PDA

View Full Version : NIght Games at Murray Goodman... unlikely

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/thebrownandwhiteblog/index.ssf/2012/10/lighting_at_goodman_poses_a_pr.html

“For us to play night games, we'd not only need lights for the stadium, but we'd need to light most of our parking areas and access pathways to the stadium,” said Joe Sterrett, director of athletics at Lehigh.

Sterrett said in order to savor the novelty of having a night game, not every home game can be planned for a later kickoff. So, the cost of adding the lighting and safety structures to Goodman Stadium that would be necessary would not be outweighed by the potentially heightened experience of the game.

A benefit of night games is that they appeal to the student more than an afternoon game. Colvin said he believes the student turnout at a night game would outnumber a Saturday afternoon match.

“A lot of people have to work until 5 o’clock. Some students have class all day, […] So it makes it easier for them to come out and support us because it’s later and more convenient,” said senior basketball player CJ McCollum.

What I found most interesting about this was that it seemed like the students would really go for a night game, but logisitcally it would not work, according to Joe Sterrett.

RichH2
October 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Yes, it would work. $$$ is the issue. LU wont pay for all of it. Which alumni will do it? That is what Joe was saying.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
This is a major blow to ever getting a seed. I don't understand what he means by the costs for added safety measures. The majority of parking is within the confines of Stabled Arena's lots. The other parking areas can be easily lighted by using portable light stands. Same with the field going to the stadium.

From a phone...

Sader87
October 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Holy Cross has put in temporary lights for a game the last couple years....if it can be done there, I think it can be done just about anywhere.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Brookings High School paid for the lights at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, and in turn, SDSU allows them to play their home games on the field. Maybe the local high school wants in on the action? hah

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
P
Brookings High School paid for the lights at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, and in turn, SDSU allows them to play their home games on the field. Maybe the local high school wants in on the action? hah

The stadium has been used for high school playoffs in the past.

I think Goodman would be a sweet concert venue! Washington-Griz has hosted the Stones. Stabler once hosted the Dead and Nirvana. Time to step up their game again...

From a phone....

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Not likely as the Bethlehem School District already has a stadium that seats 10k, and it of course has lights. At Lafayette lights were a no-brainer since we also practice at Fisher. I understand Sterret's logic. EVen if Lehigh gets 1,000 more fans per home game it will take some time to pay back the investment, but they can certainly help attendance.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The best part about night games = more time for tailgating prior to kickoff!

Hammerhead
October 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Do they hold classes on Saturday that would prevent students from attending an afternoon game?

RichH2
October 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
The only reservation there is cost. How much did lightd cost at Fisher?

Hawk98
October 17th, 2012, 10:15 PM
It's been a while since I was there, but there were some Saturday labs for certain classes. I dropped an elective once because I got put in a 9AM-12PM lab on Saturday morning.

I think there are also MBA type classes on Saturday for people that work during the week.

Franks Tanks
October 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
The only reservation there is cost. How much did lightd cost at Fisher?

Not sure-since we did all the renovations at once the cost of the specific projects weren't really broken down. Naturally since the stadium is on campus we didn't need the auxilary lighting that Sterett suggests would be necessary.

Bill
October 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I've discussed this before in other threads on the board (and take it for what it's worth, this is only an internet post board), but I had a personal conversation with Mr. Sterret about this in either 2002 or 2003 ( I can't remember exactly, but we were on the baseball infield portion of Fordham's field during the talk). Anyway, he said the department had loked into a while ago, and the total cost of everything back then was at/near 7 figures...The stadium lights would have to be ridiculously strong due to the distance and shape of the stadium assuming light posts go outside of the fenced areas), and the tailgate field on the scoreboard side is vast, to say the least. Also, remember the sides of the stadium would have to be lit becuase tickets are not taken at that end of the field, and people have to walk all the way around to get in....

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2012, 03:38 AM
If the rickety MSF can host night games, well, anything's possible at Goodman if there is the will to do so.

Sader87
October 18th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I don't think portable lighting is really all that expensive and/or cumbersome today.

Before HC had the night games at Fitton I had a hard time envisioning how they would light not only the stadium itself but the surrounding parking lots, entrance ways etc. Turns out it really wasn't that big of a deal (not to diminish the work the school and others put into that endeavor). Long story short, it can be done almost anywhere today imo.

