PDA

View Full Version : Griz/Hawks

JoeNeck90
August 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
I'm surrounded by Hawkeye fans here. The other day, I began telling my brother, a big Iowa fan, that Montana looks tough. He quickly interjected and said 49 to nuthin' without even hearing what I had to say. Typical response :bow: . So I got mad because I follow 1-AA and bet him a case of beer, any kind, that the Griz would put up at least 21 points. I figured Hilliard(or Bradshaw) is good for a score or two and add one from Chambers. Now, I'm thinking that 14 pts. is more realistic. I hadn't done my research on Iowa because I don't care and I knew they had lost some talent so I figured they would be down a bit, by 1-A standards. I've since found out that they are projected to be better than I thought. I should have known better because Ferentz had some good classes after Brad Banks left and then Gallery. Do any of the Griz fans out there think I'll lose this bet? I'll probably be involved in some similar bets such as, SIU/Indiana, UNI/Iowa State, ILST/KSU, one or two of these might have a shot to win but I'm safer to ask for points and last but not least YSU/Penn State. xlolx

By the way, I was reading a board some time ago, possibly a Griz board, on the comparisons of playing in Kinnick and Wasington Griz Stadiums. Several WIU players have said that it was tougher to hear at Montana in 2003 than at Death Valley.

DuckDuckGriz
August 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Pretty cool! One things for sure, the Griz will be fired up about this one! Bringing alot of fans!!

DaGriz
August 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Do any of the Griz fans out there think I'll lose this bet?

Good thing you only bet one case of beer. I think if we score 21 points it will be because it's early in the year and Iowa hasn't had a chance to gel yet. If they scored 49 that wouldn't suprise me either, and I think we have a great team this year.

GeauxColonels
August 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm surrounded by Hawkeye fans here. The other day, I began telling my brother, a big Iowa fan, that Montana looks tough. He quickly interjected and said 49 to nuthin' without even hearing what I had to say. Typical response :bow: . So I got mad because I follow 1-AA and bet him a case of beer, any kind, that the Griz would put up at least 21 points. I figured Hilliard(or Bradshaw) is good for a score or two and add one from Chambers. Now, I'm thinking that 14 pts. is more realistic. I hadn't done my research on Iowa because I don't care and I knew they had lost some talent so I figured they would be down a bit, by 1-A standards. I've since found out that they are projected to be better than I thought. I should have known better because Ferentz had some good classes after Brad Banks left and then Gallery. Do any of the Griz fans out there think I'll lose this bet? I'll probably be involved in some similar bets such as, SIU/Indiana, UNI/Iowa State, ILST/KSU, one or two of these might have a shot to win but I'm safer to ask for points and last but not least YSU/Penn State. xlolx

By the way, I was reading a board some time ago, possibly a Griz board, on the comparisons of playing in Kinnick and Wasington Griz Stadiums. Several WIU players have said that it was tougher to hear at Montana in 2003 than at Death Valley.
If those Hoosiers haven't learned their lesson about the toughness of I-AA football after last year's Nicholls State game, they NEVER will and DESERVE a I-AA smack-down. The Colonels had them on the ropes, leading after 3qtrs and deep into the 4th wit the ball inside the IU 20. They got lucky and one of the Nicholls State running backs fumbled. :bang: They drove down field and scored with little time left only because they had a REALLY tall receiver and they would just throw the ball up for grabs.

Nicholls State ran for 408 yards in that game, passed for somewhere around 50 (which is usual for our offense against anyone - we may throw the ball 15 total in a game) and outgained them. All of this, right after hurricanes Katrina & Rita...Nicholls had yet to play a down and practiced little in the weeks leading up to the game. I can only imagine how they would have done had they had a few games under their belt. :(

bluehenbillk
August 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Iowa is loaded this year, it could be an ugly day for 1-AA in Iowa City.

Reed Rothchild
August 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM

I think the Griz can put up 21 on the Hawkeyes. They are losing 2 all-american linebackers and their secondary will be suspect. If Montana can throw the ball and not turn it over, they will put up some numbers. Last year, Sanders put up 280 yds and UNI moved the ball on Iowa with not too much difficulty. That was with 1 int that went back the other way for a TD for UI. It all depends on if Montana's oline can block the guys that Iowa is returning on DLine. They weren't too good at the beginning of the year last year, but their young dline played very well at the end of the season. Iowa classically does not play as well at the beginning of the season but get better as they hit the weak Big11 schedule. You made a good bet my leatherneck friend.

I've been to Kinnick and played at WA-Griz and it was much tougher to hear at Montana. At Kinnick, there are a lot of people who cheer loudly for their team, but they are not as close to the action and packed in there like Griz fans. I don't recall the guys having the same problems communicating before the play at Kinnick that they did when we were at Montana. Fans at WA-Griz scream their heads off the entire game. Before, during, and after plays.

