PDA

View Full Version : Favorite memory as a fan

Mattymc727
October 19th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Simple question to pass the time on a slow friday afternoon. What is your favorite memory of your team, doesnt have to be playoffs.

Id have to say mine is the very first moment I saw UNH on tv in 2004, when UNH beat Georgia Southern at their place. Ive been hooked ever since. There have been some great memories since (all of the UNI playoff games come to mind), but they usually ended in heartbreak unfortunately.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM
It would have to be seeing UND in person for the first time with my dad. 1984 for hockey (a loss to Colorado College) and in 1985 for football against East Stroudsburg, PA (UND won that game). It was a special time and we have now gone to games together for 27 years (including tomorrow's UND-Montana game) but that first game will always be in the mind as my favorite.

gsu_paintballer
October 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I started following GSU in 2006

My top three, in no particular order:
GSU beating ASU in overtime in 2010 to start a run to the semis.
GSU breaking ASU's home winning streak in 2007
GSU beating W&M on the road in 2010 with a dominant second half

Apphole
October 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I was a freshman in 2007. My top 5. No order

Final play to beat Richmond in the quarter finals in 2010.
Beating #5 BCS Michigan (The first App game I watched as a student)
Winning the third title
Beating #1 GaSo at The Rock last year
Seeing the ridiculous comeback at Chatty two years ago.

cbarrier90
October 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Wondering why the heck my friends and I had driven five hours to Chattanooga in 2010 down 28-7 at the half and remembering why by the end of the game.

Everyone in my dorm's lobby going crazy when Jacque Roman got a pick in the Montana game in 2009.

Returning the favor and rushing the field against GSU in 2011.

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
In no order.

Steve Walker to Cole Heckendorf pass to win the game against SFA. My dad and I went to the game in our suits because a wedding ending before game and reception was after.
Kicking GSU's *** last year in the playoffs after they bought out the home and home game to get into the Playoffs earlier that year.
Frisco, Nuff said.

NHwildEcat
October 19th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Watching UNH/UMass with my dad. Got to see Azumah run all over the place...cannot recall the year, 96 or 97 if I venture a guess.

The part that sticks out the most is my father did something sports related with me even though I am sure he was less enthused with the events of the day. (He is not a sports fan in any way). But he took me and my brother. Those were the years when he still worked on campus. Long ago now.

But I have been hooked to UNH since!

LUHawker
October 19th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Very difficult question, particularly as memory fades.

For me, I'd note two or three "favorite" memories of LU.

First was the 2001 playoff victory over CAA/A-10 Champ Hofstra at the first-ever post-season game at Lehigh. First time I ever saw fans rush the field that was at a non-Lafayette game.

Second was the 2011 playoff victory over CAA Champ Towson at Towson. Great, exciting game in a great atmosphere.

Third was the 2008 victory over Lafayette at Lafayette that snapped a four-game loss streak. Most memorable moment was John Kennedy's interception at the 5 that he took back for 6 and put the game away for an underdog LU team.

Most memorable, but not necessarily favorite, LU memory was the 1991 Lehigh-Holy Cross game at Goodman where after a very low scoring 1st half, the two teams put on a spectacle in the second half, including a fumblerooski. Undefeated Holy Cross, ranked No. 3 in the country, and unbeaten and 19th-ranked Lehigh combine for 1,172 yards and 85 points — all but 14 in the second half — in a Patriot League game won by the Crusaders 43-42 before the (then) second-largest crowd (14,055) in Goodman Stadium history. Holy Cross' win is secured when the Mountain Hawks' bid for a game-winning two-point conversion with 2:17 left results in an incomplete pass. Extremely emotional game.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM
See my signature picture below. The Big Hurt in the closing seconds of Laf-Lehigh 2005.

Being at the Halladay no-hitter and at the Phills winning the 2008 WS is up there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Most memorable, but not necessarily favorite, LU memory was the 1991 Lehigh-Holy Cross game at Goodman where after a very low scoring 1st half, the two teams put on a spectacle in the second half, including a fumblerooski. Undefeated Holy Cross, ranked No. 3 in the country, and unbeaten and 19th-ranked Lehigh combine for 1,172 yards and 85 points — all but 14 in the second half — in a Patriot League game won by the Crusaders 43-42 before the (then) second-largest crowd (14,055) in Goodman Stadium history. Holy Cross' win is secured when the Mountain Hawks' bid for a game-winning two-point conversion with 2:17 left results in an incomplete pass. Extremely emotional game.

I agree with this. Even though it was a loss and it was 21 years ago, this is my favorite memory. Easily the most incredible football game I've ever seen. There's a reason it was voted the #2 game in stadium history despite the outcome. I believe ESPN showed highlights and even offered updates throughout the game. It got considerable national attention. HC was ranked in the Top 5 and Lehigh was probably Top 15.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Beck's interception in the NC. I knew it was over at that moment.

asumike83
October 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Chattanooga, TN 2005: Marques Murrell getting a sack fumble and Jason Hunter scooping it up for a touchdown to put Appalachian ahead 21-16 and get our first national title. It was my senior year in college and was as happy as I have ever been at a sporting event. I will remember that moment the rest of my life.

