PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell at Lehigh--Defensive Struggle?

ngineer
October 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM
The #1 and #2 defenses in the Patriot League face each other this weekend, and Bucknell's defense against the run is #10 in the FCS. Other than Harvard, who broke off two very long runs, every other team who has faced the Bison this year have found the going tough, although all but Marist came away with wins due to an anemic Bison offense. Lehigh's defense has bent at times this year, but it has also stood tall when the bell rang by either getting the turnover, blocking the kick, or making the big play. The offense has shown flashes of explosive potential, but keeps shooting itself in the foot with either penalties one week or turnovers the next. Will they ever get it together? This week will not be easy as two of Lehigh's preseason all-league offensive threats will be sidelined (WR Spadola and TE Haggins) and possibly another WR Soto. RB Zach Barket appeared to return to form last week against Georgetown after a long rehab from the fractured leg. So will the Mountain Hawks go to Zach and the run, against the vaunted Bison defense, or go with the youngster receivers? As opposed to last year, Lehigh's special teams have been doing a very good job. Always a key when the games are close. Last year, LU was able to get by without the good ST. Not so this year as at least two or three wins this year were sealed due to special teams play. Weather forecast is Sunny and low 60's, and a nice homecoming crowd expected. Lehigh should extend the nation's longest regular game winning streak in FCS to 17, as well as 15 in a row over the Bison.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Lehigh in a walk, 28-10.

RichH2
October 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Not in a walk, I fear. I would be surprised if Bison score. We will wear down BU defense. Stick with 24-6.

carney2
October 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Bucknell @ Le...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Go...gate
October 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Lehigh big. This is a mismatch.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Game Preview:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-preview-bucknell-at-lehigh.html

Lehigh's domination over the Bison since 1998 has been *very* remarkable.

van
October 19th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Look for Noah Robb to get some good minutes, liked what I have seen from him so far. Also, big chance for Knott to show if he is ready for prime time. Wonder why Max Anderson still not making 2 deep at TE, injured? Ward a good back up for O'Brien if he can't go. Look for D line to contain Wesley and put him on the ground numerous time.

RichH2
October 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Great libation. A pride game vs an apparently weak team.

crusader11
October 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Lehigh wins 20-6.

jdb037
October 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Lehigh wins 20-6.

That will be the score. If O-line can provide time for Colvin, it doesn't matter who his receivers are. Defense is good against the run; the pass, not so much

PAllen
October 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
The only way this is a defensive struggle is if Colvin keeps throwing it to the other team.

RichH2
October 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
BU run D balanced by not so good pass D. If Mike has the Yups again will be close. Dont think he will.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Game breakdown & Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-breakdown-bucknell-at-lehigh.html

I don't think this will be a blowout. 3/4 of Lehigh's opening-day receivers are out. It seems like a much closer Lehigh/Bucknell game is in the offing, no matter how much sleep carney gets.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Lehigh just needs to survive this game. The bye next week comes at the perfect time and should allow the team to be at or close to full strength when they head to Worcester to begin November.

LUHawker
October 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-breakdown-bucknell-at-lehigh.html

I don't think this will be a blowout. 3/4 of Lehigh's opening-day receivers are out. It seems like a much closer Lehigh/Bucknell game is in the offing, no matter how much sleep carney gets.

LFN,

I pooh-poohed those last week who said that they were worried about G'Town. Looking at the score, one could conclude I was wrong. But let's be real here. Seven turnovers is practically unheard of, and if one could hypothetically elmininate those, or even cut them in half, that game wouldn't have been even close. I know, I know, G'town had something to do with it, but it should not have been close. With that said, Bucknell is worse than G'town and Lehigh should score more than 20 points. Really, only 20 points. They scored 17 while trying to give the game away. Lehigh puts up 35+ this week and we know the Bison have no O. So pick a number south of 17 and run with it.

The last few years, even that 4-7 season with JB at the helm, the Bucknell game has done wonders for LU's run to the finish. I think think year could be a repeat of that. Here's to perfect weather and the Bucknell being the perfect cure for an imperfect season.

van
October 19th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Back up WRs have shown skills, so don't see that as a major problem, certainly will miss Ryan's abilities and Soto's experience. Soph TEs yet to show me much though.

RichH2
October 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Teams chamge yr to yr. Relying on past history is irrelevant. That we neat BU last yr or 5 yrs ago means little. This Lehigh team has to show up this week. Expect we will.

ngineer
October 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I like my 31-13 prediction in the "pick 'em" thread. Lehigh running game, rejuvenated with Barket's breakout game last week could surprise the Bison who may be focused on the pass.

