PDA

View Full Version : Andy Talley Is A Good Dude & He Helps Save Lives

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2012, 02:49 PM
FCS is blessed with some really great coaches, AD's, staff, etc. in the Athletic Depts. and the schools in general. That's not even mentioning THE FANS that pitch in and help where they can. I am sure there are lots of things like this going on out there in communities around the country.

Andy Talley is one of those guys we should look at and say "Damn, that's pretty good work man!".

His foundation works to get bone marrow donors registered to save the lives of those that need the hand up. He has star athletes at our level that have selflessly given.

Read a little bit on Matt Sczur's journey into this if you have forgotten or didn't know about it in the first place.

http://www.useus.com/matt/

We were lucky to have Andy Talley agree to do an interview for our show last week. He seems about as genuine an individual as you can come across to me. I was not asked to put up a banner or anything like that in return for his time...he just did it.

What if we all pitched in and did this to help him with this endeavor? Maybe you are a student at one of these fine FCS schools...what if you got in contact with Andy Talley's Foundation to see what you could do to start something like this at your school if it's not already in place?

I don't know about you, but I'm doing it. Hell, Andy T. and Matt Sczur beat the Griz in the NC and it's at least an honor to know that we got taken down by some real good people...I still don't like it though.:D

The link is at the bottom of the page if you want to check out how to Get In The Game & Save A Life. Also here if it's easier:

http://www.talleybonemarrow.org/

Laker
October 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I signed up to be a bone marrow donor twenty years ago. Save a Life is exactly right- you may be able to do that for someone. Please consider who you might help and sign up.

Nova09
October 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Great job recognizing a fine coach and a better man, ursus. College athletics is about doing something meaningful, whether for the sake of the student-athletes, the university community at large, or society in general. Talley understands that and strives to shape the young men in a positive way while contributing to the university mission and giving back to the community.

As to your note about him seeming to be genuine, he absolutely is. That rubbed a lot of Griz folks the wrong way when he publicly praised JMU after Villanova lost to them in the playoffs and before Montana played them. The way we saw it, he's just not one for "coach-speak." He's not gonna give a vague response about them both being great teams; we all knew they were for making it that far. He gave his input from his perspective, which was honestly that the JMU team that year was one of the best he had seen in all his years of coaching. It had nothing to do with the opponent, just how good he thought JMU was. It's fine for a coach to use that as bulletin board material the week of a playoff game, but it amazed me how many Griz fans did/still do hold that against him as if it was some personal attack.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Great job recognizing a fine coach and a better man, ursus. College athletics is about doing something meaningful, whether for the sake of the student-athletes, the university community at large, or society in general. Talley understands that and strives to shape the young men in a positive way while contributing to the university mission and giving back to the community.

As to your note about him seeming to be genuine, he absolutely is. That rubbed a lot of Griz folks the wrong way when he publicly praised JMU after Villanova lost to them in the playoffs and before Montana played them. The way we saw it, he's just not one for "coach-speak." He's not gonna give a vague response about them both being great teams; we all knew they were for making it that far. He gave his input from his perspective, which was honestly that the JMU team that year was one of the best he had seen in all his years of coaching. It had nothing to do with the opponent, just how good he thought JMU was. It's fine for a coach to use that as bulletin board material the week of a playoff game, but it amazed me how many Griz fans did/still do hold that against him as if it was some personal attack.

It amazes me as well. I never understand everyone wanting what others see as their truth and then complaining or holding a gurdge when you get it. He's a damn good man, that's easy to see.

I just won't use him to set my betting lines.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Since there are a little over 800 people looking right now I wanted to bump this. Hope some of you guys (even if you are just a lurker) will take a look at this and go check out Andy Talley's Foundation.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The only folks who dislike Andy personally are disgruntled UD fans. Very worthy cause!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
The only folks who dislike Andy personally are disgruntled UD fans. Very worthy cause!

They must be very disgruntled because it would appear the even KC Keeler is involved with this. FWIW, I've never talked with any UD fans that would fit that profile. Even 93henfan, who by anyone's appraisal would be considered the bottom of the barrel for UD fans, is pretty damn level headed.

Had to take a shot at 93 as it's the only way to get him to post.:D

Anovafan
October 15th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the post about the foundation ursus. This is a very worthy cause that is trying to make a difference out there.

kalm
October 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Ursus I can relate from some friends who are in the know that Andy Talley is an absolute class act. And that was a great interview with him on the podcast. Cool guy and a worthy cause.

FormerPokeCenter
October 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM
It was a great interview. He sounds like the real deal. His "Get In The Game" initiative supports the "Be The Match" registry, which is also supported by the 24 Hours of Booty. That alone makes me like the guy. But, after hearing him speak, I'm now a fan.

I'm "almost" over my Villanova disdain from the 2002 Brett Gordon broken thumb game in Lake Charles! ;)

"Get in the Game" has me thinking about some ideas for next year's 24 HOB series... ;)

VUCats02
October 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM
A couple years ago I signed up for Talley's Be the Match program. Talley gets a lot of well-deserved credit for it.

T-Dog
October 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Great guy who can see eye to eye with most hobbits.

HailSzczur
October 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Great guy who can see eye to eye with most hobbits.

So funny to see him walking around with the guys. It's kind of sad, Jay Wright is a superstar on campus, everyone wants to talk to him or get a picture when they see him. When they see Andy the only reaction is who is that old guy in the golf cart.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM

17028......IT'S STRICT-LEE...UH FOOTBALL THIN'...NOT UH LIFE SAVIN'.....AN' BY DUH WAY......DELAWARE....USUAL-LEE....WINS....DUH CAA....BLOOD BANK DRIVE....xnodx....AWK!