PDA

View Full Version : best linebacking core in I-AA?

libertyfballer
August 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Who gets your vote for the best group of linebackers in 1-aa?(on one team)

Liberty has the best group on Lb's they have had in a long time certainly not the best in 1aa tho

August 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
hey libertyfballer! Welcome to AGS! There are so many good linebackers this year that a best core is open for big debate... :nod:

Just remember that I-AA is spelled with a roman numeral and capital letters (by NCAA edict) unless you are demeaning us intentionally lke others here despicably do.

douglasdmb
August 2nd, 2006, 01:56 AM
I'd say that Illinois State probably has the best linebacking corps in the Gateway, as they always seem to put out a highly talented group. They've had a linebacker taken in the NFL Draft in each of the past two years, and may have another prospect in Cameron Siskowic, a 1st-team, preseason All-American.

In a very close second, however (at least in the Gateway), would be Missouri State, IMHO. We essentially return 4 starters from last season (one of them was injured very early in the season) and just signed a stud JUCO linebacker who almost signed with the likes of Oregon and Alabama.

The rest of our defense, however...:bang:

GSUSpider
August 2nd, 2006, 05:27 AM
I'd take Richmonds duo of Adam Goloboski and Lance Gray over any 2 lb's in the A10. Both are 4yr starters and have been named all A10 since they were sophmores. Goloboski has even appeared on some AA lists the last two seasons.

Tribe4SF
August 2nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
W&M has a candidate this year, especially where depth is concerned. This group has excellent speed, and all will play interchangeably.

Josh Rutter So 6'3" 230: Lead Tribe in tackles as a Frosh with 109. Tops the chart at ILB.

Chris Ndubueze Sr 6'1" 230: All-A10 in 2004. Missed 2005.

Travis McLaurin Sr 5'11" 240: All-A10 in 2003. Slowed by injuries in 2004, and missed 2005 rehabing.

Trevor McLaurin Sr 5'11" 236: Switched from RB mid2005 and has progressed to start at one OLB.

Mike Pigram So 5'10" 218: Played as a true Frosh in '05, and is on top at the other OLB. Pound-for-pound strongest player with 410 bench.

T.J. O'Neill Jr 6'1" 241: Starter last year who is perfect for 3-4 alignments.

TheTribeHasSpoken
August 2nd, 2006, 07:21 AM
W&M is pretty deep at LB this year, though a loss of Ryan Nickell won't help.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
I think Fordham might take the PL's honor to start the year, until we see how some replacements at the usual suspects perform.

Jag4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
SU is deep at LB also! :nod: The 2 to watch out for might be D.J Brooks & Maurice Runnels. We have many more but those 2 are very good playmakers! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

fuEMO
August 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Good question. Furman has been IAA Linebacker U for years. I think most Furman fans consider this years corps to be one of the deepest and most talented. What's scary is no seniors.

Andrew Jones MLB 5-11, 232 JR. Outplayed William Freeman in 05. Jones has a nose for the ball, and just flat out plays. 129 tackles, including 13 tackles-for-loss, 3.5 sacks, and three pass deflections. Was outstanding in Furman's 14-12 NCAA I-AA first round playoff win over Nicholls State, totaling a career high 16 tackles, including three for-loss.

Keith Boykins MLB 6-0, 236 SO. One of the most highly recruited linebackers to play at Furman offered by Oklahoma St, Cincy and ECU. Keith has the talent but it hasn't clicked. I think he will fall to number 3.

Kyle McKinney MLB 6-, 221 FR. Kyle was impressive in the spring, could be the next Mike Killian type player. If he steps up Kyle will be a big bonus. I think he will be a big surprise.

Brandon Williams WLB 6-1, 236 SO. Brandon will replace Willie Freeman this season. Credited with 50 tackles in 05, including three for-loss...13-tackle performance at Georgia Southern (27-24 loss)...notched five tackles, including two for-loss, in 29-23 NCAA I-AA semifinal playoff loss at Appalachian State.

Hunter Twitty WLB 6-0, 222 SO. Twitty can play any of the linebacker positions. But is listed as 2nd or 3rd at Weakside but the coaches expect him to push strong for PT. In the spring one of the few players that can tackle Felton one on one. Came to Furman as a package with his brother who was more highly recruited (still had offers from UAB and Northwestern) but now considered the steal of that class.

Clifton Dortch WLB 6-1, 218 JR. Will fight it out with Williams and Twitty for WLB. Fast and strong, 405 bench and 308 hang clean. Dortch has been the top special teams player for the last two years. Registered playing time in all 14 games as a backup linebacker and member of special teams...tallied 27 tackles.

