PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky player suspensions

UNDBIZ
October 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I just saw that the Big Sky suspended 1 player each from Idaho St, Cal Poly, and Cal Davis for illegal hits (helmet 2 helmet, defenseless receiver, etc). I'd never heard of 3 players from a single conference in a single week being suspended for making big hits. Is this a common occurrence? Didn't think this was the nfl..... xchinscratchx

Note: A 2nd player from Idaho St. was suspended by the conference for throwing a punch, but that seems more understandable. xnonox

Walkon79
October 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Didn't see them all, but the one on UCD was the right call, even though it wasn't called on the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just read this in the paper.The Big Sky seems to be leading the way in trying to prevent these type of hits.

darell1976
October 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I just saw that the Big Sky suspended 1 player each from Idaho St, Cal Poly, and Cal Davis for illegal hits (helmet 2 helmet, defenseless receiver, etc). I'd never heard of 3 players from a single conference in a single week being suspended for making big hits. Is this a common occurrence? Didn't think this was the nfl..... xchinscratchx

Note: A 2nd player from Idaho St. was suspended by the conference for throwing a punch, but that seems more understandable. xnonox

Are they going to suspend players for other calls(or non-calls) chop blocks, personal fouls, etc. Stuff that requires a 15yard penalty, but a game suspension? The NCAA did that in hockey where you drop the gloves you are out the next game. They are really nitpicking sports. Lose your helmet you must sit out the next play. That makes no sense. This is college not pee-wee.

LakesBison
October 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Big fluffy lives up to their name. Seriously suspending for a game, that's a lil drastic. I'm trying to stick up for these players so much for tough guy football.
Anyone see south park last week sarcasti-ball thats what theyll be playing soon

tingly
October 10th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I checked the Cal Poly play. He dove helmet-first into the ball carrier's chest/shoulder. He had a clear shot at the waist/legs, so I don't know what he was thinking.

LakesBison
October 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
They looked minor to me toughen up out west !

Hawk98
October 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM
This is a good thing. It's too bad the NFL won't lead the way in player safety issues, but at least some football leadership cares about not having people break necks on the field.

SeattleGriz
October 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
This is a good thing. It's too bad the NFL won't lead the way in player safety issues, but at least some football leadership cares about not having people break necks on the field.

...and possible lawsuits down the road. Look at how the old NFL'ers are trying to come out and sue for past head trauma.

Maybe I am being a bit of an alarmist, but you wait, it will happen.

NoCoDanny
October 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM

From the guy sitting in the stands with pom poms who's never worn a jock.

MTfan4life
October 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Says the guy who thought the Joe Mays hit was minor...

Bisonoline
October 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I checked the Cal Poly play. He dove helmet-first into the ball carrier's chest/shoulder. He had a clear shot at the waist/legs, so I don't know what he was thinking.

Its the culture of football for the last 20 years. Fundamentals were tossed out the window in favor of the big hit-blow up tackle. Years ago you never saw a defender hitting a player without wrapping him up. Now all that has to be UN-learned.

malibudude
October 11th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Right calls. Congrats to the BSC.

cpalum
October 11th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Good job Big Sky...Alex Hubbard is a great safety for CP but the hit was illegal.

LakesBison
October 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joe mays is 5 10 matt schaub 6 5 where do you think his head will go hitting him chest to chest?? Duh his crown hit schaubs facemask

MTfan4life
October 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joe mays is 5 10 matt schaub 6 5 where do you think his head will go hitting him chest to chest?? Duh his crown hit schaubs facemask

JFC dude, take your bison blinders off. Do you always watch football with biased tunnel vision? Mays didn't even try to use any part of his body other than his head. Leading with your head completely like that is just stupid. Look at Eric LeGrand; he's paralyzed for life from hitting a guy the exact same way. 1699716998

HailSzczur
October 11th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Good job on the BSC for recognizing there was a problem and addressing it properly. Protecting college players from dangerous, illegal hits I think is even more important than doing in the NFL. Pro players at least are gaining compensation for putting their bodies on the line. College players have a two-fold job (at least most do) as both a student and an athlete. As a college student I've seen friends and love ones in college experience head injuries, and it can cripple you academically for an entire semester. While I don't know that it was their expressed intent, protecting players from injuries like this can only help the student aspect of student athletes. Bravo BSC.

And now I'll step down from my student athletic soapbox.