PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 8.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I was 3-1 today (Chattanooga take a bow for taking down Furman at their house). With the loss, Furman is eliminated from playoff discussion. This is where I have it as of this week.

1) Georgia Southern (2 of 5) - Picks up another win at home against one of the SoCon's best.
2) Appalachian State (2 of 4) - Picks up a road win against a feisty Samford team.
3) Wofford (3 of 5) - tough loss on the road vs. GSU
4) Samford (3 of 4) - had nothing to be ashamed of vs. ASU
5) Chattanooga (4 of 5) - returns to the field and comes away a winner
6) The Citadel (3 of 4) - finds a way to win against an improved WCU team
7) Furman (out) - once figured to be a power broker this year will be on the outside looking in
8) Elon (out) - enjoying a vacation from the action
9) Western Carolina (out) - had a surprisingly good effort vs. The Citadel

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman - Eagles soar in this one
Western Carolina @ Elon - Elon wins this one in what could be the Catamounts' last best chance to win a SoCon game
Samford @ Chattanooga - Mocs come away with a win at home
Wofford @ Appalachian State (Game of the week) - ASU is feeding off some momentum with another home win.

GATA_Eagles
October 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM
1) Georgia Southern - Great performance against Wofford. Road to the SoCon title goes through Statesboro and will probably decided on November 3rd.
2) Wofford - Lost tonight but I have no doubt they are the #2 team in the SoCon.
3) Appalachian State - Last second touchdown to win on the road. Still a tough team.
4) Samford - Strong performance vs App - just wasn't able to put it away.
5) Chattanooga - Starting to click as a team.
6) The Citadel - Struggled at home against a not-so-great Western team.
7) Elon - Enjoyed the privilege of a bye week
8) Furman - Lost big at home against Chatty. Wish I could make the trip this weekend
9) Western Carolina - Improving every week. You guys will get there soon.

Georgia Southern @ Furman
Western Carolina @ Elon
Samford @ Chattanooga
Wofford @ Appalachian State

-- Week of the away team (minus Western)

Mountaineer#96
October 14th, 2012, 07:13 AM
1) Georgia Southern - On top for time being, great win vs. WC
2) Wofford - Still hanging tough, this may change after a trip to Boone
3) Appalachian State - At #3 until above team visits
4) Samford - Played hard, just didn't have enough left at home
5) Chattanooga - Who are these people?
6) The Citadel - Edged it out against WCU for another W.
7) Furman - DONE, Who are these people?
8) Elon - DONER
9) Western Carolina - Yuck

Georgia Southern @ Furman (37 - 14)
Western Carolina @ Elon (28 - 27)
Samford @ Chattanooga (34 - 31)
Wofford @ Appalachian State (34 - 32) xnodx

woffordgrad94
October 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
1. GSU- loss to Citadel a distant memory; really shut down EB and vaunted Wofford option attack
2. Wofford- needs to win Saturday to still have a shot a title and national playoff seed
3. ASU- ditto
4. Samford- played ASU very tough only to lose in heartbreaking fashion
5. Chatty- great road win at Furman
6. Furman- going through the ups and downs (mostly downs) of having a freshman QB
7. The Citadel- had some struggles against WCU but pulled out the win
8. Elon- nothing to say here
9. Western Carolina- still in the cellar

GSU 38, Furman 17
Wofford 31, ASU 24 (great game)
Samford 24, Chatty 21 (an overlooked great game)
WCU upsets Elon 31-28!

OL FU
October 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I don't think at this time I would put us ahead of Elon simply because they pass the ball which is not good for us.

The Citadel should be an interesting game in Gvill since they run the ball but they also have to be ahead of us. They did beat GSU and ASU.

It is a long season and while I was expecting a long season I was anticipating it being this long.

atlfcsfan
October 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
1 Ga Southern - now has the inside track to conference championship
2 Wofford - still not out of it, conf championship elimiation game this week vs App
3 App State - dramatic come back, can they slow down the ground attack of Woffy?
4 Samford - devastating loss this week. will they recover?
5 Chatty - two impressive road victories in a row.
6 Citadel - back on the winnng track
7 Furman - disappointed loss to Chatty
8 Elon - irrelevant
9 W Carolina - played Citadel tough for wild, still got a ways to go

Wofford 31 App State 38 (A shootout i think)
Samford 14 Chatty 21 ( Samford will still be hung over for stunning loss)
GSU 24 Furman 17 (Furman gives the Eagles a battle)
W Car 14 Elon 30 (Elon gets a much needed win)

Mountaineer#96
October 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
1 Ga Southern - now has the inside track to conference championship
2 Wofford - still not out of it, conf championship elimiation game this week vs App
3 App State - dramatic come back, can they slow down the ground attack of Woffy?
4 Samford - devastating loss this week. will they recover?
5 Chatty - two impressive road victories in a row.
6 Citadel - back on the winnng track
7 Furman - disappointed loss to Chatty
8 Elon - irrelevant
9 W Carolina - played Citadel tough for wild, still got a ways to go

Wofford 31 App State 38 (A shootout i think)
Samford 14 Chatty 21 ( Samford will still be hung over for stunning loss)
GSU 24 Furman 17 (Furman gives the Eagles a battle)
W Car 14 Elon 30 (Elon gets a much needed win)

Agree with you on the App State vs WC pick. At KBS the Apps have owned the Terriers in recent memory.

AppStsGr8
October 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not super excited about the Mountaineers having to face Wofford with Wofford coming off the loss at GaSo. I am glad that the game is in Boone instead of Sparklecity. Through yesterday:

1 - GaSo
2 - 5 - Wofford, App, Samford, Chattanooga
6 - 7 - It doesn't much matter now
8 - Western

Next week???? Man, I love this game!

kdinva
October 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Georgia Southern 34 @ Furman 16
Western Carolina 28 @ Elon 33
Samford 27 @ Chattanooga 25
Wofford 28 @ Appalachian State 31

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I know that GSU hasn't had much problem scoring on Furman in the past couple of years, but I think they will be more comfortable defending a more "traditional" GSU option QB like McKinnon than Jaybo. I expect a low-scoring game where turnovers and special teams will be the difference. This game will be very much like the Johnson vs. Johnson games of old.

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I haven't played this 'game' this year, for a couple of reasons ... mostly because I didn't have a real great read on a few of the teams in the conference due to some early season upsets. That said, this last week played out pretty much as I expected, especially in the GSU-Wofford game. Having watched GSU football for nearly 30 years, it is sort of funny how a team's identity can be so similar to a past edition of the team you follow ... the more I watch my Eagles this year the more they remind me of the 1997 squad .... a very good defense with an average offense. The difference this year is the offense has the potential to get much better ....

1) Georgia Southern - Held the SoCon's #1 scoring offense to just 1/5th of their average production, huge game for GSU defense
2) Appalachian State - Gutsy last second road win puts them here (marginally) over Wofford, pending next Saturday showdown
3) Wofford - Terriers are wondering what could have been, but couldn't put the ball in the endzone vs. the Eagles
4) Chattanooga - Resurgence has them moving up and being positioned to be at worst, a spoiler in the conference.
5) Samford - The bubble begins to burst
6) Citadel - Consistency eludes the Bulldogs, and each week will be a flip of the coin
7) Elon - Like GSU earlier in the season, 2 weeks off after a loss will fire up the Phoenix
8) Western Carolina - Okay, yes they could be last but I think Speir has already improved the Catamounts, despite the W-L ledger
9) Furman - WCU would be last here, but the Paladins second half collapse vs. UTC cements in my mind they deserve the cellar this week

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman - Eagles score fewer than expected, manage to maintain advantage in SoCon race
Western Carolina @ Elon - Elon stomps WCU
Samford @ Chattanooga - Mocs continue to build momentum for GSU matchup in 2 weeks
Wofford @ Appalachian State (Game of the week) - ASU wins a high scoring, close game in comeback fashion

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I would like to thank the majority of people for not picking Chattanooga to win each week. They don't seem to handle success well, so I would rather them be an underdog each week. Please, no top 25 votes either (not that a 3-3 team should really be getting any) :)

Reign of Terrier
October 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Don't fall asleep on Wofford's defense. They may just be the best part of the team so far. They may not have dominated an entire game of football quite yet, but then again we never do, but what we have done is play sufficiently well for long stretches of time. For the first few games, we didn't allow first half points, against Elon we got the stops we needed to control the game, against Furman we held them to 3 points in the second half, and even though we lost against GSU, we held them to like 17 points of offense, which is really good considering how well their offense which has made steady improvement over the last few weeks.

gsu_paintballer
October 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Dominated is obviously a strong word, but I'd say they played a great game against GSU.

appstate38
October 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Glad to see the usual suspects back to the top of the conf. standings. These 3 teams will be tough to deal with come playoff time. Setting up some great battles in the final weeks

OL FU
October 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I haven't played this 'game' this year, for a couple of reasons ... mostly because I didn't have a real great read on a few of the teams in the conference due to some early season upsets. That said, this last week played out pretty much as I expected, especially in the GSU-Wofford game. Having watched GSU football for nearly 30 years, it is sort of funny how a team's identity can be so similar to a past edition of the team you follow ... the more I watch my Eagles this year the more they remind me of the 1997 squad .... a very good defense with an average offense. The difference this year is the offense has the potential to get much better ....

