6-Northeastern
SOUTH
1-James Madison (17)
2-Richmond (9)
3-DELAWARE (1)
4-William & Mary
5-Villanova
6-Towson

No real surprises here, but who picked Delaware #1 in the South?

89Hen
August 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
No real surprises here, but who picked Delaware #1 in the South?
I would have to guess MM since you can't pick your own team.

Cap'n Cat
August 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
WTF has happened at Delaware in 2 years?

:confused:

89Hen
August 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Eggs in one basket so to speak. :smiley_wi

Injuries were especially tough last year and we lost a couple more players already this year. Still a very young team, however, IMO they'll be just fine this year and will be odds on favorite in the A10 in 2007. :nod:

DTSpider
August 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM

MM was in the RTD saying he thought UR should be the favored team in the South.

How did they get to 27? Coaches & 1 writer per team gets you to 24. Does the A10 office have someone, does a team have more than one writer?

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Pre-season poll, Capy, the season's not nearly over yet. ;)

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
They include media that cover the A-10, and show up. More than one in Balt./DC and New York.

I would guess one of the media voted for the Hens.

henfan
August 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM

Looks like UD came in 3rd in the most 1st place votes received. Not too shabby.

In '03, UD came in 2nd in the most 1st place votes received behind Northeastern. As I recall, things worked out pretty well for the Blue Hens that season: http://www2.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2003/12/images/120603ud14.jpg

Message: don't get too excited about preseason polls. Results matter, Cappy.

Cap'n Cat
August 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Looks like UD came in 3rd in the most 1st place votes received. Not too shabby.

In '03, UD came in 2nd in the most 1st place votes received behind Northeastern. As I recall, things worked out pretty well for the Blue Hens that season:

Message: don't get too excited about preseason polls. Results matter, Cappy.

Like even reaching the playoffs. You're right!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

jmuroller
August 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM

Why would you think that MM would vote for UD?

TheTribeHasSpoken
August 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
I don't think anybody knows why MM does what he doesxlolx :rotateh: :nod: Go A-10!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ccd494
August 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
They include media that cover the A-10, and show up. More than one in Balt./DC and New York.

And I would be skeptical of any of the local Maine media outlets sending anyone down to this event.

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM

Kevin Tressoloni (the Hens' main beat writer) perhaps?

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
And I would be skeptical of any of the local Maine media outlets sending anyone down to this event.
If my memory serves me from my trip to the media day a couple of years ago, the A-10 does the voting before the event and releases it at the event.

Tribe4SF
August 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Kevin Tressoloni (the Hens' main beat writer) perhaps?

Or the Villanova beat writer. After all, there's more Hen fans in Philly than Wildcat fans anyway.:smiley_wi

bluehenbillk
August 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
Or the Villanova beat writer. After all, there's more Hen fans in Philly than Wildcat fans anyway.:smiley_wi

Actually in football season you're probably right.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Like even reaching the playoffs. You're right!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Where's the beef here, Capy? Seems to me UNI and UD have been pretty much identical in terms of making the playoffs over the recent history - both have made it 3 times since (and including) 2000. Both have made it twice since 2003 as well.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2006, 08:31 AM

Wait, there's a wildcat football fan from nova? Where?

Oh yeah, nova Sucks!

89Hen
August 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Well, he voted for either UR or UD so I have a 50/50 chance.

youwouldno
August 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Richmond seems awful high. Tutt WAS their offense, when it came down to it.

GtFllsGriz
August 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
I cannot comment on the poll but what jumped out at me as I reviewed the list is that the A10 has a wealth of tough teams. I think the A10 has got to be one of the most, if not the most, balanced conference in the nation in terms of producing different teams to national prominence.

As I look at the poll I notice most of teams inspire great respect in me for their past accomplishments. It must be a blast every year to see what teams are going to rise to the top.

89Hen
August 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Richmond seems awful high. Tutt WAS their offense, when it came down to it.
I think people like their D, but I'm not sold. UR has always had a good D, but never can manage to overcome an inept offense. Clawson is more offensive minded, but we saw what they did without Tutt under center last year in the first two games of the season (6 total points in two games). I expect UR to be 5-3 at best in the A10 this year and miss the playoffs. :twocents:

DTSpider
August 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
I think people like their D, but I'm not sold. UR has always had a good D, but never can manage to overcome an inept offense. Clawson is more offensive minded, but we saw what they did without Tutt under center last year in the first two games of the season (6 total points in two games). I expect UR to be 5-3 at best in the A10 this year and miss the playoffs. :twocents:

The first two games also featured an offensive line last year with sophomores & freshmen. As that group improved it made life much easier. Moving Hightower to running back helped as well. The young team around Tutt got a lot better as the year moved on.

We're hoping that Clawson's young guys at the skill positions can play well. It'll be a very young team on offense, so hopefully the defense can play well. After opening at Duke, we get VMI, Bucknell & Northeastern at home so that should help the confidence.

Compared to UD, W&M, Towson & Nova, I think that most people would say that UR has less question marks going into the season. I personally am not as worried about the QB as I am about the WR's. Last year we had way too many poor routes, drops, etc. If the young guys can produce than the QB will be able to make plays.

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
The first two games also featured an offensive line last year with sophomores & freshmen. As that group improved it made life much easier. Moving Hightower to running back helped as well. The young team around Tutt got a lot better as the year moved on.

We're hoping that Clawson's young guys at the skill positions can play well. It'll be a very young team on offense, so hopefully the defense can play well. After opening at Duke, we get VMI, Bucknell & Northeastern at home so that should help the confidence.

Compared to UD, W&M, Towson & Nova, I think that most people would say that UR has less question marks going into the season. I personally am not as worried about the QB as I am about the WR's. Last year we had way too many poor routes, drops, etc. If the young guys can produce than the QB will be able to make plays.

It may be fewer question marks but replacing Tutt is the biggest question mark in the conference. Everything went through him last year, and everything got better with him in the picture. So the big question is what happens without him. I think Richmond's pretty solid, but are they 9-2 solid or 7-4 solid? A two game difference isn't much but it's an important much.

Cap'n Cat
August 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Where's the beef here, Capy? Seems to me UNI and UD have been pretty much identical in terms of making the playoffs over the recent history - both have made it 3 times since (and including) 2000. Both have made it twice since 2003 as well.

No beef. Jez goofin', Ganny.

DTSpider
August 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
It may be fewer question marks but replacing Tutt is the biggest question mark in the conference. Everything went through him last year, and everything got better with him in the picture. So the big question is what happens without him. I think Richmond's pretty solid, but are they 9-2 solid or 7-4 solid? A two game difference isn't much but it's an important much.

I agree. Now we'll see if Clawson is as good at coaching QB's as we hope. He's got his guys he recruited and coached last year. They won't be Stacey Tutt, but hopefully they won't have to be either.

Honestly, I'll be happy with a 7-4 season. I'd love to be better, but with so many losing season, just being in the playoff race is all one can hope for.

blukeys
August 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM

There was a writer for the Philly Inquirer who gave UD very favorable writeups in the Raymond era. His name escapes me right now.

The problem for Philly sports writers is that the one alleged I-A team they have is Temple. If you aren't sent to Happy Valley on Saturday your pickings get slim. UD looks a lot better when compared against the other local alternatives.