PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Expansion? Idaho?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM
A teleconference regarding expansion of the Big Sky Conference will take place today at 5:30 p.m. Mountain, 4:30 p.m. Pacific.

Gotta be Idaho. Right?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM
The Idaho Vandals will play at least five home games as part of its 2013 football schedule as a Football Bowl Subdivision independent. Idaho will move its other sports programs to the Big Sky in 2014-15, Athletic Director Rob Spear told the Idaho Statesman on Friday.

Idaho will hold a conference call at 5:30 Mountain to announce the decision. Five of the games are at the Kibbie Dome in Moscow, satisfying NCAA requirements.

Idaho will announce 11 games with plans for a 12th game.

In addition to previously announced games at Wyoming (Sept. 7), vs. Northern Illinois (Sept. 14), at Washington State (Sept. 21) and at Mississippi (Oct. 26), Idaho will announce games home games with Temple, Fresno State, New Mexico State and Old Dominion and away games with North Texas, Arkansas State and New Mexico State, the Idaho Statesman has learned.

The Vandals will play two games with New Mexico State, which is also making the move to FBS independence.

Idaho is currently a member of the WAC and will remain in the league for other spots in 2013-14 before returning to the Big Sky. The WAC will not sponsor football in 2013.

Read more here: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/10/19/bmurphy/idaho_announe_2013_football_schedule_today_move_ot her_sports_big#storylink=cpy

Gotta be Step One towards FCS.

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
All sports but football. I'm guessing this is a gradual step to get Idaho in for football eventually, which is a logical conclusion when you look at travel. It is too hard for someone in the Rockies to be an independent. Of course BYU would say otherwise. But they aren't Notre Dame, either.

I still wonder what will happen to New Mexico State.

dgtw
October 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm glad they were able to get a schedule together for next year, I wonder how many of those deals are home/home.

The Big Sky is a good fit for them. There women's swimming team and men's golf team will have to find a new home, the only Big Sky sport they don't do is softball.

frozennorth
October 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
nmsu

NoCoDanny
October 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Gets the total from 11 to 12 for sports other than football which is good the odd numbers suck in sports like basketball.

Mr. C
October 19th, 2012, 09:48 PM
As a Fresno State alum, I don't see any reason that my Dogs would go to Idaho for a road game. Not the type of schools I want to see us playing. Maybe the Vandals could come to Fresno twice?

Mr. C
October 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I think eventually, the Idaho Vandals will rejoin the Big Sky in football. It just makes too much sense.