LEHIGH07
October 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Dont overthink it - Lehigh runs away with it 34-10.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Of course you're right dont overthink. However , AGS ideal medium for opinion, info, angst, bragging and analysis that goes on for pages. By Thurs, hard to avoid it as the obvious has been done.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM
About 30 minutes until kickoff.

I won't be able to follow it until the second half. Any updates would be appreciated!

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Do the best we can. Lots of guys at game. Twitter great for quick updates also.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
OBrien and Mahoney playing.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Lamnert blocks punt runs in for TD.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Lamnert blocks punt runs in for TD.

Is that a Lehigh player?

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yes

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
BU drives ties svore on 2 yd run.

jdb037
October 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Not tied. Lehigh blocked the XP. 7-6 Lehigh end of 1. Lehigh driving

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks jb.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Colvin TD pass to Kurfis.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Good start! Now the defense needs to buckle down.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
LU blocks another punt. Ball inside 20. Kurfis another TD. 21-6.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Half 21-6

jdb037
October 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
106 yards for Lehigh and they have 21 points. Glad I'm not at this one

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
106 yards for Lehigh and they have 21 points. Glad I'm not at this one

Doesn't sound like they've had a chance to rack up yards. They did put together one drive.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
BU D is good. Mike no mostakes. STs great for LU 4 blocks.
Now to avoid 3rd period blahs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Colvin made a great throw on 3 and 19 but Kurfis dropped it....

Divers with a poor punt....Bison ball at the LU 45

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Bison inside the 5...

TD Bison!

Lehigh 21 Bucknell 12 about 7 minutes left in 3 Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Colvin int after heaving one off his back foot...

Bison with a deep pass to LU 23

TD Bison!

21-19 Lehigh

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Lehigh goes 3 and out...

They look terrible!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Lehigh goes 3 and out...

They look terrible!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
TD Lehigh!!

Colvin with a 2 yard run after two long passes!

Lehigh 28 Bucknell 19 late in 3Q

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Another 3rd period fade. Colvin another TO. OL getting beat up.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
As I am typing we score. Mike comes back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:49 PM
LU 28 BU 19 End of 3Q

Lehigh had a 5 minute stretch of horrific play. They need to find a way to get the knockout blow!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Colvin on target, Lehigh driving, at the Bison 30...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Very nice crowd today!

Colvin with another short TD run! He looked very good on that drive!

Lehigh 35 Bucknell 19 11:06 4Q

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Colvin rush TD 35-19. Boy we do seem to love high pressure. Just wish we would stop doing it to ourselves.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Colvin with a terrible pass as Lehigh was driving. He can't avoid mistakes!

Lehigh D with a 3 and out...Be nice to finish strong and score a TD here...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Lehigh played great ball the last 20 minutes of the game. Colvin to Coyle for a short TD

Lehigh 42 Bucknell 19 2 minutes left...

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
When we are good we are very good. Same inconsistent play again.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mike 5 TDs. 298 passing.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Josh Paris had a very nice day and gives them good depth when Spadola comes back. There are still issues that make each of the remaining three games a concern.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Last 2 particularly. I'll take being worst 8-0 team. Bye week well timed. No doubt we'll be ready for Cross. I've given up with the hope we'll ever be consistent.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Last 2 particularly. I'll take being worst 8-0 team. Bye week well timed. No doubt we'll be ready for Cross. I've given up with the hope we'll ever be consistent.

This team is not the worst 8-0 team by any means. They just lack consistency. That 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter was pathetic. Still, this was a very solid performance by all aspects of the team.

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM
You can't assess anything by beating Bucknell. Losing or close game, yes. Surprised Lehgh gave up 19.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
The one thing that should be assessed is it is a win, while other teams I the top 20 are losing to 1-6 teams. At this point all we can do is win because the views of Lehigh will not change now

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
You can't assess anything by beating Bucknell. Losing or close game, yes. Surprised Lehgh gave up 19.

Defense was awesome for 55 minutes. 14 of those points came in a 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter....

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Being a bit sarcastic. But owl inconsistency is as u posted. We were great for 50 or so. It is the 10 min lull and the wtf play that makes us inconsistent. We have escaped each time. Not a good tactic vs a good team.
Well, I am going to enjoy the win and see if.LFN has a bye week drink.

Hawk98
October 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Didn't get to follow this (son's 4th birthday party), but good to see them finish and win big.

Southsider
October 20th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I guess the same can be said about beating Holy Cross? Look, I say this every week when you and others talk about LU's "cupcake" schedule. You line up every week and play the team across the line. Everyone has talent. You take anybody lightly and you will pay. Any win is a good win. BTW, how'd that "cupcake" Princeton do today??

