PDA

View Full Version : No Davidson to CAA. Football impacts?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Chris Dortch @cdortch
After pondering a move to the Colonial, Davidson decides to remain in Southern Conference, which retains a marquee hoops program.

Any football impacts to this decision?

dbackjon
October 16th, 2012, 05:01 PM
None

Dane96
October 16th, 2012, 05:10 PM
No...but it does leave the door open to potential all-sport moves by UA and Stony Brook.

T-Dog
October 16th, 2012, 05:13 PM
No immediate football impact on the southern front. It might impact CofC's CAA vote this Friday though. Their BOT is split on the issue.

I could see Elon sending love letters to Yeager now.

Dane96
October 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Yep...Elon sending the love letters...but frankly...this all hinges on C of C. If they don't come...expect a push for Stony Brook. And if that occurs...you may see UNH and Albany jump into the ring.

Or they just go straight hoops and invite some far out teams that have been discussed like Wright State.

aceinthehole
October 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
If the door is closed on a "southern" CAA Football member, does it open the door for another "northern" CAA Football member to round out the league at 12?

Dane96
October 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I still think they try South first to appease UNC-W.

aceinthehole
October 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I still think they try South first to appease UNC-W.

I think the full CAA mebership still goes south, but it may be a member(s) that doesn't have football (just Charleston) and so they may need another football-only member. (or at least that's what I'm hoping for)

Dane96
October 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM
We hope for you!

Tim James
October 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
So what's the reason why they declined the invite ?

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Good for Davidson. The Wildcats go way back in the SoCon and I appreciate the loyalty.

The CAA has a big (geographical) footprint, and that's not an inconsequential factor at a smaller school like Davidson. Nine of the 12 SoCon schools are in the Carolinas--Davidson doesn't have to travel north of Elon for a conference game. Consider the travel costs to Drexel, Hofstra, or Northeastern.

If Davidson is good in the SoCon, it can earn an at-large bid, same as in the CAA.

Seawolf97
October 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
No football impact but as we know they are more than respectable in basketball. Maybe this does open the door for Elon . Not sure SBU is ready or wants in to the CAA in all sports just yet. When our new arena opens in 2014 then maybe. We host the Mens Lax AE Tourny the next two years I dont think our admin wants to give that up but who knows.

jmufan
October 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
If the league goes all northern, you will probably lose some southern schools. UNCW being one of them, possibly others.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2012, 09:20 PM
The SoCon should have gone after UNCW and CCU to avoid a raid.

mainejeff
October 17th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Yep...Elon sending the love letters...but frankly...this all hinges on C of C. If they don't come...expect a push for Stony Brook. And if that occurs...you may see UNH and Albany jump into the ring.

Or they just go straight hoops and invite some far out teams that have been discussed like Wright State.

So remind me how Stony Brook, Albany and UNH are going to ramp up funding for their athletic programs and travel budgets???

mainejeff
October 17th, 2012, 06:38 AM
So what's the reason why they declined the invite ?

They see the future........and it will not be kind to the CAA (IMO).

mainejeff
October 17th, 2012, 06:43 AM
If the league goes all northern, you will probably lose some southern schools. UNCW being one of them, possibly others.

Yup.......the CAA is fighting a Civil War right now. And no matter which side wins.........the conference loses. Either they expand South and close the door on adding very nice Northern mid-major athletic programs like Stony Brook and Albany........or they add those programs and lose UNCW, JMU and most likely W&M in the process.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM
So remind me how Stony Brook, Albany and UNH are going to ramp up funding for their athletic programs and travel budgets???

This is how: http://threevillage.patch.com/articles/officials-5-7m-on-the-way-for-lavalle-stadium-expansion

danefan
October 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM
This is how: http://threevillage.patch.com/articles/officials-5-7m-on-the-way-for-lavalle-stadium-expansion

Operating funds are much much more difficult to get from the state than capital funding.

Not saying its not possible, but your link is to money obtained as capital funding, which cannot be reappropriated to oprerating funds.

tribefan40
October 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Yup.......the CAA is fighting a Civil War right now. And no matter which side wins.........the conference loses. Either they expand South and close the door on adding very nice Northern mid-major athletic programs like Stony Brook and Albany........or they add those programs and lose UNCW, JMU and most likely W&M in the process.

Don't see W&M going anywhere, even with those additions. It would take some wide-spread and significant defections to shake W&M's tree, and given the stance of our AD we would most likely be the last to leave.

OL FU
October 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Glad Davidson is staying. Now if CofC will vote yes the world will be close to being right again

JMU2004
October 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM
changes nothing in the short term for JMU.

If expansion completely fails, we will be looking for a new home.

CID1990
October 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Glad Davidson is staying. Now if CofC will vote yes the world will be close to being right again

The SoCon's loss will be the CAA's loss in the case of cofc.

