PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette's Tavani Speaks Out

carney2
August 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
As promised/threatened, I am reporting back from the preseason "football forum" held at the College's Alumni Center on August 2nd. Unfortunately, I ran into construction delays on the way to the College, and missed my opportunity to schmooz. Things were in full swing when I arrived. Here's the important stuff (most of it from a very long Q&A session with head coach, Frank Tavani) as best I can remember it (all quotes are from Frank Tavani):

FISHER FIELD CONSTRUCTION

Construction is on schedule, but there's going to be a lot of quick time, heavy breathing and prayer during the last two weeks. "I expect that the painters will be going out one door as the fans come in another for the first game."

The scoreboard was torn down today so that construction can begin on the Varsity House. Construction on this building will be ongoing throughout the season, and it is scheduled to be completed before the beginning of spring practice. This sason will be the last for football at Metzgar Fields.

The new north (visiting) stands will actually hold more people than the old stands. The new stands will stretch from end zone to end zone.

The new field turf supposedly can withstand up to 24 inches of water.

LIGHTS AND NIGHT GAMES

The school really wanted the Penn game (9/16) to be under the lights. They determined, however, that it could be subject to construction problems, and a last minute rescheduling would mean a huge black eye for the College and would be a disservice to the folks at Penn. Discretion being the better part of valor, the powers that be decided not to chance it.

There was apparently a very real intention to schedule the Yale game (9/30) at night. When the game was chosen for national TV however, that went out the window.

Tavani predicts that, in the future, most home games thru the 2nd Saturday in October, will be played at night. He looks forward to it.

THE TEAM

DEFENSE

The DEFENSIVE LINE will be the strength of the defense. Agile. Mobile. Hostile.

You can write Justin Stovall and Andy Romans in ink at LINEBACKER. Frank seems to be expecting big things from Romans, in particular. Brian Reddy still has injury problems, and the 3rd backer spot is apparently up for grabs.

He likes his DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD. He thinks he has experience and athleticism back there.

OFFENSE

The OFFENSIVE LINE looks very strong. Frank seems to have a lot of faith in the backups here as well as the starters.

Lots of WIDE RECEIVERS, but need someone to step up and become the Brandon Stanford of this group. Look for Shaun Adair to fill that role.

The TIGHT END battle is wide open, but there does not appear to be a lack of talent.

Maurer looks better than ever. The only name that Frank would mention as a backup QUARTERBACK was DiPaola. He refers to him a "winner" and compares him to Pat Davis as a guy who may "never start" (his exact words), but can be depended on at any time.

He mentioned Jonathon Hurt's fumble problems, but there is no doubt that he is "the man." at RUNNING BACK. Frank says that he is going to spend the next month getting him "mad." Joe Russo appears to be penciled in as the up back.

PRESEASON POLLS

He was very happy NOT to be number one in the preseason Patriot League poll and says that he would have been even happier with a 3rd or 4th.

Both Frank and the SID chose Colgate as number one and Lehigh as number two. (You cannot vote for your own team in the Patriot League poll.)

RECRUITING

Recruiting continues to go well. The coaching staff entered last season's recruiting season looking for around 28 recruits. They ended up with 35 and indicate that they like what they got.

INCOMING FRESHMEN

Things have changed. Apparently, the tape showing 3 or 4 plays for each incoming freshman used to be a highlight of the evening. As Frank said, "That was when the future was all we had." Now, it's a "Do you want to see it, or do you want to go home?" presentation. Of course, we wanted to see it. I couldn't tell much by looking at a few plays, so I concentrated on Frank and tried to determine if there were some guys that he was particularly excited about. Here is one man's opinion:

TYRELL COON, 5-11, 190 TB from Jamaica, NY "Watch this guy. He's going to be something special."

KEITH HEANEY, 6-3, 220 LB from Lincroft, NJ "I expect him to be in the mix for that 3rd linebacker spot."

