PDA

View Full Version : Sac State player John Bloomfield passes away from injury suffered against NMSU

slostang
October 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
John Bloomfield, a JR DE for the Hornets, was taken off life support and passed away this morning. Bloomfield suffered a punctured lung against NMSU in the season opener, and complications led to a coma. Prayers to the Sac State football team, athletic department, and Bloomfield's family.

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=10731

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/29/4864768/hometown-report-hornets-bloomfield.html

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and teammates.

Laker
October 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm really sorry to read this. It is a tragedy when any young person dies. We are all on the same team when something like this happens.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
Tragic. I feel terrible for his family, his friends, and the entire Sacramento State community. I hate to hear of someone losing his life at such a young age. What a terrible blow. It really causes us to put things in the proper perspective and realize football, much as we love it, and the result of games is small in the grand scene of things.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM
Oof. So sad. Best wishes to his family and the Sacramento State community. RIP John.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
This puts everything else in perspective. Terribly tragic.

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 07:47 PM
This is really unfortunate hearing about a guy around my age passing away.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Extremely sad news. Thoughts are with all that this young man's death has affected.

So sad man.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Very, very sad. Thoughts and prayers with his family and the Sac State family. Stuff like this just isn't fair...

dgtw
October 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Goood grief, that is horrible news.

Prayers to his family.

WileECoyote06
October 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
My condolences to his family and the Sac State family.

bobcathpdevil56
October 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Prayers for his family

paward
October 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Spider Nation will keep the family, team, school and community in our solemn thoughts.

Bisonoline
October 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
Terrible news. Thought for his family and his extended family at Sac ST.

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM
YA KNOW.....AH RESPECT ALL PLAYERS....WISHIN' NO HARM.....TA ANY.......AN' UH DEATH....TA ONE.....JES' NO WORDS....AWK!

LIONFAN07
October 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Very sad. My prayers are with his family.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2012, 11:27 PM
RIP John. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

daneboy
October 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
Kind of like a punch in the gut....so sad...my prayers are for you Josh, and for you family...and your teamates...and for the safety of all the players on all the fields everywhere....and a very special thanks to you and to all that have ever put on the pads and played the game...it is a dangerous game and this is one fat, out-of-shape old guy that honors you and respects you and will forever be grateful to you and all the others for the joy, for the excitement, for the frustration and even for the sadness that comes from being a college football fan....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2012, 11:37 PM
Like Mr. Chicken says, no words. Just prayers for everyone this kid has touched over his way too brief life.

bojeta
October 22nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
This is truly sad news. My wife and I will be making the drive to Sacramento this coming weekend, and our thoughts and prayers will be with John, his family and all the players on Saturday.

pike51
October 22nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Wow. Godspeeds and God bless.

MSUBobcat
October 22nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Couldn't sleep due to issues in my own life, so I came on to AGS to take my mind off things and find this tragic story. Really puts perspective on things. Thoughts and prayers go out to all who were touched by this man in his much-too-brief time on Earth.

R.A.
October 22nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
I said a pray for Bloomfield and his family.

WrenFGun
October 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Really sorry to hear about this. Best to his family/friends/team.

AppStsGr8
October 22nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks for sharing that. What a vivid reminder of the preciousness of every day for all of us! May there be peace for his family.

bojeta
October 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing that. What a vivid reminder of the preciousness of every day for all of us! May there be peace for his family.

There was some confusion regarding John's name. I think one publication came out with Josh. Today I learned that John was a teammate of two of our players, Deonte Williams and Brandon Michalkiewicz, while playing at Sierra Community College. This is going to be a really emotional game all around at Sac State this weekend. I hope the experience is positive for everyone in memory of John.

Fordhamanhattan
October 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I will say a prayer today for his soul. God Bless his devastated family.

Sam_Kats
October 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Wow. Thoughts & prayers for the family & Sac State.

HensRock
October 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
My Condolences.
And prayers to John's family. What a sad time they must be going through.

blueballs
October 22nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Prayers for the young man, his family, and his extended family of the Sac St program... what a tragedy!!!!

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
How tragic. Prayers for the whole football family and especially for his teammates...they feel so young and invincible at that age. Prayers for his family too. Sadness.

LeeshaJo
October 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
So sorry for all his family, school and friends... prayers

Panther88
October 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Tragic. I feel terrible for his family, his friends, and the entire Sacramento State community. I hate to hear of someone losing his life at such a young age. What a terrible blow. It really causes us to put things in the proper perspective and realize football, much as we love it, and the result of games is small in the grand scene of things.

+1. Indeed.

Gater
October 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Boy, he sounds like a pretty remarkable kid. I will keep his family in my prayers.

walliver
October 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
It's been a bad year for college football. This tragedy and also the Tulane kid with the broken neck.

We are all just a heartbeat away.

My sympathies are with his family.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Citdog and i have been doing some groundwork to see if there is a way we could help this young man's family in some way or at least send some flowers and so forth. Citdog got ahold of media relations at Sac St. and had them send he and I some info. that I will be utilizing to send a donation to help cover funeral arrangement costs.

