PDA

View Full Version : UAlbany Preseason Preview

danefan
August 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.albany.edu/sports/stories.htm#foot_preview

Ruler 79
August 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
They are massive up front on the O-line. D-Line is sizable as well.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this scholarship class pans out and how you guys fare against Lehigh. Should be interesting!

Dane96
August 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
I am going to play the pessimist and say we still will be outclassed. However, in two years, when this years 12 scholly guys have another 18 guys on rides (more likely 60 or so because of the splitting) we should be much better than some will fathom.

Ruler 79
August 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
I hate making predictions. I believe UA will either beat or be a coin toss with Fordham and Cornell. I think UA will get a big black eye against Delaware. I think a loss to Lehigh in close fashion(at least i hope).

Fordham
August 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Playing the pessimist would be telling us that you think the team will be worse as you move to scholarship football. :D

That O-line is huge! Good luck every Saturday but one (or two since I have to root for my PL brethren) this year Dane.

danefan
August 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
for those of you who don't really want to read the article.

The O-line averages 6'4", 308. Thats with a center who is only 6'1", 275. He's no slouch, but his stats bring the average down.

The biggest is the R Tackle at 6'6", 330.

aceinthehole
August 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Albany's O-line is huge and as I have said before they have one of the best at LB. IMO they still need a QB that can realy throw the ball down the field otherwise the opponents will stack the box. Their strenght is still likely on the Defensive side of the ball. They are a grind it out team and won't win any shootouts, but they shouldn't be overlooked by any team.

I'd like to see them split the OOC (with wins vs. Fordham and Cornell), but Delaware and Lehigh are likely too much this season. Like others in the NEC, the Danes have a solid foundation and a bright future.

Raider Dane
August 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Their kicking game was so bad last year, that it would be hard not to improve with any new kicker. But the kid they have coming in (Fralicker) is reportedly good...really good. Kinda like the kickers we see kicking against Albany most of the time. He should be able to put up not only the "must" points but also give their offense a good chance to score on drives that in the last two years, would have resulted in nothing but a deep.....long....sigh......

aceinthehole
August 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Their kicking game was so bad last year, that it would be hard not to improve with any new kicker. But the kid they have coming in (Fralicker) is reportedly good...really good. Kinda like the kickers we see kicking against Albany most of the time. He should be able to put up not only the "must" points but also give their offense a good chance to score on drives that in the last two years, would have resulted in nothing but a deep.....long....sigh......

Yes, the kicking game needed much improvement.

Missed PAT anyone? :D

UAalum72
August 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM

CCSU's was only one of several the last few years. Let alone the 3 safeties and a 3-yd TD 'drive' vs. UMass last yr from bad snaps by the backup long snapper.

Dane96
August 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM

Welcome Raider Dane. Kudos to your brother, simply a stud for our squad!!!!

Dane96
August 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM

You are just plain cold...frosty cold!:D

aceinthehole
August 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM
You are just plain cold...frosty cold!:D

Sorry :p - but in all seriousness I think the CCSU/UA game could be the best conference game of the year. Wish that was the TV game instead of CCSU/Monmouth. Watching last years game on TV you can see a real rivalry building and it was a very physical game.

CCSU will likely be a very hevy run team too becasue of our loaded backfield. With the new coach (from URI) and an agile Norris at QB, I might also expect some option sets.

We lost our top 2 WR and our kicker/punter (who I personally though might have been the NEC's best) from last year, so my bigest concerns are the passing game and special teams - the same things that hurt UA last year. I expect we should be very evenly matched again.

Ruler 79
August 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
ACE, did you say hurt UA or killed us? I am pretty sure our FG kicker last season cost us a piece of the NEC title!

The CCSU and Monmouth games of 04 and 05 were unmitigated disasters from an PAT and FG perspective. I was so looking forward to OT with CCSU last season, then I nearly put my foot through the TV!!!!!! (for those of you not in the know it was 14-7 with 2 minutes left Colin Disch by himself stuffed CCSU and forced a punt, UA got the ball back. UA scores with 1 minute left and the JACKASS from UA misses the PAT).

Dane96
August 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Yes Ace, the rivalry is budding and I think people underestimate the potential of CCSU. Part of that has something to do with the State system of Conn. constantly shafting you guys. I think a new arena (you have talked about) would be a big splash by CCSU and would say "we are ready for the next step." On the field you guys are great in many sports.

This year's matchup should be pretty brutal.

As for UA, I just looked at our newly released roster...my g-d we are young....something like 55 underclassmen, including R-FR. I have never seen so much depth at every position.

ngineer
August 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
A huge OL--but can they move?? To me that's the more important question. I've seen huge lines before, but if the have slow feet I'll take a strong 280 pounder with quick feet any day. Guess we'll find out in less than a month. I fully expect UA to be a handful, which is good. A lopsided scrimmage does no one any good in that first game. Both teams will make mistakes, but you want to be able to get a true measurement of where you stand. Here's hopin' Sept. 2 at Goodman will be a little cooler than what we have down here, now!

Dane96
August 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ngineer, the line is huge...and can move. It may be a better line, overall, than the one you faced two years ago. Problem is, the rest of the team is very, very young...no one wants to believe me. I wish we played htis schedule in two years.

ngineer
August 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Ngineer, the line is huge...and can move. It may be a better line, overall, than the one you faced two years ago. Problem is, the rest of the team is very, very young...no one wants to believe me. I wish we played htis schedule in two years.

Yes, I recall a big line two years ago, but I thought you had a good number of returning starters from last year's team? If my memory serves me correctly, UA hung fairly tough the first half before we were able to pull away. I expect a much closer game this year with UA's improvements and our 'transition' with a new coaching staff. Talk about stability--Bob Ford must have the longest tenure of anyone after Paterno?

Dane96
August 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, I recall a big line two years ago, but I thought you had a good number of returning starters from last year's team? If my memory serves me correctly, UA hung fairly tough the first half before we were able to pull away. I expect a much closer game this year with UA's improvements and our 'transition' with a new coaching staff. Talk about stability--Bob Ford must have the longest tenure of anyone after Paterno?

We have two new guys starting this year on the line...and the line is mostly different from two years ago.

Not only has Ford been there since the beginning, Coach Simpson is entering his 20th season as our Defensive Coordinator. It definately helps when you are entering a game as underdogs. Not much these guys haven't seen.