PDA

View Full Version : Teams who deserve to be ranked, those overrated, and again...FORGET THE RECORDS!

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
People,

I saw threads and I agree that Richmond needs to be ranked now. Southern Illinois also deserves to be ranked.

It's hard to argue with the OVC being underrated. I would not put any OVC team in the top 10 yet but they certainly have at least 3 teams who should be ranked, IMO (EKU, UTM, and/or JSU/TSU). If you put all 4, I would not disagree with that. You can certainly argue it.

This weekend showed that some of these undefeated teams who have had easier schedules so far like Harvard, Tenn State, etc took losses and are clearly not top 15 teams. I dropped Harvard out of my vote and I suspect that they will drop out of the actual poll but I hope that this shows everyone that we have to look at the team and ignore the record completely.

Look at UNI. They are what, 2-5? Yet, they beat a ranked SDSU team. Let's ignore the records and not reward teams who play soft schedules and beat up on them but yet rank the top 25 best teams in our opinions. I have no problem with someone ranking Harvard #22 or even #20, even though I think it's high, but I do have a problem with that #1 vote they got. We all know they could never validate that and they had not played the schedule to deserve it.

I moved UT Martin, Richmond, SIU, and Villanova in my top 25 after they were not in there last week. I dropped Harvard, TSU, SDSU, and McNeese State after their losses.

Who have you guys dropped out of your votes?

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
You are a broken record.

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nova wasn't already there for handily beating ODU? And didn't TSU beat a pretty good EKU team that I assume stayed in your poll with 2 Ls?

RichH2
October 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Are you going to do this each week? A bit inane and becoming redundant.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
You are who your record says you are. If you are 2-5, you are not a good football team.

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
You are who your record says you are. If you are 2-5, you are not a good football team.

Easy for someone from the Patriot League to say...

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM
Easy for someone from the Patriot League to say...

It doesn't matter what league you are in. 2-5 is terrible. Either you have a bad team, or you have a bad AD that overscheduled your OOC schedule.

UNH Fanboi
October 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM

So if LSU played NFL teams every week and was 0-7, they would be a bad team? Conversely, is (insert name of undefeated D3 team here) better than Northern Iowa just because they have a better record?

I don't have a strong feeling about Northern Iowa or Lehigh, but to say that record is all that matters is a completely idiotic and self-serving statement.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
So if LSU played NFL teams every week and was 0-7, they would be a bad team? Conversely, is (insert name of undefeated D3 team here) better than Northern Iowa just because they have a better record?

I don't have a strong feeling about Northern Iowa or Lehigh, but to say that record is all that matters is a completely idiotic and self-serving statement.

That's not what I said. I said 2-5 is a bad football team. If LSU were playing all NFL teams, they they are judged as an NFL team and they are a bad team, yes.

I didn't say anything about Lehigh. In fact, in other threads, I said that a 9-2 Lehigh doesn't deserve to be in. SOS matters when you are talking about 8-0 vs 7-1 vs 6-2. But 8-0 is better than 2-6 when you are talking about teams playing at the same level of football.

kalm
October 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
It doesn't matter what league you are in. 2-5 is terrible. Either you have a bad team, or you have a bad AD that overscheduled your OOC schedule.

Sure it does. What would any Patriot league team be with that schedule? Or are you saying there's no one good in the Patriot?

Over rated teams with weak schedules clog up the rankings and prevent under rated teams from power conferences from climbing the ladder quick enough to earn at-large or a seed. This could ver well happen NAU this year.

Another example is a couple EWU teams in the last decade who started out poorly, we're 2-3, barely got at-larges, and then knocked off seeded teams. This didn't surprise BSC fans because they new how good the conference was.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
Besides, who is 'better' is unanswerable question in football. All you can do is answer who has earned spots, and there is no question that 11-0 teams and 10-1 teams earn playoff spots.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
Sure it does. What would any Patriot league team be with that schedule? Or are you saying there's no one good in the Patriot?

Over rated teams with weak schedules clog up the rankings and prevent under rated teams from power conferences from climbing the ladder quick enough to earn at-large or a seed. This could ver well happen NAU this year.

Another example is a couple EWU teams in the last decade who started out poorly, we're 2-3, barely got at-larges, and then knocked off seeded teams. This didn't surprise BSC fans because they new how good the conference was.

I watched NAU on TV last night (they were on some random channel on DirecTV. I was unimpressed. I don't think they win at Lehigh or Colgate.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 05:01 PM
This poster is a troll and the Patriot League will not get the respect of many on this board. This thread is just more of the same. Let them have their fun, thank god there are playoffs and this troll is not on the committee.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
This poster is a troll and the Patriot League will not get the respect of many on this board. This thread is just more of the same. Let them have their fun, thank god there are playoffs and this troll is not on the committee.

