PDA

View Full Version : Montana at North Dakota....The Blackout game!!!

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

UND (3-4) enters their much anticipated matchup with the Griz on a low-note after a 45-38 loss the Northern Arizona last week at homecoming. Montana (3-4) also is coming in to the game off a loss, losing to Southern Utah at home 30-20. Last weekend, both North Dakota schools and both Montana schools lost their football games – at home. Strange weekend. This season has been a tough one for the Montana faithful as they have already lost four games, something that is relatively unheard of in Missoula - for a full season. They are mathematically still eligible for the playoffs so we expect no quit in Montana and they shouldn’t leave anything on the table.

This weekends game is set for 2:40pm central time at the Alerus Center and will be televised nationally on ROOT Sports.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/blackout.jpg

I got my tickets and will be headed up to Grand Forks shortly. Get your black on!!!!!

344Johnson
October 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/blackout.jpg

I got my tickets and will be headed up to Grand Forks shortly. Get your black on!!!!!

Sorry Darell, I don't imagine this looking very good in the crowd. Not enough people will be there.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Sorry Darell, I don't imagine this looking very good in the crowd. Not enough people will be there.

If they were ever going to sell out a game that isn't against NDSU, this would be the one.

344Johnson
October 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
If they were ever going to sell out a game that isn't against NDSU, this would be the one.

Never ended up selling out that I am aware of, both teams with bad records. 3-4 records....just don't see the folks showing up.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Never ended up selling out that I am aware of, both teams with bad records. 3-4 records....just don't see the folks showing up.

If a Montana team can't get people into that tin shed, nothing outside of NDSU will.

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM

There's a lot of people, at least in E MT/W ND that have been waiting for this game for a while. I know there's a bus coming over from my home area. It's tough that it's ended up being an underachieving year for both teams, but there's still a wide range of interest in this game.

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM

They had almost 10,000 last week against NAU. The Griz travel very well. It may not be a sellout, but I imagine it will be pretty close.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I wish this game was in two weeks! Good luck to both! I still think the Griz can work their way back into the playofff discussion.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
They had almost 10,000 last week against NAU. The Griz travel very well. It may not be a sellout, but I imagine it will be pretty close.

I think UND pulls of the "upset" today at home, ending Montana's playoff hopes.

DJKyR0
October 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Should've gone with pink-out.

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I think UND pulls of the "upset" today at home, ending Montana's playoff hopes.

xconfusedx Not sure why you quoted my post. Anyway, since the most are picking UND, I think the "upset" would be a Griz win. Like you I put quotes around upset because neither team winning would really surprise me.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
xconfusedx Not sure why you quoted my post. Anyway, since the most are picking UND, I think the "upset" would be a Griz win. Like you I put quotes around upset because neither team winning would really surprise me.

My bad - meant to quote Lehigh's post about Montana working themselves back into the playoff picture with a win. Not sure what happened there...

Montana is favored by 4.5 points on 5dimes, and I quoted the word upset because I don't know if you can really call a UND win an upset. Like you said, this is a coin-flip game.

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
My bad - meant to quote Lehigh's post about Montana working themselves back into the playoff picture with a win. Not sure what happened there...

Montana is favored by 4.5 points on 5dimes, and I quoted the word upset because I don't know if you can really call a UND win an upset. Like you said, this is a coin-flip game.

xlolx That makes more sense. Well, except the part about Lehigh saying UM working themselves back into the playoff picture. xrotatehx

Kinda surprised the Griz are favored. The game comes down to 2 questions, IMO. Will the Griz put up enough points on a weak UND defense without committing 134 turnovers and will the Griz defense make just enough stops to get the win. UND is going to put points on the board.

frozennorth
October 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM

you clearly weren't at the game, probably 8k tops. UND's announced attendance often has little to do with reality when the students don't show up. and they didn't turn out last weekend at all.

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM
you clearly weren't at the game, probably 8k tops. UND's announced attendance often has little to do with reality when the students don't show up. and they didn't turn out last weekend at all.

Is there really that much else to do in GF on a Saturday?

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Is there really that much else to do in GF on a Saturday?

The Alerus is not on campus. If the desire isn't there, college students aren't going to go out of their way to watch football. Over the years I've had a great deal of friends at UND and it's a rare occasion when I hear anything about someone seeing a UND football game.