LUHawker
October 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I agree with this. Even though it was a loss and it was 21 years ago, this is my favorite memory. Easily the most incredible football game I've ever seen. There's a reason it was voted the #2 game in stadium history despite the outcome. I believe ESPN showed highlights and even offered updates throughout the game. It got considerable national attention. HC was ranked in the Top 5 and Lehigh was probably Top 15.

Agreed. Most incredible game I've ever witnessed, or seen, frankly. And you are correct that ESPN showed highlights and updates throughout. A friend of mine who was at Rutgers called after the game to ask what the hell was going on there because he said ESPN was constantly cutting in to show/comment on updates.

It was an exhilirating and draining game all at the same time.

blueballs
October 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Here are my 5:

#1- 1985 NC game>>> "The Catch"
#2- 1989 NC game>>> Erk's final game 15-0-0
#3a- 1999 NC game>>> "The Run"
#3b- 2000 NC game>>> "The Son of The Run"
#5- 1999 quarterfinals>>>> Adrian Peterson rushed for 333 yards and 5 TD's in a revenge game against UMass

WrenFGun
October 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM
http://unhwildcats.com/stats/football/2008/game12.htm#GAME.NEW

It was this one for me.

It was the last game of the season, and both teams were fighting for a playoff spot. As I recall, UNH was 8-2 and Maine was 8-3 entering the game, so the winner was certainly in the playoffs, though there was some debate as to whether or not the loser would get in.

It was snowing as we left Newmarket, NH, and it didn't stop for the entire game. It was probably 10 degrees outside. There were a stunning number of UNH fans there, to the point where it was at most 60/40 for fans in Maine's favor. I remember taking turns with friends running over to the snack area just to warm up because it was SO cold. When Maine scored to get it to 24-21, it looked hopeless as the weather was ridiculous and it was mostly a field position game.

We were so loud on our side that the UNH players started kind of look at the fan section in relative amazement that were so loud. When Mike Boyle scored the TD (amazing TD) in the snow, it was one of the craziest reactions I can remember on as a fan on the sidelines. When Terrance Klein got the final INT, I remember the players actually basically coming into the stands to give everyone high fives. It was a really great moment and a terrific game.

It was also unbelievable to see Brusko play for Maine. What a tough SOB. One of my favorite non-UNH players of all time.

Mattymc727
October 19th, 2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11BhSoI3PCc

Not football related, but this was the first time I ever saw NH on the big stage. To this day i still hate the state of Maine...

Smitty
October 19th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Standing on the goal post after winning against App in 2004

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/bonsaiburke/goalpost.png

The Eagle's Cliff
October 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM
December 9, 1989 vs Montana Semi-final playoff.

The Eagles headed into the game 13-0 with the "Drive to Dixie" NC game being held at Paulson for the first time in a three game contract. I was crammed in the student section with numb toes from the sleet to see our Eagles run away with it in the second half for a final of 45-15. The following week was great, of course, as Erk's last game and the cap on 15-0, but the Montana game is very memorable for some reason.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Watching the Bobcats end the miserable streak in the Brawl of the Wild. Talked my roommate into braving the snowy drive to the Zoo even w/o tickets b/c I had a feeling about our true freshman QB, Travis Lulay. Though we were unable to obtain tickets, we found shelter from the wind just outside the stadium after tailgating at halftime. That would have been fine, but a bartender for the Sky Club came out for a smoke break. After chatting (and sharing a left handed cigarette) with him, he invited us into the club. We reminded him we were NOT Grizzly fans (and were decked out in Cat gear), but he didn't care.

Watching the streak end from a UM club seating, whooping it up as the clock ticked down with elder Griz fans/alumni surrounding us wondering how the hell we got in was PRICELESS! :Dxnodx

Tuscon
October 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Blurry pic, but inaugural game with 30k+ fans. Incredible experience.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Blurry pic, but inaugural game with 30k+ fans. Incredible experience.

Where did they all go? xlolx

Grizalltheway
October 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Regular season: 2008, watching the Griz run out in the old school colors, followed by an epic ***-whipping of the cats. xbowx

Playoffs: all of 2009, minus the last one.

Jazzman1522
October 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Having grown up in Ohio, I knew next to nothing about Eastern Kentucky football prior to going to school. I especially had no idea about the Battle of the Bluegrass between Eastern and Western Kentucky. My first game as a student (And a member of the band who, up to that point, wasn't enjoying the experience) was the last installment of that rivalry with both teams as full FCS members. Eastern hadn't won since 1999 but they beat Western that night 21-17(?). There were close to 20,000 people at the game, and the students rushed the field afterwards, and (stupidly, one might argue) tore down the goalpost. I had no idea how much passion could exist for FCS football prior to that game. It saddens me that that rivalry is essentially dead now and I have not seen a crowd at Roy Kidd Stadium anywhere near that big since.

