PDA

View Full Version : Sic'em Ralph

Cocky
August 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rmelick.ssf?/base/sports/11544237966210.xml&coll=2

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 11:05 PM
I think I beat Ralph to the punch on this one. Here is what I wrote this fine columnist:

Ray:

With all do respect, you might want to get something straight before you write any more columns on Samford. ALL of the players on Samford's roster are Division I players. Samford plays Division I football. You wouldn't refer to Samford basketball or baseball players as something other than Division I players, so why would you write a column like this? The basic difference between I-A and I-AA is in the number of scholarships they are allowed to offer — 63 for I-AA, 85 for I-A. I-AA is cost-containment football, but it is still Division I. It is very disappointing to see a veteran columnist at a major newspaper make such a basic mistake as this. All you had to do was get the I-As and the I-AAs right and you failed at that assignment. As a columnist myself who has covered I-AA football for 14 years (and who was in your state to cover a game a few years ago when I-AA Appalachian State had Auburn on the ropes before losing in the final minute), I expect better from someone who covers college football in one of the most rabid areas of the country for the sport. By the way, Samford AD Bob Roller isn't completely correct in his thought that you have to have a I-A transfer at quarterback to be successful in the playoffs. The starters that led Appalachian State and Northern Iowa to the I-AA championship game last year were both players who had come up through the ranks at their respective schools and had started as freshmen (Eric Sanders of UNI was originally a walk-on). I can only think of two of last year's 16 playoff teams that were quarterbacked by I-A transfers.

August 1st, 2006, 11:12 PM
let me :pumpuke: first and then I'll write an email missive.
Samford suiting up D-1 players
Tuesday, August 01, 2006 by Ray Melick
It's not like Samford isn't used to seeing former Division I football players suited up and on the field in Bulldog games.

"We've seen it a lot," said Samford Athletics Director Bob Roller. "But usually, they're playing for the other team."

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hopefully Ray's column didn't make you even sicker than you already were. Get well quickly, my dear friend.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
I emailed Ray one simple statement:
Hey Ray, why do you think the NCAA lets I-A players play in I-AA without a wait period?...because they are both Division I!..:nod: Understand? If not, please email Ralph at Anygivensaturday.com and he will explain it to you.

rokamortis
August 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Ray, why do you think the NCAA lets I-A players play in I-AA without a wait period?...because they are both Division I!..:nod: Understand? If not, please email Ralph at Anygivensaturday.com and he will explain it to you.

Actually - that's not a correct argument in this case. I-A to I-A transfers must sit out a year but I-A to I-AA, DII, DIII don't. So in this case it reinforces the 'lower' class of I-AA compared to I-A.

Chi Panther
August 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
This thread has me laughing as I can't help but think how educated the poor columnist in Portland, OR now is......LOL

EKU05
August 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah, that actually argues against the case that all of us are trying to make. In that way, the rule affects us in the SAME way as D-II and differently from I-A. I'm not sure why you'd remind an already ignorant columnist of that.

AppGuy04
August 2nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that actually argues against the case that all of us are trying to make. In that way, the rule affects us in the SAME way as D-II and differently from I-A. I'm not sure why you'd remind an already ignorant columnist of that.

well, any education we give him is a good education, b/c he obviously lacks ANY knowledge about I-AA football

EKU05
August 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
I still wouldn't teach a robber how to pick a lock.

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
I got a rather condescinding response back from Ray this morning. He even implied that I probably wasn't really a sportswriter. I let him have it with both barrels when I wrote back to him a second time. What an idiot. He just doesn't get it. I'm glad that the big programs like Alabama and Auburn have this princely fellow around to write about them. I-AA (particularly Samford) certainly doesn't need him.

henfan
August 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I got a rather condescinding response back from Ray this morning. He even implied that I probably wasn't really a sportswriter. I let him have it with both barrels when I wrote back to him a second time. What an idiot. He just doesn't get it. I'm glad that the big programs like Alabama and Auburn have this princely fellow around to write about them. I-AA (particularly Samford) certainly doesn't need him.

Ray surely deserves a DIvvy Award for that masterpiece. I haven't issued one in awhile. Maybe it's time to dust off the trophy.

Retro
August 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM

Send him a copy of the magazine showing your articles!:thumbsup:

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Send him a copy of the magazine showing your articles!:thumbsup:
I'm not sure the old geezer would be able to understand them.

goasu984Life
August 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
How stupid can someone be? I mean really, do some research, dude. It's not that hard.

GeauxColonels
August 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Seriously!!!! Who CARES is he's "not even a sports writer"?!?! As a journalist he should be doing everything he can to ensure the accuracy of his article and, thus, his legitimacy as a reporter.

I think what other people are overlooking though, is that IF he used the same terminology in his discussion with the Samford AD and was not corrected, then he is as much to blame as the writer.

goasu984Life
August 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
I think what other people are overlooking though, is that is he used the same terminology in his discussion with the Samford AD and was not corrected, then he is as much to blame as the writer.

True that
:thumbsup:

Cocky
August 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Bob Roller's email address:

[email protected]

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Roller was the one saying you had to have a I-A transfer at QB to compete in the playoffs. I guess Roller didn't realize that Richie Williams of Appalachian State and Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa were almost completely overlooked as prep recruits, yet led their teams to the I-AA championship game last season.

