PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 AGS POLL SHAKE UP

theasushow
October 13th, 2012, 07:00 PM
#1 LOST
#2 LOST
#3 LOST

#5 Wofford is losing to GSU but still lots of time left, could #4 JMU be our new #1?? If Wofford beats GSU would that propel them to the top spot?? I got nothin....and the polls are due in 40 hours.

frozennorth
October 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
ewu, jmu, and cal poly all have solid cases (presuming CP wins), and I don't think anyone would begrudge someone for continuing to vote for NDSU. If wofford comes back, they will probably have the best case, however.

I figure many teams will be getting #1 votes this week, its absolutely wide open, particularly if wofford loses.

theasushow
October 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wofford down 17-6 now with 8:00 in the game....gonna be tough to win with their time consuming offense. Looking more like 4 out of top 5 will end up with a loss....sigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
ewu, jmu, and cal poly all have solid cases (presuming CP wins), and I don't think anyone would begrudge someone for continuing to vote for NDSU. If wofford comes back, they will probably have the best case, however.

I figure many teams will be getting #1 votes this week, its absolutely wide open, particularly if wofford loses.

EWU is going to be my #1.

ASUMountaineer
October 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Come on WoCo, get it together!

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
There have been some major upsets today.

Sycamores over NDSU
'Nova over ODU
GA State over URI (GA State over anyone is an upset)

I don't know about JMU for #1 - they barely beat a Towson team that hasn't been repeating last year's success, and today barely scraped by a struggling W&M team.

The winner of GaSou vs Wofford might have a potential claim to #1, but I'd be tempted to vote for Illinois State myself - only one loss to a possibly underrated SIU team, and they just took out a very solid YSU.

HailSzczur
October 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
How far to drop 1,2, and 3 is my question. Montana St lost to another Top 10 team in EWU. NDSU shouldn't fall very far I don't think. ODU could take a hit though after getting handled, there will certainly be cries of them being over rated.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
There have been some major upsets today.

Sycamores over NDSU
'Nova over ODU
GA State over URI (GA State over anyone is an upset)

I don't know about JMU for #1 - they barely beat a Towson team that hasn't been repeating last year's success, and today barely scraped by a struggling W&M team.

The winner of GaSou vs Wofford might have a potential claim to #1, but I'd be tempted to vote for Illinois State myself - only one loss to a possibly underrated SIU team, and they just took out a very solid YSU.

Barely winning is still winning. I would much rather have barely won today. JMU will be my #1. Can't put NDSU lower than 3 though.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
My top 5 as of right now:

#1 Georgia Southern
#2 James Madison
#3 Sam Houston (if they win tonight)
#4 North Dakota State
#5 Eastern Washington

Youre gonna see a lot of teams from the bottom half moving up pretty significantly most likely

MTfan4life
October 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
My top 5 as of right now:

#1 Georgia Southern
#2 James Madison
#3 Sam Houston (if they win tonight)
#4 North Dakota State
#5 Eastern Washington

Youre gonna see a lot of teams from the bottom half moving up pretty significantly most likely

Where was Eastern Washington ranked before this weekend?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Barely winning is still winning. I would much rather have barely won today. JMU will be my #1. Can't put NDSU lower than 3 though.

NDSU has built up enough equity that they should get somewhat of a free pass after a close loss.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I had them #9 on my week 6 ballot

theasushow
October 13th, 2012, 07:36 PM
NDSU has built up enough equity that they should get somewhat of a free pass after a close loss.

define "free pass", top 3? top 5? top 10? Montana State lost to a much higher ranked EWU (as compared to ISU's ranking) team by only 3. Although their overall resume is not as impressive as NDSU.

mountaineerman
October 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
#1ewu
#2jmu
#3ndsu
#4gsu
#5calpoly

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
define "free pass", top 3? top 5? top 10? Montana State lost to a much higher ranked EWU (as compared to ISU's ranking) team by only 3. Although their overall resume is not as impressive as NDSU.

I think Top 5 would be justified given the goings on this week. You can lose a game, or two, and still be end up being the best team.

Montana State is a solid team but never did I think they were the #2 team in the country.With that said, even in defeat they proved they were better than I was given them credit for, #12. I'll like have them just inside the Top 10 this week.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
all of the top 5 that lost today will still be inside the top 10 more than likely on my ballot tomorrow

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I will have EWU right up there.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
#1ewu
#2jmu
#3ndsu
#4gsu
#5calpoly

Looking at it again EWU probably has earned #1. I still think Illinois State deserves a spot in the top 5 though.

