PDA

View Full Version : Don Hansen's Football Gazette I-AA All-American Team

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Ricky Santos (UNH), David Ball (UNH), Laurent Robinson (Illinois St) and Henry Tolbert (Grambling) headline the 1st team offense...

Defensively, Marques Murrell (AppSt), Keldrick Holman (SFA), and Clint Sellers (Eastern Illinois) headline things...

Below is Don Hansen's Football Gazette I-AA All-American Team...

***Warning PDF file***
http://www.donhansen.com/AA/2006/2006%20Football%20Gazette%20NCAA%201-AA%20Pre-season%20A-A%20Team.pdf

fuEMO
August 1st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Wow!!

No jerome Felton on 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention.

APP fans should have some issues with this All-American Team too.

Looks like Mr. Hansen has a thing for Wofford 7 players? WT*.

Furman 1.

TheTribeHasSpoken
August 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Cody Morris, second team OL:nod: :nod: :nod: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

August 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Wow!! No jerome Felton on 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention.:eek:

GeauxColonels
August 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
I guess Nicholls State doesn't run the ball at all according to Mr. Hansen. No RBs or linemen in ANY of his lists.

Is this the guy that had 3 daughters that started a band? Oh, I mean sons.

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM
Good old Don Hansen always seems to be marching to a different drummer. Some guys chosen ahead of other guys who were all-conference team members when the DH All-Americans were not even mentioned on their all-conference teams. Jerome Felton has to be the most overlooked guy. I guess Hansen doesn't realize that some teams still play with fullbacks. Lex Hilliard is another one who is surprising missing even as an honorable mention pick. Maybe Don Hansen knows something about Wofford the rest of us don't.

blukeys
August 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
I guess Nicholls State doesn't run the ball at all according to Mr. Hansen. No RBs or linemen in ANY of his lists.

Is this the guy that had 3 daughters that started a band? Oh, I mean sons.

I always take Hansen's stuff with a grain of salt. He is very well meaning and he tries to cover ALL THE DIVISIONS that are not I-A.

Since he takes on such a big job there will be gaps in his coverage as there are in all rankings.

On the one hand he was a consistent believer and advocate of Colgate in 2003. On the other hand he was not a believer in Delaware in 2003.

He is located in the Mid West and gets to see more Mid West teams in person (again all divisions not just I-AA). If you take this into consideration his effort is more then commendable and certainly worth a look at.

blukeys
August 1st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Good old Don Hansen always seems to be marching to a different drummer. Some guys chosen ahead of other guys who were all-conference team members when the DH All-Americans were not even mentioned on their all-conference teams. Jerome Felton has to be the most overlooked guy. I guess Hansen doesn't realize that some teams still play with fullbacks. Lex Hilliard is another one who is surprising missing even as an honorable mention pick. Maybe Don Hansen knows something about Wofford the rest of us don't.

I too have been amazed at the lack of attenttion Felton has gotten not just in Hansen's rankings but in all of the preaseason All-America teams.

IMHO no back was more crucial to their team's offense than Felton.(although Cuff and Hilliard would be a close second)

Furman ran a ball control offense and all of the wide open plays depended on Felton establishing himself in the middle.

I can only surmise that some are ranking the backs based on pro potential and they see Felton as too slow to be a pro prospect.

In my view Hansen has never gotten to see Furman and Felton's contribution to this team. As I stated earlier Hansen has taken on ranking all of D-I AA, D-2 and D-3. That's over 500 teams. I would expect some mistakes in that scenario.

downbythebeach
August 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm not anti Don Hansen at all but their is a lil bias in his picks maybe the opposite of East Coast Bias....but I guess that is alright. D3football.com has a entire article about how much they dislike his picks....but for I-AA I think he is pretty good....to his credit it is hard to pick D3 because there are some many teams and it doesnt get the pub that we get. My only gripe is that his Mid Major rankings favor mid west or maybe red state teams like Drake, Dayton, Jacksonville and the other PFL teams.