1) Georgia Southern - Held the SoCon's #1 scoring offense to just 1/5th of their average production, huge game for GSU defense
2) Appalachian State - Gutsy last second road win puts them here (marginally) over Wofford, pending next Saturday showdown
3) Wofford - Terriers are wondering what could have been, but couldn't put the ball in the endzone vs. the Eagles
4) Chattanooga - Resurgence has them moving up and being positioned to be at worst, a spoiler in the conference.
5) Samford - The bubble begins to burst
6) Citadel - Consistency eludes the Bulldogs, and each week will be a flip of the coin
7) Elon - Like GSU earlier in the season, 2 weeks off after a loss will fire up the Phoenix
8) Western Carolina - Okay, yes they could be last but I think Speir has already improved the Catamounts, despite the W-L ledger
9) Furman - WCU would be last here, but the Paladins second half collapse vs. UTC cements in my mind they deserve the cellar this week

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman - Eagles score fewer than expected, manage to maintain advantage in SoCon race
Western Carolina @ Elon - Elon stomps WCU
Samford @ Chattanooga - Mocs continue to build momentum for GSU matchup in 2 weeks
Wofford @ Appalachian State (Game of the week) - ASU wins a high scoring, close game in comeback fashion

I don't usually give a crap about this but Furman beat WCU and it wasn't close, so while 8 and 9 doesn't matter, that is bullxrolleyesx

OK so I am in a bad mood but at least pay attention

woffordgrad94
October 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have to agree with OL FU here.

theasushow
October 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Yep. Western can't leave the basement until they atleast win one single SOCON game.

OL FU
October 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I have to agree with OL FU here.

Honestly, if you are 6 or below it doesn't really matter and obvioulsy we are at this point. I am a long time fan so I even after the last 5 or 6 years I am not used to being irrevelant. But geez, if you think anybody other than WCU is last at this point, well you have not been paying attention to the irrelevant teams:oxlolxxblehx

woffordgrad94
October 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Furman is waaaaaaaaaay better than the Can't amounts. Both teams played at Wofford, so I have a good pulse on both teams.

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I don't usually give a crap about this but Furman beat WCU and it wasn't close, so while 8 and 9 doesn't matter, that is bullxrolleyesx

OK so I am in a bad mood but at least pay attention

Don't get your purple panties in a bunch ;)

All I see at the bottom is purple. Shades of bad don't matter. Hope you guys lose one more week then win out ...

Better ? :)

OL FU
October 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Don't get your purple panties in a bunch ;)

All I see at the bottom is purple. Shades of bad don't matter. Hope you guys lose one more week then win out ...

Better ? :)

My panties aren't in a bunch. but your powers of observation are lacking:p

Just thought I would let you know that someone paid attention to your errorxsmiley_wix

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Furman is waaaaaaaaaay better than the Can't amounts. Both teams played at Wofford, so I have a good pulse on both teams.

I agree. If you read the comments, I'm just sticking it to the Furman folks a little bit ... and giving WCU a little bit of love. So what if Furman beat WCU head-to-head .... Citadel beat GSU head-to-head and most aren't putting El Cid at the top of the power poll rankings ....

Just enjoying the start of the GSU-hate-Furman-and-everything-purple week ;)

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM
My panties aren't in a bunch. but your powers of observation are lacking:p

Just thought I would let you know that someone paid attention to your errorxsmiley_wix

It was intentional ... but I will confess I really didn't think too many folks would take it to heart. Mea culpa ... I'll consider those tender feelings going forward ;)

OL FU
October 14th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I agree. If you read the comments, I'm just sticking it to the Furman folks a little bit ... and giving WCU a little bit of love. So what if Furman beat WCU head-to-head .... Citadel beat GSU head-to-head and most aren't putting El Cid at the top of the power poll rankings ....

Just enjoying the start of the GSU-hate-Furman-and-everything-purple week ;)

FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides that the last thing I want to do is argue that we aren't last:o

Geez, it had better get betterxsmugx

eaglesrback
October 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
1. GSU- loss to Citadel a distant memory; really shut down EB and vaunted Wofford option attack
2. Wofford- needs to win Saturday to still have a shot a title and national playoff seed
3. ASU- ditto
4. Samford- played ASU very tough only to lose in heartbreaking fashion
5. Chatty- great road win at Furman
6. Furman- going through the ups and downs (mostly downs) of having a freshman QB
7. The Citadel- had some struggles against WCU but pulled out the win
8. Elon- nothing to say here
9. Western Carolina- still in the cellar

GSU 38, Furman 17
Wofford 31, ASU 24 (great game)
Samford 24, Chatty 21 (an overlooked great game)
WCU upsets Elon 31-28!

I agree w/u 1 thru 9. Great ballgame to see last nite in the Boro. Us Eagles have a lot of respect for you and your fans.Class bunch. We came out last night and took care of business, but I HOPE we dont see you again til next year.

OL FU
October 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM
It was intentional ... but I will confess I really didn't think too many folks would take it to heart. Mea culpa ... I'll consider those tender feelings going forward ;)

Thank you. My sensitivity is heighten by the *** whoopin' we took last saturday:(:p

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I realize this is going to sound ridiculous given Saturday's events, but I don't see how UTC expects long term success running the offense they are running.

UTC has some spectacular athletes at the skill positions - a nice looking tightend and a small scat back with speed to complement Robinson and Husemann. Still, that was as gimmicky an offense as I can remember seeing at the FCS level. Several times, it appeared almost too "cute" to be effective, allowing drives to stall based not on a poor play, but too much going on. I say this with full knowledge that they put up 31 points against Furman, though most of that came against an obviously gassed defense who spent what felt like 90% of the game on the field because our offense could not sustain a drive of more than 7 yards (that's another story).

If I am Huseman, I put my son at quarterback and Robinson at receiver. From now until they graduate. Forever. Robinson has the opportunity to perhaps be the best WR in the SoCon. UTC's coaches seem so concerned with giving defenses "different looks" that they are reluctant to let him get sufficient work in at either position to be a really good football player. There were several passes Robinson threw on Saturday where there wasn't a Moc receiver in the same zip code. UTC will win games if they stick Robinson on the outside and leave him there.

I don't think this is really rocket science either. I would wager that you could fill the Titanic with great college wide receivers who also played quarterback (Heck, Furman's got two or three converts). So, it is nothing special to have a receiver who can throw (particularly one who can throw and has trouble hitting his own players). Every team has that. UTC will be dangerous if they just get rid of this bizarre two QB system and just let Huseman throw to Robinson. There is hay to be made there, IMO, if UTC's coaches can get out of their own way.

This is not to take anything away from the Mocs, because they really put it to us. Just seems like their offense has a lot of potential, and they are just making things way too difficult out there. Just my two cents.

Smitty
October 15th, 2012, 07:12 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Samford
5) Chattanooga
6) The Citadel
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman
Western Carolina @ Elon
Samford @ Chattanooga
Wofford @ Appalachian State

Eaglesrus
October 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM
...............Still, that was as gimmicky an offense as I can remember seeing at the FCS level.............

Glad to see that there's hope for someone taking that title away from us!!! I'm sure Chattown will be thrilled, as well.

