PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 9.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 20th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I went 3-1 again this week. I won't discuss what happened at the Rock today. Here is where I have it after today's games.

1) Georgia Southern (1 of 4) - Steamrolls Furman at their house.
2) Wofford (2 of 4) - picks up a crucial road win to keep their hopes alive.
3) Appalachian State (2 of 3) - What in the world, over?
4) Chattanooga (3 of 4) - Cardiac Mocs keep on winning.
5) The Citadel (3 of 4) - had time to reflect on their season so far.
6) Samford (3 of 3) - Chained down on the road.
7) Elon (out) - Gutted out a home victory against an improved WCU team.
8) Furman (out) - Paladins take one in the chin against Georgia Southern.
9) Western Carolina (out) - Came up a day late and a dollar short vs. Elon.

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers beat the only other team to beat ASU.
Furman @ Elon - Elon uses momentum to win again this week.
Appalachian State @ Western Carolina - This will not be good for WCU.
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Eagles soar their way into the playoffs.

Eyeballing the schedules, it is possible that four teams could be playoff eligible: Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Wofford and The Citadel.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM
As I said earlier this year, I will fully participate now that the App game is over

1)GSU
2)Wofford
3-8) everyone else
9)Western

The Citadel @Wofford. It's homecoming for the terriers, we need 2 more wins to make the playoffs and 3 to clinch a share at the conference title. El Cid is in somewhat of a slump, but knows the option. I don't think it matters, Wofford's defense will stop the citadel's offense better than the citadel will stop Wofford's offense. Dial it up for win 14 in a row.

Furman @ Elon. Furman can't play in the second half.

App State @ Western. It's close for at least a quarter and half, perhaps up to 3 quarters, but App just pulls away.

GSU @ Chattanooga. hmmmm....probably the game of the week. I have GSU, simply because I'm still not sure about Chatty yet. They have a good defense but their offense seems gimmicky. They certainly have the ingredients to beat GSU, especially at home, but I'm not going to get too wishful with my thinking.

I think as of now, it's safe to say Wofford will probably make the playoffs, whereas GSU will definitely make the playoffs. App is a push, but I think it's still more likely than not that they make it, as I think they should beat FU and Western.

I'm not sure about the citadel.

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM
If The Citadel runs the table, they have a shot. Otherwise, no. I think their dream ends Saturday, as their offense hasn't done diddley-poo against us in a while...we just seem to have their number. Barring a sloppy game of turnovers and penalties, we should be fine.

1. GSU- Eagles are going to be hard to beat the rest of the year.
2. Wofford- A HUGE win today.
3. ASU- This young team will be scary good in the future, and they're pretty darn good now.
4. Chattanooga- Has really come on. GSU and Wofford had better be ready.
5. Samford- Loss today probably ended any playoff hopes.
6. The Citadel- Early success becoming a distant memory, but a win Saturday would really be big for them.
7. Furman- Another second-half collapse...sign of a young team that hasn't learned how to finish games yet.
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Wofford 31, The Citadel 10: We spank the Cadets again.
Furman 34, Elon 28: Furples finally finish a game as they hold off the Phoenix
GSU 27, Chatty 17: Mocs give a battle, but Eagles too much in 4th quarter
ASU 66, WCU 14: The Mountaineers are fightin' mad, and they take it out on their poor helpless "rivals"
Samford: A much-needed bye week to regroup

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 09:55 PM
If The Citadel runs the table, they have a shot. Otherwise, no.

I don't know, I'd say that the Furman and Elon games are toss ups, with Wofford being a likely loss at this point and VMI being a likely win. They only need 7 wins to make the playoffs. They have 4.

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know, I'd say that the Furman and Elon games are toss ups, with Wofford being a likely loss at this point and VMI being a likely win. They only need 7 wins to make the playoffs. They have 4.

You may have a point. 7-4 with wins over ASU and GSU is a pretty darn good resume.

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I see ASU having problems with WCU's offense...call me crazy. They got burned today on every meaningful 3rd-4th down, wasnt even close. sigh.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I see ASU having problems with WCU's offense...call me crazy. They got burned today on every meaningful 3rd-4th down, wasnt even close. sigh.

But ASU's defense has played well against non-option teams correct?

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:16 PM

Yea somewhat, but they just had NO discipline today. If they could have gotten just one or two stops on those 3rd and 6's and 3rd and 5's in the 4th quarter they might have pulled it out...the piss poor execution must change before next week. WCU has a solid offense, I dont see them outscoring ASU, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was a higher scoring affair. Wofford is a far better team than Western, so I think the Apps will pull it out.

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM
ASU's defense didnt exactly light up Elon, Samford, or a 2-5 (or whatever) Montana team.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd say App State goes 7-4 and makes the playoffs. They beat Western and Furman. I'd love to see them beat GSU, but I just don't see it happening.

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:21 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd say App State goes 7-4 and makes the playoffs. They beat Western and Furman. I'd love to see them beat GSU, but I just don't see it happening.

I think so too. Furman could give them a good game..but on Senior day at the Rock for Black Saturday I find it unlikely. ASU will ride into the playoffs at 7-4 and probably get a home game to bring in some bucks for the NCAA...I wont say much other than that haha.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Elon rolled up 500 yards of offense on ASU, as they did the same versus WCU today. The app/wcu matchupnis interesting. I wouldn't be suprised to see WCU take back the jug and break the 20 SoCon losing streak in a meaningful game. But at the same time, I wouldnt be surprised to see app win in a blowout. Wcu battled back nicely today, they'll be good if they stay consistent on defense and limit big plays.

gsu_paintballer
October 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Elon rolled up 500 yards of offense on ASU, as they did the same versus WCU today. The app/wcu matchupnis interesting. I wouldn't be suprised to see WCU take back the jug and break the 20 SoCon losing streak in a meaningful game. But at the same time, I wouldnt be surprised to see app win in a blowout. Wcu battled back nicely today, they'll be good if they stay consistent on defense and limit big plays.

Are you on drugs?

cbarrier90
October 20th, 2012, 10:28 PM

Every year someone makes this post and every year it doesn't happen...

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:30 PM

Well ASU put up 500 on Elon so.....I doubt they will have any problems scoring on WCU. So your prediction is basically either WCU or ASU will win the game. I concur.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Are you on drugs?

Why yes, I have partken in a couple LEGAL mind altering (beverages) tonight :)

gsu_paintballer
October 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Why yes, I have partken in a couple LEGAL mind altering (beverages) tonight :)

A few too many if that post is any indication.

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM
A few too many if that post is any indication.

There, there, his team got a huge win today, he deserves a few.

walliver
October 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
1) GSU - They are in the #1 spot until they lose, which will likely not be until they travel to the Classic City (and that won't count).
2) Wofford - biggest remaining test will be Chatty
3) Chatty - I can't decide if they are a good team with bad breaks, or an average team with good luck.
4) ASU - When waas the last time they lost 2 regular season conference games at the rock?
5) Samford - middle of the pack
6) The Citadel - maybe their week off will help them turn things around
7) Elon - They move up a notch by winning
8) Furman - it's been along season, and ASU is still on the schedule
9) Western Carolina - my upset prediction was wrong last week. I don't expect a win for them until 2013

Predictions:
Citadel at Wofford - T-dog should make it 14 in a row, but high risk fro a trap game. WC 35-21
Furman at Elon - If FU can establish the run, they can slow down Elon's passing game. Game could go either way, but the pukes pull it out 24-21
App State at Western - The can't-amounts score points, but ASU scores many more and wins their 9th straight in the series 56-20.
Georgia Southern at Chattanooga - There is a good chance Chatty may find GSU looking forward to ASU next week. I think Chatty leads most of the game, but GSU finds a way to pull it out in the end 31-28.

Playoff chances;
1) GSU in driver's seat, will likely win out their FCS games and earn a seed. Will give an over-rated UGA team a scare for a while.
2) Wofford - Can't win automatic bid without help, but winning out will create at least a tie. Can probably still lose one FCS game to get an at-large. Injuries piling up.
3) Chatty - despite their record, they are still in the driver's seat. If they win out, they get the auto-bid. A single lose and they are ineligible for at-large. It may be possible for them to lose one game and win the auto-bid with a 6-2 record, but very unlikely.
5) ASU - GSU is only real test - win and they're in, lose and they are a 7-4 bubble team with no marquee wins (the Montana win is less impressive every week)
6) The Citadel - if they win out they should get at at-large at 8-3 with wins over ASU and GSU. A single loss puts them on the bubble at 7-4
7) Samford - Will need to beat Kentucky (and Wofford) to be eligible for at-large bid. The little dogs can plan Thanskgiving at Grandma's
8) Furman - Mathematically eliminated. Grandma's stuffing the bird now.
9) Western Carolina - Their Thanksgiving plans were made long ago.
My prediction : GSU and WC in, ASU on the bubble but probably in, The Citadel on the bubble but probably out. (Citadel may deserve it more, but tradition prevails)xtwocentsx - Socon won't get two bubble teams.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
If the last few years are any indication, a 7-4 team from the Socon should make the playoffs by virtue of the fact of not many 7 D1 win teams will be left.

I would love to see the Citadel in the playoffs.

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM
You forgot Elon in the playoff chances, walliver. Grandma is stuffing their bird too.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Well ASU put up 500 on Elon so.....I doubt they will have any problems scoring on WCU. So your prediction is basically either WCU or ASU will win the game. I concur.

ASU is next to last in the conference in total defense. That's just a slight notch above the team whom you will be playing.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM
There, there, his team got a huge win today, he deserves a few.

Thank you! It's been a few games since we tasted victory..... :)

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
BTW Chattanooga needs to win out as well.

theasushow
October 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
ASU is next to last in the conference in total defense. That's just a slight notch above the team whom you will be playing.

Which is why I said "I doubt they will have any problems scoring on WCU". No question the Defense is pretty bad...apparently next to last in the conference, but ASU still has a winning conference record. Sooo ASU's offense has done enough to make up for the D...I expect the same this week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Western's offense is actually pretty decent this year. Their defense is horrendous, though. GSU could have run the fullback dive all day and gashed them. They will score some points but there is no way they can stop App. 45-28 App.

Chatty really scares me. They seem to finally have it together and have an identity on offense and our defense didn't look quite so immovable against Furman. Just don't tell Chattown I said that, please.

Wofford and El Cid will be interesting. Cid's defense hasn't really impressed but they can probably play the option better than offenses like Chatty and Western and App. 28-13 ankle biters. How wonky would it be BTW if El Cid starts the season off with wins over GSU and App. and finished 3-5 in conference?

The Furples bounce back against Elon...28-14 win for them.

phoenix3
October 21st, 2012, 07:47 AM

ASU did put up 450 total on Elon but Elon put up 491 on ASU. Not saying ASU will lose to WCU. Point is, WCU will gain yardage on ASU without a doubt. They won't take care of the ball well enough to win though.

OL FU
October 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
I think Elon passes the ballxconfusedx

We're sunk:o

walliver
October 21st, 2012, 07:54 AM
I think Elon passes the ballxconfusedx

We're sunk:o

But they can't stop a run, you still have a chance.

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
One thing not mentioned so far in the Mocs recent success is the fact that they haven't turned the ball over in the last 3 games (and only have 5 turnovers for the season)

asumike83
October 21st, 2012, 10:53 AM
As I said earlier this year, I will fully participate now that the App game is over

1)GSU
2)Wofford
3-8) everyone else
9)Western

Do you honestly think there is no difference between the 3rd to 8th place teams in the conference?

kdinva
October 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
The Citadel 23@ Wofford 34
Furman 24 @ Elon 27
Appalachian State 52 @ Western Carolina 13
Georgia Southern 37 @ Chattanooga 24

blueballs
October 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM
One thing not mentioned so far in the Mocs recent success is the fact that they haven't turned the ball over in the last 3 games (and only have 5 turnovers for the season)

That is a HUGE but often overlooked stat... heck, if GSU could say the same thing they would have won every game by at least two scores and we'd all be saying how great they were.