Gary Nelson SLB 6-0, 218 JR. 18 Career Starts. Racked up 76 tackles, including 13 for-loss in 05. Had 10 tackles in a 34-31 win over Appalachian State...posted eight stops, including two for-loss, and a half sack versus Hofstra (44-41 2OT win).

Phillip Morris SLB 6-1, 230 FR. Another young player that the coaches love. Strong, physical over 400 bench. Played at Orangeburg-Wilkinson, take note GSU fans, one of your best came from the same school. 188 stops, three interceptions, and seven fumble recoveries as a senior.

Shaun VanRensburg SLB 6-3, 231 FR. Could be the most talented of all Furman linebackers. Shaun is raw but gifted played at Florida powerhouse The Boles School but fractured his wrist in HS and played some time at NG until he recovered. Showed enough potential despite injury to get offers from GaTech, Army, Navy, Florida Atlantic, Wofford, Samford.

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
I normally get all up in arms about grammar or spelling but shouldn't it be "corps" instead of "core"? Just m:twocents: y

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Well if this was 2005 the no-brainer best in I-AA would be Costanzo, Witherspoon and Bennett.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Well if this was 2005 the no-brainer best in I-AA would be Costanzo, Witherspoon and Bennett.

Careful P4L. You are starting to sound like you're living in the glory days of old... that's something normally attributed to that team down I-78.

slostang
August 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Cal Poly would certainly be in the discussion when talking about the best llinebacking corps in I-AA. Kyle Shotwell returns off a 158 tackle year and Justin Peek was All-GWFC last season and soph. Mark Restelli was third on the team with 83 tackles as a Rfr last season. Cal Poly also has some very promising young player backing them up. Cal Poly is a very good defensive team and has produced the last two Buck Buchanan winners.

Canyoncat
August 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Won’t be mentioned as the best, but I am really excited about the line backing corp. for Montana State this year. Very deep, good size, fast and experienced.
Starters:
OLB Clive Lowe 6-3 232 Sr. Extremely athletic LB who has been hurt last two years. If he stays healthy for an entire season look out for a monster Buchanan type of year.
OLB Wil Claggett 6-2 225 Jr transfer from Washington State. Might be the perfect replacement to the departed all conference Nick Marudas.
ILB Epi King 6-0 215 Jr all conference returning starter. Came on real strong starting about midseason as the defense learned the 3-4. With a full year of experience behind him, look for him to take it to the next level.
ILB Bobby Daly 6-1 235 soph. Played very well starting for the injured Mac Mollohan. Has a great nose for the ball. Had an interception vs. North Dakota State, sack forced fumble that resulted in a touchdown vs. Weber State.
Reserves to watch:
OLB Dane Fletcher 6-2 215 Red shirt Fr. Coaches are very high on this very athletic fast young linebacker. Will push Claggett for playing time and starting honors.
OLB Rayshawn Bobo 6-2 220 Jr transfer from Washington State. Will also play some DE in passing situations and will push Lowe for playing time.
LB Dennis Speights 6-0 210 Red shirt Fr. Lots of potential, will have to make mark on special teams and spelling any of the above starters
LB Bryant Matthews 6-0 205 Jr JC transfer. Very fast LB/S that will push any of the above for playing time.

Today they are not known on the national scene, but will be by the end of the year.

catbob
August 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'd put my vote in for Cal Poly.

I'd say in the Sky, it'd be between ISU and MSU.

Correction Canyon:
Will Claggett is from Butte JC, not WSU.

Pauly LB
August 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cal Poly has a very strong corps of linebackers including starters: Kyle Shotwell (158 tackles and possible consideration for this year's Buchanan Award), Justen Peek (All GWFC selection and 47 tackles), and Mark Restelli (RSFr with 83 tackles). Quality backups include Wes Pryor, Danny Rohr, Mark Cordes, Ian Masterson, Jason Relyea, and Kyle Maddux. Cal Poly linebackers combine both strength and speed and contribute greatly to an extremely strong defense.

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
When the smoke clears this season and YSU enters the play-offs, you will see one of the deepest and most talented group of LB anywhere and they will be one of the major reasons for post -season play. The D last year was Nationally ranked in most categories against a formidable schedule. .

Returning are 3rd year starter James Terry , 6'2,225 Jr., a U.Va. transfer , Pre-Season All-GFC pick and sure to have a shot at the next level . Unbelievably fast and vicious .

4th year starter Jeremiah Wright, Sr, 5'10, 215, another burner and hitter ( from Fla.)

3rd year starter Marty Hutchinson, Sr.,6'4, 215 from Youngstown area

Mich St. transfer Maurice Smith-Davis, Jr. 6'1, 245 ( Dad was a Pro) from the Youngstown area

Jeff Koval, Sr, 6'1,225, part -time starter
Mike Barlak, Soph, 6'2, 225 Pittsburgh ( Lettered as a Frosh)
New JUCO LBs Myles Banford 6'2,237 and Rashod Cotton, 6'2, 225, both from Calif.