Apphole
October 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
1. The Stink (Back on top)
2. App State (Epic final drive to get the tough W on the road. Showed what champions are made of yet again)
3. Ankle Biters (As I expected, an early season full of busch league competition left them too soft to compete with one of the better teams in the league)
4. Lil Sammy (Most annoying, amateurish announcers of all time. Team played hard, but couldn't win their super bowl)
5. Shatty (Surprising me. Didn't seem like a good team when I watched App blow them out, but maybe they have something going after all. Still would be very surprised to see them make the playoffs)
6. El Cid (What happened? How do you beat the SoCon's top two teams and then suck for the heart of the season? They need to turn it around ASAP)
7. The fElons (Always a passing threat with Mellete, but I wouldn't see Elon as much of a threat if I were another team. Sure they play good ball against App, but Elon's season is always about beating App and nothing else. That's why they can keep it close for that particular game while still being a pretty sorry squad all around)
8. Furple (Done-skii. Does the heart well to see the purple of the conference in the cellar. See you for a vengeful black Saturday. It might get real ugly)
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts (fart noise. Move to the Big South)

Georgia Southern @ Furman 34-21 Stink bests Furple in a close one. If the Stink sleeps on them, it could get interesting. Coming off a big win against Wofford, they need to stay focused.
Western Carolina @ Elon 35-17 Elon can close their eyes and pretend they're beating another mountain school.
Samford @ Chattanooga 28-13 Nooga's luck runs out against an angry Sammy team.
Wofford @ Appalachian State 54-38 Another classic showdown. Jamal has a career day and FINALLY doesn't throw a pic in a game. Wofford's O moves at will at first, but after adjucments, the App D makes some stops. This will be a high scoring affair.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
1. The Stink (Back on top)
2. App State (Epic final drive to get the tough W on the road. Showed what champions are made of yet again)
3. Ankle Biters (As I expected, an early season full of busch league competition left them too soft to compete with one of the better teams in the league)
4. Lil Sammy (Most annoying, amateurish announcers of all time. Team played hard, but couldn't win their super bowl)
5. Shatty (Surprising me. Didn't seem like a good team when I watched App blow them out, but maybe they have something going after all. Still would be very surprised to see them make the playoffs)
6. El Cid (What happened? How do you beat the SoCon's top two teams and then suck for the heart of the season? They need to turn it around ASAP)
7. The fElons (Always a passing threat with Mellete, but I wouldn't see Elon as much of a threat if I were another team. Sure they play good ball against App, but Elon's season is always about beating App and nothing else. That's why they can keep it close for that particular game while still being a pretty sorry squad all around)
8. Furple (Done-skii. Does the heart well to see the purple of the conference in the cellar. See you for a vengeful black Saturday. It might get real ugly)
9. The Worstin Carolina Can'tAmounts (fart noise. Move to the Big South)

Georgia Southern @ Furman 34-21 Stink bests Furple in a close one. If the Stink sleeps on them, it could get interesting. Coming off a big win against Wofford, they need to stay focused.
Western Carolina @ Elon 35-17 Elon can close their eyes and pretend they're beating another mountain school.
Samford @ Chattanooga 28-13 Nooga's luck runs out against an angry Sammy team.
Wofford @ Appalachian State 54-38 Another classic showdown. Jamal has a career day and FINALLY doesn't throw a pic in a game. Wofford's O moves at will at first, but after adjucments, the App D makes some stops. This will be a high scoring affair.

I hope so, if it is a high scoring game then I think we win because I don't think a ball control team can match us in a shootout. JJ and company need to come out firing and hopefully Satterfield will have some tricks in store for the short-haired dogs. A win here and I'm confident that we get a playoff bid and it will give us momentum going into GSU with the conference title on the line.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I said this once and I will say it again. If wofford scores 30+ it's very unlikely that the other team scores 40 plus. That's not because of our defense. It's because of the way we play offense. If we score in the high 30s, chances are we're doing a rather good job at TOP. With this defense, I don't see us getting into shootouts with anybody.

I can only think of one or two instances in which we scored 30 and lost. in 06 against CCU and in 08 against the fighting Jayson Fosters. Both teams had great QBs, one of which won the Walter Payton, the other started multiple games at the next level.

If you want to beat Wofford, you can't get in a shootout, because one team will falter, and if that's the case it won't be a shootout for the last 1/3 of the game. To beat Wofford, you don't bank on outscoring them, you bank on forcing turnovers and getting their offense off of the field.

SpeedkingATL
October 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
1) Georgia Southern-Beat Wofford, enough said for this week.
2a) Wofford-Will be determined on Saturday at The Rock.
2b) Appalachian State-See above.
4a) Samford- Will be determined at Finley on Saturday.
4b) Chattanooga - See Above
6) The Citadel - Citdogs continue the slide from early season surprises.
7) Furman - Surprised Furple is this bad.
8) Elon - Lots of passing yardage and nothing, and I mean nothing else.
9) Western Carolina - Better than Rhode Island and Savannah State. Too bad they didn't play them. Have a chance this week against Elon.

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman-A beat down by the Eagles 38-14.
Western Carolina @ Elon - Too much air attack for the Cats 31-21
Samford @ Chattanooga - Should be tight low scoring affair. Sammy's o-line gets dominated by UTC's d-line as Mocs win 24-14
Wofford @ Appalachian State - He who gets the ball last wins; that will be App 38-35.

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I can only think of one or two instances in which we scored 30 and lost. in 06 against CCU and in 08 against the fighting Jayson Fosters.

God I wish we'd had Foster in 2008.

GaSouthern
October 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Samford
5) Chattanooga
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Furman
9) Western Carolina

Georgia Southern @ Furman 21-18
Western Carolina @ Elon 28-12
Samford @ Chattanooga 27-28
Wofford @ Appalachian State 24-21

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I said this once and I will say it again. If wofford scores 30+ it's very unlikely that the other team scores 40 plus. That's not because of our defense. It's because of the way we play offense. If we score in the high 30s, chances are we're doing a rather good job at TOP. With this defense, I don't see us getting into shootouts with anybody.

I can only think of one or two instances in which we scored 30 and lost. in 06 against CCU and in 08 against the fighting Jayson Fosters. Both teams had great QBs, one of which won the Walter Payton, the other started multiple games at the next level.

If you want to beat Wofford, you can't get in a shootout, because one team will falter, and if that's the case it won't be a shootout for the last 1/3 of the game. To beat Wofford, you don't bank on outscoring them, you bank on forcing turnovers and getting their offense off of the field.

Over the last 10 seasons we are 6-4 against you guys. In three of those losses neither team scored more than 28 points. In five of the six wins, we scored at least 38 points. With history as my guide, I prefer our chances in a shootout versus a low-scoring affair.

fc97
October 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
what massey says this week

4- gsu
13- appy
23- wofford
28- samford
32- utc
33- the citadel
57- elon
68- furman
94- western

and to keep it real
122- davidson

also lovin' how app fans dump on elon in another thread that elon fans havent posted in

gsu2583
October 15th, 2012, 09:50 AM

???

Certainly TOP plays a big factor, but let's not forget, with option teams a high-scoring affair can be the result of 4 or 5 BIG plays off a missed read or blown tackle. Maybe there's a pick-6 thrown in there for good measure. An option team can easily put 35+ on the board and NOT dominate TOP.

For instance, in Wofford's 82-0 win over Lincoln (Div. II) Wofford held the ball only 30 seconds more than their opponent. They held the ball for 1:30 longer than Gardner-Webb, 1:00 longer than Elon, and broke-even in TOP vs. Furple. The only game Wofford has dominated TOP was vs GSU and we know how that turned out.

IF that ends up being the case, a good defense is nice to have, but can easily be worn out early in the game (potentially.) Some of this will boil down to Frankenstein if he is healthy/on his game.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Over the last 10 seasons we are 6-4 against you guys. In three of those losses neither team scored more than 28 points. In five of the six wins, we scored at least 38 points. With history as my guide, I prefer our chances in a shootout versus a low-scoring affair.

What's your definition of a shootout? on the top of my head, I don't think we've scored 30 on you guys twice. Both were shootouts, in 2007 and 2009. We split those two games. in 2007 we somewhat controlled that game, and in 2009 App came storming back against a banged up Wofford team. Wofford's defense this year is better than both of those defenses.