There was an old saying in softball... more games are lost rather than won, which is to say the losing team often makes the mistakes that make them lose rather than the other team just lining up and beating them.

ASU_Fanatic
October 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
1. Georgia Southern - no questions here
2. Wofford - looked better than App yesterday, clearly second best
3. App - look to be 1 year away. Still third best in conference and are very dangerous
4. Chatty - starting to play very well
5. Citadel - still have a chance to make the playoffs
6. Samford - another tough loss for them yesterday, starting to fall apart
7. Furman - held their ground for a while yesterday but GaSo was clearly better
8. Elon - held on against WCU yesterday
9. WCU - tried to come back yesterday but early deficit was too much, poor WCU

Citadel 17 @ Wofford 31 - a late Wofford TD will make score look worse than it was
Furman 26 @ Elon 31 - this should be a very good game but I like Elon to take it at home
App State 55 @ WCU 28 - Western will score, but App will score much, much, much more. Won't even be close
GaSo 21 @ Chatty 17 - Chatty has life again and this is not a gimme' for GaSo. I think they'll somehow find a way to snag this win though

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM
Do you honestly think there is no difference between the 3rd to 8th place teams in the conference?

A better way of putting it would be 3-6 being on equal ground, but I have blind faith in the furpes and the Felons to sneak up on anyone.

whoanellie
October 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
Elon could win out the rest of their season and be 7-4 with 3 losses to top 10 teams. It would be a great feat but if you have seen any videos of Aaron Mellette over the last 2 weeks it would be a shame to leave him out of a play-off game w/ his teammates. just say'n.
If the last few years are any indication, a 7-4 team from the Socon should make the playoffs by virtue of the fact of not many 7 D1 win teams will be left.

I would love to see the Citadel in the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Elon could win out the rest of their season and be 7-4 with 3 losses to top 10 teams. It would be a great feat but if you have seen any videos of Aaron Mellette over the last 2 weeks it would be a shame to leave him out of a play-off game w/ his teammates. just say'n.

Elon wouldn't have 7 D1 wins, that's why they get left out.

ElonFirefighter
October 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
I think what he was saying is that a 7 win 6 d1 team could get in

ElonPride
October 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM

With Furman, Samford, UTC & El Cid left on the schedule, it would be a heck of a feat to win out. The conference, top to bottom, is more competitive than in recent memory.

walliver
October 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM

West Virginia State is d-II, that game does't count. The best you can finish against D-I competition in 6-4.

Even if your could get around this, there is no "big win". Losing to good teams doesn't earn you much respect.

There are a lot of great athletes at FCS level who miss out on the play-offs. It is a team sport, and only teams go to the playoffs. Aaron Mellette will have an opportunity to play lots of football on Sundays.

Eagle22
October 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I too, went 3-1 again on the week. I had picked App in a close one at home, but it didn't completely surprise me to see Wofford perform well this go round in Boone.

1) Georgia Southern - Woke up after a sluggish first half, played good enough to tick off the Furman fans
2) Wofford - Still a fair shot at a share of the conference crown
3) Chattanooga - Mocs add more momentum in anticipation of big home game vs. GSU
4) Appalachian - Home field mystique takes second hit of the season, still time for the Mountaineers to regroup
5) The Citadel - Off week curiously enough, may define their season. How do they finish ?
6) Samford - The air is leaking out of the balloon.
7) Furman - Much better team than the record indicates, but can't put together four quarters in a single game for some reason.
8) Elon - Hard to see this team being better next year, losing Mallette and Wilson. 48 Freshmen and R. Freshmen on the team. Might be 2014 before this team seriously contends again in conference.
9) Western Carolina - Win vs. App would make the season.

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford - Citadel free fall resumes
Furman @ Elon - Tough call, Furman wins one they probably shouldn't.
Appalachian State @ Western Carolina - App looks like world beaters again
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Eagles slip by the Mocs 28-27 ;)

atlfcsfan
October 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
1. Ga Southern
2. Wofford
3. App State
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Citadel
7 Furman
8. Elon
9. W Carolina

App 31 W Carolina 14
Furman 21 Elon 28
GSU 14 Chattanooga 10
Wofford 24 Citadel 21

GATA_Eagles
October 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
3-1 last week saying that Samford would overtake Chattanooga...here we go:

1) Georgia Southern - Win versus Furman. Still sits on top
2) Wofford - If GSU slips up, they still have a shot at winning the SoCon. Strong perfomance in Boone.
3) Appalachian State - Loss at home to a better team but overtook Chatty earlier in the season so they deserve to be ranked higher.
4) Chattanooga - Hottest team in the SoCon right now. Looking forward to making the trip up from Statesboro Saturday.
5) Samford - Started off strong and has lost to all of the above (minus Wofford). Enjoying a BYE week this week.
6) The Citadel - Coming off of a BYE week. Don't see them beating Wofford.
7) Elon - Dangerous team if you turn the ball over. Mallette is a weapon.
8) Furman - Can play any team tough for the first half then seems to fall apart.
9) Western Carolina - Attempted a comeback versus Elon but fell short.

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford
Furman @ Elon
Appalachian State @ Western Carolina
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga

chattownmocs
October 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

gsu_paintballer
October 21st, 2012, 07:03 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

I haven't been posting here long (posted a while back and didn't become a "regular" until recently), but I'm already starting to like you.

CID1990
October 21st, 2012, 07:03 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Chatty isn't even going to get 7 D1 wins this season, so not sure whose pole you are smoking.

Going to be a riot when a team that lost a game to Chatty gets the 2nd at large bid to the playoffs and UTC sits home.

GATA
October 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

No surprise here. Chatty has been the best team in the country for the last 3 years. I just wish the playoff committee could see past that and put a 5/6 win team in the playoffs, you know?

It's like they have something against Chatty.

dungeonjoe
October 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina
A lack of passion for your team is not a problem for you.

dungeonjoe
October 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM
I went 3-1 again this week. I won't discuss what happened at the Rock today. Here is where I have it after today's games.

1) Georgia Southern (1 of 4) - Steamrolls Furman at their house.
2) Wofford (2 of 4) - picks up a crucial road win to keep their hopes alive.
3) Appalachian State (2 of 3) - What in the world, over?
4) Chattanooga (3 of 4) - Cardiac Mocs keep on winning.
5) The Citadel (3 of 4) - had time to reflect on their season so far.
6) Samford (3 of 3) - Chained down on the road.
7) Elon (out) - Gutted out a home victory against an improved WCU team.
8) Furman (out) - Paladins take one in the chin against Georgia Southern.
9) Western Carolina (out) - Came up a day late and a dollar short vs. Elon.

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers beat the only other team to beat ASU.
Furman @ Elon - Elon uses momentum to win again this week.
Appalachian State @ Western Carolina - This will not be good for WCU.
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - Eagles soar their way into the playoffs.

Eyeballing the schedules, it is possible that four teams could be playoff eligible: Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Wofford and The Citadel.
+1

TheEagleWay
October 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Appalachian State
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Right....

catamount man
October 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Chattanooga
4) App State
5) Samford
6) Citadel
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) WCU

GSU 38 UTC 10
Wofford 44 Citadel 21
Furman 17 Elon 16
WCU 45 APP 44 (Hey, we gotta win a conference game sometime. After the Elon game, Speir essentially stated WCU's freshmen class is the heart and soul of the team. He recruited 16, 12 have played, and 9 started against Elon.)

elon77
October 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Chattanooga
4) App State
5) Samford
6) Citadel
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) WCU

GSU 38 UTC 10
Wofford 44 Citadel 21
Furman 17 Elon 16
WCU 45 APP 44 (Hey, we gotta win a conference game sometime. After the Elon game, Speir essentially stated WCU's freshmen class is the heart and soul of the team. He recruited 16, 12 have played, and 9 started against Elon.)
You just gave up 42 points to Elon and you think Furman will hold them to 16? Interesting. They could score 16 in the first quarter.

fc97
October 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
West Virginia State is d-II, that game does't count. The best you can finish against D-I competition in 6-4.

Even if your could get around this, there is no "big win". Losing to good teams doesn't earn you much respect.

There are a lot of great athletes at FCS level who miss out on the play-offs. It is a team sport, and only teams go to the playoffs. Aaron Mellette will have an opportunity to play lots of football on Sundays.

no offense but theres no rule stating a 6 win d-i team or less cant get an at-large. the committee has said that thats a line but a loose line and a guidline only. if there was a seven win tesm with only top 20 and bcs loss that ended on a 5 game winning streak, it is possible.

don't take this as any endorsement that i think elon or utc would be in for this. i don't, but a school like app or gsu, i bet it would happen.

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM
no offense but theres no rule stating a 6 win d-i team or less cant get an at-large. the committee has said that thats a line but a loose line and a guidline only. if there was a seven win tesm with only top 20 and bcs loss that ended on a 5 game winning streak, it is possible.

don't take this as any endorsement that i think elon or utc would be in for this. i don't, but a school like app or gsu, i bet it would happen.

considering Wofford in the past has finished 9-3, 8-3, and 7-4 in the last 10 years, all with 7 D1 wins, I would more than guarantee that Elon won't get in especially since every single one of the aforementioned teams had a better resume than the current Elon team.

Granted, the bracket has expanded, but anyone paying attention the last 2 years can see that the 7 win threshold is the deciding factor of whether or not one is in or not.

How many times all time has a team not had 7 D1 wins, not won their conference, and still made the playoffs? I would wager that that number is extremely low, if existent at all.

md64179
October 22nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
GSU
Wofford
APP
UTC
Samford
Cid
Furman
Elon
WCU

GSU
Wofford
APP
Furman

cbarrier90
October 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
considering Wofford in the past has finished 9-3, 8-3, and 7-4 in the last 10 years, all with 7 D1 wins, I would more than guarantee that Elon won't get in especially since every single one of the aforementioned teams had a better resume than the current Elon team.

Granted, the bracket has expanded, but anyone paying attention the last 2 years can see that the 7 win threshold is the deciding factor of whether or not one is in or not.

How many times all time has a team not had 7 D1 wins, not won their conference, and still made the playoffs? I would wager that that number is extremely low, if existent at all.

It really gets interesting if Wofford slips up in the next three weeks (a possibility, though they should be favored in all their games) and Appalachian somehow pulls out an upset in Statesboro. That would leave three teams at the top of the conference with 2 losses and identical resumes, however, Wofford would be the only one with a D-II team on the schedule. It depends on how the committee feels, but I'm not so sure there is enough in the SoCon to warrant three bids. If that's the case, Wofford still ends up on the outside looking in.

To sum it up, you need to become youngeagle in 2 weeks or you could wind up mightily disappointed come selection time.

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM

no offense man, but did you read my post? i don't think it'll happen for sure. but a 9-3, 8-3 and 7-4 wofford isn't what i said. the 7-4 wofford team won 5 straight to end the season, but also lost to coastal carolina, not a top ten team. the 9-3 wofford team lost 1 of their last two and lost to vmi. the 8-3 lost 1 of their last 2, and 2 of their last 5. none of that is the same as losing to 3 top ten teams, two by a combined handful of points, and a good fbs team and the winning the last 5 straight.

and, like i said in my post. if this was a school that got major attendance numbers like a jmu, app, montana, gsu type of school then i could all but guarantee to you that this 7 win thing wouldn't matter.

i really don't know how you took me saying it wasn't a rule and spun it into a me saying elon or utc would benefit from it. they won't. but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't a rule. it is a recommendation only. and there isn't enough data with the expanded playoffs to make an assumption that they stick to it or not.

blueballs
October 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
FC97, GSU sat home after 7-4 seasons in 2003 and 2007 (when the field was 16). They made it with a 7-4 season in 2010(when the field was 20).... it is far from a sure thing.

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
exactly, if you have the tradition and numbers, i think you make it.

elon and utc, no matter what, dont have the tradition or the attendance numbers to pull it off even in the best case.

ElonPride
October 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
After the Elon game, Speir essentially stated WCU's freshmen class is the heart and soul of the team. He recruited 16, 12 have played, and 9 started against Elon.)

I stated it in another thread, but you guys look to have a bright future. You look to have the offense, but need to fix some defensive issues.