Tod
August 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
15 Running Backs and no Lex? Sorry, I'm not a homer (I try not to be), but bulls#it. No way.

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
I too have been amazed at the lack of attenttion Felton has gotten not just in Hansen's rankings but in all of the preaseason All-America teams.

IMHO no back was more crucial to their team's offense than Felton.(although Cuff and Hilliard would be a close second)

Furman ran a ball control offense and all of the wide open plays depended on Felton establishing himself in the middle.

I can only surmise that some are ranking the backs based on pro potential and they see Felton as too slow to be a pro prospect.

In my view Hansen has never gotten to see Furman and Felton's contribution to this team. As I stated earlier Hansen has taken on ranking all of D-I AA, D-2 and D-3. That's over 500 teams. I would expect some mistakes in that scenario.
Word I've heard is Felton is already projected as a third-round NFL pick and he is still developing, with two more years to get better and (scary) stronger. I personally think he is the best fullback in ALL of college football right now. By the way, Felton and Furman were on television at least six times last year, so it wasn't that tough to see the Paladins and their fine fullback play. I saw them three times in person as well.

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 11:33 PM
15 Running Backs and no Lex? Sorry, I'm not a homer (I try not to be), but bulls#it. No way.

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
Hard to believe that Lex isn't listed among at the very least, the top six running backs in the country. Hansen had some runners listed that no one else had on their first, second or third teams (even though all are quality backs, some of them are just not as good as our favorite Griz).

Tod
August 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
Hard to believe that Lex isn't listed among at the very least, the top six running backs in the country. Hansen had some runners listed that no one else had on their first, second or third teams (even though all are quality backs, some of them are just not as good as our favorite Griz).

I don't mean to dis those players that were named, I'm sure they're all damn good players.

Mr. C
August 1st, 2006, 11:47 PM
I don't mean to dis those players that were named, I'm sure they're all damn good players.
Most of them just are not as good as Lex Hilliard. No disrespect taken in my view.

UNH 40
August 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Just a little correction. Santos is from Bellingham, Massachusetts not Washington.

DUPFLFan
August 2nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
My only gripe is that his Mid Major rankings favor mid west or maybe red state teams like Drake, Dayton, Jacksonville and the other PFL teams.

Maybe the PFL is better that you think it is...:nod: Although Kevin Hoying is missing from that group - so Dayton fans may have a gripe...

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
What?! Jordan Scott of Colgate 1st-Team Offense?? And Clifton Dawson of Harvard is on the 3rd-Team??.... um... maybe a reversal is in order..

And Saraceno of Colgate honorable mention QB??? yeah ok...

Hansen needs to get realistic, as usual... still scoff at his #1 Lehigh ranking in 2002.

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Ricky Santos (UNH), David Ball (UNH), Laurent Robinson (Illinois St) and Henry Tolbert (Grambling) headline the 1st team offense...

Defensively, Marques Murrell (AppSt), Keldrick Holman (SFA), and Clint Sellers (Eastern Illinois) headline things...

Below is Don Hansen's Football Gazette I-AA All-American Team...

***Warning PDF file***
http://www.donhansen.com/AA/2006/2006%20Football%20Gazette%20NCAA%201-AA%20Pre-season%20A-A%20Team.pdf

There isn't one Bearkat on any of his lists!:eek: :nonono2:
Not even honorable mention.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah! UCA got a couple of honorable mentions! Not bad for not even playing a down in I-AA!

of course by the end of the year....FAIROOZ!

lucchesicourt
August 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
UC Davis had one of the top defenses in the country last year, and yet not one player made even honorable mention.

1aafan86
August 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=blukeys]I too have been amazed at the lack of attenttion Felton has gotten not just in Hansen's rankings but in all of the preaseason All-America teams.

Its not pro potential, because Ive also heard from very reliable sources that Felton could be one of the highest players taken in the draft from 1aa. He can move, especially beeing 250.
and, i agreehe was a 1st team all-american in the 1aa.org pole and sportsnetwork pole, how in the world could he not have been 1, 2, or 3rd, it dont make any sense.:nono: