PDA

View Full Version : SDSU at UNI

JackJD
October 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Tomorrow's SDSU v. UNI game in Cedar Falls isn't getting a lot of attention but it may be one of the more significant games for the day. The Jackrabbits know that in spite of UNI's record, they are an excellent football team. SDSU comes in to the Dome leading the MVFC but some say we haven't played a tough schedule yet (well, Indiana State doesn't say that). SDSU's quarterback continues to heal from a pre-season thumb dislocation and he's returning to form which earned him honors as a freshman last season. The Panther message board is uncharacteristically quiet over this game.

If asked, NDSU Coach Craig Bohl would give the SDSU v UNI his highest rating: "a whale of a game".

I think the Jackrabbits pull off a win at the Uni-Dome but it's going to be a tough one.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Should be interesting. I am very curious as to how this one goes.

Definite potential as far as the cupcake-whale factor goes. I don't give it blue whale, but surely nothing less than Baluga.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Good luck to the Jacks and the Panthers. I will keep track of the game from the Alerus Center scoreboard.

mmiller_34
October 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'll be at the game. I'm very worried.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Sources inside the program have told me that this UNI team will be the best FCS team we've faced so far this year. Not a shocking statement, I know, but they are basically saying UNI is a better team on both sides of the ball than Indiana State. I believe this to be true, as UNI has played some great teams very tough. The Panthers are 6 point favorite, and we've yet to win a game in the UNI-Dome since we've made the transition, so that does not bode well for the Rabbits.

I honestly think I'd feel better about this game had UNI won last week. The fact that they must be extremely hungry to get their first D1 victory of the season really scares me. I think it will be a great game, but unless SDSU's passing game shows up, I think we are trouble. We simply can't keep relying on Zenner to rush for 200 yards a game. As always, turnovers will be absolutely critical in determining who ultimately wins this one, and it may come down to a big special team's play.

Grizalltheway
October 19th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sorry, but "excellent" teams don't start 1-5, period. The Griz are 3-4 and I would never considering calling them that.
Carry on. xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I picked UNI to win this game but there comes a point in a crappy season when a team just becomes emotionally defeated before the ball is even kicked off. Is UNI at that point yet? If they are I think the Jacks win this game. If not, I think UNI reminds everyone that they're still a team capable of beating anyone in the conference and playing spoiler down the stretch.

underdawg
October 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Wish I could see this game---but will watching SIU-Penguins. Will it be on TV?

All I can say is that UNI has a HUMONGOUS Offensive Line and a big, fast RB.

89rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
It is on Mediacom

moosbah
October 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I think this is one of those hurdle or benchmark games that get mentioned all the time. Yes, UNI is down this year, but they'll still be tough at home. If the jacks can pull this out, it's a pretty solid win and it would be a good feather in their cap........if rabbits wore hats.

LakesBison
October 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Uni rolls

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Rabbits win. Squeaky, but win.

jacks14
October 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lakes, You know I dont know if the jacks are gonna win this game it is gonna be a good game, but how many message boards have you got on this year and said the jacks will lose. All five of their wins you have got on a message board and said they were gonna lose.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Lakes, You know I dont know if the jacks are gonna win this game it is gonna be a good game, but how many message boards have you got on this year and said the jacks will lose. All five of their wins you have got on a message board and said they were gonna lose.

If his picking is 0fer I would take it as a compliment.

SDSU by a hare's nose hair.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Good rush offense vs Bad rush defense. Good pass offense vs bad pass defense. Probably favors the rushing team.

Hopefully it is a good game, but I don't have much confidence in us not committing stupid penalties or turnovers. I also don't think we will keep Zenner below his average...

GO PANTHERS!

frozennorth
October 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM
how is uni doing injury wise?

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 07:07 AM
how is uni doing injury wise?

Still not good. Seems like every player on our defense is hurt. Someone goes out on the d line or at linebacker and the player that replaces them ends up getting hurt too. We have just had some tough luck this year, but they have done a pretty good job considering. And it isn't like the defense is handing points to the other team like the offense has been recently.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
This game feels like it is much more important to SDSU as a statement game and huge confidence lift if they win going into the heart of the season. UNI is a good team that has nothing to play for but pride and ruining dreams of teams, so it is tough to say how this game turns out.

My guess is UNI's "melt down" was last week and they play a solid game, winning a close game

89rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121020/SPORTS02/310200021/Jackrabbits-fighting-road-history-facing-UNI?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Jackrabbits fighting road history facing UNI

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

It’s not every week that a 5-1 team has a measuring-stick game against a 1-5 opponent, but it’s been 34 years since South Dakota State beat Northern Iowa on the road.

