PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Game - In Africa?

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
This would be something...a game featuring the SWAC champion versus the winner of the CIAA/SIAC "bowl" game featuring the top two HBCUs at the Div II level...

Plans being made for Dec. 25 game played in Africa
By MIKE POTTER, The Herald-Sun
July 28, 2006 12:25 am
http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/nccentral

PETERSBURG, Va. -- N.C. Central or some other CIAA football team could find itself in Africa for Christmas if the sponsors of the proposed Motherland Classic get their wish.

At the CIAA football preseason press conference on Thursday at Virginia State, Commissioner Leon Kerry said there is a plan in the works to have an historically black Division II team take on the champions of the Division I-AA Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) at the national football stadium in Banjul, The Gambia, on Dec. 25.

The sponsor of the game would be the Eddie Robinson Foundation, Kerry said.

The SWAC title game will be held Dec. 16 in Birmingham, Ala. If the sponsors' plan is approved, the SWAC champion would then square off in The Gambia with the winner of the Pioneer Bowl, which will be played on Dec. 2 at Charlotte's Memorial Stadium.

The Pioneer Bowl annually matches the best team from the CIAA and the best team from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) from among those that do not participate in the NCAA Division II playoffs.

"The schools are supposed to receive $75,000 each [from the game in Africa]," Kerry said on Thursday. "We would need a waiver from the NCAA to play that game. They're supposed to let us know something sometime in September."

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/nccentral/40-756418.html

dbackjon
August 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
As stated, the NCAA would have to bend/give waiver for the SWAC to get another game.

ASU Kep
August 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Do they really care about American college football in Africa?

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Do they really care about American college football in Africa?

Do they even care about American college futbol?!? :read:

Not sure, but if they're going to get $750k per conference, may be worth it, eh?

Retro
August 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM
It would cost them a fortune to fly those teams over there not to mention all the equipment needed to run the game, because i doubt there is anything american football related to use...
That's why on NFL teams play games out of country.. They have millions to cover costs.. You never see college teams because regardless of whose paying, it won't be much after expenses are all accounted for.

bjtheflamesfan
August 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM
Let us not forget that Notre Dame played a game in Ireland years ago

biobengal
August 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
In the 80's Idaho State played Utah State in Japan. A strange meeting between schools that are only seperated by about an hour and a half.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
It would cost them a fortune to fly those teams over there not to mention all the equipment needed to run the game, because i doubt there is anything american football related to use...
That's why on NFL teams play games out of country.. They have millions to cover costs.. You never see college teams because regardless of whose paying, it won't be much after expenses are all accounted for.All expenses will be paid by the sponsers.:nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
August 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Another precedent is the Ivy League: I beleive Harvard and Princeton participated in a "bowl" game in Japan not all that long ago as well.

(They're willing to disrupt their student-athletes' lives to fly to Japan, but when it comes to the I-AA playoffs... :rolleyes: but I'm veering off-topic...)

I know next to nothing about The Gambia, but would they have the right facilities to host such an event? It would have to be in a soccer stadium retrofitted for football, for starters. What about locker rooms? Hotels? Practice fields?

Personally I'm not sure about flying kids halfway across the world to play football. When the NFL does it it's one thing -- they're a pro league trying to export a product. But what would be the goal of the NCAA in this aside from giving a few coaches and players a paid vacation? To recruit in The Gambia? To expand NCAA football? The goals are less clear.

If it's not even a moneymaking operation for the school, what's the point?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
This was posted on The Swac Page by someone affiliated with the event.

1) Eddie Robinson's Motherland Classic will be presented by The Eddie Robinson Foundation. We are preparing a game for HBCU's that will finally be representative of the true legacy and pagentry that our product has to offer. For years, when we hosted Eddie Robinson's Football Classic, the question was always on why we hosted Div 1-A schools when my grandfather only coached at Grambling...what were we going to do for HBCU football? Then FAMU decided to go D1A and we were literally at the table signing our deal to have them play in the game when we got the call that they would remain D-1AA. Africa makes perfect sense for us because it takes the pressure off of the expendible dollar of the African-American Family. For those that have the dollars to join us, they will. For those that do not, they can make plans to watch and enjoy this incredible history making-event on TV on Christmas Day.

2) The actual payout for the Conferences is $750K not $75.

3) The Motherland Classic staff will travel the country this football season to scout the games of all conferences. As it is with the BCS over the course of the season, teams will begin to self-eliminate which will allow us an opportunity to narrow our scope in the selection. Those teams that are still in the hunt after a select date will then be processed for passports. Those teams that win their conference championship games will be processed for their respective shots.

4) This historic event has been in the works for quite a while and is at the highest levels of the US and Gambian governments. The logistics; entertainment; respective leadership, educational, and health summits; as well as the once in a lifetime tours to the literal home of Kunte Kinte...you can't even begin to imagine the impact this will have on the lives of our young students!

