PDA

View Full Version : Wofford's Shelton Not Defined by one Mistake

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2012, 06:22 AM
here's a lesson about mistakes, grace and redemption:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20121017/ARTICLES/121019666/1090/sports02?Title=Wofford-s-Shelton-not-defined-by-infamous-mistake

AppStsGr8
October 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks for posting that. That story underscores the kind of coach Ayers is as well. If all coaches focused on coaching the players first and the game second, football would be the better for it.

woffordgrad94
October 18th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Unfortunately, I feel that Mr. Shelton has indeed defined himself in a few unflattering ways. Apart from his infamous mistake in the playoffs, he has been known to deliver late hits and cheap shots, like the imfamous one on a GSU kicker. Shelton is a talented, hard-nosed player that can really help our team and has really helped our team. But he has also hurt our team at times when he gets caught up in the moment too much and loses his head. I can relate, as I have had a tendency to do the same thing. I am still not where I'd like to be, but I've gotten better with age. I am not trying to blast the kid in any way but he definitely has shown that he has some issues that need to be worked on, just as I have had to work on mine. I hope he works things out and has much success in the future.

eaglewraith
October 18th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I know that he's received a lot of grief for what happened in that playoff game, but I really think it was sweet justice for what happened at the end of our game last year. I hope he's learned to maintain his composure since then. Good luck to him in the future.

gsu_paintballer
October 18th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Agreed 100% on justice for cheap shotting our kicker.

boonedocks
October 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
That is still the most ridiculous play I have ever seen. Seriously, I had forgotten about it, and now I'm cracking up again. Quite possibly the worst, most bone-headed play I have ever seen.

Tremendous.

Ray Finkle and Jim Joyce make fun of this guy.

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM
sweet juice??:) That sounds a lot like karma; well, I am not into that kind of thing. :D

Oh, and 94, I am not sure what to make of your comment. He has made mistakes, yes... on the football field!! I do hope the full measure of his life is not just what he is on the football field and the satisfaction or the lack there of we get...I hope this small mistake along with the GSU kicker incident is not how he will be known. I hope it is his work as a student, his relationships, and the 1000s of other areas of life.

But you are right about making boneheaded mistakes as a 20 year old. I made my share and you indicated you made yours. But if our mistakes and stupidity are the sum total of who we are even 20 or 30 years later, well, God help us, especially you and me. After all, you work in nuclear power plants, right? May we extend grace in the measure to which we have received it. Peace.

blueballs
October 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM
sweet juice??:) That sounds a lot like karma; well, I am not into that kind of thing. :D

Oh, and 94, I am not sure what to make of your comment. He has made mistakes, yes... on the football field!! I do hope the full measure of his life is not just what he is on the football field and the satisfaction or the lack there of we get...I hope this small mistake along with the GSU kicker incident is not how he will be known. I hope it is his work as a student, his relationships, and the 1000s of other areas of life.

But you are right about making boneheaded mistakes as a 20 year old. I made my share and you indicated you made yours. But if our mistakes and stupidity are the sum total of who we are even 20 or 30 years later, well, God help us, especially you and me. After all, you work in nuclear power plants, right? May we extend grace in the measure to which we have received it. Peace.

The mistakes we make in our youth give us the opportunity to make them defining moments in our lives. How they are defined is dictated by how we handle them and what we learn from them.

DJ, you are 100% correct. I'm glad they didn't have camera phones and twitter when I was this kid's age. I know that I have been successful sometimes in spite of myself and that is God's grace. Hopefully this young man will benefit from that grace as well. He certainly has a great support group behind him.... now it is up to him.

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I felt bad for the kid. I'm sure he was on suicide watch after the game and every time he watched the all-time Not Top Ten.

I still think that mistake defines him. Nothing he will do for the rest of his life will be as well known as that mistake.

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I felt bad for the kid. I'm sure he was on suicide watch after the game and every time he watched the all-time Not Top Ten.

I still think that mistake defines him. Nothing he will do for the rest of his life will be as well known as that mistake. so if he becomes a doctor and saves countless lives or does something else of great impact...

oh, wait this is apphole talking. he is pulling my chain!!!

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM
so if he becomes a doctor and saves countless lives or does something else of great impact...

oh, wait this is apphole talking. he is pulling my chain!!!

I just highly doubt that he will be remembered for anything other than not taking a knee in the endzone. Is he pre med? A genius? Perhaps. Could he run into a burning building and save some screaming woman's baby? Maybe. It's not likely though.

Not trying to be a dick, just calling it how I see it. Best of luck to the guy.

Eaglesrus
October 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Caught me off guard to see my name in this thread, but quickly realized that the reference must be to someone else of the same name. I'll admit that I had some unkind thoughts about this young man after the incident with our kicker, but I don't recall ever having made fun of him.

SpeedkingATL
October 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM

I still think that mistake defines him. Nothing he will do for the rest of his life will be as well known as that mistake.

Remember it happened in an FCS game which 90% of the population pays no attention to....many saw it on ESPN highlights but once again because it was Wofford and not Alabama or Notre Dame or Southern Cal it is already forgotten by all but the few FCS faithful like those on this board. That moment will not define him and hopefully he will go on to do some worthy things in his life.