Six disparate Northern Iowa weeks will not change the way the Jackrabbits view the Panthers or make the task at hand at 4 p.m. today in the UNI-Dome any easier.

“If we’re lucky enough to win, we’re going to say we beat a darn good football team at their place,” coach John Stiegelmeier said. “This game could really solidify the confidence in what we’re doing. Whether we win more games or not, it could mark us.”

The 20th-ranked Jacks (5-1, 3-0) are the lone unbeaten in Missouri Valley Football Conference play and have won eight in a row within the Football Championship Subdivision. But they’ve gotten to that point with perhaps as many obvious flaws (pass game, turnover margin) as strengths (defense, run game) and have yet to get into the meat of its schedule. The FCS coaches remain skeptical to the point they aren’t including SDSU in their top-25 poll despite leading the top-ranked conference. . . . (read more)

Go State! xnodx

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
UNI fans have been rather quiet this week - understanably so since the team is 1-5 and AGS traffic is probably slow, but wondering if any Panther fans are looking forward to watching the Nation's leading rusher today? You'll have to let us know what you think about Zenner.

89rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Good rush offense vs Bad rush defense. Good pass offense vs bad pass defense. Probably favors the rushing team.

Hopefully it is a good game, but I don't have much confidence in us not committing stupid penalties or turnovers. I also don't think we will keep Zenner below his average...

GO PANTHERS!

Who has a bad pass defense? xeyebrowx

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121020/SPORTS02/310200021/Jackrabbits-fighting-road-history-facing-UNI?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

. . . This time around, the Jacks have the benefit of the leading rusher in Division I – sophomore Zach Zenner at 1,248 yards – and an elite defense. SDSU hasn’t given up more than 14 points to an FCS foe this season, although its depth may be tested this week with linemen Doug Peete and Andy Mink operating at less than full speed due to injury. The Jacks also lead the Valley in pass defense efficiency, an area that will be put to the test by UNI – the top passing team in the league. . . . (read more)

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Who has a bad pass defense? xeyebrowx

. . . This time around, the Jacks have the benefit of the leading rusher in Division I – sophomore Zach Zenner at 1,248 yards – and an elite defense. SDSU hasn’t given up more than 14 points to an FCS foe this season, although its depth may be tested this week with linemen Doug Peete and Andy Mink operating at less than full speed due to injury. The Jacks also lead the Valley in pass defense efficiency, an area that will be put to the test by UNI – the top passing team in the league. . . . (read more)

Right... SDSU's pass rush and pass D has been really impressive thus far. We've only allowed 3 TD's in the past 5 games.

clenz
October 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Sawyer might be the best qb you've faced.

260 ish yards and 2or3 tds per game I think

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

clenz
October 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'll also predict uni scores at least 21

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM
SDSU is 9th in the Valley in pass D...

So far I am very impressed with SDSUs offensive line. That is why Zenner gets so many yards. Obviously he is very good to but that line does him lots of favors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

clenz
October 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'll also predict uni scores at least 21

Done...in the third quarter.

17 at half.

clenz
October 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sawyer might be the best qb you've faced.

260 ish yards and 2or3 tds per game I think

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2Going to be close.

With 3 min left in the third he has 160 yards and 2 TD's.

No_Skill
October 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Score?

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
27-6 UNI Final

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Are you breaking out the champagne to celebrate your first DI win?

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
27-6 UNI Final

Congrats.

Kegerator
October 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Well, now we know what the coaches knew. The passing game sucks.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
As predicted, we ran into a 1-5 team that is far better than their record. Great win for UNI - congrats - the Panthers completely outplayed the Jacks in every facet of the game.

Kegerator
October 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM
The UNI-dome is a hard place to play, for anyone. You gotta hand it to them. All we can do is look to next week and Hobo Day.

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Anytime your on the road in this league is going to be tough. Congrats to the Panthers, Jacks will be fine.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Are you breaking out the champagne to celebrate your first DI win?

I did drink the champagne of beers...

DOME
October 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM
Go Panthers! Started a 20+ game win streak yesterday!

mmiller_34
October 21st, 2012, 09:37 AM
Simply put. The Jacks just can not win in Cedar Falls.

No_Skill
October 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Go Panthers! Started a 20+ game win streak yesterday!

Hmmm. I guess that is actually possible since UNI won't be able to lose in the playoffs this year.

ZING!

89rabbit
October 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Congrats to UNI, their guys outplayed our guys all over the field.