DeANDRE' MORROW, 5-10, 180 TB from Hilton Head, SC "Very fast. This could be Brandon Stanford's successor as punt returner."

ALLAN WHITESELL, 6-6, 220 DL from Tequesta, FL Nothing specific. I just got the feeling that Frank is expecting something here.

SCHEDULES AND SCHEDULING

The schedules through 2011 were pretty well settled by the previous Athletic Director, Eve Atkinson. Frank and current AD, Bruce McCutcheon exchanged some glances and comments that indicated to me that they are not thrilled with the current state of the schedule - nor with their experiences under Ms. Atkinson. Frank then recognized that he was not conveying a positive position here, so he spent a few minutes singing the praises of the Ivy League and all of the games we will be playing against them over the next few years.

In response to a specific question, Frank said that he has been in contact with Army, attempting to schedule games. He was particularly incensed that they have scheduled VMI, but won't let any of their fellow Patriot Leaguers cash that big pay check. "I guess they'll call us after we have a bad season." I didn't get the impression, however, that a game against Army is in the cards nor a major goal for future schedules, so don't blow these few words into anything more than you see right here on this page.

BITS n PIECES

The microphone failed, and I had a lot of trouble hearing from my latecomer's position in the rear of the room, but I believe that Frank mentioned that MAURICE BENNETT is no longer with the Chicago Bears. He said that BLAKE COSTANZO is doing very well with the New York Jets, however.

Frank requested that everyone going to the 9/9 Bucknell game bring flashlights. He called the Bucknell lighting system "the most underpowered in America." He said that the Bison use a lot of fakes and hidden ball to take advantage of the poor lighting. "Home field advantage," as he called it.

Frank was quite disturbed by an unidentified player from another Patriot League team who kept referring to the League as a "junior Ivy League" at yesterday's media day in Bethlehem. Said that he would have gladly choked the young man if he had access. Again, the Ivy League. He apparently doesn't like all of the games that are scheduled with them and he certainly doesn't appreciate being cast in their shadow. Opinion!!

That's it. I'm going to bed. If you didn't get enough, then you're a bigger goofball than me.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Thats some good stuff. Maybe LFN knows what player used the term 'junior Ivy League'?

As I said in my piece, Whitesell was a wanted player in this league. Lafayette won that battle.

Also, I think Colgate is working on an Army game in 2011/2012.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
The schedules through 2011 were pretty well settled by the previous Athletic Director, Eve Atkinson. Frank and current AD, Bruce McCutcheon exchanged some glances and comments that indicated to me that they are not thrilled with the current state of the schedule - nor with their experiences under Ms. Atkinson. Frank then recognized that he was not conveying a positive position here, so he spent a few minutes singing the praises of the Ivy League and all of the games we will be playing against them over the next few years.

Frank was quite disturbed by an unidentified player from another Patriot League team who kept referring to the League as a "junior Ivy League" at yesterday's media day in Bethlehem. Said that he would have gladly choked the young man if he had access. Again, the Ivy League. He apparently doesn't like all of the games that are scheduled with them and he certainly doesn't appreciate being cast in their shadow. Opinion!!

Pretty good review overall, thanks for that. I would be very surprised, though, if that's how it went down with the Ivy League. Although the record against the Ivies hasn't been good under Tavani, every school in the league has several games against the Ivies each year . . hell, they helped form the league, and they're all like institutions. And as we witnessed last year, the selection committee doesn't discount losses to them when they select the playoff field.

My take on the "junior Ivy League" is that the Patriot League is junior to nobody, athletically or academically, and he didn't appreciate that comment. But it's a pretty big jump to opine, from that comment, that he doesn't like the games scheduled against them. Take shots at the program for playing Marist and Sacred Heart instead of A-10 schools if you will (although you mentioned the schedule was done a dozen years in advance, anyways . . and Sacred Heart only came on late since we were dropped by Columbia) . . but our Ivy League schedule is second to none this year and I'm sure every school in the league would love to have it.