Apphole
October 22nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Love all the vindictive posters putting UTC over App. There is actually no rational reason to do so. It's all out of spite.

1. GaSo
2. Woffy
3. App
4. UTC
5. Lil Sammy
6. El Cid
7. Furple
8. fElon
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts

GaSo UTC
Furman Elon
App Western
Wofford Citadel

ElCid
October 22nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
1 - GSU – On a roll
2 - Wofford – Gets it done even on the road
3 - ASU – Still to be feared
4 - UTC – Firming up
5 - Samford – two tough loses in a row
6 - The Citadel – Defense may let season slip away
7 - Elon – Sloppiness fading a bit
8 - Furman – lots of issues
9 - Western Carolina – Losing, but they are much improved

Predictions:
Citadel @ Wofford – The Bulldogs can’t shake this Terrier demon, 41-20
Furman @ Elon – Elon finding its stride, 37-27
App State @ Western – Can Western catch App St. looking ahead? Nope 48-21
Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga – Can Mocs catch Ga So looking ahead? Almost 31-26

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
exactly, if you have the tradition and numbers, i think you make it.

elon and utc, no matter what, dont have the tradition or the attendance numbers to pull it off even in the best case.

UTC would get at least 20,000 to a home playoff game.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Love all the vindictive posters putting UTC over App. There is actually no rational reason to do so. It's all out of spite.

1. GaSo
2. Woffy
3. App
4. UTC
5. Lil Sammy
6. El Cid
7. Furple
8. fElon
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts

GaSo UTC
Furman Elon
App Western
Wofford Citadel

Lol what? Chattanooga is 3-1 App State is what again? Rationalize that reject.

Go Apps
October 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM

Hey you have plenty of losses ahead - just win out and you can speak - or if you lose you will disappear like normal - I will take the latter

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
continuing the massey ratings from all year

7- gsu
10- wofford
19- app
24- utc
30- the citadel
34- samford
48- elon
57- furman
70- western

117- davidson

i don't care what anyone says, this isnt a top heavy socon this year. in fact, this is as high as all the teams on the whole have been in well over a decade. even elon, furman and western struggling are not doing terrible when you factor in power for the whole of fcs. all teams in the top 70 is good considering poor elon, western and etsu teams last decade would have been in the 100s.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hey you have plenty of losses ahead - just win out and you can speak - or if you lose you will disappear like normal - I will take the latter

I bet we will lose to Elon and and Western Carolina right? At the very worst Chattanooga will finish with an equal conference record as App State.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM

Chattanooga has yet to play the top two teams in the conference and Appalachian won handily at your place. If UTC pulls off the upset this weekend, I will move them ahead.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Samford
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Furman
9) Western Carolina

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford
Furman @ Elon

walliver
October 22nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
continuing the massey ratings from all year

7- gsu
10- wofford
19- app
24- utc
30- the citadel
34- samford
48- elon
57- furman
70- western

117- davidson

i don't care what anyone says, this isnt a top heavy socon this year. in fact, this is as high as all the teams on the whole have been in well over a decade. even elon, furman and western struggling are not doing terrible when you factor in power for the whole of fcs. all teams in the top 70 is good considering poor elon, western and etsu teams last decade would have been in the 100s.

Western hasn't won a single FCS game this year. They are ranked 70 because of who they lost to. Losing to good teams does not make your team a good team. Other than Citadel's wins over Appy and GSU, there are few, if any, wins by lower half teams over upper half teams.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Chattanooga has yet to play the top two teams in the conference and Appalachian won handily at your place. If UTC pulls off the upset this weekend, I will move them ahead.

There is a much much much better argument for Citadel being ranked ahead of yall than yall ahead of us.

Eaglesrus
October 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
UTC would get at least 20,000 to a home playoff game.

What evidence do you have to back that statement up?

Apphole
October 22nd, 2012, 12:19 PM

3-1? It's week 9. xlolx

We blew your team out at home and have only lost once in the past 5 weeks. That loss came down to the last play and it was against at top 10 team.

Check the signature, douche. Tip your hat, call me daddy and (I posted something in this space that was so unimaginative that ursus took it off the FCSD so that I would not embarrass myself with it).

Thank you ursus!

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
What evidence do you have to back that statement up?

We get 15-20K for App State and GSU as it is. We aren't relying on student turnout for that either. There would be a massive turnout for a home playoff game. It isn't hard to figure out. The fact that I have to explain that to you you shows your ignorance.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
3-1? It's week 9. xlolx

We blew your team out at home and have only lost once in the past 5 weeks. That loss came down to the last play and it was against at top 10 team.

Check the signature, douche. Tip your hat, call me daddy and (I posted something in this space that was so unimaginative that ursus took it off the FCSD so that I would not embarrass myself with it).

Thank you ursus!

Ya'll were blown out far far far worse at home by the Citadel and they actually have the same conference record not an inferior one. hmmmm.

T-Dog
October 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
This week's TPoEE looks at the Wofford loss blow by blow and then a look ahead at the Whee Kitties.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeecmatwmo/

This week's predictions.

Georgia Southern @ Chattanooga - 28-14 - Sorry Moc fans, not happening.
Furman @ Elon - Elon currently looks better.
Appalachian State @ Western Carolina - 42-14 - Not this year Western.
Wofford @ Citadel - 35-7 - El Cit's woes continue.

Eagle11
October 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
We get 15-20K for App State and GSU as it is. We aren't relying on student turnout for that either. There would be a massive turnout for a home playoff game. It isn't hard to figure out. The fact that I have to explain that to you you shows your ignorance.

Your biggest crowd this year was App State. A grand total of 13,700 showed up. Your other two home games had less than 10k. Not exactly 15-20k

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
3-1? It's week 9. xlolx

Thank you ursus!

Your's welcome.

bjtheflamesfan
October 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
good eye UAH...

Also I think chattown was referring to their conference record if apphole was being more observant

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
1. Georgia Southern - Enough said.
2. Wofford - Looked slow but effective against App. Underated defense.
3. App - Dangerous but too inexperienced on the o and d lines at this point. Rebuilding year with young team.
4. Chatty - Offense starting to help their good defense out alittle. Is it too late??
5. Citadel - Can the Bellhops get their mojo back??
6. Samford - Starting to resemble Sammy teams from years past....competitive but just can't get over the hump in big games.
7. Furman - Disapointing year continues.
8. Elon - Great passing attack but little else. Can't win in this league as one trick pony. Young team will be better next year.
9. WCU - Spier will need a couple of years to fix this terrible mess. Team has a pulse this year and offense is not terrible. Might have found their QB finally. They have a chance against the Apps this week which is usually not the case.

Citadel 27 @ Wofford 28 - Wofford's offense is tired from running up and down the field against. This is the slowest option team I've seen yet they were good enough to whip App's defense.
Furman 17 @ Elon 21 - Furple can't control Wilson and the Elon passing game enough to win.
App State 48 @ WCU 31 - Track meet breaks out but App still has more athletes than the Whee. JJ has 400+ passing yards as Peacock, Washington, Price and Jones run wild in the secondary.
GaSo 28 @ Chatty 17 - A real slugfest but GaSo's defense just a little too good for Mocs.

Eaglesrus
October 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM

Sorry, but you really didn't explain much to me. How many of those are App State and GSU fans? How many are you going to have if your opponent is, say, Stony Brook?

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
There is a much much much better argument for Citadel being ranked ahead of yall than yall ahead of us.

Sure, we have the same conference record and they whipped us head to head. However, I rank them based on who I think the best team is. After the game with The Citadel, I certainly had them ranked ahead of ASU. Since then, App has won 4 of 5 with the lone loss coming in a hard fought game with a top 5 team. El Cid has lost 3 of 4, with the lone win coming at home against Western in a game that was tied going into the 4th quarter. Chatty is on a nice roll and if they take out GSU, I'll have them leapfrog Appalachian heading into our game in Statesboro.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM

You guys have drawn just over 20K combined for your last two home games, one of which was against App and was your Homecoming.

gsu2583
October 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm436/gsu2583/goodone1_zps9c8e1d47.gif

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Western hasn't won a single FCS game this year. They are ranked 70 because of who they lost to. Losing to good teams does not make your team a good team. Other than Citadel's wins over Appy and GSU, there are few, if any, wins by lower half teams over upper half teams.

there's a big difference between losing by 1-2 touchdowns than losing by 4-5 touchdowns.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Oh geez. This isnt boone or statesboro. This is chattanooga. Attendance is not based on students or alumni it is based on sidewalk fans. The bigger the game the more people will show up. The program has lost some momentum because of dissapointing results. A playoff appearance would gain it all back plus some. Thos weekend will be a nice crowd of at least 15k because of the win streak . The southern rail rivalry cannot compete with the third saturday in october in thos town. A playoff game would bring out the masses. dont be stupid.

Sandlapper Spike
October 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
What's the over/under on the WCU-App game, 90?

I like GSU and Elon to both win close games. The Citadel has lost yet another linebacker for the season; I'm not sure even the bye week will be enough to prepare the replacement LBs for this week's game.

Ga Southern Eagles
October 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Whoa there little chattomocs...when you finally get some play off experience you will see how this attendance thing actually works. If you cant get 15 -20 against your rivals in the reg season you will never get it at a playoff game. One day you too will be experienced enough to know these things.

Eaglesrus
October 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Whoa there little chattomocs...when you finally get some play off experience you will see how this attendance thing actually works. If you cant get 15 -20 against your rivals in the reg season you will never get it at a playoff game. One day you too will be experienced enough to know these things.

Yeah, he really is showing just how little he knows about the playoffs, but I can't fault him for that.

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Chattanooga is a town with a metro population of around half a million. It has 4 local news tv station, 3 local sports radio stations, and at least 3 newspapers that all cover the Mocs. This is not a college town. I don't know the exact numbers but the vast majority of students are from the metro area I am sure. This is not Boone or Statesboro once again. It's not most FCS college towns. See in sports, the playoffs are a bigger deal than the regular season. They draw more attention and they have more riding on the games. The playoffs in this town would be a big deal.

Apphole
October 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Chattanooga is a town with a metro population of around half a million. It has 4 local news tv station, 3 local sports radio stations, and at least 3 newspapers that all cover the Mocs. This is not a college town. I don't know the exact numbers but the vast majority of students are from the metro area I am sure. This is not Boone or Statesboro once again. It's not most FCS college towns. See in sports, the playoffs are a bigger deal than the regular season. They draw more attention and they have more riding on the games. The playoffs in this town would be a big deal.

Unfortunately, we will likely never find out if Nooga would get more people for the playoffs.

Sandlapper Spike
October 22nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Even if UTC drew 15,000 for a playoff game, the NCAA would likely count it as only 9,000 anyway...

blueballs
October 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
It is one thing to get into the playoffs and quite another thing to host.

You can't draw 15-20k if you ain't at home...

... not only that but the Chatty folks are in for a rude awakening if they think they'll draw close to what GSU or App brings in for them in a regular season game. First, no other fanbase is going to travel for a first round playof game the way App and GSU does for a regular season game. Second, people have a chance to circle a game on their calendars and plan for a regular season game as opposed to a playoff game. And finally, if you host the first round it will be Thanksgiving weekend, and attendance is light even at the best attended programs on that weekend.

GATA
October 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
It is one thing to get into the playoffs and quite another thing to host.

You can't draw 15-20k if you ain't at home...

... not only that but the Chatty folks are in for a rude awakening if they think they'll draw close to what GSU or App brings in for them in a regular season game. First, no other fanbase is going to travel for a first round playof game the way App and GSU does for a regular season game. Second, people have a chance to circle a game on their calendars and plan for a regular season game as opposed to a playoff game. And finally, if you host the first round it will be Thanksgiving weekend, and attendance is light even at the best attended programs on that weekend.