UNIFanSince1983
October 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Looking at it again EWU probably has earned #1. I still think Illinois State deserves a spot in the top 5 though.

Other than beat what appears to be an overrated YSU team today what has Illinois State done, and don't give me the EMU win...

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Now that every "top team" has a loss, you have to take a good look at their entire body of work for the season. Being past the halfway point, what happened last season matters less and less.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I know somebody has to be #1, but not sure EWU deserves it. We played like CRAP on offenses... our D and ST gave us the win tonight. Top 3? I'll take it! :D

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Other than beat what appears to be an overrated YSU team today what has Illinois State done, and don't give me the EMU win...

A FBS win is a FBS win. YSU might have been slightly over rated, but is still a solid top 10-15 team. Granted, Illinois State's toughest part of the schedule is still ahead, but as their record stands right now they've earned a spot near the top.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2012, 08:24 PM
NAU has as good a case for top 5 as any team in the country

dbackjon
October 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
A FBS win is a FBS win. YSU might have been slightly over rated, but is still a solid top 10-15 team. Granted, Illinois State's toughest part of the schedule is still ahead, but as their record stands right now they've earned a spot near the top.
NAU has a better resume right now than Illinois State

jmufan
October 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM
A lot of top teams in both FBS and FCS went down today, a crazy day of football for sure. Tribe gave JMU a scare and it is a W, so that counts toward a playoff spot. Tribe is going to upset some teams, they are very good. The ball just hasn't bounced their way yet.

JALMOND
October 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM

If they played on the road and given how the day went, I would agree with you. But losing at home to a team outside the top 25, I don't see the reasoning of giving them a "free pass".

frozennorth
October 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Cal poly
Ndsu
Ewu
Sbu
Jmu

will be my top 5 at this point. I'm still of the opinion that ndsu is easily the most talented team in the fcs, but CP hasn't shown themselves to break under pressure yet.

mmiller_34
October 13th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'd have to take some time to focus in on what happened in other conferences tomorrow... but after the MVFC games today my rough draft of MVFC teams is this:

NDSU, between 3-5
Illinois State, between 10-15
Youngstown State, immediately behind Illinois State
South Dakota State, between 10-15
Indiana State, between 15-20

Southern Illinois would be knocking on the door if they continue this mid-season burst.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
NAU has a better resume right now than Illinois State

Close win against UNLV for NAU vs dominating win against EMU for ISU, and one of NAU's wins is vs a D2 while one of ISU's is vs a PFL team. It's close, but I'd still give the nod to ISU with 6 D1 wins (including one FBS) vs NAU with 4 D1 wins (including one FBS).

Thundar
October 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Same could have been said about Montana st for several weeks, but I agree

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I know somebody has to be #1, but not sure EWU deserves it. We played like CRAP on offenses... our D and ST gave us the win tonight. Top 3? I'll take it! :D

Ditto for JMU. The Dukes have still not played up to their potential and are fortunate to be 5-1 at this point. I really thought the offense was going to click this year, but I am not seeing it from Sr. QB Justin Thorpe. His decision making skills have not really improved over the years and I am not sure whether to be happy or concerned about his 6th year of eligibility to play next season.

On D, our secondary is playing great in coverage but cannot make a play on the ball to save their lives. The only time they did tonight was on the failed 2-point conversion in 2OT. Our D-line was not its usual self and has struggled to really break through with the kind of pressure you expect from a top 5 team.

Special Teams is great though with a stellar punting game, excellent FG kicker (missed 48-yd in the wind today, but otherwise solid all year), and generally good coverage on kick/punt returns.

Long way to go, but glad to be 5-1 for now and in the driver's seat, but the coaches need to light a fire in this team if they want to be playing home playoffs games.

Congrats to W&M for playing a much better game today. Your place kicker gave this one to JMU. xpeacex

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Why should Wofford drop from the top 5 for losing on the road, while people think NDSU should get a free pass for losing at home?

My top 5:
1. James Madison
2. EWU
3. Cal Poly assuming they hold on
4. Georgia Southern
5. Northern Arizona

UNH Fanboi
October 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
JMU is not a top 5 team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
You can't make snap judgement based on one week. Very rarely does the national champ end up undefeated. At this point in the season you need to have some faith in some teams even in defeat. There's a core group of teams that I trust, NDSU, GSU, JMU, EWU, Cal Poly and SBU. MSU even in a loss, Illinois St and App St are getting there.

frozennorth
October 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Why should Wofford drop from the top 5 for losing on the road, while people think NDSU should get a free pass for losing at home?