At the same time there is no reason to continue to defend the PL on a message board against a couple of attackers. I think you'll find out that most folks on here respect the PL like the league should be. No it's not as strong as the MVFC, Big Sky or SoCon but the disparity is not nearly as great as some WANT it to be.

The PL has 3 teams that have been FCS powers at one time or another, Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross, another who has had flashes, Lafayette, one with major potential Fordham and two that have struggled for years Bucknell and Georgetown.

ITmonarch10
October 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
I watched NAU on TV last night (they were on some random channel on DirecTV. I was unimpressed. I don't think they win at Lehigh or Colgate.

NAU just has probably the weakest power conference schedule ever. How of does a power conference team go an entire season playing one ranked team. I kinda expect for them to be bounced in the first round of the playoffs simple because they won't be battle tested by the time the playoffs roll around. Lehigh > NAU

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM
You are a broken record.

Thanks! I just don't want people to see undefeated and vote in the top 10 without looking at the schedule.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Nova wasn't already there for handily beating ODU? And didn't TSU beat a pretty good EKU team that I assume stayed in your poll with 2 Ls?

That's a tough one because I had them #26 so they weren't far out of it.

As for TSU, yes they beat them a while back. Sometimes teams get a wake up call and I'm projecting that is what happened to EKU. I have TSU #27 this week so they aren't far out of it either. I would not argue with you for having TSU in your top 25 but I just don't see the OVC as a loaded league who has a top 10 team right now. I think there are 5 very good teams but nobody in the elite of FCS right now. They could certainly prove that statement wrong in the playoffs. OVC does have a lot of individual talent! I think 3-5 players could get drafted this year easily.

As for the EKU with 2 losses comment. Remember, one was to Purdue. The committee doesn't hold those against a team. Like TSU, they have 1 FCS loss and that is what is important. All that playing a FBS team does it help if you win and take away the likelihood of another D1 win but they don't hurt you if you lose them. They only hurt if you play two FBS games and lose both because then all the pressure is on you to only lose 1 FCS game.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Are you going to do this each week? A bit inane and becoming redundant.

No. I just thought with undefeated teams that have not been tested going down makes it a good time to post one more time. I will let the season speak for itself. I wish the Ivy League was a playoff league. I really do.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM

You can't blame it on the AD. Some leagues are just better. Based on what you are saying though then the #5 team in the MVC, SoCon, CAA, or Big Sky should go to the Patriot League because they would beat up on everyone with only Lehigh able to challenge them. Are you saying Lehigh should be ranked ahead of Kentucky? You and I both know Lehigh would lose by 30-40 to Kentucky. This year the Big Sky, MVC, SoCon, and CAA are above all the other leagues with the OVC being very close but just behind them because they don't have an elite team.

kalm
October 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM

They probably wouldn't have play at Lehigh or Colgate. As for the comment regarding their schedule, it's still better than a PL schedule. Watching Lehigh in the playoffs last year, they looked like they belonged, but in general the PL will earn more respect when they fully fund schoollies. Right now, they're just slightly ahead of some of the DII power houses.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
You can't blame it on the AD. Some leagues are just better. Based on what you are saying though then the #5 team in the MVC, SoCon, CAA, or Big Sky should go to the Patriot League because they would beat up on everyone with only Lehigh able to challenge them. Are you saying Lehigh should be ranked ahead of Kentucky? You and I both know Lehigh would lose by 30-40 to Kentucky. This year the Big Sky, MVC, SoCon, and CAA are above all the other leagues with the OVC being very close but just behind them because they don't have an elite team.

Heard this all before, and the PL champ has taken out the MVFC and CAA champs the last two years on the road. The PL doesn't have the depth, but the quality at the top is not that different.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM

You have a right to that opinion but I have seen them and I personally think they would beat everyone in the Patriot League, except for Lehigh. Their RB is a stud.

With that said I believe the Patriot League is going to really become tougher with the scholarships but due to the academic requirements it will be tough for you to get the same caliber of players that many of these other schools will attract. It's possible, look at Furman, but it's harder these days.

UNH Fanboi
October 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
But 8-0 is better than 2-6 when you are talking about teams playing at the same level of football.

That might be true in the NFL, but not in FCS where there are 120+ teams with vastly different strengths of schedule. Northern Iowa would be 7-0 against a SWAC, Pioneer or Patriot schedule.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
They probably wouldn't have play at Lehigh or Colgate. As for the comment regarding their schedule, it's still better than PL schedule. Watching Lehigh in the playoffs last year, they looked like they belonged, but in general PL will earn more respect when they fully fund school lies. Right now, they're just slightly ahead of some of the DII power houses.

That might be the most absurd comment I ever read....