A few others:

In 2008, Ryan Perrilloux transferred from LSU to Jacksonville State, making them the new favorite to win the OVC. It was Dean Hood's first year at Eastern and it was not off to a pretty start. Perrilloux threw 5 interceptions against Eastern that year, we won 38-35, if I recall correctly, and essentially turned the season around to win the OVC.

Two years later, in 2010, Jacksonville State came to Richmond again (They've become my favorite team for Eastern to beat, I think). This time they were undefeated (including a win over Ole Miss) and were ranked 2nd in the country. Eastern was at an all-time low, coming off of it's first losing season in over 30 years, and it looked like we were headed for another one. We upset the Gamecocks that night and ended up with #1 play on SportsCenter the next day when Tyrone Goard got pulled to the ground in the endzone but still made the catch when the ball pretty much landed on top of him. That turned another season around and I think we finished 6-5 that year. That was also the only game I was able to attend with my friends that season, my senior year.

Tuscon
October 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Where did they all go? xlolx

Been asking ourselves that question ever since.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Standing atop the hill at the back of the major tailgating lot at sunset in mid December, looking out over a sea of Eagle fans with BBQs and small fires going, getting ready for the semifinal matchup with defending champion Villanova on the red turf. ESPN's big trucked in lights lit up the stadium, smoke filled the air. The game that ensued was an awesome one to behold, sending EWU to our first National Championship game.

HailSzczur
October 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Anything surrounding the 09 NC run is up there, but I think my favorite memories are "the weather games". You know what I'm talking about, be it "the blizzard game", "the monsoon game", "the hurricane game", "the cold as balls game", or whatever you call them. The games where every time you tell the story there's another inch of precipitation or the wind chill drops another 5 degrees. The kind of games were your wives, girlfriends, parents, kids, and whoever else thinks your absolutely crazy for even thinking about going.

Personally my favorites are the snow games.
#1 Nova over UNH in the playoffs in 09. It's oh so satisfying to demolish a team from up North in the snow, especially in the playoffs.
#2 Maine over Nova 2011. First time doing one of these as college student. We tried to help out the shoveling crew but they wouldn't let us :(
#3 Nova over Fordham in the playoffs in 02

SpeedkingATL
October 19th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Have to do a top 5 since I've been around for a LONG time:

5-Attending App's hugh comeback to beat UTC in 2010 in Finley Stadium
4-Attending App's 3rd straight NAtional Championship victory in 2007 in Finley Stadium
3-Attending App's victory over a ranked South Carolina squad in 1975 in Columbia
2-Attending the Upset at the Big House in 2007
1-Attending App's 1st 1-AA Championship in 2005 in Finley Stadium

Hope to have some more great App memories in the very near future!

AppStsGr8
October 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM
What a great way to spend a Friday afternoon when I've finally gotten one off of work!

There are many that relate nearly as much to the people around me as to the event itself.

1 - App's first national championship - our younger son's freshman year at App - he had mentioned when he was narrowing down his college choices that he wanted to go to a school that had football - Richie Williams limping down the field leading the offense - Murrell and Hunter.
2 - App's second national championship - younger son's sophomore year at App - driving to Chattanooga not quite two weeks after shoulder surgery because nothing was going to stop me from seeing that game.
3 - App's third national championship - younger son's junior year at App - making a poster with Santa's checklist for Appalachian - the poster is still in the App cave at our house

Here I must admit that it may make sense to send that kid back to school. xlolx

4 - Being at the game in Ann Arbor, 9/1/07
5 - Hallowe'en night game against Wofford at The Rock in 2008.

That's the tip of the iceberg. It's the Appalachian family that makes all those memories so great.

CrazyCat
October 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sitting in the end-zone as a Soph. in High School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_g75xFv-I

poly51
October 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM
1. Cal Poly 21 Eastern Illinois 13 1980 DII National Championship Game (Zia Bowl-National TV)
2. DII Cal Poly 26 D1A Fresno State 0 1979 (In person)
3. FCS Cal Poly 29 FBS San Diego State 27 2008 @ Qualcomm (In person)
4. FCS Cal Poly 16 FBS San Diego State 14 2006 @ Qualcomm
5. DII Cal Poly 23 D1AA Boise State 20 1980 (Boise State was the 1980 1AA National Champion Cal Poly the 1980 DII National Champ.) (In person)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
1. Undefeated and ranked Lehigh loses a heart breaker 43-42 to #3 HC in 1991, game makes national news
2. Lehigh beats Delaware in Newark on homecoming in 1999.
3. Lehigh hammers WIU 37-7 in the playoffs in 2000. The WIU fans were talking so much smack. Lehigh could have hit 60 if they wanted to.
4. Lehigh dominates Colgate in 1998 to signal the programs return to prominence
5. Lehigh beats Hofstra in the playoffs on 2001, students rush the field, lots of fun....

bisonboone11
October 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
In no order.