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking the Griz defensive game plan was to only guard the run. UND has 11 rushes for 10 yards, but their quarterback is 18-23 for 360 yards and 4 TD's and the game isn't even half done. Hardin has nearly 240 yards receiving.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
UND's QB has over 400 passing yards in the 1st half.....wow

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
UND is better than their record indicates. They will give MSU trouble next week imo.

Hambone
October 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
UND's defense has already given up 286 yards as well, though. Not good. But, I'll take a 14 point lead and 424 yards of total offense at the half.....

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Its 31-17 at the half. I am sitting here among Grizzly fans...very nice people. Big crowd but not a sellout, attendance hasn't been announced yet. The Grizz fans were surprised that they sold alcohol here at the Alerus.

Ginsbach
October 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Friend of mine posted a picture on Facebook. Looks pretty empty in the Alerus... big passing game for UND, though, and I'm excited to follow the second half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
TD Griz!

UND 31 UM 24 about 7 minutes left in 3Q

The crowd is disappointing!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Griz 34 UND 31 11:00 4Q

Not sure why UND elected to go for it on 4th and 1 from the Griz 15 or so. They should have kicked the FG...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
UND driving with about 5 minutes left...pick by Griz!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM
UND ties the game with a 35 yard FG left

34 all with 2 minutes left...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM
UND holds the Griz...should get the the ball back with 3 TO's left and about 40 seconds to work with...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
UND to the Griz 30 with 19 seconds left....

UND QB with a 629 yards passing, a new Big Sky record....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
TD UND!!

41-34 UND!!

UND receiver just broke another BSC record with 333 yards receiving!!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Best thing that could have happened to us to give a chance to win was for them to score. The kick would have given us nothing with not time.

clenz
October 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
If UND could find a way to not give up about 35 points per game they'd be a damn dangerous team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
If UND could find a way to not give up about 35 points per game they'd be a damn dangerous team.

They'll give the Bobcats fits next week imo.

ursus arctos horribilis
Well, didn't work out anyhow. Good job to UND. Our secondary just got owned, their line played real well and the QB and receivers were just outstanding today.

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Well, didn't work out anyhow. Good job to UND. Our secondary just got owned, their line played real well and the QB and receivers were just outstanding today.

I agree, but our coaches should be embarrassed by the way the called the game once we had the lead. Just stupid.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Not sure what to take from this. I know UND is going to call this a signature win but is it?

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Listened to this one on the radio. Not the best game to do that without getting too stressed. I lost count of how many times I heard the words "Hanson drops back, throws to a WIDE open receiver!" At the end, the und radio guys said something along the lines of "it seemed like Montana came here to stop the run and force UND to throw the ball and they never changed from that game plan. We thought they'd put extra help somewhere to stop some of the bleeding, but they never did." I just kept imagining our 2007 game with Eastern Washington when Aaron Boyce had something along the lines of 17 catches for 200 plus yards and always seemed to be open. EWU 'only' threw for 450 some yards that day though.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Not sure what to take from this. I know UND is going to call this a signature win but is it?

Not really, we've shown that we are a dangerous team to play but that we are really beatable and if you put a great deal of stock into beating us you are doing so because of historical Griz teams and not the team that is out there this year.

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Not really, we've shown that we are a dangerous team to play but that we are really beatable and if you put a great deal of stock into beating us you are doing so because of historical Griz teams and not the team that is out there this year.
This.

We're really not that good. We probably have the worst safeties in FCS. All UND did today was pick on our safeties to the tune of 660 yards.

If beating the worst Griz football team in 25 years is a signature win, I guess they can call it that. xcrazyx

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
They'll give the Bobcats fits next week imo.