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
At the same time there is no reason to continue to defend the PL on a message board against a couple of attackers. I think you'll find out that most folks on here respect the PL like the league should be. No it's not as strong as the MVFC, Big Sky or SoCon but the disparity is not nearly as great as some WANT it to be.

The PL has 3 teams that have been FCS powers at one time or another, Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross, another who has had flashes, Lafayette, one with major potential Fordham and two that have struggled for years Bucknell and Georgetown.

I respect the Patriot League. I really do. I just don't think the league is a very deep league right now. It's good football but it's usually a one team league with that team being a strong team, just doesn't have 2-3 legit top 10 teams like 3 or 4 leagues do now. I'm not hating on Lehigh because I think Lehigh is good. I would not rank them #1 but they are in my top 12. Lehigh is not a team that anyone can overlook right now.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
That might be true in the NFL, but not in FCS where there are 120+ teams with vastly different strengths of schedule. Northern Iowa would be 7-0 against a SWAC, Pioneer or Patriot schedule.

If they were at Lehigh and at Colgate, I think that's 2 losses right there. Plus probably a loss to Harvard/Princeton.

FargoBison
October 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
If they were at Lehigh and at Colgate, I think that's 2 losses right there. Plus probably a loss to Harvard/Princeton.

UNI beats Colgate anywhere. Lehigh would be an interesting match up. I don't care about the Ivy League, mainly because I have no idea how to tell how good that league is.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 05:47 PM
UNI beats Colgate anywhere. Lehigh would be an interesting match up. I don't care about the Ivy League.

Doesn't UNI play in a dome? Hamilton is a miserable place to play a football game late in the season. And the Raiders have a tremendous offense. I think it would much closer than you think. Colgate would have problems in the dome more than likely (though Lehigh was fine there in the 2010 playoffs).

FargoBison
October 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM
Doesn't UNI play in a dome? Hamilton is a miserable place to play a football game late in the season. And the Raiders have a tremendous offense. I think it would much closer than you think. Colgate would have problems in the dome more than likely (though Lehigh was fine there in the 2010 playoffs).

They play in a dome but that doesn't matter, the play Valley football so I don't think conditions matter much. Colgate is the only team USD has beaten and if you haven't noticed USD is the worst team in the MVFC. Colgate has beaten nobody that would give me the confidence to sit here and say that they would beat UNI.

Meanwhile UNI has played the toughest schedule in the nation and nobody else is close. Amazing UNI has played very well against that schedule with their worst losses being by 12 to NDSU and 11 to Iowa. They lost by 5 to Wisconsin, seven at YSU and by 3 at SIU. Last week they crushed SDSU who going into the game had one of the most prolific rushing attacks in the nation.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM

8-0 likely plays in the playoffs 2-6 definitely not in the playoffs. So yes 8-0 is in the playoffs. Sorry to disappoint you. Then 8-0 often as in 5 out of 7 times beats one of you vaunted CAA or MVFC teams.

Keep thinking that the Patriot League is equal to the SWAC or Pioneer, or even the OVC for that matter.
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

kalm
October 21st, 2012, 06:04 PM
That might be the most absurd comment I ever read....

I have seen CWU teams with scholarship athletes, who matched up physically with us, beat us at home, almost took Montana at WGS, would finish middle of the pack BSC, and would challenge for a PL title. I think the same could be said of Chadron.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
I have seen CWU teams with scholarship athletes, who matched up physically with us, beat us at home, almost took Montana at WGS, would finish middle of the pack BSC, and would challenge for a PL title. I think the same could be said of Chadron.

This just in Chadron St would beat UNI and Towson at their place. Come on man!

Smitty
October 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM
I think WCU needs to be ranked.

You did say forget the record

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM

You know they have played a tough schedule. :D

Jazzman1522
October 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM

Hold on...UNI wears purple...WCU wears purple...

Yeah, rank em!

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
What does Lehigh beating UNI 2 years ago and beating Towson last year have to do with this year?

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
BTW we should not be ranked again unless we win out and finish 6-5 which is a very good possibility. I really think this years UNI team is better than 2010s and we were 7-4 and in the playoffs that year...

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks! I just don't want people to see undefeated and vote in the top 10 without looking at the schedule.

You are right...and you are wrong. I don't care if a team is 2-5 and played Alabama every week. You are 2-5.

If you want to be ranked...win games...and don't play FBS teams as many times as UNI did to whore themselves out, and follow it up with a SUB-FCS game. This is the fault of UNI's AD...period. Personally, I think as this plays out...UNI will end up with a record that is more reflective of who they are...and even at over .500...would be close to if not a ranked team.