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Yes, top notch material carney.. must save the date next year... I liked the part about the scheduling... did not know about how Atkinson was responsible for the Ivy partnership.. although we should still play some games against them... not four or five.. crikey.. interesting about Army.. how about some more A10s or a SoCon?

And it's glad to finally know the story about the lights.. I think we all kind of had the idea that the first game was due to construction... too bad about the Yale game at night... prime opponent for lights..

The team looks really well.. especially the recruits... I just wish Tavani was more elaborate on the secondary... that is still a question mark :twocents:

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yes, I could say who said it (several times during his speech), but I won't reveal it here to protect the innocent. If a coach, AD, or Ms. Femovich said it, that would be unforgivable, but I'll gladly cut the player some slack.

Another thing that struck me was the "bring your flashlights to the Bucknell game." Hey, Frank, tell us what you really think? (Ken_Z, any chance Bucknell could upset the Leopards rather than the inhabitants of the frozen tundra? :D )

Army has evidently made the Patriot League "persona non-grata", which is outrageous - they are evidently fraidy-scared of losing. Good luck anyone who is able to schedule a game against Army - Lehigh has tried, but also been unsuccessful. I think they just don't want to play us.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
And it's glad to finally know the story about the lights.. I think we all kind of had the idea that the first game was due to construction... too bad about the Yale game at night... prime opponent for lights..

I think everybody involved is more thrilled that the Yale game will be live on national television instead of disappointed that it won't be at night. Plus the lights will help later with scheduling for more nationally televised games if they fit the time slot a network is looking for.

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yes, I could say who said it (several times during his speech), but I won't reveal it here to protect the innocent. If a coach, AD, or Ms. Femovich said it, that would be unforgivable, but I'll gladly cut the player some slack.

Another thing that struck me was the "bring your flashlights to the Bucknell game." Hey, Frank, tell us what you really think? (Ken_Z, any chance Bucknell could upset the Leopards rather than the inhabitants of the frozen tundra? :D )

Army has evidently made the Patriot League "persona non-grata", which is outrageous - they are evidently fraidy-scared of losing. Good luck anyone who is able to schedule a game against Army - Lehigh has tried, but also been unsuccessful. I think they just don't want to play us.

Hmmm... must have been a Lehigh player who said it ... :rotateh:

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
I think everybody involved is more thrilled that the Yale game will be live on national television instead of disappointed that it won't be at night. Plus the lights will help later with scheduling for more nationally televised games if they fit the time slot a network is looking for.

This is true, given that the national audience knows of our exploits vs. App St. and Delaware.

That Bucknell game as scheduled as 1pm for a long while.. I can see why Tavani is annoyed... definete homefield manuver if it is in fact true... and plus, it prevents some of the Pard contigency from traveling on Rt. 80 at night in UFO territory.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
This is true, given that the national audience knows of our exploits vs. App St. and Delaware.

That Bucknell game as scheduled as 1pm for a long while.. I can see why Tavani is annoyed... definete homefield manuver if it is in fact true... and plus, it prevents some of the Pard contigency from traveling on Rt. 80 at night in UFO territory.

No, you're preventing yourself from traveling on Rt. 80 . . just step up and make the trip :D

carney2
August 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
New day, but the memory banks continue to expel some minutia. Here goes:

Just a single stray comment, but Frank indicated that Columbia pulled the plug on this year's 10/7 game. Not a "mutual" decision; not Lafayette's desire to get a game under their belts before the League opener at Bucknell.

Nothing about individual opponents, but there was a passing phrase (not even a full sentence) about the "Colgate thing" - an obvious reference to that monkey on our back.

There was a brief discussion of how to get a home playoff game. Bruce McCutcheon, the AD, emphasized that one first has to be invited to the dance, but then went into a brief commentary on the subject. Frank interjected that you have to "buy" the game if you are not one of the top 4 seeds. McCutcheon agreed that you have to "bid" for it and that the financial guarantees that the NCAA requires makes it a risky business for a school like Lafayette. Still, he said that, when the time comes, Lafayette will probably place a bid if it appears that we are in the hunt.