5) Eddie Robinson was the first to take American Football and sports to Japan. 2006 commemorates the 30th Anniversary of his having convinced Temple to play Grambling in the Pioneer Bowl. (I'm sure many of you remember or maybe were even a part of that trip). Now in that wake sail the NFL, PGA, NBA, NASCAR, and many others. Through his Foundation, we will blaze a new trail to allow others to follow. The ERF was created to continue what the coach started...Eddie Robinson's Motherland Classic is going to completely change Black College Football forever!

MACHIAVELLI
August 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
The ICON played Morgan in 1976 (I believe that this was the first out of country game between American football teams) in Japan. The following year THE ICON played Temple in Japan.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
The ICON played Morgan in 1976 (I believe that this was the first out of country game between American football teams) in Japan. The following year THE ICON played Temple in Japan.
One of the many reasons Gram is considered a Icon.:thumbsup:

SU Jag
August 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

1) Eddie Robinson's Motherland Classic will be presented by The Eddie Robinson Foundation. We are preparing a game for HBCU's that will finally be representative of the true legacy and pagentry that our product has to offer. For years, when we hosted Eddie Robinson's Football Classic, the question was always on why we hosted Div 1-A schools when my grandfather only coached at Grambling...what were we going to do for HBCU football? Then FAMU decided to go D1A and we were literally at the table signing our deal to have them play in the game when we got the call that they would remain D-1AA. Africa makes perfect sense for us because it takes the pressure off of the expendible dollar of the African-American Family. For those that have the dollars to join us, they will. For those that do not, they can make plans to watch and enjoy this incredible history making-event on TV on Christmas Day.

2) The actual payout for the Conferences is $750K not $75.

3) The Motherland Classic staff will travel the country this football season to scout the games of all conferences. As it is with the BCS over the course of the season, teams will begin to self-eliminate which will allow us an opportunity to narrow our scope in the selection. Those teams that are still in the hunt after a select date will then be processed for passports. Those teams that win their conference championship games will be processed for their respective shots.

4) This historic event has been in the works for quite a while and is at the highest levels of the US and Gambian governments. The logistics; entertainment; respective leadership, educational, and health summits; as well as the once in a lifetime tours to the literal home of Kunte Kinte...you can't even begin to imagine the impact this will have on the lives of our young students!

5) Eddie Robinson was the first to take American Football and sports to Japan. 2006 commemorates the 30th Anniversary of his having convinced Temple to play Grambling in the Pioneer Bowl. (I'm sure many of you remember or maybe were even a part of that trip). Now in that wake sail the NFL, PGA, NBA, NASCAR, and many others. Through his Foundation, we will blaze a new trail to allow others to follow. The ERF was created to continue what the coach started...Eddie Robinson's Motherland Classic is going to completely change Black College Football forever!

I'm speachless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Stay tuned for SU Jag's comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. C
August 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM

5) Eddie Robinson was the first to take American Football and sports to Japan. 2006 commemorates the 30th Anniversary of his having convinced Temple to play Grambling in the Pioneer Bowl. (I'm sure many of you remember or maybe were even a part of that trip). Now in that wake sail the NFL, PGA, NBA, NASCAR, and many others. Through his Foundation, we will blaze a new trail to allow others to follow. The ERF was created to continue what the coach started...Eddie Robinson's Motherland Classic is going to completely change Black College Football forever![/B]
Saying Eddie Robinson was the first to take American sports to Japan is simply ludicrous. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were part of a baseball tour to Japan in the 1930s (which led to the start of the Japanese professional baseball league) and other lesser names did the same earlier on (I'm actually working on a book about some of the American-Japanese baseball connections, its in the research stages right now). College football, Robinson deserves some credit, anything else, sorry.

gram4life
August 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Saying Eddie Robinson was the first to take American sports to Japan is simply ludicrous. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were part of a baseball tour to Japan in the 1930s (which led to the start of the Japanese professional baseball league) and other lesser names did the same earlier on (I'm actually working on a book about some of the American-Japanese baseball connections, its in the research stages right now). College football, Robinson deserves some credit, anything else, sorry.

out of all that you find this, LOL

Mr. C
August 3rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
out of all that you find this, LOL
Don't take this personally. When something is inaccurate, I am going to correct it, if I can.:cool:

gram4life
August 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Don't take this personally. When something is inaccurate, I am going to correct it, if I can.:cool:

I didn't I just commented on it.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Playing a game in an industrialized European or Asian country is no big deal - there are no problems with facilities, locker rooms, hotel accomodations, and food. But playing in The Gambia will pose tons of problems. All members of the travelling party will need vaccinations, for example, against hepatitis and malaria depending how long they are staying there. Both teams will need to practice somewhere, with equipment - are they going to fly everything over? I'm assuming it's on natural grass - will it hold for a football game, which generally has more impact than soccer?