My point is, if it's going to be a shootout (by my definition of a shootout, both teams scoring more than 30, based on trends of how Wofford plays offense, not just against App) it's very unlikely.

Since 2006, when we changed up our offense, we've scored 30+ roughly 40 times. Of those 40 times, we've only lost 3 games, all by 3, with only about 5 or 6 other games being within 10 points.

Apphole
October 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
lovin' how app fans dump on elon in another thread that elon fans havent posted in

I ripped on just about every SoCon team in my picks. Haven't read any other App fans speaking ill of you guys. You're so cute for chiming in though. xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
???

Certainly TOP plays a big factor, but let's not forget, with option teams a high-scoring affair can be the result of 4 or 5 BIG plays off a missed read or blown tackle. Maybe there's a pick-6 thrown in there for good measure. An option team can easily put 35+ on the board and NOT dominate TOP.

For instance, in Wofford's 82-0 win over Lincoln (Div. II) Wofford held the ball only 30 seconds more than their opponent. They held the ball for 1:30 longer than Gardner-Webb, 1:00 longer than Elon, and broke-even in TOP vs. Furple. The only game Wofford has dominated TOP was vs GSU and we know how that turned out.

IF that ends up being the case, a good defense is nice to have, but can easily be worn out early in the game (potentially.) Some of this will boil down to Frankenstein if he is healthy/on his game.

Once again, reading comprehension is not your friend. You have dissect how each game was played. TOP doesn't necessarily have to be dominated (which if you would notice, I never said in that post that it would be "dominated") for an option team to control the clock. Take Elon for instance, they couldn't get us off of the field, niether could GW, or Furman in the second half (of which we dominated TOP in the second half).

If an option team goes up a couple scores, they can play ball control and work the TOP. That was my point. Jesus, I hate explaining simple concepts to you.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
What's your definition of a shootout? on the top of my head, I don't think we've scored 30 on you guys twice. Both were shootouts, in 2007 and 2009. We split those two games. in 2007 we somewhat controlled that game, and in 2009 App came storming back against a banged up Wofford team. Wofford's defense this year is better than both of those defenses.

My point is, if it's going to be a shootout (by my definition of a shootout, both teams scoring more than 30, based on trends of how Wofford plays offense, not just against App) it's very unlikely.

Since 2006, when we changed up our offense, we've scored 30+ roughly 40 times. Of those 40 times, we've only lost 3 games, all by 3, with only about 5 or 6 other games being within 10 points.

Essentially I am just talking about a high scoring contest-say one where the teams combine for more than 70 points. Since you mentioned that you guys changed your offense in 2006 our record against you guys is 4-2 (we won in 2006, lost in 2007, won in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and lost in 2011). In three of our four wins we scored at least 40 points.

You're wrong about always losing closely when you score 30+ BTW, in 2009 we beat you guys 44-34.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Essentially I am just talking about a high scoring contest-say one where the teams combine for more than 70 points. Since you mentioned that you guys changed your offense in 2006 our record against you guys is 4-2 (we won in 2006, lost in 2007, won in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and lost in 2011). In three of our four wins we scored at least 40 points.

You're wrong about always losing closely when you score 30+ BTW, in 2009 we beat you guys 44-34.

If I'm not mistaken, Quick caught a TD with about 4 minutes left to ceil the deal. It was pretty close for 56 minutes, with Wofford leading for about 3 quarters. We were terrible that year too.

gsu2583
October 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM

How exactly did you not contradict yourself within three sentences of each other? It certainly seems like you were implying that with your offense controlling TOP it would prevent a "shootout." And then you said, well, with your defense you don't see... well... you can read it.

I was just saying that TOP isn't all that, and that despite your stellar offensive numbers this season, TOP seems to have not been a huge factor in your wins.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM
How exactly did you not contradict yourself within three sentences of each other? It certainly seems like you were implying that with your offense controlling TOP it would prevent a "shootout." And then you said, well, with your defense you don't see... well... you can read it.

I was just saying that TOP isn't all that, and that despite your stellar offensive numbers this season, TOP seems to have not been a huge factor in your wins.

This is getting old.

1) For option teams, defenses don't have to be stellar to keep teams scoring below 30 a game. The strategy is ball control. Look at Wofford in 2007 and 2008 or Georgia Tech won the ACC. average defenses, great offenses that grinded the ball and played ball control, often translating to an edge in TOP

2)Wofford has a decent defense this year, so compliment the fact that our offense plays good keep away and the fact that we have good defense, and I don't see us getting into too many high scoring shootouts this year. As we haven't

3) TOP is a factor, and an indicator of how well one controls the ball, though not the be all-end all.

Please stop pretending you're coming up with AHA moments because I'm getting tired of spelling things out for you.

gsu2583
October 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Wow. Even when I'm picking Woffie to win, paying you a few compliments, and trying to add a little perspective to your TOP implications, you still act like a d*ck.

Ok, so take your ball control offense and your decent defense to the Rock. Good luck with that.

chattanoogamocs
October 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Don't look now, but daddy's boy ;) was just named SoCon Freshman of the Week...

FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga, Fr., QB, Chattanooga, Tenn.
Freshman Jacob Huesman earned the start at wide receiver for the Mocs and turned in a strong all-around performance as Chattanooga topped Furman 31-10 Saturday. Huesman caught three passes for 32 yards as a receiver. He also took snaps under center and completed 18 of 23 pass attempts for 171 yards with two touchdowns. Huesman found Terrell Robinson on a 38-yard touchdown to give the Mocs a 10-7 lead going into halftime. He hooked up with Robinson again from 14 yards out to put UTC up 17-7 in the middle of the third quarter. Huesman also carried the ball 22 times for 59 yards in the win.

Other Nominees: Sean Price (Appalachian State), Alex Hanks (Georgia Southern), Tony Philpot (Samford), Troy Mitchell (Western Carolina) and Cam Flowers (Wofford).

The rest: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205712383&DB_OEM_ID=4000

longtimemocfan
October 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I realize this is going to sound ridiculous given Saturday's events, but I don't see how UTC expects long term success running the offense they are running.

UTC has some spectacular athletes at the skill positions - a nice looking tightend and a small scat back with speed to complement Robinson and Husemann. Still, that was as gimmicky an offense as I can remember seeing at the FCS level. Several times, it appeared almost too "cute" to be effective, allowing drives to stall based not on a poor play, but too much going on. I say this with full knowledge that they put up 31 points against Furman, though most of that came against an obviously gassed defense who spent what felt like 90% of the game on the field because our offense could not sustain a drive of more than 7 yards (that's another story).

If I am Huseman, I put my son at quarterback and Robinson at receiver. From now until they graduate. Forever. Robinson has the opportunity to perhaps be the best WR in the SoCon. UTC's coaches seem so concerned with giving defenses "different looks" that they are reluctant to let him get sufficient work in at either position to be a really good football player. There were several passes Robinson threw on Saturday where there wasn't a Moc receiver in the same zip code. UTC will win games if they stick Robinson on the outside and leave him there.

I don't think this is really rocket science either. I would wager that you could fill the Titanic with great college wide receivers who also played quarterback (Heck, Furman's got two or three converts). So, it is nothing special to have a receiver who can throw (particularly one who can throw and has trouble hitting his own players). Every team has that. UTC will be dangerous if they just get rid of this bizarre two QB system and just let Huseman throw to Robinson. There is hay to be made there, IMO, if UTC's coaches can get out of their own way.

This is not to take anything away from the Mocs, because they really put it to us. Just seems like their offense has a lot of potential, and they are just making things way too difficult out there. Just my two cents.

I tend to agree with your assessment for the most part. Robinson does make a heck of a receiver. You basically can't not cover him one on one. I think he could still be used in some running plays. I've said all along Huesman is the better passer. I agree "gimmicky" is a good word for what they are trying to do. While it does create confusion it also can kill a potential drive.

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Quick caught a TD with about 4 minutes left to ceil the deal. It was pretty close for 56 minutes, with Wofford leading for about 3 quarters. We were terrible that year too.

I really don't know-doesn't change the fact that we have generally done better in high scoring contests against you guys, which is why I would prefer a high-scoring game.

CID1990
October 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
To paraphrase Pogo-

I have seen our defense, and he is suck.