Bill
October 18th, 2012, 08:34 AM
DFW

I agree, anything can be done if the will ($$) is there, but I really think the issue is the size of the project. The MSF field (as well as Fitton) areas are significantly smaller than Goodman's area. My rough calculations include (in addition to the field) the equivalent of roughly 6-8 minimum football field sized areas would have to be lit - the huge (acres and acres) of grass field/parking/tailgates, the walking distance around the stadium, and even the distance from the parking lots next to Stabler across the street to the field. I'm sure the risk management people would have fun with this one...

van
October 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Parking at Goodman is very generous, parking lots and tailgate areas probalby about 50 acres in size.

Sader87
October 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Here's an aerial view of HC....we are aided by the fact that the baseball field (above Fitton, where many season ticket holders etc park/tailgate) is lighted now but many park on Freshmen Field (below left) which isn't lighted. The HC campus is more compact I'm guessing than the area surrounding Goodman (never seen a game there)....still I don't think lighting in parking lots is a big factor and portable stadium lighting shouldn't be a factor with all the room (something I thought might be an issue at Fitton but wasn't).

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Who is Murray Goodman and why is he afraid of the dark?

Bill
October 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Sader

I've been to several games at Fitton, and yes, the area surrounding Goodman is significantly larger!

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Plenty of schools have selected night games that do not involve lighting the entire campus. Notre Dame parks cars on its golf course and that obviously has no illumination. Lights would also help with scheduling late afternoon games. A Lehigh game at 3:30 for TV could be as or more popular than a night start.

I think another concern about night games is teams that require overnight accomodations on Saturday. Most night games are in September and October and these tend to be non-conference foes. It's not like Liberty or UNH is going to bus back that night, but teams certainly can do it.

ngineer
October 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Few things. Risk management due to all the fields where tailgating now takes place, are basically open to the public. People can get into the area from all directions, with no intent on going to the game, but to creat trouble. Second, Sterret is right about the strength of the lighting needed for the stadium due to location of stands, unless somehow the four poles could be located in the four corners. Regarding the comment about getting more students out....doesn't seem to work in basketball, which plays most games at night inside Stabler Arena right across from Goodman. Student turnout very poor. Not sure why this impacts a seed down down the road. Games are played in the afternoon, and if concern about going late (December dimming daylight) then you could have temporary lights for the game, which would have helped in the famous Klingerman Catch in the Gloamin back in 1987 or so. I agree that night football brings a different 'edge' or excitement, but overall, I prefer the great autumn afternoon tailgating with the leaves turning on South Mountain,as they are right now. Should be a great atmosphere for Homecoming and Bucknell this Saturday.

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Here's an aerial view of HC....we are aided by the fact that the baseball field (above Fitton, where many season ticket holders etc park/tailgate) is lighted now but many park on Freshmen Field (below left) which isn't lighted.

With that view, it makes you wonder what would have happened if I-290 had not been diverted. It would have gone straight over where Fitton Field is today.

van
October 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Plenty of schools have selected night games that do not involve lighting the entire campus. Notre Dame parks cars on its golf course and that obviously has no illumination. Lights would also help with scheduling late afternoon games. A Lehigh game at 3:30 for TV could be as or more popular than a night start.

I think another concern about night games is teams that require overnight accomodations on Saturday. Most night games are in September and October and these tend to be non-conference foes. It's not like Liberty or UNH is going to bus back that night, but teams certainly can do it.

I would be very much in favor of 3:30 start for early Sept games, as would the paramedics that have to treat the old timers that pass out from the heat.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I would be very much in favor of 3:30 start for early Sept games, as would the paramedics that have to treat the old timers that pass out from the heat.

The early season games can be flat out miserable!

Did anyone ask Sterret if the lack of lights would hinder/eliminate Lehigh's chances of ever getting a seed?

Engineer86
October 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
For the games in the first half of September I would think you could do 3:30 starts without lights. That would likely give you four and a half hours to complete the games. I would save many sun burns.

I agree with the view that a big issue is not the lighting in the stabler lot, but no lights in the student lot nor the several hundred yard walk back to the Stabler lots. I also agree that afternoon games are a better atmosphere, but that might be the lack of night games I have been to.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM

The problem with this is that a 3:30 start is likely in direct competition with Penn State, Rutgers, and a host of other FBS schools. Don't get me wrong, a 3:30 start would be perfect for me, but I believe that's a factor.

van
October 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
The problem with this is that a 3:30 start is likely in direct competition with Penn State, Rutgers, and a host of other FBS schools. Don't get me wrong, a 3:30 start would be perfect for me, but I believe that's a factor.

huh?

RichH2
October 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Well perhaps.but, I would think we have competition all day not just at 3:30.