And I go back to - what does it really bring HBCU's and college football in the long run? More recruits from The Gambia? No doubt it's a neat idea, but to me it sounds more like a boondoggle where money could be better spent in other ways. :twocents:

Catmendue2
August 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Playing a game in an industrialized European or Asian country is no big deal - there are no problems with facilities, locker rooms, hotel accomodations, and food. But playing in The Gambia will pose tons of problems. All members of the travelling party will need vaccinations, for example, against hepatitis and malaria depending how long they are staying there. Both teams will need to practice somewhere, with equipment - are they going to fly everything over? I'm assuming it's on natural grass - will it hold for a football game, which generally has more impact than soccer?

And I go back to - what does it really bring HBCU's and college football in the long run? More recruits from The Gambia? No doubt it's a neat idea, but to me it sounds more like a boondoggle where money could be better spent in other ways. :twocents:

It good you are where you are and that opinions are just that. My:twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
August 4th, 2006, 10:35 AM
And I go back to - what does it really bring HBCU's and college football in the long run? More recruits from The Gambia?

What did the others schools gain by playing in Japan and the other places that were mentioned? What did it do for college football in the long run?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
What did the others schools gain by playing in Japan and the other places that were mentioned? What did it do for college football in the long run?

My point exactly. What did Harvard gain by playing in Osaka? My answer: IMO, not much.

It's different if you're the NFL, MLB, or even English premiership soccer and playing in other countries, since you're promoting your brand and (presumably) making money on the deal. But I'm puzzled as to why the Ivy or SWAC would do it. Taking the Ivy example, how many Japanese teens saw the game and said, "that's it, I'm going to Harvard" after watching the game?

The athletic staffs and student-athletes get a nice trip out of the deal, which isn't to be taken lightly. Maybe that helps in recruiting back home, too. But I maintain the costs and hassles - especially playing in Africa and not an industrialized country - may not be worth it.

flexbone
August 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Nothing. I think that is the point !!!!

dbackjon
August 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
My point exactly. What did Harvard gain by playing in Osaka? My answer: IMO, not much.

It's different if you're the NFL, MLB, or even English premiership soccer and playing in other countries, since you're promoting your brand and (presumably) making money on the deal. But I'm puzzled as to why the Ivy or SWAC would do it. Taking the Ivy example, how many Japanese teens saw the game and said, "that's it, I'm going to Harvard" after watching the game?

The athletic staffs and student-athletes get a nice trip out of the deal, which isn't to be taken lightly. Maybe that helps in recruiting back home, too. But I maintain the costs and hassles - especially playing in Africa and not an industrialized country - may not be worth it.

I think we are missing some of the points of proposed game - it sounds more like a JFK moment - ask not what Gambia can do for you, but what can the game do for Gambia.

Most non-African countries have benefited greatly from their immigrants - immigrants that generally stayed connected with the home country for at least one or more generations, and sent money/knowledge/tourism back home. Because of the nature of the forced migration (slave trade), there has been little benefit until recently of that immigration in Africa.

Exposing The Gambia/West Africa to the teams, traveling alumni, and the TV audience back home could boost tourism/investment in the region. When the NFL/MLB etc plays games overseas, it's goal is growing it's market share world-wide. As stated, there is not much of a CURRENT market to gain in West Africa, but the potential for The Gambia to benefit is huge.

Colleges are supposed to be about education - and exposing our future leaders to a wide-range of experiences. This game would accomplish that - giving the students an experience that could not be duplicated in the U.S.

NorthDakotaBison
August 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I think it's a great idea.

The U.S. needs to strengthen its relationship with Africa. This is an extremely small event in the scheme of things, but it is something.

MACHIAVELLI
August 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I think we are missing some of the points of proposed game - it sounds more like a JFK moment - ask not what Gambia can do for you, but what can the game do for Gambia.

Most non-African countries have benefited greatly from their immigrants - immigrants that generally stayed connected with the home country for at least one or more generations, and sent money/knowledge/tourism back home. Because of the nature of the forced migration (slave trade), there has been little benefit until recently of that immigration in Africa.

Exposing The Gambia/West Africa to the teams, traveling alumni, and the TV audience back home could boost tourism/investment in the region. When the NFL/MLB etc plays games overseas, it's goal is growing it's market share world-wide. As stated, there is not much of a CURRENT market to gain in West Africa, but the potential for The Gambia to benefit is huge.

Colleges are supposed to be about education - and exposing our future leaders to a wide-range of experiences. This game would accomplish that - giving the students an experience that could not be duplicated in the U.S.