My top 5:
1. James Madison
2. EWU
4. Georgia Southern
5. Northern Arizona

I watched NAU today. Based on what I saw, not a top5 team. Top15, sure

GreatAppSt
October 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM
MS goes to #6 NDSU is #7 and ODU my new #9.

jmufan
October 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Ditto for JMU. The Dukes have still not played up to their potential and are fortunate to be 5-1 at this point. I really thought the offense was going to click this year, but I am not seeing it from Sr. QB Justin Thorpe. His decision making skills have not really improved over the years and I am not sure whether to be happy or concerned about his 6th year of eligibility to play next season.

On D, our secondary is playing great in coverage but cannot make a play on the ball to save their lives. The only time they did tonight was on the failed 2-point conversion in 2OT. Our D-line was not its usual self and has struggled to really break through with the kind of pressure you expect from a top 5 team.

Special Teams is great though with a stellar punting game, excellent FG kicker (missed 48-yd in the wind today, but otherwise solid all year), and generally good coverage on kick/punt returns.

Long way to go, but glad to be 5-1 for now and in the driver's seat, but the coaches need to light a fire in this team if they want to be playing home playoffs games.

Congrats to W&M for playing a much better game today. Your place kicker gave this one to JMU. xpeacex

I'll take the W. 2 more wins and we are playoff eligible. Richmond could be another big test for JMU. Seems like UR is starting to play well. The offense will be there, I have faith. Tribe is better than what many think, I thought they played extremely well and really disrupted the Dukes offense and defense tonight. We were also without 3 players tonight at one point on D. JMU played two tough defensive teams that had a really good running back. #3 for Tribe is the deal, very good. JMU will be there. Also, apparently several players were battling sickness.

polsongrizz
October 13th, 2012, 11:28 PM

My top 5:
1. James Madison
2. EWU
4. Georgia Southern
5. Northern Arizona
How do you move Cal Poly from 15 to 3 with a win over a team that has one win over a D-II team? Same for NAU at 16?

LakesBison
October 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM
NDSU IS STILL #1 THEY GAVE UP 3 DAM POINTS NDSU O COORD SUCKS.....STILL #1 THOUGH

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2012, 11:47 PM
How do you move Cal Poly from 15 to 3 with a win over a team that has one win over a D-II team? Same for NAU at 16?

I think both are more deserving than Stony Brook, Lehigh, and I don't think any of the teams in the top 5 that lost today should be in the top 5.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM
NDSU IS STILL #1 THEY GAVE UP 3 DAM POINTS NDSU O COORD SUCKS.....STILL #1 THOUGH

#1 Choke artists.

T-Dog
October 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Eastern Washington is my #1 whether they like it or not.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I think both are more deserving than Stony Brook, Lehigh, and I don't think any of the teams in the top 5 that lost today should be in the top 5.

Stony Brook is the real deal this year. I think SBU and Albany are going to surprise a lot of the CAA folks who thought the addition of those teams would water down the league.

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Funny.

Last year #1 GSU lost to #5 App State on the road by 1 score. We dropped to #5. That hurt us when it came time for seeding and ended up being the catalyst that sent us to NDSU in the playoffs.

This year, #1 NDSU loses to unranked Indiana State at home and they should stay top 3?

I don't get it.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Funny.

Last year #1 GSU lost to #5 App State on the road by 1 score. We dropped to #5. That hurt us when it came time for seeding and ended up being the catalyst that sent us to NDSU in the playoffs.

This year, #1 NDSU loses to unranked Indiana State at home and they should stay top 3?

I don't get it.

GaSou wasn't the defending champs last year. While giving consideration for accomplishments last year might not be right in all occasions, I'm willing to cut the defending champs a break if they're generally playing well the next year.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Also, NDSU has an FBS victory.

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Also, NDSU has an FBS victory.

Wish we could schedule a game with some of those weak FBS teams like they do.

It's awesome playing at places like Alabama....but man....

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Wish we could schedule a game with some of those weak FBS teams like they do.

It's awesome playing at places like Alabama....but man....

Beating an FBS team doesn't automatically make you a good team. Colorado State is pretty bad.