There will be more as I think of it.

PapaBear
August 3rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
My take on the "junior Ivy League" is that the Patriot League is junior to nobody, athletically or academically

Amen to that. Whoever made this comment is proof positive that a degree in journalism doesn't confer common sense and intelligence on its recipient.xidiotx

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
Amen to that. Whoever made this comment is proof positive that a degree in journalism doesn't confer common sense and intelligence on its recipient.xidiotx

maybe I'm missing something, I don't know where it was mentioned that the student-athlete in question is a journalism major . . ?

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
New day, but the memory banks continue to expel some minutia. Here goes:

Just a single stray comment, but Frank indicated that Columbia pulled the plug on this year's 10/7 game. Not a "mutual" decision; not Lafayette's desire to get a game under their belts before the League opener at Bucknell.

Nothing about individual opponents, but there was a passing phrase (not even a full sentence) about the "Colgate thing" - an obvious reference to that monkey on our back.

There was a brief discussion of how to get a home playoff game. Bruce McCutheon, the AD, emphasized that one first has to be invited to the dance, but then went into a brief commentary on the subject. Frank interjected that you have to "buy" the game if you are not one of the top 4 seeds. McCutcheon agreed that you have to "bid" for it and that the financial guarantees that the NCAA requires makes it a risky business for a school like Lafayette. Still, he said that, when the time comes, Lafayette will probably place a bid if it appears that we are in the hunt.

There will be more as I think of it.

Yeah the Columbia game was their own decision and the Pards had nothing to do with it... they are on 2007's schedule though.

And I take it that as long as we are not a top four, we are not getting a playoff game..

..man it's fun having that conversation... considering where we came from..

Andy
August 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks to Carney for making me aware of this football function, the date for which remained TBD on the website. I don't know why it wasn't publicized.

Carney, tremendous job, if you're not a reporter by trade, you should be.

If Frank ever gets comfortable in front of a crowd we may have some fun at these things. :) He was in a very good mood.

Carney retained a lot more than I, but here are some things:

Schedule--I interpret Frank's comments differently. He and Bruce are not happy with what Eve left them, but I felt that he meant playing the top four in the Ivy might be a little little tougher than he would want it. Although he was up for the challenge. As Carney said, the mikle was out, I may have taken Frank's comments wrong there.

Army--he mentioned that Army would want to ensure that an opponent was a full equivalency program. A "counter" as Ralph has educated me.

"Inside scoop"--Padilla to RT, Leo to RG.

Jarrell Robinson--knee injury and serious operation, not a scope, has hampered his development. If he can't play DT with the pain, they may switch him to O-line, where he was all-state BTW.

Costanzo--keeps in touch with Coach Loose who has a connection at Jets camp, Coach Sutton. Blake is known as "the psycho" in the Jets locker room. Frank says a pro-football camp is the "perfect place" for Blake to be. I have to rewatch the App St game (I may have lost it-damn) Coach says Blake "manhandled" their TE.

I got a big kick out of Carney saying he watches for Frank's comments during the recruit video. This was my third or fourth year's video and that's exactly what I do. I think we should mention for the benefit of any kids reading this stuff, that Frank might comment on other kids the next time he shows the tape:

Coon--third or fourth time I've read/heard Frank speak highly of him and he did look good running the ball. Played safety in the Empire Classic.

DB--loves the speed, athleticism. Commented on Leland's big hitting ability. I liked McGovern's tape, too, and Roibinson's and Vincent's too, for that matter.

OL--several drew comments inc. Woody ("a very large person"), Wotring (from a very good league), Wojcik, Hart.

Paulson--may have been overlooked by some programs due to his "emaciated" condition after making weight in wrestling. Much bigger now, good player.

Ian Dell--very big kid whom coach sees growing into a DT.