I thought I would pass it along to anyone else on here that might feel compelled to do sa as well.

We are accepting donations for the Bloomfield family.

Make check out to:

University Foundation @ Sac State

Memo:

John Bloomfield or Bloomfield Family

Mail to:

Sacramento State

Attn: Katy Logaburn

6000 J Street

Sacramento, CA 95819

Credit Cards are also accepted – Visa, MC, AMEX by calling (916) 278-7053.

Seawolf97
October 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
Really sad when a young man passes away playing the game I'm sure he loved. Prayers to his family , friends and teamates . Much too young for this .

one4all333
October 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Really sad when a young man passes away playing the game I'm sure he loved. Prayers to his family , friends and teamates . Much too young for this .

A tribute from my son on FB to his fallen friend/mentor/ and teammate....Had to share as the loss of JB has touched our family.

“John! I can't believe you were taken away from us in such a short time. It's a sad day for not only me but many who you have touched during your time here on earth. I will always cherish the time we shared and will never forget how you helped me through my struggles last year. I can still hear those words of encouragement like it was yesterday! I will always remember the time you told your story to those little kids while we did community service, it was that story which not only made me shed a tear but also helped me understand how strong of a person you were! John you were loved by so many yet respected by many more for the way you carried yourself on and off the field. I still remember the day when I complained about having to do a little extra homework after study hall and you had a 7 page paper due the next day, not once did you complain about it but simply said " ima get it done". That's the warrior that I will miss so much. You brought out the best in all of us as football players, students, everyday people, and most importantly followers of Christ! I still can't believe you're gone! Just yesterday you were telling me before my first college game "little Uso it's time for your legacy to begin" but it was your legacy which inspires me the most! I was once told that everyday God goes to his garden and chooses the most beautiful flower in his garden to serve him in heaven, and while a lot of people are hurting by your loss I know that you just happen to be that flower! JB, Big Uso, John Bloomfield, you are gone but will never be forgotten! Everything happens for a reason and it was your time to finally serve God in heaven! I pray for your family and friends as they mourn your loss.. I love you and miss you so much... Rest In Paradise!”

God Bless you John and may you keep watch over your friends and family in heavan.

woffordgrad94
October 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Very touching, one4all.

Sader87
October 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
News of John's untimely passing has been passed on to the Holy Cross football team. Still in the works, but plans are being made to honor John with a helmet decal of some sort.

There is a history between Sacramento St football and Holy Cross going back to the 1969 season when the HC team was stricken with hepatitis and had to cancel their season after two games. The Sacramento team dedicated the season to them and actually wore HC's uniforms in their final game that year.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

OB55
October 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Citdog and i have been doing some groundwork to see if there is a way we could help this young man's family in some way or at least send some flowers and so forth. Citdog got ahold of media relations at Sac St. and had them send he and I some info. that I will be utilizing to send a donation to help cover funeral arrangement costs.

I thought I would pass it along to anyone else on here that might feel compelled to do sa as well.

We are accepting donations for the Bloomfield family.

Make check out to:

University Foundation @ Sac State

Memo:

John Bloomfield or Bloomfield Family

Mail to:

Sacramento State

Attn: Katy Logaburn

6000 J Street

Sacramento, CA 95819

Credit Cards are also accepted – Visa, MC, AMEX by calling (916) 278-7053.

Was thinking the same thing. Lost a couple members on another forum I visit last weekend, ran off a trail with their UTV and schmucked a big tree, no booze involved. One of the forum members who actually knew one of the guys and his family set up a paypal account to collect some emergency funds for them, they did really well with that in just a couple days.

Green Laser
October 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
News of John's untimely passing has been passed on to the Holy Cross football team. Still in the works, but plans are being made to honor Josh with a helmet decal of some sort.

There is a history between Sacramento St football and Holy Cross going back to the 1969 season when the HC team was stricken with hepatitis and had to cancel their season after two games. The Sacramento team dedicated the season to them and actually wore HC's uniforms in their final game that year.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

I remember that 1969 Sac State team that dedicated their season to the Holy Cross team after the hepatitis outbreak! For years the Holy Cross flag that they carried that season was in the display case outside of the gym. don't know if it's still there or it's has been relocated. In his brief life John surely had a major positive impact on those fortunate enough to have known him. There will be a moment of silence before Saturday night's home game vs Cal Poly. The Hornets will be wearing # 43 decals on their helmets in John's memory. I hope that the Bloomfield family is aware of the outpouring of sympathy from FCS fans throughout the country, it might bring them some comfort. RIP John.

cmfasoriano
October 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
And it was 43 years ago... JB's jersey number.

Gotta love when sports transcends human understanding of the world around us and just connects everyone and everything for a blip of time.

crusader11
October 26th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Holy Cross reaching out to Sac State in this difficult time by wearing Bloomfield's number: http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=10747

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
It's a great story out of a terrible set of circumstances. I am now a true fan of both teams.

Catbooster
October 26th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Great sportsmanship, Holy Cross.

Edit to add: Montana State had a moment of silence before the game today for John Bloomfield.