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Beating an FBS team doesn't automatically make you a good team. Colorado State is pretty bad.

Well apparently that's something that can keep in you the top 3 if you lose to an unranked team at home.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM

I'd consider any FBS win to be at least as good as a ranked FCS win. A BCS win trumps any FCS win in my book.

I realize Colorado state isn't FBS btw, just saying...

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Do what now?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I'd consider any FBS win to be at least as good as a ranked FCS win. A BCS win trumps any FCS win in my book.

In some cases you are right. A team that is a cellar-dweller in a non-BCS conference is probably not equivalent.

Just remember all the FCS teams that have won FBS games and failed to make the playoffs. The Big South had two teams win FBS games in 2010 that didn't make the playoffs. Sac. State beat Oregon State recently and didn't make the playoffs, and Indy State beat the second place Sun Belt team last year and didn't make the playoffs.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Do what now?

Blargh. I meant BCS, not FBS.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM
In some cases you are right. A team that is a cellar-dweller in a non-BCS conference is probably not equivalent.

Just remember all the FCS teams that have won FBS games and failed to make the playoffs. The Big South had two teams win FBS games in 2010 that didn't make the playoffs. Sac. State beat Oregon State recently and didn't make the playoffs, and Indy State beat the second place Sun Belt team last year and didn't make the playoffs.

The rest of the season has to back up the win of course. Sac State beat Oregon State on the way to a 4-7 season. That record wouldn't have been playoff worthy even if they'd beat Alabama. When comparing two teams that are both 5-1 though, and one team has a FBS win while the other doesn't, I am going to be inclined to rank the team with the FBS win above the team without unless the quality of the other wins is completely different.

wmmii
October 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Top 5

JMU
George Southern
Eastern Wash
North Dakota St
Montana State

All were in my pre season top 6 but think JMU is a weak #1

dbackjon
October 14th, 2012, 01:15 AM

Because they shouldn't have been rated that Low in the first place

Kegerator
October 14th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Voters stubbornly kept UNI and Montana ranked too high just on reputation, willing to make excuses for losses, so my assumption is that NDSU won't drop out of the top three. Maybe they are top three, probably are, but at this point they're not even first in their own conference.

seantaylor
October 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM
JMU is not a top 5 team. ODU was the most overrated team in history, so them losing is no surprise. NDSU game was surprising. Toss up between GSU and EWU for top spot.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM
JMU is not a top 5 team. ODU was the most overrated team in history, so them losing is no surprise. NDSU game was surprising. Toss up between GSU and EWU for top spot.

If it's only down to those two, then EWU in a landslide, as we don't have a bad loss. I'd say it's between EWU (5-1, 4pt loss to Wazzu), Cal Poly (6-0, win over Wyoming), or JMU (5-1, loss to BCS#9 WVU).

frozennorth
October 14th, 2012, 05:05 AM
JMU is not a top 5 team. ODU was the most overrated team in history, so them losing is no surprise. NDSU game was surprising. Toss up between GSU and EWU for top spot. that citadel game must have been purged from history already. NDSU lost to a team that is 5-2.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM

LOL...we still piss-pounded GSU.....and can do it again....

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Voters stubbornly kept UNI and Montana ranked too high just on reputation, willing to make excuses for losses, so my assumption is that NDSU won't drop out of the top three. Maybe they are top three, probably are, but at this point they're not even first in their own conference.

A lot of conference season left to go. Your team still has to come to Fargo, go to UNI, go to SIU, play YSU and a 'rival' game with USD. I doubt the Jacks go 5-0 in those games.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
A lot of conference season left to go. Your team still has to come to Fargo, go to UNI, go to SIU, play YSU and a 'rival' game with USD. I doubt the Jacks go 5-0 in those games.

I doubt the Jacks go 3-2 in those games.

paward
October 14th, 2012, 08:37 AM
This poll took me a record one hour to do. I am late for church.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
How far to drop 1,2, and 3 is my question. Montana St lost to another Top 10 team in EWU. NDSU shouldn't fall very far I don't think. ODU could take a hit though after getting handled, there will certainly be cries of them being over rated.

Montana State's been biding time all year, EWU beating them was no upset... thank goodness for the playoffs as several teams could make a case to be ranked #1 right now.... I would guess EWU

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2012, 09:05 AM

First of all, what the heck does that have to do with anything? I'm simply saying that Colorado State is not a good non-BCS FBS team. Since losing to you they have lost every game they have played by double digits. I'm simply stating that people tend to read into wins over bad FBS teams way too much, and I have provided specific examples.