I can't put us above anyone other than WCU at this point. Our defense is awful, and key injuries have made an already weak unit weaker. I do not see us stopping Furman or Elon. We might stack up better against Wofford, but they will stop our offense. The only game I am sure we will win is against VMI.

Hope the Dogs prove me wrong, but I got called a baiter for predicting that Samford would win 28-7 and look what happened.

Apphole
October 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Don't look now, but daddy's boy ;) was just named SoCon Freshman of the Week...

FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga, Fr., QB, Chattanooga, Tenn.
Freshman Jacob Huesman earned the start at wide receiver for the Mocs and turned in a strong all-around performance as Chattanooga topped Furman 31-10 Saturday. Huesman caught three passes for 32 yards as a receiver. He also took snaps under center and completed 18 of 23 pass attempts for 171 yards with two touchdowns. Huesman found Terrell Robinson on a 38-yard touchdown to give the Mocs a 10-7 lead going into halftime. He hooked up with Robinson again from 14 yards out to put UTC up 17-7 in the middle of the third quarter. Huesman also carried the ball 22 times for 59 yards in the win.

Other Nominees: Sean Price (Appalachian State), Alex Hanks (Georgia Southern), Tony Philpot (Samford), Troy Mitchell (Western Carolina) and Cam Flowers (Wofford).

The rest: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205712383&DB_OEM_ID=4000

I guess Price can't get it every week. They would be criticized even though he's the clear choice every single week.

chattanoogamocs
October 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I guess Price can't get it every week. They would be criticized even though he's the clear choice every single week.

You sound like Chattownmocs.

james_lawfirm
October 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I really don't know-doesn't change the fact that we have generally done better in high scoring contests against you guys, which is why I would prefer a high-scoring game.

Here's my 2 cents. Against Woffie, App's O better be counting potential number of possessions. If we get more than about 8, then we either got some turnovers, or else, our D made no tackles (allowing Woffie to score quickly). After we finish counting possessions, we better be scoring on each and every possession we do get.

Else, it's gonna be a long day.

T-Dog
October 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
This week's article. Looking back at the near-catastrophe, taking away the positives and some negatives and then looking ahead to the show down with the Terriers, plus a rant on Samford's announcing crew.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeeabndaw/

Back to the topic at hand.

Georgia Southern @ Furman - 45-14 - Swope has a monster day
Western Carolina @ Elon - 35-31 - Elon squeaks it out over an improving Western team.
Samford @ Chattanooga - 28-14 - UTC finishes off a devastated Samford.
Wofford @ Appalachian State - 48-35 - Offense responds in a big way for ASU.

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM

5 catches 90 yards 1 td? lol. Great choice.

asumike83
October 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
It isn't so much the stats themselves (not that 90 yards and a TD are bad by any means) but how he got them. The touchdown coming in the final seconds over a defender to decide the game is pretty impressive, especially for a freshman on the road. Don't think you can go wrong with either though, Huesman had a great game.

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
It isn't so much the stats themselves (not that 90 yards and a TD are bad by any means) but how he got them. The touchdown coming in the final seconds over a defender to decide the game is pretty impressive, especially for a freshman on the road. Don't think you can go wrong with either though, Huesman had a great game.

You could go very wrong picking a WR who caught 5 balls for player of the week accolades when there was a QB who had a good game.

Apphole
October 15th, 2012, 11:58 AM
5 catches 90 yards 1 td? lol. Great choice.

He hauled in two tough one's in the final one-minute drive including his game winning snatch. Speaking of snatches. how's your mother doing?

Anyway, his clutch performance is what would elevate him over a half way decent QB job over a weak Furman team. I guess anything about being "clutch" or winning at the end of the game is lost on a Chatty fan.

chattownmocs
October 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
He hauled in two tough one's in the final one-minute drive including his game winning snatch. Speaking of snatches. how's your mother doing?

Anyway, his clutch performance is what would elevate him over a half way decent QB job over a weak Furman team. I guess anything about being "clutch" or winning at the end of the game is lost on a Chatty fan.

Wow, setting yourself up for your own punch lines. How weak. Great story though. A WR catching 5 balls is inferior to a QB having a good game. At the end of the year if Huesman has a good year for a feshman QB and Price has a great year for a freshman WR than the award should go to the guy who plays the much tougher and more important position. That's how these things work in the game of football.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I tend to agree with your assessment for the most part. Robinson does make a heck of a receiver. You basically can't not cover him one on one. I think he could still be used in some running plays. I've said all along Huesman is the better passer. I agree "gimmicky" is a good word for what they are trying to do. While it does create confusion it also can kill a potential drive.

Completely agree. I just start shifting in my seat when teams start getting too "cute" on offense. Saturday I was watching and kept thinking UTC was just doing Furman favors with their playcalling.

Apphole
October 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Just tip your hat and call us daddy.

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Wow. Even when I'm picking Woffie to win, paying you a few compliments, and trying to add a little perspective to your TOP implications, you still act like a d*ck.

Ok, so take your ball control offense and your decent defense to the Rock. Good luck with that.

That's probably the exact opposite of what you've been doing.

ElCid
October 16th, 2012, 03:45 AM
1 - Georgia Southern – clearly has the momentum
2 - Wofford – another tough test after easy start to season
3 - Appalachian State – can excise Citadel demon entirely if victorious Saturday
4 – Chattanooga – turn around team
5 - Samford – Only because I think they get beat by Mocs
6 - The Citadel – holding after ugly defensive performance at home against WCU
7 – Furman - inconsistent
8 - Elon – gotta win to stay out of cellar
9 - Western Carolina – a win over Elon would get them out of cellar, they are much better than last year

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Furman – 31-21, a slight let down week, closer than Eagle fans would like, but still a win
Western Carolina @ Elon - 38-35, another close lose for the Cats in last realistic chance for a SOCON victory
Samford @ Chattanooga – 27-20, Samford sputters on road, Mocs D too strong
Wofford @ Appalachian State - 31-28, another dramatic victory for App
Open @ Citadel - rest and recoup, the D circles up and the coaches read them "Defense for Dummies":o

walliver
October 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
1) GSU - Not the dominant team of the Johnson years, and may well lose another conference game this year, but undeniably #1 this week
2) Wofford - injuries are creeping in and triple option has struggled in red zone.
3) App State - could make an argument for #2, but bad loss to Citadel keeps them in third
4) Chattanooga - the best of the rest, but Huesman has never been able to put together a complete season
5-7) toss up
Samford - good start to the season. They are winning. but somehow they have not impressed me
Furman - great potential, but freshman QB is still a freshman. Still may pull a big upset this year, possibly this weekend
Citadel - schizoid team. There is some dynamic to this team I can't get a hold of (apparently Higgins can't either)
8) Elon - their schedule gets easier from here (the top 3 are out of the way), but they need to win to move up
9) WCU - they have a chance to move up this week, but the cellar is theirs alone until they win.

GSU at Furman - not a gimme game by any means, and FU has the potential to win, especially if GSU turns the ball over, but it could also degenerate into a blow-out if the TO is clicking. GSU 24-21
WCU at Elon - Elon has the better team, but I have a feeling the kitties feast on Tweety bird this weekend 35-31
Samford at Chatty - one of the better games this week, but out of the spotlight. A toss-up but I give the edge to the home team 17-14
Wofford at the Rock - it's been a long decade in the mountains, but T-dogs hold off a late ASU rally to win 35-28.
Citadel at open - Not even the Citadel can have a big enough choke to lose this one.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I think everyone else has more confidence in Furman's chances that most Furman fans. :)

It was about this time last year Furman popped two top 5 teams in Greenville in three weeks.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
This week's article. Looking back at the near-catastrophe, taking away the positives and some negatives and then looking ahead to the show down with the Terriers, plus a rant on Samford's announcing crew.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeeabndaw/

Back to the topic at hand.

Georgia Southern @ Furman - 45-14 - Swope has a monster day
Western Carolina @ Elon - 35-31 - Elon squeaks it out over an improving Western team.
Samford @ Chattanooga - 28-14 - UTC finishes off a devastated Samford.
Wofford @ Appalachian State - 48-35 - Offense responds in a big way for ASU.

You would think that the App State writer could tell the difference between a PA announcer and a male cheerleader's
speaker wouldn't you? In this case I guess not.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
To paraphrase Pogo-

I have seen our defense, and he is suck.