Stop reading my mind.

MACHIAVELLI
August 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM

My point is that none of us know, really. But does that mean we shouldn't do it? Maybe they knew then, but we don't know now. But I can see this getting political real fast. Politicians will be in line to get on board with this.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Let us not forget that Notre Dame played a game in Ireland years ago

Fordham and Holy Cross also played in Limerick, Ireland in 1992, as did Rutgers and Pittsburgh in 1989.

HIU 93
August 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM

You didn't attend a HBCU, nor do you contribute anything positive to any. You don't have a proverbial dog in this fight, so butt out.

HIU 93
August 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I could not have stated it better myself. Bravo, dback.:hurray:

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
The Nigerian game is moving forward...

Questions still remain about a HBCU "national title" game...

Black football stars set to play in Nigeria
Updated 10/4/2006 9:25 PM ET
By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY

Nigeria, it appears, is ready for a little college football.

The Atlanta-based Eddie Robinson Foundation will sponsor a black college all-star game in Abuja in December and hopes to stage a black national championship game in the Nigerian capital in subsequent years.

"There are so many classics out there. We didn't want to do a me-too event," says foundation CEO Michael Watkins, who'll announce the plans Monday. The Nigerian government will help underwrite the $5 million cost of the game, and organizers are seeking a television home, he says.

The Eddie Robinson Motherland Classic, with players from the historically black I-AA Mid-Eastern Athletic and Southwestern Athletic conferences, as well as the Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association and Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, will be played Dec. 17 in 60,000-seat Abuja Stadium.

A championship game, meanwhile, faces hurdles. NCAA rules changes must be fast-tracked to allow a game in 2007. And MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas says he's working toward a black title game on U.S. soil.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-10-04-nigeria_x.htm

flea
December 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Fordham and Holy Cross also played in Limerick, Ireland in 1992, as did Rutgers and Pittsburgh in 1989.

Sorry to bump such an old thread but am a new member & just wanr=ted to add,

Rhode Island v Massachusts
Tufts v Bowdoin also played in ireland

Fordham
December 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Fordham and Holy Cross also played in Limerick, Ireland in 1992, as did Rutgers and Pittsburgh in 1989. Guys that played in the Fordham-HC game in '92 still rave it about it as being one of the top experiences they've ever had. Maybe the question for this proposal isn't as much about what your average African may get out of it as much as the players who go there to play in it may get out of it in terms of personal growth & perspective. Sounds pretty cool to me as well. As a fan of our level of football it sounds like it could produce some pretty positive press for some of our brethren schools.

:thumbsup:

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2006, 10:09 AM
What's the latest update on this game happening?

Sir William
December 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM

It is a great idea. And a great idea demands great teams. Forget the SWAC v CIAA! Should be ACC v SEC, or Big Ten v. PAC-10, etc.

C'mon.

flea
December 29th, 2006, 03:33 AM
It is a great idea. And a great idea demands great teams. Forget the SWAC v CIAA! Should be ACC v SEC, or Big Ten v. PAC-10, etc.

C'mon.

Notre Dame Navy played here & are coming back again. Also a couple of Division 3 teams (John Carroll & Adrian College) have played against our National team

jessesd
January 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Both ends of the spectrum would benefit from the exposure (America and either Gambia and Nigeria). Its ironic how many Americans think that Africa is a ravaged bushland when some of the larger cities are regional centers of industry and are able to maintain viable economies with more spendable capital and stronger buying power that most of the cities in the "Dirty South"
In addition it would open the eyes of many black studensts who had spent most of their lives stuck in the ignorant riddle south when they see the way african economies are evolving, lets not forget the increased in recruiting of full tuition paying (RICH) international students (who donate tons of money to their host unis).
Also, picture this place full of "well educated black fans (the only ones who will pay to see amer football in africa) screaming and cheering on a pitch filled with black students.
Abuja Stadium

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/nigeria/abuja_stadium.shtml
Abuja Stadium

It may be a win situation for all

Lehigh Football Nation
January 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Both ends of the spectrum would benefit from the exposure (America and either Gambia and Nigeria). Its ironic how many Americans think that Africa is a ravaged bushland when some of the larger cities are regional centers of industry and are able to maintain viable economies with more spendable capital and stronger buying power that most of the cities in the "Dirty South" . In addition it would open the eyes of many black studensts who had spent most of their lives stuck in the ignorant riddle south when they see the way african economies are evolving, lets not forget the increased in recruiting of full tuition paying (RICH) international students (who donate tons of money to their host unis). Also, picture this place full of "well educated black fans (the only ones who will pay to see amer football in africa) screaming and cheering on a pitch filled with black students.

:rolleyes:

Let's not go into a game in Africa stupidly, shall we, or make comments that Africa is somehow better than the "Dirty South"? I'd say almost all the citizens of the Gambia and Nigeria would give their right foot to be in the "Dirty South".