Brad--Coach seemed to have absolutely no concern for his separated shoulder. That would be the story of the season IMO. I have suffered a separated shoulder (a "real ear-tickler" my comedian doctor said) and while there is no pain ten years later, the thing is loose. I am skeptical of Brad's being 100%, I hope I'm wrong.

Heaney--"had a great North-South game". Coach loves this kid, the possibility exists that he could start at SAM and a freshman starting is something that Coach obviously thinks is a real big deal.

Plumby--starter as SAM right now, "working real hard"

I thought Curley showed an excellent release, good arm.

Thanks again, Carney.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Schedule--I interpret Frank's comments differently. He and Bruce are not happy with what Eve left them, but I felt that he meant playing the top four in the Ivy might be a little little tougher than he would want it. Although he was up for the challenge. As Carney said, the mikle was out, I may have taken Frank's comments wrong there.

Great information Andy, especially on the recruits. I would expect that this explanation of the schedule is more in line with what Tavani was saying, instead of "I don't like the Ivies, and I don't think we're a junior Ivy League, and I don't want to play them." He'll play who's on the schedule, no matter who set it up, and you have to play the games in front of you.

PapaBear
August 4th, 2006, 07:10 AM
maybe I'm missing something, I don't know where it was mentioned that the student-athlete in question is a journalism major . . ?

Yeah, you are missing something: my attempt to devalue a comment that slighted your school and your conference, using a little careless but not-to-be-taken-literally editorial license.

Fordham
August 4th, 2006, 08:48 AM
So does Tavani have any D-I aspirations or is he expected to end his career as a legend in Easton?

It's certainly no coincidence that two programs that have elevated themselves from the lower end of the league at some point prior to these guy's arrivals are now at the top of the league, year-in, year-out. I remember having a debate/argument with our AD about his take that our job is a stepping stone position and while I understand where he's coming from I think the only way to build something with long-term, high-performing sustainability is to have someone who wants to finish his career at the school. Otherwise, you only get one of three options - either you get a great coach who sticks for 3 - 5 years and then you hope you catch lightning in a bottle again (e.g. - Clawson), you get a guy who fails in a similar timeframe ... or you get the guy with the best chance to stay in the position for the longer term, which is a guy who doesn't produce good enough results to move on but also isn't so bad that you get rid of him ... in a word 'mediocrity'.

The more I hear of Tavani, the more you gotta love the guy. Hope for you Pard fans that he's a long termer for you.

cosmo here
August 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, you are missing something: my attempt to devalue a comment that slighted your school and your conference, using a little careless but not-to-be-taken-literally editorial license.

were you taking a shot at me, or at the student-athlete who said the Patriot League is the "junior Ivy League" ? because if it's the former, I was simply clarifying Tavani's statement that he didn't appreciate the comment of that player. take the shot at him (btw, Tavani was a Psychology major).

carney2
August 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Great information Andy, especially on the recruits. I would expect that this explanation of the schedule is more in line with what Tavani was saying, instead of "I don't like the Ivies, and I don't think we're a junior Ivy League, and I don't want to play them." He'll play who's on the schedule, no matter who set it up, and you have to play the games in front of you.

It's all up to "interpretation," so who knows. Having been in the room however, I can tell you that both Tavani and McCutcheon are unhappy with the scheduling. I can say this with 99 and 44/100% certainty.

Here's another spin - and not a bad one, if I do say so myself. As of this spring the schedule included 100% Ivy as OOC opponents. That's 5 games against the Ivy League. As pointed out earlier in this thread, that number was reduced to 4 only because one of the Ivy teams - Columbia - backed out. Three Ivy games would be nice. Two would be OK too. Five/100% is ridiculous. Perhaps the Ivy "overload" is what has Frank bothered. If, as was indicated, he is locked in thru 2011, that gives him very little room to maneuver in terms of scheduling his suddenly nationally ranked program vs. some of the bigger kids in I-AA.