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
How many teams can say they are 8-0??? Not too many. Definitely not Lafayette.

Neighbor2
October 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
When's the last time Lehigh was 8-0?

Rest of the year, who knows? I'm thinking they'll need most everyone back and healthy to beat Colgate and Lafayette. Those should be really tough games as the opponent's motivation will be sky high. Not much tolerance for mental lapses in those two contests.

Lehigh has still not been a "beast" this year. Crazy to be tentative about your team when it's 8-0. Since seeing my first Lehigh game in 1963, I can't remember having this kind of reservation about a season. God bless 'em!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
When's the last time Lehigh was 8-0?

Rest of the year, who knows? I'm thinking they'll need most everyone back and healthy to beat Colgate and Lafayette. Those should be really tough games as the opponent's motivation will be sky high. Not much tolerance for mental lapses in those two contests.

Lehigh has still not been a "beast" this year. Crazy to be tentative about your team when it's 8-0. Since seeing my first Lehigh game in 1963, I can't remember having this kind of reservation about a season. God bless 'em!

Neighbor2
October 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
As recent as 2001? I kept thinking about an early loss to Delaware, or someone else of that vintage. By the way, my post graduate work was at BOTH Lehigh and Temple. The degree came from Temple. Only ever saw them play Oregon State at Franklin Field.

How bad are the winters in Bozeman? I know the football's kinda cool.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM
As recent as 2001? I kept thinking about an early loss to Delaware, or someone else of that vintage. By the way, my post graduate work was at BOTH Lehigh and Temple. The degree came from Temple. Only ever saw them play Oregon State at Franklin Field.

Yes, Lehigh lost to Penn in Sept of 2002 to end a 26game regular season unbeaten streak, which included 11-0 2000 and 10-0 2001 regular seasons.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Lehigh had undefeated regular seasons in 1998, 2000 and 2001. The Penn game in 2001 was canceled due to 9/11. As a result Lehigh played 10 regular season games.

Very cool! Both great schools! I saw us play against Oregon State in 2001 or 2002.

So far the weather in Bozeman has been a lot like that of Northeastern PA. Next week it's suppose to get cold though! Single digit lows!

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I guess the same can be said about beating Holy Cross? Look, I say this every week when you and others talk about LU's "cupcake" schedule. You line up every week and play the team across the line. Everyone has talent. You take anybody lightly and you will pay. Any win is a good win. BTW, how'd that "cupcake" Princeton do today??

Princeton is no cupcake and we said that after their game at LU.

Yes, I can say the same about Holy Cross. I can't fully assess how we are. We pushed around their inferior lines because we are bigger, better, and were expected to. But how will this translate to Gtown, Gate, Rams, Lehigh?

I agree Lehigh is the most tenuous 8-0 team I can recall... but the big games are coming. Colgate is before us, so a letdown could be in order if you fall to the toothpaste boys.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Repeat again Gate is the team to beat for PL title. They are lighting up everyone. A shootout every week. Their lack of D does not seem to bother Biddle. Pards an up and down team with a good qb and D. End of the season will be battles.

TheValleyRaider
October 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Repeat again Gate is the team to beat for PL title. They are lighting up everyone. A shootout every week. Their lack of D does not seem to bother Biddle. Pards an up and down team with a good qb and D. End of the season will be battles.

I can assure you it bothers him, but what can you do at this point in the season? I admit the inability to make a series of stops is frustrating, and I hate the idea of scoring every possession in order to win. I still say Lehigh stays on top until they get beat, but if we can both get through to the 10th unscathed, it should be real fun

Hawk98
October 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
All this buildup to the Lehigh Colgate shootout ... watch it end 9-6.

Southsider
October 20th, 2012, 08:10 PM

Yes, I can say the same about Holy Cross. I can't fully assess how we are. We pushed around their inferior lines because we are bigger, better, and were expected to. But how will this translate to Gtown, Gate, Rams, Lehigh?

I agree Lehigh is the most tenuous 8-0 team I can recall... but the big games are coming. Colgate is before us, so a letdown could be in order if you fall to the toothpaste boys.

I think they can get by the Cross. In all honesty, I think they will be very fortunate to pull off the last two. The lack of a running game, and Colvin's inconsistency will likely do them in.

Southsider
October 20th, 2012, 08:12 PM

I think they can get by the Cross. In all honesty, I think they will be very fortunate to pull off the last two. The lack of a running game, and Colvin's inconsistency will likely do them in.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2012, 08:18 PM
All this buildup to the Lehigh Colgate shootout ... watch it end 9-6.