Plus outstanding Frosh LBers who can't break in this year.

Overall, as a group, this will be one monster set of LBs anywhere.

TheRock21
August 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
All of ya ain't nothin' but a bunch of homers! :D Now App's LB's...... are going to be scary good across the line!:hurray:

mikebigg
August 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
SU is deep at LB also! :nod: The 2 to watch out for might be D.J Brooks & Maurice Runnels. We have many more but those 2 are very good playmakers! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Runnels I agree with..Brooks didn't impress me. I think your defense was coming on and playing well until Runnels went down.

slostang
August 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Cal Poly has a very strong corps of linebackers including starters: Kyle Shotwell (158 tackles and possible consideration for this year's Buchanan Award), Justen Peek (All GWFC selection and 47 tackles), and Mark Restelli (RSFr with 83 tackles). Quality backups include Wes Pryor, Danny Rohr, Mark Cordes, Ian Masterson, Jason Relyea, and Kyle Maddux. Cal Poly linebackers combine both strength and speed and contribute greatly to an extremely strong defense.
You forgot about Rfr Mike Montero. I have heard real good things about him.

ASU Kep
August 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Banks and Smith are going to be NASTY this year for ASU. They're both young, but got some time last year. Even Coach Moore says they might be at least the most athletically gifted group we've had.

Jag4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Runnels I agree with..Brooks didn't impress me. I think your defense was coming on and playing well until Runnels went down.
He might didn't impress you, but he impressed others. You Gram folks! :smh: :smh: :smh:

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Banks and Smith are going to be NASTY this year for ASU. They're both young, but got some time last year. Even Coach Moore says they might be at least the most athletically gifted group we've had.
Kep:

Pierre Banks had a terrible spring and lost his hold on a starting job. He is in DC John Wiley's dog house (probably in LB coach Dale Jones' dog house, too). Right now, the starters are Monte Smith at Bandit, Jacque Roman in the middle and Cam Speer at Will. Banks will probably be Speer's backup.

But all in all, the Mountaineers should have one of the top LB crews in I-AA, complete with quality backups at each spot. Moore is right about the athleticism of this group.

My vote would be for Cal Poly as the best LB group in I-AA. I also liked what I saw of Richmond and Illinois State last year. Another group that gets overlooked is Eastern Kentucky, which had some good last year and traditionally is very strong at LB.

Furman was mentioned earlier and while I like Andrew Jones, I think the rest of the group are suspect, particularly as tacklers. Gary Nelson played rather poorly in the three games I saw Furman play in person last season. He really hurt the Paladins in the loss to Western Carolina.

On Lafayette, I liked what I saw of them whet I watched all of the TV games the past two years, but when I saw them in person in the playoffs, I was not as impressed. I felt like they had a bad day against Appalachian State, particularly Maurice Bennett. But I heard afterwards that Bennett may have been playing injured in the game.

Jag4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
You gone see Mike! :nod: :nod: :nod:

mikebigg
August 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
You gone see Mike! :nod: :nod: :nod:

I saw him last year...he just didn't shed his blocks well. Now the Runnels guy has Sunday potential. But it's kinda tough on run stopping linebackers in the SWAC. We are so pass concious that the linebackers are susceptible to the delayed handoffs etc.

GreatAppSt
August 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
EKU :nod:

FUwolfpacker
August 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
Furman was mentioned earlier and while I like Andrew Jones, I think the rest of the group are suspect, particularly as tacklers. Gary Nelson played rather poorly in the three games I saw Furman play in person last season. He really hurt the Paladins in the loss to Western Carolina.

I agree with you Mr. C. Nelson is a great guy, and an OK linebacker, but he really isn't a very good tackler. Freeman was good, but Jones was our most sure tackler by far. I don't think there is any way anyone can say Furman has the top LB corp. Lots of potential, but potential doesn't make tackles and it doesn't win games. Furman's D will definitely be improved this year though (hard to get much worse than last year...at least in the regular season).

I too will say Cal Poly has the best LB's in the country. In the couple games/highlights I saw of their games, their LB's were making plays all over the place.

Pard4Life
August 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Careful P4L. You are starting to sound like you're living in the glory days of old... that's something normally attributed to that team down I-78.

xlolx I'm just still trying to get everyone to recognize the Pards... plus I think I deserve a 'free pass' on that one... the season and camp hasn't started yet!

But the PL will likely know of Stovall Romans and Heaney soon enough..

Canyoncat
August 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'd put my vote in for Cal Poly.

I'd say in the Sky, it'd be between ISU and MSU.