Cap'n Cat
August 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Advice From Cap'n Cat:

Don't EVER bring this topic up when you're on a 29 hour road trip to New Hampshire with Ralph.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

:p :p :p :p

igo4uni
August 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hopefully Ray's column didn't make you even sicker than you already were. Get well quickly, my dear friend.

You sick Ralph???????? (I mean really sick and not just from this column)

Hope you feel better soon!

IaaScribe
August 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Just something to chew on, and I don't want to be seen as defending the writer, but think about this:

At my shop, my boss and I go round and round about putting Division I-A in stories instead of Division I when the I-AA I cover plays up. He says there's no reason to have the -A after Division I. I keep telling him that, yes, you do have to have it because Division I-AA schools are Division I schools.

He says, "no, they're Division I-AA schools, not Division I." Ugh. Division I-AA schools, by definition, are Division I. It's a simple matter of fact, but he doesn't want to agree with it. He says adding "A" to Division I makes it more confusing, when I argue just the opposite. So I try my damndest to make sure I-A gets in instead of just Division I.

Perhaps it's a matter of style at Melick's paper? I don't know. I'm just relaying what happens at mine.

August 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Just something to chew on, and I don't want to be seen as defending the writer, but think about this:

At my shop, my boss and I go round and round about putting Division I-A in stories instead of Division I when the I-AA I cover plays up. He says there's no reason to have the -A after Division I. I keep telling him that, yes, you do have to have it because Division I-AA schools are Division I schools.

He says, "no, they're Division I-AA schools, not Division I." Ugh. Division I-AA schools, by definition, are Division I. It's a simple matter of fact, but he doesn't want to agree with it. He says adding "A" to Division I makes it more confusing, when I argue just the opposite. So I try my damndest to make sure I-A gets in instead of just Division I.

Perhaps it's a matter of style at Melick's paper? I don't know. I'm just relaying what happens at mine.Exactly why the NCAA legis is so important. How any sports editor could purposefully ignore the correct college football classifications is beyond me. :nonono2:

IaaScribe
August 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Ralph, it's annoying, to say the least. I think he's finally softened on it.

PantherRob82
August 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Advice From Cap'n Cat:

Don't EVER bring this topic up when you're on a 29 hour road trip to New Hampshire with Ralph.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

:p :p :p :p

I will second that motion. Although Ralph can be very informative when you want him to be. :hurray:

August 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Advice From Cap'n Cat:
Don't EVER bring this topic up when you're on a 29 hour road trip to New Hampshire with Ralph.Especially if you don't give crap about I-AA except for your one school. (and/or you're a I-A transfer who never wanted to play I-AA in the first place) xlolx :nod: :p

BEAR
August 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
......c'mon people...my comments were sarcastic..geez...maybe Ralph oughta introduce you guys to me.....:bang: xlolx

.....and yes I know the difference....even a newbie like me...:read: :smiley_wi

August 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
......c'mon people...my comments were sarcastic..geez...maybe Ralph oughta introduce you guys to me.....:bang: xlolx

.....and yes I know the difference....even a newbie like me...:read: :smiley_wiHey guys, meet UCABEAR! :)

Cocky
August 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM

He is on talk radio in B'ham and hates it when people prove him wrong. So a smartxazzx remark is expected. He sent me two for my response.

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Especially if you don't give crap about I-AA except for your one school. (and/or you're a I-A transfer who never wanted to play I-AA in the first place) xlolx :nod: :p
Maybe the NCAA can retroactively take the Captain's eligibility away from him when the "Dustin Long rule" passes. I-A Transfer scum.
:smiley_wi :D xlolx
:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM

Perhaps it's a matter of style at Melick's paper? I don't know. I'm just relaying what happens at mine.
Pretty dumb on the part of your editor IMO. But that's editors for you. Melick's response back to me leads me to believe that Melick was just being a stubborn, old cuss about it. It was arrogance, not newspaper style involved here.

Nice meeting you at the Big South Media Day, BTW.

Cocky
August 3rd, 2006, 07:05 AM
Ray's write up today about the name change.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/115459677075380.xml&coll=2

GeauxColonels
August 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Well, at least he got one thing right.....

It is a subtle slap in the face at the current Division I-A programs, a reminder that their football championships are mythical and not recognized by the NCAA.

dbackjon
August 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Well, at least he got one thing right.....

Indeed he did on that!

BigApp
August 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
DC, how 'bout sending his editor a note, then? Since the editor must be a buffoon too

Mr. C
August 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Ray's write up today about the name change.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/115459677075380.xml&coll=2
No mention of how he got raked over the coals for his last column.:D

August 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
note he got the nomenclature right...

IaaScribe
August 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Pretty dumb on the part of your editor IMO. But that's editors for you. Melick's response back to me leads me to believe that Melick was just being a stubborn, old cuss about it. It was arrogance, not newspaper style involved here.

Nice meeting you at the Big South Media Day, BTW.

Nice meeting you, too.

I figured by the tone of the response he gave you that it was more arrogance, but I thought I'd throw out my story as well.