I'm CERTAIN Chattanooga would draw 50,000 for a first round playoff game.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
The fact is, FCS and mid-major FBS programs are supported primarily by alumni and those with other university affiliations. They just do not get the 'Wal-Mart fans' very much. Furman (Greenville - 650K) and Wofford (Spartanburg - 285K) are both located is decent sized metro areas as well but they face the same obstacles as everyone else in terms of playoff attendance. The games are on short notice, it is during the holidays and the first round is especially tough since it falls on Thanksgiving weekend and has big FBS games to compete with. Getting unaffiliated locals to go see a Furman, Wofford, UTC, etc. game is hard when Clemson/South Carolina and Tennessee/Kentucky are playing that night as well. Really the only exception are places like ODU and Montana, who have the perfect combination of a large, dedicated fan following AND a sizable metro area.

GATA
October 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
The fact is, FCS and mid-major FBS programs are supported primarily by alumni and those with other university affiliations. They just do not get the 'Wal-Mart fans' very much. Furman (Greenville - 650K) and Wofford (Spartanburg - 285K) are both located is decent sized metro areas as well but they face the same obstacles as everyone else in terms of playoff attendance. The games are on short notice, it is during the holidays and the first round is especially tough since it falls on Thanksgiving weekend and has big FBS games to compete with. Getting unaffiliated locals to go see a Furman, Wofford, UTC, etc. game is hard when Clemson/South Carolina and Tennessee/Kentucky are playing that night as well. Really the only exception are places like ODU and Montana, who have the perfect combination of a large, dedicated fan following AND a sizable metro area.

No, No, No...you're wrong. Chattanooga is a special town.

eaglewraith
October 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM

Oh wow, with that huge market I'm sure you'll get an invite to FBS this year.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 22nd, 2012, 07:04 PM

Your daddy!

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
no offense man, but did you read my post? i don't think it'll happen for sure. but a 9-3, 8-3 and 7-4 wofford isn't what i said. the 7-4 wofford team won 5 straight to end the season, but also lost to coastal carolina, not a top ten team. the 9-3 wofford team lost 1 of their last two and lost to vmi. the 8-3 lost 1 of their last 2, and 2 of their last 5. none of that is the same as losing to 3 top ten teams, two by a combined handful of points, and a good fbs team and the winning the last 5 straight.

and, like i said in my post. if this was a school that got major attendance numbers like a jmu, app, montana, gsu type of school then i could all but guarantee to you that this 7 win thing wouldn't matter.

i really don't know how you took me saying it wasn't a rule and spun it into a me saying elon or utc would benefit from it. they won't. but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't a rule. it is a recommendation only. and there isn't enough data with the expanded playoffs to make an assumption that they stick to it or not.

You misread my post (clearly).

That 7-4 Wofford team lost by 3 to a CCU team that made the playoffs, FBS SC by TD (of which we fumbled inside their 10 on the last play), and by 7 to eventual and defending NC App state.

that 9-3 Wofford team beat GSU and App (playoff teams) at Boone and Paulson respectively, both playoff teams, and lost to Furman (the same Furman that I think either won conference or was the defending NC runner up) by like a score.

Elon's attendence is roughly that of Wofford's and this year's team does not have the resume of the aforementioned Wofford teams.

There's no reason to think Elon will get in, especially with only 6 D1 wins.

ElCid
October 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sure, we have the same conference record and they whipped us head to head. However, I rank them based on who I think the best team is. After the game with The Citadel, I certainly had them ranked ahead of ASU. Since then, App has won 4 of 5 with the lone loss coming in a hard fought game with a top 5 team. El Cid has lost 3 of 4, with the lone win coming at home against Western in a game that was tied going into the 4th quarter. Chatty is on a nice roll and if they take out GSU, I'll have them leapfrog Appalachian heading into our game in Statesboro.

And you would be correct. The Dogs have gone steadily down since their trip to NC State. I would not want to face App St again, Wofford will be tough enough next week.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Extremely unpopular opinion:

I will eat my sour grapes if I'm wrong, but to me the Socon seems top heavy this year. No disrespect to App state, but with their depleted defense they're only a 7-4 bubble team at this point. Everyone else at the top, except Wofford and GSU, fits that mold. Samford, to me, had the benefit of a decent schedule and a few good breaks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 6-5 or lower. App I think will make the playoffs at 7-4. Chattanooga will finish no better than 7-4. The Citadel could make the playoffs, but I don't see them at this point playing at the level of Wofford or GSU, but closer to App. I'm not convinced Elon will finish better than 7-4 either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Socon sucks, I just don't see enough consistency with any team outside of the top 2. Chattanooga is the only team that might change my mind on that, but I'm skeptical.

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
You misread my post (clearly).

That 7-4 Wofford team lost by 3 to a CCU team that made the playoffs, and FBS SC by TD (of which we fumbled inside their 10 on the last play), by 7 to eventual and defending NC App by 7.

that 9-3 Wofford team beat GSU and App (playoff teams), both playoff teams, and lost to Furman (the same Furman that I think either won conference or was the defending NC runner up) by like a score.

Elon's attendence is roughly that of Wofford's and this year's team does not have the resume of the aforementioned Wofford teams.

There's no reason to think Elon will get in, especially with only 6 D1 wins.

no, i didnt misread your post. you made it about elon. i made it about everyone, not elon. all i said is that there is no 7 win rule. there isn't.

and your posts, which i don't care about elon at this point, is about a non-7 win team getting an at large. it has happened. and it is always schools with big attendance.

i get it, you say elon has no chance. i agree. why are you focusing on it. i never said elon had a chance.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
no, i didnt misread your post. you made it about elon. i made it about everyone, not elon. all i said is that there is no 7 win rule. there isn't.

and your posts, which i don't care about elon at this point, is about a non-7 win team getting an at large. it has happened. and it is always schools with big attendance.

i get it, you say elon has no chance. i agree. why are you focusing on it. i never said elon had a chance.

There is no rule, but it's strongly implied to the point at which I am confident in saying that no team without 7 D1 wins has made it at large. Name one.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
By the way, there i no sense in comparing FU/Wofford and GSU/App in terms of local popularity.

App and GSU, though not "sports market" areas are definitely in college towns with Boone and Statesboro. Wofford and Furman are far from that in Greenville and Spartanburg. I would actually wager that Wofford has it worse than Furman due to the surrounding area, and that's not homerism talking.

fc97
October 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
There is no rule, but it's strongly implied to the point at which I am confident in saying that no team without 7 D1 wins has made it at large. Name one.

i don't know. i don't really care. expanded playoffs change things. and there's not enough data to say what is to come and you can't say based on the past what will happen now with 2 extra at larges.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
i don't know. i don't really care. expanded playoffs change things. and there's not enough data to say what is to come and you can't say based on the past what will happen now with 2 extra at larges.

But that's my entire point, look at the list of the teams with roughly 7 wins of the last 2 years and you'll see a trend of the deal-breaker being pending on who has 7 D1 wins and who doesn't. The ESPN analysts who didn't know **** were doing backflips that UD didn't get in, but they didn't have 7 D1 wins and everyone on AGS saw that coming. No D1 wins no playoffs, it's that simple.

GATA
October 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
But that's my entire point, look at the list of the teams with roughly 7 wins of the last 2 years and you'll see a trend of the deal-breaker being pending on who has 7 D1 wins and who doesn't. The ESPN analysts who didn't know **** were doing backflips that UD didn't get in, but they didn't have 7 D1 wins and everyone on AGS saw that coming. No D1 wins no playoffs, it's that simple.

It really is that ****ing simple. You're NOT going to get into the playoffs without 7 DIVISION I wins unless there is absolutely NO OTHER TEAM with 7 DI wins left. The selection committee has shown that time and time again.

asumike83
October 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
It really is that ****ing simple. You're NOT going to get into the playoffs without 7 DIVISION I wins unless there is absolutely NO OTHER TEAM with 7 DI wins left. The selection committee has shown that time and time again.

I'm not even sure 7 gets it done this year. I hate that Appalachian does not have a break and the final week of the season serves as the bye week. If we finish the year 7-4, I am going to spend a full week on the edge of my seat.

seantaylor
October 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM

What? Chatty never gets anywhere near 20K.

pike51
October 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM
What? Chatty never gets anywhere near 20K.

Yes they do. They get the same 20,000+ people that GA State gets week in and week out.

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Honestly, I think the Socon is not that powerful overall. I hope I am wrong. The Wofford team that was in Boone this last weekend would have got beaten pretty soundly by the ASU's national championship teams. Georgia Southern has not been dominant. And we know what ASU is. They are very inconsistent. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see any SoCon team making a run at the National Champioship.

Extremely unpopular opinion:

I will eat my sour grapes if I'm wrong, but to me the Socon seems top heavy this year. No disrespect to App state, but with their depleted defense they're only a 7-4 bubble team at this point. Everyone else at the top, except Wofford and GSU, fits that mold. Samford, to me, had the benefit of a decent schedule and a few good breaks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finished 6-5 or lower. App I think will make the playoffs at 7-4. Chattanooga will finish no better than 7-4. The Citadel could make the playoffs, but I don't see them at this point playing at the level of Wofford or GSU, but closer to App. I'm not convinced Elon will finish better than 7-4 either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Socon sucks, I just don't see enough consistency with any team outside of the top 2. Chattanooga is the only team that might change my mind on that, but I'm skeptical.

fc97
October 23rd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Definition of IRONY

1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony
a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c : an ironic expression or utterance
a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity
b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

in other words. you guys complain when 2-3 teams are so dominate over everyone else and complain that they drag you down. when those other 6-7 teams do pretty well week to week, its because the top schools are down not because the conference as a whole is better. so overall, how good the conference is and its strength is based on the perception of the fans of the top schools, two of which are in the top 10 rpi.

so you guys complain if the bottom teams are bad saying we drag you down and then out of the same mouth when they do better, complain that the conference is down because teams like the peterson and edwards app teams would dominate.

irony.

Go Apps
October 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm not even sure 7 gets it done this year. I hate that Appalachian does not have a break and the final week of the season serves as the bye week. If we finish the year 7-4, I am going to spend a full week on the edge of my seat.

This is where the Citadel diaster will be costly - App is the one 7-4 team that gets in across the country all we gotta hope is they choose one 7-4 I think it will be App otherwise we are out - just can't see beating GSU

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
This is where the Citadel diaster will be costly - App is the one 7-4 team that gets in across the country all we gotta hope is they choose one 7-4 I think it will be App otherwise we are out - just can't see beating GSU

What quality wins would you have at 7-4?

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Honestly, I think the Socon is not that powerful overall. I hope I am wrong. The Wofford team that was in Boone this last weekend would have got beaten pretty soundly by the ASU's national championship teams. Georgia Southern has not been dominant. And we know what ASU is. They are very inconsistent. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see any SoCon team making a run at the National Champioship.

I agree with you.

This season, Furman is as bad as they have been since the early 90s. Western is still terrible. Elon, IMO, is as bad as they have been since 2005. The Citadel is nothing special, but still managed to run App State out of Boone. App looks back on their one impressive win and realizes that they won close at home over the worst Montana team in years. Georgia Southern has won their games, but still looks a far cry from those dominant teams they put on the field in the late 90s early 00s.

At the end of the day, there's not a single team in the conference I would say without doubt could make a run at the title. I'm not even sure there's a team that will make it into the second round of the playoffs.

whoanellie
October 23rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
a 7-4 Elon would be a quality win.

Smitty
October 23rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
a 7-4 Elon would be a quality win.

Considering you lost to the top 3 of the conference, you are not going to count as a quality win...

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM

I agree with you.

This season, Furman is as bad as they have been since the early 90s. Western is still terrible. Elon, IMO, is as bad as they have been since 2005. The Citadel is nothing special, but still managed to run App State out of Boone. App looks back on their one impressive win and realizes that they won close at home over the worst Montana team in years. Georgia Southern has won their games, but still looks a far cry from those dominant teams they put on the field in the late 90s early 00s.

At the end of the day, there's not a single team in the conference I would say without doubt could make a run at the title. I'm not even sure there's a team that will make it into the second round of the playoffs.