Reed Rothchild
August 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Iowa is loaded this year, it could be an ugly day for 1-AA in Iowa City.

Iowa was "loaded" last year and went 7-5 and UNI put 3 tds on the board against them.

putter
August 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
The Griz put up 14 on Oregon with nooffense so if Swogger is the real deal I think 21 is very possible. I would have made your bet

Cap'n Cat
August 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Iowa 40
Montana 10

Just a guess.

catbob
August 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Iowa is traditionally (is that spelled right?? one of those days...) a very slow starting team. Griz are usually the opposite, so if there is any time that the Griz could hang 21 on the Hawks, it'd be the first game.

igo4uni
August 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm surrounded by Hawkeye fans here.

Me too.xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

They blindly follow their precious Hawks and it just makes me sick.

As mentioned in previous posts, UNI put up 21 last year against Iowa. I think you made a good bet.

By the way, I will be rooting for Montana 10000000% in this game. I would just love to hear all those Hawkeye fans making excuses.

Beating Iowa is even better than beating Iowa State. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Chi Panther
August 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know how much Albert Young will play....but this kid is the REAL deal.

Obvoius comment...but I think this game is only close if Ferentz limits his carries.

If Young would have over 20 carries....he will have 3 TDs. Last year he had 13 carries for 97yds and 2 TDs against UNI.

This guy is top priority...
http://iowa.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=3354

I'll be cheering for the GRIZ!!!!!:hurray:

Reed Rothchild
August 2nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
Its not too hard to make bets like this with Hawkeye fans. They are worse than Nebraska fans and always think their team is better than it really is. They also seem to think that people throughout the nation actually care about their team and don't get it when they don't the pub they think they deserve.

PantherRob82
August 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
The best is Iowa fans and basketball. They don't pay attention unless they start off great and beat some big teams. Then they follow them until they lose a few. then they complain that they weren't that good and won't follow them the next year.

crunifan
August 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Apparently Iowa is picked 3rd in the Big Ten, behind Michigan and Ohio State, so maybe they are better than I expected this year. Either way, I think it will be close whether you have to pay up. The Griz definitely have what it takes to score 21, but let's see if they play up to that.

igo4uni
August 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Reed, Panther Rob, CR.........nice to see you boys here on AGS..........come back more often. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I try to do the best I can at defending UNI. Cap'n spends more time in the AGS lounge than here, and D1B only posts when he's drinking!!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :cool: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
The Griz put up 14 on Oregon with nooffense so if Swogger is the real deal I think 21 is very possible. I would have made your bet

I don't think there's any if's about it.

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Me too.xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

As mentioned in previous posts, UNI put up 21 last year against Iowa. I think you made a good bet.

By the way, I will be rooting for Montana 10000000% in this game. I would just love to hear all those Hawkeye fans making excuses.

Beating Iowa is even better than beating Iowa State. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I guess I'm not the only one that has noticed it about their fans. There seems to be more of them coming out the past couple of years. I think the UNI/Iowa game was in my mind when I made it. Last year I didn't even know who Sanders was at that time otherwise I would have been making little wagers all over the place.

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
I don't know how much Albert Young will play....but this kid is the REAL deal.

Obvoius comment...but I think this game is only close if Ferentz limits his carries.

If Young would have over 20 carries....he will have 3 TDs. Last year he had 13 carries for 97yds and 2 TDs against UNI.

This guy is top priority...
http://iowa.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=3354

I'll be cheering for the GRIZ!!!!!:hurray:

If he has over 20 carries, the Griz will have put up some points.

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:42 AM
In response to GeauxColonels. Any Gateway historians know? Does the Gateway have a win against the Big Ten?

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:55 AM
Well from what I'm gathering here, it could be a high scoring game. I don't know anything about Montana's defense but I'm pretty sure that UNI's wasn't on track yet at that time.
Cap'n's prediction is most often how these match-ups turn out when you're playing a top 25 team regardless of how good the 1-AA team is. Win or lose, I will be in Wisconsin and Leinenkugel's should have fresh batches of the seasonal Oktoberfest on shelves. So I will be happy.

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Pretty cool! One things for sure, the Griz will be fired up about this one! Bringing alot of fans!!

You guys will have fun. Hate to say it, but Iowa City is a blast on gameday.

GtFllsGriz
August 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
I have to agree with Putter. The Oregon game was ugly because we had NO offense. If our offense plays anywhere near where their potential indicates; we should put up 21 points. I think it was a good bet.

GoGuins
August 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
In response to GeauxColonels. Any Gateway historians know? Does the Gateway have a win against the Big Ten?

They will this year when YSU beats Penn State....just kidding!