If it is an offensive shoot out, I do not like our chances at all

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
[/I][/B]

The running game is solid enough. Lehigh did the same thing against the Bison last year, passed the ball all day.

Colvin still makes me nervous. He back pedals and throws off his back foot way too much.

The defense, overall, is still very solid. Lehigh still the most balanced team in the league. Colgate offense one of the best in FCS.

From a phone

Hawk98
October 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM
If it is an offensive shoot out, I do not like our chances at all

Think it's basically a coin flip. Colgate is probably a more complete team, but the game is at Goodman. If this were in Hamilton, Lehigh would be a significant underdog.

RichH2
October 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Our D will have to win Gate game. Not sure we could keep up in a shootout. Just a couple of wtf plays and we're behind by 14..
No our run attack is not solid. Yes we have a # of good runners who have not produced this seaon. Perhaps not all their fault given OL but end result the same we lack a run threay.

LehighU11
October 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Our D will have to win Gate game. Not sure we could keep up in a shootout. Just a couple of wtf plays and we're behind by 14..
No our run attack is not solid. Yes we have a # of good runners who have not produced this seaon. Perhaps not all their fault given OL but end result the same we lack a run threay.

We're certainly not short on talent when it comes to the running game, but like you said, poor production this year. Barket's numbers are down significantly from last year, perhaps due to his leg injury in addition to a shaky, injured OL. Sherman hasn't gotten as many carries or playing time this year as you would expect after Fitz graduated, and has only been effective on one short pass play per game. Wish they would stick to the draws with Mike, and limit those.

ngineer
October 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Primarily due to giving Bison short field on a shanked punt and then an INT. Defense also had Chagani out for a good bit of the stretch and not sure why. We played a TON of sophomores and frosh today on both sides of the ball. A good amount of time we had four Sophs on the OL, which may have contributed to the tough run situtation against a very, very good run defense.

LUHawker
October 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
There seems to be a lot of angst among LU folks here about playing Lafayette. The concerns surrounding Gate are understandable, but when did Lafayette suddenly become a big bad wolf? They have been at least, and likely more inconsistent than LU and i don't know if their offense has improved that much over last year. Colgate is the only game that makes me nervous.

ngineer
October 20th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I have always said defense is what wins championships, and Lehigh's if by far the best overall this year. Only time it has had trouble is when the offense can't drive, and they tire from being on field all day. Colgate does not seem to have much of D, so the offense should be able to control it's share of the clock. Glad the game will be in Goodman. If they get by the 'pards, the 10th will be a monster game and will be on national tv.

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I have always said defense is what wins championships, and Lehigh's if by far the best overall this year. Only time it has had trouble is when the offense can't drive, and they tire from being on field all day. Colgate does not seem to have much of D, so the offense should be able to control it's share of the clock. Glad the game will be in Goodman. If they get by the 'pards, the 10th will be a monster game and will be on national tv.

Yes, Lehigh has the best overall defense. Especially when Lafayette leads the NCAA in INTs.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Yes, Lehigh has the best overall defense. Especially when Lafayette leads the NCAA in INTs.

And Lehigh leads the NCAA in wins.

ngineer
October 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM

I said "overall"..I did not say they were the best interception team. Points and yardage say more about the overall efficiency. Interceptions are great (as an old DB, an interception is the greatest play in football. I got a bigger thrill over an interception than scoring a touchdown), but interceptions have various causes. Some due to great coverage, some due to great pressure on the QB, some due to poor passing by the QB, some due to poor hands by the receivers, some due to poor reading the coverage by the QB, some fortuitious tips or deflections. To date, Lehigh's defense has been the most effective. It's why we're undefeated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2012, 12:06 AM
I think it's tough to argue that Colgate has the best offense and Lehigh the best D.

Offense
1. Colgate
Big gap
2. Lehigh
3. Fordham
4. Lafayette
5. Georgetown
6. Holy Cross
7. Bucknell

Defense
1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
Big gap
3. Fordham
4. Bucknell
5. Georgetown
6. Colgate
7. Holy Cross

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2012, 01:40 AM
My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/lehigh-42-bucknell-19-final.html

Not always pretty, but in the end, an impressive win.

Hawk98
October 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM
There seems to be a lot of angst among LU folks here about playing Lafayette. The concerns surrounding Gate are understandable, but when did Lafayette suddenly become a big bad wolf? They have been at least, and likely more inconsistent than LU and i don't know if their offense has improved that much over last year. Colgate is the only game that makes me nervous.

Not overly concerned about the kitties. It's a rivalry game, and weird stuff can happen, but LU is better than LC, and should win.