As for the second class citizenship that is indicated by the "junior Ivy League" comment, Im sure it bothers Frank just as it bothers me, and P4L, and LFN, and Mr. 13, and.... True, the Ivy League schools are generally larger than Lafayette, have more revered libraries, and have higher SATs for incoming freshmen, but when it comes to Frank's area of expertise - football - the Ivies have lost whatever "superiority" they may have once claimed. Unfortunately, for us Pards, Lafayette has yet to make any kind of a statement to verify this "fact." Yo, Frank, are you listening?!!

carney2
August 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM
So does Tavani have any D-I aspirations or is he expected to end his career as a legend in Easton?

Frank Tavani is 53 and this is his first head coaching job. As assistant and head coach he has been at Lafayette for 20 years. He says that he plans to retire from his current position. At the moment there is no reason to doubt him on this.

cosmo here
August 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM

As it was already pointed out, he's in his 20th season at Lafayette this year (and has a contract through 2012) so he isn't going anywhere in the near future.

And as Ralph is sure to point out later, he already is a Division I coach. His only "D-I" aspirations are to win a national title.

Fordham
August 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
HA! I actually meant to put "does he have BS aspirations?"

Andy
August 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM
He and Bruce left no doubt they were less than happy with what Eve left them. My impression is that they would like a less difficult, not more difficult schedule. Coach was somewhat defensive, saying something to the effect that it's not the quality of the opponent, "Penn is a very strong program and we love scheduling them" and he likes playing Princeton. But, Eve was pretty much no friend of football and I believe the complaint IS that the schedule is too tough. Frank is not out to win any tough guy competition in terms of schedule difficulty. He said last year he has no interest in playing Delaware (regular season) and getting his kids beaten up, even for $50k. Now, $100k at Army is something else. Frank wants wins and he wants to win the league. IMO he could care less about alums being able to puff there chests about playing the big boys. I don't know if he's concerned with at-large bids in regards to scheduling. Rightly or wrongly, maybe, in the opinion of some. Anyway, that's my take. I'll be away from the computer for a few days, but I'd be interested in the opinions of some of our posters who are closer to Frank than I.

Pard94
August 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
As it was already pointed out, he's in his 20th season at Lafayette this year (and has a contract through 2012) so he isn't going anywhere in the near future.

And as Ralph is sure to point out later, he already is a Division I coach. His only "D-I" aspirations are to win a national title.

I think Tavani is here for the long term. That being said it would not surprise me if John Troxell comes back to assume the top spot for the Leopards someday. He grew up in P'burgh, played for the 92 championship team, was a successful asistant coach and recruiter, family still lives in the area...it's a no brainer. Unless of course he shoots for I-A...given his winning coaching record, that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Pard4Life
August 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM
He and Bruce left no doubt they were less than happy with what Eve left them. My impression is that they would like a less difficult, not more difficult schedule. Coach was somewhat defensive, saying something to the effect that it's not the quality of the opponent, "Penn is a very strong program and we love scheduling them" and he likes playing Princeton. But, Eve was pretty much no friend of football and I believe the complaint IS that the schedule is too tough. Frank is not out to win any tough guy competition in terms of schedule difficulty. He said last year he has no interest in playing Delaware (regular season) and getting his kids beaten up, even for $50k. Now, $100k at Army is something else. Frank wants wins and he wants to win the league. IMO he could care less about alums being able to puff there chests about playing the big boys. I don't know if he's concerned with at-large bids in regards to scheduling. Rightly or wrongly, maybe, in the opinion of some. Anyway, that's my take. I'll be away from the computer for a few days, but I'd be interested in the opinions of some of our posters who are closer to Frank than I.