Sadly, I agree as well, especially about none of us making a run at the national championship. In our case, our offense still hasn't gotten to where we hope it will, and injuries could be starting to take a toll. In fact, while I fervently hope it doesn't happen, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finish 7 - 4 ourselves.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2012, 08:00 AM

I'll take that bet. I would not be surprised to have 3 teams in the quarterfinals.

GSU is going to be very tough to beat at home, and assuming we manage to beat Howard and at least one more conference game we will have a wild card bye and be at home for the round of 16.

I wouldn't bet against App. State making the quarterfinals also. App. State was run off the field by Maine last year because they tried to run the power I with a running QB and no real power backs against a team that saw that type of offense every week. Don't underestimate the committee's taking attendance into account when deciding host teams, either. Charlie Cobb won't botch the bid process like Sam Baker.

The only playoff game Wofford ever played that they weren't in was Delaware. With their offense being a typical Wofford offense and their defense possibly being as good as has been since 2003, I can see them taking town someone in the playoffs also.

Eagle11
October 23rd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Sadly, I agree as well, especially about none of us making a run at the national championship. In our case, our offense still hasn't gotten to where we hope it will, and injuries could be starting to take a toll. In fact, while I fervently hope it doesn't happen, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finish 7 - 4 ourselves.

We would have to lose 3 out of our next 4 games to finish 7-4. We may lose to Chatty or App, but not both. Worst case scenario, we finish 8-3.

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
We would have to lose 3 out of our next 4 games to finish 7-4. We may lose to Chatty or App, but not both. Worst case scenario, we finish 8-3.

Yes, I am totally serious because I think there is definitely a possibility of us losing to both Chattanooga and App State, especially if both Russell and Swope are injured enough to appreciably affect their performance. Chatty has shown signs of getting better, not to mention that its a long road trip on top of a tough road trip to Greenville, and App is App, as they say. I'm glad that you have more confidence than I do and I certainly hope that you are correct, but I assure you that I have as hard a time believing that you think that 7 - 4 isn't in the realm of possibility as you have believing that I don't see 8 - 3 as a certainty.

asumike83
October 23rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
What quality wins would you have at 7-4?

That is the problem. The Montana win does not look nearly as good now as it did in week 2. Samford was 5-1 when we beat them and a conference road win is always nice but depending on how they finish, it may not look all that impressive. The one win that is looking better by the week is beating Chattanooga by 17 at their place.

Obviously, if we get to 8 wins we are a lock but like most App fans, I do not think a win at GSU is terribly likely. Possible? Sure, but not likely. Either way, I will be in Statesboro come hell or high water.

Realistically, I think App needs to get to 7 wins and root hard for Samford, Montana and Chattanooga to finish strong.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Yes, I am totally serious because I think there is definitely a possibility of us losing to both Chattanooga and App State, especially if both Russell and Swope are injured enough to appreciably affect their performance. Chatty has shown signs of getting better, not to mention that its a long road trip on top of a tough road trip to Greenville, and App is App, as they say. I'm glad that you have more confidence than I do and I certainly hope that you are correct, but I assure you that I have as hard a time believing that you think that 7 - 4 isn't in the realm of possibility as you have believing that I don't see 8 - 3 as a certainty.

UTC will be tough if they ever figure out that Robinson needs to stay at WR and quit with all the smoke and mirrors.

Eagle11
October 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM

I just see a lot of fight in these kids. Our fans haven't had much faith this year, but we continue to grind out wins

Lots of fans were predicting we'd lose to Samford, Wofford and Elon, but we pulled out the victories. Some fans were even saying we were going to go to WCU and have a hard time pulling off the win. We all saw how that turned out. I just think Monken is too good of a coach, and our players want it too bad to lay down and quit this far into the season. 7-4 is a possibility, but I think 8-3 is much more realistic. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we finish 9-2.

Eaglesrus
October 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I just see a lot of fight in these kids. Our fans haven't had much faith this year, but we continue to grind out wins

Lots of fans were predicting we'd lose to Samford, Wofford and Elon, but we pulled out the victories. Some fans were even saying we were going to go to WCU and have a hard time pulling off the win. We all saw how that turned out. I just think Monken is too good of a coach, and our players want it too bad to lay down and quit this far into the season. 7-4 is a possibility, but I think 8-3 is much more realistic. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we finish 9-2.

I haven't said anything about anyone laying down and quitting, but injuries aren't something you can just will to overcome, at least not if its serious at all. Personally, I didn't hear anyone predicting losses to Samford, Wofford, Elon, WCU.....or The Citadel, either. What I said from the get-go was that our schedule was seriously back-end loaded and I still believe that. But apparently in the end we generally agree, just differ on how much better the chances are to finish 8 - 3 than 7 - 4. 9 - 2 would be nice, of course, and 10 - 1 MUCH better! xthumbsupx

Eagle11
October 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM
I haven't said anything about anyone laying down and quitting, but injuries aren't something you can just will to overcome, at least not if its serious at all. Personally, I didn't hear anyone predicting losses to Samford, Wofford, Elon, WCU.....or The Citadel, either. What I said from the get-go was that our schedule was seriously back-end loaded and I still believe that. But apparently in the end we generally agree, just differ on how much better the chances are to finish 8 - 3 than 7 - 4. 9 - 2 would be nice, of course, and 10 - 1 MUCH better! xthumbsupx

Over on another GSU fan site, there were quite a few people predicting losses to those schools. Lets just hope we're both wrong and we finish 10-1 and make a strong playoff run.

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM

xlolx

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'll take that bet. I would not be surprised to have 3 teams in the quarterfinals.

GSU is going to be very tough to beat at home, and assuming we manage to beat Howard and at least one more conference game we will have a wild card bye and be at home for the round of 16.

I wouldn't bet against App. State making the quarterfinals also. App. State was run off the field by Maine last year because they tried to run the power I with a running QB and no real power backs against a team that saw that type of offense every week. Don't underestimate the committee's taking attendance into account when deciding host teams, either. Charlie Cobb won't botch the bid process like Sam Baker.

The only playoff game Wofford ever played that they weren't in was Delaware. With their offense being a typical Wofford offense and their defense possibly being as good as has been since 2003, I can see them taking town someone in the playoffs also.

Actually, I would challenge that last claim, because it was like 10-3 midway through the fourth quarter :D

but seriously, I don't think it really matters if the conference is down or not. In 2003, the conference was way down and we still got a team in the semis. I would wager that Wofford team was probably the second best in the country as well because they definitely played UD better than Lehigh did (or whoever was playing in the NC).

I disagree with the belief that Wofford is bad this year. I think we're better than last year. Compare the games of last year to this year and I think our offense is a little better and our defense is a little better (the defense is definitely better though). We just had a bad showing against a very good GSU defense.

People neglect to realize that Wofford on a bad day will score less than 24 or so points, while the defense so far hasn't allowed more than 2 TDs be scored on it. Yeah, our offense didn't show up against GSU, and only showed up for a half against Furman, but when we play defense like that we'll be competitive with anyone. On an average day we score roughly 30, just take that as you'd like.

theasushow
October 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think NDSU would absolutely polvarize any SOCON team.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
I think NDSU would absolutely polvarize any SOCON team.

they scare me.....

theasushow
October 23rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
they scare me.....

me too...i think the NC is theirs to lose.

Baldy
October 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah, our offense didn't show up against GSU...
I'd be willing to bet since GSU has the #2 defense in the nation, that might have had something to do with it. xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet since GSU has the #2 defense in the nation, that might have had something to do with it. xeyebrowx

yeah. That and the fact that they know the offense. My point was that everyone is ragging on Wofford's offense for being "slow" based off of the GSU game but I disagree, our lack of success had more to do with GSU being so good on defense. Granted, Kass, our starting QB is not the faster QB we've had, the back up Weimer is much faster and better at the QB keeper aspect of the game, but everywhere else we're pretty fast between Donovan Johnson and 3 RBs with a sub-11 second 100m times. Not to mention EB.

I'm definitely not taking away from GSU. When I say we didn't show up, it's because we were playing GSU. They won that game. No arguments here.

Horseshoe App
October 23rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
Actually, I would challenge that last claim, because it was like 10-3 midway through the fourth quarter :D

but seriously, I don't think it really matters if the conference is down or not. In 2003, the conference was way down and we still got a team in the semis. I would wager that Wofford team was probably the second best in the country as well because they definitely played UD better than Lehigh did (or whoever was playing in the NC).

I disagree with the belief that Wofford is bad this year. I think we're better than last year. Compare the games of last year to this year and I think our offense is a little better and our defense is a little better (the defense is definitely better though). We just had a bad showing against a very good GSU defense.

People neglect to realize that Wofford on a bad day will score less than 24 or so points, while the defense so far hasn't allowed more than 2 TDs be scored on it. Yeah, our offense didn't show up against GSU, and only showed up for a half against Furman, but when we play defense like that we'll be competitive with anyone. On an average day we score roughly 30, just take that as you'd like.

I don't think anyone is saying Wofford is bad. I know my point was that I do not think the conference is near as strong as it has been in years past. As I said, I hope I am wrong about a Southern Conference team not making a run at the championship.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Wofford is bad. I know my point was that I do not think the conference is near as strong as it has been in years past. As I said, I hope I am wrong about a Southern Conference team not making a run at the championship.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying that teams from underperforming conferences have made runs, albeit not championship runs. Wofford from 2003 is the example I used because it's the first that comes to mind.

ASU_Fanatic
October 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
There's a better chance the Panthers win the super bowl than App going 7-4 and not making it in

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
There's a better chance the Panthers win the super bowl than App going 7-4 and not making it in

Chances of Panthers making the Superbowl: 0%

Chances of Cam Newton contriving an elaborate endzone dance with his team down 40 points: 100%

somewhere between those numbers are App's playoff chances.

ASU_Fanatic
October 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Chances of Panthers making the Superbowl: 0%

Exactly. A 7-4 App gets in everyday of the week and gets a home game probably just because they'll actually have a decent crowd. Lol Cam Newton has had no help on offense this year. The Panthers are SO sad :(.... not a very good fall for me in general. App is just above average, Panthers may be the worst team in the NFL, Braves choked in the wild card game, my expectations aren't too high for the Bobcats this year lol

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
me too...i think the NC is theirs to lose.

I agree, but as we saw in their loss, anyone can have an off game

seantaylor
October 24th, 2012, 01:32 AM

GSU gets in over Appy at 7-4. All day, everyday

Horseshoe App
October 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM
GSU gets in over Appy at 7-4. All day, everyday

Please thiink before you talk. If ASU is 7-4 there is no way GSU is 7-4. GSU would have beat APP. They would be a minimum of 8-3.

fc97
October 24th, 2012, 06:33 AM
and you guys have proven just why the fcs is fundamentally no different than the bcs system. crowd size, name and tradition mean more than actually resume for at large teams. and you're right. but at that point, the fcs is no different because the big names from the big conferences are going to have an edge all the time, every time.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 06:40 AM
and you guys have proven just why the fcs is fundamentally no different than the bcs system. crowd size, name and tradition mean more than actually resume for at large teams. and you're right. but at that point, the fcs is no different because the big names from the big conferences are going to have an edge all the time, every time.

Not so fast - 20 teams and soon to be 24 teams does not compare us to the FBS system - furthermore in the case of ASU the Socon is 2nd in the GPI unlike the past few years where the CAA has dominated - yes I do not deny there are thoughts that go into play due to the money but the FCS is making an effort to get this right

Baldy
October 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Please thiink before you talk. If ASU is 7-4 there is no way GSU is 7-4. GSU would have beat APP. They would be a minimum of 8-3.
xlolx

Just ignore the troll.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Just an observation...if your team is having a disappointing season then in your eyes the conference is always "down". I remember GSU fans saying the conference was down in 2007 and 2008, which is really laughable especially for 2007.

It's one thing to say the conference has been down for the past few years, but is it really worse than it was last year? Which teams would you say are not as good as they were last year? The only team that has definitely fallen off some from last year is Furman, and there is no one in this conference who can afford to overlook them. Chatty certainly looked down for a while now but we will have to see if they have figured out the QB conundrum.