Steve Walker to Cole Heckendorf pass to win the game against SFA. My dad and I went to the game in our suits because a wedding ending before game and reception was after.
Kicking GSU's *** last year in the playoffs after they bought out the home and home game to get into the Playoffs earlier that year.
Frisco, Nuff said.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Sam Houston State game? That is one of my favorite memories. SHSU scored with 26 seconds left to go up 38-34. Kicked it short (NDSU got the ball at their own 46-yard line). NDSU scored with 7 seconds left on a pass from Walker to Heckendorf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Have to do a top 5 since I've been around for a LONG time:

In a similar fashion:

#5 - The game ending punt return by Scotty McGee to beat Richmond in 2008
#4 - Hosting App St. in 2008 for a regular season revenge game after the fumble in the playoffs the year before at the Rock. Down 21-0 at the half, our Dukes came storming back and that was the craziest BFS has ever been in terms of crowd, etc.
#3 - Beating W&M on the road in the 2004 semifinals. The tailgate, the crowd, the rivalry, the first night game at Zable Stadium, the first JMU football game on ESPN = amazing night with spectacular highlights (see D D Boxley's TD catch, for example).
#2 - Taking down VT at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg on Sept. 11, 2010. Not many teams ever come out of there with a win. Only 2nd team behind App.St. to beat a top 25 FBS team. Sitting with VT fans and supporting my team was priceless that day. Never was a nasty, rainy day so joy-filled!
#1 - JMU's 1st National Championship. It just doesn't get sweeter than that! xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
October 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
December 9, 1989 vs Montana Semi-final playoff.

The Eagles headed into the game 13-0 with the "Drive to Dixie" NC game being held at Paulson for the first time in a three game contract. I was crammed in the student section with numb toes from the sleet to see our Eagles run away with it in the second half for a final of 45-15. The following week was great, of course, as Erk's last game and the cap on 15-0, but the Montana game is very memorable for some reason.

If I remember correctly, it was that game that changed the Montana defensive strategy to faster guys. Up to that point, I believe Montana thought they could get by on size alone.

SeattleGriz
October 19th, 2012, 03:14 PM
The Appalachian State game in 2009. After that I would actually have to say the Delaware game. Cold as hell and a ridiculous amount of points scored in the last couple of minutes. The momentum went back and forth.

Sader87
October 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sitting in the end-zone as a Soph. in High School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_g75xFv-I

Great win....vaguely remember that. HC beat URI 19-0 in 1984 btw....just sayin'

The Eagle's Cliff
October 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
If I remember correctly, it was that game that changed the Montana defensive strategy to faster guys. Up to that point, I believe Montana thought they could get by on size alone.

I know it was the first of only three meetings between our schools. The 1995 Quarter Final in Mizzoula was an interesting 45-0 Grizz route of Ga Southern. I say "interesting" because it's the only game any Eagle fans can recall where our guys were fighting with each other to get off the field and back to the heatersxlolx

RichH2
October 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
So many yrs, so many games. Natl Championship in 77.
Jack Rizzo demolishing Pards.
UMass goaline stand.
THE CATCH. Klingerman
Towson win
UNH OT game
Dozens more some bad but more good. Very lucky to be an Engineer.

Grizalltheway
October 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I know it was the first of only three meetings between our schools. The 1995 Quarter Final in Mizzoula was an interesting 45-0 Grizz route of Ga Southern. I say "interesting" because it's the only game any Eagle fans can recall where our guys were fighting with each other to get off the field and back to the heatersxlolx

xlolx

I think everyone team from south of the Mason-Dixon that's played there can relate.

bojeta
October 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Would have to be 1980 when Cal Poly not only defeated Eastern Illinois to win the DII National Championship, but defeated Boise State (Div I-AA Champions) on the way. I could be argued they were champs of both divisions that year :) I remember hearing the results as I drove up to San Luis Obispo from Santa Barabara.

carney2
October 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Still waiting...and hoping.

bojeta
October 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Great win....vaguely remember that. HC beat URI 19-0 in 1984 btw....just sayin'

That is pretty cool!

VUCats02
October 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
1. 2010. At Delaware. Sitting in Delaware's student section. Nova is 6-4 and must win to get in. Battle of the Blue with Pat Devlin and his high powered fighting blue hen offense. Game ends up going into overtime. Delaware is on the 1 yard line trying to knock it into the endzone to go to a 2nd overtime. They fumble on a botched snap and Nova recovers. Drunk Blue Hen student passes out and ambulance comes to take him away.

2. National Championship game against Montana in Chatanooga. Walk into a restaurant for breakfast morning of the national championship. There were about 20 tables inside of the restaurant. 19 of them were occupied by Montana fans.