I would much rather play Delaware than Army.. and I'm not worried about puffing my chest. Clearly it seems that getting money for the Army game is an issue. So he would like to see his kids get beat up for 100k? That doesn't make sense.. the point of the season is to not get beat up and be ready for the playoffs. We would likely get more beat up at I-A Army than Delaware.... if we get beat up by Delaware in the regular season, then Lafayette has a problem... it is unfit for postseason play. If you want to win in round one and beyond, you are going to have to get beaten down every game. Conditioning is also a factor, which seems the program is doing very well at doing. For an OOC I'd like to see three Ivys, one top notch team i.e. A10 or SoCon, and a softer program.. i.e. MAAC or NEC. But.. the NEC likely won't be 'soft' much longer.

cosmo here
August 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM
For an OOC I'd like to see three Ivys, one top notch team i.e. A10 or SoCon, and a softer program.. i.e. MAAC or NEC. But.. the NEC likely won't be 'soft' much longer.

You just described the schedule the last two years (Marist, Columbia, Princeton, Harvard and Richmond).

That's the same as this year's except for an extra Ivy League school instead of an A-10. But the four Ivy teams on the schedule are arguably their top four . .

I just don't know what all the noise is about and where these complaints are coming from.

LUHawker
August 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
For an OOC I'd like to see three Ivys, one top notch team i.e. A10 or SoCon, and a softer program.. i.e. MAAC or NEC. But.. the NEC likely won't be 'soft' much longer.

I think you just described Lehigh's schedule (and probably their scheduling philosophy) as well as Colgate's in most years. After LU got shafted from the playoffs in 2003 after losing only to undefeateds Colgate and Penn and I-A UConn, I suspect that LU AD Sterrett put the likely cabash on I-A games. Sounds like Tavani would like to mimic that set-up. Had Lafayette played Penn instead of Richmond last year, I don't think LC would have gotten an invite to the dance, which could be a potential problem in upcoming years if LC doesn't have the auto-bid.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I hope this doesn't mean Mercyhurst (LC played them in '88), C.W. Post, St. Peter's and Iona are going to find their way onto the schedule.

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM
You just described the schedule the last two years (Marist, Columbia, Princeton, Harvard and Richmond).

That's the same as this year's except for an extra Ivy League school instead of an A-10. But the four Ivy teams on the schedule are arguably their top four . .

I just don't know what all the noise is about and where these complaints are coming from.

Last year's schedule was a perfect set-up. This year would be if we dropped any Ivy and added an A10. I am not sure I see where the complaining is.. I guess it's just bad luck they are all top teams this year, although history and common sense tell us they likely won't be bad when this schedule was concocted. I do wish we would see more of Cornell, Brown, and Dartmouth. Cornell and Brown are traditionally not strong, but as luck would ahve it, Brown was good last year. Regardless, the point is that we should be able to handle this year's schedule no problem.

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I hope this doesn't mean Mercyhurst (LC played them in '88), C.W. Post, St. Peter's and Iona are going to find their way onto the schedule.

Although Tavani's tone could be interpreted a few ways, I sure hope he doesn't mean that sort of schedule! Playing a Marist or Iona once a year is ok, not twice will sacrificing an Ivy or A10. Winning the PL is the goal and being rested/healthy goes a long way.. but also having a worthy resume for an at-large and AQ seeding is also a priority. Being 11-0 with two wins over an Iona and Mercyhurst really don't look good.

cosmo here
August 5th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Although Tavani's tone could be interpreted a few ways, I sure hope he doesn't mean that sort of schedule! Playing a Marist or Iona once a year is ok, not twice will sacrificing an Ivy or A10. Winning the PL is the goal and being rested/healthy goes a long way.. but also having a worthy resume for an at-large and AQ seeding is also a priority. Being 11-0 with two wins over an Iona and Mercyhurst really don't look good.

this sort of conjecture is ludicrous.

the out-of-conference opponents for the next three years are set:

Monmouth
at Penn
Princeton
Columbia
at Harvard

at Monmouth
Marist
at Penn
Harvard
at Columbia

at Marist
Penn
at Yale
Columbia
at Harvard

by 2008, Monmouth will have three classes of scholarship players.

if the schedule is set through 2011 as Tavani says, expect a Marist/Monmouth type and three or four Ivy League schools for at least the next five years. don't let Go...Gate fool you into thinking we're playing Mercyhurst and Iona in 2012 :cool: