PDA

View Full Version : Rule changes to affect NCAA football

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Football Rule Changes To Affect NCAA Football
SLC officials coordinator Jim Harvey goes over the changes

July 31, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - Jim Harvey, the coordinator of football officials for the Southland Conference, said recently that a couple of rule changes for the coming season could have a big impact on the college game.

The changes are: rule 3-2-5.a.1 - when the ball is free-kicked, the game clock will be started and subsequently stopped when the ball is dead by rule, and rule 3-2-5-3 - when team B is awarded a first down, the clock will stop and will start on the ready for play signal.

"What this means," said Harvey, "is that the clock is going to start when the toe touches the ball on free kicks and the clock will start when the 25 second clock starts on a possession change.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080206aaa.html

89Hen
August 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
: smh : I'm in favor of making the games longer, not shorter. :bawling:

EKU05
August 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
This is what the NCAA sits around and thinks about?

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
I think this was a thread earlier this year but thanks for the reminder

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Football Rule Changes To Affect NCAA Football
SLC officials coordinator Jim Harvey goes over the changes

July 31, 2006

FRISCO, Texas - Jim Harvey, the coordinator of football officials for the Southland Conference, said recently that a couple of rule changes for the coming season could have a big impact on the college game.

The changes are: rule 3-2-5.a.1 - when the ball is free-kicked, the game clock will be started and subsequently stopped when the ball is dead by rule, and rule 3-2-5-3 - when team B is awarded a first down, the clock will stop and will start on the ready for play signal.

"What this means," said Harvey, "is that the clock is going to start when the toe touches the ball on free kicks and the clock will start when the 25 second clock starts on a possession change.

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080206aaa.html

Also, kicking tee reduced from 2 to 1 inches to limit touchbacks.

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
That last one is a joke - starting the game clock when the 25 second clock starts on the change of possession. I don't know how often it comes up, but now with something less than 5 seconds on the clock and no one having timeouts, a team could turn the ball over on downs at their own 1 yard line, knowing there wouldn't be enough time for the other team's offense to get on the field and set up to even run a play.

Agree with 89Hen, the game's aren't long enough as it is, why this mad rush to make them shorter? Maybe if the BCS leagues would cut down on the excessive commercials in their games then we wouldn't have time issues that bring on misguided legislation like this.

Retro
August 2nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
TV Networks are dictating these changes.. It has more to do with the I-A conferences having multiples games back to back on networks and they want more lead in time for the games, so the NCAA gives in, yet this won't do any good if those same games run overtime or a lot of out of bound plays.

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think this was a thread earlier this year but thanks for the reminder

It was just reported on southland (www.southland.org).org on 7/31.