Matter of fact, I don't even think you can say the top 3 is weaker than last year. GSU and Wofford are arguably better because of better defenses. App. State really isn't any worse overall than they were last year even though their defense has fallen off.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Just an observation...if your team is having a disappointing season then in your eyes the conference is always "down". I remember GSU fans saying the conference was down in 2007 and 2008, which is really laughable especially for 2007.

It's one thing to say the conference has been down for the past few years, but is it really worse than it was last year? Which teams would you say are not as good as they were last year? The only team that has definitely fallen off some from last year is Furman, and there is no one in this conference who can afford to overlook them. Chatty certainly looked down for a while now but we will have to see if they have figured out the QB conundrum.

Matter of fact, I don't even think you can say the top 3 is weaker than last year. GSU and Wofford are arguably better because of better defenses. App. State really isn't any worse overall than they were last year even though their defense has fallen off.

I thinnk the Socon is way up overall and I think it will show in the playoffs - App is down amongst the big3 but still could have beat Wofford - still got to remember that they have lost so many due to injuries - on the bright side everybody is seeing playing time and getting more confident if they can get to the playoffs we might get a few hurt players back and the newness could wear off - no matter what still would not want to play us if we get in

Bottomline the GPI of the conference is 2nd overall - so something has changed in a positive way

millwoga1
October 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I thinnk the Socon is way up overall and I think it will show in the playoffs - App is down amongst the big3 but still could have beat Wofford - still got to remember that they have lost so many due to injuries - on the bright side everybody is seeing playing time and getting more confident if they can get to the playoffs we might get a few hurt players back and the newness could wear off - no matter what still would not want to play us if we get in

Bottomline the GPI of the conference is 2nd overall - so something has changed in a positive way

You are going to upset some traditionalist with including Wofford in the "big3"

asucrutch23
October 24th, 2012, 08:44 AM

Haha, despite having only followed SoCon football since enrolling at App in 2005, I was thinking the same thing. Welcome to the Big 3! Sorry Furman...

SpeedkingATL
October 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I personally like GaSo and Wofford's chances of making some kind of run in the playoffs for 2 reasons:
1-They run an offense that few if any of their opponents have seen and it is very hard to duplicate in practice.
2-Both have very strong defenses, especially up front. A good defense can keep you close in any game and hope that the offense can make something positive happen.

With App running a more traditional offense and with a defense that has often given up lots of yardage and points, they have to depend on outscoring their opponents, which is difficult if the opponent has a strong defense like the 2 above. That said they have the ability to "out athlete" lots of teams if the coaching doesn't get in the way.

That said I don't know if any of the "big 3" are as strong as some past teams but the teams in the middle and bottom of the SoCon are better than in past years, even Whee. Sammy, UTC, and Citadel can beat anyone in FCS on a given day.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Sorry but it has been ASU Wofford GSU for many years and we all know it

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I personally like GaSo and Wofford's chances of making some kind of run in the playoffs for 2 reasons:
1-They run an offense that few if any of their opponents have seen and it is very hard to duplicate in practice.
2-Both have very strong defenses, especially up front. A good defense can keep you close in any game and hope that the offense can make something positive happen.

With App running a more traditional offense and with a defense that has often given up lots of yardage and points, they have to depend on outscoring their opponents, which is difficult if the opponent has a strong defense like the 2 above. That said they have the ability to "out athlete" lots of teams if the coaching doesn't get in the way.

That said I don't know if any of the "big 3" are as strong as some past teams but the teams in the middle and bottom of the SoCon are better than in past years, even Whee. Sammy, UTC, and Citadel can beat anyone in FCS on a given day.

If we are right and the Socon is up this year then each of these teams have been in dogfights and close games all year long that will help as for the ASU you are right but your conference foes know you better than anyone else on how to defend you - the others do not - App's offense is down due to one reason this year - few long plays that is what did us in against Wofford we are not being aggresive or can't be...if we get the long ball going it really opens everything else up - if we could have done this against woffy that would be a different game...take away the citdel game and everything else was close - inexperience, injuries, turnovers, stupid penalities like flipping in the end zone (I believe changed the course of the Woffy game) have made us beatable to our foes...

The defense is a real mystery at times - and Satterfield has been less than impressive upon his return - 3 strait running plays late in the woffy game inside the 10 was a great example right after you drove the field with nothing but pass plays

If App plays a complete game they can beat anybody but we have put ourselves in a position of barely winning all year and I think the trend continues - we may be lucky to get to 7-4 - blessed if we find our way to 8-3...

Hey and why do I keep believing UTC is going to win the conference -

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 09:30 AM

I'd say Wofford is better than last year as is GSU (just Wofford more improved), but I would say that App is not as good as last year (probably due to injuries and youth on offense), Furman isn't as good as last year, Elon seems somewhat improved as does the Citadel, but everyone else seems to be roughly the same.

I think the conference is down because normally it's a 3 or 4 team race until the last 2 weeks of the season (it was last year) but this year I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford and GSU had it wrapped up going into the next to last game of the season.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM

It's a show of the times when the spread is considered traditional lol

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Sorry but it has been ASU Wofford GSU for many years and we all know it

That's Wofford "humbleness" talking. I think we may as well be considered the big 3, certainly more than Furman in the last few years, but I won't call it until we win out this year.

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 24th, 2012, 09:39 AM
but this year I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford and GSU had it wrapped up going into the next to last game of the season.

It's pretty much decided depending on how GSU does against UTC and App, so we will know going into the next to last game. Assuming GSU wins those 2 xthumbsupx

fc97
October 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Not so fast - 20 teams and soon to be 24 teams does not compare us to the FBS system - furthermore in the case of ASU the Socon is 2nd in the GPI unlike the past few years where the CAA has dominated - yes I do not deny there are thoughts that go into play due to the money but the FCS is making an effort to get this right

when teams get selected for the playoffs by name, tradition and attendance more than resume as has been seen in the past, then the system of selection is just as crappy as the bcs. and that's basically what you guys are saying. a 7-4 gsu or app is in any day of the week for just those reasons. i think you guys are right. now tell that to the other 7-4 teams that might an equal resume and are left out because they aren;t a household name.

at that point, you have the bcs system where some are in and some are out just by the image and standing they have.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
It's pretty much decided depending on how GSU does against UTC and App, so we will know going into the next to last game. Assuming GSU wins those 2 xthumbsupx

Regardless, it's either one of theirs to lose. For instance, if GSU beats Chatty and loses to App, while chatt beats Wofford, we'll have a 4 way tie at the top, with App getting the autobid.

We'll know for sure the way things wrap up in 3 weeks for sure if GSU and Wofford win out.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
when teams get selected for the playoffs by name, tradition and attendance more than resume as has been seen in the past, then the system of selection is just as crappy as the bcs. and that's basically what you guys are saying. a 7-4 gsu or app is in any day of the week for just those reasons. i think you guys are right. now tell that to the other 7-4 teams that might an equal resume and are left out because they aren;t a household name.

at that point, you have the bcs system where some are in and some are out just by the image and standing they have.

In the case of Elon, they're a team without 7 D1 wins this year, App isn't. That's the reason App will get in at 7-4 and Elon won't. Tradition plays a roll but not as much as it used to, and stadium attendance only contributes to whether or not you host a game.

If you think you're being hosed, Elon's record this year has nothing on the year Wofford was hosed, at 9-3 with wins @GSU and @app. Yeah, we lost to VMI, but even with that that's a better resume than Elon's is currently by lightyears.

So in short you're preaching to the choir.

straightshooter
October 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'd say Wofford is better than last year as is GSU (just Wofford more improved), but I would say that App is not as good as last year (probably due to injuries and youth on offense), Furman isn't as good as last year, Elon seems somewhat improved as does the Citadel, but everyone else seems to be roughly the same.

I think the conference is down because normally it's a 3 or 4 team race until the last 2 weeks of the season (it was last year) but this year I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford and GSU had it wrapped up going into the next to last game of the season.

If GSU wins the next two games, it's over. GSU will be SoCon Champs with a win over Wofford. The autobid would go to GSU.

fc97
October 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
In the case of Elon, they're a team without 7 D1 wins this year, App isn't. That's the reason App will get in at 7-4 and Elon won't. Tradition plays a roll but not as much as it used to, and stadium attendance only contributes to whether or not you host a game.

If you think you're being hosed, Elon's record this year has nothing on the year Wofford was hosed, at 9-3 with wins @GSU and @app. Yeah, we lost to VMI, but even with that that's a better resume than Elon's is currently by lightyears.

So in short you're preaching to the choir.

dude, did i mention elon. the quote was a 7-4 app or gsu team won't be left out period. nothing about elon. that's saying a 7-4 app or gsu team would be taken over any number of extra 8-3 or better teams from other conferences.

and my examples are a team like wofford being hosed at 9-3 or any others are 9-2 in years past where bigger, traditional teams are taken with worse records and resumes sheerly on name.

asumike83
October 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
A 7-4 App team may get in over another 7-4 team but there is zero chance we get in over an 8-3 team unless it is one coming out of a very weak conference.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM
A 7-4 App team may get in over another 7-4 team but there is zero chance we get in over an 8-3 team unless it is one coming out of a very weak conference.

I'm not sure what you consider a "very weak conference" but what you say is probably true of an 8-3 team from the Missouri Valley, CAA or Big Sky, but there are a lot of other 8-3 teams I can see the selection committee passing over for a 7-4 App St.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure what you consider a "very weak conference" but what you say is probably true of an 8-3 team from the Missouri Valley, CAA or Big Sky, but there are a lot of other 8-3 teams I can see the selection committee passing over for a 7-4 App St.

Maybe not this year in the CAA weak ratings

ElCid
October 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I have a hypothetical question. Does a 7-4 Citadel team get in if it beats Wofford but loses to Furman or Elon? Not saying that will happen (I think we lose by 20 to Wofford). But if we did, that would mean we beat "SOCON big 3" (GaSo, App, and Wofford) but lose to the middle SOCON 3 (Chatt, Samford, ?) Kind of weird actually. I think if that were to happen we would actual screw the SOCON and App and Wofford might be left out entirely, assuming Ga So wins out in Conf play.

asumike83
October 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM

"Very weak" was probably a poor choice of words. What I meant was that no 8-3 team from a power conference will get left out in favor of a 7-4 Appalachian just because of name recognition.

I have a hypothetical question. Does a 7-4 Citadel team get in if it beats Wofford but loses to Furman or Elon? Not saying that will happen (I think we lose by 20 to Wofford). But if we did, that would mean we beat "SOCON big 3" (GaSo, App, and Wofford) but lose to the middle SOCON 3 (Chatt, Samford, ?) Kind of weird actually. I think if that were to happen we would actual screw the SOCON and App and Wofford might be left out entirely, assuming Ga So wins out in Conf play.

That would be a very interesting scenario. I'd be curious to see whether the good wins outweighed the bad losses in that hypothetical. If that were the only other game that Wofford lost then they'd be a lock, along with GSU. You'd have to think the SoCon gets a third bid in that case but it'd be quite the predicament. With wins over all 3, I'd probably say the Bulldogs get the nod.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM

It would make it difficult not to choose Citadel over ASU...that is why ASU does not want to be in that situation..