These articles should tell you all about the political climate of these two countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6213027.stm

Nigeria vows to curb oil blazes

Nigeria's government has promised measures to avoid future disasters, after a pipeline explosion killed at least 260 people in Lagos.
Pipeline fires occur frequently in Nigeria as people try to scoop up fuel leaking from pipes that have broken or been vandalised.

"The government is encouraging the establishment of more refineries... so there will be less incentive for people to try to profiteer from the sale of petroleum products," Mr Nweke told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

Some 2,000 people have died in similar incidents in recent years in Nigeria.

Although Nigeria is Africa's largest oil exporter, it suffers regular shortages of petrol and diesel because it relies on imports of refined fuel from the West.

Hundreds of people in a Lagos suburb were scooping fuel from a pipeline punctured by thieves when it exploded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/1032156.stm

BBC Profile of Gambia

Yahya Jammeh seized power in 1994 as a young army lieutenant and has won three widely criticised multi-party elections since then.

He won his third five-year term in September 2006 with more than two-thirds of the votes cast. His main rival, Oussainou Darboe, rejected the result, saying there had been widespread intimidation by local chiefs, governors and members of the security forces.

Commonwealth observers said overt support for Jammeh from public officials during the run-up to the vote may have given him an unfair advantage.

Jammeh's government has been criticised by international rights groups for its attitude to civil liberties, especially freedom of the press.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has described press freedom in Gambia as "catastrophic", with death threats, surveillance and arbitrary night-time arrests the daily lot of journalists "who do not sing the government's praises".

Many Gambians privately disapprove of the iron-fisted nature of his rule, which has seen political opponents and journalists imprisoned without charge, but say he has done much to improve schools, hospitals and roads.

lizrdgizrd
January 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
... "Dirty South" ... ignorant riddle south...
What?!? :confused:

jstate83
January 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Both ends of the spectrum would benefit from the exposure (America and either Gambia and Nigeria). Its ironic how many Americans think that Africa is a ravaged bushland when some of the larger cities are regional centers of industry and are able to maintain viable economies with more spendable capital and stronger buying power that most of the cities in the "Dirty South"
In addition it would open the eyes of many black studensts who had spent most of their lives stuck in the ignorant riddle south when they see the way african economies are evolving, lets not forget the increased in recruiting of full tuition paying (RICH) international students (who donate tons of money to their host unis).
Also, picture this place full of "well educated black fans (the only ones who will pay to see amer football in africa) screaming and cheering on a pitch filled with black students.
Abuja Stadium

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/nigeria/abuja_stadium.shtml
Abuja Stadium

It may be a win situation for all

Man....................You made yourself one of the most closed-minded, bias, ignorant dumb arses with these 2 statements.:eyebrow:

Do people a favor and quit posting your bullshat.xidiotx
1 post is enough dumbarse. xidiotx

The only thing this proves is you have not been past the end of your "driveway".

jstate83
January 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
What?!? :confused:

Just an idiot that think's he's up on Southern "Hip Hop" slang.xlolx

Cobblestone
January 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry to bump such an old thread but am a new member & just wanr=ted to add,

Rhode Island v Massachusts
Tufts v Bowdoin also played in ireland

Rhode Island v Massachusts was scheduled to be played in Limerick, Ireland but was cancelled and instead played at UMASS. I don't recall the year though, it was sometime in the early 1990's. Rhode Island did play Villanova in Milan, Italy in 1989 I believe.

bluehenbillk
January 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I understand the SWAC wanting to play a game in Africa but against a D-2 HBCU?? That's the part that doesn't make as much sense to me...why not work something out with the MEAC?

flea
January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Rhode Island v Massachusts was scheduled to be played in Limerick, Ireland but was cancelled and instead played at UMASS. I don't recall the year though, it was sometime in the early 1990's. Rhode Island did play Villanova in Milan, Italy in 1989 I believe.

It was?? Could have sworn they played here I have a newspaper cut-out somewhere, must look it up.

Umass74
January 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cobblestone is correct.

There was going to be a Rams-Minutemen game in Ireland, but it was canceled.

Trust me on this one.

flea
January 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cobblestone is correct.

There was going to be a Rams-Minutemen game in Ireland, but it was canceled.

Trust me on this one.

Good enough for me I'll bow to y'all knowledge as I didn't go just thought I read about it.

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
I understand the SWAC wanting to play a game in Africa but against a D-2 HBCU?? That's the part that doesn't make as much sense to me...why not work something out with the MEAC?

Because the game is about HBCUs, not about FCS.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Too many people worry about classifications on this website...