But today...you don't rank a 2-5 team. This team 1-3 in FCS...and frankly, they beat a team who I think was HIGHLY overrated. I didn't have SDSU as high as others. So, you are advocating ranking a 1-3 team in the Top 25. Nonsense.

If they had scheduled appropriately, this team would be 3-4 and potentially have an argument to be in the Top 25...with a replacement of an FBS game and the Central State game.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM
What does Lehigh beating UNI 2 years ago and beating Towson last year have to do with this year?
Nothing....because....
BTW we should not be ranked again unless we win out and finish 6-5 which is a very good possibility. I really think this years UNI team is better than 2010s and we were 7-4 and in the playoffs that year...This is absolutely true. This years UNI team would likely beat the 2010 UNI team by 2 scores. How that UNI team won the league by a full game - BEFORE THE REGULAR SEASON WAS OVER - shows how bad the league really was that year.

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Nothing....because....This is absolutely true. This years UNI team would likely beat the 2010 UNI team by 2 scores. How that UNI team won the league by a full game - BEFORE THE REGULAR SEASON WAS OVER - shows how bad the league really was that year.

Yep...this...this is what I was getting at.

It really is a shame that the team was handcuffed by a stupid schedule.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
You are right...and you are wrong. I don't care if a team is 2-5 and played Alabama every week. You are 2-5.

If you want to be ranked...win games...and don't play FBS teams as many times as UNI did to whore themselves out, and follow it up with a SUB-FCS game. This is the fault of UNI's AD...period. Personally, I think as this plays out...UNI will end up with a record that is more reflective of who they are...and even at over .500...would be close to if not a ranked team.

But today...you don't rank a 2-5 team. This team 1-3 in FCS...and frankly, they beat a team who I think was HIGHLY overrated. I didn't have SDSU as high as others. So, you are advocating ranking a 1-3 team in the Top 25. Nonsense.

If they had scheduled appropriately, this team would be 3-4 and potentially have an argument to be in the Top 25...with a replacement of an FBS game and the Central State game.
You clearly don't understand why UNI scheduled the way we did...do you? Also, we'd have 2 D1 wins right now had Savannah State not ****ed us in the *** super hard. Have you heard that story yet? No? I'll share it. UNI had SSU on the schedule for quite some time and it was thought that game was going to happen - so much so that the initial press release on the season during late spring/early summer still had SSU on the schedule. Turns out SSU never had any intention of playing us. They signed contracts with us and Florida State for the same day at roughly the same time (didn't tell anyone) and wanted to see how the rest of their schedule played out. Well, a UNI athletic department member was surfing the web one day and came across one of the "worst FBS/FCS match ups" pages....Florida State/SSU was listed - THE SAME DAY AS THE UNI/SSU game. Well, our department called SSU and their reply was something like "Oh, yeah....we meant to tell you that at some point but didn't know when". That happened in May ish....UNI then scrambled all over the nation for quite some time trying to find a game...we explored literally every option. We fielded calls from Boise State and BYU pretty much daily according to our athletic director. We fielded calls from MAC schools - some were willing to set up a home and home (and may happen in the coming years actually). We called Drake and every other FCS school with the same open date as we did to try to set something up to avoid a D2 game....no one wanted to come to the UNIDome. We were left with no choice but D2 Central State.

Oh, and the is the fact that the Iowa State Board of Regents is trying to force UNI to be completely self funded with no state money - that means getting 1 million dollars between Wisconsin and Iowa was needed. That type of thing won't happen every year - two FBS games might, but it will be one BCS and one low level like Colorado State/MAC type school.

It's not like UNI wanted to schedule like we did.

It's funny, but irritating, to read posts like yours about our schedule when you have no idea what UNI had to go through to get this schedule.

heath
October 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Looks like COLGATE may be the PL champs. They deserve to be ranked and WILL be the PL spoiler. BTW, UNI is a top 20 team,and would smoke ALL Patriot league teams now.xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 07:21 PM

The problem is not the schedule. The problem is we lost games we should have won. That is a fact. We had no choice on the Central State game with Savannah State bailing at the last minute.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM

Because this is the same arguement that is brought up every year, yet it has been proven wrong both of the last two years. At what point, does the PL plays no body die down. Who did Lehigh beat in the regular seasoning 2010? 2011? Yet we hear the same dull argument every year. So this theory has been proven bogus the last two years, but the only argument against those facts is... That is ancient history and does not matter.

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
Because this is the same arguement that is brought up every year, yet it has been proven wrong both of the last two years. At what point, does the PL plays no body die down. Who did Lehigh beat in the regular seasoning 2010? 2011? Yet we hear the same dull argument every year. So this theory has been proven bogus the last two years, but the only argument against those facts is... That is ancient history and does not matter.

