PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette's Brad Maurer throws down the gauntlet

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Leopards fine with No. 2 spot

Patriot preseason poll gives Lafayette plenty of respect, but without the bull's-eye.

By Don Bostrom Of The Morning Call

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-lafayetteaug03,0,4661366.story

Lafayette senior Brad Maurer fearlessly threw a verbal gauntlet down during the Patriot League football media day Tuesday at Green Pond Country Club.

''We're looking forward to going for the three-peat this season,'' Maurer joyfully chirped. ''We have a real good chance of taking the title home.''

Before coaches around the league start heading to Kinko's so they can plaster that all over their bulletin boards, understand one thing.

The Leopards quarterback and tri-captain was talking about his intramural bowling team.

''I am an avid bowler,'' Maurer said. ''I am actually pretty good with both hands. I taught my roomie how to spin the ball and our team has actually won the intramural championships the last two years. We're in a great position to win it all again.''

Maurer, a Marquis Scholar and a perfect poster boy for the academic and athletic balance the Patriot League strives for, wasn't as bold when it came to predicting the football team's chance to become only the second school in league history to earn at least a share of three consecutive crowns, something Holy Cross accomplished from 1989-91.

He took no umbrage to the preseason poll that has the Leopards pegged No. 2 behind 2005 co-champion Colgate.

''You obviously want your program to get to the point where you are expected to be contending for the championship every year,'' Maurer said. ''We are starting to get to that point where our name comes up on the short list of contenders and we are getting respect. As far as I'm concerned, expectations are a good problem to have.

''A lot of those projections are based on performances from last season and a bunch of unknowns, like new players coming in to replace departed starters,'' Maurer added. ''Based on that, I'm not surprised at all by the picks.''

Andy
August 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
''You obviously want your program to get to the point where you are expected to be contending for the championship every year,'' Maurer said. ''We are starting to get to that point where our name comes up on the short list of contenders and we are getting respect. As far as I'm concerned, expectations are a good problem to have."

Could it be said any better than that? Ya gotta love that kid.

Pretty funny comments on Snipes. At the FB forum last night Coach mentioned how big and scary Marvin is now. He said Marvin went table to table at the media event, Coach said kids were wide eyed as he'd walk away. Marvin said, "yeah coach, I'm being sociable now, but some of those kids played dirty last year, tried to hurt me, they're gonna pay." Marvin is very serious this year.

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Oh man... I love the Snipes intimidation factor... clearly he is already in some players' heads.

Reading that article made me even more excited. I was curious to know how hungry the Leopards are this year... and it seems they are very detemined and focused... alot of personal and team goals have yet to be met. I hope Sacred Heart is ready to get Sniped..

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Nice avatar Andy... though every time I see it, I think 'Wes Erbe'.. I guess 2004 hasn't yet left my mind

Andy
August 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Nice avatar Andy... though every time I see it, I think 'Wes Erbe'.. I guess 2004 hasn't yet left my mind

LOL, yes, old #9. Good player, BIG hitter. Injuries robbed him of playing time and us of more of a chance to enjoy his play.

Lafalumni29
August 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
''You obviously want your program to get to the point where you are expected to be contending for the championship every year,'' Maurer said. ''We are starting to get to that point where our name comes up on the short list of contenders and we are getting respect. As far as I'm concerned, expectations are a good problem to have."

Could it be said any better than that? Ya gotta love that kid.

Pretty funny comments on Snipes. At the FB forum last night Coach mentioned how big and scary Marvin is now. He said Marvin went table to table at the media event, Coach said kids were wide eyed as he'd walk away. Marvin said, "yeah coach, I'm being sociable now, but some of those kids played dirty last year, tried to hurt me, they're gonna pay." Marvin is very serious this year.
Oh man, I can't wait for this party to start!!!!!!