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season

Got the AQ, Delaware was the #3 seed.

tandemlax
October 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes - W&M got the AQ after tying atop the CAA with Delaware but winning the head to head matchup, if I remember correctly.

Twentysix
October 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Sam Houston will most likely finish the season at 7-3 with 2 FBS losses, Baylor and Texas A&M, and a loss in conference to a ranked UCA.

FIFY, SubDI wins do not count.

blueballs
October 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
8-3 with two FBS losses and a loss to a ranked team - Sure (Didn't this happen last year with GSU)

GSU was seeded last year with a 9-2 regular season record. Their losses were @ App and @ Alabama.

Mr. C is correct about App in 2005. App played a brutal schedule that year and deserved (obviously) the seed.

frozennorth
October 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
No Sam Houston does not average 20k+ in attendance.

Can you give me 5 teams that avg 20k and have the record to deserve a seed ahead of them?

ndsu msu jmu gsu odu

granted ndsu is only 19k

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sam Houston State is bandied about as a candidate for a seed. If they are, it would mean they either beat Texas A&M and went 9-2 with 8 D-I wins, or (more likely) 8-3 with 7 D-I wins and no wins against currently ranked teams. Should they be a seed?

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Do you have anyone in particular in mind?

His first choice would reflect Sam Houston State

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
2010 - the year SFA was 9-2 and didn't get a seed.

Sam_Kats
November 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
App St scenario sounds familiar - Sam will have losses to Baylor & Texas A&M and a last-second loss to #13 UCA. But I doubt we get seeded anyway.

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
App St scenario sounds familiar - Sam will have losses to Baylor & Texas A&M and a last-second loss to #13 UCA. But I doubt we get seeded anyway.

I think you get a home game vs a BSC school, then go road trippin

van
November 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM

Believe there will be at least 5 deserving teams with good resumes and more than 8 wins.

Sam_Kats
November 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I agree - I DO NOT think Kats get a seed. Poor scheduling. If we sandwich an FCS school for A&M and end the season 9-2, I think we're a top 3 seed. But, if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle.

I do, however, feel pretty good about the Kats playing ANYONE on the road.

Kemo
November 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
My thought is:

8-3 with two FBS losses and a loss to a ranked team - Sure

8-3 with an FBS loss and losses to two ranked teams - Perhaps

8-3 with a loss to an FBS school, a nationally-ranked team, and an unranked team - NO

8-3 with a loss to an FBS school, two nationally-ranked teams and a D-II win - NO
I think you're focusing too much on who they lost to (though the FBS definitely should be weighed), the more important question to me would be "who have they beaten'.

Every team has the ability to lose to a good team, but not every team as the ability to win against one.

ccd494
November 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
If one of the other options is an 11-0 Lehigh that has played blind quadriplegics all year, then yes.

PAllen
November 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I think you're focusing too much on who they lost to (though the FBS definitely should be weighed), the more important question to me would be "who have they beaten'.

Every team has the ability to lose to a good team, but not every team as the ability to win against one.

+1

App1928
November 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
If one of the other options is an 11-0 Lehigh that has played blind quadriplegics all year, then yes.

hahahaha. I know its not politically correct to say because those kids are doing the best they can against that schedule....but if we were honest with ourselves...Lehigh is VERY unlikely a top 20 FCS team...I think we can all name 3-4 teams from each major conference that are better than Lehigh....but I guess whoever draws them in the first round (fingers crossed that APP will make the field and draw them) will appreciate their inclusion...

Engineer86
November 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM

Wow, it took this long for someone to take a shot at Lehigh. Must be the power outages.

Engineer86
November 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
hahahaha. I know its not politically correct to say because those kids are doing the best they can against that schedule....but if we were honest with ourselves...Lehigh is VERY unlikely a top 20 FCS team...I think we can all name 3-4 teams from each major conference that are better than Lehigh....but I guess whoever draws them in the first round (fingers crossed that APP will make the field and draw them) will appreciate their inclusion...

Yep the power company has reached trollville. Every year this is said. Yet Lehi has a winning record in their first playoff games. xblahxxblahxxblahx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Yeah, just like UNI did two years ago... Towson last year...

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM

Weird year though, 2010 was. The top seed (Appy St) had two losses. As did all the seeds except for W&M. And the teams that had 2 losses (or less) who weren't seeds were 2 OVC teams, a MEAC team, and a lightly regarded SFA team (who got beat by 30 at home in their only playoff game that year). I challenge someone to say who should've been seeded rather than that W&M team that year. It was pretty slim pickings. I don't think people were shocked over the fact they got a seed, just that they got the #2 seed. Joke was on them, though, as you indicate, since W&M couldn't defend against an option running game that year and they got paired with a team that ran the option pretty well.

Engineer86
November 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Weird year though, 2010 was. The top seed (Appy St) had two losses. As did all the seeds except for W&M. And the teams that had 2 losses (or less) who weren't seeds were 2 OVC teams, a MEAC team, and a lightly regarded SFA team (who got beat by 30 at home in their only playoff game that year). I challenge someone to say who should've been seeded rather than that W&M team that year. It was pretty slim pickings. I don't think people were shocked over the fact they got a seed, just that they got the #2 seed. Joke was on them, though, as you indicate, since W&M couldn't defend against an option running game that year and they got paired with a team that ran the option pretty well.

If I recall correctly wasn't W&M ranked #2 at the time the seeds came out?

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
If I recall correctly wasn't W&M ranked #2 at the time the seeds came out?

Very possible. EWU was the #1 ranked team and they were the 5 seed. I know UD lost the last weekend of the regular season, not sure who else did, as that confused matters. That and the fact that so many teams were 9-2 and no power team was better than that played into it. Like I said, if a case could've been made for someone other than W&M getting a seed it would've been made, but there just weren't compelling cases to the contrary. But yes, a #2 seed was a bit generous.