3. UNH Snow Bowl in the playoffs in 2009. Students hurling snow balls every time UNH entered and left the field.

4. Matt Szczur's 5 touchdown, 3 receiving, 1 passing, 1 running performance in Nova's rout of App State in 2010

WrenFGun
October 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Anything surrounding the 09 NC run is up there, but I think my favorite memories are "the weather games". You know what I'm talking about, be it "the blizzard game", "the monsoon game", "the hurricane game", "the cold as balls game", or whatever you call them. The games where every time you tell the story there's another inch of precipitation or the wind chill drops another 5 degrees. The kind of games were your wives, girlfriends, parents, kids, and whoever else thinks your absolutely crazy for even thinking about going.

Personally my favorites are the snow games.
#1 Nova over UNH in the playoffs in 09. It's oh so satisfying to demolish a team from up North in the snow, especially in the playoffs.
#2 Maine over Nova 2011. First time doing one of these as college student. We tried to help out the shoveling crew but they wouldn't let us :(
#3 Nova over Fordham in the playoffs in 02

I've NEVER been more disgusted than #1. The team didn't even show up.

Sader87
October 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Like many here...lucky to have a plethora to choose from:

A 1-9 HC defeating a heavily favored BC 35-20 in 1977.

Beating Colgate 21-18 in 1983...both were Top 5 1-AA at the time.

A very, very hard-fought 17-14 win at Army in 1986.

Defeating Princeton 30-26 in 1988 on a "Cal-Stanford kick-off return."

Many others...these were all in person, top of my head.

Sam_Kats
October 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM
1. Watching Flanders & the #1 Kats gash Griz defense for 287 en route to NC game
2. Sitting at a bar watching Dustin Long bring the #9 Kats back against EWU in Cheney to score TD as time expired winning 35-34. After that, I don't remember much.
3. Kats beating NDSU 48-45 @ Bowers

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM

This ****ing lie again.

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Simple question to pass the time on a slow friday afternoon. What is your favorite memory of your team, doesnt have to be playoffs.

Id have to say mine is the very first moment I saw UNH on tv in 2004, when UNH beat Georgia Southern at their place. Ive been hooked ever since. There have been some great memories since (all of the UNI playoff games come to mind), but they usually ended in heartbreak unfortunately.

Ugh I froze my *** off in misery at that game. Thanks for bringing that painful memory back up.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM
5. Beating JMU in the playoffs when they fumbled late-great nail biter.

4. AE's freakish performance against Richmond in the national semifinal.

3. The miracle on the mountain.

2. The win at Michigan-didn't expect to get to see it, but found out that I had the Big-10 network that day.

1. The first NC game-especially Richie's gutty performance coming off the bench and playing injured (this one was also nice because we beat Furman to get there).

There are plenty of others, including the other NC games and the Wofford halloween game, but those all stand out.

Gordon Shumway
October 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Mine goes back a bit further....1973. :D The first time UNH ever beat Dartmouth, and the most satisfying game I have ever attended. Shortly thereafter UNH went on a 17-0-1 streak against "the holier than thou" boys from across the state before they said "no mas", and postponed the last two games under contract (and probably the last two forever).

penguinpower
October 19th, 2012, 05:17 PM
1999 National semifinal game YSU vs Florida A&M. Come from behind victory with seconds left. The stands emptied to the tailgate lot. I was one of probably 200 that stayed and saw the win.

Silenoz
October 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
vs App State 2009
vs South Dakota State 2009
Championships (the first one is definitely a distant memory, but I still remember the cold as hell SFA semi-final xconfusedx )

Beating the **** out of Idaho with a surprise triple option scheme at home in 2003 was pretty awesome too

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Mine goes back a bit further....1973. :D The first time UNH ever beat Dartmouth, and the most satisfying game I have ever attended. Shortly thereafter UNH went on a 17-0-1 streak against "the holier than thou" boys from across the state before they said "no mas", and postponed the last two games under contract (and probably the last two forever).

Unfortunately, I missed that one because I was working, but I recall getting back to Durham that evening and you could feel the electricity from that win. Hours later the town was still abuzz over the monumental win by the Wildcats. The only other time I can recall feeling excitement in the air like that was in 2004 while riding the T in from Riverside to Parsons for the UNH-Northeastern game. They had a little parade in Boston that day to celebrate the ending of a curse.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
In no particular order:

2008 when the Griz entered Wa-Griz in throwbacks.
2009 against App St. in the semi finals.
Watching Dan Moore hurdle safeties.

Skyhawk71
October 19th, 2012, 05:47 PM
You must understand the history of Tennessee-Martin Football- a roller coaster ride from DII to the FCS...............
#5 Beating Butler in 1988 DII Playoffs in a monsoon, one of my first games as a youngster
#4 Seeing the Auburn fans faces as the 3rd Quarter ran out in 2007, tied 20-20; we lost obviously, but it was worth it
#3 Beating EKU in 2010; 10-7, first, last and only time......they own us 1-22 all time
#2 Clinching the OVC Championship in 2006 against Murray State, and then blowing a huge fourth quarter lead in the 1st round vs. SIU
#1 I was in college: 2003- ending a 35 game conference losing streak in overtime against Tennessee Tech..........we went nuts, about 500 fans & Jack Daniels

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM

I was lucky enough to be in the stands that day and as long as my brain functions, I will have a mind's eye picture of RJ Harvey busting that game winning TD run right in front of us and outrunning the GaSoU secondary. Extremely pleasing after reading so much on AGS about how UNH hadn't seen speed like GaSoU speed. And after a couple of less than Southern hospitality encounters with their fans.