Second, you did not "piss-pound" us, unless you consider outscoring us 15-0 in the fourth quarter when we were in desperation mode a beating. We could have continued to play our game and lost by 10 or so, but we play to win and not to avoid blowout losses.

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Nice negative rep for me stating a pure observation.

That loss yesterday got you butthurt a little? Let me guess, you're one of the people that already bought championship tickets huh?

blueballs
October 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM

... Which means absolutely nothing in 2012; different teams, different players, different circumstances, different year.

More to the point though... It seems like some FCS teams receive extra credit for FBS wins against weak teams while other FCS teams are penalized for losing to elite FBS teams- see last year's seedings for a glaring example.

superman7515
October 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM

That loss yesterday got you butthurt a little? Let me guess, you're one of the people that already bought championship tickets huh?

Wait wait wait... You actually got negative rep for that?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.toplessrobot.com/crying-baby.jpg

Sent you postitive reppies. Mine are worth more than his, so you come out a winner. Haha

tingly
October 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I'd have put EWU #1 unless I found that keeping NDSU there made enough sense. I thought there would be a lot more undefeated teams after today. Looks like Harvard will eventually be the only survivor. Cal Poly, Lehigh and Tenn. State are the others.

McNeese75
October 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM

I don't get it.

Nothing to get. NDSU lost to an unranked team and deserve to take the hit in the poll (and not just to #3 either) just like everyone else does. They have plenty of season left to work their way back up.

DSUrocks07
October 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Sent you postitive reppies. Mine are worth more than his, so you come out a winner. Haha

Same here. He's getting a 2-for-1 deal, well in this case more like 12-to-1.

jmufan
October 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Very true. JMU beat VT and they ended the year 6-5 in 2010.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM
First of all, what the heck does that have to do with anything? I'm simply saying that Colorado State is not a good non-BCS FBS team. Since losing to you they have lost every game they have played by double digits. I'm simply stating that people tend to read into wins over bad FBS teams way too much, and I have provided specific examples.

Second, you did not "piss-pound" us, unless you consider outscoring us 15-0 in the fourth quarter when we were in desperation mode a beating. We could have continued to play our game and lost by 10 or so, but we play to win and not to avoid blowout losses.

35-7 and holding the triple-option that ran for over 300+ against Alabama to 180 something.....ya, we did.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Any win over a FBS school that has 22 more schollies is a good win.

Twentysix
October 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Or 21-0 in the 2nd half, or 7-0 in the first quarter.

GSU 0 7 0 0
NDSU 7 7 6 15

xlolx

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 03:58 PM
35-7 and holding the triple-option that ran for over 300+ against Alabama to 180 something.....ya, we did.

What relevance does that have in the 2012 FCS polling ?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM

+1

The Eagle's Cliff
October 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM

None. Like other schools, defeating Georgia Southern is the biggest signature win for their program. Bigger than the NC and certainly bigger than beating up on the hapless Gophers.

Some Bison fans will be riding high on that victory for a long time

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Nothing. Just pointing out why I said that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM
None. Like other schools, defeating Georgia Southern is the biggest signature win for their program. Bigger than the NC and certainly bigger than beating up on the hapless Gophers.

Sure...go with that.

Twentysix
October 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM

xlolx

Sagarin says NDSU is still #1 #56 overall. EWU #2 #80 overall.

FargoBison
October 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
1. EWU
2. JMU
3. NDSU
4. GSU
5. Cal Poly

There is no clear cut #1 in my mind but EWU is good enough for now since they have no FCS losses and winning at Bozeman is not easy. While I'm not sure JMU is better than NDSU, I'm going to with it for now since they have no FCS losses. GSU has a bad loss so I'll stick them at #4 and Cal Poly is undefeated with an FBS win(but they also haven't really played anyone yet).

I'm not sure what GSU fans are squawking about, your team has lost to an unranked team and that team will be unranked again next week. ISUB will be ranked.

Eagle22
October 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM
1. EWU
2. JMU
3. NDSU
4. GSU
5. Cal Poly

There is no clear cut #1 in my mind but EWU is good enough for now since they have no FCS losses and winning at Bozeman is not easy. While I'm not sure JMU is better than NDSU, I'm going to with it for now since they have no FCS losses. GSU has a bad loss so I'll stick them at #4 and Cal Poly is undefeated with an FBS win(but they also haven't really played anyone yet).