ElonFirefighter
October 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Here is a better one. The Citadel loses to Elon but win the rest, Elon Wins Out and App loses to GSU but wins the rest. All are 7-4 each having beat on of the other. IMO The Citadel would get the nodd over APP and Elon. We could have a log jam at 3rd, it will be intresting to see how the season plays out

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Here is a better one. The Citadel loses to Elon but win the rest, Elon Wins Out and App loses to GSU but wins the rest. All are 7-4 each having beat on of the other. IMO The Citadel would get the nodd over APP and Elon. We could have a log jam at 3rd, it will be intresting to see how the season plays out

Elon cannot make the field - stop playing D11 schools like WV State... 6-3 is the best they can do as those wins are tossed out..ASU and Citadel would both be 7-3 taking out the FBS losses which they do

ElonFirefighter
October 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Elon cannot make the field - stop playing D11 schools like WV State... 6-3 is the best they can do as those wins are tossed out..ASU and Citadel would both be 7-3 taking out the FBS losses which they do

I would love to see us stop playing D2 schools, but with a weaker playoff field this year anything can happen. Also its a unsaid rule with the 7 D1 wins, but ive never seen it written down, we are making assumptions. The FBS gets 1 FCS game whos to say we dont get 1 D1 game, if there are no better 7D1 teams

Edit

* Do not win the autobid, but achieve at least 7 wins against Division I opponents in order to qualify as one of ten at large teams to the tournament. The official NCAA playoff handbook says that having less than seven "may" jeopardize a teams chances, leaving a little wiggle room for inclusion with less wins, but practical experience tells us that the NCAA Division I Football Committee isn't likely to go there.

http://college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/86-playoff-eligibility-week-11

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I would love to see us stop playing D2 schools, but with a weaker playoff field this year anything can happen. Also its a unsaid rule with the 7 D1 wins, but ive never seen it written down, we are making assumptions. The FBS gets 1 FCS game whos to say we dont get 1 D1 game, if there are no better 7D1 teams

Edit

* Do not win the autobid, but achieve at least 7 wins against Division I opponents in order to qualify as one of ten at large teams to the tournament. The official NCAA playoff handbook says that having less than seven "may" jeopardize a teams chances, leaving a little wiggle room for inclusion with less wins, but practical experience tells us that the NCAA Division I Football Committee isn't likely to go there.

Where are you getting a weak playoff field this may be the strongest i have ever seen - I have been saying for weeks that I believe no 7-4 team may make the at-large field - there is no scenario where Elon makes the field this year - and I believe they win out for sure....Elon may actually help ASU/Citade/Samford - the win over NC Central could prove to be very beneficial if they win the MEAC - pushes our conference GPI up...

asumike83
October 24th, 2012, 03:55 PM
A team with less than 7 DI wins has never made the field as an at-large. If Delaware was not even considered last year with wins over the top 2 teams in the CAA, it will not happen.

Go Apps
October 24th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Actually Samford is done as well they also played a D11 team -

To date in this order

GSU - in
Woffy - in
ASU - bubble
UTC - must win out or win autobid - they played a D11 school so another loss eliminates them from the at large
Citadel - needs 3 more wins..

GSU and Wofford will get in...one wins the conference
ASU will stay on the bubble and sweat it out

UTC losses again and does not win autobid and are out - a four way tie w/ UTC/ASU/GSU/Woff is a real possibility but that means ASU would get the autobid
Citadel can't find 3 more wins and is out

ElonFirefighter
October 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Let me clarify, this year it appears to be more evenly matched with a log jam at the at large teams. By no means am I calling for an Elon at large, I’m saying its possible but slim to none. I’m just saying at 7-3 with a 5 game win streak and close losses to both App and GSU I think there name should be thrown around.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Just for the record...UTC had an all DI schedule, but Presbyterian backed out late (they had to move their game with Vandy to UTC's weekend when A&M and Mizzou joined the SEC)...Chattanooga tried to find a DI replacement, but it was just too late and got stuck with a non DI. Trust me, Moc fans are going to be sick to their stomachs if they end up 2nd in the SoCon or tied for first but with no autobid at 7-4, 6-2.

To UTC's credit, they were very gracious about it with Presbyterian. Hard to fault a school for switching to keep a $350K pay day.

cbarrier90
October 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Let me clarify, this year it appears to be more evenly matched with a log jam at the at large teams. By no means am I calling for an Elon at large, I’m saying its possible but slim to none. I’m just saying at 7-3 with a 5 game win streak and close losses to both App and GSU I think there name should be thrown around.

Not a chance. Blame West Virginia State. This is why you shouldn't schedule D-II teams. The committee is going to look for any reason to keep teams out to make the process as straightforward as possible.

In 2007, with both teams at 5-2, ASU lost the SoCon autobid to Wofford and scheduled Lenoir Rhyne at home that year. If not for a win over some Big Ten school, ASU was probably on the outside looking in.

asumike83
October 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hate to nitpick but App had a 9-2 regular season in 2007 with 8 DI wins. Even if we lost to Michigan, a defending national champ and SoCon co-champ with 7 DI wins would have been a lock.

ITmonarch10
October 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Maybe not this year in the CAA weak ratings

The CAA is weak in the GPI ,but are strong in the polls.I don't think a 7-4 team from the CAA or Big Sky is getting in over a 7-4 team from the SoCon or MVFC. The problem for ASU from a CAA perspective is the playoff CAA teams are going to be either 9-2 with a FBS loss, 9-2 with 2 FCS losses, or 8-3 with a FBS loss and all teams will have a defining victory. From a big sky perspective, a lot of the top teams are simply avoiding each other and some have FBS wins. A 7-4 Sacramento might get in over ASU if they can beat Cal Poly or Montana State. They would have a defining victory ,while ASU best win would be over Sammy or Chatty. ASU just knock off GSU and make it easy on yourselves.

ASU_Fanatic
October 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Again, there is a 100% chance a 7-4 App makes the playoffs. But getting to seven wins is still going to be a dogfight.

citdog
October 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Again, there is a 100% chance a 7-4 App makes the playoffs. But getting to seven wins is still going to be a dogfight.

not if The Citadel has the same record and a 5 touchdown road victory. you will sit home.

CID1990
October 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM
A 7-4 El Cid would not normally get in. I was a student of the playoff picture in the 1980s and I can tell you that teams that are not historically good (and we have been out if the playoff picture since the Taaffe years) do not get a lot of at large love when they suddenly have a winning season after several losing seasons.

The ONLY thing that might help us at 7-4 is the fact that we did beat ASU and GSU, but I have no faith in the selection committee. The way I see it is we have to win out, and even then I do not think we are a 100% lock.

However, if we suddenly find the defensive moxie to win out, I think we would represent the SoCon well as an at large team.

eaglewraith
October 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Just for the record...UTC had an all DI schedule, but Presbyterian backed out late (they had to move their game with Vandy to UTC's weekend when A&M and Mizzou joined the SEC)...Chattanooga tried to find a DI replacement, but it was just too late and got stuck with a non DI. Trust me, Moc fans are going to be sick to their stomachs if they end up 2nd in the SoCon or tied for first but with no autobid at 7-4, 6-2.

Happened to us last year too. Coastal dropped us to play an FBS and we had to scramble to find someone. Because of that D2, it hurt us in seeding. Sucks when you get hung out to dry like that.

fc97
October 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
A 7-4 El Cid would not normally get in. I was a student of the playoff picture in the 1980s and I can tell you that teams that are not historically good (and we have been out if the playoff picture since the Taaffe years) do not get a lot of at large love when they suddenly have a winning season after several losing seasons.

The ONLY thing that might help us at 7-4 is the fact that we did beat ASU and GSU, but I have no faith in the selection committee. The way I see it is we have to win out, and even then I do not think we are a 100% lock.

However, if we suddenly find the defensive moxie to win out, I think we would represent the SoCon well as an at large team.

that is exactly right. that's how liberty, hofstra and elon all missed out in the 90s despite multiple wins over playoff teams and losses to playoff teams. thats how wofford was left out last decade.

its because of this that fcs is just as flawed as the bcs. history and attendance mean a lot, and because of that, the system will always be flawed.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM
If GSU wins the next two games, it's over. GSU will be SoCon Champs with a win over Wofford. The autobid would go to GSU.

Wofford would still be co-champs

gsu_paintballer
October 25th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Wofford would still be co-champs

Only because the SoCon believes trophies should go to as many teams as possible.

ElonFirefighter
October 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Only because the SoCon believes trophies should go to as many teams as possible.

Does that mean WCU will get a trophy this year??

asumike83
October 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
that is exactly right. that's how liberty, hofstra and elon all missed out in the 90s despite multiple wins over playoff teams and losses to playoff teams. thats how wofford was left out last decade.

its because of this that fcs is just as flawed as the bcs. history and attendance mean a lot, and because of that, the system will always be flawed.

It is flawed, no system is perfect. It is nowhere near as flawed as the BCS though. We argue about teams 15-20 while they have a computer tell them who the 2 best teams are and undefeated seasons go unrewarded regularly.

fc97
October 25th, 2012, 07:52 AM
It is flawed, no system is perfect. It is nowhere near as flawed as the BCS though. We argue about teams 15-20 while they have a computer tell them who the 2 best teams are and undefeated seasons go unrewarded regularly.

but at least their system is publicized and uses a formula to dictate the 2.

fcs has 8 that are dictated and the others are made as opinion only without any published guidelines and a history of taken historical facts into perspective when making selections for the present. for that reason alone, you have teams left out historically that probably shouldn't and one hit wonders that miss their chance solely based on image. when you're a preferred selection, you get a whole different opinion than when you're one of the others.

and isn't that what the bcs is about? they have a method, and it is locked into schools that play for certain conferences for a variety of reasons and you have your one hit wonders (boise, ecu, etc) that have great attempts that are left with no chance because of history.

its really the same thing.

eaglewraith
October 25th, 2012, 08:54 AM

fcs has 8 that are dictated and the others are made as opinion only without any published guidelines and a history of taken historical facts into perspective when making selections for the present. for that reason alone, you have teams left out historically that probably shouldn't and one hit wonders that miss their chance solely based on image. when you're a preferred selection, you get a whole different opinion than when you're one of the others.

and isn't that what the bcs is about? they have a method, and it is locked into schools that play for certain conferences for a variety of reasons and you have your one hit wonders (boise, ecu, etc) that have great attempts that are left with no chance because of history.

A lot of the algorithms for the computer rankings in the BCS are not public knowledge. You don't know what actually goes into those rankings. You also don't know if it's getting tweaked throughout the season.

gsu_paintballer
October 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Does that mean WCU will get a trophy this year??

Some things just aren't possible.

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM

If Wofford shares the Socon title, I'm more than willing to bet perhaps we've shared it more than anyone.

cbarrier90
October 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM

Win your games and you won't need to complain.

App1928
October 26th, 2012, 02:38 AM
If Wofford shares the Socon title, I'm more than willing to bet perhaps we've shared it more than anyone.

If Wofford are co co-champs then it will be their 4th SoCon title, and 3rd theyve shared...they would tie App State for 2nd most shared titles with 3 as Furman has tied 4. But i disagree with the notion that tie breakers are neccesary....football is a different beast than most sports. Champ or co-champ wofford should be more than proud of what they have become....competing in this league and rising to IMHO the solid 3rd best program in the Socon with so much less resources than App State and GA Southern is nothing to sneeze at.

Mr. Pink
October 26th, 2012, 06:57 AM
If Wofford are co co-champs then it will be their 4th SoCon title, and 3rd theyve shared...they would tie App State for 2nd most shared titles with 3 as Furman has tied 4. But i disagree with the notion that tie breakers are neccesary....football is a different beast than most sports. Champ or co-champ wofford should be more than proud of what they have become....competing in this league and rising to IMHO the solid 3rd best program in the Socon with so much less resources than App State and GA Southern is nothing to sneeze at.

Agree completely but would even call them, 1st or 2nd best depending on which year you catch them.

Mr. Pink
October 26th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Heres the question... how often has an at large won the NC? If the answer is not in the double digits this debate is over...

Go Apps
October 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Heres the question... how often has an at large won the NC? If the answer is not in the double digits this debate is over...