YAWN. All you ever say is the Bobcats won't perform/are overrated (meanwhile ranking Lehigh at 10xrotatehx for convincing 2 pt wins over the likes of Liberty, who won by 8 over Concord (who the hell are they?). The Griz gave up 353 yards passing to EWU, which had me worried. Then MSU held them to 140 and without key monumental f'ups would have won the game. I'm not saying we keep UND scoreless, the offense is too good for that. But there is no evidence suggesting MSU is going to let them throw it all over the field (held one of FCS's better QB's in Sorenson to 250 at home).

dudeitsaid
October 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM
With the talent and recruiting that Montana has, beating them is a signature win for most teams. If Montana struggles in those areas for a few years, their reputation will change. But that won't happen. The Griz will be back at the top again next year IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM
YAWN. All you ever say is the Bobcats won't perform/are overrated (meanwhile ranking Lehigh at 10xrotatehx for convincing 2 pt wins over the likes of Liberty, who won by 8 over Concord (who the hell are they?). The Griz gave up 353 yards passing to EWU, which had me worried. Then MSU held them to 140 and without key monumental f'ups would have won the game. I'm not saying we keep UND scoreless, the offense is too good for that. But there is no evidence suggesting MSU is going to let them throw it all over the field (held one of FCS's better QB's in Sorenson to 250 at home).

Yawn, yet I have MSU ranked ahead of Lehigh at #8....

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yawn, yet I have MSU ranked ahead of Lehigh at #8....

WTF does that have to do with anything? Lehigh has shown NOTHING worthy of a top 10 vote. MSU lost by 3 to the #1 ranked team by handing them the game.

Back to the topic, MSU has given up over 300 yards twice this year, and it was when 2 key pass rushers were out. Against SUU and EWU, both supposedly high octane pass offenses, we held them to 250 and 140 yards passing, respectively.

If we hold UND to under 350 yards passing, I like our chances...

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Congrats and good game UND. Once again our coaching staff stomp firmly on their dicks and give away a game we could have easily won.
Is it basketball season yet?

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just got back to Fargo, my voice hurts like hell. As for the game itself Montana should have won it. UND played horrible in the third quarter and Montana's recievers dropped passes one of them would've been a TD. Our defense continues to suck. If UM would have stopped Hanson we would've been destroyed. As for the fans, I was sitting next to a couple Grizzlies fan and in front of us were Montana fans from Sidney. They were the nicest people. 100% class act all the way. They cheered, they brought the cowbell, it was nice to a conversation with them the whole game. They drank a lot of beer to keep the Grand Forks economy going. They said we had a nice building and the game was great that it came down to the end. A guy said if they would have had their star RB he would have made some big plays up the middle (I believe it!). Great people, and they said its too bad us two teams couldn't play every year. I told him UND's "rival games" were Montana State and Northern Colorado, but UM will be in Grand Forks the next two years (2013 is a non-conference game to make up the end of the home and home from 2010) and then conference play resumes in 2014. Great game, I really thought OT was coming. I could have killed Mussman when UND had 3 time outs and 1:30 left in the first half and he pissed it away by running the clock out. I told my dad 14 points against our defense is not a safe lead. Hanson and Hardin...UND's version of Montana to Rice, awesome connection. 660 yards for Hanson and 330 for Hardin...holy crap!!! If only our defense was strong. Oh for you NDSU fans...there was a guy among the Montana fans about 5 or 6 sections over wearing a Bison shirt...guess who he was cheering for. I hope our offense shows up against MSU, just leave the crappy defense at home.

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Congrats and good game UND. Once again our coaching staff stomp firmly on their dicks and give away a game we could have easily won.
Is it basketball season yet?

November 5th at Kansas State for the UND team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Holy crap.....660 yards of passing and Hardin had 330....wow!

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Cal Poly held UND to 17 points and shut our offense down. It is stoppable, plus we are in Bozeman its going to be very difficult to win. (I picked this game at the beginning of the year as a loss, most UND fans did).

putter
October 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Montana fans knew the secondary would be it's weak spot and it is holding true. Have the lead against a QB that Montana made to look like Joe Montana today and they go to a cover 4! The Griz's safeties are terrible and it showed today. The coaches are losing this team and it could be a long rest of the year.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
With the talent and recruiting that Montana has, beating them is a signature win for most teams. If Montana struggles in those areas for a few years, their reputation will change. But that won't happen. The Griz will be back at the top again next year IMO.
I'd agree with ya and do to an extent because we have a lot of talented kids out there but it is a major quagmire right now because there are some issues with getting those young guys to perform in the defensive system and I just am not sure if it's due to inexperience, coaching, but most likely just a combination of both.