I can see it now, three Africans sitting around the office talking amongst themselves saying that they will not attend the game because a Div. I is playing a Div. II team. :rolleyes:

This game is about black college football being played in Africa! Regardless if it's NCAA vs NAIA or NJCAA. The pagentry of Black College Football.

TxSt02
January 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/villanova/opponents_records.php?teamid=2698

bluehenbillk
January 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Too many people worry about classifications on this website...

I can see it now, three Africans sitting around the office talking amongst themselves saying that they will not attend the game because a Div. I is playing a Div. II team. :rolleyes:

This game is about black college football being played in Africa! Regardless if it's NCAA vs NAIA or NJCAA. The pagentry of Black College Football.

There will always be a racism divide in this country if blacks continue to separate themselves. Let's face it, it's the pagentry of College Football.

HIU 93
January 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM
There will always be a racism divide in this country if blacks continue to separate themselves. Let's face it, it's the pagentry of College Football.

Wow. It is amazing that you list your location as Lincoln University (the very first HBCU), but you make a statement like that.

bluehenbillk
January 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
That's where I live & I see it every day. How can you change the world when you separate yourself from it?

HIU 93
January 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
That's where I live & I see it every day. How can you change the world when you separate yourself from it?

How are we seperating ourselves from the world? Don't we live in the world? I work for the government, in the national capital region, and I have to travel the world for my job. How does the fact that I chose Hampton University for my undergraduate education seperate me from the world any more than the the fact you chose UD seperate you from the world?

HIU 93
January 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM

Are you going to answer the question?

bluehenbillk
January 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
It's not worth wasting thread space just talking to a wall. :bang: :bang:

I know I'm not going to change your mind which is fine, continue to separate yourselves. I'll just leave with one point, there are African-American this or Black that, HBCU's, different contests, awards, etc, that are limited to your own race. Why? I think you'd accomplish much more by assimilating rather than segregating. I'm not speaking for a whole race because I realize it's really only a minority that follows that line of thinking.

Thanks for your interest.

HIU 93
January 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
It's not worth wasting thread space just talking to a wall. :bang: :bang:

I know I'm not going to change your mind which is fine, continue to separate yourselves. I'll just leave with one point, there are African-American this or Black that, HBCU's, different contests, awards, etc, that are limited to your own race. Why? I think you'd accomplish much more by assimilating rather than segregating. I'm not speaking for a whole race because I realize it's really only a minority that follows that line of thinking.

Thanks for your interest.

HBCUs are not limited to one race. No American colleges and universities are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race. To make that statement is false and to use that non-fact as a basis for an argument is nonsense. A person who actually believes that HBCUs are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race when no other American universities are is either ignorant of the law or has another agenda which they are trying to promote.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
HBCUs are not limited to one race. No American colleges and universities are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race. To make that statement is false and to use that non-fact as a basis for an argument is nonsense. A person who actually believes that HBCUs are allowed to discriminate on the basis of race when no other American universities are is either ignorant of the law or has another agenda which they are trying to promote.

Thanks HIU 93,

Some folks swear we teach Black Accounting, Black Calculus, Black English, Black Science, Black Law and Black Pharmacy at HBCU's. Texas Southern is more diverse than the University of Texas and Texas A&M combined. And yes, go ahead everybody and research it.

jstate83
January 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks HIU 93,

Some folks swear we teach Black Accounting, Black Calculus, Black English, Black Science, Black Law and Black Pharmacy at HBCU's. Texas Southern is more diverse than the University of Texas and Texas A&M combined. And yes, go ahead everybody and research it.

I keep telling ya'll when the convo go in that direction, let them spew their usual uninformed garbage.xlolx

Ain't worth the time of typing a response.xlolx

NC Aggie
January 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM

The U.S. needs to strengthen its relationship with Africa. This is an extremely small event in the scheme of things, but it is something.

Africa is a very diverse, complex place. Muslim/Christian/anamists varying tribes/ethnicities, etc. If you improve relations with one country, you are probably ticking of another country. Take the recent Somalian battle. Ethiopia invades to protect their interests and Eritrea supports the Islamisits simply because they are fighting Ethiopians. Both Ethiopia and Eritrea have largely Christian led governments.

I think the game idea is fine...but I don't think it will exactly change the world.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 3rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
I keep telling ya'll when the convo go in that direction, let them spew their usual uninformed garbage.xlolx

Ain't worth the time of typing a response.xlolx

The reason I know we are is because a reporter from the Washington Post interviewed me back in October about the subject.

HIU 93
January 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
The reason I know we are is because a reporter from the Washington Post interviewed me back in October about the subject.