I'm not sure what GSU fans are squawking about, your team has lost to an unranked team and that team will be unranked again next week. ISUB will be ranked.

If you can't see a difference between losing to an unranked team on the road (in Week 2, first conference game of the year) vs. losing to an unranked team at home mid-season ... then there is no helping you ;)

Now, to be perfectly clear ... I am not suggesting that GSU should be ranked number 1, nor am I even suggesting that GSU should be ranked above NDSU ... someone else with a more objective opinion can determine that.

But I am objective enough to know that any team ranked #1 in the country, losing at home to an unranked team .... should fall more than 2 spots ... independent of what else happens in FCS land.

How far would you drop Wofford for losing to a team ranked just two spots behind it ? Starting to see the point yet ?

FargoBison
October 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM
For one thing when a loss happens doesn't really matter to me, I rank teams on their body of work and not what they did last week. That said I had ISUB ranked so this whole unranked vs ranked discussion doesn't really matter to me anyway.

HensRock
October 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
4 of my top 5 won on Saturday - and 7 of my Top 10.

NDSU will still be my #1.
Ask yourself if you would be willing to bet on your #1 against the Bison on a neutral field.

MSUBobcat
October 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Ask yourself if you would be willing to bet on your #1 against the Bison on a neutral field.

I'd be willing to put the Eagles (EWU that is) up against the Bison on a neutral field. Our D shut down their high powered offense much like I'd expect the Bison to, but they also found other ways to score and limited our offense, which I think is more dangerous (at our house at least) than the Bison's (overall).

eaglesrback
October 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM

You can bet your butt I would! I hope we get just that chance..............

MSUBobcat
October 14th, 2012, 08:47 PM
These polls are based on current body of work not where you expect them to finish, are they not? A team that just lost can't be number 1, IMO. I picked the Bison to repeat in Clenz's game, and I still feel somewhat confident about that. That said, my confidence isn't anywhere near as high as it was a few days ago.

JSUBison
October 14th, 2012, 08:59 PM
If you can't see a difference between losing to an unranked team on the road (in Week 2, first conference game of the year) vs. losing to an unranked team at home mid-season ... then there is no helping you ;)

Now, to be perfectly clear ... I am not suggesting that GSU should be ranked number 1, nor am I even suggesting that GSU should be ranked above NDSU ... someone else with a more objective opinion can determine that.

But I am objective enough to know that any team ranked #1 in the country, losing at home to an unranked team .... should fall more than 2 spots ... independent of what else happens in FCS land.

How far would you drop Wofford for losing to a team ranked just two spots behind it ? Starting to see the point yet ?

Un-ban "The Fan" and get him in here to weigh in on this!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
You can bet your butt I would! I hope we get just that chance..............

Just keep hoping some day GSU will beat the Bison. Only two tries so far.

eaglewraith
October 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Just keep hoping some day GSU will beat the Bison. Only two tries so far.

I know you've beaten us pretty good in both meetings, however that 2006 team was the furthest thing from Georgia Southern football that could have played in our uniforms. Celebrating beating us that year is like celebrating beating Ga State, there wasn't much to it.

Vitojr130
October 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Well apparently that's something that can keep in you the top 3 if you lose to an unranked team at home.

This EXACT same thing was said last year when NDSU lost to YSU.
Well, they proceeded to win the only thing that matters when it is all said and done.

Anyways, the only thing I'm getting from reading all these comments is that the top 5 is going to be a cluster***** and crapshoot.

I know you've beaten us pretty good in both meetings, however that 2006 team was the furthest thing from Georgia Southern football that could have played in our uniforms. Celebrating beating us that year is like celebrating beating Ga State, there wasn't much to it.

GSU fans insisted that last years team was the best team they have ever seen produced by a coach and that your triple option was unbeatable. We all remember what happened in the Fargodome on the road to Frisco... "BUTTBAMA!?!?"

Okay I'm done now. If other top 5 teams didn't lose yesterday, I would have no problem dropping NDSU out of the top 5 to somewhere around 6 or 7, but given all the upsets I can't see them dropping below 3rd.

mgbison
October 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM
As long as we win out, we'll be a top 2 seed. I'd go EWU and NDSU #1 and #2 in no particular order. However, still a lot of football to be played.