While that was a top five experience for me, there were a couple of other great ones that same year that I witnessed in person. The David Ball TD catch to beat Delaware in the season opener and the win at Rutgers. And like Gordon Shumway, I go back a few decades. The 1975 win at Cowell to beat UMass and earn the first playoff bid was pretty special especially since we not beaten UMass since 1968 and there had been talk that we couldn't compete with them.

But I think my favorite was being in the stands at Northwestern watching UNH put a licking on a Big Ten team. Just an incredible feeling of pride when the team came up into the stands after the game to celebrate with their families and the fans present. I recall being at O'Hare the next day and a guy coming up to me and asking if I was from "that" UNH and I proudly replied "yes sir"!!

R3TRO
October 19th, 2012, 06:17 PM
October 14, 2006... Sitting in the 'Cat Pack endzone stands at Cowell Stadium I watched a small-town VT WR break Jerry Rice's TD record. Probably the loudest I ever heard that place over the 5 years I was able to attend games.

Grizo406
October 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM
For me, meeting alpha in 2002, and the 2009 semi-final game with Appalachian State in Washington/Grizzly.

There were 24,207 fans there, but there are at least 159,719 folks that will say they were.

12 December 2009 was an AMAZING Saturday, in every way possible! That's why meeting alpha, and this particular game are my favorite memories as a Griz fan.

AppMAN04
October 19th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Oh the memories the memories.... So many, but I would have to say that I witnessed "the JMU fumble" "the Wofford Halloween massacre" , but my Junior year 2002 before everyone jumped on the bandwagon was the

"the Miracle on the Mountain"

7 secs on the clock Furman scores and goes up by 1, instead of kicking the extra point they go for 2

Watching this still gives me chills

http://youtu.be/rUcQ4irFl_s

We carried the goal post around the entire town of Boone celebrating the win over Furple.....

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I was wrong. It wasn't SFA, it was Sam Houston State...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw&feature=BFa&list=PL60D210B256B8CE7F

Then this is basically the best way to sum up the entire game of GSU last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQy61cahorU

And then of course...Rings baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWkQShdNW0&feature=relmfu

McNeese72
October 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
As a McNeese fan the first thing always comes to mind. I have a mental picture of Fr FB Oliver Hadnot going through a big hole in the line, cutting left, and then going up the sideline to score the winning TD to beat Tulsa in the first Independence Bowl in 1976.

The press wasn't giving us a snowball's chance in hell because back then 5th year players (who had redshirted a year) weren't allowed to play in the post season and we had to leave a lot of players at home. They were saying we were bringing a JV team to the bowl game. But our JV team won. :D

Doc

Oh, did I mention that I'm an old fart.

gsu2583
October 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I was there for "The Run." GSU v Youngstown. 1999 Chattanooga TN. Is he down? Is he? Wow! Did he? Still going! WHAT!?! YEEESSSSSS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM-bPhaivc

AppMAN04
October 19th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I was there for "The Run." GSU v Youngstown. 1999 Chattanooga TN. Is he down? Is he? Wow! Did he? Still going! WHAT!?! YEEESSSSSS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM-bPhaivc

The best RB that I ever witnessed.. I did not like him but you had to respect him, if not he would do ish like that.

frozennorth
October 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM
for live:

digger anderson hurdle circa 2005

[/good ole days]

for NDSU: jemison on 4th and goal against GSU last year

other non-fcs:

d-rob's 4th quarter vs notre dame last year (not this year:P)

winner has to be circus + statue: left. Greatest game of any sport ever played in my under informed opinion.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Oh the memories the memories.... So many, but I would have to say that I witnessed "the JMU fumble" "the Wofford Halloween massacre" , but my Junior year 2002 before everyone jumped on the bandwagon was the

7 secs on the clock Furman scores and goes up by 1, instead of kicking the extra point they go for 2

We carried the goal post around the entire town of Boone celebrating the win over Furple.....

First time I've seen that video but that seriously has to be one of the DUMBEST calls in FCS history. 7 seconds and they felt the need to get a 3 pt advantage and used a pass, to the outside no less, to do it?!? Why not just squib the KO and hope you don't give up a huge runback (which most likely would run off the 7 seconds anyway, leaving no time for a FG attempt)? Ouch. xnonono2x

HensRock
October 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
...After that I would actually have to say the Delaware game. Cold as hell and a ridiculous amount of points scored in the last couple of minutes. The momentum went back and forth.

Awesome game. I have that one on VHS tape somewhere!
I think 4 TD's were scored in the final 4 minutes, 2 on each side.