Right now it's just not a good team but I am happy to have it be a signature win in a year when we just aren't a good team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Cal Poly held UND to 17 points and shut our offense down. It is stoppable, plus we are in Bozeman its going to be very difficult to win. (I picked this game at the beginning of the year as a loss, most UND fans did).

MSU is a solid favorite at home without a doubt. With that said, today proved the middle of the pack Big Sky teams can be a headache for the leaders.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 10:00 PM
WTF does that have to do with anything? Lehigh has shown NOTHING worthy of a top 10 vote. MSU lost by 3 to the #1 ranked team by handing them the game.

Back to the topic, MSU has given up over 300 yards twice this year, and it was when 2 key pass rushers were out. Against SUU and EWU, both supposedly high octane pass offenses, we held them to 250 and 140 yards passing, respectively.

If we hold UND to under 350 yards passing, I like our chances...

What does attacking Lehigh as his team have to do with this as well since we're on that? He only said UND would give MSU problems...not beat them, give them some trouble and I think they will as well. He may think MSU has been just getting by, he also know that Lehigh has also been just getting by and you state that he has Lehight ranked at #10 and to show his consistency in still thinking MSU is good has them at #8...I don't get this anymore.

Does everything turn into a dem/rep type debate now or what is this stuff about? I'm asking seriously not trying to come down on ya or be a dick but I didn't see anything that egregious in what he said?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
MSU is a solid favorite at home without a doubt. With that said, today proved the middle of the pack Big Sky teams can be a headache for the leaders.

It's alway been that way though so there is nothing new in that part of it.

frozennorth
October 20th, 2012, 10:31 PM
couple comments:

students were a complete no-show. Another generation of potential football fans is being lost. oh well butthockey season.

The call for interfering with the punt reception appear to be a bad call, never saw a replay though to confirm. Looked to me like the UND blocker drove the montana player into the receiver.

the running game was awful

both teams defenses were awful.

Oh for you NDSU fans...there was a guy among the Montana fans about 5 or 6 sections over wearing a Bison shirt...
i saw around a dozen ndsu shirts, mostly on the sub-20 crowd. Not a surprise though when the home crowd is almost entirely geriatric and UND has lost the under-30 crowd.

MSU is going to pound UND i think.

Grizo406
October 20th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Montana fans knew the secondary would be it's weak spot and it is holding true. Have the lead against a QB that Montana made to look like Joe Montana today and they go to a cover 4! The Griz's safeties are terrible and it showed today. The coaches are losing this team and it could be a long rest of the year.

I thing I saw concrete proof of that in today's game. Looked to me like a few players had the initials "BH" written on their arm.

Don't know what those initials meant, but I have a pretty good idea...

Despite not winning the big one, I miss him too!!!

darell1976
October 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
couple comments:

students were a complete no-show. Another generation of potential football fans is being lost. oh well butthockey season.

The call for interfering with the punt reception appear to be a bad call, never saw a replay though to confirm. Looked to me like the UND blocker drove the montana player into the receiver.

the running game was awful

both teams defenses were awful.

i saw around a dozen ndsu shirts, mostly on the sub-20 crowd. Not a surprise though when the home crowd is almost entirely geriatric and UND has lost the under-30 crowd.

MSU is going to pound UND i think.

You think maybe the students didn't show because of the disappointment from the last 3 weeks including 2 home losses in that stretch. Fans are sick of our defense and most thought Montana would have a field day which they did running and throwing on our very pathetic defense. As for the fair catch interference call Grizz fans thought it was but some fans who saw replays said it wasn't. As for the NDSU shirts...which one were you wearing.

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
The interference call was simply unlucky- no other way to call it but as interference. The Griz player ran/was screened into the space where the ball came down. He made a good effort to get out of the way when the returner moved up but couldn't slow down quick enough and couldn't move left because of the ND blocker. I wouldn't call it a "bad call".

I'm going with a sick/deceased relative re: Hardy having "BH" on his arm. "H" = Hardy. I didn't see any other player with that written on them. I really don't know though.

darell1976
October 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM
The interference call was simply unlucky- no other way to call it but as interference. The Griz player ran/was screened into the space where the ball came down. He made a good effort to get out of the way when the returner moved up but couldn't slow down quick enough and couldn't move left because of the ND blocker. I wouldn't call it a "bad call".