It doesn't even take that much to do some basic research. Three clicks and a few keystrokes and one can find almost any educational statistics they want. As you well know, the majority of those who have a problem with HBCUs have an agenda to promote which is not based on anything but ignorance and untruth. Notice not one of the HBCU opponents has done even rudimentary factual research to back up any of their claims. But we're the ones who don't know what we are talking about, right?:rolleyes:

Appstate29
January 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Not that this isn't a great idea, but I know plenty of Africans and they don't know anything about American football. I really don't see this garnering much attention, other than people wanting to come to America to study.

HIU 93
January 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Not that this isn't a great idea, but I know plenty of Africans and they don't know anything about American football. I really don't see this garnering much attention, other than people wanting to come to America to study.

That's the point.

Fordham
January 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM
The same could be said about our game v. HC in Limerick, Ireland in 91/92, though, in terms of not "see(ing) this garnering much attention." However, the novelty of the game produced a great and very loud local crowd (who really supported the underdog Rams well, I might add ;) ).

The point, though, wasn't so much that we were trying to tap new markets on behalf of what was then still I-AA football but rather that it got us some American press who mentioned it due to where it was played when they otherwise likely would not have AND, more important, the value that our players gained from an incredible life experience that they still talk about today. I don't see the downside here, fellas, just upside.

The other thing is that I wish that at least once every 4 years we would return and play there again so that every class could experience that at least at some point in their playing career. Not sure how prohibitive the costs are to keep something like from happening but I would imagine that would be a nice recruiting tool as well.

HIU 93
January 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
The same could be said about our game v. HC in Limerick, Ireland in 91/92, though, in terms of not "see(ing) this garnering much attention." However, the novelty of the game produced a great and very loud local crowd (who really supported the underdog Rams well, I might add ;) ).

The point, though, wasn't so much that we were trying to tap new markets on behalf of what was then still I-AA football but rather that it got us some American press who mentioned it due to where it was played when they otherwise likely would not have AND, more important, the value that our players gained from an incredible life experience that they still talk about today. I don't see the downside here, fellas, just upside.

The other thing is that I wish that at least once every 4 years we would return and play there again so that every class could experience that at least at some point in their playing career. Not sure how prohibitive the costs are to keep something like from happening but I would imagine that would be a nice recruiting tool as well.

To quote the Fonz- Correctomundo!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cobblestone
January 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I would imagine that would be a nice recruiting tool as well.

That hits the nail right on the head.

flea
January 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I'd support that :rotateh:

bostonspider
January 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I noticed that Richmond and Boston University played in London in 1988 as well. I think that game was actually broadcast on ESPN as well....

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I've noticed a trend here.

HC vs. Fordham in Ireland
Richmond vs. BU in London
Harvard vs. Princeton in Japan
Grambling, Idaho State also played in Japan

Princeton & Harvard has more than enough money in their endowment to take a loss on football, but look at the others. BU gave up football, and HC, Fordham, and Richmond have had money issues in recent memory in regards to football. (Idaho State & Grambling I won't say anything since I don't know.)

Personally, I don't think HC, Fordham, or Richmond all of a sudden found themselves so much better in terms of enrollment, football teams, or otherwise as a result of the game. It simply seems to have been a neat recruiting tool for one year that cost a whole hell of a lot of money. This is a great question to ask the ADs of HC, Fordham, and Richmond of that time: Was it worth it? Obviously not to BU, who eventually said football was too much of a money pit and folded the program.

Even if you take Princeton and/or Harvard as an example. What did the games do for the schools involved? Anything? What about ISU and Grambling?

I think this is how this African FCS game should be judged. If these games are how it's going to be compared, that's not a great track record. :twocents:

Fordham
January 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I've noticed a trend here.

HC vs. Fordham in Ireland
Richmond vs. BU in London
Harvard vs. Princeton in Japan
Grambling, Idaho State also played in Japan

Princeton & Harvard has more than enough money in their endowment to take a loss on football, but look at the others. BU gave up football, and HC, Fordham, and Richmond have had money issues in recent memory in regards to football. (Idaho State & Grambling I won't say anything since I don't know.)

Personally, I don't think HC, Fordham, or Richmond all of a sudden found themselves so much better in terms of enrollment, football teams, or otherwise as a result of the game. It simply seems to have been a neat recruiting tool for one year that cost a whole hell of a lot of money. This is a great question to ask the ADs of HC, Fordham, and Richmond of that time: Was it worth it? Obviously not to BU, who eventually said football was too much of a money pit and folded the program.

Even if you take Princeton and/or Harvard as an example. What did the games do for the schools involved? Anything? What about ISU and Grambling?

I think this is how this African FCS game should be judged. If these games are how it's going to be compared, that's not a great track record. :twocents:
Your post is clear as mud. How exactly do you think this Afican FCS game should be judged <seriously, it's not clear from your post>? Are you saying that it should be based upon better enrollment or better football teams? How exactly are you going to measure that? Hell, there are other threads on here where we're discussing the Flutie effect and even though there is a clear ascension of BC's academic rankings since that moment and they moved from a regional to national university, there's still no way to definitively tie that back to the Flutie moment. So how the hell are you going to judge whether or not it's 'worth it' if there's no way to measure your criteria?

