PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Zone's "Diamond in the Rough:" Keith Pough, OLB, Howard University

R.A.
October 15th, 2012, 12:41 PM
“There were several offers, LSU and Vanderbilt gave me a preferred walk on deal to come play for them, while other schools like Howard, Gardner Webb, and most of the MEAC were recruiting me to play linebacker. Both Norfolk State and North Carolina A&T wanted me to play tight end.”- Pough

One school who was interested in Keith, but was undecided to go with him or another linebacker named Scott Cooper was South Carolina State University, in Pough’s hometown of Orangeburg. Remember this is the same school that Pough’s mother Valarie attended, as well as several other family members. SCSU is a historically black college which has produced several NFL studs such as Deacon Jones and Harry Carson. Pough had a tough decision, and while others would have probably jumped on the opportunity to walk on to an LSU team, Pough took a different route.

“When I made my decision, it wasn’t about football it was about academics, and receiving a degree. I grew up dreaming about playing in the NFL and I knew I had a better chance to get an NFL offer at LSU as a walk on, but to me it was about a good education.” – Pough

Keith Pough was leaving the state of South Carolina because he chose Howard University the historical black college located in the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.

“Everyone would say they wanted to play for a big school, but I always wanted to play for a HBCU school. My Uncle, Mom, cousin all went to South Carolina State, an HBCU school. I remember them talking about the champagne dances, and the bands, so it was always something I wanted to do.” - Pough

Read the entire story at http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/diamond-in-the-rough-keith-pough-olb-howard-university/
---------------------------------
xbowxxthumbsupx

Looks like the National Media has taken notice.