I'm going with a sick/deceased relative re: Hardy having "BH" on his arm. "H" = Hardy. I didn't see any other player with that written on them. I really don't know though.

There was bad calls on both sides. UND had a TD not called, the pick off the turf was off the turf. (this I got from people watching the game on tv and seeing replays, I only saw it live in person and didn't see replays). The refs were far from perfect. It was a classic shootout. I cannot wait to see Montana in the Alerus next season and the season after that.

CopperCat
October 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM

Uhhh I'm pretty sure UM is not a "leader" at this point.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 10:35 AM

Nope but EWU and NAU are and the Griz nearly took both out.

WeAreNorthDakota
October 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM

I believe he was referring to Portland State and Sac State giving Poly and EWU tough games yesterday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
I believe he was referring to Portland State and Sac State giving Poly and EWU tough games yesterday.

That as well...

CopperCat
October 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Nope but EWU and NAU are and the Griz nearly took both out.

So now you're a griz apologist? Dude, you need to move a couple hundred miles down I-90.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM
So now you're a griz apologist? Dude, you need to move a couple hundred miles down I-90.

I'm the biggest griz apologist there is. I have a big griz flag outside and while my place regularly gets egged, I find the cause worth it. I've even decided to cancel my flight home for Lehigh Lafayette just so I can make the pilgrimage to Missoula in the name of Mounty. Praise to Dave Dickenson...

Seriously though, I'm disappointed I might not have a chance to get to a game this year. I planned on going to this weeks game but work is going to get in the way.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM

Apologist? He's stating facts.

darell1976
October 21st, 2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/10/21/go-figure-alabama-aj-mccarron-louisiana-tech-colby-cameron/1647191/

333: Receiving yards by North Dakota's Greg Hardin, a Big Sky record, on 12 catches in a 40-34 win against Montana. He broke the record on a 32-yard TD catch with 12 seconds left. UND QB Braden Hanson was 42-for-61 for 660 yards and five TDs.

Nice mention in the USA Today.

Grizo406
October 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM

You're probably right, FCS.

UNDBIZ
October 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I and most knowledgable UND fans I know are not calling this a signature win as we realize the Griz are down this year. Of course there will be some dumber fans calling this a signature win and the media probably has/will too because they need to attempt to create excitement about their articles by embellishing stories.

darell1976
October 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
I and most knowledgable UND fans I know are not calling this a signature win as we realize the Griz are down this year. Of course there will be some dumber fans calling this a signature win and the media probably has/will too because they need to attempt to create excitement about their articles by embellishing stories.

I call it a good win but not even close to a signature win. Beating a team for a playoff spot and/or conference title would be a signature win.

DJKyR0
October 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
Serious question, did Mussman get a Gatorade bath?

SDFS
October 22nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
I call it a good win but not even close to a signature win. Beating a team for a playoff spot and/or conference title would be a signature win.

So, the win last year against USD was a signature win. I really think the whole discussion about signature win is stupid. But, UND and NDSU fans need something new to argue about. So carry on..

darell1976
October 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
So, the win last year against USD was a signature win. I really think the whole discussion about signature win is stupid. But, UND and NDSU fans need something new to argue about. So carry on..

For 2011 that win over USD to give us a share of the GWFC Title was the signature win. For 2012 Montana State would be close (if we win but I doubt it) to a signature win but since its not for a playoff or a title then its just another good win.

deez_na
October 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Griz 34 UND 31 11:00 4Q

Not sure why UND elected to go for it on 4th and 1 from the Griz 15 or so. They should have kicked the FG...

Mussman can't coach and needs to go, that's why.

Grizo406
October 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Mussman can't coach and needs to go, that's why.

Suppose he would be interest in coming to Montana?

frozennorth
October 22nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
As for the NDSU shirts...which one were you wearing.

since you are so concerned with my fashion choices, I was wearing a brown plain collared shirt, jeans, and an obnoxious bright orange jacket. Stood in the endzone, near the montana section with my montana relatives. Thank you for your interest sir.

asfor the students not showing, I think the athletics office has run out of leeway to get students to the games. Not that you would know, but they busted some *** getting underclassmen, particularly freshmen, to the game the first couple weeks. Attendance started dropping before they started losing.