The other thing is that every one of my posts clearly stated that the biggest reason to do this imo and the best thing that Fordham got out of it was an incredible and enriching life experience for its players. Why did you ignore all of that? Shouldn't providing such an enriching experience to its students be one of the goals of our institutions of higher learning?

:nonono2:

bostonspider
January 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Gotta agree with Fordham on this one, it was done for the experience, just like sending the basketball team on a summer / fall trip to France. And Richmond has never had money issues when it came to football or anything. They did have some gender equality numbers issues which made them lower scholarships for football a few years ago, but eventually worked that out and are back again at full strength. They looked at going non scholly Patriot League a couple of years ago for academic reasons, not monetary. With and endowment well over a Billion dollars, money is not normally a major issue at Richmond....

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
They looked at going non scholly Patriot League a couple of years ago for academic reasons, not monetary. With and endowment well over a Billion dollars, money is not normally a major issue at Richmond....

That's not true. Richmond's board at the time said moving to the Patriot League was a consideration to save money. Even if that was bullcrap and it really was for academic reasons, it's all the press talked about.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
...the biggest reason to do this imo and the best thing that Fordham got out of it was an incredible and enriching life experience for its players. Why did you ignore all of that? Shouldn't providing such an enriching experience to its students be one of the goals of our institutions of higher learning?

:nonono2:

For certain it would be a great, life-enriching experience for all involved. But at what monetary cost to the university? Paying for a staff of 25 to send the basketball team to France is one thing. Paying for 200 people to go to another country - oh by the way, also arranging for vaccinations against malaria, bringing football equipment - that's quite different. You can't ignore cost simply because it's a neat experience.

HIU 93
January 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I think this is how this African FCS game should be judged.

Once again, the game is not about FCS. It is about HBCUs.

Fordham
January 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
For certain it would be a great, life-enriching experience for all involved. But at what monetary cost to the university? Paying for a staff of 25 to send the basketball team to France is one thing. Paying for 200 people to go to another country - oh by the way, also arranging for vaccinations against malaria, bringing football equipment - that's quite different. You can't ignore cost simply because it's a neat experience.

And you can't hang your hat on cost when you have no idea what those costs are and whether or not they may be defrayed by an organization or alumnus who wants this game to take place there.

Look, if you're against it, you're against it but it's how definitively you've come down on this as though you know all the facts that bugs me as well as the ridiculous measurables you set forth for how our game or this game should be judged ("better in terms of enrollment, football teams, or otherwise "). Of course financials are going to be considered and the game shouldn't take place at any cost (no one has said or implied that this game should take place without financial considerations) but not only do you have no idea what those financials are and therefore there's no solid basis for your critique but there are people in place at each university who's job it is to determine whether or not the trip is worth the cost.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
And you can't hang your hat on cost when you have no idea what those costs are and whether or not they may be defrayed by an organization or alumnus who wants this game to take place there.

Look, if you're against it, you're against it but it's how definitively you've come down on this as though you know all the facts that bugs me as well as the ridiculous measurables you set forth for how our game or this game should be judged ("better in terms of enrollment, football teams, or otherwise "). Of course financials are going to be considered and the game shouldn't take place at any cost (no one has said or implied that this game should take place without financial considerations) but not only do you have no idea what those financials are and therefore there's no solid basis for your critique but there are people in place at each university who's job it is to determine whether or not the trip is worth the cost.

Agreed about hanging my hat only on cost. But isn't it worth noting that none of the schools mentioned in this entire thread have repeated the experience? Isn't that some sort of indicator that not a few of the schools didn't think it was worth doing on a regular basis? Even Harvard and Yale, two of the top endowment schools on the planet, didn't keep the Japan bowl going.

Also, I did mention that it would be interesting to talk to the ADs at the time the decision was made, to see if it was "worth it". I don't know how much it costs - I never said I did - but it is more than sending a basketball team and their entourage overseas. That much I know.

Believe it or not, I'm not totally against this idea. It's enriching for the student-athletes. It may be one of the few times athletes, students, football staff members and entourage can go overseas as ambassadors of the game. If an organization or government wants to foot the entire bill, great! Go for it!

At the same time, though, if you are shelling out money on your program, where is your money better spent? This trip, or that state-of-the-art Iron Works for lifting weights, that FieldTurf, that new field house, that video replay machine? If you already have those things and you want to play a game overseas, fine! But just don't be under any illiusions about the costs/coordination involved.

It seems like whenever I bring up the bottom line, folks get awfully defensive.