I can't put us above anyone other than WCU at this point. Our defense is awful, and key injuries have made an already weak unit weaker. I do not see us stopping Furman or Elon. We might stack up better against Wofford, but they will stop our offense. The only game I am sure we will win is against VMI.

Hope the Dogs prove me wrong, but I got called a baiter for predicting that Samford would win 28-7 and look what happened.

Yep, I'm the one that called you out, but you were right-on in that prediction. Never saw it coming that easy - my apology.

Apphole
October 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
You would think that the App State writer could tell the difference between a PA announcer and a male cheerleader's

In the case of the samford sports online broadcast, the two were one in the same. With more complaining about the refs than I've ever heard as well.

SU DOG
October 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
In the case of the samford sports online broadcast, the two were one in the same. With more complaining about the refs than I've ever heard as well.

You expect to get FREE online streaming without homerism? LOL

Apphole
October 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Homerism was expected. Your guys took it to a whole new level. The crying about the refs was beyond amateurish.

Aside from those guys I loved the broadcast. The quality was better than App's, you had the time and score box (app is just a raw feed, during the Nooga game me and about 15 other App fans in a Charlotte bar thought we had 7 less points than we actually did for almost an hour) and it never froze or messed up. I know it's free because there's very little demand for it, but all things considered, I was impressed. The announcers were cry babies though. It was embarrassing for Samford fans.

fc97
October 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Homerism was expected. Your guys took it to a whole new level. The crying about the refs was beyond amateurish.

Aside from those guys I loved the broadcast. The quality was better than App's, you had the time and score box (app is just a raw feed, during the Nooga game me and about 15 other App fans in a Charlotte bar thought we had 7 less points than we actually did for almost an hour) and it never froze or messed up. I know it's free because there's very little demand for it, but all things considered, I was impressed. The announcers were cry babies though. It was embarrassing for Samford fans.

seriously? your guy with the big mountain accent says "we" every sentence in the broadcast?

cbarrier90
October 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM

You must understand, this was Samford's moment to officially "arrive" in the Southern Conference (par the course for most SoCon programs playing ASU at this point.) All the "small stadium, private, outside the conference footprint, below average program" naysayers were about to be brought home to roost with this awesome comeback homecoming victory that would put SU in the driver's seat for their first SoCon crown and thrust them into national relevance. ASU stole that opportunity in stunning fashion right before their very eyes, so you can imagine the sour grapes. Two yard gain on 4th and 1 and Samford wins. Stunning...

Apphole
October 16th, 2012, 02:29 PM
seriously? your guy with the big mountain accent says "we" every sentence in the broadcast?

Steve Brown doesn't complain about the officials every 3 minutes. Unless you watched the Samford broadcast of the App game, I suggest you keep your ignorance to yourself.

cbarrier90
October 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM

That's Steve Brown, former ASU quarterback. He is in the booth because, as a former football player, he can provide a perspective on the game that non-players like David Jackson can't. He is also on an Appalachian-centric broadcast, not meant for bitter Elon fans...

Thank you for your interest in the Appalachian IMG Sports Network...

Apphole
October 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
You must understand, this was Samford's moment to officially "arrive" in the Southern Conference (par the course for most SoCon programs playing ASU at this point.) All the "small stadium, private, outside the conference footprint, below average program" naysayers were about to be brought home to roost with this awesome comeback homecoming victory that would put SU in the driver's seat for their first SoCon crown and thrust them into national relevance. ASU stole that opportunity in stunning fashion right before their very eyes, so you can imagine the sour grapes. Two yard gain on 4th and 1 and Samford wins. Stunning...

I'd be pissed too, but they were complaining about every single play saying "there should have been a flag there" ect, even saying that they had been screwed the previous week by officials too. The guy even said, and I quote, "We're getting SHAFTED by the officials." Anyone that watched the broadcast would agree with me. It's not even debatable.

GlassOnion
October 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Not to mention Steve Brown isnt the least bit shy of calling out what App is or is not doing well... I dont think that is a distinguishing characteristic of the pure homer.

cbarrier90
October 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'd be pissed too, but they were complaining about every single play saying "there should have been a flag there" ect, even saying that they had been screwed the previous week by officials too. The guy even said, and I quote, "We're getting SHAFTED by the officials." Anyone that watched the broadcast would agree with me. It's not even debatable.

To that I say, "Welcome to Southern Conference officiating!"

GlassOnion
October 16th, 2012, 02:37 PM
To that I say, "Welcome to Southern Conference officiating!"

Im just thankful it hasnt cost us a game. The pass interference two weeks ago was horrible, the official 5 yards away staring right at it apparently had no problem, then that 35 yard bomb of a penalty flag comes in from the ref that couldnt possibly have seen it any better.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
GS/Furman- Furman has been a disappointment, but GS might play flat becouse of the big win against Wofford, take GS in an ugly game-27-23
WCU/Elon- Cats finally get a win 28-24
Samford/Chatt- playoff game, Chatt playing real good defense, no so good offense, Samford is either really pissed and play very well, or they feel sorry for themselves and get their asses handed to them, I'll take pissed, Samford-24-Chatt 14
Wofford/App- Wofford is in a tough spot, not only do they need to win in a stadium where they normally get their asses handed to them, but they have also lost their best offensive lineman, and EB is, at best, really beat up, and probably will not be close to 100% On the other side, after Apps meltdown against Citt, the fans and the team can't be real confident. Take App, but with little conviction, App 31-27

asu3peat
October 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Thought it was against Socon rules to use artificial noisemakers...speakers??? More cowbell!!!

1 - Georgia Southern
2 - Wofford
3 - Appalachian State
4 – Chattanooga
5 - Samford
6 - The Citadel
7 – Furman
8 - Elon
9 - Western Carolina

GlassOnion
October 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Im going to pick App over Wofford by double digits, because there is no reason that will happen, and App football defies reason. App 34-24.

asumike83
October 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Not only did I expect the homerism, I actually enjoyed it. As fc97 mentioned, our announcers talk about Appalachian in the first person all the time. They also get excited about big plays. I liked their passion for Samford and would not expect an unbiased call from the home crew.

My only criticism was the constant harping on the officials. Listening to their call, you would have never guessed that App was assessed more penalties and penalty yards than Samford because every time we were flagged, it came with some sort of "it's about time" sentiment while every flag on the Bulldogs was "questionable". It didn't really bother me that much but it did make them sound bitter, which is a disservice to Samford, in my opinion.

The stream itself was excellent though, puts ours to shame and you have to pay for GoASU!

boogereagle
October 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard Georgia Southern's radio crew? The play by play guy isn't too bad and tends to leave the refs alone, but the other two were awful for a while .... constantly bitching about calls. I mean, there's a fine line. They crossed it all the time.

They're a bit better now, but there are times when they revert back to the 'refs screwed us' act.

gsu_paintballer
October 16th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I've always found the whole thing about criticizing the refs a ton a little ridiculous.

As long as we're in little league football, we might as well expect the little league refs.

ElCid
October 16th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard Georgia Southern's radio crew? The play by play guy isn't too bad and tends to leave the refs alone, but the other two were awful for a while .... constantly bitching about calls. I mean, there's a fine line. They crossed it all the time.

They're a bit better now, but there are times when they revert back to the 'refs screwed us' act.

I always hate it when anyone, including the Cid announcers, mention the refs. But have you ever heard the Citadel guy? EVERY TIME we score he shouts "FIRE THOSE CANNONS." Even I am getting a little annoyed at it.xlolx

Maybe someone could do a mantage of the most annoying radio guys of the SOCON.

walliver
October 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I always hate it when anyone, including the Cid announcers, mention the refs. But have you ever heard the Citadel guy? EVERY TIME we score he shouts "FIRE THOSE CANNONS." Even I am getting a little annoyed at it.xlolx

Maybe someone could do a mantage of the most annoying radio guys of the SOCON.

I watched the Wofford-Citadel game last year and thought the announcers did a good job. The "Fire Those Cannons" line did seem a little silly with TD's scored in garbage time though.

The Wofford announcers don't have any annoying sayings, but there is a "delay" in announcing. It is common to hear the crowd noise followed by a play description. In effect, you know something big happened, but it takes a while before you know if it is good or bad.

citdog
October 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM
As long as we're in little league football, we might as well expect the little league refs.

pretty sure that the eaglets from pigs ***, ga play DIVISION I Football with the rest of the Southern Conference.

gsu_paintballer
October 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
pretty sure that the eaglets from pigs ***, ga play DIVISION I Football with the rest of the Southern Conference.

