North Dakota State 2-1 5-1
Youngstown State 1-2 4-2
Western Illinois 1-2 3-3
Missouri State 1-3 1-6
Northern Iowa 0-3 1-5
South Dakota 0-3 1-5

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 04:06 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121014/SPORTS0202/310140017/Jacks-rise-top-Valley?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Jacks rise to top of Valley
SDSU efficient in 31-10 win over Western Illinois

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

BROOKINGS — The theory that South Dakota State might emerge from a bye week – its first in-season break in four years – looking like a different team did not come to fruition.

Once again, the Jacks sputtered at times on offense, primarily in the pass game. And once again it just didn’t matter.

SDSU scored in all four quarters and in all three phases, got another productive effort from Zach Zenner – the leading rusher in NCAA Division I – and rode the defense to a 31-10 victory over Western Illinois before a crowd of 10,727 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Perfect or not, the Jacks (5-1, 3-0) pushed its win streak to eight games within the Football Championship Subdivision dating back to last season and grabbed sole possession of first place in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. The squad picked to finish sixth is leading the top-ranked league in the FCS six games into the season. . . . (read more)

frozennorth
October 14th, 2012, 05:01 AM
south dakota state will be damn close to my top5 this week

HandoEX
October 14th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Can I ask why so high?

Good for SDSU! I think the Jacks have a legit playoff shot. It really helps to avoid Illinois State this season. I think 2 conference losses is very realistic, which is a lock for the playoffs. Four losses may be a bit tough to draw a playoff spot, but certainly a coinflip.

It is absolutely crazy how many top defenses are in the Valley right now.

darell1976
October 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Nice to see the Jacks rise up to the top of the MVFC. Good luck to them the rest of the season, can't wait to see them against UND next year.

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Can I ask why so high?

Good for SDSU! I think the Jacks have a legit playoff shot. It really helps to avoid Illinois State this season. I think 2 conference losses is very realistic, which is a lock for the playoffs. Four losses may be a bit tough to draw a playoff spot, but certainly a coinflip.

It is absolutely crazy how many top defenses are in the Valley right now.

You know we are in 1st place in the Valley, our only loss this season was to a BCS team and we did beat Indiana State at their place 24-10. xthumbsupx

HandoEX
October 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You know we are in 1st place in the Valley, our only loss this season was to a BCS team and we did beat Indiana State at their place 24-10. ;) xthumbsupx

Yes, I am aware. The title of this thread kinda tipped me off.

It's really impressive, too. Congrats to Jackrabbit Nation, you've made the big time!!!
xsmileyclapx
xsmileyclapx
xsmileyclapx
I'd want nothing more than to see SDSU keep winning to make the Marker game the biggest yet.

No_Skill
October 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts. The last half of your schedule looks a bit tricky.

semobison
October 14th, 2012, 10:16 AM
SDSU is all alone atop the Missouri Valley! xrotatehx

http://www.valley-football.org/

South Dakota State 3-0 5-1
Illinois State 3-1 6-1
Indiana State 3-1 5-2
Southern Illinois 3-1 4-3
North Dakota State 2-1 5-1
Youngstown State 1-2 4-2
Western Illinois 1-2 3-3
Missouri State 1-3 1-6
Northern Iowa 0-3 1-5
South Dakota 0-3 1-5

Didnt see this at the beginning of the season! Bison have 3 of their last 4 games against teams currently in 1st or tied for 2nd in the conference! Gotta love Valley football!

SDFS
October 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM

I am pulling for the Jacks but I have to see them against better teams. They have one nice win on the road at ISU-b. Other than that very soft schedule so far. The schedule for SDSU is back loaded:

Current wins: SE Lousiania, UC Davis, Indiana St, Missouri St and W. Ill

Next Four: UNI, Youngstown St, S. Ill and NDSU

No_Skill
October 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I am pulling for the Jacks but I have to see them against better teams. They have one nice win on the road at ISU-b. Other than that very soft schedule so far. The schedule for SDSU is back loaded:

Current wins: SE Lousiania, UC Davis, Indiana St, Missouri St and W. Ill

Next Four: UNI, Youngstown St, S. Ill and NDSU

What do you expect from the last 4? I would say 2-2 is respectable.

...can't wait to see Zenner in person, btw.

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts. The last half of your schedule looks a bit tricky.

As does yours.

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Didnt see this at the beginning of the season! Bison have 3 of their last 4 games against teams currently in 1st or tied for 2nd in the conference! Gotta love Valley football!

This.

SDFS
October 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM

I think 2-2 is possible but 1-3 is mostly likely given that UNI, SIll and NDSU are all on the road. Youngstown is the only home game in those four. I do like Zenner, but SDSU success is because of both D/O lines.

Kegerator
October 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think 2-2 would be great, lets hope we get it. I feel pretty good about the standings at this point in the season considering the fact that we have a qb that's been struggling with a thumb injury, and have been missing some key linemen. We're healthier now, and historically the Jacks are stronger in he second half of the season than the first.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:11 PM

2-2 will be best case scenario, if you ask me... We haven't histically played well at UNI. I like that we have YSU at home on Hobo Day. At SIU will be tough, but I feel we are the better team. At NDSU is likely going to be a loss now that they've had a wake up call. We will, however, steamroll USD at home in the last game of the year!

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM

We have 5 left don't forget USD at Coughlin-Alumni. 3-2 is the worst case scenario in my opinion.

89rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
UNI has historically been very good. Are they the best 1-5 team without a D-I wins in the nation? For us to have a special season we need to go to the UNI Dome and get a W.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
UNI has historically been very good. Are they the best 1-5 team without a D-I wins in the nation? For us to have a special season we need to go to the UNI Dome and get a W.

Yes, they are. And I agree, a Win in Cedar Falls would be HUGE. I just think we're gonna have our hands full next Saturday, unfortunately.

Wilson16
October 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Good Luck to the Bunnies!

Houndawg
October 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
2-2 will be best case scenario, if you ask me... We haven't histically played well at UNI. I like that we have YSU at home on Hobo Day. At SIU will be tough, but I feel we are the better team. At NDSU is likely going to be a loss now that they've had a wake up call. We will, however, steamroll USD at home in the last game of the year!

So do ISU and UNI.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
So do ISU and UNI.

So did Indiana State... xcoffeex