AppMAN04
October 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM
First time I've seen that video but that seriously has to be one of the DUMBEST calls in FCS history. 7 seconds and they felt the need to get a 3 pt advantage and used a pass, to the outside no less, to do it?!? Why not just squib the KO and hope you don't give up a huge runback (which most likely would run off the 7 seconds anyway, leaving no time for a FG attempt)? Ouch. xnonono2x

I totally agree, their coach had no trust in the Special teams or defense

GATA_GSU
October 19th, 2012, 08:29 PM
My favorite memory was in 2010 when GSU beat App State at home. I was at the game, and rushing the field afterward was great. Plus, looking at the replay of the game still gives me goosebumps. I love hearing "Number 1 goes down, number 1 goes down!".

asumike83
October 19th, 2012, 08:51 PM
My favorite memory was in 2010 when GSU beat App State at home. I was at the game, and rushing the field afterward was great. Plus, looking at the replay of the game still gives me goosebumps. I love hearing "Number 1 goes down, number 1 goes down!".

Says a lot about the quality of a rivalry when the home team can say that two years in a row.

gsu_paintballer
October 19th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Says a lot about the quality of a rivalry when the home team can say that two years in a row.

Agreed. I've enjoyed it.

Appaholic
October 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I have a tie:

Miracle on the Mountain: Our annual Men's Town game that year....I'll never forget seeing my roommate high stepping on the grass hill & sloshing his alcohol soaked coke around as we hugged & slapped high fines...

&, of course, the Michigan game. I was visiting my in-laws in Grand Rapids & my wife & I went to local sports bar to watch game. I was obviously the only person in bar wearing App gear. Such a great game, but so njoyed jumping in the air as Lynch picked up his blocked FG. The sound (of lack thereof besides me) in that bar as he broke through the line....I wish I had it on tape. Drove through Ann Arbor on the way home listening to local MI sports talk meltdown the next morning. Then stopped at local convenient store & bought every copy of the Sunday Paper & had my wife tke the picture below. Then got to drive through Ohio & listen as the local sports talk radio stations played the App fight song over the radio on their fade in / fade out to commercial breaks.

GSUhooligan
October 19th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Started in 2003, most memorable moments in chronological order. Mods will only allow me to embed 1 video, other moments are linked.

GSU-Furman 2005: Ingle Martin throws an interception sealing the win and our ticket playoff
http://youtu.be/P8F-oa_2YS4?#t=4m47s

GSU-Appy 2007: Armanti is short on 4th down, Eagles put a crack in the rock, snapping their home win streak and dropping them a peg after beating Michigan
http://youtu.be/IdkjZrFo1as?t=5m50s

Final play of GSU-Appy 2010, ending App's in-conference winning streak and starting our run to the semis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1OU3u51MkE

GSU-Wofford 2010 playoffs: I'll never forget literally taking over an opponent's home field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7erZddZgoU&feature=related

GSU-Wofford 2011: Order is finally restored, GSU SoCon champs after excruciating drought
http://youtu.be/-z44PzD6OBE?t=2m19s

cbarrier90
October 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM
GSU-Wofford 2010 playoffs: I'll never forget literally taking over an opponent's home field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7erZddZgoU&feature=related

Not even a Wofford fan and I'm embarrassed for them...

dgtw
October 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
http://youtu.be/UsunpiYs7Cg

Jax State 49
Ole Miss 48

No, its not the Big house, but its still pretty damn cool. We bought seats off ebay that were in the back of one of the end zones. Ole miss had a big lead at the half so we moved to where the other Jax State fans were sitting, which was near the ten yard line on the other end of the field. So we got to see them score all the fourth quarter points to tie it up.

Then the game went into overtime, which sadly, was played at the other end of the field, where we were sitting to begin with. The winning score would have been right in our faces.

Oh, well, still a great memory.

ASU_Fanatic
October 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM
How do I choose? I was at all three national championships but I still think being in the Big House that day trumps it all. College football holy grail and beat a top 5 team, being there for that was surreal. I knew we had a good shot in every championship game but going to Michigan the thought of winning never even crept into my mind. Even after the Lynch field goal block I was sitting in that stadium in shock, it took a while for it to sink in. I think that has to trump them all. Dark horse is the Halloween game vs Wofford, KBS was wild.

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM
My top 5 Wofford football moments:

1) In 2007, watching a FG attempt by Montana's kicker go wide to preserve a Wofford playoff win in a frigid Missoula, and seeing the shocked expression on so many faces afterward, including that of my half sister who lived in Kalispel!
2. In 2003, beating Western Kentucky at Gibbs stadium to advance to the national semifinals.
3. Way back in 1991 as a Wofford student, when Shawn Graves got into the endzone late in the 4th quarter to propel a then D2 Wofford to a win at then D1-AA nationally ranked The Citadel in Charleston. I remember the media circus leading up to that game. Graves insulted The Citadel by saying he didn't go there because he didn't want to be "just another guy in a monkey suit". The Cadets vowed to kill him in the game, and he really silenced that stadium with an awesome performance. Not the classiest of things, but very memorable!
4. Getting wins at both Paulson and Kidd-Brewer stadiums back in 2002, which signified to me that the Wofford program was officially on the map.
5. Back in 1990, qualifying for the D-2 playoffs for the first time and then taking a 17-14 lead over #1 Mississippi College at halftime, shocking everyone. (The second half- not such a good memory as Wofford lost 70-19. BTW, MC would go on to win a D2 national title that year, then have to vacate it later due to violations, the nature of which I did not hear).