Did I miss Lehigh winning the National Championship last year? I got pretty drunk last night, but I don't think I gave myself that much amnesia. Aside from 2003 Colgate who from the Patriot has even played for a NC?

Maybe you will get respect when you win more than 1 playoff game against highly overrated teams...

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
As for everything else being said about UNI....

Am I saying they should be ranked? It depends on how you want to rank teams. If you want to do it based on records, no. If you want to rank the best 25 teams regardless of schedule - it can be up for debate. There isn't a single FCS team that could play the schedule that we have and come out with a good record. NDSU could be 4-2 with out schedule right now probably, but that's about it.

We've been in every game with a chance to win the 4th quarter in ever game except the NDSU game.

@ Wisconsin - lost by 5 and were driving IN WISCONSIN TERRITORY with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. If not for a pass that a DL got a finger tip on we would have completed a 4th down pass and kept driving. Help Monte Ball to 3.6 yards per carry. Say what you want about how Wisconsin played early in the season - very very very few (likely less than 4) would go into Camp Randall with a FRESHMAN QB MAKING HIS FIRST CAREER START and starting 6 new players in the front 7 on defense and play as well as we did.

@ Iowa - Similar to Wisconsin. Iowa isnt as good as Wisconsin, but still a very tough B1G team. Iowa is familiar with UNI and was very focused for that game. Rembmer that game was the first of 4 straight games where Iowa's RB went for 200 yards and 2 TDS IN EVERY GAME. UNI was very much in that game until late....shouldn't have won, but was in it.

@ YSU - I won't get into my "time left on the clock" issue I have with that game...but UNI had the ball on the 7 yard line going in with a chance to tie with less than 10 seconds left - and yes, the clock never should have expired on that game - YSU can thank their home clock operator on that one.

vs. NDSU - Damn this could have been different. UNI was up 10-6 with 4 minutes left in the second quarter and had forced NDSU to punt. UNI's returner fumbled the punt and 2 plays later NDSU goes in for a TD to take the lead and kill any momentum UNI had. Had UNI not fumbled that punt we very well could have gone into half up 13/17-6, and at worst 10-6. Had that happened who the **** knows how that game turns out.

@ Southern Illinois - SIU won a last second FG. Very disappointing game really. UNI was up 21-3 at one point in the second quarter.

vs. SDSU - completely dominated that game. Say what you want about "overrated", that was UNI finally putting a full game together and *** ****ing the opponent...it felt like UNI football all over again.

Again, I'm not saying UNI should be ranked...but there is no more than 25, maybe 30 teams, I'd put money on to beat UNI in a neutral site.

As for the PL/MVFC/CAA/BSC ****....The PL is good, but the MVFC/Big Sky/SoCon/CAA are on a different level right now top to bottom. The UNI team that Lehigh beat was not a good team. If UNI played Lehigh's schedule we'd be undefeated right now. UNI would win every single FCS conference except the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, and SoCon this year....every single one...by at least a full game.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Did I miss Lehigh winning the National Championship last year? I got pretty drunk last night, but I don't think I gave myself that much amnesia. Aside from 2003 Colgate who from the Patriot has even played for a NC?

Maybe you will get respect when you win more than 1 playoff game against highly overrated teams...

You come up with the most convenient arguments, it is entertaining. I wonder who will be overrated this year. :D

Wait I will get back to you when I dig up that thread where I mentioned that Lehigh was a NC threat. Stay here I will be right back. xcoffeex

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:36 PM
UNI in 2010 was a average team, at best...the MVFC was terrible that year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM

Lehigh and Colgate have made the finals.

Lehigh has struggled to advance in the playoffs because of road games and losing to eventual champs. Playoff advancement is a tough metric to use imo. UNH has faced a similar problem.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Lehigh and Colgate have made the finals.

Lehigh has struggled to advance in the playoffs because of road games and losing to eventual champs. Playoff advancement is a tough metric to use imo. UNH has faced a similar problem.
UNI's best playoff runs have involved going on the road to play the top ranked team in a blizzard and then a top 5 team a week later....one in New Hampshire the other in Texas....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
UNI in 2010 was a average team, at best...the MVFC was terrible that year.

That as a solid but not spectacular Lehigh team. They lost to Nova 35-0 and UNH 31-10. Granted, Lum was hurt early in the year and did not play against UNH. The Holy Cross team from '09 was better.

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
You come up with the most convenient arguments, it is entertaining. I wonder who will be overrated this year. :D

Wait I will get back to you when I dig up that thread where I mentioned that Lehigh was a NC threat. Stay here I will be right back. xcoffeex

Was the MVFC champ overrated last year?

If you don't think Lehigh (easily the best team in the Patriot this year) can win the NC how is your conference not bad? I guarantee every fan from the SoCon, CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky think the best team in their league can win a National Championship this year...