Just hope he doesn't get redemption against the Apps this weekend.xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
October 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM
It's interesting to title the headline "Wofford's Shelton not defined by infamous mistake" and then write the entire profile of Shelton about his infamous mistake and others.

Obviously, he is still defined by his infamous mistake.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, I feel that Mr. Shelton has indeed defined himself in a few unflattering ways. Apart from his infamous mistake in the playoffs, he has been known to deliver late hits and cheap shots, like the imfamous one on a GSU kicker. Shelton is a talented, hard-nosed player that can really help our team and has really helped our team. But he has also hurt our team at times when he gets caught up in the moment too much and loses his head. I can relate, as I have had a tendency to do the same thing. I am still not where I'd like to be, but I've gotten better with age. I am not trying to blast the kid in any way but he definitely has shown that he has some issues that need to be worked on, just as I have had to work on mine. I hope he works things out and has much success in the future.

He's made mistakes, no doubt about that, but you're really underscoring how passionate of a player he is. As many times he's made a mistake because he's lost his head, he's made probably made 10x more good plays.

Also, he has not ****ed up this year, like at all, so I think piling on him for his past mistakes when he's clearly matured and grown up is totally uncalled for.

CID1990
October 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I didn't read the article but I assumed it was about the guy who didn't take a knee in the end zone against UNI.

I didn't even know his name but what he did was classic.

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I just highly doubt that he will be remembered for anything other than not taking a knee in the endzone. Is he pre med? A genius? Perhaps. Could he run into a burning building and save some screaming woman's baby? Maybe. It's not likely though.

Not trying to be a dick, just calling it how I see it. Best of luck to the guy. I am just trying to wrap my mind around that statement. By that line of thought, we can never be any better than our worst mistake.

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I am just trying to wrap my mind around that statement. By that line of thought, we can never be any better than our worst mistake.

If your one mistake got more publicity than anything else in Wofford College history, I suppose you're right. It's not a principle to be applied to everyone's worst mistake. It's just true in this case IMO. If what "defines" someone is what they're best known for, it's a no brainer. If you have a different interpretation of what "defines" an individual, I understand why you would have a different opinion. I'm of the former.

cbarrier90
October 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
It's interesting to title the headline "Wofford's Shelton not defined by infamous mistake" and then write the entire profile of Shelton about his infamous mistake and others.

Obviously, he is still defined by his infamous mistake.

Was just going to post this... xlolx

BR54Niner
October 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Not trying to be a dick

You seldom try, it just comes natural.

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
You seldom try, it just comes natural.

Thank you, Concord area dick expert. Your expertise in the subject is appreciated.

GlassOnion
October 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Honestly, Im more impressed by Coach Ayers and his teamates in that article. Ayers is a classy man, good man, a patient man. From what I gather from various comments on here, and in the article, the young mans got little self control when hyped up in a game. Most guys would have not gone near the kicker after the the first penalty. Sounds like he's got it in for kickers and punters actually.

woffordgrad94
October 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
He's made mistakes, no doubt about that, but you're really underscoring how passionate of a player he is. As many times he's made a mistake because he's lost his head, he's made probably made 10x more good plays.

Also, he has not ****ed up this year, like at all, so I think piling on him for his past mistakes when he's clearly matured and grown up is totally uncalled for.

Ok YT. Maybe he has matured some. But some mistakes take time for people to just forget. Believe me, I know. And I don't feel like I was piling on him to begin with.

walliver
October 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It was three major mistakes in close proximity leading to 14 points for UNI. Obviously he had lost control, as 20 year olds sometimes do, and someone on the coaching staff should have picked it up and calmed him down before sending back out. But it's not like he killed soneone while DUI, or stabbed someone in a fight, or raped someone in a dorm. The whole point of the article is that he, and the team, have moved on.

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM
It was three major mistakes in close proximity leading to 14 points for UNI. Obviously he had lost control, as 20 year olds sometimes do, and someone on the coaching staff should have picked it up and calmed him down before sending back out. But it's not like he killed soneone while DUI, or stabbed someone in a fight, or raped someone in a dorm. The whole point of the article is that he, and the team, have moved on.

Well put

cmaxwellgsu
October 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Of course, the kid will always be remembered for this. It's his dubious claim to fame. He's the Bill Buckner of FCS football. As far as defining him, I'll leave that to what he does in his own life.

pleahy1
October 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM
One thing I know is that the Georgia Southern student section didn't forget about the playoff bobble. Every time he walked by or came off the field there was about 20 or 30 of them chanting "Not Top 10!" Not sure if it got to him or not, but they were trying.

Apphole
October 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
One thing I know is that the Georgia Southern student section didn't forget about the playoff bobble. Every time he walked by or came off the field there was about 20 or 30 of them chanting "Not Top 10!" Not sure if it got to him or not, but they were trying.

We shall follow suit.

eaglewraith
October 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM
We shall follow suit.

I would be disappointed otherwise.