Dane96
October 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Albany already had the money. Same with SBU. I am not being a dick...seriously...but it is a fact. They were sitting on the scholly money for years. Add to that there is SIGNIFICANT funding being put back into the school via the Nanotech and Life Sciences licensing program at UA...and SBU has the sugar daddy LaValle....but UA seems to have a new staunch supporter in Gov Cuomo (who's kid I think went to UA).

Now...from UA's perspective...we would need SERIOUS upgrades for hoops (inside the SEFCU, practice area and academic support) to make the move worthwhile. Baseball and softball need basic upgrades like better seating and concessions/bathrooms. Otherwise....the money is there.

UNH...not sure what they would do.

nj alum
October 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I disagree.

There is no Civil War. W&M is going nowhere. The league is just going through its progressions, like a QB would.

The CAA is looking to replace Ga. St., ODU, and VCU. The CAA is going to change from a Virginia "bus" league to an eastern seaboard conference.

UNCW's needs, and the replacement for Ga. St., is easy. With all due respect to Ga. St., either Coastal or Elon is an improvement, and provides a travel partner for UNCW.

CofC is the replacement for VCU, assuming they come. By replacement, I'm not talking recent success...I'm talking hoops school, etc.

Replacing ODU is a tough issue...and that may take a while.

Maine's concern, and I'm sure it's yours as well, is what happens if the CAA, now that Albany and SB are in for football, says that it needs Albany and SB for all sports, and Albany and SB say yes.

Dane96
October 17th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Personally, I think the CAA will be VERY different in the next four years. I see JMU moving at some point. So after that...why would you honestly go South? To appease Wilmington? Really? "NBC, we are adding these small southern markets" or solidifying advertising spend for NBC with bigger NE markets?

I think the CAA will start resembling more of the old Yankee Conference then it will a southern conference. I don't see UD going up to FBS at all.

I don't think W&M would leave if they add any Northern schools. In fact, a W&M high level faculty member sits on UA's outside board.

Dane96
October 17th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Operating funds are much much more difficult to get from the state than capital funding.

Not saying its not possible, but your link is to money obtained as capital funding, which cannot be reappropriated to oprerating funds.

Fact...and the same with any Federal monies received by a University that are earmarked as capital funds. Now, can you add some "remedial maintenance" to a capital funds use...yes...yes you can if your team is smart with language usage.

NHwildEcat
October 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM

I dounbt UNH or Maine leaves the AE. With BU out of the way there is more of a unison thought process to the future of the conference IMO. I could be wrong, and would love to see UNH move up to a new conference but I don't see us being able to hang honestly.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I dounbt UNH or Maine leaves the AE. With BU out of the way there is more of a unison thought process to the future of the conference IMO. I could be wrong, and would love to see UNH move up to a new conference but I don't see us being able to hang honestly.

There is no reason for Albany/UNH/Maine/SBU to leave AE. They essentially control the direction of "CAA Football" now. Especially with Rhode Island sticking around.

Dane96
October 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
In some ways LFN...100% spot on.

These four schools are wanted at varying levels as the "next-up" CAA replacements...and if two or more left...it could be an AE killer.

I really think Eastern athletics will be shaped at some point by what happens with these four. I can see the following in the next four-five years:

CAA All Sport Football
Northern All-Sport
Southern All-Sport

The first one would be an reincarnation of the Yankee as an all-sport conference...but with some southern flavor

The last two will be hoops only conferences broken on geography. It makes too much sense institution-wise for it to happen though.

ccd494
October 17th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Albany already had the money. Same with SBU. I am not being a dick...seriously...but it is a fact. They were sitting on the scholly money for years. Add to that there is SIGNIFICANT funding being put back into the school via the Nanotech and Life Sciences licensing program at UA...and SBU has the sugar daddy LaValle....but UA seems to have a new staunch supporter in Gov Cuomo (who's kid I think went to UA).

Now...from UA's perspective...we would need SERIOUS upgrades for hoops (inside the SEFCU, practice area and academic support) to make the move worthwhile. Baseball and softball need basic upgrades like better seating and concessions/bathrooms. Otherwise....the money is there.

UNH...not sure what they would do.

UNH would have to go, the AE is not viable without SBU/UA, so if they get that lifeboat, they go regardless of whether they can compete.

fc97
October 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM
WAIT, WHAT? MPSLBISON WAS WRONG.

HE SAID NO FOOTBALL SCHOOLS AND ONLY DAVIDSON AND CHARLESTON.

seriously? he was wrong? how could this be? he knows everything!

fc97
October 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM

i don't know. everything is still hushed. and there are still the reports from summer where elon had already been voted on. if davidson is staying. i just don't know anymore.

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I don't think Davidson's decision has a thing to do with football.

However, I continue to believe that the CAA as it exists today is on borrowed time - too far geographically stretched schools without common interests.