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2012, 06:37 AM
1974 Harvard-Yale: Milt Holt's 1-yard plunge with about 15 seconds left caps Harvard's comeback 21-16 win.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWYx3LVrPg

Oh wait did you mean football? :)

I have a few:

UNI beating Idaho in the UNI-Dome by a point in 1992 when it was a 1 vs 2 matchup
Beating Iowa State in 2007 and then storming the field at Jack Trice
The Catch by Montari Leonard in 2007 against UNH
The 2005 road playoff wins at UNH and Texas State
And then I am not proud of this one, but I left the SIU game in 2003 when the score was 31-14 in the second half and then we came back and won 43-40

woffordgrad94
October 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Not even a Wofford fan and I'm embarrassed for them...

I was so angry, annoyed and embarrassed I left the stadium early. This would be my WORST memory of Wofford football. I was trying to think of ways to make things better, but I just couldn't think of any. There just aren't enough Wofford fans, and that's cold hard reality.

psc2445
October 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Man, I haven't seen that video in quite some time. I was out there playing safety, and couldnt quite get to that fumble on the play before Furman scored the go ahead touchdown. I was so physically spent that both my hamstrings cramped up as I was trying to recover the fumble before it went out of bounds. Then they score the next play and I just knew I blew a chance to preserve an App win. Then Josh makes the pick. Talk about a range of emotions, I couldn't even make it to the pile. My legs cramped up, Josh pucked at about the 20 yard line and couldnt make it to the pile. Both teams played their hearts and bodies out that day. I will never forget that day.............Ultimately got re-hydrated enough to go out that night and celebrate with the rest of my teamates and the entire student body. Ole Bobby Lamb never quite recovered

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
For me it was beating Maine in OT on Homecoming. That was our first ever win against a full scholarship team and a real thriller to boot no one left their seats. Now we are a peer of the Black Bears and headed to the CAA. Times have changed on Long Island!

Pards Rule
October 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Two of note: LC upset over Lehigh 1981 and the HURT TD to win with 37 seconds left in 2005...It did hurt (them)

Pards Rule
October 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
For me it was beating Maine in OT on Homecoming. That was our first ever win against a full scholarship team and a real thriller to boot no one left their seats. Now we are a peer of the Black Bears and headed to the CAA. Times have changed on Long Island!

Indeed they have - congrats Wolf...a most noteworthy program now seemingly coming from nowhere. I hope to play SB again - two very interesting matchups versus the Pards as you recall..

dgtw
October 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Man, I haven't seen that video in quite some time. I was out there playing safety, and couldnt quite get to that fumble on the play before Furman scored the go ahead touchdown. I was so physically spent that both my hamstrings cramped up as I was trying to recover the fumble before it went out of bounds. Then they score the next play and I just knew I blew a chance to preserve an App win. Then Josh makes the pick. Talk about a range of emotions, I couldn't even make it to the pile. My legs cramped up, Josh pucked at about the 20 yard line and couldnt make it to the pile. Both teams played their hearts and bodies out that day. I will never forget that day.............Ultimately got re-hydrated enough to go out that night and celebrate with the rest of my teamates and the entire student body. Ole Bobby Lamb never quite recovered

Thanks for the first person account. What number were you wearing? If you'd rather not say, I undertsand, but was just wondering while watching the play.

Pards Rule
October 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the first person account. What number were you wearing? If you'd rather not say, I undertsand, but was just wondering while watching the play.

And what year was it? A baffling play call to say the least...

bobcathpdevil56
October 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Regular season game against Weber St. We were down 17-14 and a late pick six by Michael Beach gave us the win. Great game, great memories

bulldog10jw
October 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
So many to choose from. Unfortunately, most of them are 30 or more years ago.

Yale 14 Harvard 0 in 1980 always comes to mind for me.

If Yale lost they would have to share the title with Harvard and maybe two other teams.

Yale's defense just dominated. I'm not sure Harvard crossed mid field. A dominating defense in a big game and an outright title for Yale.

psc2445
October 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM

#45 Cornatzer

psc2445
October 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Regular season game against Weber St. We were down 17-14 and a late pick six by Michael Beach gave us the win. Great game, great memories

dgtw
October 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
#45 Cornatzer

Thanks, it made watching it a little more interesting with someone to watch for.

I had remmebered reading about a game where someone ran a defensive two pointer back to win a game, but didn't know where or when it was. I agree it was a dumb call to go for two. I've seen coaches in that spot (one point lead, very little time left) lining up for two and taking a knee, not even wanting to risk anything bad happening.