Great question - IDK

Go Apps
October 26th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Here is the list of the past champions

College Football FCS Past Champions

Year Champion Coach Runner-up Score
2011 North Dakota State Craig Bohl Sam Houston State 17-6
2010 Eastern Washington Beau Baldwin Delaware 20-19
2009 Villanova Andy Talley Montana 23-21
2008 Richmond Mike London Montana 24-7
2007 Appalachian State Jerry Moore Delaware 49-21
2006 Appalachian State Jerry Moore Massachusetts 28-17
2005 Appalachian State Jerry Moore Northern Iowa 21-16
2004 James Madison Mickey Matthews Montana 31-21
2003 Delaware K.C. Keeler Colgate 40-0
2002 Western Kentucky Jack Harbaugh McNeese State 34-14
2001 Montana Joe Glenn Furman 13-6
2000 Georgia Southern Paul Johnson Montana 27-25
1999 Georgia Southern Paul Johnson Youngstown State 59-24
1998 Massachusetts Mark Whipple Georgia Southern 55-43
1997 Youngstown State Jim Tressel McNeese State 10-9
1996 Marshall Bob Pruett Montana 49-29
1995 Montana Don Read Marshall 22-20
1994 Youngstown State Jim Tressel Boise State 28-14
1993 Youngstown State Jim Tressel Marshall 17-5
1992 Marshall Jim Donnan Youngstown State 31-28
1991 Youngstown State Jim Tressel Marshall 25-17
1990 Georgia Southern Tim Stowers Nevada 36-13
1989 Georgia Southern Erk Russell Stephen F. Austin 37-34
1988 Furman Jimmy Satterfield Georgia Southern 17-12
1987 Northeast Louisiana Pat Collins Marshall 43-42
1986 Georgia Southern Erk Russell Arkansas State 48-21
1985 Georgia Southern Erk Russell Furman 44-42
1984 Montana State Dave Arnold Louisiana Tech 19-6
1983 Southern Illinois Rey Dempsey Western Carolina 43-47
1982 Eastern Kentucky Roy Kidd Delaware 17-14
1981 Idaho State Dave Kragthorpe Eastern Kentucky 34-23
1980 Boise State Jim Criner Eastern Kentucky 31-29
1979 Eastern Kentucky Roy Kidd Lehigh 30-7
1978 Florida A&M Rudy Hubbard Massachusetts 35-28

T-Dog
October 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM

ASU in 2007, GSU in 1999, JMU in 2004, Richmond in 2008, EWU in 2010...all off the top of my head early in the morning.

ElonFirefighter
October 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM
ASU in 2007, GSU in 1999, JMU in 2004, Richmond in 2008, EWU in 2010...all off the top of my head early in the morning.

Ohhh Snap no he didn't

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Who got the autobid in 1999, anyways? Did they flip a coin or something?

fc97
October 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
A lot of the algorithms for the computer rankings in the BCS are not public knowledge. You don't know what actually goes into those rankings. You also don't know if it's getting tweaked throughout the season.

exactly. we all like to talk about our pure system but it isnt pure at all. it is just as flawed in selection as the bcs, which is what ive been sayin

cbarrier90
October 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
exactly. we all like to talk about our pure system but it isnt pure at all. it is just as flawed in selection as the bcs, which is what ive been sayin

Pretty sure he was saying that the BCS is more flawed because of their formulas and the FCS is more straightforward. Perfect? No, but the general consensus is 7 DI wins. If there's a discrepancy, look at quality wins. If there's still a discrepancy, look at the gate each school promises. No one really knows what is needed in the BCS.

You are showing why playoff expansion is moot. There is no perfect way to include all deserving teams, and no amount of playoff expansion would fix anything. Fans would still be upset. The playoffs didn't need to be expanded in the first place, but that's for another thread...

asumike83
October 26th, 2012, 10:18 AM
The FCS playoff system is nowhere near as flawed as the BCS. An undefeated team will NEVER go without a shot at a national championship in the FCS (unless their conference is one that chooses not to participate) in the current system, even if you don't play scholarship football. That alone makes it head and shoulders above the BCS. FCS fans are left to argue about which team with 3-4 losses that did not even win their own conference should not have been left out. Win your games, win your conference and you will get your shot. Not even close to as flawed as having a computer spit out two teams to play for a championship while undefeated teams and conference champions sit at home.

fc97
October 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
The FCS playoff system is nowhere near as flawed as the BCS. An undefeated team will NEVER go without a shot at a national championship in the FCS (unless their conference is one that chooses not to participate) in the current system, even if you don't play scholarship football. That alone makes it head and shoulders above the BCS. FCS fans are left to argue about which team with 3-4 losses that did not even win their own conference should not have been left out. Win your games, win your conference and you will get your shot. Not even close to as flawed as having a computer spit out two teams to play for a championship while undefeated teams and conference champions sit at home.

the pioneer wants to participate, could have 7 d-i wins and be undefeated and not get in.

just like many schools schedule and play pioneer schools which are easier than dii and they count where dii doesn't.

fc97
October 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure he was saying that the BCS is more flawed because of their formulas and the FCS is more straightforward. Perfect? No, but the general consensus is 7 DI wins. If there's a discrepancy, look at quality wins. If there's still a discrepancy, look at the gate each school promises. No one really knows what is needed in the BCS.

You are showing why playoff expansion is moot. There is no perfect way to include all deserving teams, and no amount of playoff expansion would fix anything. Fans would still be upset. The playoffs didn't need to be expanded in the first place, but that's for another thread...

sure and as long as there are no rules for admitting, they should just leave it. automatic qualifiers and no at-large, why not? deserving teams will be left out just the same as any.

asumike83
October 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
the pioneer wants to participate, could have 7 d-i wins and be undefeated and not get in.

just like many schools schedule and play pioneer schools which are easier than dii and they count where dii doesn't.

I suppose that is true for the next several months but the Pioneer League was granted an automatic qualifier beginning in 2013.

App1928
October 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Agree completely but would even call them, 1st or 2nd best depending on which year you catch them.

No disrespect to wofford, but as a program they arnt on GA Southern's or apps level....they trail both series....APP and GSU have won 9 combined national titles, wofford has 0...wofford is also a recent phenomenon that will likely fade...App and GA Southern always compete for socon titles and finish ranked high in the nation.

Mr. Pink
October 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM

I'm not even sure how to respond.... Is this what getting owned feels like?

Hm... I'm going to actually compile the statistics when I get home from work but what I am trying to know can be contained in a simple question. Since the entire point of the playoffs is to determine who is the best team in the league, has there been a situation where one of these last minute bubble teams, or teams that could have arguably been left at home have won the championship?

The playoffs should be set up so that everyone that has an arguably decent shot at winning the championship is let in and everyone else left home. To me, 20-24 teams seems like a good number to guarantee that the best team is somewhere in that group. Thats the size of 2 entire conferences playing each other sudden death style.

The BCS has 4 teams in the playoff which is clearly not enough... You at least need as many teams as you have conferences in a playoff... The FCS has considerably more teams than conferences which would allow spots given to people who earned the spot by winning their conference and spots to people who look improved and good enough to possibly win the national championship.

If anyone has an argument stating that, their team should have been selected over another team because they believe that their team would have done better, but does not believe their team would have won the entire playoffs, then they have no argument. The playoffs exist to crown 1 winner and 1 winner alone... not runner ups or third or fourth place, those distinctions will be given to teams, but those distinctions are not the reason the playoffs exist. They are merely afterthoughts.

cbarrier90
October 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
\wofford is also a recent phenomenon that will likely fade...

Oh boy, you're gonna rile some people up with that...

I agree with this to an extent. As long as Ayers is there, they will continue to be a force in the SoCon. What happens post-Ayers will determine whether Wofford stays the course as a major player.

And for the record, people have been saying the same thing about ASU since 2005...

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
No disrespect to wofford, but as a program they arnt on GA Southern's or apps level....they trail both series....APP and GSU have won 9 combined national titles, wofford has 0...wofford is also a recent phenomenon that will likely fade...App and GA Southern always compete for socon titles and finish ranked high in the nation.
First, let me say welcome to AGS. This is a place of great FCS conversation. Second, Wofford will have down years like everyone else. But, if you look at the trajectory the team has taken since joining the SoCon, I don't think they are a fading flash in the pan. Since 2003, the team has been at the top of the conference, except for a a couple of years. In fact, the terriers defeated ASU and GSU in some of those national championship years the SoCon teams took. Most of the posters on here ( as I had reaffirmed to me recently) recognize the quality of Wofford's team, coaching, and facilities.

I suspect there will be an adjustment once Ayers retires. Just as there will be when Moore leaves ASU.

GATA
October 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
First, let me say welcome to AGS. This is a place of great FCS conversation. Second, Wofford will have down years like everyone else. But, if you look at the trajectory the team has taken since joining the SoCon, I don't think they are a fading flash in the pan. Since 2003, the team has been at the top of the conference, except for a a couple of years. In fact, the terriers defeated ASU and GSU in some of those national championship years the SoCon teams took. Most of the posters on here ( as I had reaffirmed to me recently) recognize the quality of Wofford's team, coaching, and facilities.

I suspect there will be an adjustment once Ayers retires. Just as there will be when Moore leaves ASU.

What this guy said...

As long as Wofford keeps their option identity and "hard-nosed" approach to football, they will be a force in the SOCON. If they pull a BVG once Ayers leaves...they become Elon.

App1928
October 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM

That's true. It's just odd to compare Wofford to the big 2 in my opinon...wofford def has some well coached and great teams....I was more so looking at the body of work...sure, in any given year (or game) wofford can play with the best of them....but as far as winning titles and producing great teams...the history isnt there. ASU and GSU were top FCS teams even before they won national titles...a down year for ASU or GSU is 8-4....historically wofford isnt on this level....but again i more than acknowledge for the time being they are a hell of a ball club.

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM
That's true. It's just odd to compare Wofford to the big 2 in my opinon...wofford def has some well coached and great teams....I was more so looking at the body of work...sure, in any given year (or game) wofford can play with the best of them....but as far as winning titles and producing great teams...the history isnt there. ASU and GSU were top FCS teams even before they won national titles...a down year for ASU or GSU is 8-4....historically wofford isnt on this level....but again i more than acknowledge for the time being they are a hell of a ball club.
If you look at the record since we started in the 19th century with that game against The Purps, then no. The app game last week was our 1,000 game, BTW. But in the division 1 era, since the mid-90s, that record is much, much better. It has come to the point that we expect to go deep in the playoffs, if not all the way to the championship. We have not made it yet, but the trajectory is there, as sure as it was for ASU in the early 2000s.
By the way, historically many people talk about the Big 3 in SoCon football. GSU, ASU, and the Purple that cannot be named.xnodx

eaglesrthe1
October 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM

ASU 1992. 6-5. At large

Idaho 1995. 6-4. At large

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Oh boy, you're gonna rile some people up with that...

I agree with this to an extent. As long as Ayers is there, they will continue to be a force in the SoCon. What happens post-Ayers will determine whether Wofford stays the course as a major player.

And for the record, people have been saying the same thing about ASU since 2005...

I agree with you about Ayers. He has made the Wofford program what it is today. Hopefully his replacement when the time comes will be someone who has worked with him and can continue what he's put in place.

asumike83
October 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
ASU 1992. 6-5. At large

Idaho 1995. 6-4. At large

Appalachian was 7-4 in 1992, 7-5 after losing in the 1st round to Middle Tennessee.

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Appalachian was 7-4 in 1992, 7-5 after losing in the 1st round to Middle Tennessee.

I'm willing to bet that that 95 team had some exemption of some sort because they only played 10 games in the regular season.

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Also, Wofford has finished top 2 in the Socon for 4 of the last 5 years (and if we win out, 5 of the last 6). We've only had a record of less than 8 wins twice in the last 11 years.

If we continue this trend, all we need is an NC and I think it's safe to say we're "Up there" but then again, it took App many years of being one or two and done before taking home the crown, so I kind of don't buy the notion some GSU/App fans have in that we won't ever take home the national championship.

eaglewraith
October 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Also, Wofford has finished top 2 in the Socon for 4 of the last 5 years (and if we win out, 5 of the last 6). We've only had a record of less than 8 wins twice in the last 11 years.

If we continue this trend, all we need is an NC and I think it's safe to say we're "Up there" but then again, it took App many years of being one or two and done before taking home the crown, so I kind of don't buy the notion some GSU/App fans have in that we won't ever take home the national championship.

I'm still honestly shocked about that UNI game btw. Thought ya'll would make some noise in the playoffs last year like the year before.

eaglesrthe1
October 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Just going by this http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/appalachian_state/yearly_results.php?year=1990.

Edit: yep read it wrong. They were 7-4.

Yet, both of these teams were pre-expansion

Smitty
October 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
The Citadel @ Wofford
Furman @ Elon