....in name only.

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2012, 12:06 AM
If there is one thing all conferences have in common...its fans complaining about the refs. From the SoCon, to the Sun Belt, to the SEC.

eaglewraith
October 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Terry Harvin is the color commentator and is a former player under Erk Russell. He's earned the right to be a homer.

Ryan Chambers is the sideline reporter and has been around Georgia Southern football since 2006 I believe. Yes he's a homer, but he's got passion.

That's what you want to hear from your broadcasters from YOUR network. I don't want any devil's advocates.

fc97
October 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Steve Brown doesn't complain about the officials every 3 minutes. Unless you watched the Samford broadcast of the App game, I suggest you keep your ignorance to yourself.

steve brown is the biggest homer i've ever listened to in a broadcast. and i have heard him complain about refs. what i'm saying is get a grip dude. and i'm also saying that listening to the opposing broadcast, you fully expect a mixed bag of whatever you get.

its like you create situations so you can whine about something for every school. you're embarrassing yourself.

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2012, 08:01 AM
steve brown is the biggest homer i've ever listened to in a broadcast. and i have heard him complain about refs. what i'm saying is get a grip dude. and i'm also saying that listening to the opposing broadcast, you fully expect a mixed bag of whatever you get.

its like you create situations so you can whine about something for every school. you're embarrassing yourself.

That's my take. If you are in my stadium or listening to my radio crew, then kindly keep your opinions to yourself.

I understand the concern when obviously affiliated folks used to do the broadcast for sportssouth. Best I can remember, every SoCon broadcast had a team that was affiliated with one school or the other (Wyche and former GSU players come to mind).

biggie
October 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Brownie has never come across as an overly homer radio guy. DJ is more excited/homerish than Brownie is. He is just usually the more critical of App and what they are doing/calling, but in his comments seems pretty balanced on what he sees and then says.

Both were nice and very cool (and very entertaining) to hang out with at our homecoming game last weekend.

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM

xlolx First of all, this is a collective gripe. The topic started after criticism of T-Dog's wrap up article.

Secondly, despite your best efforts to deflect otherwise, my only complaint was the CONSTANT ref blaming that the Sammy announcers were up to on Saturday. No one, including me, cares about a pro-Samford slant/homer commentary ect because we expect it going in.

I have never heard Steve brown consistently bitch about the refs for an entire game. Criticizing a call or a no call ect here and there is expected, but talking about ref prejudice as the primary theme of the broadcast, literally every single time there was a flag or a big play, is when it crosses a line into annoying and amateurish. Again, I find it funny and typical that you would come into this thread throwing stones about it when you did not watch the broadcast on Saturday. You truly have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the topic of Samford commentator ref harping yet you still take the opportunity to slam App fans. Can't you just concentrate on your team's terrible season and leave us alone?

GlassOnion
October 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I may be in the minority, but I actually go back and listen to some other schools broadcasts after the game. I just put them on while Im working instead of the radio. I think its informative and kinda funny. Of course being able to select the games in which App won is a plus. During the game it usually annoys me.

SpeedkingATL
October 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I will say that I was impressed with the UTC announcers during the App State game, as they pretty much called out what they saw. There was a personal foul on UTC for a late hit on the ASU QB and the UTC player was complaining and the UTC announcer basicly said "come on man, you did it".

As far as the Citadel guys shouting "Shoot that cannon" they had to have run out of ammo when they played App.

biggie
October 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I may be in the minority, but I actually go back and listen to some other schools broadcasts after the game. I just put them on while Im working instead of the radio. I think its informative and kinda funny. Of course being able to select the games in which App won is a plus. During the game it usually annoys me.
I do the same. Usually for home games I'm there, then come Monday/Tuesday listen to App radio and other teams to see what was said/I missed.

Still can't get the Samford video of the first half to work though.

jonmac
October 17th, 2012, 08:51 AM
xlolx First of all, this is a collective gripe. The topic started after criticism of T-Dog's wrap up article.

Secondly, despite your best efforts to deflect otherwise, my only complaint was the CONSTANT ref blaming that the Sammy announcers were up to on Saturday. No one, including me, cares about a pro-Samford slant/homer commentary ect because we expect it going in.

I have never heard Steve brown consistently bitch about the refs for an entire game. Criticizing a call or a no call ect here and there is expected, but talking about ref prejudice as the primary theme of the broadcast, literally every single time there was a flag or a big play, is when it crosses a line into annoying and amateurish. Again, I find it funny and typical that you would come into this thread throwing stones about it when you did not watch the broadcast on Saturday. You truly have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the topic of Samford commentator ref harping yet you still take the opportunity to slam App fans. Can't you just concentrate on your team's terrible season and leave us alone?

Since I don't get to go to a lot of games I listen/watch almost every Saturday. David are Steve are homers, as they should be, they are paid by ASU, David is an Asst. AD. Steve does talk about officiating but what sets him apart is that he'll comment when App "gets" a call too. I've heard him many times say that we got away with one.

And Apphole, the UTC game online was UTC's feed, not ours. I, too, did not like that there was no score/clock/down and distance graphic. Our feed for our home games has that. The only thing I don't like about our feed right now is that the main camera man has a really hard time following the play and gets faked out as bad as our defense on misdirection plays. I also learned Saturday that problems with a feed are not always caused by the feed itself. I was having trouble on my laptop with constant buffering but when I got on the desktop it was fine.

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The Stink's guys are the worst constantly IMO. I think "put an Eagle six on it" is the dumbest, most annoying catch phrase in all of sports. Anyone remember what he said when GaSo beat us at home in 2007? Something like "came to The Rock, and put an Eagle crack in it!" Eagle crack? Is that what the guy smokes before calling games?

GlassOnion
October 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I do the same. Usually for home games I'm there, then come Monday/Tuesday listen to App radio and other teams to see what was said/I missed.

Same here. As a matter of fact, the 2nd half video is choppy for me too, its like I only get to see every third step a player takes, which is weird considering archived video usually plays better, and I get App live feeds perfectly fine.

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM

I get a DVD of every game I can to watch in the week after. It also helps me make it through the off season. I have quite the library.

biggie
October 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Two recent things that Brownie has said, he thought for sure that Price was out on the TD at Samford, so did DJ, but Randy was close to the play and corrected them.

During the Elon game McCray was called for an obvious PI call that he had two hand fulls of jersey and our crowd was booing, he said there was no arguing that call.

biggie
October 17th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I get a DVD of every game I can to watch in the week after. It also helps me make it through the off season. I have quite the library.
I use to record all the ones on TV to put to DVD later, but since we are never on TV these days I haven't had any recently. Have every game after '05 Nat Champ game that's been on TV though I believe (except some that I was angry after and deleted... ECU, VT, etc).

asu3peat
October 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM

How much would it cost to get that collection of games you have on DVD?

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
How much would it cost to get that collection of games you have on DVD?

Priceless? I don't know, man.

GATA
October 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The Stink's guys are the worst constantly IMO. I think "put an Eagle six on it" is the dumbest, most annoying catch phrase in all of sports. Anyone remember what he said when GaSo beat us at home in 2007? Something like "came to The Rock, and put an Eagle crack in it!" Eagle crack? Is that what the guy smokes before calling games?

well...I guess that's fair...because nobody likes that squeaky-voiced, ginger-kid, piece of trash that calls your games.

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
well...I guess that's fair...because nobody likes that squeaky-voiced, ginger-kid, piece of trash that calls your games.

DJ's voice is the most obnoxious by far, I'll give you that.

fc97
October 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Two recent things that Brownie has said, he thought for sure that Price was out on the TD at Samford, so did DJ, but Randy was close to the play and corrected them.

During the Elon game McCray was called for an obvious PI call that he had two hand fulls of jersey and our crowd was booing, he said there was no arguing that call.

i'll be honest, was impressed with how fair your guys called it this year. much different than some of the previous years for sure

ASUMountaineer
October 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM

You have a serious chubb for ASU, almost as big as Apphole's is for UNCC...almost.