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
As for everything else being said about UNI....

Am I saying they should be ranked? It depends on how you want to rank teams. If you want to do it based on records, no. If you want to rank the best 25 teams regardless of schedule - it can be up for debate. There isn't a single FCS team that could play the schedule that we have and come out with a good record. NDSU could be 4-2 with out schedule right now probably, but that's about it.

We've been in every game with a chance to win the 4th quarter in ever game except the NDSU game.

@ Wisconsin - lost by 5 and were driving IN WISCONSIN TERRITORY with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. If not for a pass that a DL got a finger tip on we would have completed a 4th down pass and kept driving. Help Monte Ball to 3.6 yards per carry. Say what you want about how Wisconsin played early in the season - very very very few (likely less than 4) would go into Camp Randall with a FRESHMAN QB MAKING HIS FIRST CAREER START and starting 6 new players in the front 7 on defense and play as well as we did.

@ Iowa - Similar to Wisconsin. Iowa isnt as good as Wisconsin, but still a very tough B1G team. Iowa is familiar with UNI and was very focused for that game. Rembmer that game was the first of 4 straight games where Iowa's RB went for 200 yards and 2 TDS IN EVERY GAME. UNI was very much in that game until late....shouldn't have won, but was in it.

@ YSU - I won't get into my "time left on the clock" issue I have with that game...but UNI had the ball on the 7 yard line going in with a chance to tie with less than 10 seconds left - and yes, the clock never should have expired on that game - YSU can thank their home clock operator on that one.

vs. NDSU - Damn this could have been different. UNI was up 10-6 with 4 minutes left in the second quarter and had forced NDSU to punt. UNI's returner fumbled the punt and 2 plays later NDSU goes in for a TD to take the lead and kill any momentum UNI had. Had UNI not fumbled that punt we very well could have gone into half up 13/17-6, and at worst 10-6. Had that happened who the **** knows how that game turns out.

@ Southern Illinois - SIU won a last second FG. Very disappointing game really. UNI was up 21-3 at one point in the second quarter.

vs. SDSU - completely dominated that game. Say what you want about "overrated", that was UNI finally putting a full game together and *** ****ing the opponent...it felt like UNI football all over again.

Again, I'm not saying UNI should be ranked...but there is no more than 25, maybe 30 teams, I'd put money on to beat UNI in a neutral site.

As for the PL/MVFC/CAA/BSC ****....The PL is good, but the MVFC/Big Sky/SoCon/CAA are on a different level right now top to bottom. The UNI team that Lehigh beat was not a good team. If UNI played Lehigh's schedule we'd be undefeated right now. UNI would win every single FCS conference except the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, and SoCon this year....every single one...by at least a full game.

I don't argue you last paragraph and until the SIU loss I had UNI ranked because I agree with the point. I merely get tired of the bashing and no consideration of the fact that Lehigh can compete with most teams.

Lehigh'98
October 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
No one is saying UNI is a bad team. Comparing UNI vs "Patsy" league is irrelevant this yr because we won't play. The only question that should be asked that may be relevant is would u select a 10-1 Lehigh or 6-5 UNI for playoffs? Me personally, I'd take Lehigh, but I'm not on the committee.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Was the MVFC champ overrated last year?

If you don't think Lehigh (easily the best team in the Patriot this year) can win the NC how is your conference not bad? I guarantee every fan from the SoCon, CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky think the best team in their league can win a National Championship this year...

Conference or team, I think Lehigh can compete with most teams out there, but win three games against strong teams and this year beat NDSU, no I won't say that.

kalm
October 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
This just in Chadron St would beat UNI and Towson at their place. Come on man!

Would they? Tons of variables so who knows. Could they? Yes. Chadron beat MSU in 2006 after the Cats had just beat Colorado and would eventually lose to ASU in the quarters. Point being, elite DII's have had the scholarships, athletes and track record to match FCS non/partial schollie conferences. Lehigh has made some waves and I think it's great that the conference is adding scholarships, but until that time, you are ranked appropriately if not a little high.

UNIFanSince1983
October 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
No one is saying UNI is a bad team. Comparing UNI vs "Patsy" league is irrelevant this yr because we won't play. The only question that should be asked that may be relevant is would u select a 10-1 Lehigh or 6-5 UNI for playoffs? Me personally, I'd take Lehigh, but I'm not on the committee.

You are right. I would take a 10-1 Lehigh team too. Although I don't agree what people aren't saying UNI is a bad team. People are saying that.