Correction Canyon:
Will Claggett is from Butte JC, not WSU.

Correction noted. Woops!!! :o

Agree that Cal Poly will probably have the best Line Backing Corp in I-AA. However, watch out for MSU.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
But the PL will likely know of Stovall Romans and Heaney soon enough..

Just starting saying "Tupta" over an over to yourself. Then you'll be right. :thumbsup:

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with you Mr. C. Nelson is a great guy, and an OK linebacker, but he really isn't a very good tackler. Freeman was good, but Jones was our most sure tackler by far. I don't think there is any way anyone can say Furman has the top LB corp. Lots of potential, but potential doesn't make tackles and it doesn't win games. Furman's D will definitely be improved this year though (hard to get much worse than last year...at least in the regular season).

I too will say Cal Poly has the best LB's in the country. In the couple games/highlights I saw of their games, their LB's were making plays all over the place.

I would like to point out that I have a picture on my desktop of Nelson absoultely laying the wood to Chaz Williams of GSU in the 2004 game. I believe it was also Nelson who made the miraculous 4th and 2 goaline stop in the same game.

This is the year for FU linebackers to show if they got the goods or not. They don't have any of the "well knowns" they have had the past few years.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Tupta should do well in the PL. But then, its the PL. But considered too slow for GFC competition , so YSU did not recruit him. Playing at a private school in Ohio, Gilmour Academy, the competition was suspect as well. Has size and some ability.

Hope he has a good career. Ohio kids do well.

GeauxLions94
August 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Southeastern has three pretty solid LBs in Demoris Hardiman (SLC Preseason selection) and JUCO transfers Michael Johnson (1st team All-American) and Tony Richardson.

Saw them in spring drills and they can cover some ground. Definitely the best trio we've had since bringing football back.

Some pretty good backups as well (Ernest Wilkes, Brennen Harris and George Leverette)

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Tupta should do well in the PL. But then, its the PL. But considered too slow for GFC competition , so YSU did not recruit him. Playing at a private school in Ohio, Gilmour Academy, the competition was suspect as well. Has size and some ability.

Cough(****bull*********)Cough

This kid was a I-A recruit of MAC schools who choose academics and playing time. He's not at Youngstown because he's not worthy athletically. :rolleyes:

FYI - PL linebackers do just fine for themselves nationally and in the pros. :twocents:

Champs
August 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Eric Tupta ?? Played at a very small school in Ohio and did NOT attract MAC serious interest. Not even Kent St !!xlolx

Nor YSU.:nod: Too slow.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Eric Tupta ?? Played at a very small school in Ohio and did NOT attract MAC serious interest. Not even Kent St !!xlolx

Nor YSU.:nod: Too slow.
Okey-dokey.:rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh::rotateh ::rotateh::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Colgate's done a pretty darn good job of recruiting and developing linebackers under Biddle. Tupta's going to be a big one.

Pard94
August 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
How'd you guys do in the playoffs last year?

Pard94
August 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Lafayette's Linebacking core last year was generally considered one of the best in the country. Both middle linebackers went on to sign with the Jets and the bears respectively...so once again, yer speaking out of yer arse.

Bisonforlife
August 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
I would have to vote for Cal Poly as the best group of Linebackers in 1AA this year.

fuEMO
August 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Kep:

Pierre Banks had a terrible spring and lost his hold on a starting job. He is in DC John Wiley's dog house (probably in LB coach Dale Jones' dog house, too). Right now, the starters are Monte Smith at Bandit, Jacque Roman in the middle and Cam Speer at Will. Banks will probably be Speer's backup.

But all in all, the Mountaineers should have one of the top LB crews in I-AA, complete with quality backups at each spot. Moore is right about the athleticism of this group.

My vote would be for Cal Poly as the best LB group in I-AA. I also liked what I saw of Richmond and Illinois State last year. Another group that gets overlooked is Eastern Kentucky, which had some good last year and traditionally is very strong at LB.

On Lafayette, I liked what I saw of them whet I watched all of the TV games the past two years, but when I saw them in person in the playoffs, I was not as impressed. I felt like they had a bad day against Appalachian State, particularly Maurice Bennett. But I heard afterwards that Bennett may have been playing injured in the game.

Mr C. I agree that Nelson was hit and miss during the 05 season. But I really can't agree with Brandon Williams being suspect. Brandon fought off a knee injury to have a great freshman season backing up Freeman. 13 tackles against GSU and he played a great game against APP in the playoffs. I think the key to 06 will be the improved play of the Paladin defensive line, I can only hope they keep some bodies off our linebackers. The big positive for Furman is coaching, Steve Wilson has developed more all SoCon performers and All-Americans at linebacker than any other SoCon coach. If he says a player like Hunter Twitty is the real deal I believe him.