In all seriousness, you're wrong in calling Steve Brown the biggest homer you've ever listened to (unless you've only listened to ASU broadcasts). That's a gross exaggeration.

You'll notice I have had nothing to say about Samford's commentators because they were what they should be: "homers." They are paid by the school to call the games, they should be homers. The criticism of the refs was slightly excessive, but no different than any fan in the stands. I don't, and no one should, expect SoCon school commentators to be Tirico and Gruden...just not going to happen.

Is it possible everyone just quit whining and talk about football? Who gives a crap that the Samford commentators were biased and homerish? Seriously...

eaglewraith
October 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Man. I didn't know butthurt lasted that long. You should maybe go see a proctologist.

ASUMountaineer
October 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Man. I didn't know butthurt lasted that long. You should maybe go see a proctologist.

Oh come on. That's pretty funny. Not too bad, Apphole. xthumbsupx

blueballs
October 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM

The fact that an Appie hates our broadcasters means that they're doing it right...

They're supposed to be homers, they're hired and paid by GSU... no different than (one of my all time favorites) Larry Munson (RIP) at UGA or Mick Hubert at UF.

"Put an Eagle six on it" and "GSU came in and put an Eagle crack in the Rock" are music to our ears, as was "Number 1 goes down, number 1 goes down (2010 App/GSU)!!!"

Apphole
October 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM

My butthurt from that game was cured when we hoisted a third straight national championship trophy later that year.

"and put an Eagle crack in it" was incredibly retarded. "The Eagle's came to the Rock, and put a crack in it" would be just fine, but he tried to insert is already lame catch phrase.

cbarrier90
October 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
The fact that an Appie hates our broadcasters means that they're doing it right...

They're supposed to be homers, they're hired and paid by GSU... no different than (one of my all time favorites) Larry Munson (RIP) at UGA or Mick Hubert at UF.

"Put an Eagle six on it" and "GSU came in and put an Eagle crack in the Rock" are music to our ears, as was "Number 1 goes down, number 1 goes down (2010 App/GSU)!!!"

Exactly. If you listen to the same voice broadcasting your team's games, you get accustomed to their particular nuances and the way they call games. When you hear other broadcasters call the game differently, it's human nature to not like them as well because they are a change from the routine. As far as "homerism," if I listen to an ASU broadcast, I expect it to be from an ASU POV as though I was sitting in an ASU section of a game sharing in the ebbs and flows of excitement with fellow ASU fans. I'm sure every other fan in America expects the same thing from their respective sports teams.

"Put an Eagle six on it" is the trademark phrase if you will of GSU's crew, much like "Touchdown, black and gold!" for DJ. If, during a break in the action of the App game, a score is announced where GSU is uncharacteristically trailing an opponent, sometimes DJ will comment that GSU needs to "Put an Eagle six on it." Granted, as an ASU broadcaster he says that facetiously, but it shows that the GSU crew is doing its job when it comes to "branding" their broadcasts.

As an ASU fan, the GSU calls against ASU hurt to listen to, but as a broadcasting major, I tip my cap to them because they are able to create those iconic calls on-the-fly. Like it or not, the whole "crack in the rock" call was a fantastic line considering that it was not written or rehearsed by the crew. Given time to sit down and think about how to sum up the game, the best newswriters probably couldn't come up with a line that good, and this was said in the heat of the moment. That's what makes sports broadcasting an art form.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM

You're nuts if you think Steve Brown is a big homer. Yes, you can tell he is an App grad but he constantly criticizes ASU players performance as well as play calls by the staff.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM

OUCH!

SoCon48
October 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM

OUCH II

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I will say that I was impressed with the UTC announcers during the App State game, as they pretty much called out what they saw. There was a personal foul on UTC for a late hit on the ASU QB and the UTC player was complaining and the UTC announcer basicly said "come on man, you did it".

As far as the Citadel guys shouting "Shoot that cannon" they had to have run out of ammo when they played App.

Jim Reynolds calls the Mocs...I believe he is the dean of announcers in the SoCon (this is his 32nd year)...though I can't remember if it is for basketball or football (or both).

I have always liked the way he calls a game...he gets excited with a big play (as he should), but overall, he isn't homerish at all...he will call it like he sees it (even when it is not in the Mocs favor).

Now if you want to hear the most homerish announcer in all of SoCon sports, listen to a few minutes of Larry Ward (Lady Mocs basketball)...good lord, I love the guy personally, but I can barely listen to his broadcast...I am seriously waiting for the day that he strokes out on air because he gets so riled up with an perceived bad call. The LMs could be up 50 on Wofford and he is still freaking out because of a call he didn't like.

fc97
October 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
You're nuts if you think Steve Brown is a big homer. Yes, you can tell he is an App grad but he constantly criticizes ASU players performance as well as play calls by the staff.

xbangx gosh another one. you're right, i'm crazy. its the only explanation.

CID1990
October 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
If there is one thing all conferences have in common...its fans complaining about the refs. From the SoCon, to the Sun Belt, to the SEC.

I don't think I have ever complained about the refs, except once against Elon a few years ago in Charleston. It is a human sport and they are not perfect.

That said, they did stink pretty bad in the WCU game. Holding was atrocious.

chattanoogamocs
October 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I don't think I have ever complained about the refs, except once against Elon a few years ago in Charleston. It is a human sport and they are not perfect.

That said, they did stink pretty bad in the WCU game. Holding was atrocious.

I never complain about refs either...it's pointless.

I just like to poke a little fun at people that think if they move up to an FBS conference, the officiating will be better (when the reality is, the fans in those conferences complain just as much about the refs as SoCon fans do)

walliver
October 18th, 2012, 06:41 AM

I just like to poke a little fun at people that think if they move up to an FBS conference, the officiating will be better (when the reality is, the fans in those conferences complain just as much about the refs as SoCon fans do)

In fact, they are frequently the same refs (the Big South uses ACC refs, for example).

Eagle22
October 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM

Years ago that 'argument' might have been weaker, but w/ the replay rules in place now at the FBS level, I think there is a significantly better chance that the right call gets made, and ultimately that is what folks want. Yes, you're never going to satisfy all those fans who talk incessantly about the missed holding calls, independent of which conference a team plays in.

At the FCS level, unless it is a certain game/stage in the playoffs, the absence of reviewable calls means that the refs have to get it right the first time. I can think of a number of instances over the years that have changed outcomes of games, that would have benefitted from improved scrutiny.

This has not just been an issue to affect my team, though obviously the ones that do are the ones that come to my mind the quickest :p

Apphole
October 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
C-USA refs certainly didn't help us this year. At one point in the 4th the penalty totals were ASU:11 ECU:1. A friend of mine whose an NC State grad was watching it on TV, texted me and said we were getting screwed. Still not as bad as 0 holding calls against any of our SoCon opponents for the entire 2011 season though. It doesn't get much worse than that.

biggie
October 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM
They did finally call a hold on Elon this year to break that streak, so I'm sure they consider it balanced now.

ElCid
October 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
C-USA refs certainly didn't help us this year. At one point in the 4th the penalty totals were ASU:11 ECU:1. A friend of mine whose an NC State grad was watching it on TV, texted me and said we were getting screwed. Still not as bad as 0 holding calls against any of our SoCon opponents for the entire 2011 season though. It doesn't get much worse than that.

I am not sure if the Bulldogs are getting good breaks, the Refs are bad, or we are just hyper disciplined in regard to committing penalties, or a combination of all three. In case anyone missed it, the Citadel has the lowest penalty yards to date in FCS. And that includes teams with two less games played. If we had not committed so many penalties on kickoffs in the Ga So game (I think 4) we would also have the lowest total to date as well. We were lowest in FCS in both yards and number last year. I sure hope this eventually results in more Ws, otherwise, we might as well try and sneak more by!

In the games I have seen so far this year, I have to say there were a couple of times we probably should have had penalties called that were not called. On the other hand a Cid safety did have the situational awareness to commit a pass interfere with a Mocs receiver, big time, when it was clear the receiver was going to make a catch and score. That is a good penalty. The ones that really piss me off are when our guys commit a block in the back (I think we got our first one this year just this past week, happened to be on an interception return for TD—called back), or any unnecessary roughness calls – nothing but free yards.

I am not so sure our refs are any better or worse than any other conferences. Also, I think we have all become too spoiled with instant re-play.