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
You clearly don't understand why UNI scheduled the way we did...do you? Also, we'd have 2 D1 wins right now had Savannah State not ****ed us in the *** super hard. Have you heard that story yet? No? I'll share it. UNI had SSU on the schedule for quite some time and it was thought that game was going to happen - so much so that the initial press release on the season during late spring/early summer still had SSU on the schedule. Turns out SSU never had any intention of playing us. They signed contracts with us and Florida State for the same day at roughly the same time (didn't tell anyone) and wanted to see how the rest of their schedule played out. Well, a UNI athletic department member was surfing the web one day and came across one of the "worst FBS/FCS match ups" pages....Florida State/SSU was listed - THE SAME DAY AS THE UNI/SSU game. Well, our department called SSU and their reply was something like "Oh, yeah....we meant to tell you that at some point but didn't know when". That happened in May ish....UNI then scrambled all over the nation for quite some time trying to find a game...we explored literally every option. We fielded calls from Boise State and BYU pretty much daily according to our athletic director. We fielded calls from MAC schools - some were willing to set up a home and home (and may happen in the coming years actually). We called Drake and every other FCS school with the same open date as we did to try to set something up to avoid a D2 game....no one wanted to come to the UNIDome. We were left with no choice but D2 Central State.

Oh, and the is the fact that the Iowa State Board of Regents is trying to force UNI to be completely self funded with no state money - that means getting 1 million dollars between Wisconsin and Iowa was needed. That type of thing won't happen every year - two FBS games might, but it will be one BCS and one low level like Colorado State/MAC type school.

It's not like UNI wanted to schedule like we did.

It's funny, but irritating, to read posts like yours about our schedule when you have no idea what UNI had to go through to get this schedule.

Clenz...how many years have I been around this board. I know exactly why they did what they did. We all followed the drama around this when it was posted way back when.

Don't assume.

I also know the school was in a budget crisis for sports...and those FBS games are necessary for all schools.

Bottom line: I like UNI...really do...and hope/can't wait for UA to play them. But this was just poor scheduling for whatever reason. Forgetting the Central game, they didn't have to take both FBS games...and could have played 1 less of those.

Sorry...there is no excuse for any FCS team scheduling two FBS games...none.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
The PL ban was lifted in time for the '97 season. The league received at large bids in '98, '99, '04 and '05. Lafayette had a great shot in '09 but lost to Lehigh and finished 8-3. My point is the committee has shown the PL respect when the field was 16 teams.

The same stuff has been said about Temple hoops and the A10. Soon we'll be on the evil empire side...

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'd also point out UNI has been playing 3rd, 4th, and 5th string LB and DL this year since the Iowa game.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Clenz...how many years have I been around this board. I know exactly why they did what they did. We all followed the drama around this when it was posted way back when.

Don't assume.

I also know the school was in a budget crisis for sports...and those FBS games are necessary for all schools.

Bottom line: I like UNI...really do...and hope/can't wait for UA to play them. But this was just poor scheduling for whatever reason. Forgetting the Central game, they didn't have to take both FBS games...and could have played 1 less of those.

Sorry...there is no excuse for any FCS team scheduling two FBS games...none.You clearly don't understand what the Iowa State Board of Regents (who is in control of the money for the three state universities in Iowa) is trying to force UNI to do right now.

That money was and is needed.

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
The problem is not the schedule. The problem is we lost games we should have won. That is a fact. We had no choice on the Central State game with Savannah State bailing at the last minute.

Wholeheartedly agree with both points.

I don't agree with Clenz' assertion that you HAD to play two FBS games. Many state schools are in the same boat as UNI. I would chastise Albany if, in the future, we played two FBS games. It's ridiculous.

And after travelling...and all that jazz...the school doesn't clear enough to justify it as saving an athletic department. It's a red herring argument...and not ONE THAT YOU PRESENTED but Clenz presented.

I truly think you guys finish 6-5...

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
You clearly don't understand what the Iowa State Board of Regents (who is in control of the money for the three state universities in Iowa) is trying to force UNI to do right now.

That money was and is needed.

I am not a moron...I read up on it...and the economics don't wash. Albany, UNH, SBU...many state schools operate on a "FU BUDGET" from the government.

There are other ways to make up cashish...plenty of other ways.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
I am not a moron...I read up on it...and the economics don't wash. Albany, UNH, SBU...many state schools operate on a "FU BUDGET" from the government.

There are other ways to make up cashish...plenty of other ways.I missed it....when was Albany told to cut about 4 million dollars in state aid within 5 years?

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM
Would they? Tons of variables so who knows. Could they? Yes. Chadron beat MSU in 2006 after the Cats had just beat Colorado and would eventually lose to ASU in the quarters. Point being, elite DII's have had the scholarships, athletes and track record to match FCS non/partial schollie conferences. Lehigh has made some waves and I think it's great that the conference is adding scholarships, but until that time, you are ranked appropriately if not a little high.