No offense Griz fans, but Iowa is projected as a top 3 team in the B10 so I look for a 30+ point blowout. Same for YSU against PSU

grizbeer
August 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
November 5th 1898 - Northern Iowa 11, Iowa 5.
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/gateway/northern_iowa/opponents_records.php?teamid=1532

Cap'n Cat
August 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

Not yet.

crunifan
August 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
You guys will have fun. Hate to say it, but Iowa City is a blast on gameday.

Yeah, as tough as it is to admit, Iowa City and Hawkeye fans know how to tailgate better than any other city in the nation. The entire city of Iowa City turns into one giant tailgate.

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Iowa 40
Montana 10

Just a guess.

Cap'n
Hows about an early YSU/PSU prediction?

JoeNeck90
August 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, as tough as it is to admit, Iowa City and Hawkeye fans know how to tailgate better than any other city in the nation. The entire city of Iowa City turns into one giant tailgate.

I think The Sporting News or some similar publication tabbed Iowa City as the best college football city in America.

crunifan
August 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I think The Sporting News or some similar publication tabbed Iowa City as the best college football city in America.

Yeah, I read something like that in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Doesn't surprise me, I haven't ever seen anything come close to Iowa City on game day, the energy is amazing.

Tod
August 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
One thing also to consider is that if this game is a huge blowout, The Griz may get some garbage points in the end.

:twocents:

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Iowa is going to be very good this year. Yeah they lost Hodge and Greenway but they return just about everyone else including their OL and DL. Last year the struggled early because of inexperience along the lines, replacing LB's will be a lot easier even as good as those two were. My guess is 45-20 or there abouts. As for PSU-YSU, 52-7, i don't see anyway YSU moves the ball on the Lions.

Pantherpower
August 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Iowa is going to be very good this year. Yeah they lost Hodge and Greenway but they return just about everyone else including their OL and DL. Last year the struggled early because of inexperience along the lines, replacing LB's will be a lot easier even as good as those two were. My guess is 45-20 or there abouts. As for PSU-YSU, 52-7, i don't see anyway YSU moves the ball on the Lions.

I agree. YSU is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY overrated this year. xcoffeex

GoGuins
August 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I agree. YSU is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY overrated this year. xcoffeex

As is UNI IMO. YSU has 17 starters back from an 8-3 team. UNI has their QB back but lost many at key positions. The only reason they were selected to win the GFC this year is because they are coming off a I-AA title appearance. YSU had the most GFC player selections of any team in the conference showing that they should be a force this year. But that's why they play the games.

carney2
August 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
49 - 0 is a little extreme. A non-competitive Griz bashing is what my crystal ball says, however.

wannabegaucho
August 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM
They don't play defense in the Pacific Ten Conference.

I hate to say it, but Iowa is dangerous this year, especially since I'm not buying Tressel and tOSU any more than I would buy Lloyd Carr.

cu@wgs
August 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I've been to Kinnick and played at WA-Griz and it was much tougher to hear at Montana. At Kinnick, there are a lot of people who cheer loudly for their team, but they are not as close to the action and packed in there like Griz fans. I don't recall the guys having the same problems communicating before the play at Kinnick that they did when we were at Montana. Fans at WA-Griz scream their heads off the entire game. Before, during, and after plays.

appreciate the props. Here a Wa-Griz its become more about pride and being loud. The best part is that the crowd, for the most part is smart and really brings the noise at just the right times.

Mountain Panther
August 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
The only reason they were selected to win the GFC this year is because they are coming off a I-AA title appearance.

That statement is false and you know it. Our O-Line and D-Backs are seasoned, and we've re-loaded at the other positions.

But I thought this thread is called Griz/Hawks????:confused: :confused:

HI54UNI
August 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth IGO.

My wife is one of those xidiotx Hawk fans. :D

PantherRob82
August 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
As is UNI IMO. YSU has 17 starters back from an 8-3 team. UNI has their QB back but lost many at key positions. The only reason they were selected to win the GFC this year is because they are coming off a I-AA title appearance. YSU had the most GFC player selections of any team in the conference showing that they should be a force this year. But that's why they play the games.

We'll see on Oct 21st. We have a better O Line and better backfield than last year. Sanders is very proficient and spreads the ball around. UNI has always reloaded WRs.

AZGrizFan
August 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Soooooo, what AGS'ers are making the trip to Iowa City? I'm trying to round up tickets/room/transportation at a relatively reasonable price....love to tip one or two (or 20) with anybody making the trip! :nod: :nod:

Mountain Panther
August 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Soooooo, what AGS'ers are making the trip to Iowa City? I'm trying to round up tickets/room/transportation at a relatively reasonable price....love to tip one or two (or 20) with anybody making the trip! :nod: :nod:

If you're going to IC I recommend you make time for two things:

1. Show up with plenty of time to experience a Big Ten tailgate before the game.

2. Try to walk around the "Ped Mall" afterward and duck into a sports bar to check out other games on TV.