I have never argued Lehigh should be ranked higher, actually a few Lehigh fans have gotten on me for being too negative. I think the ranking is about right, but I would not argue with someone who thought Lehigh was a little too high.

kalm
October 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM

Don't assume.

Sorry...there is no excuse for any FCS team scheduling two FBS games...none.

1/2 the BSC schools do it by necessity.

Lehigh'98
October 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
You are right. I would take a 10-1 Lehigh team too. Although I don't agree what people aren't saying UNI is a bad team. People are saying that.

Oh yea I guess u r right. Just reread the thread. Well I certainly wouldn't bet $ against them.

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
I missed it....when was Albany told to cut about 4 million dollars in state aid within 5 years?

Ummmm...why don't you research that before making comments. Budget was reduced Statewide to a level that finally got the four centers to act and get a thing called SUNY 2020 passed in order to allow the schools to make up the MASSIVE state aid that was reduced. Albany operates on less than a 18% State budget.

What did we do...created programs that GENERATE income in a new economy. Allowed the schools to charge differential tuition...and allowed public/private seed money to support the schools endeavors at the 4 centers.

We cut money from the sports budget while still going out and building a long needed stadium...and while adding scholarships.

IT CAN BE DONE...and to be frank...up to now Albany was inept on figuring out how to do it. Now...things are progressing.

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ummmm...why don't you research that before making comments. Budget was reduced Statewide to a level that finally got the four centers to act and get a thing called SUNY 2020 passed in order to allow the schools to make up the MASSIVE state aid that was reduced. Albany operates on less than a 18% State budget.

What did we do...created programs that GENERATE income in a new economy. Allowed the schools to charge differential tuition...and allowed public/private seed money to support the schools endeavors at the 4 centers.

We cut money from the sports budget while still going out and building a long needed stadium...and while adding scholarships.

IT CAN BE DONE...and to be frank...up to now Albany was inept on figuring out how to do it. Now...things are progressing.So...Albany was told that it's athletic deparment needed to come up with a 5 million dollar deficit in 4 or 5 years?

I'm not talking the school....I'm talking athletic department. Did the state of New York pull 5 million dollars out of Albany's athletic budget and tell them to figure it out?

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Yep...pretty much. It has been a 10% decrease (maybe more?) per year for past two years...and continuing. That is about 1.3 ish per year.

"What about athletics?

Our Athletics program consists of both intercollegiate and intramural activities, serving the campus community as well as the larger Capital Region. The Athletics budget has participated fully in the reduction process, currently managing a 22% reduction in State operating funds. In addition, the President has initiated a review of the Athletic Program to consider further reductions going forward. Over this period Athletics incurred the same share of reductions (-21.9%) as other non-academic units. The budget for the Albany athletic department was $13 million in 2009, before a reduction of 10%."

The cuts went into effect in 2009...and have continued.

WileECoyote06
October 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM
So...Albany was told that it's athletic deparment needed to come up with a 5 million dollar deficit in 4 or 5 years?

I'm not talking the school....I'm talking athletic department. Did the state of New York pull 5 million dollars out of Albany's athletic budget and tell them to figure it out?

So Iowa has appropriations just for athletics? Yall are lucky. . . This makes App States success in football at this level all the more baffling and inspiring. NC schools have to fund athletics on their own dime.

CID1990
October 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM
What a "third child" thread.

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
And the new head of our University, in a recent article after his appointment:

"Jones said he has no plans to restore any previous cuts."

Dane96
October 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
So Iowa has appropriations just for athletics? Yall are lucky. . . This makes App States success in football at this level all the more baffling and inspiring. NC schools have to fund athletics on their own dime.

Yep...as they do in Texas and NY!!!

Gotta hand it to these schools that do it.

McNeese75
October 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM
I'd also point out UNI has been playing 3rd, 4th, and 5th string LB and DL this year since the Iowa game.

Just how many scholarships does UNI give out to have LB's 5 deep?

clenz
October 21st, 2012, 10:09 PM
Just how many scholarships does UNI give out to have LB's 5 deep?
DE's and S have taken snaps at LB in games this year.

I'm thinking strictly in terms of straight depth chart. They are people who see the field, but don't play LB much, if at all usually....Looking at the box score from the SDSU game there was 9 players who are listed as LB's that saw the field...and from watching the game I can tell you at least 2 players took snaps at LB that aren't listed as LB's.

OhioHen
October 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM

A 2-5 team MAY be a good football team. I have no doubt that Northern Iowa can play some quality football.

The correct statement is "if you are 2-5, you should not be considered for inclusion in at Top 25 poll."

ngineer
October 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM

I know. This goes on year in, year out. Then we embarrass the ***** out of someone from one of the "power" conferences. Relax and enjoy it.